Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

08 NBA Playoff Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 03:29 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the media's gotta milk what they can.

- celtics vs. lakers
- kobe's image turnaround
- kobe vs. MJ
- PP's injury

i'm tired of the kobe vs. MJ comparisons because it's pointless right now. we can discuss it to better effect when he's retired too.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If i was Radmanavic i woulda sh1t myself if i had to guard KG
Old 06-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm not a PP fan, but I don't think PP was faking it. I've been in a lot of games where someone will hear something pop and then not want to put weight on it. Myself I've sprained a knee and could not put weight on it for about 5 minutes, started walking, and then jogging and then palying. So it happens. I'm sure Doc and the trainers were being cautious until they could evaluate him insdie the locker room. plus it's not like he has a history of dropping to the floor for no reason.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Mokos23
i'm sick of these fools:

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/...sition=emailed

Kobe Bryant may be better than Michael Jordan
Gerry Callahan By Gerry Callahan
Tuesday, June 3, 2008 - Updated 2d 22h ago
+ Recent Articles
Boston Herald General Sports Columnist
EmailE-mail PrintablePrintable Comments(53) Comments LargerSmallerText size ShareShare Rate(1) Rate

It was the most shocking moment of Game 6 between the Celtics [team stats] and the Pistons, but it didn’t involve the Celtics or the Pistons or even Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals.

Maybe you missed it. Maybe you were distracted watching 7-footer Rasheed Wallace shrink to the size of a Webkin before your eyes. Maybe you couldn’t get past the offensive foul Bennett Salvatore called on Paul Pierce [stats]’s 3-point shot, which was only the worst call in NBA playoff history.

Or maybe you just couldn’t stay up that late. For you, NBA commissioner David Stern has two words: Go screw. Who needs you? Stern doesn’t care about you or your children or the next generation of basketball fans. He’s only concerned with maximizing his prime-time ad rates and serving his masters at the network. Commissioner Magoo has a vision for his sport and it extends all the way to June 19.

Anyway, after the kiddies were asleep Friday night, the Celts and Pistons were slugging away at each other when ABC’s superb comedy team of Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy turned their attention to Kobe Bryant and the Lakers. Jackson raved about the play of Bryant, which certainly is nothing new, but then Van Gundy mentioned just how highly his sidekick Jackson regards the Lakers superstar.

“(Jackson) made the statement that Kobe Bryant might be better than Michael Jordan,” said Van Gundy, former Knicks and Rockets coach. “At first I thought it was foolish. Now I can see what he’s talking about.”

And now that is all that stands between the Celtics and the 17th championship in franchise history: the best player in the game. The best player since Jordan. Or maybe the best player including Jordan.

Better than Jordan? That’s like saying smarter than Belichick or tougher than Lance Armstrong or hotter than a NASCAR wife. There was a time when that statement could only be made in jest. Jordan was a player without a weakness, a man who won 10 scoring titles and six NBA titles, an incomparable athlete who somehow got even better when the moment got bigger and who wasn’t happy just to win. He wanted to see you lose, to revel in your pain, to devour your heart while it still was beating.

There was nothing Jordan couldn’t do on the basketball court, but here is Jackson’s point: Exactly how long is the list of things Kobe can’t do? He has greater shooting range than Jordan, is just as tenacious on the defensive end, and may be every bit as lethal in the clutch. He smiles occasionally, but the smile never quite reaches the eyes. The eyes belong to a cold-blooded killer, another Jordan.

And now the daunting task for the Celtics: That killer is in a very good place right now. He is 29 years old, he is healthy and he has a good supporting cast with a terrific big man in Pau Gasol. The Colorado rape case has been all but forgotten and the 18-year-old Laker Girl who recently was linked to him has disappeared, sort of like his old pal Shaq.

You want to know why everyone, from Bill Simmons to Richard Simmons, is picking the Lakers to win this series? Because in basketball the best player usually wins. Because in one seven-game series the best player can raise his game and impose his will and have his way. And right now the best player in the series might be the best player ever. Bryant gives you the feeling the NBA could allow the Celtics defenders to play with tasers and still he would find a way to score 30 a night.

The Celtics beat the Lakers twice in the regular season, but that, of course, was pre-Pau and pre-MVP and pre-postseason killing spree from Kobe. In the first round of the playoffs, while the 37-win Hawks were giving the Celts all they could handle, the Lakers swept the Nuggets, who featured two of the top four scorers in the NBA and last year’s Defensive Player of the Year. The Lakers then knocked off Utah in six, and Bryant averaged 33 points a game while draped in Andrei Kirilenko. And finally, LA snuffed out defending champion San Antonio in five games. With Bruce Bowen dogging him, Bryant went off for 39 in the clinching game.

