Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio & Wisconsin

Twin Cities Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterT
Good find. I'm in need of new HID bulbs. How's the quality and longevity?
Check out this thread. A lot of good info here.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?36407-New-osram-D2S-bulb-Xenarc-quot-cool-blue-intense-quot-must-see

These bulbs have two good sides to them. They come in OEM 5000K compared to the OEM color of 4300K which tends to have more of a yellow output, the CBI's have a pure white color to them. Also they produce about 3400 lumens. I don't remember if they say these color shift like the OEM Osrams, or if they stay the same color like the Philips 85122+.

Originally Posted by Carmodifier
I would be interested if he was offering the D2R...
These will still fit D2R with a little modification. You'd have to cut a dimple on the right side of the slot.

Originally Posted by WBA-01
The D2S do fit your headlights, it's just the cut-off point is higher. I have D2S in mine now. But i'm toying with the idea of tsx projector's getting retrofitted in. I just can't get myself to open up my set yet.
Do you have another spot in your headlight for high beams? I can't picture what they look like at the moment. Why are you thinking of going with the TSX projectors? TSX projectors aren't the best, i'd recommend looking into the Lexus RX-AFS
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=155&osCsid=1raqm0s1f7 or6v94i6oab9up90d7418e

Or if you want to spend the dough, look into S2K projectors the best low beam on the market right now. If you want help opening them, let me know
Old 04-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any suggestions on replacing a front bumper? mine had a bunch of paint chips when i bought it and i cant stand it anymore =(
Old 04-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Hey guys, made it down to Austin this morning, left at 11am yesterday and arrived at 6am this morning, drove straight through. It was a long slog, but I'm here and can say that it is sunny and warm with a nice light cool breeze, I'll be sending warm thoughts your way.

Let me know if any of you make it to Austin, Tx anytime, as soon as our loft sells in Mpls we'll be moving into our own house down here. If you know anyone that wants a loft in Downtown Mpls, let me know.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Originally Posted by rico651
any suggestions on replacing a front bumper? mine had a bunch of paint chips when i bought it and i cant stand it anymore =(
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=part_picker&make=Acura&mo del=TL&year=2007&version=4DR%20BASE%20(NAVIGATION) &transmission=KA5AT&system=PARTS&component=BUMP ERS
Old 04-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by asujosh1
Hey guys, made it down to Austin this morning, left at 11am yesterday and arrived at 6am this morning, drove straight through. It was a long slog, but I'm here and can say that it is sunny and warm with a nice light cool breeze, I'll be sending warm thoughts your way.

Let me know if any of you make it to Austin, Tx anytime, as soon as our loft sells in Mpls we'll be moving into our own house down here. If you know anyone that wants a loft in Downtown Mpls, let me know.
Well glad you made it. I did not get a call you were leaving. Well let you know if we are ever heading your way.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by rico651
Take it to fairway collision the will do a great job and make it look like new.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Originally Posted by Takata 18
Well glad you made it. I did not get a call you were leaving. Well let you know if we are ever heading your way.
It was kind of a quick thing. I was waiting for the vet to come over and drug up my cats, but he kept putting me off and eventually I just got tired of waiting and left.

I should be back up there once a month until the loft sells, I'll be giving you a shout when I do.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drove up to Alexandria and they installed my "custom" exhaust no problem. I told the guys there that Midas had told me it couldnt be done because there isnt enough room and the pipes dont match up... The Alex exhaust owner took one measurement of the stock muffler, test fit the new muffler and 5 seconds later said "Not a problem" and started cutting. They took out the resonator and mid muffler then welded straight pipe and the new mufflers. Then they dropped it down and started it up, it wasnt too loud so I asked if there was a way they could make it louder, he raised the car back up and took the CAT out and welded straight pipe then dropped it back down. Well, it was louder but surprisingly not as loud as i thought it would be... Full Blown quoted me at $200.00 for 3 hours of work... Alex exhaust did it in 50min (including stopping to take a phone call and talk to visiting family members) and only charged me $78.00...

