Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

2006 World Cup; Germany

Old 07-12-2006, 09:40 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Well ya, it has to be proven which at this point may be impossible.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BstonBruin
the only reason why there are a lot of people in this country that dont like watching soccer is because they dont understand the game.
Just to add:
And also because most native-born never played the game.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:42 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,160 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Agreed with Zidane... but it will be hard to prove what Matress said. I mean, you already have about 4-5 different "translations" as to what he said, so obviously it's going to be hard to prove. I also wouldn't think they would suspend Matress, regardless of what he said. It would be setting a precident that can open up a huge can of worms down the road. Next thing you know people will be fighting during matches, and one guy will just come out and say, well, he said very harsh things to me and I snapped. So hopefully they don't start trying to police words on the pitch, b/c that won't end well for FIFA.
Exactly, you would have to punish every player on the field if that happened, since everybody talks trash. Besides, we don't know what Zidane said to Matrix.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:48 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

But the possibility exists that the Matress said something that was way over the line. I just hope FIFA does their due diligence to find out the truth. Players might thinking that if the Matress can get away with it, then so can I.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Maybe Materazzi said one of these...

An Italian primer sent to a brit who went to the final...

Since you are going to an Italian soccer match I thought I should arm you with some useful phrases. Especially since you will be drinking and your countrymen essentially pioneered soccer hooliganism I'm sure some of these will come in handy.

Vaf-fan- culo of course is the standard 'up your a**' or f**k you and a staple for Italian swearing

Italian swearing is very colorful and sometimes doesn't make sense. They like to use 'pig' and 'face' lot in front of other words.

Porca Puttana
Pig Whore
Porco Dio
Pig God
and then Porco Cane
Pig Dog
Faccia di culo
face of a**
Faccia di merda
face of s**t
Faccia di stronzo
s**t head
are all useful phrases during the course of the game.

If an italian shot on goal just misses yell out:

figlio di buttana
Son of a whore

If a french supporter starts taunting you a simple:

non mi rompere le palle
Don't break my balls

If they continue to taunt, use
Caccati in mano e prenditi a sciaffi
Go s**t in your hand and hit yourself

followed by:
Andate tutti a 'fanculo!
You can all go f**k yourselves!

If that should incite a fight to and things get rough be sure to use:
Nessuno me lo ficca in culo! Capesci
Nobody f**ks me up the a**! Understand!

If the mele breaks out in a restaraunt and you are then asked to leave be sure to respond with:
Vaffanculo a Lei, la sua moglie, e' la sua madre. Lei e' un cafone stronzo. Io non mangio in questo merdaio! Vada via in culo!
You, sir, go f**k yourself--and your wife and your mother. You are a common turd! I'm not going to eat in this s**thouse. F**k you!

Should France win remember to screem out:

no mi in frega un cazzo, io sono uno mangia cake....
I don't give a s**t, I'm english (mangia cake = cake eater)
Old 07-12-2006, 11:15 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Good article on BBC regarding trash talking:

Whatever Marco Materazzi said to warrant Zinedine Zidane's headbutt and dismissal in the World Cup final, his deliberate incitement certainly had the desired result.

While the Italian defender was laying splayed out following Zidane's shocking assault, he knew his wind-up tactics had worked a treat.

Disciples of the black art of provocation could have only sat back and saluted the way Materazzi set the trap for Zidane with a diatribe of allegedly inflammatory taunts and a less-than-subtle squeeze of the Frenchman's left nipple.

Disastrously, Zidane took the bait and became another high-profile victim of the ancient art of sledging - a tactic which, when carefully deployed in football, can be as effective as any clever tweak of team formation.

In Italy, winding up an opponent is part and parcel of the game and a basic way of trying to get one up on your opposite number
Mark Hateley

But how common are the wind-up tactics deployed by Materazzi which sparked such a devastating reaction from Zidane?

According to former England and AC Milan striker Mark Hateley, they are seen as a fundamental and legitimate way of gaining an advantage.

"In Italy, it's part and parcel of the game and a basic way of trying to get one over your opposite number," Hateley told BBC Sport.

"That sort of things goes on all the time. It's non-stop with the defenders, especially. They pinch you, try to annoy you by telling you you are playing really badly. I've even known spitting.

