Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 08:24 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
The precision cockpit looked good when it came out 4 years ago, but honestly it looks no better (maybe even cheaper) than the current production offerings from MB/BMW/Audi...

Also, I really hope they get rid of the giant drive mode dial. It takes up so much room, and honestly, are people even using that on a daily/weekly/monthly basis? I've touched my IDS settings maybe 10 times in the past 3 years.
What's sad is the Precision cockpit has only made it to one product so far in years and it's not the full blown version from the concept. The Gernans are all going back the two or mostly all screen on the dash but they are implementing it much better than Acura and looks so much more premium. With that being said it is one additional thing to worry about breaking and the finger prints will drive most people crazy.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Chicago auto shows is in a week. No sign of the new TLX or MDX.

If we don’t see the cars this week, game over. Acura will not release these two cars anytime soon. Then we have to wait for summer, Detroit auto show.

I love Hyundai, they just released the first look of GV80 yesterday
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (02-05-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 03:41 AM
2nd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tony Pac

If we don’t see the cars this week, game over. Acura will not release these two cars anytime soon. Then we have to wait for summer, Detroit auto show.

Not completely true. We have the NY Auto show in April. It's a pretty big turn out, they may reveal it then.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2k18Aspec:
F23A4 (02-03-2020), RDX10 (02-05-2020), silverTL6 (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 10:28 AM
BGR
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 95 Posts

I can't stop watching GV80 videos. The G80 is coming this year too with a 3.5TT V6 that should have roughly 400hp. It's hard to ignore them.
RDX10 (02-05-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 11:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
So you are saying that if you're driving on an out of state highway where the police sometimes aggressively ticket people going 10 mph over the limit that you would trust driving blindly and with no speedometer? I had no idea that there were people out there with the sixth sense of MPH. Or do you look at the trees and count the time between them to guage your speed?
Have to agree with fiatlux. The analog speedo in my truck died about 10 years & 100,000 miles ago. So far no speeding tickets in it. Actually common sense would tell you without a functioning speedo even without experience just stay with the traffic flow, As for a glass cockpit going dead, stuff happens. That said they are cheaper & easier to replace then analogs. Also all the current analog dashes are computer driven, no direct connections speedo to transmission any more.

Cool looks & cheap to manufacture is why they are being incorporated into more & more cars even economy versions.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:30 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by 2k18Aspec
Not completely true. We have the NY Auto show in April. It's a pretty big turn out, they may reveal it then.
You're right. I forgot about NYC auto show.

Delays, delays and delays! Honestly, we are all tired of this. 2019 and then became early 2020 and still no sign!
The following 3 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
BGR (02-01-2020), silverTL6 (01-31-2020), TVL65 (02-01-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 04:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Have to agree with fiatlux. The analog speedo in my truck died about 10 years & 100,000 miles ago. So far no speeding tickets in it. Actually common sense would tell you without a functioning speedo even without experience just stay with the traffic flow, As for a glass cockpit going dead, stuff happens. That said they are cheaper & easier to replace then analogs. Also all the current analog dashes are computer driven, no direct connections speedo to transmission any more.

Cool looks & cheap to manufacture is why they are being incorporated into more & more cars even economy versions.
Another with the sixth sense of MPH, I had no idea that there were so many I do get what you both are saying but we are people who love to drive, not really fair to use the same lens for others who aren't like us. And as far as keeping up with the flow of traffic goes, it failed in a sparsely populated area so there wasn't much traffic.

And I do not agree that not being able to tell the difference between if you are going 60 or 70 mph when you have no gauges makes you a bad driver when you are the type that drives just to commute.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

And I do not agree that not being able to tell the difference between if you are going 60 or 70 mph when you have no gauges makes you a bad driver when you are the type that drives just to commute.
With all due respect a commuter would need to be brain dead not to have a sense of speed. Day after day running the same route & you don't know if you are ahead or behind your normal time to certain points along the road. As for being alone on a country road what is the chance a cop is going to jump out of the bushes & tag you? If you are nervous about being over the speed limit use your brain & slow down a little.
Rocket_man (02-04-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR
I can't stop watching GV80 videos. The G80 is coming this year too with a 3.5TT V6 that should have roughly 400hp. It's hard to ignore them.
Lol if the TLX price went up the way up to 55-60k, people would flip shit even if it was actually worth it
Old 02-01-2020, 12:19 AM
BGR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mak P
Lol if the TLX price went up the way up to 55-60k, people would flip shit even if it was actually worth it
agreed!!!
Midnight Mystery (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 08:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

With all due respect a commuter would need to be brain dead not to have a sense of speed. Day after day running the same route & you don't know if you are ahead or behind your normal time to certain points along the road. As for being alone on a country road what is the chance a cop is going to jump out of the bushes & tag you? If you are nervous about being over the speed limit use your brain & slow down a little.
In an effort to be condescending you seemed to have missed most of the points of the story 1. Was not on the normal commute, was on an unfamiliar out of state highway in a sparsely populated area 2. Police in this state do aggressively ticket speeders and love out of state ones at that (and yes maybe even hiding in the bushes, you never know) 3. Sure one can slow down but if you aren't an expert driver like yourself and you only drive to get from point A to B...

