Bring A Trailer / auction / other car ads of interest discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 09:44 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 954 Likes on 517 Posts
Was putzing around on cars.com and saw this for $18,700. Not bad.

2019 VW Jetta GLI 6 speed

Old 06-09-2020, 08:28 AM
Race Director

Received 3,266 Likes on 2,027 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmako
Was putzing around on cars.com and saw this for $18,700. Not bad.

2019 VW Jetta GLI 6 speed

One of my neighbors dailies one of these. It looks nice up-close and in-person, although I have no idea how it actually drives.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:10 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Like a longer wheelbase GTI, probably.

Looks like they reintroduced a multilink rear suspension, about time. If only Mazda would do the same with the 3.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (06-11-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 09:33 AM

Received 5,313 Likes on 3,643 Posts
IIRC, the newest GLI has the same drivetrain as the GTI.
mrmako (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 04:43 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Apparently Doug DeMuro started his own BAT type site called Cars & Bids and then put his 2012 E63 wagon up for sale on it and did a video on it.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:44 PM

pretty cool, people are hoping that it bridges the gap between craigslist/eBay and Bring a Trailer

ironically, after a reddit comment brought it up, I remember that back in the day BaT meant BaT cause you're buying something that may or may not be running. Now it's bring a trailer, because you might be getting a garage queen investment type of car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Costco:
charliemike (06-09-2020), civicdrivr (06-11-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 07:58 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I don’t know why but DeMuro bothers me and so anything he touches also bothers me.
The following 3 users liked this post by charliemike:
civicdrivr (06-11-2020), Curious3GTL (06-09-2020), nist7 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:00 PM

His DougScore is bullshit. He comes off as quirky too, but whatever. He can't be referenced as a legit auto journalist but cars are subjective things, after all.

He's entertaining though. I'm also weird like him, so I enjoy learning about the little unknown features cars have.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
I can't stand him. He gets way too much information wrong to be worth watching. He's also incredibility smug too.

I like the idea of an alternative to bring a trial but not one by Doug lol
Old 06-09-2020, 08:20 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

He seems OK. He dose a decent job.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Apparently Doug DeMuro started his own BAT type site called Cars & Bids and then put his 2012 E63 wagon up for sale on it and did a video on it.
Yeah saw that.

Makes sense.

Doug is starting to realize the limitation of YouTube and now that he has a sizeable audience, he needs to monetize his popularity and name recognition off of YouTube in order to continue growing without the excessive huge cut that YouTube takes. Imagine being with a business partner that basically takes 50% or more of what you make....though granted, access to billions of people as potential customers is very lucrative.

But once you start to grow in size, you realize how much Google/YT is making off of YOU than the other way around.

Originally Posted by Costco
pretty cool, people are hoping that it bridges the gap between craigslist/eBay and Bring a Trailer

ironically, after a reddit comment brought it up, I remember that back in the day BaT meant BaT cause you're buying something that may or may not be running. Now it's bring a trailer, because you might be getting a garage queen investment type of car.
Yeah, not sure how long surviving this niche is. Is there truly an enduring market for something between BaT and eBay? Sure BaT is for higher end niches now, but eBay seems to be able to cover rest of it.
It will come down to how well the site is run and its quality. Doug has the name recognition to get a few listing started...continued growth will not be easy to come by imo.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:36 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I dunno man, I would never buy a car off EBay these days.
Costco (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:54 PM
Safety Car

I don’t know why but DeMuro bothers me and so anything he touches also bothers me.
Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
I can't stand him. He gets way too much information wrong to be worth watching. He's also incredibility smug too.
I stopped watching Doug a long time ago.

Here's the basic reason why, IMO, he's not well liked to some people: his videos are NOT catered to car enthusiasts and it is done intentionally.

That might seem completely wrong on first read, but hear me out.

