Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 04:52 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by need4spd
OK, here goes -

D. Tires:

All Seasons Standard (s/b 17")
High Performance Tires (maybe 18") as option to 6spd Manual ONLY (other bits, such as brembos or suspension tweaks not known)

There is no maybe on the 18"s and brembos. It will happen.

This is not a rumor. It is confirmed. Same with the no AWD.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:24 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Anyone care to elaborate or speculate for us Canadians (or me) what the differences will be between the US HPT package and the CAD Dynamic package? Does anyone know ?
Old 07-24-2003, 08:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Well done so far.

Justin are you able to confirm that we will not lose any of the current features? eg; Dual power seats, with driver's memory, moonroof, etc.

Also, since it is relatively small, maybe you can confirm the presence or lack there of, of a tilt and telescoping steering wheel with or without a power adjust and perhaps the presence or lack of power adjustable lumbar support.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

i believe the interior color is camel, not carmel
Old 07-24-2003, 09:18 AM
Pro

Originally posted by domn
Anyone care to elaborate or speculate for us Canadians (or me) what the differences will be between the US HPT package and the CAD Dynamic package? Does anyone know ?
From the other thread - this is getting rediculous (two threads)
-----------------
HPT Package - Tires or MORE???

Hey one other thing I was thinking about - If the USA is getting HPT and Canada the Dynamic package, does this mean the HPT package has the dynamic package, and Canada has the HPT package less the summer performance tires???

What I am trying to read into this is as follows:

If Canada is getting a Dynamic package, does that mean the HPT package incorporates some type of suspension tweaks like Stash has indicated in the past, since in Canada, when it looses the summer tires, Acura calls it the Dynamic package (ie changing the car's dynamics???

Sorry, can't figure a way to make this less fuzzy
-------------------

therefore I think the canadians are getting suspension tweaks and brembos (thanks to stash for confirming this), possibly the 18" tires, but all seasons, not summers.

Basically the same package, less the tires IMO
Old 07-24-2003, 09:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Interesting, and yes this is ridiculous, there was no way I was going through 1100 posts to find out, although I could have searched on the word Dynamic but that would be work.

Its funny because we get no more snow here in Toronto than they do in the Northern States anyway, and its not like other Manf ie BMW, Lexus and MB don't sell cars here with "Summer Only" tires, and those cars are RWD to boot.

I hate to break the news to our American friends on this board but I'm betting that the CAD Dynamic TL will be a superior model to the HPT version the US will get. I'm betting it will have everything the HPT model has including Summer Tires but also special badging, rims and maybe even Aero package. Remember, Honda sells more cars per capita in Canada than any other country in the world, Honda Loves Us Canadians.

I know I sound like a broken record.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Pro

Domn, I was not refering to your question being rediculous, just the fact that we now have two threads, the info I posted was on the one started by Lycos with the Seattle sighting.

For your sake, I hope your right about the Dynamic package being better than the HPT package, but you know Honda is very conserviative with things like tyres (), but the name Dynamic as a badge is about as bad as HPT!
Old 07-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Pro

Interesting, and yes this is ridiculous, there was no way I was going through 1100 posts to find out, although I could have searched on the word Dynamic but that would be work.

Its funny because we get no more snow here in Toronto than they do in the Northern States anyway, and its not like other Manf ie BMW, Lexus and MB don't sell cars here with "Summer Only" tires, and those cars are RWD to boot.

I hate to break the news to our American friends on this board but I'm betting that the CAD Dynamic TL will be a superior model to the HPT version the US will get. I'm betting it will have everything the HPT model has including Summer Tires but also special badging, rims and maybe even Aero package. Remember, Honda sells more cars per capita in Canada than any other country in the world, Honda Loves Us Canadians.

I know I sound like a broken record.
Putting summer only tires on a car bound for Canada makes no sense and I doubt with Honda/Acuras historical conservativeness that what you say is true.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
theyre not summer only .theyre winter never 3 season tires....and even thats a strecth...anyway
Old 07-24-2003, 10:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

jwaters, why does'nt it not make sense considering the fact that RWD drive cars are sold in Canada, and RWD cars that come with Summer Only Tires are also sold in Canada.. Does it make sense to sell the Vette, NSX, Viper or any other RWD sports car in Canada? It obviously does because they sell them here. Honda histirically being conservative is another story altogether.

I hope you don't think that Canada is a vast wasteland of Snow of Ice that never sees the Sun. There a few places in the US that typically get more snow than Toronto does. And I don't mean Alaska. The only reason I'm guessing the Canadian Dynamic TL will be superior to the HPT TL is hitorically Honda has given us CAD's some unique and special models not available anywhere else.

