$45K for a used (potentially new) performance sedan...what would you look at?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + MS3
go to the dealership and tell them to get one for you?
Wow, why didn't I think of that?

Come on man. I'm in touch with all of the local dealers every few weeks and the issue is they just don't have an ETA on the R-Spec. Some dealers down South "claim" they are getting them in but other than a listing on their website. there is no car.

My connection down in Alabama is keeping me informed. I'm sure he'll probably know before any of the dealers up here do.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
I can only imagine that this thread is the equivalent of the last month of pregnancy. Get it over with.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Then we'll meet up somewhere in PA/OH and take the exact same shot we did in LA only standing next to our R-Specs and send it to the AHM.
That would be cool! Im down for a road trip.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Just tell PA to get you one as it comes off the lot. Tell him to put a sold sign on it and send it to your dealer.

Do they have a program where you can see your car being built and pick it up at the factory like the vette
Old 07-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Just tell PA to get you one as it comes off the lot. Tell him to put a sold sign on it and send it to your dealer.

Do they have a program where you can see your car being built and pick it up at the factory like the vette
In the words of Jimmy Buffett...

I'd love to get <strike>you</strike> {an R-Spec}
On a slow boat <strike>to China</strike> {from Korea}
All to myself alone
A twist in the rudder
And a rip in the sails
Driftin' and dreamin'
Honey throw the compass over the rail

Last edited by NSXNEXT; 07-20-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Wow, why didn't I think of that?

Come on man. I'm in touch with all of the local dealers every few weeks and the issue is they just don't have an ETA on the R-Spec. Some dealers down South "claim" they are getting them in but other than a listing on their website. there is no car.

My connection down in Alabama is keeping me informed. I'm sure he'll probably know before any of the dealers up here do.
Sorry, kicked in yo

Old 07-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Sorry, kicked in yo

No worries. Sad part is I'll probably know more about upcoming inventory than the dealers do which may end up being a good thing.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM
I drive a Subata.

I probably missed it, but how was your experience at Hyundai dealership?

Because when I was shopping for my car almost 2 years ago, I visited my local Hyundai dealership to check out the GenCoupe 3.8. The dealership experience was so bad that I actually had to crossed out the car off my shopping list.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I can only imagine that this thread is the equivalent of the last month of pregnancy. Get it over with.
Trust me Ravi I AM READY!!!

Hard to buy a car that isn't available.

Last edited by NSXNEXT; 07-20-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Senior Moderator

I probably missed it, but how was your experience at Hyundai dealership?

Because when I was shopping for my car almost 2 years ago, I visited my local Hyundai dealership to check out the GenCoupe 3.8. The dealership experience was so bad that I actually had to crossed out the car off my shopping list.
It went very well. First time I purposely brought the wife and 3 kids so I would have an easy out when they started the hard sell.

The salesman wasn't as knowledgeable as I had hoped but he was cool. Let me beat on the 2011 4.6 a little.

Went back a while later and test drove the 2012 3.8 but I told him numerous times, I was looking for the 5.0. He said no worries and take this for a spin.

Very low pressure salesman.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:09 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Yup, the Hyundai dealership experience is a downside to buying and owning/maintaining a car like the Genesis sedan / Equis.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:19 PM

Received 5,913 Likes on 2,914 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Yup, the Hyundai dealership experience is a downside to buying and owning/maintaining a car like the Genesis sedan / Equis.
Honestly, I think Hyundai needs to spin off "Genesis" as its own brand. They have three cars they could put into the brand (which is more than what Acura had when they started out). They could then upgrade the dealership experience without eating into their margins by also selling a bunch of stripped compact Hyundai models. Plus, it would have the added benefit of no longer having the brand dragged down (somewhat) by the Hyundai name. These are all drivers for the Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, and Toyota/Lexus approach. Given Hyundai's proclivity for well executed imitation of the market trail blazers, it wouldn't surprise me if they went this route in the future.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Cant order one to your specs now or just plan on picking up whatever they get in?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
And you would know this how? Not all dealers are the same. My dad had the bad experience you are saying is a downside at our local BMW/Mercedes dealer. His Hyundai experience on the other hand was beyond top notch when he bought his Genesis. There wasnt one available in the color option he was looking for and they bent over backwards to find him one, get it transported and even though it was more than he was willing to pay (option wise) they marked it down to the model price he was.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Cant order one to your specs now or just plan on picking up whatever they get in?
Other than the high performance tires which I don't want, there are no options on the 2 V8 models.

