Acura: TSX News

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMQ
Based on the TOV interior photos of the Euro Accord, my complaint about the interior: this is buttons heaven. tons on the steering wheel, dash, and arm rest. also gray plastic heaven. I might in the minority here, but I like wood - its color and look really breaks up the normally boring automotive interior. The seats look like they would be pretty nice.

Powertrain: well, that's what we expected. Hopefully there will be a type-S with the turbo? I think the enthusiasts looking for more power would look elsewhere. The ones satisfied with the current TSX can stay if they can stand the bucktooth grille.

I've already gone to the BMW side. Of course, when a minivan is needed, I'll still have to crawl into Honda's minivan. But I might test drive VW's version.
VW's van is just a rebadged chrysler. you'll be much better off in a Odyssey or sienna.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dougler
Here's the teaser pics from edmunds, seems they broke the embargo again.

I think it looks alright, shoulda went with the MDX grille, but as someone else said this is not a deal breaker.
I dont like it. Lacks the originality and deftness of the of the original CL9 design. They sort of pulled a G37 here and followed up a smash hit with a so-so effort.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:05 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by gilboman
VW's van is just a rebadged chrysler. you'll be much better off in a Odyssey or sienna.

And he returns...

No comments about the new TSX Gilbo?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:35 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by TMQ
The Euro Accord looks much better. Acura is suddenly borrowing the design language of the current Civic and previous gen Accord. What the heck is going on?

Honda/Acura = SNAFU
Old 02-11-2008, 03:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Honda/Acura = SNAFU

While I agree for the most part. Lets not forget that the current TSX is/was a strong seller for almost 5 years. There is clearly a market for this car. The styling is close enough to the 04-08 that it shouldn't turn many away.

What they desperately need is a powerful AWD Type S model.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:02 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
While I agree for the most part. Lets not forget that the current TSX is/was a strong seller for almost 5 years. There is clearly a market for this car. The styling is close enough to the 04-08 that it shouldn't turn many away.

What they desperately need is a powerful AWD Type S model.
No disagreement on the current TSX. It fit it's super-entry "lux" level well.
In present day it is lacking.

So, Honda/Acura gives us this TSX. Piss poor wheels, love-it or hate-it grille, interior with more tiny buttons than my keyboard, and a if not flat-out poor powertrain.

I don't see how this advances Acura. It leaves them where they were 5 years ago.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
All true. it's good for what is is. But I don't see much 'advancing' going on here
Old 02-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by The Dougler
I'm so frustrated, I keep checking back on these threads and become more and more angry.

Can we just add a sub forum for Audi and BMW already?
I second adding a sub forum, also include a section for Lexus, Infiniti, Porsche, and VW too.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I think the upcoming 2nd gen TSX is definitely an evolutionary change, not revolutionary. Why no change in power train, etc? Simple economics ... people like the TSX right now, why not reap the rewards of work from a few years ago ... make big profits, and call it a day? Honda / Acura is not *that* far behind the competitors in features / amenities ... just market it well (with the money saved in R&D) ... and make bank.

I see where corporate is coming from. Too bad the loyalists are fighting back and spending their hard earned dollars to the competition.

In the long run, the big wigs better not let the bean counters make all the necessary decisions. I mean, to publicly say you want to go after Aston Martin and other premiere marques with the RL (and this TSX) ... are you for real? Save the spin for more gullible people.

----

Bottomline: I would still tell my friends to look at a TSX, but not go all gung-ho and encourage them to buy it like before.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Calm down people. This isn’t the all new TL. If it was then we’d have a problem. What did you guys expect from the TSX? It’s the most entry-level Acura. This car looks like a step up. I just wish Acura would put their best foot forward when they debut their cars. Why not debut TSX Type-S (if it exists) instead a base model TSX. That would start a buzz.

I think Acura is far from dead because as long as their cars are reliable and have good resale value people will buy them. They may loose the enthusiast, but not the average luxury consumer.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,945 Likes on 14,060 Posts
Post 2009 Honda Accord for Europe Unveiled

Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

The All-New Honda Accord Euro

Honda announced the all-new Accord for Europe. Aimed squarely at challenging established premium contenders in the D-segment, Honda’s all-new Accord saloon and Tourer offer sporty styling, greater refinement and a unique package of safety systems, together with excellent dynamic capabilities. Strong environmental credentials in the form of an all Euro 5 emissions compliant engine line-up further emphasize Honda’s intent with the the all-new Accord.

Significantly wider and slightly lower, the styling adopts a more emotional, sporty motif. The ‘sharp-edged’ design, with pronounced muscular wheelarches that emphasize the car’s wider track, gives the Accord a distinctive, strong stance with a solid, planted feel. The distinctive nose and more flowing lines deliver a tauter and more athletic shape.

