TLX Type S release thread; prices, trims and availability

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SRB-TL
Moved it up to tonight! Going in few hours to drive it. The only shitty thing is, Morton Grove Acura is in Skokie/Morton Grove area; it will be absolutely horrendous traffic around 5pm when I go there.
What did you think? I drove it last night and loved it. Handled amazing well for how large it is. Wife loved it as well!
Old 06-22-2021, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts

California Dealer Has 16 Brand-New Dodge Demons at More Than 2X MSRP

2X + MSRP Dodge Demon

Greed is strong with Huntington Beach Dodge.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:07 PM
®

Received 474 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

California Dealer Has 16 Brand-New Dodge Demons at More Than 2X MSRP

2X + MSRP Dodge Demon

Greed is strong with Huntington Beach Dodge.
Dodge told any dealer who charger $1 over MSRP will never get another Demon or Hellcat ever again. This dealer obviously did some math and figured they're better off making a huge initial order of 16 of them and sell them at 2x MSRP. That is way more than they'll ever make on any future Hellcat sold at MSRP where margins are low. 16 x 120K is $2M. They are willing to give up any future allocations for $2M in profit.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
The mark-ups and juvenile styling, inside and out, are the biggest reasons I never even considered the CTR. You could get a Golf R for cheaper that's more livable day-to-day and has 90% of the performance. Biggest problem with those were the carbon build-up issues and ... well, VW. That being said, those CTRs shouldn't be underestimated. Sure, in stock for they're not much to write home about, but with FBO + tune on pump gas, they're making high-300 to low-400 wHP. Those numbers are going to make a TLX Type-S look silly, so long as you're not going from a dig, as the FWD already has issues putting the power down in stock form. Even with a tune, I doubt the TLX-S will be a match, thanks mostly to its portly stature coming in at 4,150lbs to the CTR's 3,121lbs. Throw some ethanol mixes in there and you're going to surprise a lot of cars.

Obviously, the Type-S isn't all about speed. You get a much nicer vehicle that's far more pleasant to drive about day-to-day, with at least the front passengers being more comfortable. Also, you won't have delinquents with gross upper lip hair that they pass for "facial hair" coming up to you and asking about your car ... so that's a massive plus. Plus, with retarded ADM + mod costs, you're basically at what a Type-S costs anyways.

What they do with the new Civic is going to be interesting. A lot of rags chastised the CTR for its over-the-top styling, so Honda may pull it back. Even if it was functional, you can still do it without looking like a goober. Honestly, I wish they'd throw the 2.0T in the Si. I really don't get that car. You throw the 1.5T in there, charge $25k to start and get pulled on by a 2.0T Accord Sport that is a better daily car in every way. "But handling, brooo." Yea, ok, with your crappy mid-tier All-Seasons. Before the pandemic, a buddy's sister was quoted just over $29k OTD for a 2.0T Accord Sport. I dunno, different strokes, I guess. What I wish they'd do is simply put that same 2.0T from the Accord in the Civic Si. 252HP to the CTR's underrated 301HP and obviously, it's nowhere near as track focused, not that many people actually take their CTR's to the track, and you'd keep from stepping on the CTR's toes. You'd have a legitimate GTI killer with that, rather than the GTI eating the Si for lunch every which way. And we don't get it here in NA, but VW has their Golf ClubSport, which slots between the Golf R and GTI, but it's basically a Golf R with FWD only.

The Si would then be the car to have for people looking to mod, and demand for the CTR would wane bringing ADM to a halt. Tho, who knows if the Si would then start commanding ridiculous ADM. But, the biggest deterrent to it getting too out of hand would be the big brother CTR, which if you're eclipsing that sticker price, you're simply going to have people going for that. Or, because Honda fanboys are literally the dumbest, mouth-breathingest circle of car enthusiasts, both would command ADM. Yea ... it would probably be that ...
The following users liked this post:
loki (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Dodge told any dealer who charger $1 over MSRP will never get another Demon or Hellcat ever again. This dealer obviously did some math and figured they're better off making a huge initial order of 16 of them and sell them at 2x MSRP. That is way more than they'll ever make on any future Hellcat sold at MSRP where margins are low. 16 x 120K is $2M. They are willing to give up any future allocations for $2M in profit.
Think they are looking for $200,000 a unit. Thing is what can anyone do with the cars? Pose at the drive-in? Can't race them, no traction on the street & no cage for NHRA drags where you could run slicks. On the beach run see them creeping along in the inside lane to save gas. Maybe a 20 year collectable that will turn into a million dollar car?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-22-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:46 PM
®

