$45K for a used (potentially new) performance sedan...what would you look at?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,850 Likes on 2,588 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
I said it was something to keep in mind. Not a deciding factor. Sheesh, you sound so serious all the time.
Thats because she has to have her her say-so and her nose in everyone else's business.

If acurazine is a small town....she is the obnoxious neighbor with no life.
The following users liked this post:
Crazy Bimmer (06-17-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 05:55 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Now you have.
Im a magazine racer so anything i say does have a link associated to it.
Its pretty cool that the Genesis can be compared to cars like the Avalon but then on another review be compared to a Lexus GS.
Well, putting aside the fact that I've already seen that - I'm talking about actual comparison of the handling, etc. where the 2 are seen as being similar and not just a comparison of the vehicles themselves.

As the MT comparison stated, those 2 cars are quite diff.

Compare this...

And during aggressive cornering over uneven pavement, the Genesis tended to exhibit an unwanted kickback through the helm. Otherwise, we were all grins. The backseat, while not as cavernous as the Avalon's, was still spacious and comfy. Gas mileage, at 18/27 EPA and 21.0 observed, was downright respectable, especially in light of the sports-car acceleration and grip. Overall, the Genesis substantiated itself as more engaging than the Taurus, more fun than the Avalon, and more rewarding than both. As Mike Connor concluded: "The Hyundai is far and away the superior car here. When it comes to luxury, refinement, and dynamics, the Avalon and Taurus come across as wannabes; the Genesis, the real deal."

to this.

The Avalon's ride, too, is soft and serene, making this big Toy ideal for long hauls, whether to the airport or cross country.

Given its supple suspenders, the Avalon ranked behind the others in objective and subjective handling scores. Its skidpad (0.76 g) and figure-eight (27.7 sec at 0.61 g) performances trailed those of the Taurus and Genesis, and the same can be said of the Toyota on a curvy byway. "The limits are very low in the twisties," observes Loh. "Tires howl at the mere suggestion of understeer, followed by an abrupt nudge from the stability-control system. These elements conspire with noticeable body roll to make the Avalon a difficult, uninspiring car to drive briskly." The steering, feathery and great for cruising, is not well suited for hustling home over the mountain. "Steering is light and on-center is pretty solid, but there's not a lot of feel when arcing right and left," notes our Exec.

What kept the Toyota from taking top honors, other than its languid handling, were bland sheetmetal and a lack of personality.
In terms of handling/driving dynamics - I think most people would agree that the Genesis is more similar to the GS than Avalon, while conversely, the Azera is more similar to the Avalon than GS.

Last edited by YEH; 06-17-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
far better tire than the stock dunlop
For the record, the Dunlop SP are very good tires. I have a set on my car and love them. They are well rated on Tirerack as well. If something is not up to the task, blame the Hyundai not the tires.

Sure a 335i may be more fun in the twisties, but unless OP decides to go onto canyon roads or tracks often, he wont need a great handling car that has trade offs of luxurious features which he would want more often
Barking at the wrong tree; nobody suggested the OP a 335i, certainly not with 3 kids. Reread.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:21 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Saintor
For the record, the Dunlop SP are very good tires. I have a set on my car and love them. They are well rated on Tirerack as well. If something is not up to the task, blame the Hyundai not the tires.
Really?

All these Lancer owners don't seem to think so.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...tirePageLocQty=
Old 06-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by YEH
Really?

All these Lancer owners don't seem to think so.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...tirePageLocQty=
Why are you involving the 5000, a different tire ?

Try this one, the right one.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....re+%28H%26V%29

90% of the best and a tie gives it a shared spot for 3-4th rank in this class. Not bad.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:16 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Why are you involving the 5000, a different tire ?

Try this one, the right one.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....re+%28H%26V%29
I guess it never occurred to you why there are numerous Genesis sedan owners who reviewed the Dunlop SP Sport 5000M and none (from what I saw) who reviewed the SP Sport Signature. lol
Old 06-18-2011, 01:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts

Barking at the wrong tree; nobody suggested the OP a 335i, certainly not with 3 kids. Reread.
335, infiniti M, or any car you suggested to him, what i meant is that the genesis is fun for him, so just drop it about the genesis not being fun to drive. If it is for OP its good enough. You are just making more and more people hate you by doing so
Old 06-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by speedemon90
335, infiniti M, or any car you suggested to him, what i meant is that the genesis is fun for him, so just drop it about the genesis not being fun to drive. If it is for OP its good enough. You are just making more and more people hate you by doing so
Whatever you may think, polarizing debates are the most interesting. If somebody feels hurt by an opinion, that's really his problem, not mine. Not impressed by drama queens.