Ill post videos as soon as i fugure out how to post them without allowing people to see ALL of my pictures on photobucket... Im photo retarded

Last edited by Evil_Pineapple; 04-24-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Advanced

Talking

That's great. Does it sound like mine. I am looking forward to hearing the sound on our next meet on the 14th.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

That's great. Does it sound like mine. I am looking forward to hearing the sound on our next meet on the 14th.

No, its not even close to being as loud as yours... Im trying to post the videos i took but I cant figure out how to post the video from photobucket without it opening a new page and allowing people to share my video...
Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Punctuation Nazi

This might prove useful...

http://pic.pbsrc.com/help/Content/Sh...rviewShare.htm
Old 04-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

I guess im trying to Embed a video?
Old 04-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Send me the video, I'll upload it to my YouTube page and share it out.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Im still working on posting the video... I have no Idea what im doing wrong but I cant embed the video for some reason
Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Punctuation Nazi

fail.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Here it is fellas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64e3ZF3vdSo
Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Punctuation Nazi

HAHA, that worked!

Sounds great, now you'll be able to hear your car when you're autocrossing. My wife never understood my desire for a loud exhaust until she took the Scoobaru to the autocross, then all of a sudden she loved the loudness of the exhaust.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Advanced

Talking

Sounds good dude. I like it. Happy Easter everyone. God bless all.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Josh... LOL I know, I was working all through the day to try and figure out how to embed the video and then I just said fuck it and posted the link and poof... there it was, just the way I wanted....

It is louder but when im driving, I really have to get on it to hear it... maybe its because its an AT but I would like it to be louder. I have another video of me driving away but it shows my license plate very clear and im not cool with that. If you guys wanna see that one ill post it in a private message.

Last edited by Evil_Pineapple; 04-24-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Land of 10,000 lakes

The exhaust sounds pretty good man Not raspy at all like mine lol.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Intermediate

Sounds great! How's the drone inside the car?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Instructor

I hope you guys had a great Easter!

What do you guys think of that motorized license plate holder mod? When the plate is showing, the holder hangs down 1.25". When the plate is hidden, the holder hangs down 1". Do you think I will scrap the holder going over bumps (i.e. entering/exiting my driveway) and break it, or do you think I will be fine?

Glad to hear you guys made it down there safely!
Originally Posted by Evil_Pineapple
Drove up to Alexandria and they installed my "custom" exhaust no problem. I told the guys there that Midas had told me it couldnt be done because there isnt enough room and the pipes dont match up... The Alex exhaust owner took one measurement of the stock muffler, test fit the new muffler and 5 seconds later said "Not a problem" and started cutting. They took out the resonator and mid muffler then welded straight pipe and the new mufflers. Then they dropped it down and started it up, it wasnt too loud so I asked if there was a way they could make it louder, he raised the car back up and took the CAT out and welded straight pipe then dropped it back down. Well, it was louder but surprisingly not as loud as i thought it would be... Full Blown quoted me at $200.00 for 3 hours of work... Alex exhaust did it in 50min (including stopping to take a phone call and talk to visiting family members) and only charged me $78.00...

Ill post videos as soon as i fugure out how to post them without allowing people to see ALL of my pictures on photobucket... Im photo retarded

I considered removing my CAT, but heard if you do your computer gets messed up. Another thing that deterred me from deleting my CAT was the smell people complain about once they removed it. Did you have to re-program your computer? Do you notice a smell now, especially while driving?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

What do you guys think of that motorized license plate holder mod? When the plate is showing, the holder hangs down 1.25". When the plate is hidden, the holder hangs down 1". Do you think I will scrap the holder going over bumps (i.e. entering/exiting my driveway) and break it, or do you think I will be fine?

If you want my opinion about the motorized plate holder as a whole... I think its a useless mod. Its my personal thing though. My opinion on how low it hangs is that if you drop 2" or more you will have a hard time getting over some curbs to get into driveways.

I considered removing my CAT, but heard if you do your computer gets messed up. Another thing that deterred me from deleting my CAT was the smell people complain about once they removed it. Did you have to re-program your computer? Do you notice a smell now, especially while driving?

There is no computer issue, there is a smell right now but thats because there is new pipe but it is not overwhelming, in fact, I can only smell anything when i get out of the car and it was not strong at all.