Need4, I know you were'nt saying it was ridiculous, I was just saying that I feel the same way.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

When I think of Canada, I think of a giant frozen tundra:

Old 07-24-2003, 10:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by RJC RSX
When I think of Canada, I think of a giant frozen tundra:

That's what I see when I look out the Window every morning.

Another point that I think is important as well is, If I'm spending 45K CAD on a car, I'd have no problem spending an extra $600 or so for winter tires. IMO every single person living in Canada should have snow tires on there car anyway's. I know I've had snow's on my cars since I started driving, and I'll be looking for snows for my TSX very soon now. So a TL that actually came with Summers would be preferential for me. I wish the damn TSX came with Summers.

All Season's
Old 07-24-2003, 11:11 AM
Pro

Another point that I think is important as well is, If I'm spending 45K CAD on a car, I'd have no problem spending an extra $600 or so for winter tires. IMO every single person living in Canada should have snow tires on there car anyway's. I know I've had snow's on my cars since I started driving, and I'll be looking for snows for my TSX very soon now. So a TL that actually came with Summers would be preferential for me. I wish the damn TSX came with Summers.
I agree, I have been running snows for the last 6 years on our two cars, (mine has summers, hers all-seasons). Would not dream of doing it any other way, the snows have a huge advantage over all-seasons in BOTH ICE (with all the sipes and designed to be soft in the cold compounds) and SNOW, even if it doesn’t snow here every year, the safety factor alone is worth it, maybe even less accidents in the winter.

Today's snows are even great in the dry.

Sorry to get off topic, but for the enthusiast, All Seasons stink, again it's big brother trying to protect the idiots from themselves, and lawsuits

:flamer:
Old 07-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Pro

jwaters, why does'nt it not make sense considering the fact that RWD drive cars are sold in Canada, and RWD cars that come with Summer Only Tires are also sold in Canada.. Does it make sense to sell the Vette, NSX, Viper or any other RWD sports car in Canada? It obviously does because they sell them here. Honda histirically being conservative is another story altogether.

I hope you don't think that Canada is a vast wasteland of Snow of Ice that never sees the Sun. There a few places in the US that typically get more snow than Toronto does. And I don't mean Alaska. The only reason I'm guessing the Canadian Dynamic TL will be superior to the HPT TL is hitorically Honda has given us CAD's some unique and special models not available anywhere else.

Need4, I know you were'nt saying it was ridiculous, I was just saying that I feel the same way.
Honda/Acura has displayed an obvious reluctance to put summer tires on any of its cars due to liability concerns, especially in colder climates. I doubt that is going to change with the TL. I could be wrong, but then again so could you. :P I think there's just a little bit of wishful thinking on your part that the TL will be some sort of all out sports sedan. The TL has been and will still be a compromise for those who value, comfort, reliability with some sportiness thrown in for good measure. It will never be a BMW, but it doesn't have to be.

For what it's worth, there have been several studies done that document the fundamental importance of tires on traction in icy/snowy weather. It is possible to make a RWD car outperform a FWD car in inclement weather with the simple addition of good All Season or Snow tires.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:29 AM
Intermediate

i believe the interior color is camel, not carmel
Strange, I thought it was Carmel and not camel. I don't think I'd want to order a color that had the same name as an uncomfortable looking animal. Just the thought of a camel with the hump and the big teeth would make me not order that color. "Yeah, I have an Abyss blue TL with a camel interior"....NO
Old 07-24-2003, 11:30 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by jwaters943
but then again so could you. :P
You're damn right I could be wrong, and probly am But it does'nt hurt to guess.

I think there's just a little bit of wishful thinking on your part that the TL will be some sort of all out sports sedan.
You're probly right on that, and I'm not even sure why I care, I have no plans to buy a TL. I'm just rooting for Acura I guess.

The TL has been and will still be a compromise for those who value, comfort, reliability with some sportiness thrown in for good measure. It will never be a BMW, but it doesn't have to be.
Well Said, I think we're all expecting the TL to the messiah for Acura. I think the next RL and NSX have to the Messiah.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:14 PM
More On

Originally posted by jwaters943
......I think there's just a little bit of wishful thinking on your part that the TL will be some sort of all out sports sedan. The TL has been and will still be a compromise for those who value, comfort, reliability with some sportiness thrown in for good measure.
That's sort of what I've been saying for 3 months. It's not that I'm sure it won't be like that, just that people are a little bit nuts for being so confident that it will be, or even that it'll have a significantly different character than the current TL. My bet would be that it won't, based in part on my continuing belief that if it were, Acura would be re-naming the car.