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
The mark-ups and juvenile styling, inside and out, are the biggest reasons I never even considered the CTR. You could get a Golf R for cheaper that's more livable day-to-day and has 90% of the performance. Biggest problem with those were the carbon build-up issues and ... well, VW. That being said, those CTRs shouldn't be underestimated. Sure, in stock for they're not much to write home about, but with FBO + tune on pump gas, they're making high-300 to low-400 wHP. Those numbers are going to make a TLX Type-S look silly, so long as you're not going from a dig, as the FWD already has issues putting the power down in stock form. Even with a tune, I doubt the TLX-S will be a match, thanks mostly to its portly stature coming in at 4,150lbs to the CTR's 3,121lbs. Throw some ethanol mixes in there and you're going to surprise a lot of cars.

Obviously, the Type-S isn't all about speed. You get a much nicer vehicle that's far more pleasant to drive about day-to-day, with at least the front passengers being more comfortable. Also, you won't have delinquents with gross upper lip hair that they pass for "facial hair" coming up to you and asking about your car ... so that's a massive plus. Plus, with retarded ADM + mod costs, you're basically at what a Type-S costs anyways.

What they do with the new Civic is going to be interesting. A lot of rags chastised the CTR for its over-the-top styling, so Honda may pull it back. Even if it was functional, you can still do it without looking like a goober. Honestly, I wish they'd throw the 2.0T in the Si. I really don't get that car. You throw the 1.5T in there, charge $25k to start and get pulled on by a 2.0T Accord Sport that is a better daily car in every way. "But handling, brooo." Yea, ok, with your crappy mid-tier All-Seasons. Before the pandemic, a buddy's sister was quoted just over $29k OTD for a 2.0T Accord Sport. I dunno, different strokes, I guess. What I wish they'd do is simply put that same 2.0T from the Accord in the Civic Si. 252HP to the CTR's underrated 301HP and obviously, it's nowhere near as track focused, not that many people actually take their CTR's to the track, and you'd keep from stepping on the CTR's toes. You'd have a legitimate GTI killer with that, rather than the GTI eating the Si for lunch every which way. And we don't get it here in NA, but VW has their Golf ClubSport, which slots between the Golf R and GTI, but it's basically a Golf R with FWD only.

The Si would then be the car to have for people looking to mod, and demand for the CTR would wane bringing ADM to a halt. Tho, who knows if the Si would then start commanding ridiculous ADM. But, the biggest deterrent to it getting too out of hand would be the big brother CTR, which if you're eclipsing that sticker price, you're simply going to have people going for that. Or, because Honda fanboys are literally the dumbest, mouth-breathingest circle of car enthusiasts, both would command ADM. Yea ... it would probably be that ...
Spot on! I got my 2019 2.0T 6MT for $28K brand new (2 miles on odometer). I did some simple upgrades (I don't like using word "mods", it's infantile). I installed Acuity Stage 2 on the shifter and after driving it for a year, sitting in a Civic Type R feels like the worst shifter in the world (CTR). Words can't describe what Acuity does for 6MT. It literally transformed it into an S2000 shifter. Second, I did front and back Eibach anti-roll bars. Car is now extremely planted and has zero lean on ramps or in corners. It also got rid of at twitch at highway speeds. I did few other things, like red stitched flat bottom steering wheel that is custom made out of OEM wheel and I did KN intake + Borla catback exhaust. My car looks completely stock, zero rice, mature looking sedan but it has been modified discreetly to be a very competent touring car. Civic Si is an embarrassment in every way.
Shadow2056 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 03:51 PM
®

"Here is our 2022 Acura TLX Type S"... Man do I love salesman and their knowledge...
Old 06-22-2021, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by BOWA41
What did you think? I drove it last night and loved it. Handled amazing well for how large it is. Wife loved it as well!
Please share more details about your impressions after driving the Type S.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Test drove the Type-S yesterday. Dealer got the demo in white. AMAZING handling. Performance was better than I expected with rolls, dead stop, cornering etc. I currently have the 21 TLX A Spec...night and day difference.
They are selling it at MSRP. No discount, no mark up.

I think a lot of people need to test drive the car before really being disappointed with the numbers.

My only compliant is not including a HUD. I personally love HUDs. Or atleast have the option to spec it. Next year will be a much better year I think to buy one.

