Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 11:36 AM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
Whoever sees the new TLX or Type S and an auto show BEFORE the NY Auto show post up pics etc. If it's not on display we won't be be going to NY show.
The following users liked this post:
Shadow2056 (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by TVL65
I guess I'll keep driving my 07' Type S currently with 168,000 miles and forget it. It all makes sense when you realize how tight lipped Acura has been. No info at all. Nearly all manufacturers would have released numbers by now.
If I could go back I would have kept my 07 S and it had 80k on it when I traded it for the TLX. The TLX has a much better ride, no rattles and with sh-awd handles better but doesn't have the instant punch the type S had. I knew the TLX from the first drive was slower feeling than the type S but the trade in was so high for a 10yr old car I did it anyway. I do think the sound system in the 07 was way better than the TLX as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by jhb31:
DLM1213 (01-02-2020), TVL65 (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 09:20 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
I'm not convinced that the MDX will have a turbo V6. All signs point to it using the current 2.0T. If Honda replaced the J35 in both the Accord and RDX with the 2.0T, why should we expect them to do otherwise with the J35 in the MDX?
because a 4 cylinder in a vechicle the size of the MDX will be a huge mistake, yeah I know ze Germansdo it but that is just to get buyers in Acura cant afford to follow ze Germans. My bet is MDX gets detuned version of new turbo 6, base models FWD only may get 4 cylinder. They will never meet fuel economy targets with 4cycl and it will not be able to keep up with anything in its class so it's not worth the effort.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:25 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
He doesn't know. It's just a guess since Acura has not put anythig out regarding HP. My guess, like others, is in the 330 to 350 range (enough to make it a very fun and reliable daily driver but not insanely fast). This isn't the first type S Acura has put out and in the past the HP increase was a modest bump. Thinking they are going to add about 100 more HP to the Type S model is wishful thinking and way out of line with what they have done in the past. It's possible but history suggests that's not what Acura does. I think Acura would be fine with enough power to get close a 5 second 0-60 time.
but it's the first with a new ground up engine and turbo to boot, that is the part everyone is missing there is no way its gets less than 375 HP, will probably be 380 HP and 365 lb/ft anything less and its because they do not have faith in their drivetrain not because they cant. Stop dwelling on the past, today the above numbers is barely competitive then you get into R, M and AMG models pushing close to 500 HP by the time we see Tyoe S.
a35tl (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 10:08 PM
BGR
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 95 Posts
He doesn't know. It's just a guess since Acura has not put anythig out regarding HP. My guess, like others, is in the 330 to 350 range (enough to make it a very fun and reliable daily driver but not insanely fast). This isn't the first type S Acura has put out and in the past the HP increase was a modest bump. Thinking they are going to add about 100 more HP to the Type S model is wishful thinking and way out of line with what they have done in the past. It's possible but history suggests that's not what Acura does. I think Acura would be fine with enough power to get close a 5 second 0-60 time.
I actually do know.. I think you're the one that doesn't know as much if you think getting close to 5 seconds for the Type S model is impressive. Do a little more research and you'll see the 2.0T Accord was testing by C&D at 5.3 seconds so why would a Type S be 5 seconds? That's more base model 2.0T numbers. Do you honestly think you're the only one getting any information about the Type S since you got a release date? Not so much. Check my information when the Type S comes out and you'll see.
The following 2 users liked this post by BGR:
a35tl (01-03-2020), ZipSpeed (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 10:13 PM
BGR
Instructor

Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
but it's the first with a new ground up engine and turbo to boot, that is the part everyone is missing there is no way its gets less than 375 HP, will probably be 380 HP and 365 lb/ft anything less and its because they do not have faith in their drivetrain not because they cant. Stop dwelling on the past, today the above numbers is barely competitive then you get into R, M and AMG models pushing close to 500 HP by the time we see Tyoe S.
You can't explain logic to these people. To see a test mule with 20s and quad exhaust already suggest this isn't some modest hp bump from a decade ago. The car is also testing with the S4 and C43. There's also been a video recently with one of the Acura execs talking about electrification. Acura is obviously investing a lot since its going across the lineup.

Even things lile the RDX with 350hp from the 2.0T at Pike's Peak gives us certain clues for the future.
The following 3 users liked this post by BGR:
a35tl (01-03-2020), CollinR4 (01-03-2020), SuperHandlingTL (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 03:17 AM
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 58 Posts
Some really odd and ignorant comments here. People are talking about the current TLX and how its offered. Let me tell you a few things.

