those parts get scanned and verified ahead of assembly

Secondly, how are they explaining failed eb mustang headgaskets then
hell.. seems like a rampant issue across the eb lineup
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (09-15-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Yeah...certainly there's probably more behind the scenes than we can speculate on. I think matt having his own Focus RS and getting paid/promo tune/parts doesn't help with his bias.

After all the focus rs reviews I seen, doesn't seem like THAT amazing of a car and dare i say a bit overrated in some circles.

Call me a ricer, but I'd seriously consider a CTR at this segment over a RS if it were me....

Last edited by nist7; 02-22-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:34 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Matt Farah can gobble a bag of dicks
I don't think a bigger douche has ever existed

what's bs to me whether they've done so or not
is the flow chart of denial on claims based on mods

also.. they can say innocent mistake
but assembly lines don't have varied parts bins
they have a dedicated line of parts for each platform

The 2.3L heads on the RS and Mustang are different and need different gaskets so the mixup has caused issues where the RS gets a Mustang gasket but not vice versa.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Marketing on the RS was brilliant
subaru dude what's his face said CTR was more enjoyable to drive, you sat lower and he said you feel more connected, whereas the RS sits real high, partially attributed to the recaros.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by charliemike

The 2.3L heads on the RS and Mustang are different and need different gaskets so the mixup has caused issues where the RS gets a Mustang gasket but not vice versa.
saying it was a mixup is total bs
and again even if it was, why are other ebs having the same issue?
Old 02-22-2018, 08:38 PM
Safety Car

Yeah the hype was HUGE for the RS, people were going bonkers over it. Part of the car world....generate marketing hype and sell things....

I really like savagegeese review on youtube and along with some others, I really think if you can get over the styling and the FWD of CTR....it's an incredible hot hatch.I love honda's aggressive and bold styling and going opposite of conservative on the CTR.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:41 PM
Safety Car

yeah that's a good point though......
Old 02-22-2018, 08:42 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
saying it was a mixup is total bs
I haven’t seen anything about the others. Just telling you what I saw regarding the issue about two weeks ago. At that time I hadn’t heard the trucks had issues. My 2015 EB Mustang was flawless.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:40 AM

Seems to be somewhat prevalent
I see similar threads across platforms, smokes like seafoam on start up, coolant going low
Hydrolock on F150, Mustand, and Fiestas

Here's a good compilation article for the RS on jalopnik
https://jalopnik.com/why-so-many-for...out-1820280550

I'm still a fan of the EB, but I'd be wary
Old 02-23-2018, 10:08 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,820 Likes on 3,844 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmako
So this applies to those that track their car as well? I know brands were a bit touchy when it came to vehicles that saw track time. Just curious if anyone has an answer to this.
This sounds like more of a dealer issue than a car issue. If you take the car to a track and bend a control arm by hitting something, then that's on you. But normal track driving on a car like the RS should be covered.

Originally Posted by nist7
Hmmm no idea.

AFAIK, a small % of the RS got installed the wrong head gaskets from a wrongly delivered parts bin and per Matt its something like 3%.

I assume harder stresses on the car like track days would cause more/faster parts wear...and if it was defective to begin with......not good....
It's a lot more than 3%. It was nearly every car for a period of time. The stack of head gaskets comes out of the same bin from the supplier so it's not like there would be a small handful mixed in. Either way, a TSB was issued along with a recall to fix it so good to go.

Matt Farah can gobble a bag of dicks
I don't think a bigger douche has ever existed

what's bs to me whether they've done so or not
is the flow chart of denial on claims based on mods

also.. they can say innocent mistake
but assembly lines don't have varied parts bins
they have a dedicated line of parts for each platform

I cannot in good faith disagree with the bolded part.

However, the rest of it can be chalked up to a simple mistake or mislabel. It happens all the time.

Also, other EB motors are built in different factories across the world... The 2.3L for the RS and the Mustang are built in the same factory though which makes it even more likely to have been a mistake. I know the 2.0L and the 2.3L motors are made in Spain and the V6 EB motors are made in Ohio.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:36 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
The 2018 is the last year and I think they all come with some limited edition package that has a front LSD as well as the back. It's only blue and red this time.

That sounds about right for the going rate for a RS these days. I had offers in that vicinity last summer when I was considering one. The ride is really pretty horrible though, just FYI.