I don't get why this is so unreasonable that someone would rather have the piece of mind in the conditions I described above to want to know exactly how fast that they are going.

Last edited by ESHBG; 02-01-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BGR
agreed!!!
Because this is not Acura's niche and where they should fall in the auto world. For that kind of money there are so many options and without nonsensical packages (at least in the U.S.).
Old 02-01-2020, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

In an effort to be condescending you seemed to have missed most of the points of the story 1. Was not on the normal commute, was on an unfamiliar out of state highway in a sparsely populated area 2. Police in this state do aggressively ticket speeders and love out of state ones at that (and yes maybe even hiding in the bushes, you never know) 3. Sure one can slow down but if you aren't an expert driver like yourself and you only drive to get from point A to B...

I don't get why this is so unreasonable that someone would rather have the piece of mind in the conditions I described above to want to know exactly how fast that they are going.
Understand what you are saying & just have a difference of opinion, did not mean to hurt your feelings, sorry about that. Agree full instruments are the way to go. What I am saying failure is not that common & is not limited to digital display systems. All modern systems are ECU driven despite what type of display is used. When there is a fail most people IMHO & actual experience can drive safely & not get tickets.

The fact that manufactures eat warranty claims causes them to look for systems that are inexpensive to build & will not bite them in the butt with warranty fixes.

Anyway let's agree to disagree & move on.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Because this is not Acura's niche and where they should fall in the auto world. For that kind of money there are so many options and without nonsensical packages (at least in the U.S.).
Agree all you need to do is look at RLX which sold IIRC less than 100 cars last month in the $55,000 & up class. Acura at this time does not have the image to sell $60,000 cars outside of the NSX, which even in its peer group, has huge discounts $20,000/30.000 & is selling 30 cars a month. Corvette ZR1 about the same price after discounts which sells about 300 a month in 2019. Porsche current 992 version 911 Carrera 4S are also nibbling at the reduced NSX pricing.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Understand what you are saying & just have a difference of opinion, did not mean to hurt your feelings, sorry about that. Agree full instruments are the way to go. What I am saying failure is not that common & is not limited to digital display systems. All modern systems are ECU driven despite what type of display is used. When there is a fail most people IMHO & actual experience can drive safely & not get tickets.

The fact that manufactures eat warranty claims causes them to look for systems that are inexpensive to build & will not bite them in the butt with warranty fixes.

Anyway let's agree to disagree & move on.
No worries at all and was an interesting discussion. Agreed that digital is the way to go and offers a lot of potential. I do enjoy analog gauges, though, and maybe one day they will be like watches and viewed as classic/classy

On a related note is anyone else bothered by the digital gauges that have the tachometer on the right but the needle moves counterclockwise vs clockwise so that it is the opposite of the speedometer? That messes with me and I wonder if I could get used to it ha ha. Example:

Old 02-01-2020, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Why can't they change their niche? Genesis sold a total of 21,000 automobiles last year and they're doing just fine.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Its something to get used to. BMW 2020 3 series looks like this with opposing indicators

My 2018 4 series with the old style digital dash looks like this - I use the traditional menu like in the picture. Indicators sweep in the same direction. HUD has not changed

My classic COBRA instruments. Digitally powered analog gauges, sweep toward each other, reverse speedometer movement, like they did in 1965

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-01-2020 at 02:19 PM.
ESHBG (02-02-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 03:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Agree all you need to do is look at RLX which sold IIRC less than 100 cars last month in the $55,000 & up class. Acura at this time does not have the image to sell $60,000 cars outside of the NSX, which even in its peer group, has huge discounts $20,000/30.000 & is selling 30 cars a month. Corvette ZR1 about the same price after discounts which sells about 300 a month in 2019. Porsche current 992 version 911 Carrera 4S are also nibbling at the reduced NSX pricing.
I think Acura could sell cars at that price point if they were worth it. However, the RLX when I test drove it was decidedly not worth that price tag. Customers buying those types of cars have fairly discriminating tastes, and it's not good enough for Acura to march out a car that is merely a nice Honda. Lexus is able to sell the LS because it is legitimately posh and luxurious...the RLX is nowhere near that.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

"Worth it" is what people will pay for something, not its content. Interesting conversation on the Z4 forum regarding a current magazines test BMW Z4 M40i vs Porsche Boxster "S". The test shown the Boxster slightly quicker 3.7 vs 3.9 in 0-60 & 12.0 @116 vs 12.3 @ 114 in 1/4 mile, stops faster 99ft vs 104ft at 60 to 0 & a little less G load 1.03G vs 1.06G on the skid pad.

