Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G-Lover
This concept looks beautiful for sure, particularly impressive is the fact that they reached such proportion with a East-West engine configuration (according to C&D)...if I have to nitpick, some lack of originality in few details, for example there is a bit too much of Audi A7 on the side view.

Tech specs better be confirmed by Acura....a sub 400 HP car would put it in the same league of a Kia Stinger and Kia got there already almost 2 years ago.....Acura has to realize that we live in a different world compared to the era when "close to the luxury top dogs for less money" was a viable strategy.

Acura management should actually propose a well over 400 HP Hybrid SH-AWD model as top trim especially for halo purposes.

Let's hope......
Interesting you want that. I thought most people would flip hearing that
Old 08-14-2019, 10:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Mak P
Interesting you want that. I thought most people would flip hearing that
i think he's talking about an electric assisted turbo (e-turbo). it's a phenomenal and efficient setup. basically eliminates turbo lag. high end

Last edited by sockr1; 08-14-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:47 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
I just went and looked at the rdx concept and in my opinion the production version, or atleast the aspec looks better than the concept.

Hopefully the diffuser will stay. I bet it will lose the side splitter. The mirrors will definitely be larger. The wheel gap will be larger, wheels smaller.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
I just went and looked at the rdx concept and in my opinion the production version, or atleast the aspec looks better than the concept.

Hopefully the diffuser will stay. I bet it will lose the side splitter. The mirrors will definitely be larger. The wheel gap will be larger, wheels smaller.
agree i think the changes will be minimal (toned down), especially seeing images in the rdx infotainment leak.

for the rdx the only things (i think) that changed from proto to production are the wheels and the mirrors. it was pretty close!!
Old 08-14-2019, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 761 Posts
To make the car look better it will need a drop, wheels and tint.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,019 Likes on 761 Posts
Classic trunk or the hatchback style? Either way, I hope they allow the rear seats to fold down. That was a huge let down in the 3G. Not sure if the 4G or TLX fold down.
The following users liked this post:
sockr1 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Dear Acura: shut up and take my money. That looks really, really good. I love the looks of my TLX, but the concept goes one better.

But first...a) production TLX has to look close to the prototype, I am hoping they don't "dumb" it down like they did the 1G TLX. b) I want to see drivetrain and specs, which likely won't come for a while.

This looks like an incredible car. Seriously, Acura is moving in the right direction recently, starting with the new RDX and I'm excited for the future. There's just a few things I'm going to want from this vehicle that will show not only me, but the rest of the world that Acura is back and that the RDX wasn't just an exception, but the norm in regards to the quality vehicle's they're putting out.

1) The looks. The looks, on the outside, are incredible on this concept. There's always some detail lost going from the concept to the production model, but that's not always a huge problem. Look at the 3G TL vs the production model. Very similar. If Acura can keep about 95% of this look and just do some very minor detail changes that are to be expected (handles, mirrors, etc) and leave the aggressive lines and bumpers alone, I'll be ecstatic.

2) Interior. The interior has to be in the same concept as the new RDX. Acura got away from that funky cluster they've had for a few years with the RDX and it looks like they're trying to go to a whole new direction with infotainment and interior lay out. It doesn't need to be a clone, but they can definitely build on it and keep that movement going to future models.

3) Performance. That car is designed to look aggressive. It needs to have enough hair on it's peaches to back up the talk. If I saw that car on the car lot and had 0 pre-existing knowledge, I would assume it has at least 360-380hp. This Type S needs, in my opinion, to have at least 375hp and do 0-60 in the mid 4 second range. If it's 400 or more, I'll be the first on this forum to buy one assuming the first 2 conditions are met as well. That car LOOKS fast, I just hope it is.

4) Price. The car market is getting tougher every year with great bargains, strong performers, and hot looking rides being introduced or refreshed everytime you turn around. It used to be if you wanted a performance sedan, you got an S/RS Audi, an M3 or M5 BMW, any AMG Mercedes, and a few other one offs. Now, you don't have to get an actual M or AMG. You can get a a BMW M340i or Mercedes E550 and still have a hell of a performance ride. You can get a Kia Stinger even. Chevy is taking the sports car world and turning it on it's head creating a $60k super car that does 0-60 in 3 seconds as a BASE model. Acura has to take the price of this Type S and play it smart. Don't encroach on competitors you can't compete with if you're not going to at least back it up with the raw numbers like horsepower or ridiculously good tech features. I can't imagine Acura will put this car in the 60s. I think it'd be a horrible idea. I said in another post a top of the line V6 TLX with every bell and whistle is anywhere from $40k - 43k in my area in Tampa. I'm hoping the Type S is no more than mid 50s to distinguish itself as the premium model to choose without being astronomical. A 10k difference is about right, in my opinion so low 50s. Fingers crossed.