Originally Posted by YEH
I guess it never occurred to you why there are numerous Genesis sedan owners who reviewed the Dunlop SP Sport 5000M and none (from what I saw) who reviewed the SP Sport Signature. lol
That's correct. I was mislead by thread #249 that mentioned "Dunlop SP Sport". Marketing and confusing tires naming =
Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
So I got a call Saturday that a 2012 Genesis 3.8 V6 (oh well) was delivered to my local dealer. Took a ride out with my father-in-law (who's also looking for a car and checked it out. I love the new rear with the integrated exhaust tips.

They switched out all of the interior "plood" with a really nice piano black finish.
Power folding mirrors are a really nice touch especially with a narrow garage.
Didn't get to test the lane avoidance system.

With the bump in HP in the V6 it's almost a certainty the 4.6L engine will go bye-bye. The 3.8 has a ton of power. It's 333HP and 291lb of torque. But I still want the R-Spec with 429hp/376tq.

Great car but for the price, I still think the V8 is the way to go. You really don't sacrifice in fuel economy, 19/29 for the V6 and 16/25 for the 5.0L V8.

They still don't have a date on when the R-Specs are coming in.

Last edited by NSXNEXT; 06-19-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I'm interested to see what the real world MPG numbers look like for the 3.8 V6 vs. the 5.0 V8

Doesn't Hyundai have an 8AT available as well? Is it for the V8 only, or.... ? That V8 would be mighty smooth for cruising, I bet.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Costco
Doesn't Hyundai have an 8AT available as well? Is it for the V8 only, or.... ? That V8 would be mighty smooth for cruising, I bet.

8 speed tranny is in both the V6 and V8 Genesis.
I dropped the V6 into sportshift and confirmed. Gotta love the salesman who swore the 8-speed was only in the V8.
I will admit that sportshifting an 8-speed is a bit of a pain. You need to downshift to at least 5th to get into anything that's noticeable.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:41 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
That's awesome.. 8 speed tranny..

On a side note, some of the Hyundai salesmen are really.. dumb. When I was shopping for my MS3, I checked out genesis coupe 3.8 at a local Hyundai dealership. This one salesman didn't know jack crap about the car. I literally spent 20 mins explaining this and that to him, and he was like wow.. how do you know so well about these cars?.......

I think Hyundai needs to have its salesmen join Acurazine and spend couple hours everyday reading.

Anyway, so when is the Spec-R supposed to be released? Did Hyundai give out an estimated month?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JS + MS3

On a side note, some of the Hyundai salesmen are really.. dumb. When I was shopping for my MS3, I checked out genesis coupe 3.8 at a local Hyundai dealership. This one salesman didn't know jack crap about the car. I literally spent 20 mins explaining this and that to him, and he was like wow.. how do you know so well about these cars?.......

I think Hyundai needs to have its salesmen join Acurazine and spend couple hours everyday reading.

Anyway, so when is the Spec-R supposed to be released? Did Hyundai give out an estimated month?
I think you answered that question with your comment above. They are clueless. Our resident Hyundai expert Pure Adrenaline is keeping me in the loop. I'm hoping a month or two.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:48 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
I think you answered that question with your comment above. They are clueless. Our resident Hyundai expert Pure Adrenaline is keeping me in the loop. I'm hoping a month or two.

Pure Adrenaline = Win
Old 06-20-2011, 01:34 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

R-Specs are supposed to start trickling to dealerships (probably first to the Westcoast) late June.

The new OEM tires are the Michelin Energy Saver A/S (for 3.8 and 4.6).

Some First Drive reviews of the R-Spec.