Just waiting for one to show up on the arriving inventory list at any of the local dealers.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ttribe
Honestly, I think Hyundai needs to spin off "Genesis" as its own brand. They have three cars they could put into the brand (which is more than what Acura had when they started out). They could then upgrade the dealership experience without eating into their margins by also selling a bunch of stripped compact Hyundai models. Plus, it would have the added benefit of no longer having the brand dragged down (somewhat) by the Hyundai name. These are all drivers for the Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, and Toyota/Lexus approach. Given Hyundai's proclivity for well executed imitation of the market trail blazers, it wouldn't surprise me if they went this route in the future.
The reason Hyundai can offer such a well-optioned vehicle for such a reasonable price is because they have chosen NOT to go that route. I commend them on that move. Once they go the separate brand with separate dealerships, watch the price skyrocket. How could it not? They are offering a ton of options only found on car $10k, $20K and more. Hell the fully-optioned TL SHAWD even with a nice discount from Acura was literally within $150 of the R-Spec pricing. Sorry, I'll take RWD 429hp with ALL the bells and whistles over the brand.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 5,913 Likes on 2,914 Posts
The reason Hyundai can offer such a well-optioned vehicle for such a reasonable price is because they have chosen NOT to go that route. I commend them on that move. Once they go the separate brand with separate dealerships, watch the price skyrocket. How could it not? They are offering a ton of options only found on car $10k, $20K and more. Hell the fully-optioned TL SHAWD even with a nice discount from Acura was literally within $150 of the R-Spec pricing. Sorry, I'll take RWD 429hp with ALL the bells and whistles over the brand.
Don't get me wrong, I think they're offering a great deal on these cars, no doubt about it. I think buying one is a a good idea as well. However, in terms of Hyundai's best options in the future, they have a ceiling currently on the amount of profit they'll be able to extract from each of the Genesis/Equus models and that cap is in place because of the Hyundai branding. It's just an unfortunate market reality. They've managed to move the Hyundai brand far more upscale than I, personally, ever thought they could. I just don't know how much room is left in that move and whether they can really afford to leave the proverbial "money on the table" when they could conceivably move into the Asian Lux market with a big bang and make some real noise. As it is, the Genesis/Equus line is likely to be on the fringe of that market.

All that said, I could be way off base and they could entirely wipe out a weak brand like Acura with this approach. It just remains to be seen.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:12 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to suggest an RL, SH-AWD, 2010. There happens to be one of them left at my local dealer and it is a sweet looking car that drives nice (a friend has identical) and has far better "drive feel" than other luxury type fuller size cars. The Acura SUVs don't do great with mileage so that seems like a deal breaker for you. I will say though, even though they don't have great power, they are pretty nimble...
Old 07-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ginamber
I would like to suggest an RL, SH-AWD, 2010. There happens to be one of them left at my local dealer and it is a sweet looking car that drives nice (a friend has identical) and has far better "drive feel" than other luxury type fuller size cars. The Acura SUVs don't do great with mileage so that seems like a deal breaker for you. I will say though, even though they don't have great power, they are pretty nimble...
Welcome to the party. Sadly the RL is probably last on my list. It's a boring, overpriced, FWD, V6 dud. Drove one out at the party in LA and it put me to sleep.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Senior Moderator

4.6 V8s are as far north as MD but still no 5 liters anywhere in the country. I'll be at the beach next week I'll check the cargo ships passing by
Old 07-21-2011, 12:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
4.6 V8s are as far north as MD but still no 5 liters anywhere in the country. I'll be at the beach next week I'll check the cargo ships passing by
Old 07-21-2011, 07:55 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm seriously considering picking up a pre-owned G8 GXP. Local Chevy dealer that I do work for is willing to let one go for 24k. I has 13,000 miles on it. I'm so tempted right now.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Neil -

Yeah, I'm seeing a whoooooole bunch of 3.8s but no 5.0 in your region yet, Neil. Sorry. It's just a waiting game at this point.

The moment I see a silver 5.0 in the database (remember, not necessarily in the dealer inventory, but the Circle database) in your area, I will let you know and send you the certificate.

