Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
https://www.acura.com/tlx/modals/sup...ll-wheel-drive

• To greatly improve fuel efficiency, up to 90% of the power is sent to the front wheels when cruising in a straight line.
  • As weight shifts to the rear during hard acceleration, the SH-AWDŽ system transfers up to 45% of engine power to the rear wheels and takes full advantage of additional, available traction.
  • On a curve under hard acceleration, the TLX feels firmly planted, because 70% of effective torque can be directed to the rear wheels. And all of that torque can be applied exclusively to the outside wheel, which improves cornering ability by allocating power where the weight has shifted.
reading between the lines, and noticing that power and torque are both used here, one can deduce that the 70% to the rear thing is probably only common at lower speeds in tighter turns where power is lower, and there is a power/RPM limit on what is sent to the rear (torque x rpm = power). thus, it's certainly not a rear-biased system by any means, but it doesn't need to be, and Acura didn't set out to build a C63 beater. Balance.

nice short-hand comparison of the systems
https://www.automoblog.net/2020/11/2...20rear%20wheel.

Last edited by FactoryMatt; 05-23-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Originally Posted by SergeyM
What? At 80mph fun just starts! The thing can do 155 mph easily and sure will accelerate hard at 100mph.
Thats all relative. Getting a 4250lbs boat to 155mph with only 300whp is not "easily" achievable.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acura TL Builder:
04WDPSeDaN (05-23-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (05-23-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 07:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by djhtsx
dude why are you making such strong claims off one video. We don’t even know what the car was experiencing at that time to make it send the power to the front wheels. Just be patient more review videos will be out soon.
Actually we know exactly what the car was doing at the time. It was under acceleration near the top of 4th gear moving in a straight line. The G meter(ACCEL) clearly shows this. For this to be happing at 80MPH the pedal is to the metal.

A lot of cars now incorporate a G meter readout. Have one when I select a sport display. The only thing we cant tell about the Type-S is how much load its pulling. The ring just outside of the pipper should be identified as to what load it represents. Since its not on the display its probably in the manual.

Mine is marked & can display on the wide screen or right side of the instruments. A red trace line shows a load in any direction. Outer most part ring is 1.0G

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-23-2021 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:31 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Being an AWD system, I would assume to at least have 50-50 distribution under most Sport+ circumstances. Sending most of it to the front on a sunny day with no weather or slippage issues is not in any way or form rear biased. If it really was rear biased, you'd never see the front wheels get such a high proportion of the power on a clean test track. That would be a mechanical limitation. I believe the S4 can't send more than 40% to the front, so it automatically is rear biased.
The ideal case is 50-50 power distribution for a AWD vehicle with 50/50 front/rear weight distribution.

But the TLX Type-S is so front heavy (59/41 front/rear) that only the SH-AWD computer knows what is the best power split going to the front and rear wheels under various driving modes.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:18 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Man, I thought it was going to be faster and lighter .
Old 05-23-2021, 09:40 PM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The ideal case is 50-50 power distribution for a AWD vehicle with 50/50 front/rear weight distribution.
That depends on what you're trying to do. Even a car with 50/50 weight distribution has weight shift to the back at launch or has additional available traction in the rear outside wheel during a turn. In snow, with all wheels having relatively the same traction and at low speeds, 50/50 is great for getting going.

Driving is always dynamic so the traction conditions at each wheel are always changing.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:10 PM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by FactoryMatt
https://www.acura.com/tlx/modals/sup...ll-wheel-drive

reading between the lines, and noticing that power and torque are both used here, one can deduce that the 70% to the rear thing is probably only common at lower speeds in tighter turns where power is lower, and there is a power/RPM limit on what is sent to the rear (torque x rpm = power). thus, it's certainly not a rear-biased system by any means, but it doesn't need to be, and Acura didn't set out to build a C63 beater. Balance.

nice short-hand comparison of the systems
https://www.automoblog.net/2020/11/2...20rear%20wheel.
Torque is higher at lower speed. Power is constant regardless of gearing. At 20 MPH the clutch needs to handle 6,675 lb-ft of torque and 330 HP. At 100 MPH, it only needs to handle 1,270 lb-lbs and 330 HP. Power varies with engine RPM, not overall vehicle speed.

Most likely that figure is an engineer estimate of how much torque can be transmitted to the ground at maximum output without transmission binding.

Last edited by mec30; 05-23-2021 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:52 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura TL Builder
Thats all relative. Getting a 4250lbs boat to 155mph with only 300whp is not "easily" achievable.
I currently drive 2020 BMW 540 xDrive. It has less power (335 crank bhp), less torque (331lbf), weights almost as much as TLX-S (4100lbs) and easily reaches its computer limited 131 mph.
I expect TLX-S to be as fast or faster.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:53 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
This is funny, none of the car reviewing experts seem to be disputing Acura's rear bias claims yet we have folks here who aren't engineers accusing Acura of dishonesty. Go figure. I really think it's just a matter of not really understanding the point Acura is making.
Money talks or it does not when it is should not.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:54 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I currently drive 2020 BMW 540 xDrive. It has less power (335 crank bhp), less torque (331lbf), weights almost as much as TLX-S (4100lbs) and easily reaches its computer limited 131 mph.
Except you have a detuned but unrated B58 engine soo...
The following users liked this post:
Acura TL Builder (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 07:31 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Getting a car to 155MPH is vastly the power and aerodynamics of the vehicle. Vehicle weight plays a very minor role in tire static friction losses which are constant.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 05-24-2021 at 07:35 AM.
one4all (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 07:48 AM
Pro

Received 494 Likes on 242 Posts
The 540i can hit 60 in 4.7s as per C&D. The Type S might beat that as it has both a HP-to-weight and Tq-to-weight advantage over the Bimmer, but we all know BMW is underrating their figures, by a lot.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:35 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Dyno and you will be pulling that power or more to the wheels so i think you will walk over the type s......the B58 is a crazy engine and lets not forget the quick shifting 8 speed. i took my brother for a ride in my car yesterday he was trying to grab the door handle to hold on because of the torque. only way to find out is when the type s starts to do some head to head comp with these cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by kuzdu:
04WDPSeDaN (05-24-2021), Acura TL Builder (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 09:20 AM
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
This is funny, none of the car reviewing experts seem to be disputing Acura's rear bias claims yet we have folks here who aren't engineers accusing Acura of dishonesty. Go figure. I really think it's just a matter of not really understanding the point Acura is making.
Are you sure all of the car reviewers are "experts on cars" or "experts on reviewing"? There are many reviewer today, and the majority of them just regurgitate what the manufacturer tells them.

You can look at the front and rare bias in two different ways. If we take the Acura SH-AWD;
1) It is front biased because most of the time, more of the torque goes to the front than the back.
2) It has always been rare biased "only when it needs to be". 70% going to the back makes it rare biased, but only when it needs that in the back.