"They try and get a reaction from you, it's always been like that and it always will be."

Italians refer to this sort of behaviour on the football field as "furbo", which means cunning or savvy.

Hateley, who made 66 appearances for AC Milan between 1984-1987, insists that provocation is common at all levels of football, regardless of the country.
"It starts in the tunnel as soon as you come out of the changing rooms - balls might start to get kicked around and a 'stray' one might 'accidently' hit an opponent," added Hateley.

"Already, you've got someone fuming before they're even out on the pitch!

"Most teams target their opponents' weaknesses. For example, if one particular defender is slow, you put your fastest man up against him to try and break him down. If he has a temperament problem, you work on that too.

Every team in England has its wind-up merchants, some teams have three or four
Chris Waddle

"Players can lose focus and concentration because they are being distracted with their marker always on their case.
"Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I'm really disappointed that in this case it worked on Zidane, regardless of what was said to him."

Former England star Chris Waddle agrees that winding up opponents was common in the game when he played.

But he says, in his experience, it always stopped short of personal insults.

Waddle said: "It was never an issue when I played, either here in England, playing abroad for England or playing in France for Marseille.

"Every team in England has its wind-up merchants, some teams have three or four.

"The stuff dished out was mainly mickey-taking stuff, a bit of banter which you shrugged off and accepted as part and parcel of the game.
"It was mostly along the lines of 'I've won this or that, what have you won?'

"I've also heard some really funny stuff which had you in stitches.

"But I don't think I never heard anything really nasty or personal in all my years of playing, and I can only think that the episode with Zidane and Materazzi was a one-off."

Hateley believes that Italy's tactics in the World Cup final may also have led to Zidane's frustrations boiling over.

The 45-year-old ex-Rangers hitman, who also plied his trade in France with Monaco between 1987 and 1990, felt Zidane and his team-mates were becoming increasingly frustrated at failing to create a winning goal.

I'm sure we'll eventually hear what Materazzi said to make Zidane snap, but in reality the Italian defence did their job
Mark Hateley

"Because Italy don't play that far up the field it's difficult to get behind them," Hateley said.
"You are looking for the killer pass but they just sit in there. They are masters of just soaking up pressure.

"That, coupled with the verbal taunts and the little kicks and tugs can be a recipe for disaster if the opposition have players who overreact.

"I'm sure we'll eventually hear what Materazzi said to make Zidane snap, but in reality the Italian defence did their job."

Hateley insists, however, that whatever role Materazzi played in tainting Zidane's reputation in his swansong match, the World Cup winners deserved to be crowned champions.

"The way they conducted themselves off the field was a great credit to them," said Hateley.

"They were one the best teams to mix with the locals in Germany and made a lot of friends. Hopefully, this episode doesn't overshadow that."
Old 07-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Great article ^ , and further proof that smack-talking is commonplace in soccer. And the one guy who says he's never heard it get personal... well, I'm sure he's lucky, b/c it seems like the others have. And they all say the same thing, Matress did his job, got under Zidane's skin, and possibly helped Italy to the championship by being "furbo" in addition to soccer skills.

Good read....
Old 07-12-2006, 01:19 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Zidane speaks

Zinedine Zidane has apologised for the headbutt on Italy's Marco Materazzi which earned him a red card in Sunday's World Cup final penalty shoot-out loss.
But the France legend did not reveal what Materazzi said, only confirming that it was "very personal and concerned his mother and his sister".

In a French TV interview, Zidane, 34, said: "I want to ask for forgiveness from all the children who watched that.

"There was no excuse for it. I want to be open and honest about it."

Zidane was sent-off for the headbutt to Materazzi's chest in the second period of extra-time in Sunday's final in Berlin.

His words contradict Materazzi's take on the incident, in which the Italian admitted making an insulting remark to the midfielder, but denied he made reference to Zidane's mother.

Fifa is to investigate Zidane's sending off and the organisation's president Sepp Blatter has hinted that the France star could be stripped of his World Cup best player award.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:27 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Matrix speaks

“I said nothing that had anything to do with racism, religion or politics,” the defender told the Gazzetta dello Sport. “I didn’t even mention his mother. I lost my mother at the age of 15 and to this day am still moved to tears talking about her.”