Until Motor Trend can put a Genesis R-Spec through a comprehensive road test and our famous figure eight, the following impressions will have to serve. The R-Spec is certainly much stiffer in the corners and on road imperfections compared with the non-R, though it's not harsh. Its suspension tuning provides good body control for this big sedan, and could prove to be its ultimate fix.
Hyundai's North American chassis engineers tried, and they made good progress on the 2009 Genesis, though it still had little to offer even the most passive of enthusiasts. There's enough feel and feedback added to the '12 R-Spec to indicate this is a big luxury sedan that won't embarrass or frustrate drivers who occasionally encounter twisty mountain roads.
The best sign that Hyundai's North American engineers have made progress in breaking through home-market dynamic numbness comes from the electro-hydraulic power steering. In the R-Spec, the steering is moderately weighted and precise, with a nice, even feel and good feedback lock-to-lock, whereas the 4.6's is light and numb. Both the 4.6 and the V-6, the latter of which has hydraulically assisted power steering, have a dead spot at center that causes some sloppiness, especially when the nose gets light under acceleration.
Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1PqCcMMqM

Despite being saddled with over 4,000 lbs of weight, the R-Spec hauls itself down the road with little abandon. Coming out of a traffic circle, we gently applied the throttle to see what would happen, and were granted with a microsecond powerslide before the traction control put a stop to our fun. Beyond the traffic circle, there was little in the way of curves (save for the occasional high speed sweeper) for us to test the improved steering, springs and damping, but we noticed that all three felt fairly firm, especially more so than the last Genesis we drove a couple years ago. Hyundai has added more assist to the R-Spec’s steering, something that we definitely welcome, but that may not be looked upon favorably by other Genesis drivers, who tend to trade in cars like the Lexus ES350 and Honda Accord.
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...view-1572.html

As it stands now, the new Genesis represents a fantastic bargain over the high-level V-8 competition. We happen to think that the exterior revisions, especially the new front fascia and the aggressively cool nineteen-inch wheels, turn the car into something much better to look at. (We doubt the 2012 Genesis will see quite so much “anonymous styling” verbiage written as the last model did.) With a top-flight new powertrain, strong fuel economy numbers, and what might best be described as a “sensible” approach to luxury and technology features, this Genesis is worth checking out. Do not buy a Lexus GS before driving the Genesis R-Spec. Is that clear enough?

Of course the R-Spec will not hold the attention of those with enthusiast driver aspirations for very long, either. We think that’s okay, though we would like to encourage the company’s product planners and engineers—who’ve been consistently knocking the ball out of the park these days—to look hard at a full-on performance version of this car. Still, if you’re an open-minded kind of luxury shopper, the $46K it’ll take to get you into a car as complete as the Genesis R-Spec should make for a compelling argument. And don’t worry about those hot desert days of driving, either; we know the car is cool.
http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...enesis-r-spec/

What is it like to drive?
The first launch tells you there's more grunt from the Tau V8 than before, and acceleration is emphatic. Even more impressive is the passing power brought to bear when you swing out and punch it. Then, when it is being driven more sedately, the eight-speed transmission slips from one gear to the next with quick, smooth actions barely noticeable from the cabin.

The sport-tuned suspension features Sachs shocks with amplitude-sensing damping, higher-rate springs all around and a hollow rear antiroll bar. While this new complement of upgraded bits clearly pins the chassis down when the driver is hustling along, the higher-rate components do introduce some jittery ride motions we could live without.

All in all, though, the new R-Spec Genesis is a pretty serious high-performance tool from a company not much associated with heavy-metal sedans, and it's a convincing entry into that realm at a pretty reasonable price.

JS + XES (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks YEH
Old 06-20-2011, 02:53 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

You're welcome.

One more from C&D.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review
Old 06-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I think the R-Spec would be a fantastic car. Is Hyundai not taking deposits?

Will you be trying out some other cars in the months before the R-Specs hits lots?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Aman
I think the R-Spec would be a fantastic car. Is Hyundai not taking deposits?

Will you be trying out some other cars in the months before the R-Specs hits lots?
Nah. Drove the SHAWD TL and M56 a few weeks ago and though they are great vehicle, I just can't justify the price for what you get. The M56 was, IIRC, almost $75K for the same features. Ah sorry no thank you.

It's just time for a change. I am certainly not in a hurry. No dealer is taking deposits because they don't even have upcoming inventory for the V8s (R-Spec or not).
Old 06-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
I don't know if there is a war for more gears, but ZF also supplies Hyundai with 9-speed transmissions!

http://www.d55555.info/hyundai-i20tr...eed-automatic/
Old 06-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Senior Moderator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wl6dB319sA
Old 06-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
So I got a call Saturday that a 2012 Genesis 3.8 V6 (oh well) was delivered to my local dealer. Took a ride out with my father-in-law (who's also looking for a car and checked it out. I love the new rear with the integrated exhaust tips.