The evolution from the previous generation Accord is even more pronounced in the case of the Tourer, where a greater emphasis on load carrying practicality has evolved into a more dynamic expression of its advanced technology, while still retaining a strong degree of versatility and practicality.

Three advanced new engines with some of the lowest emissions in their segment

The new range is one of the first to offer a complete engine line-up that will comply with the forthcoming Euro 5 emissions regulations which aren’t due to be introduced until September 2009. The exceptional environmental credentials haven’t been achieved at the cost of driving enjoyment, however, and greater frugality is matched by greater performance and flexibility.

Making its debut is Honda’s second-generation diesel engine which builds on the outstanding qualities of the award-winning i-CTDi unit to raise the bar in the diesel stakes once again. Its advanced technology and overall capabilities place it firmly at the forefront of diesel development and underpins the Accord’s claim to offer one of the strongest combinations of dynamic performance and environmental responsibility in the marketplace.

Like its predecessor, the new i-DTEC engine is compact, lightweight, refined and quiet in operation. It employs the latest piezoelectric multi-stage fuel injection technology, more efficient exhaust gas recirculation and a particulate filter for significantly reduced emissions. At the same time both power and torque levels have been increased for a sportier driving experience. Output is 10 PS greater at 150 PS/110 kW at the same 4,000 rpm, while peak torque is now 350 Nm at 2,000 rpm.

The 2.0-liter i-VTEC offers similar levels of performance to its predecessor – 156 PS at 6,300 rpm – but builds on its class leading fuel economy. Key technological changes include increased diameter intake valves, further optimized valve lift and timing and increased inlet and exhaust air flow volumes.

The 2.4-liter engine is more powerful, delivering 200 PS at 7000 rpm and peak torque of 233 Nm at 4500 rpm – up from 190 PS and 223 Nm. Behind the figures are a compression ratio increased from 10.5 to 11.0:1, larger diameter valves, revised valve timing, and reduced exhaust system pressures.

6-speed manual/5-speed automatic

All three engines are matched to a 6-speed manual transmission, while both petrol engines have the option of a 5-speed automatic.

Manual models feature a ‘Shift Indicator Light’ or SIL which appears in the center of the rev counter. ‘UP’ or ‘DOWN’ are displayed to advise the driver of the optimum point (in terms of best fuel economy) at which to change gear; Honda tests have demonstrated fuel savings of as much as 5 per cent simply by following these commands.

The 5-speed automatic transmission now has a straight ‘P R N D S’ gate: using the steering wheel paddles in S mode provides a sequential shift mode, allowing manual shifting and gear hold.

Agile, secure handling

Enthusiastic drivers will also appreciate the new Accord’s greater agility. A lowered center of gravity, a wider track and the all-new front double wishbone and rear multilink suspension with variable rate dampers, plus greater body rigidity mean that the Accord more readily reacts to driver input. Handling is more responsive and confidence-inspiring and body roll is much reduced.

Speed sensitive electric power steering is standard on all models and the new axial system features a high output, low inertia brushless motor which provides excellent steering feel at higher speeds for a sense of stability and confidence. A quicker steering ratio has also been adopted in keeping with the Accord’s more agile chassis characteristics.

A comprehensive safety package

Complementing an armory of passive safety features is an outstanding array of dynamic systems delivering even greater security. Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) is standard across the range and is designed to assist the driver in maintaining control during cornering, acceleration and sudden manoeuvres by applying braking to the right or left hand wheels as necessary and modulating the engine torque output as required.

Motion Adaptive Electric Power Steering (EPS)

The new Accord also features an innovative system in which the capabilities of both VSA and the car’s Electric Power Steering are brought to bear. Called Motion Adaptive EPS, it detects instability in slippery conditions both during cornering and under braking and automatically initiates steering inputs aimed at prompting the driver to steer in the correct direction.

The input is barely noticeable and control of the steering remains with the driver at all times. But this supporting steering torque is enough to prompt the driver to act intuitively and the driver’s reaction as a result is enough to regain stability or to shorten braking distances, allowing control to be maintained.
Advanced Driving Assist System (ADAS) optional across the range

Optionally available on Executive grade on 2.2 i-DTEC and 2.4 i-VTEC is Honda’s Advanced Driving Assist System (ADAS), a suite of three ground-breaking technologies that raise safety to a new level. The first of these is the Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) which uses a camera to detect the car deviating from a traffic lane and provides steering torque when necessary, thereby reducing the burden of motorway driving while at the same time enhancing safety.

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) uses a millimetre-wave radar to maintain a consistent distance to a vehicle directly in front, for more relaxed, less tiring driving.

The third ADAS system is the Collision Mitigation Brake System (CMBS) which monitors the following distance and closing rate between the Accord and the car directly in front of it, warning the driver when a collision is likely and helping reduce impact when a collision becomes unavoidable.

