Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 657 Likes on 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
, the 3G TL concept was virtually identical to the production except for the mirrors. The ILX also looks identical to the concept save for the big wheels and Brembo calipers. I can't think of anything that was promoted as a concept that didn't make it to the showrooms in almost the same styling.
If you look at the front bumper on the concept it's more aggressive and lower than on the patent drawing. The door sills probably are too, and I bet the suspension is slightly lower. The wheels make a huge difference too between this concept and a regular Acura. This is typical Acura, stick great looking wheels on their "production ready" concepts and then only offer small boring wheels on the cars you can buy. I can point to several examples.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hate it looks like a toyota camary in a way
Old 06-28-2012, 12:50 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
This video is careful to show the car from the best angles, I can guarantee they purposely try to hide the overhang. I agree the car looks better on this video than in pictures, but that's Acura: design good-looking cars you can't buy, and sell average or ugly-looking cars at the dealerships.
Well, I think most marketing people will try to make their products look the best......I'd have to say, Honda in the past hasn't been successful in this regard, especially with their PR photos. I'd also say that most Honda's/Acura's tend to look better in person. That could be a factor. I really can't think of any Acura concept cars that are a whole lot different than their production models. It's pretty much the same thing for many brands anyway - larger wheels, less wheel gap, tinted windows, and may be lip kit.

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
When the Lexus LS first came out at $40K, it was first well received, then the price continued to increase to today's level.

Remember that the RL model has yet to overcome the $50K price barrier, and it's sales figure spells out that the RL is neither popular nor well received. So a big jump on the price tag is never a good idea, before the RL/RLX name is established and received well.

One other method is to give the RL-replacement a clean sheet. Drop the "RL" model name, and create a new one for the RL-replacement. Let's say "ZLX".

This way, the "ZLX" will now appear to the auto market as a completely new Acura model class, and has absolutely no relationship whatsoever to the poorly performed RL model. Any bad aftertaste resulting from the RL model is erased forever from memory.

Now that the "ZLX" has a fresh start, and thus can set the price tag freely.
the LS came out in 1990 at $40k. I think when you factor in inflation at 2% per year, in 2012, that $40k is more like $62k now. So if Acura were to price the RLX at around $50k, that's equivalent to $32k in 1990.

If you look at the front bumper on the concept it's more aggressive and lower than on the patent drawing. The door sills probably are too, and I bet the suspension is slightly lower. The wheels make a huge difference too between this concept and a regular Acura. This is typical Acura, stick great looking wheels on their "production ready" concepts and then only offer small boring wheels on the cars you can buy. I can point to several examples.
The patent drawings simply show a generic design, I'm not exactly if it has every single detail in it...and I'm not confident that the texture/color in those drawings will show the lines in enough details. As for the wheels, there were a lot of people calling Acura stupid for putting such fugly wheels on the concept.....so I'm not sure if they help the car looks better....

With that said, I think we should wait for the production model to continue with this discussion about the design. I think we can agree on the fact that the production model will be a little different than both the concept model and the patent model.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I thought the LS was $35k when it launched.

But even so, the issue here is that the RL(X) has never stirred any passion or created any kind of aspirational demand.

Which is why this is still not going to sell. No one will feel they have to have it.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:25 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Yes, the MSRP was between $35.5K-$40K. The $40K LS400 was pretty much fully loaded. At that time period, the 730i started with a $49K MSRP, and the 300SE a $53K MSRP.

The key was to undercut the competitors in pricing until the name is established, and the LS was particularly successful in doing so.

Originally Posted by iforyou
the LS came out in 1990 at $40k. I think when you factor in inflation at 2% per year, in 2012, that $40k is more like $62k now. So if Acura were to price the RLX at around $50k, that's equivalent to $32k in 1990.
This is correct.

Remember that the LS was and still is a 7-series/S-Class fighter, and so the $40K back in the 1990. But the RLX isn't. It is one class or more below the LS/7/S. The RL/RLX is a 5-series/E-class fighter, and so $32K in 1990's money terms seems reasonable, when the 1990 E-class started at $32K (190E-2.6), and the 1990 5-series started $33K (525i).

When the time comes for the RLX to be in the same class as the LS, then it can carry a price tag of $40K in 1990's money terms.

Also remember that the $40K was for the top-line LS400. If Acura is able to price the entry-level RLX at $45K and the top-line V6-hybrid 7DCT SH-SH-AWD RLX sedan at around $50K or even the low $50's, then it should undercut the competitors in pricing all right.

My only worry is that the RLX may creep into the $50K-$60K price range.

This may put of most buyers because if they find it hard to swallow a $50K V6 SH-AWD RL, they will find it ever harder with an $50K entry-level FWD V6 RLX which is nothing spectacular in comparison with the top-line model trim.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
There is no way I would pay $50k for a RLX.

You can rationalize all you want but I see nothing that would make it an upmarket option to a TL SH-AWD.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,130 Likes on 2,566 Posts
The patent drawing appear to be simplified in appearance. Suspension and wheels/brakes may change but my point is still extremely valid. The last decade of Acura concept vehicles have been virtually identical to the production versions.

When the RLX production comes out this fall we can compare to the concept.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:10 AM
AZ Community Team

But even so, the issue here is that the RL(X) has never stirred any passion or created any kind of aspirational demand.

Which is why this is still not going to sell. No one will feel they have to have it.
This topic has been be
but when 2G RL came out it did very well in comparison tests and also had fair sales (~17K/year in 2005). Not E/5 numbers and only 1/2 of GS sales as well.

Only time will tell how the RLX does.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:23 AM
AZ Community Team

Considering where the current RL pricing is $48K-56K, I expect the RLX to be the same or slightly higher. The savings of the US production may allow them to allow a better interior trim quality perhaps but considering that a top of the line TL today ends $45K I suspect the RLX even FWD version to be higher than that.

I agree with your pricing analogy of the LS400 and it's introduction. I still remember a friend of mine's boss bought one of the first ones in 1989. Nice car, great attention to detail and quality.

Yes, the MSRP was between $35.5K-$40K. The $40K LS400 was pretty much fully loaded. At that time period, the 730i started with a $49K MSRP, and the 300SE a $53K MSRP.

The key was to undercut the competitors in pricing until the name is established, and the LS was particularly successful in doing so.

This is correct.

Remember that the LS was and still is a 7-series/S-Class fighter, and so the $40K back in the 1990. But the RLX isn't. It is one class or more below the LS/7/S. The RL/RLX is a 5-series/E-class fighter, and so $32K in 1990's money terms seems reasonable, when the 1990 E-class started at $32K (190E-2.6), and the 1990 5-series started $33K (525i).

When the time comes for the RLX to be in the same class as the LS, then it can carry a price tag of $40K in 1990's money terms.

Also remember that the $40K was for the top-line LS400. If Acura is able to price the entry-level RLX at $45K and the top-line V6-hybrid 7DCT SH-SH-AWD RLX sedan at around $50K or even the low $50's, then it should undercut the competitors in pricing all right.

This may put of most buyers because if they find it hard to swallow a $50K V6 SH-AWD RL, they will find it ever harder with an $50K entry-level FWD V6 RLX which is nothing spectacular in comparison with the top-line model trim.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:16 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ttribe
The 3G TL is starting to look more and more like an outlier in many respects.
The 3G TL, 2G RL, and 1G TSX all had similar styling (which was good) so to me they had a common theme in looks.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 5,915 Likes on 2,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
The 3G TL, 2G RL, and 1G TSX all had similar styling (which was good) so to me they had a common theme in looks.
That's not what I was talking about when I referred to the 3G TL as an "outlier."
Old 07-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts

That's the feeling I get. It has no soul and it doesn't stand out what so ever. And people may say the 7 Series, LS, and to a lesser extent the S Class, and A8 aren't radical designs but they can sell on name value alone. This car can't.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:27 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

This is correct.

Just checking some old numbers, a 1991 LS400 was $39k before options and a 1991 Legend LS (after FMC) started at $34k. There's a 15% difference in price.

Today, a LS starts at $67k. A 15% difference would be $58k. Given that Lexus has grown a lot in terms of brand reputation, a loaded RLX FWD should be even lower than $58k. With that said, I can't see the RLX starting much below $50k. I agree with you, I think a $45k asking price would be a nice starting point and the AWD model should start at $50k. I think it's important for them to make several trims as I seriously don't want to see a base RLX FWD for $45k and the next model is a $60k RLX AWD...lol...
Old 07-03-2012, 01:58 PM
6G TLX-S

^^^^^

I'm hoping that the entry level V6 FWD RLX will start at $45K, with the loaded V6-hybrid 7DCT SH-SH-AWD RLX to top off at no more than low-to-mid-$50K's.

Any price above will be a very hard sell.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
RLX is mid size sedan. More in size of current TL but more efficient interior packaging.

http://www.acuranews.com/channels/ac...change-summary

The all-new RLX will launch in early 2013 as Acura's new flagship sedan delivering an entirely new level of performance, sophistication and comfort.
The RLX will boast the interior space of a large luxury sedan with the footprint and agility of a midsize luxury sedan.
The all-wheel-drive RLX model will employ Acura's highly advanced new Sport Hybrid SH-AWD® system (Super Handling All-Wheel Drive). The performance hybrid system utilizes a front-mounted electric motor, located within the dual clutch transmission, and a unique dual electric motor drive unit with a bilateral torque adjustable control system to instantly generate negative or positive torque to the rear wheels during cornering.
The RLX will be offered in a 310 horsepower, front-wheel-drive version, which will deliver superior handling performance through the application of a new Acura technology— Precision All Wheel Steer™.
The RLX equipped with Sport Hybrid SH-AWD® will deliver V-8 acceleration with four-cylinder fuel economy—producing 370 horsepower with an EPA estimated* fuel economy rating of 30/30/30 mpg.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Just checking some old numbers, a 1991 LS400 was $39k before options and a 1991 Legend LS (after FMC) started at $34k. There's a 15% difference in price.

Today, a LS starts at $67k. A 15% difference would be $58k. Given that Lexus has grown a lot in terms of brand reputation, a loaded RLX FWD should be even lower than $58k. With that said, I can't see the RLX starting much below $50k. I agree with you, I think a $45k asking price would be a nice starting point and the AWD model should start at $50k. I think it's important for them to make several trims as I seriously don't want to see a base RLX FWD for $45k and the next model is a $60k RLX AWD...lol...
FWD RLX is simple V6 without SH-AWD. so it is entirely possible to start at $45k without tech package.
Just look at starting price of M37 & M56. Almost $15k gap. and there performance gap between RLX FWD and Electric hybrid SH-AWD will be much more than RWD V6 M37 & M56
Old 07-04-2012, 12:20 AM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
^ RLX it's not mid size sedan.

"The RLX will boast the interior space of a large luxury sedan with the footprint and agility of a midsize luxury sedan."

And top of the line model will be in high 50k, more then 56k for sure!

Last edited by MuGen7Modulo; 07-04-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
It's barely full size. The Accord sedan is full size too by EPA standards, but that's only due to interior space, not exterior measurement. No one's going to look at the RLX and think it's a full size.

Cars like the Avalon, Impala, Azera, etc are true full size.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:41 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The people in the YouTube video are staring at the RLX because they are shocked at how horrible it looks.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
It's barely full size. The Accord sedan is full size too by EPA standards, but that's only due to interior space, not exterior measurement. No one's going to look at the RLX and think it's a full size.

Cars like the Avalon, Impala, Azera, etc are true full size.
The only one I can think of is the current Maxima. It gets classified as a full size, but its dimensions are mid-size.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Production FWD RLX to be unveiled 11/28/2012 at the LA Auto Show:

http://acuranews.com/channels/acura-...eles-auto-show

Originally Posted by Acura
The production model of the all-new 2014 Acura RLX will debut on November 28, 2012, the first press day of the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show, it was announced today. The new Acura flagship sedan will employ an array of new technologies unique to Acura, including the Precision All Wheel Steer™ system, the next-generation AcuraLink® Communication System, and the all-new Jewel Eye™ LED headlamps to deliver an entirely new level of performance, sophistication and comfort.
The front-wheel-drive version of the 2014 RLX will utilize Acura’s new Precision All Wheel Steer™ system. This system automatically makes slight adjustments to the relative rear wheel (toe) angles by utilizing electrically controlled actuators to deliver an extraordinary level of cornering control and steering precision. The front-wheel-drive RLX will come equipped with an all-new 3.5-liter direct-injected VTEC® V-6 engine producing 310 horsepower (SAE net).
The RLX will feature the first application of the next-generation AcuraLink®, which incorporates built-in two-way cellular communication to deliver a variety of new convenience features, including airbag deployment notification, stolen vehicle tracking, remote locking and unlocking, security alarm notification and concierge service. Acura’s exclusive Jewel Eye™ LED headlamps use a dual-stacked array of multiple high-intensity LED lamps, with ultra-reflective optical lenses and high-gloss trim, to provide powerful down-the-road illumination, while simultaneously giving the RLX a distinctive and bright-eyed look in both daytime and nighttime conditions.
The Acura RLX will offer an extensive array of passive and active safety features. These include a Collision Mitigation Braking System™ and the first application of Acura’s Lane Keep Assist System. In addition, Forward Collision Warning and Lane Departure Warning will be offered as standard equipment on the RLX. Passive safety features will include front, side and side-curtain airbags for the driver and front passenger, and a driver’s knee airbag. The RLX also incorporates the second generation of Acura’s Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure, with reinforced front frame members for further enhanced frontal crash energy management. The RLX is expected to achieve a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score from NHTSA and the new TOP SAFETY PICK PLUS status from IIHS.
Press materials will be posted on www.acuranews.com immediately following the press conference.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 PM
6G TLX-S

All Wheel Steer™ ?

Is it the same as the 4-wheel steering that was first debut 2 decade ago on the Honda Prelude 4WS ?

But the 4-wheel steering features on both the Prelude 4WS and the Mazda MX-6 weren't well received by the auto buyers during that era.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:35 AM
Race Director

Received 627 Likes on 505 Posts
Marketing gimmick - it makes no diff to the 50-60 year old driver in their typical driving.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:20 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

All Wheel Steer™ ?

Is it the same as the 4-wheel steering that was first debut 2 decade ago on the Honda Prelude 4WS ?

But the 4-wheel steering features on both the Prelude 4WS and the Mazda MX-6 weren't well received by the auto buyers during that era.
Similar idea but with modern tech?

CVT in general isn't well received but the CVT in the new Accord seems to be getting good reviews thus far. Perhaps it will be the same for the new All Wheel Steer system?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:14 AM
6G TLX-S

^^^^^

CVT is destined to replace conventional auto trannies in the future, due to it's power transfer efficiency and thus fuel saving in contributing to better CAFE numbers.

But what does 4-wheel steering replace ?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Race Director

Lack of marketing line item?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

^^^^^

CVT is destined to replace conventional auto trannies in the future, due to it's power transfer efficiency and thus fuel saving in contributing to better CAFE numbers.

Well that would be a different topic...I was simply suggesting that perhaps the newer AWS system will be considerably improved.

I wonder if it's useful for cars with long wheelbase. I think AWS would help reduce the turning radius?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:00 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
still a V6
Old 09-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
I"m so excited for this car.
The following users liked this post:
charliemike (09-26-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts

I wonder if it's useful for cars with long wheelbase. I think AWS would help reduce the turning radius?
I would assume it does, but then what are they going to advertise? the FWD RLX has a tighter turning radius than its more expensive SH-AWD RLX?
Old 09-25-2012, 05:36 AM
6G TLX-S

Well that would be a different topic...I was simply suggesting that perhaps the newer AWS system will be considerably improved.

2 decades ago in North America, the 4-wheel-steering (4WS) feature was marketed by Honda and Mazda as to improve handling performance on the Prelude and MX-6 respectively. The 4WS enabled the sport cars to give better cornering control and achieve better skidpad/slalom results.

The 4WS was for improving handling performance, so it was offered only on the Prelude and MX-6 sport cars, and not on sedans. Everything seemed well planned then, except that car buyers didn't like it.

Now, the AWS is first used on a premium(?) sedan. I wonder how Acura will be marketing this feature so that car buyers will finally embrace it this time around.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 AM
Race Director

^ Like many other lesser features, the 4WS is so low on the importance list for most folks to make it meaningless. The average buyer would be more enamored with LED headlights than this featue.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
2 decades ago in North America, the 4-wheel-steering (4WS) feature was marketed by Honda and Mazda as to improve handling performance on the Prelude and MX-6 respectively. The 4WS enabled the sport cars to give better cornering control and achieve better skidpad/slalom results.

The 4WS was for improving handling performance, so it was offered only on the Prelude and MX-6 sport cars, and not on sedans. Everything seemed well planned then, except that car buyers didn't like it.

Now, the AWS is first used on a premium(?) sedan. I wonder how Acura will be marketing this feature so that car buyers will finally embrace it this time around.
This 4ws sounds much different though. It changes suspension geometry instead of turning the actual wheel. This could result in MUCH better handling if done properly.

Like for instance when i set up my car for lapping days i will typically throw in 1/4deg or so of toe. It helps with turn in but under hard braking from higher speeds it can get twitchy and isnt the best for tire life. Having a system that adjusts it while turning instead of all the time could have huge benefits
Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by biker
^ Like many other lesser features, the 4WS is so low on the importance list for most folks to make it meaningless. The average buyer would be more enamored with LED headlights than this featue.
That's true...lol.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
This 4ws sounds much different though. It changes suspension geometry instead of turning the actual wheel. This could result in MUCH better handling if done properly.

Like for instance when i set up my car for lapping days i will typically throw in 1/4deg or so of toe. It helps with turn in but under hard braking from higher speeds it can get twitchy and isnt the best for tire life. Having a system that adjusts it while turning instead of all the time could have huge benefits
I didn't know much about the new AWS system in the RLX. Where did you find the above info? I'm interested to know how much of an improvement there will be with the new system on a heavy FWD sedan. I don't think consumers care more about the end result - how well the car handles - rather than the process of achieving the result (fancy AWS).
Old 09-26-2012, 03:55 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by fsttyms1

You know, I rather have driver-selectable adjustable suspension than the AWS on the new Acura flag-ship premium sedan.

On the 4G sub-forum, some owners are complaining about the rough ride on their SH-AWD TL's, while others want their suspensions even stiffer for more cornering performance. Adjustable suspension should very well cater to the best of both worlds.

Besides, some European luxury auto makers, such as BMW, are already offering driver-selectable adjustable suspension options on their premium products.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
You know, I rather have driver-selectable adjustable suspension than the AWS on the new Acura flag-ship premium sedan.

On the 4G sub-forum, some owners are complaining about the rough ride on their SH-AWD TL's, while others want their suspensions even stiffer for more cornering performance. Adjustable suspension should very well cater to the best of both worlds.

Besides, some European luxury auto makers, such as BMW, are already offering driver-selectable adjustable suspension options on their premium products.
I agree. It's not like Acura doesn't have the tech. They offer it on the ZDX advance and MDX advance. I think it should have the 4WS and IDS (adjustable suspension)
Old 11-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,262 Likes on 5,221 Posts
Acura RLX caught while filming a commercial

http://www.hondasacuras.com/2012/11/...e-filming.html

The following users liked this post:
Ken1997TL (11-06-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,262 Likes on 5,221 Posts
looks BMW/Lexus-ish...
Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 AM