Last edited by Sclyzed; 06-22-2021 at 04:30 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Sclyzed:
a35tl (06-22-2021), BBRL (06-27-2021), BOWA41 (06-22-2021), Camaro194 (06-22-2021), F23A4 (06-22-2021), Shadow2056 (06-22-2021), WTF.Acura (06-22-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-22-2021, 06:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl
Please share more details about your impressions after driving the Type S.
I absolutely loved driving the Type S last night and can't wait for mine to arrive.

Overall impressions are that it's a rock solid vehicle. It was quicker than I expected and handling was exceptional. There was definitely some turbo lag. My wife even said something and she's never been in a turbo car before. Upshifting was smooth. Downshifting in Sport+ needs some work in my opinion. The brakes were super sensitive but by the end of the drive I was used to them. The car feels great on the road even in Sport+ but in comfort it was a nice soft ride. Agree with other posts, the sound is amazing. The car looks amazing person. Honestly I don't think the pictures do it justice. I like it better than my neighbors brand-new S4 and I think it's faster.

It was my first time using the touchpad. It's going to take some getting used to. I found myself wanting to touch the screen multiple times because that's how my wife's Grand Cherokee is.

Overall, I think everyone should go drive it. I think it's going to surprise a lot of haters. LOL!
The following 7 users liked this post by BOWA41:
a35tl (06-22-2021), BBRL (06-27-2021), Camaro194 (06-22-2021), Colorado Guy AF Ret. (06-27-2021), JDM_DOHC_SiR (06-22-2021), Shadow2056 (06-22-2021), WTF.Acura (06-22-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-22-2021, 07:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 596 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Sclyzed
Test drove the Type-S yesterday. Dealer got the demo in white. AMAZING handling. Performance was better than I expected with rolls, dead stop, cornering etc. I currently have the 21 TLX A Spec...night and day difference.

I think a lot of people need to test drive the car before really being disappointed with the numbers.

My only compliant is not including a HUD. I personally love HUDs. Or at least have the option to spec it. Next year will be a much better year I think to buy one.

Been saying this since the numbers came out. A lot of people complained about the numbers but never drove the car. Now time to actually go out and drive it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Shadow2056:
BOWA41 (06-22-2021), Camaro194 (06-22-2021), Colorado Guy AF Ret. (06-27-2021), WTF.Acura (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts

My only compliant is not including a HUD. I personally love HUDs. Or atleast have the option to spec it. Next year will be a much better year I think to buy one.
I also have a 21 A-Spec (albeit FWD w/ Ktuner stage 2). How different was your experience with the Type S (versus the A-Spec)?