They get a majority of that done and I'll be first in line to get this car whenever it comes out. I'll trade in my 15 TLX base and burn rubber out of the parking lot. I've had an 03 Type S, an 08 Type s and now a 15 TLX along with a few other cars along the way. The 08 TL Type S is the best car I ever owned. If this makes me feel like I'm in my 08 again, watch out!
The following 3 users liked this post by UKwrath33:
A Fancy Honda (08-15-2019), a35tl (08-14-2019), ACCURATEin (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by reddogTL
Yes! If this thing even has a HINT of a 9ZF coming in any of its trims it'll be dead on arrival. I'm pretty sure however the 9ZF won't be able to handle the power the Type S will put down. So I'm thinking a dual clutch trans will need to be on it.
The volume seller model will probably be 2.0T with Honda's 10 speed AT
shhhhh.....don't even mention the ZF9. That would piss me off so badly if they put that POS in this car. They have to have a MT at least as an option.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:15 AM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
I was talking to some BMW enthusiast at my job and he was like Acura would never put that much money into TLX that it'll cut into sells of the Civic Type R. I showed him the concept and he shut up quick. That's why I love Acura, so much hate and jealousy from other car brand owners.
A Fancy Honda (08-15-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 11:17 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Kinuto
I was talking to some BMW enthusiast at my job and he was like Acura would never put that much money into TLX that it'll cut into sells of the Civic Type R. I showed him the concept and he shut up quick. That's why I love Acura, so much hate and jealousy from other car brand owners.

Okay...
Old 08-14-2019, 11:19 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by quantum7
shhhhh.....don't even mention the ZF9. That would piss me off so badly if they put that POS in this car. They have to have a MT at least as an option.
Manual transmissions are long dead for Acura. I did say the same thing in my post above. Before anyone gets super excited, let's hope Acura has a solution for the transmission. I'd assume it's something new, but then again, you never know.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Manual transmissions are long dead for Acura. I did say the same thing in my post above. Before anyone gets super excited, let's hope Acura has a solution for the transmission. I'd assume it's something new, but then again, you never know.
I know....just hoping.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:39 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Oh boy, I’m already liking it.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:55 AM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
A DSG would be awesome, but my money is on their in-house 10AT beefed up to handle the additional power and torque. We'll probably see a detuned version of the V6T & 10AT on Honda products one day in order to maximize the ROI.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
It's gorgeous. I was hoping for SH-SH-AWD but that might be too expensive to keep the car in the right price point.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Back to horsepower. Don't get all wrapped up in the hosepower number they are figments of the marketing departments imagination of what the customers might want to see & at the same time keep the government & insurance companies off their case. Most of the guys don't pay any attention to the advertised numbers since its known Audi. BMW & MB all underrate their engines.

Finally got hold of the M340 dyno as an example:

Rated by BMW at 382BHP & 369lbft. Dyno runs showing power to the wheels of 373WHP and 399.9lbft. Thing to remember that based on drive train losses of typically 12/15% the Dyno numbers are always less then the actual crank horsepower BHP.

Translation minimum power of this (382BHP) engine at the crank is at least 415BHP at the crank. Historically BMW 3/4 series cars have been quicker then their peers despite having lower hosepower claims.

The TLX should be rated by its 0-60 & 1/4 times not by whatever they rate the engine at. Point is even if its a conservative number it may be a lot stronger in reality. And if it isn't being a turbo a basic tune will jump it way up for not much money.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
04WDPSeDaN (08-14-2019), F23A4 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:39 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
The Type-S Concept looks very good. It has an aggressive sporty and premium design.

The next gen TLX and even the next MDX may look good but quality and reliability would still be issues with me.

I have had a very bad experience with the my 5th gen TLX, with transmission issues and other quality issues... I am very hesitant in getting another Acura

That is saying something from a guy who is a Honda / Acura Fan and his whole family are Honda Acura owners.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 08-14-2019 at 12:53 PM.
A Fancy Honda (08-15-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:45 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Back to horsepower. Don't get all wrapped up in the hosepower number they are figments of the marketing departments imagination of what the customers might want to see & at the same time keep the government & insurance companies off their case. Most of the guys don't pay any attention to the advertised numbers since its known Audi. BMW & MB all underrate their engines.

Rated by BMW at 382BHP & 369lbft. Dyno runs showing power to the wheels of 373WHP and 399.9lbft. Thing to remember that based on drive train losses of typically 12/15% the Dyno numbers are always less then the actual crank horsepower BHP.