Doug started out doing his thing with very early version of quirks/features with his 360 and then a Hummer and probably other cars that actually were born out of an initial interest and love for cars (what young man doesn't). But the videos, even his very old ones, were never meant to truly cater to the enthusiasts or to bring about his firey passion for cars. He says in later videos that he couldn't afford his Ferrari 360 and basically only drove it to make YT videos and his parents had to help him out or something like that. He was trying to be an automotive journalist by writing to online publications (autotrader, jalpnik) and trying to use his videos to grow a possible future auto journalist career. (He says this in one of his behind the scenes videos I believe)

Basically he sucks as an auto journalist (or rather, a traditional auto journalist) and I think he knew it. His writing and his ability to weave technical details with emotional aspects of cars and driving weren't very good.

And what do you know his videos that showed interesting features of the cars that DOESN'T require any deep dive into technical know-how or a deep knowledge of how cars handle OR how to write/script very well to convey how a car drives are becoming very popular. He is having way more success on YT than on long-form writing media.

Why?

It's PRECISELY that those videos appeal to a much larger audience than the car nuts. Average people, and some of them have some mild interest in learning about some weird/odd/crazy expensive car (just like we all have some mild interest in hearing about some weird/odd/crazy expensive clothes/watch/home/computer/gun/stamp/pen/etc./etc.). And many many people drive cars daily so they can relate to the interior and see how odd that radio is compared to their own car. It's 15-30min long so perfect for a casual interesting but not too heavy watch over lunch or dinner if you just want to wind down.

Car nuts have MUCH more interest in how the suspension is setup, what's different about the engine internals with the updated version, and how it drives besides it being really really fast, why you would buy an 10 year old car vs just getting the new one. The average public have 0 interest in these extremely boring and mundane things.

The vast majority of society are not car enthusiasts. We live in an echo chamber where 50% of our book marks are car-related and we surround ourselves with like-minded people but when I talk to my wife and my work friends and many of my real life friends....VERY few have any deep deep interest in cars. And if they think you do, they might assume you're just a rich wannabe or trying to get a status symbol. My wife actually gets embarrassed if we rent a loud sports car while on vacation because others may view it as attention-whoring and that it will negatively viewed instead of being "cool."

Doug knows this. He knows that in order to grow his channel continuously he HAS to cater to the average public and not just car enthusiasts. Channels like Savagegeese will take forever to grow to 1M. Also other channels use drama and on-screen persona to supplement their auto center pieces.

And not to mention, he has gotten some stuff glaringly wrong...

He engages with people on reddit and his YT comments have become memes unto themselves. I once asked him he should improve his videography (his video-making is horrible, with terrible lighting) and he responded by saying he did by upgrading to a 4K capable iPhone. I pretty much gave up right then and there.

Another time I was debating with redditors on how Doug should also look into making videos on cars that could be of great interest to enthusiasts but may NOT do well with views. I suggested maybe he doesn't have to look at view count as the be-all end-all...I got huge flame back from redditors for even dare to question Almighty Doug's freedom and ability and right to make videos his way and that he is just trying to put food on the table for his family and that I was just jealous of his success.

And maybe this isn't fair but....he also mentioned how he was stuck at a corporate job working at Porsche where he had a 911, IIRC, as a company car, and he felt the dread of being stuck in a corporate-cubicle life and getting the keys to the 93rd iteration of the 911 as he nears his retirement. When I watched that and heard that I felt very judgemental against him and thought that how many people would KILL to be able to work for Porsche and have a Porsche as a company car and here this dude is complaining. Again, maybe this is not totally fair. Everyone has struggles in their own way I guess...

To end this way too long of a rant... IMO Doug is extremely boring, formulaic, non-edifying, and I do not derive any value from watching his videos. Some people do.

Last edited by nist7; 06-09-2020 at 08:59 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by nist7:
Costco (06-10-2020), Curious3GTL (06-10-2020), gatrhumpy (06-13-2020), Rick_TL-S (06-10-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by nist7
Doug knows this. He knows that in order to grow his channel continuously he HAS to cater to the average public and not just car enthusiasts. Channels like Savagegeese will take forever to grow to 1M. Also other channels use drama and on-screen persona to supplement their auto center pieces.