Question: If the SH-AWD system has always been able to send only 70% of the torque to the back, then how come the new one is more rare biased than the old one?
Answer: It is not, but the SH programing has been tweaked to send more of that 70% to the back wheels sooner based on a given accelerator paddle angle and the rate of acceleration (especially in radial), so that it now feels more closer to a RWD car than it used to feel before.

On hard acceleration out of a corner, the 4G TL would kick out the back, but only 10-15 degrees before it starts diverting the power to the front (this is with all the nannies on). This can be changed by the electronics to give you and I a totally different feeling in the car.
The following 5 users liked this post by Vipula AD:
04WDPSeDaN (05-24-2021), Acura TL Builder (05-24-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (05-24-2021), loki (05-24-2021), Neoforever (06-02-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 09:23 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kuzdu
Dyno and you will be pulling that power or more to the wheels so i think you will walk over the type s......the B58 is a crazy engine and lets not forget the quick shifting 8 speed. i took my brother for a ride in my car yesterday he was trying to grab the door handle to hold on because of the torque. only way to find out is when the type s starts to do some head to head comp with these cars.
I wish all manufacturers underrated the power output.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vipula AD:
04WDPSeDaN (05-24-2021), Acura TL Builder (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 09:32 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Getting a car to 155MPH is vastly the power and aerodynamics of the vehicle. Vehicle weight plays a very minor role in tire static friction losses which are constant.
Yap, top speed is almost all to do with drag and little to do with vehicle weight. Acceleration, and fuel economy in city driving, on the other hand has a lot to do with weight.
Had a 2004 SAAB 9-3 with only 210Hp (crank). It would get north of 145 before running out of steam due to a very respectable Cd.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:56 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Vipula AD
I wish all manufacturers underrated the power output.
When I was talking to Kuzdu, I told him once you experience the B58 engine and it's capabilities, there's no looking back and regretting it. I'm certain he can nail 0-60 in under 3 seconds now with some minor modifications he has. BMW always underrates their engines and not by a bit, by a good amount. I was surprised when I had my M40i on rollers. I was like "well played BMW, well played.."

To put the nail in the coffin i've said the only way to know what the TLX-S actually puts down, is to get it on rollers. The problem right now, we have forums experts, who no offense, don't own any performance oriented vehicles nor have built anything worth bragging, that are over hyping the abilities of the TLX-S. From the SH-AWD performance down to the aerodynamics of the vehicle.. The same ones before the 20th were all about the performance aspect (yes, including 0-60 times) but now it seems we've fallen back on "0-60 isn't everything, it's about the whole package" debate. As many others said, Acura is to blame due to their PR team using SpEcIaL and ClEvEr advertisement behind this vehicle.

As it's my opinion, it's over priced, under performs and lacks the options the competition has. While it's a great effort for Acura, they made terrible mistakes with the design. Any person that has worked on vehicles and built engines will tell you that the engine design is ass backwards. I do not expect long term reliability with such a terrible setup. This vehicle is could be as costly to maintain as the Germans. Brembo brakes costs more, performance tires cost more, adaptive suspension costs more, double wish bone costs more to maintain, still has a timing belt, has variable exhaust flaps in the muffler. The list goes on. So for those youtube, facebook ect Acura heros claiming this vehicle will cost way less and be more reliable vs the Germans is a bullshit statement.

Remember, at the end of the day, ENGINEERS had their part in the development of not only this vehicle but nearly most of everything around us, but yet things still fail, break and need repairs and the mechanics are their to fix their mistakes . Since I've been running a construction business, I deal with many engineers and architects. Everything on cad or paper is perfect, but they always forget to factor in the real world.

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 05-24-2021 at 09:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
Acura TL Builder (05-24-2021), Monte TLS,MAX (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 10:22 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
When I was talking to Kuzdu, I told him once you experience the B58 engine and it's capabilities, there's no looking back and regretting it. I'm certain he can nail 0-60 in under 3 seconds now with some minor modifications he has. BMW always underrates their engines and not by a bit, by a good amount. I was surprised when I had my M40i on rollers. I was like "well played BMW, well played.."

To put the nail in the coffin i've said the only way to know what the TLX-S actually puts down, is to get it on rollers. The problem right now, we have forums experts, who no offense, don't own any performance oriented vehicles nor have built anything worth bragging, that are over hyping the abilities of the TLX-S. From the SH-AWD performance down to the aerodynamics of the vehicle.. The same ones before the 20th were all about the performance aspect (yes, including 0-60 times) but now it seems we've fallen back on "0-60 isn't everything, it's about the whole package" debate. As many others said, Acura is to blame due to their PR team using SpEcIaL and ClEvEr advertisement behind this vehicle.

As it's my opinion, it's over priced, under performs and lacks the options the competition has. While it's a great effort for Acura, they made terrible mistakes with the design. Any person that has worked on vehicles and built engines will tell you that the engine design is ass backwards. I do not expect long term reliability with such a terrible setup. This vehicle is could be as costly to maintain as the Germans. Brembo brakes costs more, performance tires cost more, adaptive suspension costs more, double wish bone costs more to maintain, still has a timing belt, has variable exhaust flaps in the muffler. The list goes on. So for those youtube, facebook ect Acura heros claiming this vehicle will cost way less and be more reliable vs the Germans is a bullshit statement.

Remember, at the end of the day, ENGINEERS had their part in the development of not only this vehicle but nearly most of everything around us, but yet things still fail, break and need repairs and the mechanics are their to fix their mistakes . Since I've been running a construction business, I deal with many engineers and architects. Everything on cad or paper is perfect, but they always forget to factor in the real world.
We have to remember that there is no one perfect vehicle in the world, just like there are no perfect people in the world. Everything is a compromise, there are some good aspects and there some not so good aspects. Every car has problems or something someone does not like, and it is not the fault of the engineers. It is just that everything is designed and built as a committee. When you put an entire organization worth of people with different interests to build one product, what you see is what you get. It is up to us the consumer to figure out what would bother us the most and stay away from it. Also, the manufacturers will always sell you the least for the most amount of money, since the bottom line is king. What we do hope and should expect is that the sum of the good things in the new version would be more than the sum of the good things in the old version, and don't forget to ask for more of the good stuff in future models.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vipula AD:
Acura TL Builder (05-24-2021), Honda430 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 10:47 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

We have to remember that there is no one perfect vehicle in the world, just like there are no perfect people in the world. Everything is a compromise, there are some good aspects and there some not so good aspects. Every car has problems or something someone does not like, and it is not the fault of the engineers. It is just that everything is designed and built as a committee. When you put an entire organization worth of people with different interests to build one product, what you see is what you get. It is up to us the consumer to figure out what would bother us the most and stay away from it. Also, the manufacturers will always sell you the least for the most amount of money, since the bottom line is king. What we do hope and should expect is that the sum of the good things in the new version would be more than the sum of the good things in the old version, and don't forget to ask for more of the good stuff in future models.
Perfectly said