1.) The current TLX, fell under the old management and president Ito. It was made by bean counters just like the current MDX, RLX, ILX, and last gen RDX. Previous management, board of directors and shareholders WOULD NOT give Acura the resources it needed to be competitive. So Acura did the best they could do with recycled components, drivetrains and platforms from Honda.

2.) Since then, there’s a new president (Hachigo) and a huge shuffle in management. Hachigo vowed to give Acura more resources and that’s exactly what happened. That’s why the Precision Concept was born. That’s why the 2019 RDX got an exclusive Acura platform as its no longer based on the CR-V. That’s why Acura will get the 2.0t and the all new 3.0t. That’s why Acura developed the 4th generation of SH-AWD that as of now, only the RDX has. That’s why A-Spec, Type-S, etc etc made a comeback.

3.) In regards to power, it will at least have 365hp although even at that rating, it’ll be underrated. This engine will debut a number of new technologies that even the Germans haven’t really offered on a large scale. However, the car won’t be as quick as the new M340i but its all around performance envelop should easily eclipse the Audi S4 Quattro and be closer to the Mercedes C43 although the Benz may be a bit quicker on the straights. someone mentioned the Infiniti. Drive that car and see why it cant touch the M340i or the C43. I’ve recently sampled the C43 and the M340i and while the BMW was quicker, the C43 was the better car overall. Why? The C43 felt more closer to the C63 in character and it felt special. It chassis/suspension was more aggressive by a good margin, the exhaust was louder, the intake was louder and the car overall just seemed more aggressive. The BMW by contrast, was softer and simply felt like a faster 330i. The BMW’s drivetrain was superior to the C43’s but that’s really its only advantage in my findings.
The following 4 users liked this post by SuperHandlingTL:
a35tl (01-03-2020), alpha0 (01-03-2020), ConradValmont (01-06-2020), Nedmundo (01-05-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 03:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by someguy11
Bingo. Never was this more apparent than the 1G TLX. Read the press releases and interviews to see it was touted as the biggest, best, most important launch in Acura history - a performance sedan that would glue you to your seat and deliver thrills beyond belief. The "performance" variant V6 actually released was kind of a dud, if not a complete turd, in its own value performance/luxury sedan category, plagued with uncharacteristic quality issues to boot. While the NA I4 FWD is a nice package, the fact that it's even available in this class is sort of laughable. Other makers, including some even less prestigious than Acura (see Honda, Genesis, Audi and MB), have been turbocharging base models and supercharging performance versions for years. Meanwhile, after 28 years, the 2020 TLX has the same fundamental powertrain as my 1992 Accord EX - NA I4 FWD, except 0.2L more displacement, 3 extra MPGs, 60 more HP and 40 ft/lbs of TQ. It's that sort of thrill.

Per their same old MO, Acura is already promoting the 2G TLX with commercials parading around NSXs street racing and doing burnouts. I mean, talk about smoke and mirrors. Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. I would be very suspicious about Acura currently being up to its same old tricks. Regardless, whatever base model they have in mind for the TLX to replace the I4 will continue to hold back its reviews, performance and perception.

A few things here:
- Everything you quoted from the TLX’s press release was (bean counter) PR talk.
- When they combined the TL and the TSX to make the TLX, it moved DOWN a tier in its segment. For example, the 205hp 2.4 TLX actually competed with the 180hp BMW 320i, and the 190hp Audi A4 FWD. The V6 TLX competed with the BMW 330i and the Audi A4 Quattro of both made around 250hp......at least on paper.
- The next gen TLX will move back up a tier. The TLX 2.0t will compete with the BMW 330i and the Audi A4 Quattro.
- The Type-S of course will compete with the BMW M340i, Mercedes C43 AMG, Audi S4 Quattro etc etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by SuperHandlingTL:
a35tl (01-03-2020), ConradValmont (01-06-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 03:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
because a 4 cylinder in a vechicle the size of the MDX will be a huge mistake, yeah I know ze Germansdo it but that is just to get buyers in Acura cant afford to follow ze Germans. My bet is MDX gets detuned version of new turbo 6, base models FWD only may get 4 cylinder. They will never meet fuel economy targets with 4cycl and it will not be able to keep up with anything in its class so it's not worth the effort.
The J-Series isn’t dead yet, The MDX wont get the 2.0t. Japan actually wanted the 2.0t to replace the J-Series period. AHM (American Honda) fought back and said we want both he 2.0t and the J-Series and they actually won. The next gen base MDX will have an updated J30/Hybrid system and thats not to be confused with the current MDX Sport Hybrid system. The base MDX should make around 330hp with the MDX Type-S using a variation of the 3.0t from the TLX Type-S.
a35tl (01-03-2020), MIKEYDRED (01-06-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 03:30 AM
Instructor