For what it's worth, there have been several studies done that document the fundamental importance of tires on traction in icy/snowy weather. It is possible to make a RWD car outperform a FWD car in inclement weather with the simple addition of good All Season or Snow tires.
Is this really so??? On numerous threads (mostly "over there"), this was debated, and the consensus seemed to be that no matter what you do with a RWD, it's still not nearly as good as (comparably equipped) FWD.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:31 PM
Instructor

rectangle tailpipes are a HUGE mistake, this isn't a camaro Z28
Old 07-24-2003, 12:35 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally posted by larchmont
On numerous threads (mostly "over there"), this was debated, and the consensus seemed to be that no matter what you do with a RWD, it's still not nearly as good as (comparably equipped) FWD.
The key phrase is "comparably equipped." It has been shown (C&D comes to mind) that in the snow, RWD equipped with snow tires can outperform FWD or AWD shod with all-seasons. But even this is too much of a generalization, IMHO, since there is such a large variation in snow traction among tires marked as "all-season."
Old 07-24-2003, 12:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by donutchow
Speaking of... Will there be a bracket underneath each one to keep them flush with the body?

Will the underbody kit totally enclose the pipes?
Old 07-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Pro

Originally posted by donutchow
I figure if I don't like them, I can remove them (they usually slip on with friction fit or set screw) and fill it with dual pipes each, a la 2004 Maxima

That works for me, and is the most inexpensive thing to change on the whole car.

True, this is the ONE thing I do not like on the car.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Here is a new tid-bit for discussion.

Has anyone, aside from me noticed that the concept did not have a moonroof and the black cars in the spy pictures did not seem to have a moonroof.

The pictures of the silver TL, did look like there was a moonroof.

We have heard about the controls being on the roof, but will this still be a standard feature?
Old 07-24-2003, 02:01 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by EmuMessenger
Here is a new tid-bit for discussion.

Has anyone, aside from me noticed that the concept did not have a moonroof and the black cars in the spy pictures did not seem to have a moonroof.

The pictures of the silver TL, did look like there was a moonroof.

We have heard about the controls being on the roof, but will this still be a standard feature?
Lets put this one to bed fast...Yes it will be standard.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by justinjsw
Thank you.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:14 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Spoil sport.....this topic could have carried us another 1100 posts
Old 07-24-2003, 02:19 PM
OG

Why are there 3 threads on the TL...I thought this is a TSX forum?
Old 07-24-2003, 02:23 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I honest to god think that the name of this forum should be changes to ACURA-TSX-TL.COM. what do you think Soopa?

The three TL threads just show how new information and scoops are what drive most of the members of this site back, including TSX owners.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

this forum is whatever you make it, justin
Old 07-24-2003, 02:36 PM
OG

The crazy part is this will never end. Just when we got done with the TSX...now comes the TL...when the TL is finish...we have the RL...it just won't end.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Burning Brakes

hey justin, when the car comes out of the factory, where will the fog light button be?
Old 07-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

That was fast.

Does everyone not agree that we should be entitled to a new piece of information to celebrate yesterday's TL sighting and today's M5 sighting?

Come on, Justin. Throw us a bone...
Old 07-24-2003, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

The crazy part is this will never end. Just when we got done with the TSX...now comes the TL...when the TL is finish...we have the RL...it just won't end.
So why don't we just call this site www.acura.com ? Oh wait...:P
Old 07-24-2003, 02:45 PM
OG

That was fast.

Does everyone not agree that we should be entitled to a new piece of information to celebrate yesterday's TL sighting and today's M5 sighting?

Come on, Justin. Throw us a bone...
Ok bone it is...

...it will have a V6 engine...

You guys got a bone yesterday...a whole calender of bones.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

but we want marrow!

clutch, acura.org is available
Old 07-24-2003, 02:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Ok bone it is...

Sorry Justin, that big Calendar of bones from yesterday may be big news for dealers, but all it does for us is reinforce the fact that we have to WAIT for more information.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok bone it is...

Thank you, after ventilated seats and power folding mirrors, I have been dying to know what type of engine the car would have.

I'll assume it is going to be fuel injected.

Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

i want to know about fog lights...
Old 07-24-2003, 03:10 PM
Suzuka Master

i want to know about fog lights...
Ditto. I have been and am still hoping they will be integrated into the headlight cluster like the old TL and the old LS 400.

If they are integrated, there is a good chance the new TL will have bi-xenon lights.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:12 PM
Pro

Justin,

Any comment on when the dealers would be ordering cars, it says the MOVE is this week, but two dealers said they were not ordering yet???

Should I be worried for October delivery if they are not ordering now???

Also, could you confirm Stash's statement that Brembo's and 18" wheels are part of the HPT package as this is already out???

Thanks
Old 07-24-2003, 03:16 PM
Race Director

Thank you, after ventilated seats and power folding mirrors, I have been dying to know what type of engine the car would have.

I'll assume it is going to be fuel injected.

Thanks again.
So we are getting the Ventilated Seats or NO?

I am SO CONFUSED

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News