I heard about the smell thing too and i got to tell ya, I have no idea what those people are talking about. As far as the computer thing, maybe if i did PCD, and a new J-pipe then maybe there might be a ECU issue without the CAT.

I think im going to see about getting bigger pipe all the way back, maybe that will make it louder. Right now all that was done was removing the CAT, resonator and mid-muffler and replacing those peices with new pipe. Im not sure what size the stock pipe is but i believe its about 2" so maybe if i went with 2.5" (same size as Cat-back kits) pipe from the J-pipe to the Y it might get louder. Figure since ALEX exhaust charged me $78 bucks for all that, replacing all the pipe with one long pipe shouldnt be too expensive.

If somebody wants to make a trip to Alexandria to get their exhaust done I would be down but if no one wants to then I might see if a shop here in the city can get it done for me. Alex exhaust does great work for damn cheap and they are old school, they can make pretty much anything work.

Last edited by Evil_Pineapple; 04-25-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

You shouldn't be getting any codes thrown with a simple cat delete. There are no defoulers on the Cat, only the PCD's, but the PCD's made for the TL have the defoulers bungs on them.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Instructor

If you want my opinion about the motorized plate holder as a whole... I think its a useless mod. Its my personal thing though. My opinion on how low it hangs is that if you drop 2" or more you will have a hard time getting over some curbs to get into driveways.
I see your point. I am intrigued by the motorized plate holder because it allows me to have the look of no plate in the front (this would be especially nice for car shows), but also keep the cops off my back.
There is no computer issue, there is a smell right now but thats because there is new pipe but it is not overwhelming, in fact, I can only smell anything when i get out of the car and it was not strong at all.

I heard about the smell thing too and i got to tell ya, I have no idea what those people are talking about. As far as the computer thing, maybe if i did PCD, and a new J-pipe then maybe there might be a ECU issue without the CAT.

I think im going to see about getting bigger pipe all the way back, maybe that will make it louder. Right now all that was done was removing the CAT, resonator and mid-muffler and replacing those peices with new pipe. Im not sure what size the stock pipe is but i believe its about 2" so maybe if i went with 2.5" (same size as Cat-back kits) pipe from the J-pipe to the Y it might get louder. Figure since ALEX exhaust charged me $78 bucks for all that, replacing all the pipe with one long pipe shouldnt be too expensive.

If somebody wants to make a trip to Alexandria to get their exhaust done I would be down but if no one wants to then I might see if a shop here in the city can get it done for me. Alex exhaust does great work for damn cheap and they are old school, they can make pretty much anything work.
I believe my OE pipping was 2.5". I went with 3" mandrel bent pipping from the CAT back. My MagnaFlow mufflers have a 3" inlet and 4" outlet. I love the sound of my exhaust! My only complaint is that in higher RPMs, you mainly hear my CAI. I wish I could get the rumble I receive in lower RPMs when I am in higher RPMs. I am considering deleting my CAT in hopes of receiving more rumble in higher RPMs... I also love the way the mufflers fill out the bumper

Originally Posted by nate_0022
You shouldn't be getting any codes thrown with a simple cat delete. There are no defoulers on the Cat, only the PCD's, but the PCD's made for the TL have the defoulers bungs on them.
Does the same apply for the CL?
Old 04-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Advanced

Talking

Evil you just replaced the cat after the J-pipe that will not given you any odor. you get the odor when you remove the two cats coming out of the exhaust manifold. When you do the PCD"s thats when you get some odor. Like Nate mentioned the PCD'S have a two bongs one on the inlet and one on the outlet. The one on the outlet has a orifice which creates a diffential pressure between the two. Thus the ECU reads this difference in pressure and things the CAT is still there. This is why there is no adjustment required.

Last edited by Takata 18; 04-25-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

I see your point. I am intrigued by the motorized plate holder because it allows me to have the look of no plate in the front (this would be especially nice for car shows), but also keep the cops off my back.

I can see it being useful for car shows, If you are entering in car shows then I think it would be a cool Mod to get you more points or whatever...