There were suggestions in the world’s media that Zidane was infuriated by an alleged comment because his mother is currently battling a serious illness.

“Naturally, I had no idea Zidane’s mother was in hospital. I wish them all the best and a speedy recovery. As for Zidane, he has always been my hero and I admire him a great deal.”
Old 07-12-2006, 01:31 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Its official...

Zidane =
Old 07-12-2006, 01:37 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

FIFA to clear Matrix

FIFA are expected to clear Marco Materazzi for allegedly racially abusing Zinedine Zidane in the World Cup final due to a lack of evidence.
But the incident will not be forgotten by the fuming French when the sides collide in Paris on September 6 in a Euro 2008 qualifier.

And that means former Everton defender Materazzi can expect one hell of a Parisien reception in what promises to be one of THE grudge matches of all time.

FIFA are set to investigate Zidane's actions but sources admit proving Materazzi called the French skipper "the son of a terrorist whore" were fading last night.

And a French official who was at the Berlin final claims Zidane, 34, was annoyed because the Italians were making fun of his lack of hair and calling him 'Baldy'.

A source close to the Italian team told The Sun: "Zidane may have been provoked but this happens all the time.

"But the point is how can anyone prove what was actually said?

"It is virtually impossible. I believe he insulted his sister and Zidane snapped."

FIFA will ask Zidane for his side of events as well as asking for information from the match officials.

A statement from world football's governing body said: "FIFA will open a disciplinary investigation into Zidane's conduct to enable it to clarify the circumstances surrounding the incident as exactly as possible."

The source added: "Footballers can be very childish as far as insults are concerned and Zizou's lack of hair was certainly a target. On Sunday he received the usual shouts of 'Baldy' from the Italian defenders. The word never makes him happy but it inflamed an already tense situation.

"Far worse things were said too, of course, and that's when the trouble really started."
Baldy?!!?!?

That's going to be a great match in Paris. I have a feeling Nesta will be back by then and Matrix will stay home.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Its official...

Zidane =
Yup. But at least he's owning up to it and admits how wrong it was to do, regardless of what was said. I respect him for that (even though we all knew that's what he would do)...
Old 07-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

@ baldy. That's great!
Old 07-12-2006, 01:54 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
If it was just because of "baldy", then he's a fool. He could have shut them up a lot better by scoring the game winning goal.

But I do feel for him. Imagine getting thrown out out of your last game, which happens to be the world cup final because you're bald
Old 07-12-2006, 03:12 PM
I

Looks like the world cup could be taken away from Italy if it turns out that Materazzi said something about Zidane's religion. Not only the English, but also the Brasilian newspapers are saying that Materazzi said something about Zidane being a terrorist.

It pretty much says that Fifa has a new rule (Article 55) since March which states that if the players are discriminated by opposing players because of their skin color, race, religion, language, 3 points will be deducted automatically. If it's a "playoff" game, the team automatically gets disqualified.

Also, the Italian politicians said that France is a team without an identity because they are playing with "niggers, muslims and comunists."

http://www.sport1.de/de/sport/artikel_212058.html

12.07.2006Pöbeleien könnten Italien den Titel kosten
München - Noch ist nicht endgültig geklärt, was Marco Metarazzi während der Verlängerung des WM-Endspiels in Berlin so alles erzählt hat, bevor sich sein Gegenüber Zinedine Zidane zu einem rüden Kopfstoß gegen den Inter-Verteidiger hinreißen ließ.

Marco Materazzi war nach dem Kopfstoß von Zinedine Zidane außer sich
Gegen den Franzosen jedenfalls läuft bereits ein Disziplinarverfahren, das "Zizou" am Ende seinen MVP-Titel kosten könnte.

Die Fifa allerdings hat bereits angekündigt, auch die Hintergründe von Zindanes "Ausraster" eingehend untersuchen zu wollen - mit möglicherweise noch weitaus drastischeren Folgen für Materazzi und die italienische Mannschaft.
WM-Titel in Gefahr

Das Fifa-Reglement nämlich sieht durchaus drakonische Strafen für bestimmte Beleidigungen vor: Im schlimmsten Fall droht der "Squadra Azzurra" sogar die Aberkennung des WM-Titels.

