Old 12-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
There is no reason a V8 couldn't be efficient
Old 12-01-2008, 07:53 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,150 Likes on 821 Posts
A 7-speed or 8-speed transmission will definitely make the V8 more efficient (and the car faster). But with a 5-speed, forget it.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:20 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
There is no reason a V8 couldn't be efficient
Originally Posted by Jackygor
mother effin

I'm sorry though but GM's LS series is hands down the best compromise (if you can call it that) between power and efficiency. I'm sorry but as great of an engine maker as Honda is, the day that they make a 450+ lb/ft V8 that averages 20 mpg is the day that hell freezes over.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
. I'm sorry but as great of an engine maker as Honda is, the day that they make a 450+ lb/ft V8 that averages 20 mpg is the day that hell freezes over.
Their V6 diesel should have those kinds of tq numbers and 20MPG should be very easy to get.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:10 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Their V6 diesel should have those kinds of tq numbers and 20MPG should be very easy to get.
Good point! Why don't they bring it over here.....
Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^ The point being that with a V8, RWD was a guarantee.

...and the RWD platform would have eventually moved down to the V6 vehicles in the line-up.

Without a V8, Acura had no reason to to produce a RWD platform.
why a guarantee?
Audi's V8, V10 and V12 are not RWD platforms at the moment if I'm correct...

the RWD platform works great and for 4cy as for 6cy cars and so on. BMW learns.
And I don't think that with the new 3 litres engines of Infiniti, BMW and Audi (326 and 330 hp of max. output, and very good torque) you miss so much a V8 engine.
I feel that we miss more a V6 Turbo diesel for the Acura range SUV's than a V8.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:38 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by krio
why a guarantee?

And I don't think that with the new 3 litres engines of Infiniti, BMW and Audi (326 and 330 hp of max. output, and very good torque) you miss so much a V8 engine.
It's a guarantee because there is now way they are gonna put the V8 over FWD. PERIOD.

RWD is the answer. Sure it could also be AWD...but hopefully with RW bias.
Not to mention cost wise there would probably have been AWD models and RWD models....just like Merc, BMW, Infiniti..etc.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:21 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As shown in several articles about the impact of the economic crisis on the auto industry, everyone is scrambling to build cars that can sell and sustain their lifeline. Honda's Nov. sales dropped 30%, like everyone else.

The window of opportunity for V8s to make profit for Honda/Acura has long passed. Nobody is going to sell many cars with V8s these days.

And I don't think fuel cell is the answer for the future either. Maybe the MINI E?
Old 12-02-2008, 02:56 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by TMQ
As shown in several articles about the impact of the economic crisis on the auto industry, everyone is scrambling to build cars that can sell and sustain their lifeline. Honda's Nov. sales dropped 30%, like everyone else.

The window of opportunity for V8s to make profit for Honda/Acura has long passed. Nobody is going to sell many cars with V8s these days.

And I don't think fuel cell is the answer for the future either. Maybe the MINI E?
No doubt....Honda/Acura's chances at a V8 past them by over a decade ago.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:08 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by krio
why a guarantee?

You don't have the full picture. Audi is always being let down by not having a dedicated RWD platform, just like Acura. But Audi is a step ahead of Acura by offering V8 and V10 engines, as well as image-boosting S- and RS- divisions of ultra-fast cars.

Without RWD, Audi is forced to use AWD in pairing with the high-power V6, V8, and V10 engines. The full potential of these AWD Audi's is seriously handicapped by the heavy AWD hardware and extra gearing loss, when being driven in the dry. This point was mentioned again and again in comparison reports with most other RWD competitors.

However, they also mentioned that the AWD Audi's will run rings around these RWD cars in the wet and on snow. But who, in the right mind, would race their AWD cars in the wet and on snow ?
Old 12-02-2008, 08:27 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 836 Likes on 520 Posts
lol Audi didn't have an AWD system like the one on the GTR..or...Evo..or STi...lol jk man.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:21 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by iforyou
lol Audi didn't have an AWD system like the one on the GTR..or...Evo..or STi...lol jk man.
The Quattro AWD on the R8 and TT is good enough.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:06 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 836 Likes on 520 Posts
Yea.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Update

Acura Aims to Deliver Big League Luxury
Alysha Webb
Automotive News
December 8, 2008 - 12:01 am ET

LOS ANGELES — Honda's U.S. executives have pledged for years to make Acura a top-tier luxury brand, on par with Lexus, Mercedes and BMW. Dealer Dave Conant is gambling $20 million that this time Honda will succeed.

That's how much Conant spent to upgrade his Acura dealership in suburban Los Angeles. The renovated store opened in May.

"We invested in this facility on the bet they really mean it,"
Conant told Automotive News.

Jeff Conrad
, vice president of American Honda Motor Co.'s Acura division, concedes that dealers' expectations are high. He says Acura is working to improve its vehicles, marketing and retail network. But achieving those goals will take time, he warns.