They switched out all of the interior "plood" with a really nice piano black finish.
Power folding mirrors are a really nice touch especially with a narrow garage.
Didn't get to test the lane avoidance system.

With the bump in HP in the V6 it's almost a certainty the 4.6L engine will go bye-bye. The 3.8 has a ton of power. It's 333HP and 291lb of torque. But I still want the R-Spec with 429hp/376tq.

Great car but for the price, I still think the V8 is the way to go. You really don't sacrifice in fuel economy, 19/29 for the V6 and 16/25 for the 5.0L V8.

They still don't have a date on when the R-Specs are coming in.
I need to head over to the dealer and takeout one of the new 2012's
Old 06-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Suzuka Master

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/21/2...-drive-review/

Autoblog just did a review on the R spec.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Autoblog says the rspec has the same steering rack as the base model. Thought that was changed?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Autoblog says the rspec has the same steering rack as the base model. Thought that was changed?
It was

Originally Posted by Motortrend
The best sign that Hyundai's North American engineers have made progress in breaking through home-market dynamic numbness comes from the electro-hydraulic power steering. In the R-Spec, the steering is moderately weighted and precise, with a nice, even feel and good feedback lock-to-lock, whereas the 4.6's is light and numb. Both the 4.6 and the V-6, the latter of which has hydraulically assisted power steering, have a dead spot at center that causes some sloppiness, especially when the nose gets light under acceleration.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Here is another good read on the genesis if you want. Its about the engine

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...50-r-spec.html
NSXNEXT (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by speedemon90
Here is another good read on the genesis if you want. Its about the engine

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...50-r-spec.html
Great article. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Great article, thanks for sharing.

I can't wait for you to get your car, NSXNEXT. I'm sure it's going to be a long coupla months of anticipation for you.
JS + XES (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM
I drive a Subata.

Thanks for that article.

That car looks stunning from the front imo.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Just wondering but can the 2012 talights and headlights fit in the 2011 models?
Old 06-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Just wondering but can the 2012 talights and headlights fit in the 2011 models?
Looks like they would

Old 06-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Great article, thanks for sharing.

I can't wait for you to get your car, NSXNEXT. I'm sure it's going to be a long coupla months of anticipation for you.
You and me both. I just fixed an annoying clunk on my 99TL. In the past year I've replaced:

transmission
motor mounts (front, rear, side) poly filled the new ones
power steering hardlines
brakes & rotors
lower ball joints
both axles
Coilovers bushings
Radius rod bushings
Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i regret getting rid of my tuned G8 GT. wish i could afford a GXP with a 6MT, the GXP G8 blows every other sedan out of the water in its price range, period.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:38 PM
I drive a Subata.

hmmmm
Old 06-24-2011, 05:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Waltah
i regret getting rid of my tuned G8 GT. wish i could afford a GXP with a 6MT, the GXP G8 blows every other sedan out of the water in its price range, period.
Yes. Yes, it does. G8 series.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:48 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,030 Likes on 3,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Waltah
You got rid of a G8 for a TL?
Old 06-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Yes. Yes, it does. G8 series.
Absolutely. But when you consider the ridiculous price people are trying to get on a 3 year used, discontinued car, it's just ridiculous.

http://usedcars.kbb.com/cars/cars-fo...trim-GXP/cpo-1

Mid $30s for that car with over 20-30K miles is just
Old 06-24-2011, 08:35 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,030 Likes on 3,874 Posts
Absolutely. But when you consider the ridiculous price people are trying to get on a 3 year used, discontinued car, it's just ridiculous.

http://usedcars.kbb.com/cars/cars-fo...trim-GXP/cpo-1

Mid $30s for that car with over 20-30K miles is just

Stupid people with the "got to have it" fever, drives this insanity. Kinda like the S2K now.

Any word on when the Tau 5.0 will arrive? Man I hope they put that motor in a coupe!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pttl

Stupid people with the "got to have it" fever, drives this insanity. Kinda like the S2K now.

Any word on when the Tau 5.0 will arrive? Man I hope they put that motor in a coupe!
We're hearing R-Specs will start rolling out to the Northeast in July.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
We're hearing R-Specs will start rolling out to the Northeast in July.
I have to emphasize "with luck".

The same plant that produces the Genesis sedan also makes the Equus. They are both selling well, so they are struggling.

Quick Reply: $45K for a used (potentially new) performance sedan...what would you look at?