And maybe this isn't fair but....he also mentioned how he was stuck at a corporate job working at Porsche where he had a 911, IIRC, as a company car, and he felt the dread of being stuck in a corporate-cubicle life and getting the keys to the 93rd iteration of the 911 as he nears his retirement. When I watched that and heard that I felt very judgemental against him and thought that how many people would KILL to be able to work for Porsche and have a Porsche as a company car and here this dude is complaining. Again, maybe this is not totally fair. Everyone has struggles in their own way I guess...

To end this way too long of a rant... IMO Doug is extremely boring, formulaic, non-edifying, and I do not derive any value from watching his videos. Some people do.
Wow, I didn't know about that second quoted paragraph. That one is definitely a world's smallest violin moment.

One thing I always skip over is Doug's driving impressions. While there's something to be said about driving a huge variety of cars, it always looks like he's driving through some suburban neighborhoods or congested backroads. He'll do 2-3 hard, straight line pulls, and we never know if he actually puts cars through their paces.

I also agree with you that his cinematography is really amateur. When you see the effort put into videos by savagegeese (who is my favorite automotive YTer) or Donut Media, the contrast is amazing. I feel like Donut does a MUCH better job of appealing to every level of enthusiast, not only hardcore ones or just noobs.

In general the really big YT channels (1M+ subscribers) have a higher tendency to be disingenuous about car reviews. Understandably, they don't want to bite the hands that feed them. That's why I stopped following channels like subaruwrxfan (Matt Maran Motoring now) because those guys just seem to be impressed and complimentary about every car. Doug does this too. Still, he's entertaining to watch on your second screen while you work... not that I would know anything about that.

Basically spent my whole post agreeing with you, but wanted to throw in some caveats. My point is that Doug is kind of like McDonalds. Or maybe more like Taco Bell, as once in a while they have something unique. They're both everywhere. Nothing special, but consistent. I don't think I would have bothered to look for an in-depth tour of cars like the XJ220, Vector W8, or the 968... cars that had mystique when I was younger which I never really got to drive or otherwise experience tour myself. Taycan, Aston DBX, and the new LR Defender are a few more cars that popped up on my feed and it was from a familiar name, why not.

To go along with the Taco Bell analogy, pure coincidence but I had nachos bell grande it for dinner. Yeah, I know Taco Bell is trash. I'll still happily eat it. I have a ton of horrible to great, actual Mexican food around me and have sampled most of it. I've been to different Michelin star restaurants too.

I will still hit up a $1 taco truck if it's actually good, or drop by TB if they have something new. I would do unspeakable things if it meant they brought back the naked chicken chalupa permanently. I will also watch a Doug DeMuro video if he covers something like a Lotus Esprit V8.
nist7 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 10:58 PM

Yeah this is getting off-topic, but I'll throw in a name I don't like... Matt Farah. Tool. He covers regular peoples' builds, which vary greatly and can be really interesting. But there's something about him I can't stand. It's weird too, because I feel like his format on Smoking Tire is basically how your average car enthusiast would do a car show on YT if they had the chance.
nist7 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 11:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Oh boy, some of you would get a real kick out of Doug's online past before he made it onto YouTube. Back when he was becoming famous for car spotting. Changed his username & edited every one of his posts to hide it. Funniest one was his post about pouring water on hot brakes to cool them off, used to fib about having a wife and kids as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rick_TL-S:
charliemike (06-10-2020), nist7 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 08:37 AM
Safety Car

Yeah this is getting off-topic, but I'll throw in a name I don't like... Matt Farah. Tool. He covers regular peoples' builds, which vary greatly and can be really interesting. But there's something about him I can't stand. It's weird too, because I feel like his format on Smoking Tire is basically how your average car enthusiast would do a car show on YT if they had the chance.
Agreed.

Dude comes from money, IIRC, which in itself is not bad but he does also seem smug and self-righteous also.

I caught a few episodes of the Jay Leno's garage on CNBC (not the youtube show) and Farah has been on there a few times. One time he was on this car trivia thing paired with another guy and he basically was making fun of how little his partner knew about car/auto trivia and made it as if obscure trivia should be extremely common knowledge among anyone who cares about cars. Dude just came off like a real grade a D-bag.