The Z4 costs base $64,695 as tested $73,295 vs 718 Boxster S costing base $72,650 as tested $86,050. Both interesting cars. Thing is to match them up item for item the price of the Boxster goes up to $104,000. To a lot of people like the guys at MT who did the test the striped Boxster 718 is "Worth it" so even with a manual driver's seat adjustment it won the test. Porsche sells about a 3800 a year while BMW sells about 3,000 Z4's a year so its also worth it to the buying public..

There is very little hard product oriented justification for a car when you start running into the $60,000 & up range. The are all expected to be pretty nice but the key 'feature' is the cars image to the world. Do word association, say expensive car & Porsche or similar comes back say inexpensive car & Civic or similar comes back.

It take very good marketing to move from one level to another because most people already have a specific frame of reference. Genesis is pretty much a fresh nameplate & are building their image now. Answer is not in yet as to how they will make out. Acura's problem with entry into the elite group is it has way to much baggage having been around since the last century with an image of an upscale Honda.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-01-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Why can't they change their niche? Genesis sold a total of 21,000 automobiles last year and they're doing just fine.
You're comparing apples to oranges and BEAR-AvHistory touched on how difficult that can be, especially for Acura, who unfortunately does not have the best reputation right now.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:17 PM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
"Worth it" is what people will pay for something, not its content. Interesting conversation on the Z4 forum regarding a current magazines test BMW Z4 M40i vs Porsche Boxster "S". The test shown the Boxster slightly quicker 3.7 vs 3.9 in 0-60 & 12.0 @116 vs 12.3 @ 114 in 1/4 mile, stops faster 99ft vs 104ft at 60 to 0 & a little less G load 1.03G vs 1.06G on the skid pad.

The Z4 costs base $64,695 as tested $73,295 vs 718 Boxster S costing base $72,650 as tested $86,050. Both interesting cars. Thing is to match them up item for item the price of the Boxster goes up to $104,000. To a lot of people like the guys at MT who did the test the striped Boxster 718 is "Worth it" so even with a manual driver's seat adjustment it won the test. Porsche sells about a 3800 a year while BMW sells about 3,000 Z4's a year so its also worth it to the buying public..

There is very little hard product oriented justification for a car when you start running into the $60,000 & up range. The are all expected to be pretty nice but the key 'feature' is the cars image to the world. Do word association, say expensive car & Porsche or similar comes back say inexpensive car & Civic or similar comes back.

It take very good marketing to move from one level to another because most people already have a specific frame of reference. Genesis is pretty much a fresh nameplate & are building their image now. Answer is not in yet as to how they will make out. Acura's problem with entry into the elite group is it has way to much baggage having been around since the last century with an image of an upscale Honda.
Very true, I agree completely.

Acura had its chance to at least get the reputation of Lexus in the luxury car world when the first NSX came out but it did not take advantage of the halo image that car created for the brand back then.
Problem is the brand has always been an afterthought, just a North American re-badging exercise for Honda...and especially today, luxury brands needs to be global particularly in the car industry.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:31 PM
Instructor

You're comparing apples to oranges and BEAR-AvHistory touched on how difficult that can be, especially for Acura, who unfortunately does not have the best reputation right now.
It's not difficult at all though. Acura is nothing but a bonus for honda. Acura can change its reputation. Anybody can do anything if they put forth the effort
Old 02-03-2020, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
It's not difficult at all though. Acura is nothing but a bonus for honda. Acura can change its reputation. Anybody can do anything if they put forth the effort
I agree and I believe they are putting in the effort based on their new design language with the new RDX. It truly is Precision, Crafted, Performance compared to the other luxury SUV's in the market with that price-point. Now with that same energy applied to their flagship sedan, they're going to do really good. The only complaint I have is the lack of marketing for their next car. If I were in that marketing team, I would be teasing the hell out of their next car. Keep the public engaged. Do something the other manufacturers have not done. This isn't rocket science. There are so many die hard Acura fans out there with their 3G TL's, Type S's, Integra's. It is not too late for them as many owners have these cars till this day. Compared to the other brands you don't see people getting attached to 10-15 year old cars like you see with Acura's. Marketing team needs to use that to their advantage. Other then that, I think they make great value cars.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:02 AM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
I've lost interest, probably will be 350 Hp for $55,000, no thanks.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:26 AM
BGR
Instructor