Translation minimum power of this (382BHP) engine at the crank is at least 415BHP at the crank. Historically BMW 3/4 series cars have been quicker then their peers despite having lower hosepower claims.

The TLX should be rated by its 0-60 & 1/4 times not by whatever they rate the engine at. Point is even if its a conservative number it may be a lot stronger in reality. And if it isn't being a turbo a basic tune will jump it way up for not much money.

Pretty much what I stated above. A lot of posters here and on FB groups are obsessed with having a specific number to justify the type-s badge and or pricing. I did mention that since this vehicle was being tested in Germany, against it's German rivals, I wouldn't be surprised if Acura "under rates" their claimed numbers also. I've seen people bring up that it should be faster than the supra. We are talking about two different vehicles all together. Regardless, people fail to understand exactly how much BMW has under rated their B series engines. Besides numbers, there more than just hp/tq that play 0-60 and or 1/4 times. With Acura, they could be running an electric motor in the drive terrain so actual figures will depend heavily on the actual setup.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
What about BMW 4 series Gran Coupes? They dont even look like hatchbacks, they look like regular sedans.
One of my in-laws has a 428i GC. I prefer it’s 3-series counterpart.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:10 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
The Type-S Concept does closely resemble the TLX render that was hidden in the RDX's System. Minus the "Type-S" wheels , quad exhaust, front spoiler.. etc.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts

Agreed! The new Accord 2.0T is a good example of this with C/D’s broken in Accord turning a 13.9 @ 104 mph with only “252hp”. As with the Accord, I am eager to see what Hondata makes of both the base and Type S versions.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:29 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
The Type-S Concept does closely resemble the TLX render that was hidden in the RDX's System. Minus the "Type-S" wheels , quad exhaust, front spoiler.. etc.

This is probably the closest thing to how the actual production version will look like.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
The TLX was spot testing by motor1 it’s on their website and the silhouette of the car resembles the type-s concept.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:04 PM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
i think he's talking about an electric assisted turbo (e-turbo). it's a phenomenal and efficient setup. basically eliminates turbo lag. high end
No, I mean the Sport Hybrid technology, Acura is now going in that direction, this is their signature technology...I would not buy it but it would be a good top trim for the new TLX (with power in the 450+ HP range)
Old 08-14-2019, 02:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by UKwrath33

4) Price. The car market is getting tougher every year with great bargains, strong performers, and hot looking rides being introduced or refreshed everytime you turn around. It used to be if you wanted a performance sedan, you got an S/RS Audi, an M3 or M5 BMW, any AMG Mercedes, and a few other one offs. Now, you don't have to get an actual M or AMG. You can get a a BMW M340i or Mercedes E550 and still have a hell of a performance ride. You can get a Kia Stinger even. Chevy is taking the sports car world and turning it on it's head creating a $60k super car that does 0-60 in 3 seconds as a BASE model. Acura has to take the price of this Type S and play it smart. Don't encroach on competitors you can't compete with if you're not going to at least back it up with the raw numbers like horsepower or ridiculously good tech features. I can't imagine Acura will put this car in the 60s. I think it'd be a horrible idea. I said in another post a top of the line V6 TLX with every bell and whistle is anywhere from $40k - 43k in my area in Tampa. I'm hoping the Type S is no more than mid 50s to distinguish itself as the premium model to choose without being astronomical. A 10k difference is about right, in my opinion so low 50s. Fingers crossed.

...and don't forget the Dodge Charger.....a sub 40K (base price for a Scat Pack) 485 HP sedan doing 0-60 in 4,1 and 1/4 in 12.4......and 70 to 0 in 152 feet....

Acura could price a top of the line TLX in the 60k range but, as you said, it has to deliver the goods and being better performance wise than true luxury competitors in the same price range. The Stinger does that admirably.....340i performance (and more) for 328i money
UKwrath33 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 02:15 PM
Racer

I agree.....other companies are learning to under rate their engines including GM with their LS and LT engines.

The Hemi 392 has been dynoed for ~440 at the wheels (485 HP official power).

Last edited by 4G-Lover; 08-14-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Lol I don't care about the Germans, if this car don't beat any Hyundai product that's a no no for me

I'm talking the every single Genesis, Stinger, whatever
UKwrath33 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 03:44 PM
Instructor

https://www.motor1.com/photos/694572...tlx-spy-shots/

Last edited by Mak P; 08-14-2019 at 03:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mak P:
a35tl (08-14-2019), Ken1997TL (08-14-2019), sockr1 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 04:57 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Mak P
Lol I don't care about the Germans, if this car don't beat any Hyundai product that's a no no for me