I believe my OE pipping was 2.5". I went with 3" mandrel bent pipping from the CAT back. My MagnaFlow mufflers have a 3" inlet and 4" outlet. I love the sound of my exhaust! My only complaint is that in higher RPMs, you mainly hear my CAI. I wish I could get the rumble I receive in lower RPMs when I am in higher RPMs. I am considering deleting my CAT in hopes of receiving more rumble in higher RPMs... I also love the way the mufflers fill out the bumper

When I can actually hear my exhaust It sounds good... LOL. That's the issue. I did the same thing to my TL that I did to my Stratus and my Stratus was WAY louder but sounded fucking awesome. My exhaust does the same at higher RPM, The CAI is much louder. Since you have 3" pipe already you might get more sound from deleting the CAT. My mufflers have a 2.25" inlet, 2.5" through hole and a 4" tip. I think that the mufflers are sucking up A LOT of the sound since they are 5x8 body. I went to Midas and they said that they wont work on an exhaust that doesnt have a CAT so im going to have to go back to Alexandria to get the 2.5" pipe installed. I would go to full blown but they charge too much.

Like Nate mentioned the PCD'S have a two bongs one on the inlet and one on the outlet. The one on the outlet has a orifice which creates a diffential pressure between the two.

Jorge, I love it when you talk about "bongs" and "orifices" :theghey:
Old 04-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Advanced

Talking

Well what can I say what ever floats your boat
Old 04-26-2011, 12:19 AM
Boosted...

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Does the same apply for the CL?
No. Your Cat has your rear o2 in it. The 3rd gen Tl's don't monitor the lower cat just the one's off the heads. I'm not saying you can't delete yours, its just that you would need a defouler installed into your cat delete pipe.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Hey WBA, what is the stock size of the exhaust pipe?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Advanced

My stock looks like 2" going in to the mufflers and from the cat to the Y 2.5"
Old 04-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Boosted...

Hey WBA, what is the stock size of the exhaust pipe?
The oem exhaust is all in mm, but here is the closest measurements in inches. From the Pre-Cats 2", after merge on J-pipe 2.5", After the Main Cat 2.25" then splits to 2" to the mufflers.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Instructor

The oem exhaust is all in mm, but here is the closest measurements in inches. From the Pre-Cats 2", after merge on J-pipe 2.5", After the Main Cat 2.25" then splits to 2" to the mufflers.
It's nice having an Acura guru as a friend
Old 04-27-2011, 07:33 AM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Thanks man... That helps. I was thinking of getting the round body mufflers and selling these cause the 5x8 body has alot of "Acoustical absorbing" material as Magnaflow puts it...but, I like the way these mufflers look. Ill just do the 2.5" pipe from the J-pipe to the Y then sell one of my children and get a J-pipe...lol.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Talking

Thats A fine Pineapple.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Pineapple of DOOM!!!!

Thats A fine Pineapple.

Um.... what?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Advanced

Talking

Your Avatar dude. Hey on another note The Fast 5 comes out this Friday we should do the manly thing and see this Movie fullof almost naked hotties an fantastic cars and great stunts. There are a group of buddies that want to go see it and it's on IMax.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Thats A fine Pineapple.
Haha, now I get it!
Your Avatar dude. Hey on another note The Fast 5 comes out this Friday we should do the manly thing and see this Movie fullof almost naked hotties an fantastic cars and great stunts. There are a group of buddies that want to go see it and it's on IMax.
I am definitely going to see Fast Five this Friday! I wanted to go to the midnight screening (even considered going to MAP's Fast Five Movie VIP Viewing And Car Meet), but I have a test on Friday morning Thus, I am going to see it on IMAX (prolly at 7:25PM at the AMC Rosedale 14 & IMAX in Roseville)... Who wants to go?!

Last edited by Carmodifier; 04-27-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Boosted...

I am definitely going to see Fast Five this Friday! I wanted to go to the midnight screening (even considered going to MAP's Fast Five Movie VIP Viewing And Car Meet)

Yeah I'm planing on trying to see it this weekend as well, I was thinking of trying to go to the car show down at MAP and the midnight showing, but this old man has to go to work on Friday. I went to Tokyo Drift at midnight and was a wreck the next day at work.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:36 AM
Intermediate

Ill be at the map showing tonight. You have to register to get in. Sonebuddy help me figure out my light issue. Its posted in the 3g problems fixes

Quick Reply: Twin Cities Acuras