'Less Talk - More Drive'

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/acura...130000296.html
9SpeedTran (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 11:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR
Sounds like nothing new for Chicago.
TVL65 (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 01:44 PM
Pro

As my dealer said to me last week: Acura should have come out with the Type S early last year. Sales of new cars are now in a slump & tanking.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by TVL65
As my dealer said to me last week: Acura should have come out with the Type S early last year. Sales of new cars are now in a slump & tanking.
That's the issue. Acura's Jan'2020 sales aren't strong. It seems like the recession in the car industry will hit soon and as a result, the conservative Honda company will put everything on hold. So, before this happens, we want to see the Type S. I am scared we won't see the new TLX and MDX.

Anyway, let's see. Car industry doesn't look promising for 2020.
F23A4 (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 02:55 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Sounds like nothing new for Chicago.
We'll see. Sounded like that article was just about the milestone of SH-AWD history and Acura showcasing it in Chicago. Not a definitive list of announcements for Acura. Maybe. . . .
Old 02-03-2020, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
That's the issue. Acura's Jan'2020 sales aren't strong. It seems like the recession in the car industry will hit soon and as a result, the conservative Honda company will put everything on hold. So, before this happens, we want to see the Type S. I am scared we won't see the new TLX and MDX.

Anyway, let's see. Car industry doesn't look promising for 2020.
This has crossed my mind many times over the past year or so. Still plenty of time for Honda to pull the plug on the anticipated version of the 2G TLX, maybe go with a plan B featuring an Accord based version.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:57 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
This has crossed my mind many times over the past year or so. Still plenty of time for Honda to pull the plug on the anticipated version of the 2G TLX, maybe go with a plan B featuring an Accord based version.
If this happens, the my 2016 will be my first and last Acura. It's not that my TLX is a terrible car, it isn't. But I want more. If Acura can't offer it, then I'm going to stare hard at the Stinger.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZipSpeed:
neuronbob (02-04-2020), TVL65 (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 09:31 PM
Pro

I saw a GT Stinger yesterday on the highway, very sharp looking.
ZipSpeed (02-03-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 07:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F23A4
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
If this happens, the my 2016 will be my first and last Acura. It's not that my TLX is a terrible car, it isn't. But I want more. If Acura can't offer it, then I'm going to stare hard at the Stinger.
I wouldn't mind an Accord based version, and would be even cooler if they added a lift back, the shape is there and it was a missed opportunity IMO.
pyrodan007 (02-05-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 08:36 PM
There are four lights!

I wouldn't mind an Accord based version, and would be even cooler if they added a lift back, the shape is there and it was a missed opportunity IMO.
With the market moving to crossovers, I’m wondering why the manufacturers aren’t looking to reinvent the sedan a bit. Liftbacks/sportbacks/fastbacks are that perfect opportunity.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZipSpeed:
ESHBG (02-04-2020), pyrodan007 (02-05-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
With the market moving to crossovers, I’m wondering why the manufacturers aren’t looking to reinvent the sedan a bit. Liftbacks/sportbacks/fastbacks are that perfect opportunity.
I love them and cars that have them get a few bonus points from me.
The following 2 users liked this post by ESHBG:
Midnight Mystery (02-05-2020), ZipSpeed (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 09:29 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Ew. Stinger? Not my cup of tea. The G70 has grown on me and I think it's a handsome vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio85:
DLM1213 (02-05-2020), Midnight Mystery (02-05-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 10:44 PM
There are four lights!

I love them and cars that have them get a few bonus points from me.
As do I. Practical cargo area and much better driving dynamics than your typical sloppy crossover. What’s not to like?
The following 4 users liked this post by ZipSpeed:
BEAR-AvHistory (02-05-2020), ESHBG (02-05-2020), Midnight Mystery (02-05-2020), pyrodan007 (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Caddy just unveiled the 38" OLED dash, 3 linked screens, in the 2021 Escalade SUV. Upped the ante big time.

The screens feature the first curved organic light emitting diode (OLED) in a car with 38 inches of diagonal display in total, twice the pixel density of a 4K television,

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-05-2020 at 11:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
ESHBG (02-05-2020), silverTL6 (02-06-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 58 Posts

NY Auto show is in April.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 58 Posts
You're right. I forgot about NYC auto show.

Delays, delays and delays! Honestly, we are all tired of this. 2019 and then became early 2020 and still no sign!
Not sure why people keep saying delay. The 4G TL had a 6 model year cycle. The 2G MDX had a 8 year model cycle. The current TLX has a 6 year model cycle and the current MDX has a 7 year model cycle.

Quick Reply: Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)