Old 06-22-2021, 08:07 PM
®

Originally Posted by Shadow2056
Been saying this since the numbers came out. A lot of people complained about the numbers but never drove the car. Now time to actually go out and drive it.
Just got back from my test drive. I second the above. The car is extremely competent. Transmission in sport+ can be mistaken for PDK. Shifts are lightning quick. Overall, the car is spot on and exactly as it should be. The dealer did flip the script and said $10K markup after saying there wouldn't be one. But on the positive note, test drive was as promised, no bs, no pressure, just drive and have fun. Very, very good sports car.
The following 11 users liked this post by loki:
a35tl (06-22-2021), BOWA41 (06-23-2021), Camaro194 (06-22-2021), DubPK (06-22-2021), ELIN (06-23-2021), F23A4 (06-22-2021), Honda430 (06-23-2021), JDM_DOHC_SiR (06-22-2021), leomio2.0 (06-22-2021), neuronbob (06-22-2021), WTF.Acura (06-22-2021) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-22-2021, 08:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Just got back from my test drive. I second the above. The car is extremely competent. Transmission in sport+ can be mistaken for PDK. Shifts are lightning quick. Overall, the car is spot on and exactly as it should be. The dealer did flip the script and said $10K markup after saying there wouldn't be one. But on the positive note, test drive was as promised, no bs, no pressure, just drive and have fun. Very, very good sports car.
Glad you got to drive it. $10k ADM is no bueno, though. Keep your Accord, it's got nice upgrades on it . I'm going to attempt a test drive at one of the Cleveland dealers soon.
loki (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
The mark up is BS but glad you enjoyed the drive. Think it's worth full MSRP for those considering purchasing some of the first batch?
The following 2 users liked this post by DubPK:
BBRL (06-27-2021), loki (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Glad to hear ... minus the bait & switch. Dealers are such scumbags. I was going to email a bunch tonight to see if they were selling for sticker, but I guess it doesn't mean anything, seeing as sales people at dealers are still as slimy as ever.
loki (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 10:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I'm pretty much sold on the Type S, pending my own personal test drive of course, but will likely wait about a year to purchase. I will under no circumstances pay additional dealer markup. I will pay MSRP but at this point will wait for the '22s to come out and let them work out those first year bugs. But I am very excited about the car and think it looks amazing. The Tiger Eye Pearl with the Orchid interior has really grown on me. I need to see it in person first. Anyone else who test drives the Type S, please share your experiences here.
The following 2 users liked this post by a35tl:
F23A4 (06-23-2021), NBP04TL4ME (06-23-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 11:25 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
I'm pretty much sold on the Type S, pending my own personal test drive of course, but will likely wait about a year to purchase. I will under no circumstances pay additional dealer markup. I will pay MSRP but at this point will wait for the '22s to come out and let them work out those first year bugs. But I am very excited about the car and think it looks amazing. The Tiger Eye Pearl with the Orchid interior has really grown on me. I need to see it in person first. Anyone else who test drives the Type S, please share your experiences here.
I agree with you. Hopefully they can iron out the kinks and as well maybe add 360 camera 🙏🏽.
The following 3 users liked this post by djhtsx:
a35tl (06-23-2021), Mak P (06-22-2021), NBP04TL4ME (06-23-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Same, mine is coming in October if I don't back out after the test drive and as long as the dealer holds true to not a penny over MSRP as they have so far. Just needs to impress me in person. Hoping it's a bit soft and smooth in it's comfort settings (anyone tried yet?), a good fun car it's sport settings, and lastly because Acura made it an issue I need some time with the infotainment to be sure it's something I know I'll adjust to. Normally wouldn't judge a car tooo much over it's infotainment interface but since Acura has decided they need to be different just need to make sure it's not going to frustrate me to no end to own it long term, they really should've just done a touch screen but the true touch seems intuitive enough just need a good hour with it hands on to be sure.

Not too worried about model year differences between 21 and 22. The 21's are coming out so late it's extremely unlikely anything changes between October and November. Only thing that bothers me slightly is you get one in October it may be registered as a 2021 and get one in November and it will be 2022.
The following 2 users liked this post by DubPK:
a35tl (06-23-2021), ELIN (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 12:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
Glad to see a few haters converted to believers!
The following 4 users liked this post by sonyfever:
ELIN (06-23-2021), robnalex (06-23-2021), Tony Pac (06-23-2021), WTF.Acura (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 01:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by DubPK
Man and sadly the car appeals to those most likely to be unable to afford a $60k car, kids straight out of college or worse taking out extra student loans for a down payment or something during college and the dealers are just preying on them with mark up knowing they haven't learned much better yet. Taking out a thousand bucks for a down on a $60k hatch worth $30k with 600+ dollar payments no doubt.

Agree about the styling to, it just looks too much like a boy racer car from a fast and furious movie which unfortunately fuels the problem above. I'm fine with some flashiness or style, like the S in Tiger Eye is fine or an S4 in that awesome turbo blue but when we start talking gawdy body kits and giant damn wings count me out lol. Even when I was a younger man I couldn't stand that crap it's just over the top.
The tiger eye color (essentially fancy for Gold) is a boy racer color for sure and is as flash as it gets, all that missing is some fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror to complete the look. I think most would regret that choice. Gold is also the fastest depreciating color in a car you can buy for good reason, not many want it. I had the still night blue TLX aspec and regretted that choice as well mainly for too much flash and showing every little scratch, Still don't get why they don't have it in any shade of silver but have it in gold.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ELIN
This info may be easier to find and cleaner in its own thread!
DONE, and I made it a sticky. Excellent idea. Post your MSRP vs ADM leads in this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...thread-994637/
The following 7 users liked this post by neuronbob:
a35tl (06-23-2021), ELIN (06-23-2021), F23A4 (06-23-2021), JDM_DOHC_SiR (06-23-2021), mikedub88 (06-23-2021), NBP04TL4ME (06-23-2021), pyrodan007 (06-23-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-23-2021, 07:22 AM
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Same, mine is coming in October if I don't back out after the test drive and as long as the dealer holds true to not a penny over MSRP as they have so far. Just needs to impress me in person. Hoping it's a bit soft and smooth in it's comfort settings (anyone tried yet?), a good fun car it's sport settings, and lastly because Acura made it an issue I need some time with the infotainment to be sure it's something I know I'll adjust to. Normally wouldn't judge a car tooo much over it's infotainment interface but since Acura has decided they need to be different just need to make sure it's not going to frustrate me to no end to own it long term, they really should've just done a touch screen but the true touch seems intuitive enough just need a good hour with it hands on to be sure.