The Celtics, of course, will double Bryant and trap him and bang him and bump him. And the rest of the NBA will sit home and wonder: Why didn’t we think of that? We watched the Celtics give LeBron James fits in Round 2, but still James and his mates pushed the series to seven. Kobe is a better scorer with a much better supporting cast. He is averaging 32 points a game in the playoffs and shooting 51 percent from the field. James never shot 50 percent in a game against the Celtics. He went 2-for-18 in Game 1, and as Steve Bulpett pointed out here yesterday, Kobe doesn’t do 2-for-18.

Here’s a better blueprint for the Celtics: Game 2 of the first round of the playoffs against Chicago in 1986. Jordan went for 63, still a playoff record. The Celtics won the game and the series and the NBA title anyway.

Now comes Kobe Bryant, the closest thing to Jordan we have ever seen. He cannot be stopped either. The Celtics have to find a way to win the title anyway

ha, that is the Boston Herald... just ignore they even opened their mouths... these are the same idiots that made the false claims on the Patriots...
Old 06-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you can really tell the week rest helped the celtics, especially in their veteran play of pj brown and sam cassell. I really liked the drama of the PP incident. I don't think any competitive player would willingly take themselves out of the game for any period of time. It at least was fun to watch.

Usually the athleticism of the Lakers can take over in the 4th, but the celtics held up strong for the whole game, and seemed to have more hustle. We'll see how they keep up as the series progresses. Celtics are a very deep team, so we'll probably see some glen davis and eddie house before the series is over.

I'm still gonna say Lakers in 5......

ps. I think WHEN kobe gets 3 more rings, that's when they MJ comparisons might be legit.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

You kidding me?? u cant compare DJ Mbenga to Glen Davis.. Mbenga is from the jungle son!! haha he looks like a 'Darkness' version of Shrek
Old 06-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by savage
ha, that is the Boston Herald... just ignore they even opened their mouths... these are the same idiots that made the false claims on the Patriots...
so they're nuts
Old 06-08-2008, 07:37 PM

ok pregame of game 2...bill russell is awesome but everything said he replies back with 'Well...that's what it means to be a celtic' yawn...
Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Engineer

wow, the Celtics played terrible that 4th quarter... once they had that huge lead and started fucking around I was flippin out... why is it so difficult to just keep playing the same way and ignore the score...

i swear they do this to give me a few heart attacks...
Old 06-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Banned

Horrible game by refs Wilbon and Phill agree powe shot 3 more ft's than the lakers in 14 minutes of play. Go fuck yourselves refs.. That was soo fucking one sided..

38 to 10 FT difference... Lakers shot 47 percent for 100 points 50 percent threes and we lose by 8.. But Celtics shoot 28 more free throws and kobe goes to the line once on a technical foul ft? BS...
Old 06-09-2008, 02:18 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
don't be mad because Lakers lost.

What so BS about Powe going to the line? He did get fouled so why not?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the worst was the first couple of fouls on kobe that was nothing more than a few bumps. Where is the superstar courtesy no calls . The celtics are playing stronger inside, so I would expect them to have an advantage on the FT end, but some fouls were ridiculous.

not to mention I think sasha got fouled on that last 3pt. shot

I think the worries I had before the series started are really showing in the first 2 games. Namely rebounding by the celtic big men, and the Lakers not having a response to Pierce. I hope they can turn this thing around.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:25 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
<object width="440" height="361"><param name="movie" value="http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=3433082"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><embed src="http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=3433082" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="440" height="361" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

Jon Barry brought up great, great point about KB settling with jump shots instead of driving in.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Osamu
not to mention I think sasha got fouled on that last 3pt. shot
You will not get a call if the shot is blocked or tipped prior to any contact on the hand. They might give you a call if there's a lot of body contact after a blocked shot, but I doubt that also.

I agree though that some of the calls against the Lakers were questionable - but Powe earned his fouls.

So far the series if going the way I thought - Celtics are out muscling, out hustling, out defensing the Lakers. Euro players are too soft - it's like having 3 Dirk Nowitskis on your starting 5. I'm sure LA will play better at home though. They'll need to play more aggressive, and I think Kobe needs to start being a little more aggressive/selfish in the 4th.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Engineer

The refs called the Celtics for 21 fouls and 28 on LA. So it was not that skewed, the lack of FT attempts was because Lakers never drove to the hoop to get that contact on the shot...

Also all the fouls from the Celtics were spread out so the Lakers didn't get into the bonus until I believe only in 4th quarter...
Old 06-09-2008, 09:42 AM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by kosstick
Horrible game by refs Wilbon and Phill agree powe shot 3 more ft's than the lakers in 14 minutes of play. Go fuck yourselves refs.. That was soo fucking one sided..

38 to 10 FT difference... Lakers shot 47 percent for 100 points 50 percent threes and we lose by 8.. But Celtics shoot 28 more free throws and kobe goes to the line once on a technical foul ft? BS...