I guess I'll keep driving my 07' Type S currently with 168,000 miles and forget it. It all makes sense when you realize how tight lipped Acura has been. No info at all. Nearly all manufacturers would have released numbers by now.
What manufacturer issues HP numbers well before product launch? I work in the automotive field and you don’t hear about outputs until right before the products launch. We still have 3-4 months before the car even goes on sale.
a35tl (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 03:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mojo_79
That’s what ACURA does. They tease you with high-performance sports sedans and release eco-friendly family sedans.
No, thats what Acura USED to do. This isn’t the same Acura, or Honda for that matter, as Hachigo replaced Ito a few years back and Acura management was shuffled around. Acura also got a ton more resources from Japan which is why we’re seeing new, Acura exclusive platforms as the RDX, next gen TLX and MDX wont share platforms with Honda. That’s why we’re seeing the 3.0t in development, thats why the Type -S trim was resurrected as well as the A-Spec trim. Acura will push upmarket quite a bit all around and thats evident when you compare the previous RDX and the current.
The following 3 users liked this post by SuperHandlingTL:
a35tl (01-03-2020), CollinR4 (01-03-2020), ConradValmont (01-06-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 03:36 AM
Instructor

My dealership told me today the Type S is being released in spring 2020 DEFINITELY.
The 2.0 TLX should be released this spring with the Type-S a few months later.
a35tl (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 03:41 AM
Instructor

It'd have to be under $50K, because the more powerful (and let's be honest, more luxurious) M340i and C43 both start at $55K. Given what we've seen with the RDX interior, the TLX is not going to be as luxurious or well built as those two German cars.
What? A Type-S under $50k? A PMC TLX SH-AWD V6 is $50k so how can Acura offer an all new car that sits above the current V6 TLX for under $50k? The 2007-08 TL-S was $40K back then. That’s just not possible.

In regards to the RDX, have you been in one? The interior is pretty damn good and is comparable to the Q5 and the X3. Its also leaps and bounds better vs the previous RDX. The TLX will get a significant interior upgrade in regards to design, materials, features and infotainment.
a35tl (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 07:27 AM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperHandlingTL
No, thats what Acura USED to do. This isn’t the same Acura, or Honda for that matter, as Hachigo replaced Ito a few years back and Acura management was shuffled around. Acura also got a ton more resources from Japan which is why we’re seeing new, Acura exclusive platforms as the RDX, next gen TLX and MDX wont share platforms with Honda. That’s why we’re seeing the 3.0t in development, thats why the Type -S trim was resurrected as well as the A-Spec trim. Acura will push upmarket quite a bit all around and thats evident when you compare the previous RDX and the current.
Perception is reality. Until they start selling exciting cars, their reputation won’t change. I’ve always been a huge fan of Acura until they blew it with the overhyped and underperforming TLX. I really hope this time is different and the Acura engineers are allowed to compete with the Germans in terms of performance.

The German model lineup is pretty simple. In general, there are 2 or 3 tiers per vehicle model. As an example, the BMW 3-Series:

330i - turbo 4-cylinder 255hp
M340i - turbo 6-cylinder 382hp
M3 - 500+ hp “supercar”

If Acura wants to be taken seriously they need the next base TLX to have a turbo 4-cylinder with 250+ hp and the Type S turbo 6-cylinder needs 350+ hp.

If Acura delivers the goods (and I really hope they do), a lot of people are going to be shocked by the price. To truly be competitive in this market segment Acura has to upgrade almost every part of the existing TLX - and that isn’t going to be cheap. Stiffer chassis, upgraded drivetrain, suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, etc.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:31 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
^-- Pretty much this.

SH TL, I hear what you're saying. I can buy what you're selling here regarding a change in management and philosophy. However, past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior, and Acura has a long history of doing what many of us are saying. I call myself a former Honda guy despite still having an Odyssey in our garage (that I love), so I shouldn't swear off Acura forever. If they deliver something amazing, I might come back. Heck, I'll even root for them to do so. But to do that, they need to align their sedan with a hypothetical base (like an A4), a mid (like an S4) and a performance (like an RS4). Suppose the TLX and Type S take on the first two, one still has to go to the NSX, Euros or Toyota/Lexus for a supercar.