Not too worried about model year differences between 21 and 22. The 21's are coming out so late it's extremely unlikely anything changes between October and November. Only thing that bothers me slightly is you get one in October it may be registered as a 2021 and get one in November and it will be 2022.
I have a 21 TLX and the info system is actually really easy to use and it's actually comfortable to use. You can just rest your hand and do what you want. Every reviewer says its not a track pad, but it can be used as one. It wont actually hit the selection unless you tap it, so you can actually move your finger all around the pad and it tracks it like a trackpad does. Personally find it easier to use it how its intended, just picture that pad as the screen and wherever you tap is what you choose.

I test drove the type-s 2 days ago. In comfort it is very smooth and soft ride, its very comfortable. Sport+ is very FUN. The cars handling is amazing. Very nice power too for what it is. Personally pretty bummed no HUD display though. As daily drivers, I love them. No 3d camera is whatever for me, but at 50k+, it should.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sclyzed:
a35tl (06-23-2021), BOWA41 (06-23-2021), WTF.Acura (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 09:34 AM
®

Originally Posted by sonyfever
You are rude...and wrong. I've been in Acura/Honda world for few decades. I lost connection to Acura in the past 5-6 years due to stinkers they were releasing where all they did was overpromise and underdeliver. Worse yet, even what they released they didn't stand behind and caused a lot of lost time, frustration, MONEY, trust in the brand and many people gave up their brand loyalty and went to competitors. For example, I had a 2015 TLX V6 SHAWD Tech. I needed new trans at 9K miles. I've driven in 30 different countries and have million+ miles under my belt and there's barely a situation or scenario that I wasn't in and didn't feel fear or panic. In that car, I had 3 close calls where I could have died. My last trip to dealer the car spent 5 days at the shop, only for them to say nothing's wrong. As I left the dealership, I was making a left-hand turn on a busy freeway and half way into the turn, transmission decided to act up and instead of downshifting, it upshifted and bogged down the car. Dump truck coming my way moved into another lane and flew past me as my car finally downshifted to get moving. This was 5 miles from the dealer who for 5 days said car is driving as it should and Acura refused to do anything saying "we already gave you one transmission". I didn't even go home from the incident, I called into work and drove straight to CarMax and unloaded the car for whatever they wanted to give me and called my dad to drive me home. I've owned 3 TL (1 2013 SHAWD), 1 TL-S, 1 CL 5MT (99) and 03 CLS 6MT, to name few (another 3-4)...and about 15 Hondas. And that's just me. That doesn't include all the people I brought over to the brand, including my at-the-time girlfriend, now wife (6 cars so far), in-laws (3 so far) best friend (4 so far), other friends (5 at least so far) and I don't even know how many more. Between me, my friends and family, at least 50 cars from Acura and Honda. So to you, I'm a "hater". To someone more rational and mature, I'm someone who's brought this brand probably million dollars worth of sales and service. I am absolutely, 100% within my right to call them out on anything and everything. You got a problem with that, that is exactly it, your problem.

Last edited by loki; 06-23-2021 at 09:36 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by loki:
04WDPSeDaN (06-23-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (06-23-2021), BOWA41 (06-23-2021), DubPK (06-23-2021), Kense (06-24-2021), pyrodan007 (06-23-2021), someguy11 (06-23-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-23-2021, 09:41 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
TBH, who gives a sh1t! At the end of the day, we are in a free market. For the 100th times, I am repeating myself: Go buy what you like! . if you like C300 over the TLX. God for you. if you don't like a brand, in this case Acura why waste your precious time arguing with others. Join a forum where you can share great ideas and enjoy other people's feedback.

