Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

08 NBA Playoff Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:59 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Mokos23
Bye Flip Saunders

Deserved.

They once again need a new voice.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Deserved.

They once again need a new voice.
I assume you don't mean Rasheed...
Old 06-03-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kosstick
Kobe is a better played on Garnett anyday.. Different positions.. But if you want a championship you go with Kobe
I agree, kobe is the best player in the league right now...but you can't compare to a PF....and Garnett never had a cast that kobe has now so you can't really knock the guy for not doing anything in his playoff career...i mean like you said, not one great player that you listed has gone to the finals alone...they all had a great supporting cast...

Jordan/Pip/Grant or Rodman or kukoc

Shaq/penny/horace/nick anderson/dennis scott/shaw

magic and larry had a great cast

and kobe needed gasol/odom/fisher to make it this year

KG had what? some help but not much throughout his career except sprewell and cassell
Old 06-03-2008, 12:43 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who does? Jordan has = trips to the finals on his own... Shaq has 0 trips to the finals on his own. Kg has 0 trips.... Magic has = trips.. Larry has 0 rings..

No one can win it alone... Kobe can make it as a 7th seed and nearly upset an elite team in the west with a horrible supporting cast alone.. But that is pretty much what he can do when its 1 v 5...
Originally Posted by brianlin87
it's a good thing basketball isn't a one-on-one sport.

that wasn't my point.

my point was that the argument that kobe's made 4 trips to the finals doesn't necessarily make him a better player or better than kg in this case.

don't think i don't know that basketball is a team sport and that all great players had help.

but those 4 trips to the finals were mostly led by shaq.

so my point is that kobe has yet to lead his team to a finals. same as kg.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks

that wasn't my point.

my point was that the argument that kobe's made 4 trips to the finals doesn't necessarily make him a better player or better than kg in this case.

don't think i don't know that basketball is a team sport and that all great players had help.

agree...kobe wouldn't have been to the finals this year if it weren't for another superstar big man...it's the truth...if yall want to argue that then the last 3 years were proof that kobe can't do it on his own...or atleast without a big man
Old 06-03-2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by UNeeKLiNG
agree...kobe wouldn't have been to the finals this year if it weren't for another superstar big man...it's the truth...if yall want to argue that then the last 3 years were proof that kobe can't do it on his own...or atleast without a big man
exactly.

and kobe's a much much better player now. and along with a better team and supporting cast, he has a great chance to finally lead a team to the finals let alone win the whole thing.

and larry has 3 rings.

Last edited by JediMindTricks; 06-03-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

i agree with you, BUT shaq and his fukin free-throw misses forced Kobe to be Mr. 4th quarter..
Old 06-03-2008, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Palayah8ta
i agree with you, BUT shaq and his fukin free-throw misses forced Kobe to be Mr. 4th quarter..

it was an interesting dynamic between the two.

shaq wouldn't have won without kobe, and kobe wouldn't have won without shaq. the two needed each other, and the constant bickering between who's batman and robin was childish. can't we get along and keep winning trophies?

but i'm just saying that kobe has yet to lead a team to a finals. that's all i'm saying.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:26 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jlukja
I assume you don't mean Rasheed...

Nope. But his days are apparently numbered in Detroit as well.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Banned

that wasn't my point.

Fact is Without Kobe Shaq would have only 1 ring ( don't get me started on that championship.... and wade dragged Shaq's ass part of the time... PLus good old tim donaghy..)

without Kobe Shaq wouldn't have those 3 peat years and without shaq kobe wouldn't have those 3 peat years..

One can say it was shaq led but who is the one who saved shaqs ass when he got fouled out and took over the game against the pacers..(saved john salleys dumb ass too lol)

Edit: didnt read JediMindTricks last post.. Bascially just agreed with me lol and I agree with him..

Kobe and Shaq completed and yes Name me one team Other than the bulls that have one a ring without a big man..

Bulls had a lot of other help.. Rodman Grant Pipen Jordan.. Kukoch... They had enough talent to make up for not having a good bigman..

Last edited by kosstick; 06-03-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:32 PM

and remember if shaq was there to attract the double and triple teams kobe would've had a harder time being MR. 4th quarter...

not hatin on kobe but just stating facts bro...like i said...kobe is the best player in the nba right now no doubt...but lets not get carried away and over-give him credit now...
Old 06-03-2008, 01:34 PM

Fact is Without Kobe Shaq would have only 1 ring ( don't get me started on that championship.... and wade dragged Shaq's ass part of the time... PLus good old tim donaghy..)

without Kobe Shaq wouldn't have those 3 peat years and without shaq kobe wouldn't have those 3 peat years..