The refs had nothing to do with the outcome of this game.
The Lakers sucked and Kobe was a fucking baby as usual. I'm glad a ref finally had the balls to give him a tech for his piss-pants tantrum.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:50 AM
old school

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

So far so good!
Old 06-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
The refs called the Celtics for 21 fouls and 28 on LA. So it was not that skewed, the lack of FT attempts was because Lakers never drove to the hoop to get that contact on the shot...

Also all the fouls from the Celtics were spread out so the Lakers didn't get into the bonus until I believe only in 4th quarter...
I disagree. Kobe, Farmar, Gasol, Lamar all drove while the Celtics playing grabby defense. The Celtics are one of those "handsy" teams, and they get away with it at home, while the Lakers don't. I watched the game twice, and we only got the benefit of the once or twice.

Leon Powe didn't not drive or get fouled enough to warrant an advantage over a whole Laker team. If he got fouled on his rebounds and put backs (not drives) then the Lakers have to get at least equal treatment. I think he had the Lakers beat on rebound and putbacks, but those fouls weren't on drives.

Lots of disrespect in my opinion but I think the refs were intimidated more so than the Lakers. The comeback by the Lakers was great. A 10 point deficit in game 1 and a 6 point deficit in game 2 in 2 away games bodes well for when the Lakers get home. Physical teams can play with aggression at home, but not on the road. The Celtics probably won't get to play their game at Staples, because those calls get magnified for the home team, especially at Staples.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Lots of disrespect in my opinion but I think the refs were intimidated more so than the Lakers. The comeback by the Lakers was great. A 10 point deficit in game 1 and a 6 point deficit in game 2 in 2 away games bodes well for when the Lakers get home. Physical teams can play with aggression at home, but not on the road.
The Celtics probably won't get to play their game at Staples, because those calls get magnified for the home team, especially at Staples.

I bet the refs will call EVERYTHING for the lakers tomorrow.. its david sterns way of pushing this shit to 7 games.. so annoying.. this is why my dad makes fun of me for still watching NBA.

other than that, Lakers played like balls in the 3rd quarter. Lamar and his retarted offensive fouls, bad passes and more bad basketball..
Old 06-09-2008, 11:44 AM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
PP is still a bitch in my book

I almost threw up when they were comparing his toughness to AI.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:49 AM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lowpost
I'm not a PP fan, but I don't think PP was faking it. I've been in a lot of games where someone will hear something pop and then not want to put weight on it. Myself I've sprained a knee and could not put weight on it for about 5 minutes, started walking, and then jogging and then palying. So it happens. I'm sure Doc and the trainers were being cautious until they could evaluate him insdie the locker room. plus it's not like he has a history of dropping to the floor for no reason.

If he would have just waited til the wheel chair/ cart got there I would be fine with it.

It was his saving private ryan exit which pissed me off.

I like that Powe kid. Hate to say it but I guess I am routing for Boston

KG, Allen, Powe > Kobe
Old 06-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Originally Posted by bent09

KG, Allen, Powe > Kobe
Lol, it takes 3 people to be better than Kobe. Nice compliment..
Old 06-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Palayah8ta
I bet the refs will call EVERYTHING for the lakers tomorrow.. its david sterns way of pushing this shit to 7 games.. so annoying.. this is why my dad makes fun of me for still watching NBA.

other than that, Lakers played like balls in the 3rd quarter. Lamar and his retarted offensive fouls, bad passes and more bad basketball..
I agree the Lakers played like shit. I think the Celts have been playing tremendous ball, and I take absolutely nothing away from them. Powe played great, Pierce is a bitch, but a very good bitch, and Kobe did settle alot against old man Jesus. Physically, they are as tough as Utah was (Powe reminds me of Paul Milsap) but offensively, they are worlds better than the Jazz. Their 3 point shooting at opportune moments has been the momentum shifter.

And yet, disputable calls, great ball from the Celts, and pretty horrid play from the Lakers only amounted to a 10 point deficit in game 1 (and a much tighter game than the final score indicated), and a 6 point deficit in game 2 (great comeback from 20 down in the last quarter). Not to mention these were away games.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bent09
If he would have just waited til the wheel chair/ cart got there I would be fine with it.

It was his saving private ryan exit which pissed me off.

I like that Powe kid. Hate to say it but I guess I am routing for Boston

KG, Allen, Powe > Kobe
KG hasn't impressed, but its the KG I remember from his Minnesota days. He turns into a 7 foot jump shooter in the playoffs. Honestly, Pau was more "physical" than KG when they go head to head.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:37 PM
old school

Lol, it takes 3 people to be better than Kobe. Nice compliment..
Ok then, take the 3 equivalent spots from the Lakers' depth chart:

KG, Allen, Powe > Kobe, Odom, Turiaf

Still holds true, doesn't it?