My biggest concern for the brand isn't how much these cars would cost - indeed, it would shock many Honda families used to reliability and functionality to see a $50-60k+ superAccord. My concern is that Acura already lost thousands of former fans (just for fun, I scrolled to the TLX release around fall 2014 on this forum - most users disliked the car and since left) and continues to lose more to this day (reddogTL, neuronbob, etc). To woo any of them back will require a phenomenal car pitted directly against the competition already building amazing cars that are winning awards from the likes of C&D, MT, Consumer Reports and Edmunds. I mean, this is one tall order for Acura, like tasking Cadillac to create a new, exciting second gen Cimarron.

I guess I'll believe it when I see it. I'll hope for the best, but don't really care either way since I already have a great Lexus. Acura can prove me wrong. Anyone who is still optimistic about this brand should be so cautiously.

Last edited by someguy11; 01-03-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
What? A Type-S under $50k? A PMC TLX SH-AWD V6 is $50k so how can Acura offer an all new car that sits above the current V6 TLX for under $50k? The 2007-08 TL-S was $40K back then. That’s just not possible.

In regards to the RDX, have you been in one? The interior is pretty damn good and is comparable to the Q5 and the X3. Its also leaps and bounds better vs the previous RDX. The TLX will get a significant interior upgrade in regards to design, materials, features and infotainment.
This is a bad take. Just because the PMC is priced so high doesn’t mean it’s actually worth that much. The Type-S isn’t going to be handbuilt, have some fancy paint job, etc. You can option a base Porsche 911 well above $120K...so why is it that the 911 S starts at $113K? Subaru is charging $65K for the STI S209...does that mean the next gen STI will be north of $65K? Of course not. But I stand by my argument; if Acura doesn’t price the Type-S below its German competitors, it’ll sell like the PMC.

As for the RDX interior, just because it’s much improved over the 2G model doesn’t mean anything. And yes, I’ve had a lot of time inside one, even as a loaner. I was unimpressed when you compare it to the Germans. The big stack in the middle with the huge drive mode dial feels tacky and unrefined. The gauges are a generation behind. There’s still a lot of plastics in the center control stack. I’m sure some people like the futuristic look of it, but I’m not a fan of it. IMO the new Mercedes with the MBUX system looks and feels much nicer, and that’s the the TLX will have to compete against.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:00 AM
BGR
Instructor

Perception is reality. Until they start selling exciting cars, their reputation won’t change. I’ve always been a huge fan of Acura until they blew it with the overhyped and underperforming TLX. I really hope this time is different and the Acura engineers are allowed to compete with the Germans in terms of performance.

The German model lineup is pretty simple. In general, there are 2 or 3 tiers per vehicle model. As an example, the BMW 3-Series:

M3 - 500+ hp “supercar”

If Acura wants to be taken seriously they need the next base TLX to have a turbo 4-cylinder with 250+ hp and the Type S turbo 6-cylinder needs 350+ hp.

If Acura delivers the goods (and I really hope they do), a lot of people are going to be shocked by the price. To truly be competitive in this market segment Acura has to upgrade almost every part of the existing TLX - and that isn’t going to be cheap. Stiffer chassis, upgraded drivetrain, suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, etc.
That's exactly what we're trying to to tell everyone. It's not going to be lower than 350hp. The price is the only unknown and it has to be priced lower than the Germans. If the Accord 2.0T is 252 hp and the RDX is 270, I'm not sure why people are even bringing up 250 as a potential TLX number.
The following 2 users liked this post by BGR:
a35tl (01-03-2020), SuperHandlingTL (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 10:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR
That's exactly what we're trying to to tell everyone. It's not going to be lower than 350hp. The price is the only unknown and it has to be priced lower than the Germans. If the Accord 2.0T is 252 hp and the RDX is 270, I'm not sure why people are even bringing up 250 as a potential TLX number.
I agree, at the minimum the base model will make the same power as the RDX. There's no reason for it to be any less unless the exhaust routing is less optimal or Acura purposely decides to gimp it to siphon more buyers over to the (more profitable) RDX.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:05 AM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
Thats weird, because I see it announced in all the car mags I subscribe to. They have an entire listing of new vehicles coming out with numbers listed, a photo of each is included as well as prices.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Perception is reality.

M340i - turbo 6-cylinder 382hp*
M3 - 500+ hp “supercar”.
* Will be a MPPSK that will add horsepower down the road & before the mid cycle upgrade.