Voraussetzung dafür wäre jedoch der Nachweis, dass Marco Materazzi seinen Kontrahenten mit herabwürdigenden oder verunglimpfenden Äußerungen in Bezug auf Rasse, Hautfarbe, Sprache, Religion oder Herkunft beleidigt hat.
"Sohn einer terroristischen Hure"

Nach Analysen von professionellen Lippenlesern kursieren derzeit mindestens zwei verschiedene Versionen des "Gesprächs" aus der 110. Minute.
Und beide unterstellen dem Italiener diskriminierende, rassistische und sexistische Beleidigungen aus der untersten Schublade.

Laut der ersten Variante soll er Zidane als "Sohn einer terroristischen Hure" beschimpft haben. Ein anderer Lippenleser behauptet, der 32-Jährige habe die Schwester des französischen Kapitäns zweimal als Prostituierte bezeichnet.
Materazzi verteidigt sich

Materazzi selbst hat inzwischen eingeräumt, Zidane beleidigt zu haben, streitet aber jeglichen rassistischen Inhalt ab. "Ich bin ungebildet. Ich weiß gar nicht, was ein islamischer Terrorist ist", versucht sich der 32-Jährige zu verteidigen.
Er habe lediglich auf eine unverschämte Bemerkung von Zidane reagiert und dabei nur Dinge gesagt, die auf dem Fußball-Feld Gang und Gäbe seien.
Was nun auch immer unter Fußball-Profis zum üblichen Umgangston gehört - sollte die Fifa eindeutige Beweise finden, die die Version der Lippenleser bestätigen, könnte sie die italienische Mannschaft auch im Nachhinein disqualifizieren und ihr den WM-Titel aberkennen.
Die rechtliche Situation:

Die Rechtsgrundlage liefert Artikel 55 des Disziplinarreglements, den die Fifa erst im März dieses Jahres verschärft hat. Im Absatz 4 heißt es:

"Verhalten sich Spieler, Offizielle von Verbänden oder Clubs sowie Zuschauer in irgendeiner Form diskriminierend oder menschenverachtend (…), so werden der entsprechenden Mannschaft, sofern zuordenbar, bei einem ersten Vergehen automatisch drei Punkte abgezogen. In Spielen ohne Punktevergabe wird die entsprechende Mannschaft, sofern zuordenbar, disqualifiziert."

Zidane äußert sich am Mittwoch

Am Mittwochabend will Zidane sein Schweigen brechen und sich im französischen Fernsehen zu den Geschehnissen im Endspiel äußern.

Aber selbst wenn er dabei die rassistischen Beleidigungen bestätigt, bliebe die Beweislage für die Fifa eher dürftig: Es stünde dann Aussage gegen Aussage.
Denn auf die Gutachten diverser Lippenleser - die zudem zu unterschiedlichen Ergebnissen kommen - wird kein Sportgericht ein derart gravierendes Urteil wie die Disqualifikation der italienischen Mannschaft stützen.
Rassismus-Diskussion in Italien

Doch auch wenn die "Squadra Azzurra" den Titel behalten darf: Es bleibt ein fader Beigeschmack, zumal die Rassismus-Diskussion im italienischen Fußball nicht erst seit der WM auf der Tagesordnung steht.

Zu allem Überfluss fühlte sich nun auch noch der Rechtspopulist Roberto Calderoli um seine Meinung gefragt und sorgte mit einer üblen Schimpftirade gegen die französische Mannschaft für einen Eklat.

"Neger, Moslems und Kommunisten"

Der Politiker aus der italienischen Oppositionspartei Lega Nord beschimpfte die "Equipe Tricolore" als "Mannschaft, die auf ihre Identität verzichtet hat, indem sie Neger, Moslems und Kommunisten eingesetzt hat".

Calderolis Äußerungen lösten in Frankreich einen Proteststurm aus: "Ich bin geschockt, vor allem, weil mehrere französische Spieler bei italienischen Klubs unter Vertrag stehen. Solche Worte können nur rassistischen Hass nähren", erklärte der französische Botschafter Yves Aubin de la Messuziere.
Calderoli - ein "alter Bekannter"

Calderoli hatte in der Vergangenheit schon häufiger mit Provokationen und Entgleisungen Aufmerksamkeit erregt.