I wouldn't worry about the engine issues, looks like they have it figured out now.
You felt the ride was pretty horrible? I can't imagine it being worse than my ST because the ST rides great. Too stiff for you? I'm pretty used to that anyway.

Yeah...certainly there's probably more behind the scenes than we can speculate on. I think matt having his own Focus RS and getting paid/promo tune/parts doesn't help with his bias.

After all the focus rs reviews I seen, doesn't seem like THAT amazing of a car and dare i say a bit overrated in some circles.

Call me a ricer, but I'd seriously consider a CTR at this segment over a RS if it were me....
I sat in the CTR at the Chicago Auto Show. While the exterior has grown on me more and more, I cannot in good faith live with that interior. I also sat in the RS at the show and although the interior is pretty similar to mine, I like the layout changes of some things such as the heated seat buttons, USB and power outlet location, cubby hole, climate control buttons, etc. The ST is an excellent daily driver for me and that just proves that the RS would be for me as well. And another big reason is that I don't want another FWD car after having two in a row now. It's time for something different.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:47 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
You felt the ride was pretty horrible? I can't imagine it being worse than my ST because the ST rides great. Too stiff for you? I'm pretty used to that anyway.

I sat in the CTR at the Chicago Auto Show. While the exterior has grown on me more and more, I cannot in good faith live with that interior. I also sat in the RS at the show and although the interior is pretty similar to mine, I like the layout changes of some things such as the heated seat buttons, USB and power outlet location, cubby hole, climate control buttons, etc. The ST is an excellent daily driver for me and that just proves that the RS would be for me as well. And another big reason is that I don't want another FWD car after having two in a row now. It's time for something different.
It is unnecessarily harsh in ride. The ST might as well be an 80's Caddy compared to the RS. Being that IL has terrible roads to begin with, I hope you have a good chiropractor on retainer. It gets even worse when you set the adjustable dampers to "sport" mode. I'm not sure if the Recaros in the ST are different than the RS but I didn't like those either. Just felt to claustrophobic in those seats and I can't imagine they'd be good for any amount of extended driving. I'm sure they're wonderful on a track but I don't use a track to get to work every day.

Also, the interior of the ST is fine for a $25k car but when you drop it in a $40k+ car, it's not so fine anymore. It's the same as Subaru continuing to have the balls to charge $40k+ for the STi. The CTR and Golf R both have interiors that are MILES ahead of both the RS and the STi.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:58 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Some photos from the Chicago Auto Show:

The Giulia was amazing to sit in. I was very impressed.

On the other hand, I did not like the interior on the Stinger at all. I was not impressed.

Edge ST was pretty nice. Don't really like the shape of the exhaust tips though.

Digital gauge cluster on the Golf R.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:02 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Also, the interior of the ST is fine for a $25k car but when you drop it in a $40k+ car, it's not so fine anymore. It's the same as Subaru continuing to have the balls to charge $40k+ for the STi. The CTR and Golf R both have interiors that are MILES ahead of both the RS and the STi.
I sat in all four in the auto show and I don't really personally agree that the CTR and Golf R are miles ahead. I wasn't really impressed with their interiors as well as the design and look.

I've taken the ST for a 7 hour road trip each way and I was extremely comfortable in my Recaros. They've always felt amazing and keep me in place very well. I can't imagine not having Recaros now.

I think we can just chalk it up to that fact that we are two very different people. Which is all good.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:19 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

TLX A-Spec

Can't get over the badge size. (MDX pictured)

Small details are nice.

Not a lot of room!

The following 2 users liked this post by RPhilMan1:
kurtatx (02-24-2018), Majofo (02-26-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

I cannot in good faith disagree with the bolded part.
Hmm, I've seen some One Takes...and seems like Matt Farah is an alright guy. Though I admit I don't know a TON about him. I heard he comes from money though. Any specific reasons why he's a d-bag?

Some photos from the Chicago Auto Show:

Dude, is that the Lexus LC structural blue? Where lexus uses some kind of crazy polymer paint thing that is actually not blue but somehow reflects blue when you see it.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:36 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
his personality. "one takes" are not fun to watch.
there are other youtube car personalities that are more fun to watch than Matt farrah, but even then...most of them are becoming very boring.

tv personalities have to have some kind of charisma... Matt just doesn't have that.
Hoovies garage is a bit better with the personality charm
Old 02-23-2018, 01:40 PM

the guy that does the re-enactments is good! his charm and video style are great!
Old 02-23-2018, 02:00 PM
Ex-OEM King

Hmm, I've seen some One Takes...and seems like Matt Farah is an alright guy. Though I admit I don't know a TON about him. I heard he comes from money though. Any specific reasons why he's a d-bag?
His videos are awful. He spends the entire time talking over the actual owners of the cars and never really getting into why a car is cool. Instead he blathers on about nothing while driving a canyon road.