Edit: And of course that still doesn't include Pierce who, bitch or no bitch, has been Boston's best player in the finals.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:45 PM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by elessar

Edit: And of course that still doesn't include Pierce who, bitch or no bitch, has been Boston's best player in the finals.
I even think Rondo has done MUCH better than expected.
Perkins on the other hand can stay in the locker room for the whole game on Tuesday for all I care.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Safety Car

He is a very good bitch.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
KG hasn't impressed, but its the KG I remember from his Minnesota days. He turns into a 7 foot jump shooter in the playoffs. Honestly, Pau was more "physical" than KG when they go head to head.

i've always liked KG and all.

but it's the nba's biggest secret. underneath all that snarling and chest thumping, KG is soft.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

KG, Allen, Powe < Kobe, Pau, Vujacic Fixed!! lol, but who cares if lakers dont win the next 2 its all over..

Odom and Walton need to be traded ASAP
Old 06-09-2008, 02:30 PM
old school

KG, Allen, Powe < Kobe, Pau, Vujacic Fixed!! lol, but who cares if lakers dont win the next 2 its all over..

Odom and Walton need to be traded ASAP
Heh... so wait... Pau > Powe? I'm confused! Hey, maybe that's why Phil Jackson called him "Pow".
Old 06-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Walton should be the one traded i think that Odom had his flaws when it came to game two but Walton is just horrible in all games turnovers and stupid passes are all i see from him
Old 06-09-2008, 02:40 PM
old school

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks

i've always liked KG and all.

but it's the nba's biggest secret. underneath all that snarling and chest thumping, KG is soft.
See, this is why he and Pierce complement each other so well. KG plays at a high intensity level all the time, but he doesn't have that extra gear for when it comes to crunch time. It's like the Sports Guy said in that article - it seems like he just blacks out when the pressure gets too high. Pierce is the other way around; sometimes he just coasts along until somebody gets him good and pissed off, and then he just goes completely ape-shit and takes over the game, a la Kobe. You throw into the mix, draining 3's every once in awhile when the defense is focused too much on those other 2 guys, and you've got yourself "The Big Two featuring Ray Allen" (another great Sports Guy quote).
Old 06-09-2008, 03:44 PM

and ray allen: soon to be "ray allen with the expiring contract."

Old 06-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

For the record: i still believe the lakers will win the series, glad we got rid of all the bandwagon fans.. LOL
Old 06-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Safety Car

^^LOL. I guess that's why we're both still here.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Racer

PP > Kobe

paul pierce didn't ask to be carried out.

knee injuries are serious. on the other hand, all I hear about is how awesome kobe is for playing with a messed up PINKY. talk about bitch...
Old 06-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Banned

44 interior points (in the key) to bostons 22 I believe..

I guess lakers didn't take it in enough..
Old 06-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Banned

Rofl its such a serious knee injury that he refused to get a MRI.. But they know exactly what type of sprain it is... (apparently) he looks pretty good to me what a fucking bullshit. The fact that kobe does have a really fucked up pinky (video of him bending the shit outta it) all the tendons are ripped in there..

PP shows no sign of injury must be the boston water..

ALonza Mourning refused to be put on a stretcher PP is a fucking Bitch.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:14 PM

PP even admitted that he was overdramatic....he's embarrassed for himself as well as he should be...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/p...?urn=nba,86701

Pierce calls injury embarrassing

Despite Los Angeles Lakers Coach Phil Jackson hinting otherwise, Pierce says he was aching, not faking, when he went down in the third quarter of the NBA Finals Game 1 against the Lakers with a sprained right knee. Enough so that if there had been a game Friday, Pierce said he would have been on the sidelines watching. Instead he, along with the rest of the Celtics, took the day off to watch video, soaking up their victory and looking to heal fast.

"I think there's a great chance I'll play on Sunday, just knowing myself, knowing my threshold for pain," Pierce said of his odds in playing in Game 2 of the Finals.

Pierce scored 15 of his 22 points in the third quarter, the points flanked by the injury. He bumped into teammate Kendrick Perkins at the 6:49 point, was carried off the court and returned less than two minutes later.

"It was crazy to me because I've never been carried off the court, and it was like, man, I said, 'I have to be close to death or blood everywhere for me to get carried off,' " Pierce said, adding that he took four pain relievers. It was sort of embarrassing, truthfully. I should have just laid there for five more minutes and then got up. Hopefully it won't happen again. If I get carried off the next time, there's no way I'm going to come back."
Old 06-10-2008, 01:23 AM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by the_Osk
PP > Kobe
MVP > PP. [/end]

Quick Reply: 08 NBA Playoff Thread