One can say it was shaq led but who is the one who saved shaqs ass when he got fouled out and took over the game against the pacers..(saved john salleys dumb ass too lol)

Edit: didnt read JediMindTricks last post.. Bascially just agreed with me lol and I agree with him..

Kobe and Shaq completed and yes Name me one team Other than the bulls that have one a ring without a big man..

Bulls had a lot of other help.. Rodman Grant Pipen Jordan.. Kukoch... They had enough talent to make up for not having a good bigman..
you're right...just like my little list above....

no ones taking credit away from kobe but to say that he's taking his team to the finals alone is absurd....
Old 06-03-2008, 01:34 PM

1. i've mentioned already that two were interdependent of one another.

2. kobe bailed shaq many times, yes. but it is understood that those lakers teams were shaq's teams. like unkeeling said, both players made it easier for one another.

look, we can agree to disagree, fine.

this all started with my point that kobe has yet to lead a team to a finals. saying he's made 4 appearances shouldn't be used to make an argument that he's better than kg, imo.

for the record, i agreed that kobe is a better player than kg. although it's really hard to compare different positions. but i wouldn't use finals appearances as part of the argument.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Pardon me guys, but the whole "who lead the team" argument misses the point. I think Jedi touched upon the fact that Kobe is a much better player now. I think because of those 4 trips to the finals, he and Fish have a great experience advantage on the Celtics.

In regards to KG, Kobe does have the advantage of not only playing but winning 3 of 4 Finals. That can't be understated. I have assume that Kobe and Fish are more mentally prepared than most of the Celtics (except for maybe Sam).

In regards to Shaq "leading" the team, I think you have to agree that Shaq never really "lead" but was the ultimate presence to play off of. The Lakers were scary because of Shaq, but won against more talented and younger teams because Kobe and the Laker veterans knew when to play off his presence so well. But Shaq never led those teams to victory- the coaching staff and vets knew when to go to him and how to use him. Nowadays, Kobe is a more complete threat.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Banned

Fiendin' for a ring
By Scoop Jackson
Page 2
(Archive | Contact)

There's a term used in the community called "thirsty."

It means what you think it means, but it's now being used in different contexts. Only to make a point of the extremes to which some people will go to get what they want. More severely, what they need.

Kobe Bryant, for lack of more sophisticated terminology, is thirsty.

His thirst for another NBA title is that of an amplitude we may not have ever seen before. Not in sports, business, crime, corruption or politics. Keeping it community: He's thirsty like a fiend.

Now I understand how Bill Maher it is to use a dependency as an analogy to describe Kobe's mental range, scope and capacity and how wrong it probably is to compare "the greatest player of his generation" (as TNT labeled him to promote the Western Conference finals) to Ashy Larry or Bubbles, but it fits. Like disloyalty and Scott McClellan. In technical terms, Kobe is an obligate anti-carnivore.

This thirst -- whether he admits or denies or realizes it -- comes from a needing to do this without Shaquille O'Neal. It's a needing to come as close to Jordan and Jordan's legacy as any other basketball player alive right now … and maybe in the future. It's a needing to prove to himself what he's known and told himself ever since he challenged Brian Shaw to play one-on-one at age 11.

Redemption, chip on his shoulder, edge, anger. None apply. There's a fiend-like component inside Kobe that exceeds all of the above labels that no athlete in any other sport possesses, and the closer he gets to attaining another championship ring, the more impossible it is going to be for anyone -- or any one team -- to deny him. His want has gone into an almost dependence stage of validation, of recognition, of being the last man standing. There is no player or collection of players on Boston's squad -- no player(s) on any team that the Lakers have faced throughout the playoffs, no entire 12-man roster in the league, to be honest -- that can match his need to win this championship.