We got here a few of the "True enthusiasts of North America" that are working day and night to make Acura better again They have one quality in common: Point all the negatives and ignore all the qualities! That said, can't wait to see the Q2 sales numbers, I am curious how many A4s are sold compared to the TLX. just joking. I don't care at all. if I cared, I would have been in Audizine and not Acurazine.
loki (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhb31
The tiger eye color (essentially fancy for Gold) is a boy racer color for sure and is as flash as it gets, all that missing is some fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror to complete the look. I think most would regret that choice. Gold is also the fastest depreciating color in a car you can buy for good reason, not many want it. I had the still night blue TLX aspec and regretted that choice as well mainly for too much flash and showing every little scratch, Still don't get why they don't have it in any shade of silver but have it in gold.
I think the gold you're thinking of that suffers from such terrible depreciation is that little old lady gold you used to see all the time in the late 90's early 2000's. Something like this: https://www.cars.com/research/chevro...bu-2006/specs/ I don't think a gold like that Tiger Eye is going to have the same 'ew old lady color no thanks' effect that all those Malibu's and such suffered from. I could be wrong but pretty sure that's the gold so heavily hated.

I don't think it's boy racer personally, color isn't inherently immature the way some god awful body kit or giant wing is but yeah it's flashy for sure, Flashy colors aren't for everyone!

I have a 21 TLX and the info system is actually really easy to use and it's actually comfortable to use. You can just rest your hand and do what you want. Every reviewer says its not a track pad, but it can be used as one. It wont actually hit the selection unless you tap it, so you can actually move your finger all around the pad and it tracks it like a trackpad does. Personally find it easier to use it how its intended, just picture that pad as the screen and wherever you tap is what you choose.

I test drove the type-s 2 days ago. In comfort it is very smooth and soft ride, its very comfortable. Sport+ is very FUN. The cars handling is amazing. Very nice power too for what it is. Personally pretty bummed no HUD display though. As daily drivers, I love them. No 3d camera is whatever for me, but at 50k+, it should.
Yeah I've watched a number of videos going over the infotainment, it looks intuitive enough to get used to but just need some hands on to be absolutely sure. Glad to hear it's pretty comfortable in it's comfort settings, it's nice to have fun in Sport+ when the road permits but when I'm just taking a friend out to dinner or something normal don't want the car to be outrageously bumpy or uncomfortable ride - that just wouldn't be a practical car for me.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:29 AM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
I think the gold you're thinking of that suffers from such terrible depreciation is that little old lady gold you used to see all the time in the late 90's early 2000's. Something like this: https://www.cars.com/research/chevro...bu-2006/specs/ I don't think a gold like that Tiger Eye is going to have the same 'ew old lady color no thanks' effect that all those Malibu's and such suffered from. I could be wrong but pretty sure that's the gold so heavily hated.
To me, Tiger Eye Pearl is more of an orange gold (it would definitely be at home in the Fast and Furious franchise). It's a hot color and makes it more "exotic," especially if paired with the Orchid interior!
Old 06-23-2021, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ELIN
To me, Tiger Eye Pearl is more of an orange gold (it would definitely be at home in the Fast and Furious franchise). It's a hot color and makes it more "exotic," especially if paired with the Orchid interior!
Yeah you're right it would fit in with one of those movies, I hate that about it in a way because I guess I could concede it has some of that boy racer tuner vibe going on but since the rest of car is pretty tastefully styled it doesn't scream over the top either. It's definitely a rare color, I've never seen such a gold on a car in person before, it's very unique and a bit exotic the way bright yellow on a Corvette or Supra is.

End of the day maybe it's a bit boy racer, maybe it won't resell quite as easily (although I think Tiger Eye and Apex blue are gonna be the sought after ones in the future but could be wrong), it's a bit flashy and will get a lot of looks but at the end of the day I can't get over how damn gorgeous the color is and if I go forward with buying one, it's the only color I think I'd be satisfied with even though I've owned black cars most of my life. Buying the car for me not for the guy buying it from me and couldn't care less what people think of me! Although there are limits, I'd feel silly driving a Tiger Eye Pearl Civic Type R (or a Civic Type R in general) personally lol but to each their own.
The following 3 users liked this post by DubPK:
a35tl (06-23-2021), BBRL (06-27-2021), ELIN (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