I'm glad someone gets it. I'm well aware of "too many hands in one pot" situation. It's unfortunate Acura has strayed from their roots.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Yap, top speed is almost all to do with drag and little to do with vehicle weight. Acceleration, and fuel economy in city driving, on the other hand has a lot to do with weight.
Had a 2004 SAAB 9-3 with only 210Hp (crank). It would get north of 145 before running out of steam due to a very respectable Cd.
yep, aero is the major factor for top speed not weight on road vehicles, it's the reason why a Peterbilt 587 truck with only 485HP can go 130MPH (which I believe is governed) despite weighting in ~50k pounds.
Whether the TLX Type-S weighted 3800 or 4200lb has negligible impact on top speed, vast majority is the Cd and frontal area of the aero design.
IIRC, the 3G TL was governed to 155MPH despite only having 270HP (258HP revised)

Last edited by Legend2TL; 05-24-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:16 PM
Suzuka Master

It also runs the 1/4 mile: 13.3 sec @ 106 mph vs the S4 ź-mile: 12.8 sec @ 108 mph which is lighter & has more rated power.Its a detuned B58 but still under rated like most BMW true power unknown engines.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

This vehicle is could be as costly to maintain as the Germans. Brembo brakes costs more, performance tires cost more, adaptive suspension costs more, double wish bone costs more to maintain, still has a timing belt, has variable exhaust flaps in the muffler. The list goes on. So for those youtube, facebook ect Acura heros claiming this vehicle will cost way less and be more reliable vs the Germans is a bullshit statement.
Read this & it triggered something on maintained costs. First I believe some guys are a lot more "expert" than the typical youtuber who in this case got free transportation & luxury hotel & food accommodations from Acura. The guy from jalopnik went out of his way to say he is a Honda fan but rode his bike & paid his own expenses. At any rate he said this about maintenance cost:

"Heavy heavy heavy. At 4,200 pounds, this isn’t a lightweight track brawler. It’s a sturdy machine. Despite driving much lighter than it actually is, all that weight is still going to be hell on parts. Tires, suspension, brakes, fluids, and more will wear out faster as the weight of a car climbs. I’d hate to have the consumables and maintenance bill for a thing this stout and fast."
The following 4 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
04WDPSeDaN (05-24-2021), ELIN (05-24-2021), Neoforever (06-02-2021), one4all (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 03:49 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts

Couldn't have said it better never looked back, regret or cried over any spilled milk lol im putting on my catless down pipe this weekend and boy oh boy i want to see what's gonna happen after that.....the car is brutal enough as it is now. My brother in law just brought home the asepc tlx blue on black very nice color in person i put a polish on it for him. the car feel biggg to me on the road.....feels like it has a huge front but smooth on the high way..better than my rdx.
04WDPSeDaN (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 04:30 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Read this & it triggered something on maintained costs. First I believe some guys are a lot more "expert" than the typical youtuber who in this case got free transportation & luxury hotel & food accommodations from Acura. The guy from jalopnik went out of his way to say he is a Honda fan but rode his bike & paid his own expenses. At any rate he said this about maintenance cost:

"Heavy heavy heavy. At 4,200 pounds, this isn’t a lightweight track brawler. It’s a sturdy machine. Despite driving much lighter than it actually is, all that weight is still going to be hell on parts. Tires, suspension, brakes, fluids, and more will wear out faster as the weight of a car climbs. I’d hate to have the consumables and maintenance bill for a thing this stout and fast."
I can see the posts now about how expensive repairs are

Just wait til the TLX-S becomes as affordable as the 3rd gen TL. They think the 3rd gen is expensive to maintain, boy... they just don't know it yet.
Acura TL Builder (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts

Just wait til the TLX-S becomes as affordable as the 3rd gen TL. They think the 3rd gen is expensive to maintain, boy... they just don't know it yet.
No doubt repairs will be more costly. For comparison I had a Q50 Red Sport and maintenance was the same price as the Germans. You can’t expect cheap Corolla like costs on stressed higher performance cars.

Last edited by Kense; 05-24-2021 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
No doubt repairs will be more costly. For comparison I had a Q50 Red Sport and maintenance was the same price as the Germans. You can’t expect cheap Corolla like costs on stressed higher performance cars.
Could you please share you maintenance experience on Q50 Red Sport?
Old 05-24-2021, 08:58 PM
Safety Car

By the time the TLX-S is at the current price point of 3G, it will be as remembered as the 2G TL-S. Sure it happened, but nothing to remember foldly.

In those days, the 3G will be hard to find in even decent condition. The teenage fanbois will have destroyed most of them and others will have too many miles to continue.

The price of "rare" parts will be astronomical if your lucky enough to find them.

The 3G Type-S will a be revered golden egg of the later part of Acuras 90s-00s glory days.

Read this in 15-20 years.

When I drive my TL I dont get a sense that the cars outside my windows are a better experience overall. Though I am always comparing it to them, looking for a car to capture me more than the 3G has.
Perhaps I'm easily made happy, or it could be that anything more is novelty.
04WDPSeDaN (05-25-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 09:12 PM
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 32 Posts

There have been a bunch of very good magazine and Youtube reviews, but Jalopnik's write-up was definitely one of the best and most balanced. It went beyond the typical superlatives and subjective criticism to provide useful insight like above. Everyone else talked about how the excellent SH-AWD system does such a great job managing/hiding the TLX's weight around the track, but Bradley was the only one to point out the cost side of the equation. I'm legit scared to see the mileage rating lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by one4all:
04WDPSeDaN (05-25-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 06:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by one4all
There have been a bunch of very good magazine and Youtube reviews, but Jalopnik's write-up was definitely one of the best and most balanced. It went beyond the typical superlatives and subjective criticism to provide useful insight like above. Everyone else talked about how the excellent SH-AWD system does such a great job managing/hiding the TLX's weight around the track, but Bradley was the only one to point out the cost side of the equation. I'm legit scared to see the mileage rating lol.
Don't Look as what C&D posted
Combined/city/highway: 21/19/25 mpg
Acura Spec Sheet

Comparison
FORD F-150 2.7L V6 20/22/26
BMW 440 3.0L I6........25/22/31
Audi S4 3.0L V6..........23/20/28

Hey, I told you not to look!!

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-25-2021 at 06:25 AM.
one4all (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 06:40 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

By the time the TLX-S is at the current price point of 3G, it will be as remembered as the 2G TL-S. Sure it happened, but nothing to remember foldly.

In those days, the 3G will be hard to find in even decent condition. The teenage fanbois will have destroyed most of them and others will have too many miles to continue.

The price of "rare" parts will be astronomical if your lucky enough to find them.

The 3G Type-S will a be revered golden egg of the later part of Acuras 90s-00s glory days.

Read this in 15-20 years.