Jesal -

Hyundai does not take orders from customers or dealers. It's just how the system is set up. You have to rely on dealer trade and luck of the draw to get the exact car you want. But the manufacturer also understands this and cranks out a variety of the trim levels.

Kris -

As for marking one as sold, Neil is just not that lucky. If he were in the central or southern region, I can do exactly that very easily. It would be delivered to a dealer of his choice and marked as not for sale to anybody else. Unfortunately, I haven't whored myself out as much in the eastern region. I'm actually trying to help another member out in NY right now.

Last edited by Pure Adrenaline; 07-21-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:43 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,030 Likes on 3,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Unfortunately, I haven't whored myself out as much in the eastern region. I'm actually trying to help another member out in NY right now.
Any significant changes in the future of the Gen Coupe? 5.0 going in?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by pttl
Any significant changes in the future of the Gen Coupe? 5.0 going in?
Nope, no 5.0 on this generation or the 4.6 for that matter.

Do expect a facelift and a bunch of mechnical upgrades on the 2013 model.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:05 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,030 Likes on 3,874 Posts
Nope, no 5.0 on this generation or the 4.6 for that matter.

Do expect a facelift and a bunch of mechnical upgrades on the 2013 model.

When is the next gen. coming?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

As for marking one as sold, Neil is just not that lucky. If he were in the central or southern region, I can do exactly that very easily. It would be delivered to a dealer of his choice and marked as not for sale to anybody else. Unfortunately, I haven't whored myself out as much in the eastern region. I'm actually trying to help another member out in NY right now.

Platinum Grey Metallic is the color I'm looking for.

Define Central or Southern region? Hell I'd go on a roadtrip to pick one up.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Trust me Ravi I AM READY!!!

Hard to buy a car that isn't available.
I hear that.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by pttl

When is the next gen. coming?
You mean like a whole new generation? Unknown. I've only seen the facelift prototype. Haven't heard or seen anything on the next gen, though I'm sure deep within the walls in Namyang, Korea, they are working on it now.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Dragging knees in

Platinum Grey Metallic is the color I'm looking for.

Define Central or Southern region? Hell I'd go on a roadtrip to pick one up.
LOL, yeah, that's what I meant. It's silver enough.

Southern covers out to Georgia/about there. Central covers out to like Ohio.

I've got a great relationship with those two. In fact, my Coupe had just gotten off a ship at the Savanna port, and I called Southern distribution in Texas to put my name on it and ship it to AL. Did the same for the wifey's YF.

Come on down to ATL to hang out with the southern boys and pick up the car. We can hit up the loop north of Atlanta or go to the Tail of the Dragon.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:24 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,116 Likes on 2,555 Posts
Originally Posted by Wild_Will
Interior space is decent i dont have exact mesaurments on hand and like i mentioned with the now cheap reflash the passing power is there. I was just putting it out there that's all i myself would want something higher on the luxury scale for the money he mentioned if it came down to it.

Your correct the rear seat room is most likely not as spacious as some of the other cars mentioned. Ive just seen it become so popular the past few years for all it offers so i just wanted to bring it to his attention.
I was curious since my parents just got a 2012 Civic, so I compared a Genesis to a Civic Sedan. Not as much difference as one would think. The rear seat room in a new Civic is quite amazing considering the size and weight of the vehicle.

The performance, luxury and features are not compatible with a Genesis but a Civic rear seat is big enough for two normal height adults and probably three children.

Oh and welcome to the forums

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=101384848|sedan&veh2=101387209|sedan&show=0| 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8&comparatorId=3139270

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-21-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Genesis seems like a solid pick. The only question mark is the resale value at the end of the day. I suppose NSXNEXT is gonna drive this thing into the ground like the 2nd gen TL ... and Hyundai has picked up its game with respect to reliability the past 10 years.

My only thing is what a Canadian reporter said about the car:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2097593/

Not sure if I'd go the V8 route. Perhaps the (lighter) V6 with some suspension mods might be the better choice. I'm sure there would be a way to get the R-spec suspension in the V6. I don't think there will be much aftermarket support for such a vehicle.

Please update us on what happens in the end.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I was curious since my parents just got a 2012 Civic, so I compared a Genesis to a Civic Sedan. Not as much difference as one would think. The rear seat room in a new Civic is quite amazing considering the size and weight of the vehicle.