I like Pimp daddy Gold and look forward to seeing the term come back to Acurazine. It’s a great color, too.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
I'm not particularly loving that Tiger Eye paint scheme BUT it definitely makes this version of the TLX noticed as the Type S. When the time comes (in 35 months less pull ahead months), I'll probably opt for the Performance Red Pearl/Ebony once more. (Color combo grew on me fairly quickly.)
Old 06-23-2021, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
For our NC folks, it was a placeholder listing and has since been removed, but if it’s accurate than Acura Southpoint in Durham will not be charging markup on the Type-S.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
You are rude...and wrong. I've been in Acura/Honda world for few decades. I lost connection to Acura in the past 5-6 years due to stinkers they were releasing where all they did was overpromise and underdeliver. Worse yet, even what they released they didn't stand behind and caused a lot of lost time, frustration, MONEY, trust in the brand and many people gave up their brand loyalty and went to competitors. For example, I had a 2015 TLX V6 SHAWD Tech. I needed new trans at 9K miles. I've driven in 30 different countries and have million+ miles under my belt and there's barely a situation or scenario that I wasn't in and didn't feel fear or panic. In that car, I had 3 close calls where I could have died. My last trip to dealer the car spent 5 days at the shop, only for them to say nothing's wrong. As I left the dealership, I was making a left-hand turn on a busy freeway and half way into the turn, transmission decided to act up and instead of downshifting, it upshifted and bogged down the car. Dump truck coming my way moved into another lane and flew past me as my car finally downshifted to get moving. This was 5 miles from the dealer who for 5 days said car is driving as it should and Acura refused to do anything saying "we already gave you one transmission". I didn't even go home from the incident, I called into work and drove straight to CarMax and unloaded the car for whatever they wanted to give me and called my dad to drive me home. I've owned 3 TL (1 2013 SHAWD), 1 TL-S, 1 CL 5MT (99) and 03 CLS 6MT, to name few (another 3-4)...and about 15 Hondas. And that's just me. That doesn't include all the people I brought over to the brand, including my at-the-time girlfriend, now wife (6 cars so far), in-laws (3 so far) best friend (4 so far), other friends (5 at least so far) and I don't even know how many more. Between me, my friends and family, at least 50 cars from Acura and Honda. So to you, I'm a "hater". To someone more rational and mature, I'm someone who's brought this brand probably million dollars worth of sales and service. I am absolutely, 100% within my right to call them out on anything and everything. You got a problem with that, that is exactly it, your problem.
Sorry for rubbing you the wrong way. I have no problem that you don't like modern Acura, but like how Type-S drives. I am just glad to see people seeing the intrinsic virtues of Type-S. I hope you feel better after the long post....
Old 06-23-2021, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Don't know if this info is thorough enough to wager being placed in the new sticky thread, so I'll stick it here. Mods can move if they deem it worthy:

Long Island Acura Dealerships

Best:
Acura of Smithtown (Smithtown) - Promptly returned my email, stated they just received theirs this morning and are offering test drives, no strings attached. They would not discuss price.

Rallye Acura (Roslyn) - Exact same as above. Open to test drives, simply schedule and come take it for a spin. No discussion of price.

Middle of the Pack:
Acura of Bayshore (Bayshore)- They did not have a Type-S as of yet, but they did say they would place me on the list so I could be "one of the first" to get a call and test drive it. Then they gave me the sales pitch about coming in to discuss their 'purchase package' or however they phrased it. I took it as their nice way of saying, yes, there will be ADM.

Worst:
Acura of Huntington (Huntington)- Told me they should be getting theirs in any minute now and I should come down right now and buy it because it's first come first serve. With how "hot" the car is, it won't last long. Aren't dealers only receiving demos right now that won't be able to be sold for another few weeks? This grimy tactic really annoyed me. Absolutely no mention of if I could test drive it nor price ... I'd absolutely expect major mark-up from them.

Island Acura (Wantagh)- They didn't even tell me if they had it or not, test drive or price. They gave me a long-winded sales pitch and how I should come down. They "knew my time was valuable" but also wanted me to come to the showroom. They then sent me an email showing that the car I was interested in was available for immediate purchase. A '21 TLX A-Spec. I would avoid this one unless you wear a beater to weddings.

N/A:
Acura of Valley Stream (Lynbrook [wut?])- They never returned my email or called me back. I won't knock them for it. Who knows if the inquiry even went through.

Common theme, none would say if they were sticking to sticker price. My assumption is every single one is looking for ADM.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Don't know if this info is thorough enough to wager being placed in the new sticky thread, so I'll stick it here. Mods can move if they deem it worthy:

Long Island Acura Dealerships

Best:
Acura of Smithtown (Smithtown) - Promptly returned my email, stated they just received theirs this morning and are offering test drives, no strings attached. They would not discuss price.