When I drive my TL I dont get a sense that the cars outside my windows are a better experience overall. Though I am always comparing it to them, looking for a car to capture me more than the 3G has.
Perhaps I'm easily made happy, or it could be that anything more is novelty.
The 3rd gen TL will end up being worth more than the TLX-S in the next 10 years. To be specific, only certain 3rd gen TL's.

What's funny is that our TL's would walk the TLX-S.
(you more )
Acura TL Builder (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 08:57 AM
Safety Car

I wonder if we can setup a test of the two cars? I’ll use my bone stock 5AT Type-S against the new one.

Ill call the dealer when it hits the market and find out if we can schedule that.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:19 AM
Cruisin'

Don't Look as what C&D posted
Acura Spec Sheet
I kind of expected these, not so attractive, numbers because of how heavy it is. It is still a bit of a wow, in a not so good way.
This car is only 0.6" longer, 1.2" wider but 0.8" shorter than the G4 TL-SH (wheelbase is 3.7" longer), but it is 413lb heavier. What did Acura add to make this so heavy? It cant be the 3.7" increase in the AWD drive shaft, the engine is smaller (3.0 vs. 3.7). Did they need 300lb worth of drive line to beef up for added torque? is the 10sp that much heavier than the old slush-box 6? I do hope some of these numbers improve on the production ones, then again that maybe just wishful thinking.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
I kind of expected these, not so attractive, numbers because of how heavy it is. It is still a bit of a wow, in a not so good way.
This car is only 0.6" longer, 1.2" wider but 0.8" shorter than the G4 TL-SH (wheelbase is 3.7" longer), but it is 413lb heavier. What did Acura add to make this so heavy? It cant be the 3.7" increase in the AWD drive shaft, the engine is smaller (3.0 vs. 3.7). Did they need 300lb worth of drive line to beef up for added torque? is the 10sp that much heavier than the old slush-box 6? I do hope some of these numbers improve on the production ones, then again that maybe just wishful thinking.
I ask myself the very same thing. Part of me really wants to start a thread to find ways to cut the fat but not touch the warranty in doing so. Insulation and extra bracing can add a bit, but over 200lbs worth. Even the 2.0T versus old V6 should have been why less than 4000lbs.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
Could you please share you maintenance experience on Q50 Red Sport?
Oil changes were $150, brake rotors constantly warped had to replace the rear rotors twice cost me $1600. Everything else fixed under warranty like the serpentine belt flying off and rear diff leak..
Old 05-25-2021, 11:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Thought it was gearing which could be weight related but understand its the same gear package as the I4. Correct me if I am wrong. Is the SHAWD gear the same? If so they may have frontloaded the gear ratios to get the car off the line quickly. Problem with that is with a 10 speed they should have been able to put in a good cruising gear.

The ZF8 is programed so you can only get 8th, the cruising gear in Comfort or Eco, at high speed over 70mph. In the other drive modes its locked out. Will have to look next run but think I am under 2000rpm @ 85mph

The I4 gas mileage is also lower than expected. But having your V6 gas mileage compared to a full size pickup truck is not good.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:20 PM
Safety Car

The 3rd gen TL will end up being worth more than the TLX-S in the next 10 years. To be specific, only certain 3rd gen TL's.

What's funny is that our TL's would walk the TLX-S.
(you more )
Thanks man Don’t get rid of yours!
Old 05-25-2021, 03:31 PM
AZ Community Team

Acura released the press kit with all the technical descriptions.
  • 6 bolt main caps along with forged steel crank and rods so bottom end should be very robust and durable
  • Cam bearing cams being part of the valve cover must make for accurate machining of those bearing journals
  • VCM (6/3 cylinder) but no VTEC
  • as expected the SHAWD reads all sorts of vehicle parameters for controlling the rear clutch packs
  • Bunch of material science applied to select 10AT parts to handle the higher power/torque
  • The rear bulkhead K (or V) brace is bolted in so that can probably come out in a pinch.
  • Stiffer springs and roll bars

Overview of where engineering and fabrication happens, curious where the S/W and F/W are developed?

Design, engineering and development of the 2021 Acura TLX Type S was conducted primarily in America, with styling led by Acura Design in Torrance, Calif., and full platform development led by engineers at Honda Development & Manufacturing of America, LLC, the company’s development center in Raymond, Ohio. Engineering development of the new 3.0-liter turbocharged V6 was led by the company’s R&D center in Tochigi, Japan.
https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...pe-s-press-kit

May 20, 2021

2021 Acura TLX Type S Press Kit

• Type S performance brand returns to Acura showrooms after more than a decade
  • All-new Acura-exclusive Type S Turbo V6 engine produces 355 horsepower and 354 lb.-ft. of torque
  • Type S exclusive performance elements include specially tuned suspension with adaptive dampers, BremboŽ front brakes, a Sport+ drive mode and 20-inch wheels wrapped in 255-series Pirelli P-Zero tires
  • Standard Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ with true torque vectoring helps optimize handling and control across a broad range of situations and weather conditions
  • Exclusive Type S design touches include open-surface Diamond Pentagon grille, quad exhaust finishers and Milano leather seats with UltrasuedeŽ trim and Type S-embossed headrests

2021 TLX Type S: Overview

For the first time in more than a decade, Type S returns to Acura showrooms with the debut of the 2021 Acura TLX Type S, simply the best performing sedan in Acura history. The new TLX Type S is powered by the Type S Turbo V6, a new Acura-exclusive 355-horsepower turbocharged 3.0-liter engine. It also features a specially tuned double-wishbone front and multilink rear suspension, BremboŽ front brakes and new Sport+ driving mode for the Integrated Dynamics System.

Previously available on select models from the 2001-2008 model years, Acura’s Type S performance brand is recognized by driving enthusiasts seeking a more dynamic driving experience with additional power, improved handling and stronger braking. The 2021 TLX Type S pushes this philosophy to new heights and will be followed by the first-ever Acura MDX Type S.

Previewed by the Type S Concept in 2019, Acura’s engineers have created an emotional and exciting premium performance sedan without sacrificing the everyday usability and comfort of the critically acclaimed second-generation TLX. The new TLX Type S is about 25-percent quicker to 60 mph than the standard TLX with a 0-60 time around 5 seconds and has a significantly higher top speed, increasing from 130 mph to 155 mph (electronically limited). Braking performance is also improved and with standard SH-AWDŇ with torque vectoring, 20-inch wheels and available summer tires, it’s the best performing Acura sedan ever.

TLX Type S is instantly recognizable by its open-surface Diamond Pentagon grille that improves engine cooling, quad exhaust outlets, a front splitter and rear diffuser. Its driver-focused interior features an NSX-inspired flat bottom steering wheel with the Type S logo, 16-way adjustable Milano leather seats with adjustable bolsters and Type S-embossed headrests.