The performance, luxury and features are not compatible with a Genesis but a Civic rear seat is big enough for two normal height adults and probably three children.

Oh and welcome to the forums

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=101384848|sedan&veh2=101387209|sedan&show=0| 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8&comparatorId=3139270
Why does everyone keep trying to compare the Genesis to a Civic? I AM NOT LOOKING AT A CIVIC!!!!

I was curious since my parents just got a 2012 Civic, so I compared a Genesis to a Civic Sedan. Not as much difference as one would think.
Yeah not much

5.0-liter GDI DOHC V8 with 429HP
19-inch Premium Machined Finish alloy wheels with P235/45R19 tires
SACHS® Amplitude Selective Damping (ASD) shock absorbers
Proximity key with push-button start
Dual automatic temperature control
Integrated memory system (IMS)
Rain-sensing wipers with auto defogger windshield
Power-folding outside mirrors
Lexicon® 17-speaker 7.1 Discrete audio system w/HD Radio®
Ultimate Navigation system with8-inch display
Rearview camera
Six-disc DVD changer
Driver Information System (DIS) with multimedia controller
Bluetooth® hands-free phone system with integrated display
Smart cruise control
Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS)
TFT LCD Cluster Display
Electronic parking brake with automatic vehicle hold
HID Xenon, adaptive (auto-cornering) headlights
Ultra-premium leather seating surfaces
Front and rear parking assistance system
Cooled driver seat
Heated Rear Seats
Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS)
Electrochromic auto-dimming outside mirrors
Illuminated door sill plates
Old 07-21-2011, 02:05 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,116 Likes on 2,555 Posts
"The performance, luxury and features are not compatible with a Genesis but a Civic rear seat is big enough for two normal height adults and probably three children."

Hence the reason I originally wrote above, if you read the entire post and the original post I quoted we were comparing the interior size of the vehicles and not the features/performance/luxury. Try reading the post and context next time.

Why does everyone keep trying to compare the Genesis to a Civic? I AM NOT LOOKING AT A CIVIC!!!!

Yeah not much

5.0-liter GDI DOHC V8 with 429HP
19-inch Premium Machined Finish alloy wheels with P235/45R19 tires
SACHS® Amplitude Selective Damping (ASD) shock absorbers
Proximity key with push-button start
Dual automatic temperature control
Integrated memory system (IMS)
Rain-sensing wipers with auto defogger windshield
Power-folding outside mirrors
Lexicon® 17-speaker 7.1 Discrete audio system w/HD Radio®
Ultimate Navigation system with8-inch display
Rearview camera
Six-disc DVD changer
Driver Information System (DIS) with multimedia controller
Bluetooth® hands-free phone system with integrated display
Smart cruise control
Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS)
TFT LCD Cluster Display
Electronic parking brake with automatic vehicle hold
HID Xenon, adaptive (auto-cornering) headlights
Ultra-premium leather seating surfaces
Front and rear parking assistance system
Cooled driver seat
Heated Rear Seats
Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS)
Electrochromic auto-dimming outside mirrors
Illuminated door sill plates

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-21-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Pure Adrenaline,

ATL might be too much for a road trip, but depending on where in OH I would certainly consider flying out and driving back.

Is it anywhere in OH? Akron or Canton would be a manageable morning flight, drive back in a day.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Dragging knees in

Pure Adrenaline,

ATL might be too much for a road trip, but depending on where in OH I would certainly consider flying out and driving back.

Is it anywhere in OH? Akron or Canton would be a manageable morning flight, drive back in a day.
You've got PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

"The performance, luxury and features are not compatible with a Genesis but a Civic rear seat is big enough for two normal height adults and probably three children."
Having family members with BOTH i can tell you that in NO way is the rear seat anywhere near the size of the genesis, nor could it fit 3 children 2 of which in car seats where the kids wouldnt be cramped and complaining. Even for "normal" adults the rear of the civic is cramped compared to the Genesis and not a place most would want to be for any bit more than a short time in comparison.

Im 6'5 and i fit better in the back seat of the Genesis than i do the front of my TL (other than out right leg room)
Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Kris -

Dont worry, someday hopefully sooner than later ill be hitting you up
Old 07-22-2011, 11:23 AM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by NJ SHAWD

Quick Reply: $45K for a used (potentially new) performance sedan...what would you look at?