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Oh boy, some of you would get a real kick out of Doug's online past before he made it onto YouTube. Back when he was becoming famous for car spotting. Changed his username & edited every one of his posts to hide it. Funniest one was his post about pouring water on hot brakes to cool them off, used to fib about having a wife and kids as well.
Oh god. What a miserable person.
The following 2 users liked this post by nist7:
Curious3GTL (06-10-2020), mrmako (06-11-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 08:58 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I never knew about DeMuro working at Porsche. What an asshole.
The following 2 users liked this post by charliemike:
Curious3GTL (06-10-2020), nist7 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 09:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
I stopped watching Doug a long time ago.

Here's the basic reason why, IMO, he's not well liked to some people: his videos are NOT catered to car enthusiasts and it is done intentionally.

That might seem completely wrong on first read, but hear me out.

Doug started out doing his thing with very early version of quirks/features with his 360 and then a Hummer and probably other cars that actually were born out of an initial interest and love for cars (what young man doesn't). But the videos, even his very old ones, were never meant to truly cater to the enthusiasts or to bring about his firey passion for cars. He says in later videos that he couldn't afford his Ferrari 360 and basically only drove it to make YT videos and his parents had to help him out or something like that. He was trying to be an automotive journalist by writing to online publications (autotrader, jalpnik) and trying to use his videos to grow a possible future auto journalist career. (He says this in one of his behind the scenes videos I believe)

Basically he sucks as an auto journalist (or rather, a traditional auto journalist) and I think he knew it. His writing and his ability to weave technical details with emotional aspects of cars and driving weren't very good.

And what do you know his videos that showed interesting features of the cars that DOESN'T require any deep dive into technical know-how or a deep knowledge of how cars handle OR how to write/script very well to convey how a car drives are becoming very popular. He is having way more success on YT than on long-form writing media.

Why?

It's PRECISELY that those videos appeal to a much larger audience than the car nuts. Average people, and some of them have some mild interest in learning about some weird/odd/crazy expensive car (just like we all have some mild interest in hearing about some weird/odd/crazy expensive clothes/watch/home/computer/gun/stamp/pen/etc./etc.). And many many people drive cars daily so they can relate to the interior and see how odd that radio is compared to their own car. It's 15-30min long so perfect for a casual interesting but not too heavy watch over lunch or dinner if you just want to wind down.

Car nuts have MUCH more interest in how the suspension is setup, what's different about the engine internals with the updated version, and how it drives besides it being really really fast, why you would buy an 10 year old car vs just getting the new one. The average public have 0 interest in these extremely boring and mundane things.

The vast majority of society are not car enthusiasts. We live in an echo chamber where 50% of our book marks are car-related and we surround ourselves with like-minded people but when I talk to my wife and my work friends and many of my real life friends....VERY few have any deep deep interest in cars. And if they think you do, they might assume you're just a rich wannabe or trying to get a status symbol. My wife actually gets embarrassed if we rent a loud sports car while on vacation because others may view it as attention-whoring and that it will negatively viewed instead of being "cool."

And not to mention, he has gotten some stuff glaringly wrong...

He engages with people on reddit and his YT comments have become memes unto themselves. I once asked him he should improve his videography (his video-making is horrible, with terrible lighting) and he responded by saying he did by upgrading to a 4K capable iPhone. I pretty much gave up right then and there.

Another time I was debating with redditors on how Doug should also look into making videos on cars that could be of great interest to enthusiasts but may NOT do well with views. I suggested maybe he doesn't have to look at view count as the be-all end-all...I got huge flame back from redditors for even dare to question Almighty Doug's freedom and ability and right to make videos his way and that he is just trying to put food on the table for his family and that I was just jealous of his success.

Sometime someone will ask me why I don't like Doug. Can I quote this? lol
nist7 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 09:57 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
Sometime someone will ask me why I don't like Doug. Can I quote this? lol
lol sure thing man.

Just some of my thoughts, if its worth any thing, but to me it kinda makes sense. I welcome any dissenting opinion or get to know any counter arguments.