The critically acclaimed and award-winning Acura ELS STUDIO 3DŽ 17-speaker premium audio system is standard, along with Acura’s innovative and driver-oriented True Touchpad Interface™, with its “Absolute Positioning” console-mounted touchpad and high-mounted 10.2-inch HD center display.

Like the rest of the TLX family, Type S comes standard with the AcuraWatch™ suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies. It also features the proprietary new three-chamber front passenger airbag, which is designed to more effectively cradle and protect the front seat occupant’s head to help mitigate injury in obliquely angled frontal collisions.

Type S also is designed with advanced levels of collision protection performance with Acura’s Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure, which helps TLX achieve a TOP SAFETY PICK + rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and a 5-star overall rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

More information on the 2021 Acura TLX is available here.

2021 TLX Type S: Powertrain

What’s New
  • All-new 3.0-liter Type S Turbo V6 engine
  • 355 horsepower
  • 354 lb.-ft. of torque
  • Single twin-scroll turbo
  • Forged crankshaft and connecting rods
  • 6-bolt main caps for improved durability
  • Close-coupled catalytic converter
  • Compact cylinder heads and valvetrain
  • Variable Cylinder ManagementÔ to improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions
  • Active Exhaust
  • Performance-tuned 10-speed automatic with stronger internals, quicker shifts and rev-matched downshifts
  • 4th Generation Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ with improved response

Overview
At the heart of the 2021 TLX Type S is the Type S Turbo V6, an all-new, 24-valve, DOHC 3.0-liter V6 engine with direct-injection and a single twin-scroll turbocharger. Exclusive to Type S models, the engine was developed by some of the company’s most experienced powertrain engineers, including members of the team that developed the Civic Type R engine and the NSX’s bespoke twin-turbocharged V6 hybrid power unit. As a result, the engine benefits from multiple disciplines and learnings from the current 3.5-liter V6, the turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder and the NSX engine itself to produce 355 horsepower and 354 lb.-ft. of torque.

Reengineered to match the additional torque of the new engine, the 10-speed automatic transmission is now stronger and shifts more quickly. Also optimized for the performance demands of the Type S customer, the fourth generation of Acura’s Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ with torque vectoring is standard.

Type S Turbo V6

An all-new, 24-valve, DOHC 3.0-liter with direct-injection and a single twin-scroll turbocharger developing up to 15.1 psi of boost, the Type S Turbo V6 features all-aluminum construction and compact dimensions. Its block is unique, sharing only bore spacing and a 60-degree architecture with the 3.5-liter V6 found in the MDX. Significant differences between the two include the 3.0-liter’s 6-bolt sintered main caps for increased crank rigidity and durability, and a fully square 86 mm bore and stroke.

Numerous engineering steps were taken to ensure the new engine’s compact size and low profile. This includes the placement of the turbocharger adjacent to the engine above the transmission and the use of low-profile cylinder heads. Fully assembled, the engine is 8 mm shorter than the naturally aspirated 3.5-liter V6. The Type S Turbo V6 is also the same width as the 3.5-liter V6.

The newly developed twin-scroll turbo features independent internal paths for the rear and front cylinder banks to feed exhaust pressure to the turbine, which helps improve turbo response. The engine’s rear bank of cylinders pressurize the smaller diameter scroll to rotate the smaller diameter part of the turbine, while the front bank feed the larger diameter scroll and turbine wheel. As a result, the engine’s peak torque of 354 lb.-ft. is available starting from an exceptionally low 1,400 rpm.

To improve emissions, the turbo system’s heat management has been optimized to quickly activate the catalytic converter. This includes the use of a double pipe from the exhaust manifolds to the turbo itself that includes external bellows to dissipate extra heat. The catalytic converter connects to the exhaust outlet of the turbo using a V-band, which further reduces heat mass entering the catalyst. This is the first time this thermal management technology has been used in the Acura engine. To better manage overall engine temperatures an additional sub-radiator is employed and the open-surface Diamond Pentagon grille increases airflow to the engine compartment by 10 percent.

To meet the demands of extreme performance and durability, the Type S Turbo V6 also features a robust rotating assembly. Like the twin-turbo V6 in the NSX, it employs a high-strength forged steel crankshaft, while its connecting rods use the forged steel construction from Acura’s 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder.

Unique to the Type S Turbo V6 is the design of its pistons. The top piston ring carrier is a high-density Ni-resist cast iron, which features better wear characteristics and better sealing, helping to reduce emissions.

2021 TLX and TLX Type S Engines

2021 TLX

2021 TLX Type S

Engine Type

Turbo Aluminum-alloy
4-Cylinder

Turbo Aluminum-alloy
6-Cylinder

Turbo Type

Mono-scroll

Twin-Scroll

Displacement (liters)

Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net)

272 @ 6500

355 @ 5500

Torque, lb.-ft. @ rpm (SAE net)

280 @ 1600-4500

354 @ 1400-5000

Valvetrain

16-Valve, DOHC VTECŽ

24-Valve, DOHC

Variable Cylinder Management™

-

Compression Ratio

9.8:1

9.8:1

Fuel Injection

Direct

Direct

Throttle Control

Drive-by-Wire Throttle System

Drive-by-Wire Throttle System

Idle Stop

CARB Emissions Rating

SULEV-30

ULEV70

Tune-Up Interval

100k +/- Miles No Scheduled Tune-Ups

100k +/- Miles No Scheduled Tune-Ups

EPA Fuel Economy Ratings: (City/Highway/Combined)1

21 / 29 / 24

19 / 25 / 21

1. Based on 2022 EPA mileage ratings; Use for comparison purposes only; Your mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, and other factors.

Low-Profile Double Overhead Cam Cylinder Heads
Multiple solutions have been employed to fit the Type S Turbo V6 under the low hood line of the TLX. To help achieve the engine’s low-profile form, engineers did away with separate cam bearing caps and instead incorporated the caps directly into the valve cover itself. Not only does this help lower the engine’s height, it also reduces the number of parts.

Variable Cylinder Management™
A primary goal of the new Type S Turbo V6 was to implement Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM™) to improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions. Simultaneously achieving this goal with the twin-cam, low-profile heads and turbocharged engine presented unique challenges, resulting in an all-new mechanism.

VCM™ operates the engine with three cylinders in a wide range of situations to maximize fuel efficiency and lower emissions, switching seamlessly to six-cylinder operation when more power is needed. In order to prevent pumping losses, the engine computer closes the valves on the inactive cylinders. On the SOHC 3.5-liter engine, this is accomplished by using VTECŽ, which locks the rocker arms activating the valves together to prevent the valves from opening when VCM™ is active.

Due to the low-profile of the new DOHC cylinder heads, this arrangement has been replaced with a more compact rocker arm and hydraulic lash adjuster design. When all six cylinders are in use, a pin in the valve lifter assembly is held in place with oil pressure. When VCM™ is activated under light cruise and when off-boost, the engine’s Electronic Control Unit (ECU) drops the oil pressure, allowing the pin to slide out of the lifter, creating a gap that prevents the valve from opening. When the ECU determines all six cylinders are needed, the system re-pressurizes the oil, sliding the pin back in place and reactivating the valves for full power, all before the turbo can create boost.