These systems complement the Accord’s passive safety features which include front seatbelt pre-tensioners and load limiters, dual stage front airbags, driver and front passenger side airbags, full length curtain airbags and ISOFIX fittings and tether anchor points for secure childseat fixture on all models. There are also front seat active headrests which are triggered when the occupant is pushed into the seat in the event of a rear impact, so causing a rigid plate to activate a link to the headrest which pushes it forward to support the head.

Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) Body Structure

Progressively introduced throughout the Honda range, the Accord’s Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) Body Structure provides significantly enhanced occupant protection in a variety of real-world crash conditions.

A front-mounted polygonal main frame is designed to prevent cabin deformation by distributing forces through multiple major load bearing pathways – and away from the passenger compartment. This is particularly important where a frontal collision occurs between vehicles of differing heights, weights or frame construction.

To achieve top level, side impact safety, Honda’s engineers have increased the side section of the frame and chosen different material specifications to provide the desired level of stiffness and strength for critical areas, without adding unnecessary weight.

The new Accord also incorporates many of the pedestrian-protection design features already familiar from recent Honda models, including windscreen wiper pivots designed to break away on impact, energy absorbing front wing mounts and bonnet hinges alongside an unobstructed area beneath the bonnet allowing greater space for deformation.

Premium interior with carefully selected materials and outstanding fit and finish

The sporty feel of the cockpit is reflected in a fascia design characterised by a strong feeling of personal space for both the driver and front passenger. Distinctive silver trim sweeps inwards across the fascia from either side before continuing down into the center console. Stylish and highly supportive front seats have larger bolsters while a new internal structure is designed to reduce any transmission of vibration.

Black with silver trim, the sporty three spoke steering wheel holds a complete suite of controls – including audio, cruise control and mobile telephone control. It is fully adjustable for reach and rake, with an extra 10 degrees of tilt adjustment compared to the previous Accord.

The new Accord features ‘floating’ backlit instruments and contained within the center of the speedometer face is an LCD multi-information display showing a variety of information – controls positioned on the steering wheel allow the driver to cycle the display through multiple screens of information.

A new feature is a service reminder that presents the driver with either the distance or days remaining to a required service, with an enlarged warning symbol appearing when the due date is imminent.

Storage space includes two center console side pockets; a lidded storage area to side of the steering wheel; large front door pockets able to hold bottles and maps; bottle holders in the rear door panels, and a large center console box. Rather than a fold-down pocket design, the large glovebox now has an independent lid and is subdivided with a tissue box compartment as well as space secured for a manual. The lid of the center console box doubles up as an armrest and is slide-adjustable by 89 mm. Two cupholders are provided in the center console, while rear seat passengers have access to a further two contained in the center armrest, revealed when it is folded down.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Press release from Acura for the TSX...

All-New 2009 TSX to Debut at New York International Auto Show

Acura announced today it will debut the all-new 2009 Acura TSX sports sedan at the 2008 New York International Auto Show and released an exterior photo of the new model. Scheduled to go on-sale in the spring, the 2009 Acura TSX will be the second generation of Acura's popular entry level sedan and feature numerous advancements in performance, styling, technology and safety.

"The new 2009 TSX speaks clearly to the direction we are taking our Acura sedans in the future," said Dick Colliver, executive vice president auto sales, "The TSX is a significant step in the advancement of our sedan lineup and the continued enhancement of the Acura brand." Acura unveiled the new 2009 RL at the Chicago Auto Show last week and also announced the company will introduce an-all new TL performance luxury sedan later this year.

The 2009 Acura TSX will be introduced during the New York International Auto Show media days which occur on March 19th and 20th.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
That lip on the front bumper looks pretty good
Old 02-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Unless Acura has a "hook and lateral" or a "Statue of Liberty" trick play up their sleeve, I think it's pretty clear there will be no SH-AWD, not much more HP, but a bigger car.

The interior looks nice. The exterior is the very essence of bland.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like it but the grille is a little odd
Old 02-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,860 Likes on 2,580 Posts
ok you didnt have to do an accord conversion to save the first gen tsx. but Im sorry after seeing that its 10x better than the US TSX. I would only drive it with the accord grill, bumper, and lip.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:36 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like it! Paddle shifters ftmfw!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

as i said before, i like it a lot.

it's a nice evolution from the current design. you can tell it's a TSX as it has the same but tweaked front and rear.

but now, the car looks more aggressive and not as bland as the current model.

unless they offer a type-s model, i doubt i'll be looking to buy another TSX in the future. but it already looks better than mine.

maybe the gf will want to buy one.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Guess I'm in the minority but that Euro grille with an Acura logo would, IMO, bring Acura back to the era of boring designs. There's hardly anything groundbreaking about the new Euro Accord/TSX, but the new Acura grille saves it.