And I don't mean to knock on people who do enjoy his videos...I can see how it can be useful for some people to watch over lunch break as a way to get away from the stress of real life...dude's definitely got it figured out though...living the life of many car guys I'm sure....

And I think it's a similar trap that lot of youtubers fall into....they have to balance between being "true" to their car passion vs making a living off of youtube...which is getting harder every year with ad revenues going down the tubes.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:23 AM
Safety Car

Wow, I didn't know about that second quoted paragraph. That one is definitely a world's smallest violin moment.

One thing I always skip over is Doug's driving impressions. While there's something to be said about driving a huge variety of cars, it always looks like he's driving through some suburban neighborhoods or congested backroads. He'll do 2-3 hard, straight line pulls, and we never know if he actually puts cars through their paces.

I also agree with you that his cinematography is really amateur. When you see the effort put into videos by savagegeese (who is my favorite automotive YTer) or Donut Media, the contrast is amazing. I feel like Donut does a MUCH better job of appealing to every level of enthusiast, not only hardcore ones or just noobs.

In general the really big YT channels (1M+ subscribers) have a higher tendency to be disingenuous about car reviews. Understandably, they don't want to bite the hands that feed them. That's why I stopped following channels like subaruwrxfan (Matt Maran Motoring now) because those guys just seem to be impressed and complimentary about every car. Doug does this too. Still, he's entertaining to watch on your second screen while you work... not that I would know anything about that.

Basically spent my whole post agreeing with you, but wanted to throw in some caveats. My point is that Doug is kind of like McDonalds. Or maybe more like Taco Bell, as once in a while they have something unique. They're both everywhere. Nothing special, but consistent. I don't think I would have bothered to look for an in-depth tour of cars like the XJ220, Vector W8, or the 968... cars that had mystique when I was younger which I never really got to drive or otherwise experience tour myself. Taycan, Aston DBX, and the new LR Defender are a few more cars that popped up on my feed and it was from a familiar name, why not.

To go along with the Taco Bell analogy, pure coincidence but I had nachos bell grande it for dinner. Yeah, I know Taco Bell is trash. I'll still happily eat it. I have a ton of horrible to great, actual Mexican food around me and have sampled most of it. I've been to different Michelin star restaurants too.

I will still hit up a $1 taco truck if it's actually good, or drop by TB if they have something new. I would do unspeakable things if it meant they brought back the naked chicken chalupa permanently. I will also watch a Doug DeMuro video if he covers something like a Lotus Esprit V8.
Yeah, his lack of knowledge of driving characteristics and the ability to convey that through writing/video-form is quite poor. And it shows his lack of experience and actual performance driving in cars. Hence a reason why he could not make it as a traditional auto journalist. ANd I completely agree with you on savagegees...two very different approach/style to car reviews/YouTubing and Mr. Goose is definitely my favorite car youtuber. I support him on patreon also.

And to go just slightly off-topic...the entire industry of direct peer-to-peer news/information (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, etc. etc.) that bypasses the traditional gate-keepers (companies hiring qualified candidates, years on the job experience to get to access a wide-audience, certifications and licensures, etc.) is both good and bad. It's good that we get new views and interesting voices/opinions that might've never reached a wide audience that can help elevate knowledge/understanding. On the other hand, it can also elevate people with low skill or horrible views or spread even false information that can gain traction just because of their popularity on certain platforms.

We might've never gotten or heard about people like Savagegees or Doug in the traditional media world in the past...and now with the advent of mass access to social media, we get to have people like both Savagegeese and Doug. Each cater to diff audience and viewership

But that's a great analogy....Doug is the fast food of car youtubers! Sometimes you just want that greasy burger/taco every once in a while.

One of the things I'd do if I won a big jackpot lottery is to buy a Lexus LFA and ship it directly to Savagegeese and let him have as much time as he wants with it with full support (gas, tires, all paid, etc.). He's said that if he could properly review a LFA, it would likely be the best video he'll have done. The effort he put into the LC500 is insane...and you can tell he truly has a passion and he keeps trying to grow and learn. Imagine if he had unfettered access to a LFA for review......