I'm talking the every single Genesis, Stinger, whatever
Does it really matter if it does or doesn't?... if its slower by .2 are you going to jump off a cliff? If its quicker by .2 are you going to run into Acura and buy one?
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
a35tl (08-14-2019), BEAR-AvHistory (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 05:21 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Does it really matter if it does or doesn't?... if its slower by .2 are you going to jump off a cliff? If its quicker by .2 are you going to run into Acura and buy one?
I think everyone is asking for more than 290hp.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Yes to all 3 questions
Old 08-14-2019, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Yes, I’m that weirdo who’s looking at both a C8 and a Type S TLX. I’m just hoping Acura gives us some “go” along with that “show”, and at a reasonable price compared to the Germans. If they do, I’m pretty much in.
Nothing wrong with that. I love the current vette, but the practicality of it is an issue for many. I have wanted a vette for a few years now, but know after 6-12 months ducking in and out and riding so low would wear me out. Not to mention I doubt it would make it out of my driveway without damage as I have a steep hill with a huge bump at the street. Hell if I pull my TLX out without going out at an angle it will scrape.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Yes! If this thing even has a HINT of a 9ZF coming in any of its trims it'll be dead on arrival. I'm pretty sure however the 9ZF won't be able to handle the power the Type S will put down. So I'm thinking a dual clutch trans will need to be on it.
The volume seller model will probably be 2.0T with Honda's 10 speed AT
I see either the 10AT or maybe the DCT from the RLX? The ZF9 is dead in the Acura lineup going forward, it was a stop gap tranny to get high MPG.

Last edited by KeithL; 08-14-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
I'm hoping the WHP of this thing is closer to 375 at the minimum. I know everybody is understating their numbers right now but to be taken seriously, Acura needs to come with it and the transmission has to match and be quick, I'd hope for a Dual Clutch Somebody mentioned the C43 but that thing is really closer to 430 at the crank. It's putting out crazy numbers for the listed HP. My Q50 Red Sport lease will be up next year so if they can at least match the power my RS can put down I'd be very interested. If not, I'm waiting for the new ISF.
UKwrath33 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Nothing wrong with that. I love the current vette, but the practicality of it is an issue for many. I have wanted a vette for a few years now, but know after 6-12 months ducking in and out and riding so low would wear me out. Not to mention I doubt it would make it out of my driveway without damage as I have a steep hill with a huge bump at the street. Hell if I pull my TLX out without going out at an angle it will scrape.
C8 has a front end raise thing to take care of that.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:23 PM
tehLEGOman

It's definitely going to be a quick acura regardless because our rdx is a rocket with the turbo 4. I'm surprised I haven't received a speeding ticket yet. A turbo 6 will feel amazing, and then the hondata reflash which will probably yield 30-40 moar horsepowers.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
From HondaPro Jason’s Facebook page, buried deep in the comments. Obviously fake (especially the manual transmission bit) but wouldn’t it be awesome to have 410 hp just for bragging rights?

The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
A Fancy Honda (08-15-2019), Speed_Racer (08-15-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
From HondaPro Jason’s Facebook page, buried deep in the comments. Obviously fake (especially the manual transmission bit) but wouldn’t it be awesome to have 410 hp just for bragging rights?

I'd go ape sh!t if we got 410. Absolutely ape sh!t. One can dream! But it'll probably be between 360 and 380. I think a true 100hp jump from the last Type S would be a fair jump.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:33 PM
tehLEGOman

I'm just going to sit here and believe that entire document.

Looking at the VIN on there UUB5A

Looks like it will have a CD player which I really wish the RDX had.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Well lets see, the Q50 and Q60 have the 3.0L TT Engine that puts out 400HP and 350TQ. Normally honda/acura stay conservative but we can see the new direction that they are going in! We can hope that some guy in a suit decided "we need to beat infiniti with their 400HP/350TQ, so give it 410HP and 350+TQ."

Also the BMW M engines are going to be fundamentally different to compare with since they are Inline 6's and not V6's. And due to acura's patents we have a good idea that it's 2 turbochargers (1 per bank) and using newly designed heads that are more efficient vs the current J-series.

6MT sounds like false hope after everything acura has done, however the 2019 accord has 6MT so we can hope the TLX 2nd gen will get it. I know, Acura didn't do it for the 1G TLX and the Accord had 6MT option but it sounds like acura is really embracing their performance side and might offer it, plus 6MT rates have increased from 2017 to 2019 thus far!

From a car collector perspective, in an Era when almost all automakers are going away from 6MT to DCT transmissions it'd be pretty awesome to have a 6MT car. Look at folks fighting and converting auto TL's into 6MT's from 2004-2008, almost a DECADE AGO! They are spending the money on a 10+ year old car for the joy of rowing through gears.

Last edited by csmeance; 08-14-2019 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)