Der ehemalige Minister für Reformen im Kabinett von Ministerpräsident Silvio Berlusconi war erst im Februar zurückgetreten, nachdem er bei einem TV-Auftritt ein T-Shirt mit den Karikaturen des islamischen Propheten Mohammed getragen hatte.

Bei den anschließenden Unruhen vor dem italienischen Konsulat in der libyschen Hafenstadt Bengasi waren elf Menschen ums Leben gekommen.

Stefan Moser
Old 07-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Senior Moderator

I don't know what your article says, but what you're saying pretty much contradicts with the fact that FIFA already said Matrix will be cleared since there's no way to prove exactly what he said (see a few post up)...

Plus, a team cannot be disqualified b/c of what politicians from that country are saying about another country. You're really reaching now
Old 07-12-2006, 03:18 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what your article says, but what you're saying pretty much contradicts with the fact that FIFA already said Matrix will be cleared since there's no way to prove exactly what he said (see a few post up)...

Plus, a team cannot be disqualified b/c of what politicians from that country are saying about another country. You're really reaching now

Its almost comical. Where is he finding this stuff lol
Old 07-12-2006, 03:19 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I dont understand what the article says but that seems retarded and I dont think they will be able to claim anything like that with strong evidence. People should just let it go, Italy won and Zidane fucked up.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't know what your article says, but what you're saying pretty much contradicts with the fact that FIFA already said Matrix will be cleared since there's no way to prove exactly what he said (see a few post up).
You don't speak German? You can't read that? The bold highlighting made all the difference.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts
Zidane says insults to mother, sister caused head butt

Associated Press

PARIS -- French soccer star Zinedine Zidane apologized for head-butting an Italian opponent during the World Cup final, saying Wednesday that he was provoked by insults about his mother and sister.

"I apologize, to all the children" who watched the match Sunday, Zidane said in his first, highly awaited comments about the act of violence that marked the end of his career.

The 34-year-old midfielder, soft-spoken and relaxed in the interview with the Canal-Plus television network, did not specify exactly what Italian defender Marco Materazzi said that enraged him, but said it was about his family.

"I would rather have taken a punch in the jaw than have heard that," Zidane said, stressing that Materazzi's language was "very harsh."

Zidane and Materazzi exchanged words after Italy broke up a French attack in extra-time. Seconds later, Zidane lowered his head and rammed Materazzi in the chest, knocking him to the ground.

Zidane was sent off, reducing France to 10 men. Italy went on to win in a penalty shootout.

The abrupt act of aggression marred the end of the World Cup, with many warning it would tarnish Zidane's formidable legacy.

The France captain said he felt no regret for his act, "because that would mean [Materazzi] was right to say all that."

"There was a serious provocation," said Zidane, who said he had never had tensions with Materazzi before.

"My act is not forgivable," Zidane said. "But they must also punish the true guilty party, and the guilty party is the one who provokes."

"I tell myself that if things happened this way, it's because somewhere up there it was decided that way," he said in a later interview on TF1 television. "And I don't regret anything that happened, I accept it."

For days, sports fans around the world have been riveted by the question: What could Materazzi have said to set Zidane off? Media from Brazil to Britain hired lip readers to try to figure it out, then came up with different answers.

Materazzi has acknowledged he insulted Zidane, without giving specifics. At nearly the same moment Zidane was on TV, excerpts from an interview that Materazzi gave were posted on an Italian paper's Web site. He denied insulting Zidane's mother.

"I didn't say anything to him about racism, religion or politics," Materazzi told the Gazzetta. "I didn't talk about his mother either. I lost my mother when I was 15 and even now I still get emotional talking about her. Naturally, I didn't know his [mother] was in the hospital, I give her my best wishes."

"He's always been my hero, I admire him a lot."

Despite the head butt, Zidane was awarded the Golden Ball award for best player at the World Cup -- though FIFA president Sepp Blatter has suggested Zidane could be stripped of the honor.