Last edited by nist7; 06-10-2020 at 10:26 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by nist7:
Costco (06-10-2020), Curious3GTL (06-10-2020), Rick_TL-S (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 10:50 AM

Yeah, his lack of knowledge of driving characteristics and the ability to convey that through writing/video-form is quite poor. And it shows his lack of experience and actual performance driving in cars. Hence a reason why he could not make it as a traditional auto journalist. ANd I completely agree with you on savagegees...two very different approach/style to car reviews/YouTubing and Mr. Goose is definitely my favorite car youtuber. I support him on patreon also.

And to go just slightly off-topic...the entire industry of direct peer-to-peer news/information (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, etc. etc.) that bypasses the traditional gate-keepers (companies hiring qualified candidates, years on the job experience to get to access a wide-audience, certifications and licensures, etc.) is both good and bad. It's good that we get new views and interesting voices/opinions that might've never reached a wide audience that can help elevate knowledge/understanding. On the other hand, it can also elevate people with low skill or horrible views or spread even false information that can gain traction just because of their popularity on certain platforms.

We might've never gotten or heard about people like Savagegees or Doug in the traditional media world in the past...and now with the advent of mass access to social media, we get to have people like both Savagegeese and Doug. Each cater to diff audience and viewership

But that's a great analogy....Doug is the fast food of car youtubers! Sometimes you just want that greasy burger/taco every once in a while.

One of the things I'd do if I won a big jackpot lottery is to buy a Lexus LFA and ship it directly to Savagegeese and let him have as much time as he wants with it with full support (gas, tires, all paid, etc.). He's said that if he could properly review a LFA, it would likely be the best video he'll have done. The effort he put into the LC500 is insane...and you can tell he truly has a passion and he keeps trying to grow and learn. Imagine if he had unfettered access to a LFA for review......
Shit, I didn't even know SG had a Patreon, I'm gonna support him too! Another thing I love about the dude, he doesn't even advertise, or do the whole "like, comment, subscribe" thing. Though I honestly don't mind that as long as its easily skipped, very brief, or cleverly worked in.

You're dead on about the passion. His name is also appropriate, I have never gotten the impression that he has held back on a criticism, nor has he been completely unfair. He is analytical in taking a realistic, devil's advocate approach to temper enthusiasts' expectations too.

The little snippets of SG driving many of the performance-oriented cars that he reviews on the track lend so much credibility to his reviews. Even then, I watched their review of a damn Ford Explorer, and the PT Cruiser for kicks

IDGAF. I have gushed about SG's channel before, and if any car enthusiast is not subscribed to him/them, they should be. Even a few years ago his videos were still great quality. The addition of Jack - who seems just as passionate and has grown into his own - is so welcome too.
nist7 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 11:00 AM
Safety Car

Shit, I didn't even know SG had a Patreon, I'm gonna support him too! Another thing I love about the dude, he doesn't even advertise, or do the whole "like, comment, subscribe" thing. Though I honestly don't mind that as long as its easily skipped, very brief, or cleverly worked in.

You're dead on about the passion. His name is also appropriate, I have never gotten the impression that he has held back on a criticism, nor has he been completely unfair. He is analytical in taking a realistic, devil's advocate approach to temper enthusiasts' expectations too.

The little snippets of SG driving many of the performance-oriented cars that he reviews on the track lend so much credibility to his reviews. Even then, I watched their review of a damn Ford Explorer, and the PT Cruiser for kicks

IDGAF. I have gushed about SG's channel before, and if any car enthusiast is not subscribed to him/them, they should be. Even a few years ago his videos were still great quality. The addition of Jack - who seems just as passionate and has grown into his own - is so welcome too.
Yup. He has said that due to YouTube adpocalypse, he's trying to still be viable and so does use patreon...which he only offers basically $5/mo and then $10/mo for "founders" which is limited and so he doesn't even beg people for that much money (like other channels that have ridiculous monthly patreon sub levels). He lets his work do the talking and I agree 100% that he doesn't do the whole begging for support because he honestly doesn't need to. He needs WAY more subscribers than he has so that's why lot of ppl who love him do support him directly. He's also said that in order to get started into performance driving that he recommends starting out at the local kart track and hone your skills there...which I thought is fantastic. People getting into huge power modern sports cars only can use a tiny fraction of what the car is capable of...and then when you just do straight line runs mostly...you get bored more easily and not appreciate the car as much.