The new guy is pretty good though.

I sat in all four in the auto show and I don't really personally agree that the CTR and Golf R are miles ahead. I wasn't really impressed with their interiors as well as the design and look.

I've taken the ST for a 7 hour road trip each way and I was extremely comfortable in my Recaros. They've always felt amazing and keep me in place very well. I can't imagine not having Recaros now.

I think we can just chalk it up to that fact that we are two very different people. Which is all good.
It's all good, if you like it and it's worth it to you then go for it. The RS is certainly a good car and it's by far the best performance car of the bunch. You can get great deals on them so if it works for you then go for it.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by justnspace
his personality. "one takes" are not fun to watch.
there are other youtube car personalities that are more fun to watch than Matt farrah, but even then...most of them are becoming very boring.

tv personalities have to have some kind of charisma... Matt just doesn't have that.
Hoovies garage is a bit better with the personality charm
Ah, I can see that. To me though I'm not into super charisma. I like doug demuro and savagegeese. I've not seen other youtubers that much and lot of them are very click baity and people like streetspeed717 seems like a huge d-bag, along with vehicle virgins. I'll have to check out hoovies garage though.

His videos are awful. He spends the entire time talking over the actual owners of the cars and never really getting into why a car is cool. Instead he blathers on about nothing while driving a canyon road.

The new guy is pretty good though.
AH yeah, those vids are quite short and can be very brief, and looks like those vids are done for now from matt. Just a diff format/style.

One youtuber who is hugely underrated is savagegeese....great in depth information without becoming just reading the spec sheet...like that other guy who is very popular i think called saabkyle or something.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:18 PM
Ex-OEM King

Ah, I can see that. To me though I'm not into super charisma. I like doug demuro and savagegeese. I've not seen other youtubers that much and lot of them are very click baity and people like streetspeed717 seems like a huge d-bag, along with vehicle virgins. I'll have to check out hoovies garage though.

AH yeah, those vids are quite short and can be very brief, and looks like those vids are done for now from matt. Just a diff format/style.

One youtuber who is hugely underrated is savagegeese....great in depth information without becoming just reading the spec sheet...like that other guy who is very popular i think called saabkyle or something.
Vehicle Virgins is an asshat. Shmee150 is pretty cool as he seems to be a nice (though very rich) guy. The best BY FAR though is Redline Reviews. I have yet to find one that isn't as well done without the douchey "I'm better than you" attitude that the other ones have.
nist7 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 03:25 PM
Safety Car

The best BY FAR though is Redline Reviews. I have yet to find one that isn't as well done without the douchey "I'm better than you" attitude that the other ones have.
Interesting. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the tip
Old 02-23-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
Dude, is that the Lexus LC structural blue? Where lexus uses some kind of crazy polymer paint thing that is actually not blue but somehow reflects blue when you see it.

The following 2 users liked this post by CLtotheTL32:
Costco (02-23-2018), nist7 (09-15-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 03:36 PM
Safety Car

^^^yeah I saw that just now. Absolutely incredible. And not surprised coming from one of the industry leaders like Lexus.

I can't imagine the repair/body shop costs to repair/repaint one of these thing. One thing is that it will definitely be a collectible car imo years down the road....
Old 02-24-2018, 11:11 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Interior wise, CTR=Golf R>STi>FoRS in my opinion. I've worked on all set up.

Focus interior is just terrible both design and material wise. The driving position is much higher than others in the segment which is a deal breaker for a lot of people. STi has a better design and incorporated some better material like Alcantara here and there but some crucial areas like steering wheel, fake cf pieces, and boots are very flimsy. Pretty disappointing for a $40k price tag.

Golf R interior is handsome just like its exterior. It can be perceived as boring but it is just right with everything. Golf R/GTi OEM leather is worlds better than Focus and STi OEM leather.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:38 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
I'm a fan of the CTR and Golf R interiors, but they are also both newer than the Focus. The Recaros in the ST are pretty nice and it's got a solid amount of space in the hatch, unlike the Civic.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:57 AM
I drive a Subata.