Rallye Acura (Roslyn) - Exact same as above. Open to test drives, simply schedule and come take it for a spin. No discussion of price.

Middle of the Pack:
Acura of Bayshore (Bayshore)- They did not have a Type-S as of yet, but they did say they would place me on the list so I could be "one of the first" to get a call and test drive it. Then they gave me the sales pitch about coming in to discuss their 'purchase package' or however they phrased it. I took it as their nice way of saying, yes, there will be ADM.

Worst:
Acura of Huntington (Huntington)- Told me they should be getting theirs in any minute now and I should come down right now and buy it because it's first come first serve. With how "hot" the car is, it won't last long. Aren't dealers only receiving demos right now that won't be able to be sold for another few weeks? This grimy tactic really annoyed me. Absolutely no mention of if I could test drive it nor price ... I'd absolutely expect major mark-up from them.

Island Acura (Wantagh)- They didn't even tell me if they had it or not, test drive or price. They gave me a long-winded sales pitch and how I should come down. They "knew my time was valuable" but also wanted me to come to the showroom. They then sent me an email showing that the car I was interested in was available for immediate purchase. A '21 TLX A-Spec. I would avoid this one unless you wear a beater to weddings.

N/A:
Acura of Valley Stream (Lynbrook [wut?])- They never returned my email or called me back. I won't knock them for it. Who knows if the inquiry even went through.

Common theme, none would say if they were sticking to sticker price. My assumption is every single one is looking for ADM.
Still good info to have, and you went to a lot of effort. Go post in the sticky thread.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:27 PM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
Another test drive video. But more importantly, includes the optional carbon fiber trim. Don't like the gloss finish and will likely stick with the aluminum trim.

leomio2.0 (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 08:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah you're right it would fit in with one of those movies, I hate that about it in a way because I guess I could concede it has some of that boy racer tuner vibe going on but since the rest of car is pretty tastefully styled it doesn't scream over the top either. It's definitely a rare color, I've never seen such a gold on a car in person before, it's very unique and a bit exotic the way bright yellow on a Corvette or Supra is.

End of the day maybe it's a bit boy racer, maybe it won't resell quite as easily (although I think Tiger Eye and Apex blue are gonna be the sought after ones in the future but could be wrong), it's a bit flashy and will get a lot of looks but at the end of the day I can't get over how damn gorgeous the color is and if I go forward with buying one, it's the only color I think I'd be satisfied with even though I've owned black cars most of my life. Buying the car for me not for the guy buying it from me and couldn't care less what people think of me! Although there are
limits, I'd feel silly driving a Tiger Eye Pearl Civic Type R (or a Civic Type R in general) personally lol but to each their own.
Have some Honey Mustard that looks to be the same color.

BTW my old man bought GOLD cars going back to 1957 J2 Olds Super 88 2D hardtop. So GOLD & OLD has a very long history.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 06-23-2021 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Camaro194
Another test drive video. But more importantly, includes the optional carbon fiber trim. Don't like the gloss finish and will likely stick with the aluminum trim

https://youtu.be/hwG28ef9NwQ
I know people will just call me a hater, but that pull from ~40 to 80 at around 2:03 was very unimpressive. You can hear his foot bottoming out the accelerator, so you know he was giving it everything its got.

And then later on when he starts whack-a-moling the paddle shifters back and forth (and the transmission seemingly doing nothing) and then commenting about how well it corners. Lewis Hamilton better watch his rearview ...
loki (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 08:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Dealer markup

Because of delayed production Acura sent these units to dealers for demo purposes (more units are likely several weeks away). If a dealer sells their demo unit in less than 60 days, they are penalized by a reduction in allocation of Type S to their store. At least at first dealers are going to want every unit they can get their hands on. It would make sense to me that if someone REALLY wants one *now*, the dealer is essentially giving the customer the option of paying the “penalty” that Acura is imposing for selling their demo unit (in the form of lost future business/profits for the dealer)
Old 06-23-2021, 09:53 PM
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Anyone have Black Type S pics in the wild. Have not seen one yet.
Haven't seen any yet except for this one:

View this post on Instagram
JDM_DOHC_SiR (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 10:01 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts

My GM said that once they had a good idea when the '22 was going to hit the ground, many potential buyers decided to wait....make sense...to get a '22 in 2021. They would hit
the lot around mid to late Nov. it appears. Ordering in Sept, approx.

Quick Reply: TLX Type S release thread; prices, trims and availability