Jack is a great addition...that dude is incredibly knowledgeable and a very good addition to the team and they don't always agree on the same thing either.
The biggest loss is Turbowski....the era is over after the intro scene to his In The Shoppe segment is no longer subtitled as "Without Turbowski" Maybe we'll have a future cameo one of these days....

Have you seen his Toto bidet toilet review? Hilarious. I also appreciate his humor. Some of the scenes in his reviews are absolute gold.

You know he's not in it just for the money. Honestly with his level of work and production, I wouldn't be surprised if a big media company/automotive company tries to pick him up or contract him for some kind of job.....but then again in many of his videos the level of quality are on par or even surpass some of the "professional" people....

Last edited by nist7; 06-10-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:13 AM

Yup. He has said that due to YouTube adpocalypse, he's trying to still be viable and so does use patreon...which he only offers basically $5/mo and then $10/mo for "founders" which is limited and so he doesn't even beg people for that much money (like other channels that have ridiculous monthly patreon sub levels). He lets his work do the talking and I agree 100% that he doesn't do the whole begging for support because he honestly doesn't need to. He needs WAY more subscribers than he has so that's why lot of ppl who love him do support him directly. He's also said that in order to get started into performance driving that he recommends starting out at the local kart track and hone your skills there...which I thought is fantastic. People getting into huge power modern sports cars only can use a tiny fraction of what the car is capable of...and then when you just do straight line runs mostly...you get bored more easily and not appreciate the car as much.

Jack is a great addition...that dude is incredibly knowledgeable and a very good addition to the team and they don't always agree on the same thing either.
The biggest loss is Turbowski....the era is over after the intro scene to his In The Shoppe segment is no longer subtitled as "Without Turbowski" Maybe we'll have a future cameo one of these days....

Have you seen his Toto bidet toilet review? Hilarious. I also appreciate his humor. Some of the scenes in his reviews are absolute gold.

You know he's not in it just for the money. Honestly with his level of work and production, I wouldn't be surprised if a big media company/automotive company tries to pick him up or contract him for some kind of job.....but then again in many of his videos the level of quality are on par or even surpass some of the "professional" people....
Nah, I haven't seen the Toto review yet, though I read on his instagram that he loves it. Had that video saved up for when I needed a good laugh. His deadpan humor gets to me

Hunh.... I noticed the absence of Turbowski but he hasn't always been there. That sucks. The Patreon "thanks" email was addressed as from "Scott and Mark", maybe he is doing a more hands-off approach? I hope he's still around. At least the under the hood, underbody segments are still there. I tried to donate at the higher tier, but it was sold out

I feel like SG has too much integrity than to fit into a mold of one of those non-toe stepper auto reviewers. I could be completely wrong, but I'm sure those bigger channels have to be restrained. Happens with seemingly every industry. SG's channel seems like a passion project, and I dunno if he would "sell out", though I wouldn't blame him. Can't predict or understand someone else's true thinking or situation, so who knows. I'm just glad he has given us the content he has.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:15 AM
Safety Car

To try to bring this back to somewhat in line with thread topic:

Here's a LFA Nurburgring Edition for sale in Pagani of Beverly Hills: https://www.paganibeverlyhills.com/u...731344f9ff.htm

No asking price listed. But if I won that lotto jackpot that was hit last night.......this will be in serious consideration and then sent to savagegeese for review.....

The following 4 users liked this post by nist7:
00TL-P3.2 (06-10-2020), CCColtsicehockey (06-10-2020), Costco (06-10-2020), nanxun (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 11:27 AM

An LFA would be on my shortlist, but definitely not with that interior
The following 3 users liked this post by 00TL-P3.2:
Costco (06-10-2020), nanxun (06-10-2020), nist7 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 12:56 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

It's crazy how dated that car looks already.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:58 PM
Safety Car

It's crazy how dated that car looks already.
Honestly, I think the issue is the headlight shape/design.