"The winner of the award is not decided by FIFA, but by an international commission of journalists," Blatter said in Italian newspaper La Repubblica. "That said, FIFA's executive committee has the right, and the duty, to intervene when faced with behavior contrary to the ethics of the sport."

In France, many have already pardoned Zidane, even without his explanation. A poll published Tuesday in Le Parisien newspaper showed that 61 percent of the 802 people questioned forgave Zidane.

Zidane said many people have asked him not to retire, but he said he would not change his mind.

"I won't go back on it, at least I hope so ... [the decision] it's definitive," he said.

In a later interview with TF1 television, Zidane said he was "going to rest, and then move on to something else."
Source: ESPN.com
Old 07-12-2006, 03:21 PM
I

No, I never said that the politicians' comments would have any influence. That was just something on the side.

It's just stating that Fifa is investigating what was said, and if it turns out that Materazzi did say something he shouldn't have, Italy could be stripped off the cup. I'm not saying that it would happen, and IMO it would be pretty hard to prove unless they had those microphones that you can zoom in like they use in the U.S. sometimes.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:23 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by subinf
People should just let it go, Italy won and Zidane fucked up.
But the sore losers just can't let it go. Maybe Italy will get stripped of the cup, and Brazil, or maybe england will have a chance to win it. woohoo. Maybe their disgraceful world cups can be redeemed! Next we need to Germans to pipe in.

Keep dreaming.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:23 PM
I

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
You don't speak German? You can't read that? The bold highlighting made all the difference.

Actually sport1.de is a very reliable German website, if not the most reliable. It's just saying what COULD happen.

German soccer websites > ESPN
Old 07-12-2006, 03:24 PM
I

Originally Posted by fdl
But the sore losers just can't let it go. Maybe Italy will get stripped of the cup, and Brazil, or maybe england will have a chance to win it. woohoo. Maybe their disgraceful world cups can be redeemed! Next we need to Germans to pipe in.

Keep dreaming.
Looks like someone's getting mad
Old 07-12-2006, 03:25 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Oh wait, that was german? Well well well, I guess I was right. So the germans, the english, the brazilians, and the french are the ones crying about this. what a surpise

Get over it.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
I know, seriously. I thought AZ automatically translated foreign languages that were bolded. I'll have to get Robb or Adam right on that
Old 07-12-2006, 03:28 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by FastAcura
Looks like someone's getting mad
Nah. say what you want, noone was able to put a goal past the Italian defence all tournament, except for one (marginal) pk. Italy kept the ball out of their net, and scored when they needed to. That says it all to me.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:29 PM
I

Originally Posted by fdl
Oh wait, that was german? Well well well, I guess I was right. So the germans, the english, the brazilians, and the french are the ones crying about this. what a surpise

Get over it.

lol, just like in world war 2

Seriously though, I don't understand why you're getting mad, this is just information they provide, they're not saying "ITALY SHOULD BE STRIPPED"

Besides, noone wants a racist champion. And noone wants a champion with a captain who headbutts people.

So Germany should win by default
Old 07-12-2006, 03:34 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Seriously though, I don't understand why you're getting mad, this is just information they provide, they're not saying "ITALY SHOULD BE STRIPPED"
Sounds like sore loser talk to me. Trying to divert from the fact that their own team couldnt step up and get things done. Instead of having articles on if Materazzi called Zidane a terrorist, they should be talking about why Germany or France couldnt put the ball in the Italian goal.

So Germany should win by default

lol
Old 07-12-2006, 03:35 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
Maybe Italy will get stripped of the cup, and Brazil, or maybe england will have a chance to win it. woohoo.

and with that i'm off to the beach
Old 07-12-2006, 03:44 PM
I

Originally Posted by fdl
Sounds like sore loser talk to me. Trying to divert from the fact that their own team couldnt step up and get things done. Instead of having articles on if Materazzi called Zidane a terrorist, they should be talking about why Germany or France couldnt put the ball in the Italian goal.

lol
Actually the Germans are pretty proud by what the team had done. There's only so much you can write about. Fifa > racism
Old 07-12-2006, 03:50 PM
I

Originally Posted by fdl

lol
I guess since the whole world seems to have turned against Italy, the only sources that are reliable to you are from Italy

A little biased, aren't we?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:51 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Looks like the world cup could be taken away from Italy if it turns out that Materazzi said something about Zidane's religion. Not only the English, but also the Brasilian newspapers are saying that Materazzi said something about Zidane being a terrorist.