Active Vibration Control

To maintain smooth operation when Variable Cylinder Management™ is engaged, new engine mounts and Active Vibration Control are used. Unique to the Type S Turbo V6, AVC uses sensors to detect and cancel out vibrations from the engine, and for the first time also help to cancel out vibration from the chassis as well, making use of VCM™ nearly imperceptible by the vehicle’s occupants. In addition, careful tuning of the AVC is used in the different Integrated Dynamic Modes to create a quieter or sportier engine sound.

Active Exhaust
TLX Type S also features an Active Exhaust system, adapted from the NSX. The Active Exhaust opens a butterfly valve in each muffler to let more of the V6 engine’s natural sound enter the cabin for a distinct auditory experience. When fully opened, the exhaust sound is 5-7 decibels louder, as measured from about 20 inches (500mm) 45-degrees laterally from the exhaust tip. In addition, the exhaust system valve is used to vary the exhaust system flow rate, which helps reduce possible “booming” from the exhaust system, as well as helping with the gear-shift “pop” sound.

The Active Exhaust system operation is dependent on the selected Integrated Dynamics System mode. In Comfort mode, the valves are closed at startup and at idle, and remain closed until 4,000 rpm. In Normal mode the engine starts and idles with the valves open for a more exciting startup experience. Once the transmission is shifted into gear, the valves close and remain closed until 4,000 rpm. In Sport mode, the valves are fully open at idle and at launch but close during cruising, and in Sport+ the valves are open at all times.

Active Exhaust System Operation

IDS Mode

COMFORT

NORMAL

SPORT

SPORT+

Idle RPM

Start Up Mode

Closed

Open

-

-

Idle Mode

Closed

Open

Open

Open

Driving Mode

Closed < 4,000 RPM

Closed < 4,000 RPM

Launch = Open
Cruising = Closed

Open

Active Noise Cancellation™
Active Noise Cancellation™ (ANC) is applied to reduce unwanted sound, especially during VCM™ cylinder deactivation mode. The ANC system also incorporates Active Sound Control (ASC), which enhances the vehicle’s natural engine, intake and exhaust sound inside the cabin using the vehicle’s speakers.

High-Performance 10-Speed Automatic Transmission
The new engine is exclusively paired with an enhanced version of Acura’s 10-speed automatic that has been updated to handle the considerable torque and power output of the Type S Turbo V6. Updated internal components include a new torque converter, stronger internal gears, improved internal clutches, and a Type S-exclusive transmission cooler mounted in front of the radiator designed to keep the transmission operating temperatures constant even at the vehicle’s 155-mph top speed.

Drivers can choose fully automatic operation or use steering-wheel mounted paddles to manually shift for themselves. When using the paddles, the transmission uses Type S-exclusive programming for 40-percent quicker downshifts. In Sport+ mode, the transmission also upshifts 30 percent faster by using a brief fuel cut during the gearchange.

Internally, the 10-speed automatic underwent significant changes. The P1 and P3 pinion gears both use stronger materials, and the P2, P3, intermediate shaft, and P1 ring hub all benefit from a fine-particle peen (FPP) process. Similar to more conventional shot peening, FPP uses a much smaller media that increases surface hardness and wear resistance, but with an ultra-smooth finish that is ideal for the close-tolerance areas inside a transmission. Additional strengthening measures include carbon nitriding of the two-way clutch hub, and a paproslide solid lubricant coating on the P2 sun gear. Additionally, a new torque converter uses a high torque-compliant damper to accommodate the increased torque output of the new engine, and the transmission valve body is also modified for the high-pressure usage needed for lock up control on the high-torque engine.

Super Handling All-Wheel Drive System™ (SH-AWDŽ)

The TLX Type S comes standard with the fourth generation of Acura's acclaimed Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWDŽ), making it the first Type S ever with SH-AWDŽ. The system progressively distributes optimum torque not only between the front and rear axles, but also between the left and right rear wheels for more precise and exhilarating handling response across a wide variety of road conditions.

Introduced in the 2019 RDX, the rear differential in the fourth-generation SH-AWDŽ system has been enhanced specifically in anticipation for the new Type S Turbo V6. Compared to the third-generation system, maximum rear axle torque capacity has been increased by 40 percent, and the rear wheels also receive torque 30 percent faster in normal conditions. Up to 70 percent of torque can be sent to the rear axle, and 100 percent of that torque can be distributed to either the left or right rear wheel.

This is achieved by the adoption of a shorter hydraulic circuit and a higher-torque electric motor that drives the rear differential's twin hydraulic pumps. The hydraulic circuit was also optimized for more consistent response time at the left and right rear wheels.

Depending on throttle angle and vehicle speed, in Sport+ mode the system’s side-to-side bias is increased 40-percent over its response in Sport mode to provide an even sportier rear-wheel drive experience.

When cornering, SH-AWDŽ distributes more torque to the outside rear wheel, creating a yaw moment to help turn the vehicle through corners, which makes for more accurate turns, reducing understeer and improving controllability. With cornering forces more evenly distributed between front and rear tires, the ability to utilize more torque is increased on wet and dry roads. The system also overdrives the rear axle by 2.9 percent, which amplifies the yaw effect of lateral rear-wheel torque distribution when cornering.

The SH-AWDŽ system works in cooperation with the Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSAŽ) system and Agile Handling AssistŽ to optimize torque distribution for superior handling and traction utilization. The engine ECU provides information on engine rpm, airflow and transmission gear-ratio selection, while the VSAŽ ECU provides wheel-speed data. The SH-AWDŽ ECU also monitors steering angle, lateral g-forces, vehicle yaw rate and electrohydraulic clutch engagement for the right and left rear axle shafts. Drive torque is calculated by the ECU, and then the acceleration, wheel spin, lateral G-force and steering angle are used to determine the front-to-rear torque distribution and the torque split between right and left rear wheels.

Based on the Integrated Dynamics System mode selected, one of three different SH-AWDŽ maps is used. Normal and Comfort modes have SH-AWDŽ programming aimed at all-around driving, while Sport mode has a more aggressive SH-AWDŽ programming that targets performance driving. Sport+ uses an even more aggressive torque management programming focused on maximizing cornering agility and handling performance.

The TLX Type S SH-AWDŽ is a full-time all-wheel-drive system with a torque-transfer unit bolted directly to the front-mounted transaxle. The torque-transfer unit receives torque through a spline connection that is part of the front differential housing. A set of helical gear shafts and a hypoid gear set within the torque-transfer unit sends power to the propeller shaft, which in turn transfers power to the rear differential.