The back and rest of the it, to me, doesn't look bad or too dated much at all. I've never cared for that headlight shape though.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Fun fact: The man who originally spec'd that LFA got caught committing some big white collar crime. Believe he had a second LFA that like that, that reversed the interior colors.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:08 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,182 Likes on 4,827 Posts
SG was cool on the 86 forums; I think it was that car that got him started in video reviews. He's damn good at what he does.

Doug annoys me. Nist listed out some pretty good reasons, but I'll add - the dude does a shitty Seinfeld impression while walking around a car for 20 minutes, then shows his o-face for 15 seconds while going 1/4 throttle from 2-4k rpm. Wasn't he in marketing at Porsche?

Also that LFA is hideous but I'd still drive it
Old 06-11-2020, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
SG was cool on the 86 forums; I think it was that car that got him started in video reviews. He's damn good at what he does.

Doug annoys me. Nist listed out some pretty good reasons, but I'll add - the dude does a shitty Seinfeld impression while walking around a car for 20 minutes, then shows his o-face for 15 seconds while going 1/4 throttle from 2-4k rpm. Wasn't he in marketing at Porsche?

Also that LFA is hideous but I'd still drive it
idk why it never occurred to me, but what was SG's username? Was it on ft86club?

I think I might know which posts, but never made the connection. Did SG have an orange FR-S?
Old 06-11-2020, 03:32 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,182 Likes on 4,827 Posts
idk why it never occurred to me, but what was SG's username? Was it on ft86club?

I think I might know which posts, but never made the connection. Did SG have an orange FR-S?
Red - his name was Dezoris on there: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23534
The following 2 users liked this post by civicdrivr:
Costco (06-11-2020), nist7 (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 03:54 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,875 Likes on 3,881 Posts
Doug isn't a journalist, nor is he trying to be. He's just entertainment and he's quite successful at it. I don't take his driving impressions seriously but it's cool to see some of the weird quirks that these cars come with, especially the more rare and old ones.

My personal favorites right now are the straight pipes and throttle house. I'd imagine that if I were to start my own channel, it would be similar to these two.
The following 2 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
charliemike (06-11-2020), nist7 (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 08:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Doug isn't a journalist, nor is he trying to be. He's just entertainment and he's quite successful at it. I don't take his driving impressions seriously but it's cool to see some of the weird quirks that these cars come with, especially the more rare and old ones.

My personal favorites right now are the straight pipes and throttle house. I'd imagine that if I were to start my own channel, it would be similar to these two.
I love The Straight Pipes, great dudes and really good videography also.

My personal top 3 car youtubers: Savagegeese, Straight Pipes, Alex on Autos (really useful for actually buying a car....accurate and insightful facts presented very well). With smattering of random other videos thrown in here and there (donut media, etc.)

I've seen throttle house mentioned fairly frequently....maybe I'll have to look into branching out to some other channels more...
The following 2 users liked this post by nist7:
00TL-P3.2 (06-12-2020), charliemike (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 08:42 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Mercedes E400 Wagon for sale:

2018 Mercedes E400 4Matic

Old 06-12-2020, 06:26 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Is this site legit? I mean not that it isn’t a real site but that it’s not full of bullshit car dealers with wrecked cars?
Old 06-12-2020, 08:56 AM

That E400 is a bit bland looking, but that TTV6 is potent.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:20 AM
slobalt defender

Received 348 Likes on 185 Posts
This thing is weird

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-ford-ghia-via/

"No drivetrain is fitted"
Old 06-12-2020, 10:02 AM

^ And the steering isn't connected to the wheels.
And only the left side doors open. So, you'd have to climb over the console to get into the passenger-side seat(s).
Old 06-12-2020, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hockeyman
This thing is weird

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-ford-ghia-via/

"No drivetrain is fitted"
dat CD player. That probably would've been really cool in the early 90's

Quick Reply: Bring A Trailer / auction / other car ads of interest discussion thread