A compulsion to prove to himself -- and us -- that he's been right all along is what's at the center of this. Right that he's not a bad guy, a prima donna, arrogant, aloof or antisocial. Right that he is engaging and personable. Right that he might be the best basketball player your kids will ever see. Just as he was right about publicly forcing the Lakers to make some roster moves, in every fabric of his being he has to be right about how he sees himself and what he sees himself as. Even though he said in the ESPN Sunday Conversation that he was comfortable being the No. 2 guy while winning rings with Shaq, and in so many words to please stop the Jordan comparisons because there will never be another ("He's a different person … the greatest ever … let me do me …. Thank you!"), those who have watched his evolution -- his ascendance -- know better. He tries to cover it up in interviews and private conversations, but once he gets in "black" Jack Bauer mode it becomes clear as Claritin. He's on something extra. Something that once he calls it quits about five years and three more rings from now, he's going to need some serious form of detox to get out of his system.

To everyone else, this is about basketball. To him … this is about survival. His.

It's the life of a fiend. Trapped inside the shell of a basketball player who almost had the game taken from him. The fact that he could have been responsible for not being able to show the world this stage of his life probably still eats at his mind. It might be what ultimately drives him. Maybe it's something deeper, something that revealed itself at birth. Who knows? And the beauty, he'll never -- not even in Spike Lee's documentary about him -- be the one to tell.

The Celtics are thirsty for that ring, too, but they aren't dying of thirst. Which essentially is the difference between Kobe and them -- maybe Kobe and maybe all other human beings. And until Kevin Garnett, Paul "The Truth" Pierce and Ray "Jesus Shuttlesworth" Allen (anyone: Tiger, Roger Clemens, Peyton Manning, LeBron, Kimbo Slice, etc.) can equate death with what it will mean to not win a championship on these terms, until they can make themselves believe -- as Kobe has -- that their survival depends on getting this ring, then their collective and collaborative effort may not be enough.

Winning is the difference between a mission and an addiction. The Celtics are on a season-long mission against a dude that for the last five years has forced an addiction on himself to win. Winning substantiates this dude. It eliminates every doubt that may have somehow crept into his überconfident mind about his ability to carry and lead a team at the highest level of this sport. He has tasted something his competition (outside of Sam Cassell and James Posey) has never tasted, is hooked on something they've yet to sample. Addiction does not come by osmosis, whether it's meth, crack, coke, chocolate, caffeine, nicotine, sex, gambling, drinking or body art. To feel what it feels like to want to experience that same feeling again, you would have had to have it in your system before. The power of that feeling always makes those who reach that level of necessity more powerful than those who wish they knew what it felt like.

Kobe has that feeling. The others don't. And he is still thirsty.

As those who are close to the game and those who still hate him despite what he's done since the playoffs started will testify, you can't beat a fiend at his own game when his game is basketball and basketball is all he has.

Which leaves only one thing left that Kobe Bryant can do: Obey his thirst.

Scoop Jackson is a columnist for Page 2.
Link

Awesome article and that's one of the things that sets Kobe so apart from other NBA players..
Old 06-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ interesting take
Old 06-03-2008, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Garnett > Kobe
Old 06-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Man the ESPN guys are calling for lakers to win in 4-5.. i have a feeling there trying to paint boston as the underdog so more people will root for Boston..
Old 06-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Banned

I have no fucking idea why they think boston is gonna lose so easily.. Wtf.. is this wow.. THey had denver beating us Utah beating us and some Spurs beating us.. Now we own Boston.. I don't like all this attention.. They should give respect where respect is due..
Old 06-03-2008, 09:22 PM

i think boston's play throught out the playoffs hasn't impressed anyone, while the lakers have.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

i think boston's play throught out the playoffs hasn't impressed anyone, while the lakers have.
True, but this wont be a cake walk..
Old 06-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Safety Car

True, but this wont be a cake walk..
I agree. Like Phil Jackson said, there was alot learned by the Celtics in those long drawn out series.

I don't think Phil is underestimating them.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Banned

Non The less I call Game 1 Lakers Game 2 Celtics Game 3 Lakers Game 4 Celtics Game 5 Lakers and then Lakers close it out in game 6 in a tough game.

Lakers are 3 and 0 in close out games.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

i hope the refs dont try to extend the series (for either team)... thats my #1 pet peeve
Old 06-04-2008, 02:44 PM

Old 06-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Doc is an idiot and needs to play Leon Powe.

This will be intersting series to watch. I think the Lakers will win if they can prove me wrong and show me that they (exception kobe and Fisher) aren't as soft as I think they are. If the LA Euro team can't bang and play D, they might be in trouble.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lowpost

This will be intersting series to watch. I think the Lakers will win if they can prove me wrong and show me that they (exception kobe and Fisher) aren't as soft as I think they are. If the LA Euro team can't bang and play D, they might be in trouble.