The lightweight SH-AWDŽ rear differential utilizes an electric motor that powers a pair of hydraulic pumps – one for each clutch pack. A pair of linear solenoids controlled by the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) selectively sends pressure to the clutch packs, which in turn control the amount of power sent to each rear wheel increasing cornering grip and line traceability.

2021 TLX and TLX Type S Transmission and SH-AWDŽ

TLX 2.0T

TLX Type S

Change Point

Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWDŽ)

Available

Rear torque transfer increased 40% in Sport+

10-Speed Automatic Transmission

30% faster upshifts in Sport+

Sequential SportShift Paddle Shifters

40% faster downshifts

Rev-Matching Downshifts

-

More information on the 2021 Acura TLX powertrain is available here.

2021 TLX Type S: Body & Chassis

What’s New
  • 13-percent stiffer body structure via additional bracing under the hood, an “A-Brace” at rear bulkhead, and internal frame stiffeners in key locations
  • 40-percent stiffer front spring rate
  • Stiffer front and rear stabilizer bars
  • Type S-specific shock valving
  • BremboŽ front brakes with 14.3-inch rotors and four-piston fixed calipers
  • Electric Power Steering retuned for quicker response
  • Updated Integrated Dynamics System with Sport+ mode
  • 20-inch wheels and tires (TLX first)
  • Available lightweight NSX-inspired wheel design with Pirelli P Zero Summer tires

When introduced last year, the bespoke chassis of the second-generation TLX made it the stiffest sedan ever produced by Acura. For the TLX Type S, the exclusive platform has been further tuned for additional strength, refinement and response. Changes include additional structural reinforcement of the body, updates to the double wishbone front and multilink independent rear suspension, fine-tuning of the steering and adaptive dampers, more powerful brakes, and standard 20-inch wheels and tires.

Structural Enhancements

For Type S duty, the TLX body has been further reinforced with additional bracing, resulting in an additional 13-percent improvement in chassis rigidity. This enhanced rigidity helps improve handling and chassis responsiveness, giving the TLX Type S sharper reflexes.

Specific areas of reinforcement start in the front, with additional structural braces linking the shock towers, and triangulating to the firewall to create a stiffer “box” for the engine and transmission. In the rear, steel reinforcements behind the rear seats create an “A-Brace”, stiffening the rear bulkhead and significantly improving rear tire contact patch under aggressive cornering. Additional structural enhancements include an extra mid-floor crossmember and stiffer rear wheel arches. Total curb weight for the TLX Type S is 4,221 pounds, or 4,200 pounds with the available lightweight wheels (see below).

Double-Wishbone Front Suspension
The TLX’s front suspension uses two wishbone-shaped control arms, in place of the more common MacPherson strut setup in many competing sport sedans including the BMW M340i, to deliver more precise control of wheel camber, caster and toe angles, and to maximize tire-to-ground contact for exceptional handling precision and cornering grip. Due to its inherent performance-enhancing attributes, double wishbone suspension underpins the second-generation NSX supercar and was a staple of Acura performance products of the past, including the Legend (1986-1995), Integra (1990-2001), TL and TL Type S (1996-2014), and first-generation NSX (1991-2005).

To further improve handling and driver excitement, the front double-wishbone suspension and rear multilink suspension of the TLX Type S have been updated to fully utilize the sedan’s reinforced chassis. Engineers added 40-percent stiffer front springs, and a slightly thicker front stabilizer bar (29.5 mm to 30 mm) that is 9-percent stiffer. In the rear, the spring rates are unchanged from TLX to help preserve a comfortable ride, and the thickness of the stabilizer bar has increased from 20.5 mm to 22.5 mm for 31-percent additional roll stiffness.

Adaptive Damper System
TLX Type S uses Acura’s Adaptive Damper System, which continuously adjusts damping force based on sensor inputs. The dampers are also tied into the Integrated Dynamics System, providing three unique damping curves set to the driving mode (Comfort, Normal, Sport). For Type S, the dampers use exclusive valve rates with 4-percent more damping capability in the front and 9-percent more in the rear, which give the car a sportier feel with more feedback in all modes.

In addition, thicker gussets connect the side frame and the damper housings, to help support the damper housing from the increased cornering loads from the sticker tires worn by the Type S.

Belt-driven Electric Power Steering (EPS) system
The belt-driven Electric Power Steering (EPS) system in TLX Type S uses a unique variable gear ratio tuned for a more responsive feel than the standard TLX, particularly in initial response. This gives TLX Type S a much more agile feel at low- to mid-range speeds.

Electro Servo Braking System
First developed for the second-generation NSX, Acura’s electric-servo system allows engineers to finely tune the brake pedal force in the TLX Type S and electronically control the brake pressure to optimize the vehicle’s performance driving characteristics, while giving TLX Type S a brake stroke that’s very similar to NSX.

BremboŽ Front Brakes

Braking performance is further improved with the addition of larger, more powerful BremboŽ front brakes. The new BremboŽ four-piston front calipers grip rotors that are 14.3-inches in diameter (+1.3 inches) and 1.2 inches thick, for an 11-percent increase in thermal mass, for improved resistance to fade in the kinds of repeated hard use demanded of brakes in a performance sedan. Stopping distances from 60 mph are improved by 13 percent.

The rear brake calipers are painted in the same red as the front, and the brake rotors in both front and rear are treated with Ferritic Nitrocarburizing (FNC) coating for improved corrosion resistance.

Type S Integrated Dynamics System
With its standard Integrated Dynamics System, the TLX Type S offers drivers an expanded ability to customize their driving experience. In addition to Normal, Comfort, Sport and Individual modes, Type S adds an exclusive Sport+ mode.

Sport+ is activated by turning the Dynamic Mode dial all the way to the right and holding it for one second. When activated, Sport+ further sharpens throttle response, quickens transmission upshifts by 30-percent, and enables an even more aggressive SH-AWDŽ profile, while retaining the aggressive damper settings and higher steering effort from Sport mode. Depending on throttle angle and vehicle speed, in Sport+ mode side-to-side bias of the SH-AWDŽ system is increased 40-percent over its response in Sport mode to provide an even sportier rear-wheel drive experience.

Type S Wheels & Tires
TLX Type S comes with a choice of two different wheels and tires. Standard is a 20x9.0 shark-gray finished multi-spoke design reminiscent of the wheels on the Type S Concept. The standard tire option is a 255/35R20 Pirelli Cinturano P7 all-season performance tire.

Available as a factory installed option is a lightweight split five-spoke wheel inspired by the Acura NSX. The four lightweight wheels reduce unsprung weight by 5.78 pounds each and are paired with 255/35R20 Pirelli P Zero Summer tires, each of which weigh 0.44 pounds more than the standard all-season tires. The total reduction of about 21.3 pounds in unsprung weight has an outsized impact versus weight savings elsewhere in the car, with the lower rotational inertia helping to improve agility and roadholding, while simultaneously benefitting ride comfort. The Pirelli P Zero Summer tire was specifically developed for the TLX Type S. Acura developed all aspects of the tire with Pirelli to match development targets, including performance on the racetrack.