"Every product we launch becomes more of a Tier 1 product." Conrad says. "But you don't just snap your fingers and do it overnight. It is a long-term effort."

The redesigned 2009 Acura TL, a compact sedan that emerged from the brand's new design center in Torrance, Calif., is competitive with better-selling luxury models in styling and performance, Conrad says.

The TL has a 3.5-liter, V-6 engine and offers all-wheel drive as an option. It went on sale this fall with a base sticker price of $34,955, including shipping.

Acura dealers say they like the revamped TL. But T.Y. Lai, COO of the western region for DCH Auto Group, says sales of the redesigned model have been disappointing.

"We don't consider it luxury yet," says Lai, whose company owns four U.S. Acura dealerships. "I don't think the buyer considers it luxury."

Conrad says the marketing launch for the redesigned TL is Acura's most expensive campaign. He declined to disclose its budget.

RPA, American Honda's advertising agency, created an Acura division last year. The TL campaign is the first for the new unit. Its tag line: "The most powerful Acura ever built."

Wanted: Broader lineup

Acura needs a wider selection of products, Lai says. The brand offers models in five market segments. Lai complains the brand is "not even considering a hybrid."

Conrad says Acura will launch a "new or reskinned" vehicle every year for the "foreseeable future." He declined to discuss which segments Acura plans to enter.

Acura must offer vehicles in higher-priced segments if it wants to be considered a Tier 1 luxury brand, says Tom Libby, senior director of industry analysis at J.D. Power and Associates.

Such vehicles would "contribute to the reputation for luxury," Libby says. Acura especially needs to compete in the segment that includes the Mercedes E class, BMW 5 series, Audi A6 and Infiniti M series, he says.

A replacement for Acura's most expensive model, the $46,000 Acura RL, is due in 2010. Dealers say Acura must offer buyers a V-8 engine as an option if the car is to be considered Tier 1.

"To elevate the brand, they gotta have it,"
says Mark McKellop, general manager of Acura of Mission Viejo in suburban Los Angeles.

In April, Acura told U.S. dealers that the brand plans to bring out a V-8 within 18 months. In October, Honda Motor Co. CEO Takeo Fukui said that Acura would offer a V-8, but he did not suggest a timetable.

Acura has formed a 25-person team of executives to define how it will achieve Tier 1 luxury status. John Mendel, executive vice president of automobile operations at American Honda, heads the team.

Conrad says the brand is forming Acura University, which will offer personal and online training for dealership sales, service and finance employees.

Acura also is showing dealers a computer simulation of what it wants its dealerships to look like, Conrad says. Among the features the brand seeks: larger and fancier facilities for sales, service, vehicle delivery and customer reception. A few Acura dealerships, such as Conant's upgraded store, already reflect that vision.

Conrad declined to discuss how much Acura expects its dealers to spend to improve their stores. He concedes dealers are likely to resist spending demands in a down market. But he says: "We are going to ask them to invest just as we are investing."

Too far too fast?

Some dealers warn Acura against trying to step up in class too quickly.

"They immediately say they want to be like BMW, like Mercedes, like Lexus," says John Hawkins, president of Great Metro Autogroup, a suburban Los Angeles dealership group that includes an Acura store. Instead, Hawkins says, Acura should aim first to "compare themselves with Infiniti and Audi."

Hawkins also calls Acura's management too "process-driven," lacking "bold, imaginative" leadership.

"There's not a Bob Lutz over there," he says. "There's not a Jim Press."

DCH's Lai offers a more measured appraisal of Acura executives.

"This will not be a smooth road," he says. "But at least they are headed in the right direction."

Old 12-09-2008, 08:41 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I've run out of things to say about this whole process. (or lack thereof)

But I'll try anyway.

- RWD platform (stop basing everything off the Accord)
- Dual Clutch Trannies
- Forced Induction if there won't be a V8
- replacement for the J (see forced induction)

When I hear the new SC V6 in the Audi S4 has equal or more power than the old V8 yet gets 27% better MPG and uses a cutting edge 7 speed dual clutch tranny I wonder what the hell Acura is doing.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:48 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the TL is a compact sedan?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
compacted sales?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:11 AM

^then perhaps.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:34 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Acura Aims to Deliver Big League Luxury....eh?

Brilliant!!! What better timing...just in time for the world wide implosion of the auto industry!

Acura Advance
Old 12-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I've run out of things to say about this whole process. (or lack thereof)

But I'll try anyway.