We banged with the Nuggets we have Banged with the Jazz and we have banged with the Spurs..

Bring on the Celtics. Kobes bang is bigger than Pierces bang ;0 lol
Old 06-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

We banged with the Nuggets we have Banged with the Jazz and we have banged with the Spurs..

Bring on the Celtics. Kobes bang is bigger than Pierces bang ;0 lol
I dont know Paul Pierce is a gang banger remember.. he got fined for flashing gang signs at al horford
Old 06-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by lowpost
The dude has been almost invisible in the playoffs.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Safety Car

I dont know Paul Pierce is a gang banger remember.. he got fined for flashing gang signs at al horford
Didn't Pierce throw a blood sign? Time to call Snoop and the crips. Get him thinking about things other than the game.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Didn't Pierce throw a blood sign? Time to call Snoop and the crips. Get him thinking about things other than the game.
fuck paul pierce, he was doing an interview and this mutherfucker said "its a dream come true to play for boston." fucking liar
Old 06-05-2008, 02:20 PM

for all you laker fans...someone has too much time on their hands but i thought it was pretty cool

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bqn5Wzhxzoc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bqn5Wzhxzoc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 06-05-2008, 02:27 PM

fuck paul pierce, he was doing an interview and this mutherfucker said "its a dream come true to play for boston." fucking liar
pierce is my least favorite of the "big three," but i have a tremendous amount of respect for him since the stabbing incident. just thought i'd say.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:33 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Interesting article on Kobe in this week's SI.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Race Director

we'll see tonight
Old 06-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
pierce is my least favorite of the "big three," but i have a tremendous amount of respect for him since the stabbing incident. just thought i'd say.

he is my favorite of the "potential big 3"... they gotta win something first before i consider them as a new big 3...

I also gained a lot of respect for his toughness after coming back from that stabbing incident. He is one of the most underrated players in the game right now...

I think he is a top 20 active player and on some nights can be even better than that. Like a couple of the games this post season...

This year his point total is down a bit, but that is because he is playing a better all around game along with not needing to be the entire offense like years past...

Also I think that the last couple years he has been truly happy being a Celtic. He was more upset about not being a contender. Sure at first he was probably disappointed in becoming his enemy, a Celtic, but after seeing the support of the fans in Boston, even through the rough years, he really appreciates it and loves Boston...
Old 06-05-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by savage
he is my favorite of the "potential big 3"... they gotta win something first before i consider them as a new big 3...

I also gained a lot of respect for his toughness after coming back from that stabbing incident. He is one of the most underrated players in the game right now...

I think he is a top 20 active player and on some nights can be even better than that. Like a couple of the games this post season...

This year his point total is down a bit, but that is because he is playing a better all around game along with not needing to be the entire offense like years past...

Also I think that the last couple years he has been truly happy being a Celtic. He was more upset about not being a contender. Sure at first he was probably disappointed in becoming his enemy, a Celtic, but after seeing the support of the fans in Boston, even through the rough years, he really appreciates it and loves Boston...

i mean, i like him a lot as a player, and i love his game.

but i've always had a soft spot for KG and jesus, and that's why i said PP is my least favorite. it's like saying which of your kids you like the least.

and the reason why i said i have a tremendous amount of respect for him after the stabbing is that he didn't complain once or use it as an excuse when he had bad games. instead, he had a terrific season while not even lifting weights that year.

and you could sense the frustration last season, and i believe he's said that he expected to get traded. but how many times did he publicly demand a trade? he got on with it and was rewarded.

respect.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:58 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
ABC=

Every channel works, but stupid ABC! Great!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:13 PM

black mamba's doing his "i'll start slowly and let my teammates figure out how to play before busting 25 in the second half."

if that doesn't work and the celtics win, he'll do his "fine. i'll just have to score 50 in game 2."

and talk about an image rehab he went through over the past several years.

went from being blamed for breaking up a dynasty, the whole colorado incident, selfish accusations, trade demands. and now everyone's all over his balls.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:30 PM

man they're really milking the rivalry, aren't they?

abc's ratings must be out of the roof.

nba finals (celtics vs. lakers)
belmont
isn't there a pga tour this weekend?

Quick Reply: 08 NBA Playoff Thread