And are my eyes fooling me, or do I see real wood on the center console, finally?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Race Director

doesn't the Accord wagon look kind of odd with the taillights? the wagon screams subaru forester or ford freestyle.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:25 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
I love the wagon, taillights and everything. It looks great.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I agree about the Euro Accord grille being boring

Originally Posted by phile
Guess I'm in the minority but that Euro grille with an Acura logo would, IMO, bring Acura back to the era of boring designs. There's hardly anything groundbreaking about the new Euro Accord/TSX, but the new Acura grille saves it.
I agree that the Euro Accord grille is pretty boring. It is almost as bad as a Toyota...

That said, I do think that the new TSX grille could be a little better though... more MDX than the 09 RL would make it much better! :-)
Old 02-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Instructor

i think the tsx looks pretty good, mdx grill might be better. I agree that this gives it more style than the euro one. It would make more sense if they came out with the type S turboe shawd from the start to create that boom in terms of marketing. Its doesnt look like acura has said anything about the engine yet; i know they mentioned the 2.4 in the accord. But the TSX has always been more powerful than the euro
Old 02-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by charliemike
Unless Acura has a "hook and lateral" or a "Statue of Liberty" trick play up their sleeve, I think it's pretty clear there will be no SH-AWD, not much more HP, but a bigger car.

The interior looks nice. The exterior is the very essence of bland.
I've read many good rumors that a second powertrain option will be offered later this year for the TSX. That new option will give more power and include SHAWD
Old 02-12-2008, 10:17 AM
how handsome I am

If they do offer a type-s, it probably wont come till the MMC... two-year lease anyone?
Old 02-12-2008, 10:31 AM
101 years of heartache...

I was expecting a Turbocharged 4-cylinder to be the base engine (a detuned RDX engine perhaps)
Old 02-12-2008, 10:55 AM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some people don't get it either, like the design folks at Acura. The grille really shouldn't be the key element of the design. And don't people notice that this grille is nothing new, been used by Honda before, and currently being used by Saturn? Lose this stupid grille for crying out loud, it does nothing for the Acura brand.

The lights are where the actions are. Look at Audi's new day time running lights.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:00 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

The Euro Accord press release doesn't excite me at all.

...and paddle shifters for the 5AT?!?!?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:03 AM

yea that's what i was thinking too. paddles shifters are cool...but c'mon...
Old 02-12-2008, 11:13 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

They desperately need a more powerful, AWD version with a DSG type tranny as an option. I can't stress that enough.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

The Euro Accord press release doesn't excite me at all.

Bah, paddle-shifting 5 times versus 6 or 7 times...SAME THING.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by dom
They desperately need a more powerful, AWD version with a DSG type tranny as an option. I can't stress that enough.
this ain't no audi, dude.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:39 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Bah, paddle-shifting 5 times versus 6 or 7 times...SAME THING.

It's nothing to do with the amount of speeds 5,6,7 but rather paddle shifters to a Honda Automatic is retarded.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

It's nothing to do with the amount of speeds 5,6,7 but rather paddle shifters to a Honda Automatic is retarded.
It's a gimmick that'll be neat for maybe...a day. I had the CSX on loan while my car was in the shop during the summer and I fooled around with the paddles for the first day.

After that, meh. Guess it is just another way of creating a "tiptronic/sports shift" system...?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:50 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
this ain't no audi, dude.

No, but I think we can all agree that's where they should be aiming.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Go Big Blue!

Yep. The stick shifter is useful. It can help in bad weather or if you're just too lazy to step on the brake in traffic that is moderately slowing down. I use the stick shifter often.

But the paddles? This isn't a n F1 car. What do I need that for. I don't even drive with two hands. Sad thing is they now took away the stick shift option and left us only with the paddles in the new RL. I assume they will do that with the TSX also. Dumb idea in my mind. Now if you want to down shift for some reason, yuo have to first go too the stick, drop it into "shift" mode, then reach up and hit the paddle. That's just great.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:55 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Even Honda wouldn't take away the MT....yet. The 6MT will still be available, along with the 5AT with the :ghey: paddles.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Audi Driving Snob

I haven't read through the entire thread but I have to say this update to the TSX is dissapointing.

It basically seems more like a MMC type of refresh then any substantial upate. Basically the same engine/transmittion options and some silghtly evolved styling.

The exterior and interior are still great IMO - but the on ly way I come back to a TSX from audi is if they get that AWD turbo going.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Go Big Blue!

yes, why they are releasing the car without the new engine package is beyond me. I agree it's a stupid move. Just add it to the list of missteps. Regarding the rest of the story; we really haven't heard any details on what has been added to the car. Heard a bunch about the Euro but that won't necessarily translate to the TSX. I guess we all should be patient until we get the full story in a few weeks. Who knows, maybe they will surprise everyone and announce the optional engine package as well.

Quick Reply: Acura: TSX News