- RWD platform (stop basing everything off the Accord)
- Dual Clutch Trannies
- Forced Induction if there won't be a V8
- replacement for the J (see forced induction)

When I hear the new SC V6 in the Audi S4 has equal or more power than the old V8 yet gets 27% better MPG and uses a cutting edge 7 speed dual clutch tranny I wonder what the hell Acura is doing.
fixed.
turbo, biturbo, supercharged, turbo diesel V6, give us one of these engines.
The new big, fat BMW 7 got the revisited great 3.0 biturbo with 327 hp and a lot of Nm... and we get 5.9 sec. to 100 km/h. Do we really need more?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Race Director

Infiniti is more a luxury brand now than Acura is. They give us RWD, AWD, and V8. At least they listen. They just need to have a TSX competitor.

Acura isn't giving what consumers want except for SH-AWD on the TL.

-Ugly plenum grilles
-FWD based vehicles
-no V8
-no diesel

I guess the only thing they are doing right is offering everything standard rather than expensive options for the price you pay.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mokos23
Infiniti is more a luxury brand now than Acura is. They give us RWD, AWD, and V8. At least they listen. They just need to have a TSX competitor.

Acura isn't giving what consumers want except for SH-AWD on the TL.

-Ugly plenum grilles
-FWD based vehicles
-no V8
-no diesel

I guess the only thing they are doing right is offering everything standard rather than expensive options for the price you pay.
agree that infiniti has been ahead of acura for awhile now.

but a lot of customers actually don't like have everything standard and prefer to choose their options.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:41 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

but a lot of customers actually don't like have everything standard and prefer to choose their options.
Like Merc, BMW, Audi, Lexus.
Options FTW
Old 12-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't know if Infiniti wants to bring in people that way ... I know MB / BMW / Lexus have their 'entry level' vehicle but the G sedan is 'entry level' enough and has the right options (AWD, RWD, 3.7L V6, etc) that most 'luxury' buyers are looking for. And they definitely fixed the interior. M model competes with E class / 5 series, and perhaps they'll bring a new "Q" to compete with the S-class / 7-series. (Can we say 4-door GT-R? Not sure the economic climate will green light such an idea ... but at least we can dream ...)

One thing Acura is definitely missing ... a COUPE. And the G coupe is probably the 'nicest' one from Japan. (Note: MX-5 is a roadster rather than a coupe, IMHO -- but that is great for what it is...) Too much talk about NSX replacement ... but no results.

Acura has wasted too many resources on CUV / SUVs. They need to go back to what they're good at -- making cars. But they need to find someone who has an eye for design. The front grill has got to go!! I've left Acura after my wife's '07 TSX (she loves her car but she won't let me mod it ... )... I'll just wait for now.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:28 PM

Old 12-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
How can someone call themselves an automotive journalist and get such basic facts wrong?

I stopped reading right after that.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
can we quit with the 4 door coupe crap? a coupe has TWO DOORS...........

Acura wants to compete with the big boys? get rid of the FWD cars and make some RWD cars.....or AWD and beat Audi at their own game
Old 12-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Race Director

oops, the last sentence i meant everything standard referred to Acura, not Infiniti.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:18 AM

oops, the last sentence i meant everything standard referred to Acura, not Infiniti.
yea i know. and i'm saying even that's not necessarily a good thing.

there are a lot of customers that are turned off by acura offering everything standard and not being able to pick and choose their options like lexus, bmw, etc.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

there are a lot of customers that are turned off by acura offering everything standard and not being able to pick and choose their options like lexus, bmw, etc.
I am. I want to pick my options.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
yea i know. and i'm saying even that's not necessarily a good thing.

!!!!!!!

Offering a standard list of options is nice, but it's also one of the reasons that it's not looked at as a luxury carmaker. All one has to do is look at Merc, BMW, Audi and see how many options they offer buyers when purchasing a car. Lexus and Infiniti also offers a decent amount of options as well.

This was one of a few reasons I decided not to go with Acura when we picked up our new car earlier this year.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by biker
How can someone call themselves an automotive journalist and get such basic facts wrong?

I stopped reading right after that.

I stopped reading after this gem

"The redesigned 2009 Acura TL, a compact sedan that emerged from the brand's new design center in Torrance, Calif., is competitive with better-selling luxury models in styling and performance, Conrad says."

I've looked at it 1000 different ways and I still think that Homer Simpson might be responsible for the styling..
Old 12-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Race Director

Blame this arrogant idiot for the styling of the 09 TL

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPAM3GJODkM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPAM3GJODkM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 12-12-2008, 05:58 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^worthless team working @ acura R&D
Old 12-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
wow do i hate how that guy talks.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 719 Likes on 435 Posts
He's Acura's Bangle.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:07 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
He's Acura's Bangle.
If only that were true.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

I wish they had killed this car instead and invested the resources in the NSX
Old 12-17-2008, 03:42 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
He's Acura's Bangle.
except other auto makers copied bangle's designs. i dont think anyone is going to copy the beak
Old 12-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Race Director

Ok, let me repost, this is the real person responsible for designing the new TL

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2b_8pcleJ4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L2b_8pcleJ4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Quick Reply: Acura: Development and Technology News