Also, the Italian politicians said that France is a team without an identity because they are playing with "niggers, muslims and comunists."

http://www.sport1.de/de/sport/artikel_212058.html
Your source, sport1, is basically just retranslating what's been in the English and Italian press for the last two days. Its all old news. The terrorist comment is from that British tabloid, and its just been recycled all over the world. That Italian politician is just one person making a stupid remark. Give it a rest, dude.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:54 PM
I

Originally Posted by F-C
Your source, sport1, is basically just retranslating what's been in the English and Italian press for the last two days. Its all old news. The terrorist comment is from that British tabloid, and its just been recycled all over the world. That Italian politician is just one person making a stupid remark. Give it a rest, dude.
Give me some non "tabloid", non Italian sources pro Materazzi...

Everywhere I seem to look, people have the same reactions.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:57 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I guess since the whole world seems to have turned against Italy, the only sources that are reliable to you are from Italy

A little biased, aren't we?
The whole world? Stay off the drugs. I have not seen one reputable news source turn against Materazzi, nevermind the entire Italian team. Seriously, I dont know where you are finding this stuff. Fifa is clearing Materazzi and will likely strip Zidane's award. THe WORLD is criticizing Zidane, not Italy. Link me to a BBC article, or CNN, or ESPN article. Go to google news and enter in "Zidane". Find me one article that has "turned against Italy".

Italy are the champions of the world. They were the best team in the tournament - even if Materazzi called Zidanes mom a terrorist, it doesnt change that. And saying otherwise is a result of being a) a sore loser or b) a tabloid rag trying to stir up drama and make money.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:59 PM
I

Originally Posted by fdl
The whole world? Stay off the drugs. I have not seen one reputable news source turn against Materazzi, nevermind the entire Italian team. Seriously, I dont know where you are finding this stuff. Fifa is clearing Materazzi and will likely strip Zidane's award. THe WORLD is criticizing Zidane, not Italy. Link me to a BBC article, or CNN, or ESPN article. Go to google news and enter in "Zidane". Find me one article that has "turned against Italy".

Italy are the champions of the world. They were the best team in the tournament - even if Materazzi called Zidanes mom a terrorist, it doesnt change that. And saying otherwise is a result of being a) a sore loser or b) a tabloid rag trying to stir up drama and make money.
Give me a non italian source that supports what Materazzi did...

I'm not sure how you can call someone who wanted italy to win a "sore loser".
Old 07-12-2006, 04:01 PM
I

Originally Posted by fdl

I don't understand your points. Why would Brazil, Germany, England and whoever else be against Italy?

Old 07-12-2006, 04:02 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Give me some non "tabloid", non Italian sources pro Materazzi...

Everywhere I seem to look, people have the same reactions.
You dont need to be "pro Materazzi". Thats not the point. The point is that noone is saying Italy doesnt deserve the cup, and the majority of media around the world is condeming Zidanes actions.

Old 07-12-2006, 04:03 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

FastAcura is the only person(besides the Frenchies) in the world that thinks France got a raw deal, and he's German!

Fact, Zidane assaulted Matrix.
Fact, Italy won the world cup.
Fact, Zidane came out today to apologize for his actions.
Fact, Zidane did not apologize to Matrix.
Fact, FastAcura wants to be a

Not a fact, Matrix called Zidane a terrorist, insulted his mother, insulted his sister, or called him baldy.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:04 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Give me a non italian source that supports what Materazzi did...

I'm not sure how you can call someone who wanted italy to win a "sore loser".

Why are you having such a hard time with this? Noone is "supporting" what he did. But that doesnt justify Zidanes actions, nor does it take away credit from Italys World CUp victory. Thats the point.

Italy won, France lost. And Zidane is a bum for what he did, REGARDLESS of what Materazzi said or did. I never said Matrix was a saint.

Quick Reply: 2006 World Cup; Germany