More information on the 2021 Acura TLX body and chassis is available here.

2021 TLX Type S: Exterior & Interior

Type S Exclusive Exterior & Interior Features
  • Open-surface Diamond Pentagon grille
  • Front splitter
  • 20-inch wheels
  • Quad exhaust outlets
  • Rear diffuser
  • Tiger Eye Pearl paint
  • 16-way heated and cooled seats with UltrasuedeŽ inserts
  • Orchid Milano Leather interior
  • Embossed Type S logo on head restraints
  • Type S badges on grille, trunk lid, fenders, key fob, steering wheel, sill plates
Overview
As with the entire TLX lineup, the styling of the 2021 Acura TLX is heavily derived from the Type S Concept from 2019. The Type S is distinct from any angle with unique touches such as an aggressive front splitter, large quad-exhaust outlets and a purposeful rear diffuser.

Exterior
Numerous Type S signatures distinguish the TLX performance variant, including an exclusive open-surface Diamond Pentagon grille increasing engine airflow by 10-percent, splitter on the front fascia, in addition to gloss black grille and matte black window surrounds. Type S also features headlights with a blackout treatment, better matching the dark theme.

In the rear, Type S adds a more pronounced gloss-black diffuser to the bottom of the rear fascia, and large quad-exhaust finishers which incorporate the Active Exhaust system. Type S badges are found on the grille, front fenders and trunk lid. Both 20-inch wheel options showcase the bright red brake calipers in front and rear. Similar to the front end, the taillights have a dark finish.

Additionally, Type S is available with carbon fiber decklid lip spoiler, carbon-fiber diffuser, and lower side sills as dealer-installed accessories to even more closely match the Type S Concept.

TLX Type S will be available in six exterior colors: Modern Steel Metallic, Majestic Black Pearl, Platinum White Pearl, Performance Red Pearl, Apex Blue Pearl and a Type S exclusive Tiger Eye Pearl.

Interior
Inside the cabin, exclusive Type S features include 16-way power adjustable front seats with power adjustable bolsters, contrasting stitching and piping as well as the Type S logo embossed on the head restraint. Three interior colors are available: Ebony, Red, and the Type S-exclusive Orchid, all with Black UltrasuedeŽ inserts. Type S also features an NSX-inspired flat-bottom steering wheel with a prominent Type S logo, authentic aluminum trim on the doors and dash, Type S door sill trim and French stitching on the dash top and door armrests.

TLX TYPE S INTERIOR COLORS

TLX TYPE S EXTERIOR COLORS

Ebony

Red

New: Orchid

New: Tiger Eye Pearl*

Performance Red Pearl*

Majestic Black Pearl*

Platinum White Pearl*

Apex Blue Pearl*

Modern Steel Metallic

* Premium Paint offered at an additional cost

The critically acclaimed and award-winning Acura ELS STUDIO 3DŽ 17-speaker premium audio system is standard, along with Acura’s innovative and driver-oriented True Touchpad Interface™, with its “Absolute Positioning” console-mounted touchpad and high-mounted 10.2-inch HD center display.

Major Features Comparison

2021 TLX 2.0T

2021 TLX Type S

Full-LED Exterior Lighting

True Touchpad Interface™ with 10.2-inch HD display

Acura Navigation with 3D View

w/ Technology Package

CarPlayŽ / Android Auto™ Integration

Wireless Charging Pad

w/ Technology Package

ELS Studio 3DŽ 17 Speaker, 710 watts
w/ Twin Telford™ Subs

A-Spec and Advance Package

Integrated Dynamic System (IDS)

4 Mode: Comfort, Normal, Sport, Individual

5 Mode: Comfort, Normal, Sport, Sport+,Individual

16-way Power Front Seats

w/ Advance Package

Heated & Ventilated Front Seats

w/ A-Spec, Advance Package

Heated Rear Outboard Seats

w/ Advance Package

-

Flat Bottom Sport Steering Wheel

w/ A-Spec Package

Heated Steering Wheel

w/ Advance Package

Available

Geometric Brushed Aluminum Trim

w/ A-Spec Package

IconicDrive™ Ambient LED Lighting

w/ Technology Package

Remote Engine Start

w/ Advance Package

Power Folding Side Mirrors

w/ Advance Package

Rain Sensing Wipers

w/ Advance Package

4G LTE WiFi Hot Spot

Surround View Camera System

w/ Advance Package

-

Head Up Display

w/ Advance Package

-

AcuraWatch™

Traffic Jam Assist (TJA)

More information on the 2021 Acura TLX exterior, interior and safety features is available here.

2021 TLX Type S: Design, Development and Manufacturing

Design, engineering and development of the 2021 Acura TLX Type S was conducted primarily in America, with styling led by Acura Design in Torrance, Calif., and full platform development led by engineers at Honda Development & Manufacturing of America, LLC, the company’s development center in Raymond, Ohio. Engineering development of the new 3.0-liter turbocharged V6 was led by the company’s R&D center in Tochigi, Japan.

The new TLX Type S is manufactured exclusively at the company’s Marysville, Ohio, plant using domestic and globally sourced parts, with the company’s Anna, Ohio, engine plant serving as the exclusive global source for the 3.0-liter turbocharged engine. This same facility builds all Acura engines sold in North America including the twin-turbo V6 used in the NSX. The 10-speed automatic transmission is manufactured at the company’s Tallapoosa, Georgia, plant, and the SH-AWDŽ system’s front power takeoff unit and rear differential is manufactured in the company’s Russells Point, Ohio, plant.

# # #

Last edited by Legend2TL; 05-25-2021 at 03:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
a35tl (05-25-2021), BBRL (06-25-2021), JDM_DOHC_SiR (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 04:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,416 Likes on 1,868 Posts
Glad to see they stopped called it a rear-biased SH-AWD system.

Interesting that it says the engine development was led by the Tochigi team. Previously they said the engine was being developed by members from the team that developed the NSX engine...but wasn't the NSX engine developed in Ohio? Not that I mind of course; their Japanese R&D center has some of the finest engineers on the planet.

Last edited by fiatlux; 05-25-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Glad to see they stopped called it a rear-biased SH-AWD system.

Interesting that it says the engine development was led by the Tochigi team. Previously they said the engine was being developed by members from the team that developed the NSX engine...but wasn't the NSX engine developed in Ohio? Not that I mind of course; their Japanese R&D center has some of the finest engineers on the planet.
Its a British Cosworth engine with final assembly in Anna Ohio.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Its a British Cosworth engine with final assembly in Anna Ohio.
Sorta, the engine was designed by Honda.
Cosworth does fabrication of it's major castings and machining of those castings.
And as you said, the final assembly is in Ohio.
https://www.cosworth.com/case_studie...manufacturing/

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion