Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews..._s4/index.html

I'm sure you've seen this recent comparison of the 2010 TL 6MT vs 2010 Audi S4. From what I've read, it appears to be a tie. Not too shabby IMHO.
MHO.
Interesting article. So the TL held it's own very well against the S4. Not sure if that says more about the TL or the S4! I wouldn't want to have been the owner of an S4 reading that article. Thats a hell of a premium for not much more. Even the grill situation isn't much better. Trading one offensive grill for another IMO
Old 08-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
It's a TL thread?
Old 08-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
^why not? it's gone way off topic before.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:15 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Interesting article. So the TL held it's own very well against the S4. Not sure if that says more about the TL or the S4! I wouldn't want to have been the owner of an S4 reading that article. Thats a hell of a premium for not much more. Even the grill situation isn't much better. Trading one offensive grill for another IMO
Off topic, the S4 is a good looking car, save the grill that IMHO looks like Darth Vader. Not sure which one is better, Vader or the proboscis nose, though the internet and AZ public generally seems to be more accepting of Audi's monstrosity over Acura's.

On topic, the article just kind of stamps the foot on the RL. Why spend $50k+ on a RL Tech when the TL Tech can be had for $43k, and the TL 6MT is arguably Acura's best performance vehicle thus far?
Old 08-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by krio
It's a TL thread?
Apparently.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
I never said TL is better than M in ever aspect but TL has more positives than negatives when it is compared to Infiniti M. and TL shortcomings can be rectified in MMC within reasonable price point like under $50K. Acura has already implemeted some of those improvements in ZDX. look at amount of praise on long term TL-SH-AWD at Motortrend. They clearly said Infinti M has none of the handling and braking quality of TL.

Car is well proportioned for 18-19inch rim size.

situtation with Infiniti M is practically hopeless at this price point. It can only be improved when super expensive MB engines are imported to Japan. The car has super size fenders wheel arches that need 20inch rims for styling. At 20inch you can practically forget about handling/ride quality.
The TL is overpriced the way it is. If it hits 50k id never look at the brand again.

I guess Ferrari did it all wrong, because they use 20" wheels. I guess their cars dont handle good
Old 08-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
The TL is overpriced the way it is. If it hits 50k id never look at the brand again.

I guess Ferrari did it all wrong, because they use 20" wheels. I guess their cars dont handle good
I hate to sound like I keep defending the TL, but why do you say it's overpriced? I got a 2010 TL Tech fwd with 18" wheels and a few other accessories in July for $35k. Say what you want about it's grill, it's rear end, etc. But for the size, quality, and features, I'd like you to find many cars (if any) that offer more value. If you have one, give us an example of what you mean.

Personally, I think the G37 comes the closest but it's interior isn't quite as nice IMO or as large. But that ones debatable I agree.

The IS350 seems overpriced to me for what you get. The IS250 is in the price range with the TL but it's WAY underpowered compared to the TL and has less tech than the TL. So unless you REALLY value RWD, it's a much worse value. I speak from experience on this one because I bought a 2009 IS250 for one of my daughters last year and I've driven it many times and twice on a 1+ hr trip. Trust me, it's crap for the price. If you lived with both the TL and IS you wouldn't be saying the TL is overpriced.

And if the TL is overpriced, then what isn't? A 335? An A4? Hmmmm, now theres some real value. Personally, I really can't think of anything much better valued unless you drop down into the high volume brands (Nissan, Toyota, Honda, etc.) Down there there are some good cars that come CLOSE to the TL but not really close enough and the dealership experience will be far substandard to what you will get from the step-up brands.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. Time to rename this thread?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator

I hate to sound like I keep defending the TL, but why do you say it's overpriced? I got a 2010 TL Tech fwd with 18" wheels and a few other accessories in July for $35k. Say what you want about it's grill, it's rear end, etc. But for the size, quality, and features, I'd like you to find many cars (if any) that offer more value. If you have one, give us an example of what you mean.

Personally, I think the G37 comes the closest but it's interior isn't quite as nice IMO or as large. But that ones debatable I agree.

The IS350 seems overpriced to me for what you get. The IS250 is in the price range with the TL but it's WAY underpowered compared to the TL and has less tech than the TL. So unless you REALLY value RWD, it's a much worse value. I speak from experience on this one because I bought a 2009 IS250 for one of my daughters last year and I've driven it many times and twice on a 1+ hr trip. Trust me, it's crap for the price. If you lived with both the TL and IS you wouldn't be saying the TL is overpriced.

And if the TL is overpriced, then what isn't? A 335? An A4? Hmmmm, now theres some real value. Personally, I really can't think of anything much better valued unless you drop down into the high volume brands (Nissan, Toyota, Honda, etc.) Down there there are some good cars that come CLOSE to the TL but not really close enough and the dealership experience will be far substandard to what you will get from the step-up brands.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. Time to rename this thread?
There is no need to defend it. Every one has their own opinions. That is mine.
And, I should have said fully loaded. Acura just isnt the Value car they used to be to me. New they have moved out of the price range for me of what id be willing to pay. I looked at one (the only one i would ever consider, the 6 speed) and with every thing it had on it it was just 1200 shy of 50k. For that kind of money id get a CTS-V (used VERY low mileage)
Old 08-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
There are two possiblities that are going to happen in next one or two years. RL will go either upmarket or discontinued.
so there is space for TL to go towards the $50K mark with MMC and possbily Type-S model. after all BMW 5 starts at $44k and ends up at $80K.
There is nothing wrong with TL starting at $35K and ending up at $50K. It would still be bargain for its performance, space,comfort, handling, tech featurres, resale value and reliability.

Ferrari can have 26inch rims. it does not matter as its main function is not refinement and comfort.

look at C&D Midsize comparision test. M37 cost $60k loaded. and handles like $20k Honda Accord family sedan with sound level not of $60k car.
Even with 7speed Auto its fuel economy is not better than 5speed TL-SH-AWD in long range test. even the braking performance is below average. This is called overpriced and under achiever for its class.

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...0ed856746b.pdf

http://www.examiner.com/honda-and-ac...cura-tl-sh-awd

The beauty of the Acura TL SH-AWD is that it mixes all of the positive virtues of competitors like the Audi A6 (all wheel drive), BMW 5-Series (sporty steering and handling) and the Lexus GS (refinement) yet you get them all in one far more affordable package. I’d say that the 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD qualifies as the luxury car bargain of the year. Just check out the prices for its competition and you will see what I mean.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
havent seen this many Magazine racers since 2001....

i have seen so many TL AWD on the track cuz they are faster than 335 and G37 and 370Z...
Old 08-23-2010, 01:23 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
SSFTSX is the magazine racer for the 21st century....
Old 08-23-2010, 01:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
I never said TL is better than M in ever aspect but TL has more positives than negatives when it is compared to Infiniti M. and TL shortcomings can be rectified in MMC within reasonable price point like under $50K. Acura has already implemeted some of those improvements in ZDX. look at amount of praise on long term TL-SH-AWD at Motortrend. They clearly said Infinti M has none of the handling and braking quality of TL.

Car is well proportioned for 18-19inch rim size.

situtation with Infiniti M is practically hopeless at this price point. It can only be improved when super expensive MB engines are imported to Japan. The car has super size fenders wheel arches that need 20inch rims for styling. At 20inch you can practically forget about handling/ride quality.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:46 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,319 Likes on 4,899 Posts
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 08-23-2010, 02:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
SSFTSX is the magazine racer for the 21st century....
I can say that SSFTSX NEVER seems to notice being the object on this thread of critics and mockeries from many.
He continues all the time, every day, on his solitary road with his strange assertions (maybe he is a robot?) and nothing seems really to bother him.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well atleast he's talking about cars and not getting personal
Old 08-23-2010, 07:05 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
I see the PWin coninues unabated. Let's see how long we can keep this up.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
Yep. One of two possibilities with SSFTSX. He's either messing with all you guys and you are falling for it, or he truly believes what he believes and is just stating his opinion.

Either way, he doesn't give in to heckling, he explains his reasoning, and he doesn't get personal. Thats more than I can say for a lot of people on here. Spewing out clever one liners all day long that add nothing to the discussion. Those are the people that annoy me more and some of them are moderators . For me, SSFTSX is easy to deal with. I can read his argument, agree or dismiss it, and move on.

EDIT: Myself included. I try not to spew out one liners without explaining myself, but, I have had less control over my emotions than SSFTSX and have gotten personal at times. Hats off to you SSFTSX. You're a better man than me regardless of whether I share your opinions.

Last edited by SpicyMikey; 08-23-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ what is even more annoying is the people who complain about the people complaining about SSFTSX and people like me who point out the people who are complaining about the complainers who complain about SSFTSX!

you see how complicated it gets

I just kid man!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Go Big Blue!

New they have moved out of the price range for me of what id be willing to pay. I looked at one (the only one i would ever consider, the 6 speed) and with every thing it had on it it was just 1200 shy of 50k. For that kind of money id get a CTS-V (used VERY low mileage)
That makes more sense now. I can understand and agree with that. When you simply posted: "The TL is overpriced the way it is" I assumed you were talking about average value for the average car buyer. That I have a hard time buying.

To me you are obviously not the average car buyer and probably NOT a 4G TL buyer. I realize they sell it with a 6MT and HP tires, but that's probably for a very very small percentage of loyal Acura customers who just MUST have an Acura. Its probably not the best choice if you want more of a sports car mostly for weekend spirited driving. I'd take a 335 any day. Every car has it's sweet spot. This cars sweet spot is the FWD Tech version. That's what they will sell most of because the majority attracted to that car will be looking for a sporty LOOKING car but one that is actually not so sporty and instead comfortable and upscale for daily commuting on highways with an AT transmission
Old 08-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by smarty666
^ what is even more annoying is the people who complain about the people complaining about SSFTSX and people like me who point out the people who are complaining about the complainers who complain about SSFTSX!

I just kid man!
I guess that would be us
Old 08-23-2010, 09:54 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

I can say that SSFTSX NEVER seems to notice being the object on this thread of critics and mockeries from many.
He continues all the time, every day, on his solitary road with his strange assertions (maybe he is a robot?) and nothing seems really to bother him.
Just a fob with nothing better to do.
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
Very true and I think that's what gets to members as he shows no emotion just mindless robotic monotone posts.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666

I just kid man!
Which is why getting rid of the root of the problem (you know who) would fix that.

Duhhhh....
Old 08-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Senior Moderator

That makes more sense now. I can understand and agree with that. When you simply posted: "The TL is overpriced the way it is" I assumed you were talking about average value for the average car buyer. That I have a hard time buying.

To me you are obviously not the average car buyer and probably NOT a 4G TL buyer. I realize they sell it with a 6MT and HP tires, but that's probably for a very very small percentage of loyal Acura customers who just MUST have an Acura. Its probably not the best choice if you want more of a sports car mostly for weekend spirited driving. I'd take a 335 any day. Every car has it's sweet spot. This cars sweet spot is the FWD Tech version. That's what they will sell most of because the majority attracted to that car will be looking for a sporty LOOKING car but one that is actually not so sporty and instead comfortable and upscale for daily commuting on highways with an AT transmission
like i said i should have said fully loaded.

IF the looks were different and they offered a better engine i "Might" look at the 4g. But they dont so i wont...

The wife on the other hand likes it. I think i need to get her some glasses.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Go Big Blue!

like i said i should have said fully loaded.

IF the looks were different and they offered a better engine i "Might" look at the 4g. But they dont so i wont...

The wife on the other hand likes it. I think i need to get her some glasses.
Forget it buddy. It's a guy/girl thing, their priorities are very different, and you're not going to win. You'll want to know how many cylinders it has, your wife probably wants to know how many air bags it has. First thing you are going to reach for when you first sit in a car is the stick to check its position and feel. First thing you're wife is going to reach for is the visor to check the vanity mirror and if it has a light
Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

^ that sounds like us when we went to Infiniti to look at the G lol
Old 08-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Forget it buddy. It's a guy/girl thing, their priorities are very different, and you're not going to win. You'll want to know how many cylinders it has, your wife probably wants to know how many air bags it has. First thing you are going to reach for when you first sit in a car is the stick to check its position and feel. First thing you're wife is going to reach for is the visor to check the vanity mirror and if it has a light
Actually she just wants to know if the kid seat will fit in the middle (which it wont with me in the car, not many cars would with me either)
I have my criteria of what "she" needs in a car (she doesnt care about air bags and crash ratings, she has no clue and leaves that up to me. After all, She rides in my TL with no air bags. I like the TL's SH-AWD and the looks of the interior but thats about it. I dont even remember how well i fit in it, thats how little time i spent with the car.
In the end she will probably end up with the A8 or Q7 as thats what I will buy her.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:27 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

A8? Damn baller unless you're grabbing something used.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
In the end she will probably end up with the A8 or Q7 as thats what I will buy her.

The TL is over priced and you're considering an A8? I'm not saying they are comparable in any way but A8's drop value faster than any car I know of. They are a good deal in the used market but I would never consider a 80K+ that sells in the low 20's when they are 5 years old. In 5 years a TL didn't cost you $10K+ per year in depreciation.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
Mmm...A8.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
A8? Damn baller unless you're grabbing something used.
used low mileage can be had for a reasonable price

Originally Posted by black label
The TL is over priced and you're considering an A8? I'm not saying they are comparable in any way but A8's drop value faster than any car I know of. They are a good deal in the used market but I would never consider a 80K+ that sells in the low 20's when they are 5 years old. In 5 years a TL didn't cost you $10K+ per year in depreciation.
I would never look at one new. Used yes. As for resale i dont care a whole lot. In the 5 years i would most likely own it i would probably put 100k miles on it.

I would love to get another acura, but they have NOTHING that fits my tastes or needs. TL, No, the styling is just to hard to get past. Not to mention i am still sour about the trans problems on the 2g. MDX LOVE IT, Liked the way it rode, and looked (the grill could use some work but its not as bad as the TL) BUT its useless in size. I swear my TL has a larger back seat. With me driving the MDX a kid would have a hard time sitting behind me. WTF. Not to mention the rear facing car seat only fits back there with a 13 year old driving) RL, NO (though our dealer has one that has been sitting there so long they have knocked 10k off the sticker to help get rid of it) The rest of the lineup, No, dont really fit in the rest of them. (another WTF, who are they building these things for MIDGETS?)

I spent the last day looking at vehicles and test driving as my TL is in need of repair "again" and the wife needs a new vehicle as well. Sadly Im torn between the Genesis sedan, Buick Enclave and Q7 (A8 if i can find one in the color the wife likes and for the right price)

Last edited by fsttyms1; 08-24-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Seriously, can we close this thread already and open it when actual news get posted? Every day I check this thread, and there's no news to read, just cantankerous opinions about dead horses. Moving on.

Oh wait, there's a discussion about the A8? Hang on, anyone like the new A8 design? Seems to me that it's suffering from early onset of sad face disease.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

I spent the last day looking at vehicles and test driving as my TL is in need of repair "again" and the wife needs a new vehicle as well. Sadly Im torn between the Genesis sedan, Buick Enclave and Q7 (A8 if i can find one in the color the wife likes and for the right price)
My wife loves the curvy Enclave and the luxurious Q7. You can't lose with either. Though I would prolly go with the Enclave for longevity in the reliability department.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AsianRage
My wife loves the curvy Enclave and the luxurious Q7. You can't lose with either. Though I would prolly go with the Enclave for longevity in the reliability department.
And is why im looking at it.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

And is why im looking at it.
At the Enclave? Do you know if there's a way to order the car with the color matched lower cladding? Seems like two tone is the only option for the car.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator

At the Enclave? Do you know if there's a way to order the car with the color matched lower cladding? Seems like two tone is the only option for the car.
Yes. The Enclave. I think its only 2 tone. I thought about that myself. Though its something i could remedy in a weekend in my garage for about 200 bucks and my spray gun
Old 08-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Yes. The Enclave. I think its only 2 tone. I thought about that myself. Though its something i could remedy in a weekend in my garage for about 200 bucks and my spray gun
Yes, and you're the one who converted your autotragic TL into a manual one, right?

I honestly wouldn't mind having a two-tone delete option with the Enclave.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes, and you're the one who converted your autotragic TL into a manual one, right?

I honestly wouldn't mind having a two-tone delete option with the Enclave.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:00 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,581 Posts
It's a TL thread?

It's morphed into a Buick Enclave thread now
Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Speaking of color, I want the same shade that was on the concept/car show version. That's a gorgeous shade on the car. That and the White Diamond Tricoat.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News