The Recaros in the ST looks pretty cool but they are very uncomfortable!! And even the lowest setting is still very high compare to other cars. The driving position kills on that car.

The hatch area of both the new Civic and Focus are pretty similar, Civic is actually bigger everywhere.

Focus RS
23.8 ft³, 44.8 ft³ with seat area

Civic Type R
25.7 ft³, 46.2 ft³ with seat area
Old 02-26-2018, 09:34 AM
Ex-OEM King

I've been looking at new cars for a while and had all but settled on a Golf R when the 2018's rolled out. Then I was cruising cars.com as we all do and noticed that off lease BMW's are pretty freaking cheap. You can snag a 428 GC for ~$30k with <30k on the clock. I'd probably spend a bit more to step up to the 335 or 435 because I want power but what are the general thoughts on these? Overall reliability better than it used to be? Do I still need to buy window regulators and valve cover gaskets from Costco in bulk? My old E46 was less reliable than a broke meth addict.

Other thoughts? Spending $10k less to get a still under warranty BMW vs a new Golf seems like an ok idea to me...
Old 02-26-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 5,289 Likes on 3,623 Posts
Vehicle Virgins is an asshat. Shmee150 is pretty cool as he seems to be a nice (though very rich) guy. The best BY FAR though is Redline Reviews. I have yet to find one that isn't as well done without the douchey "I'm better than you" attitude that the other ones have.
Agreed, Redline Reviews is pretty good. He stumbles a bit on wording, but is pretty thorough & without any douche-ness.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:43 AM

good reviews but a little sensitive :ghey:
Old 02-26-2018, 11:26 AM

ugh.. fell asleep.
I like them dumbass reviews by tall car guy
He stupid as hell, but he really faked it until he made it.

That subarudude.. he changed his name to be more marketable (matt moran sp?).. talk about :ghey:
I like his reviews, but damn, that squeal he makes when he gets excited :gheylaugh:

I like H2H.. because they always put it in the hands of Randy Pobst #mancrushmonday
Old 02-26-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
RE: Lexus Structural Blue.

Lexus is stupid. They "developed" that paint when all they needed to do is get a bunch of butterflies and crush them up.

So dumb.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:08 PM
I drive a Subata.

I've been looking at new cars for a while and had all but settled on a Golf R when the 2018's rolled out. Then I was cruising cars.com as we all do and noticed that off lease BMW's are pretty freaking cheap. You can snag a 428 GC for ~$30k with <30k on the clock. I'd probably spend a bit more to step up to the 335 or 435 because I want power but what are the general thoughts on these? Overall reliability better than it used to be? Do I still need to buy window regulators and valve cover gaskets from Costco in bulk? My old E46 was less reliable than a broke meth addict.

Other thoughts? Spending $10k less to get a still under warranty BMW vs a new Golf seems like an ok idea to me...
What is the car for? Just a nice daily?
Old 02-26-2018, 10:55 PM

335s are dirt cheap.
Nice bang for your buck.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:34 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
What is the car for? Just a nice daily?
Yeah. I want something that's more fun to drive on a daily basis than the Cherokee (which the wife will inherit) and it's now time to move on from the old Accord so makes for a good opportunity. I was absolutely set on the Golf R until I started looking at used off lease BMW prices and was surprised at the low cost.

Car would absolutely be a daily year round so I was looking for either a 335 or 435GC X drive. I'd prefer 6MT but the 8AT is so good that it's not that big of a deal. Keeping the S2000 for crushing corners and #becauseracecar so I just want daily fun and power.

335s are dirt cheap.
Nice bang for your buck.
Agreed but how's the reliability of a 2015 and later? Am I going to need a second mortgage to keep it on the road?
Old 02-27-2018, 09:53 AM

I'm not aware of a big design change. I'd hope it'd get more reliable as it matured.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:04 AM
I drive a Subata.

Ahhh then just go with $10k cheaper Bimmers.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:26 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
Ahhh then just go with $10k cheaper Bimmers.
What situation would you not go with the BMW?
Old 02-27-2018, 11:45 AM
I drive a Subata.

What situation would you not go with the BMW?
I'm only interested in M2/M3s. None of the regular models interest me since I will track the car at least 4-5 times a year if I get one. You never see any of 335s at the track, only a full of M3s. haha

If I were you, I would just get a GTi for a DD.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:47 AM

$17k C63 with the heads rebuilt!!
Majofo (02-27-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: General Car Talk Discussion Thread