Just two comments You broke the code on reality. 100% its about perception, but perception needs some reality behind it. TLX was sold as the killer "thriller" (race car livery, blasting across the desert, NSX etc in the adds) but where the rubber ment the road it was a pussy cat car. They have a shot with TLX version 2.0 as a 3 or 3.5 liter DOHC 6 Turbo is a dial the power you want type engine. Next M3 will have two power outputs of 480bhp and 510bhp from the 3.0 TT to start. GTS will come later.

On the series break down the is always a .5 release on the 3.0 TT I6. It generally comes out after 18 months of the first production. Listed as the MPPSK its aperformace package that is sold in addition to the standard engine. My cars all had/have it. My current E series 440i 320HP base is rated at 355HP with the package. Would expect the G series version to put the 382HP to just over 400BHP. Option cost around $2500. Will most likely be less expensive on the G series as much of the package, wheels, tires, suspension & brakes is now standard on the M340.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-03-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:13 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
This is a bad take. Just because the PMC is priced so high doesn’t mean it’s actually worth that much.
You're right. It's not. Very few reputable resources have proclaimed the PMC is worth that... or even a special car whatsoever. This article is pretty much right on the money on the subject. A quick search on Autotrader shows 27 PMCs available nationwide, including that one near Milwaukee still. That doesn't mean the other 333 flew off the shelves, nor that every one was ever listed online. But one thing is certain: that each of those 360 TLXs got a prime spot indoors smack in the middle of the showroom floor, where some still sit. The "real" worth of the TLX must be broken down to mean anything:
  • Loaded performance version V6 SH-AWD with either Advance or Tech/Aspec around $45k before incentives (this late in the cycle, I doubt they are fetching that much). These are/were probably 33% of leases and sales.
  • The other 67% are/were I4 Base or Tech around $33-39k.
I'm just guessing based on what I see around town and on Autotrader. Most are I4. Few are V6. Even fewer are V6 SH-AWD. Meaning most already cling to the I4 as being enough value/luxury/performance proposition for the money. As in the "better" TLX (ironically it's actually not better) is not worth the extra $7k. Now they want to sell a PMC for $50k and a Type S variant for even more, presumably with some additional cost proportional to extra performance?

Thats weird, because I see it announced in all the car mags I subscribe to. They have an entire listing of new vehicles coming out with numbers listed, a photo of each is included as well as prices.
Me too. I can't remember the last car I followed from concept to release... but IIRC, details and specs for a new car are typically out months before a car hits the lot. How could they not? The government needs to test safety and fuel economy. Magazines typically review the vehicles before they go on sale. I'm sure nowadays you can build you car online and pre-order too, so some amount of information must be available beforehand. Cars aren't kept secret (like Acura is doing with the Type S) until the car haulers reach the dealerships. It's delusional to believe that.

Last edited by someguy11; 01-03-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:51 PM
Instructor

M3 - 500+ hp “supercar”

This is quite easy as Acura already has a 2.0t/10AT combo with 272hp in the RDX. Expect that drivetrain to be in the base TLX’s with the 365+hp 3.0T in the Type-S. That’s just common sense.
a35tl (01-03-2020), CollinR4 (01-04-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmski
Not convinced that the 4 cyl will be going in the new MDX or TLX. I can see the all new 6 cyl detuned with smaller turbos for regular TLX and MDX pushing around 330hp. Type S, close to 400hp or even higher. There's no way in hell that Acura is spending all the R&D money just to drop this all new motor only in Type S, which will only bring a fraction of total sales.
Why not? BMW, Audi and MB do it.
- Audi A4 2.0t Quattro - Audi S4 3.0t Quattro
- BMW 330i 2.0t - BMW M340i 3.0t
- Mercedes C300 2.0t - Mercedes C43 AMG 3.0t

I highly doubt the 3.0t will be limited to just the MDX-S/TLX-S. RLX, a ZDX (rumored) and I’m sure something else will come along. The 2.0t will see duty in the regular TLX trims. The base MDX will get a J30/Hybrid setup with the 3.0t for the Type-S. Japan wanted to kill the J-Series completely and replace it with the 2.0t. HMA (Honda of America) fought back and got to keep the J...for now anyway.

Last edited by SuperHandlingTL; 01-03-2020 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Had to add more info
Old 01-03-2020, 04:07 PM
Instructor

This is a bad take. Just because the PMC is priced so high doesn’t mean it’s actually worth that much. The Type-S isn’t going to be handbuilt, have some fancy paint job, etc. You can option a base Porsche 911 well above $120K...so why is it that the 911 S starts at $113K? Subaru is charging $65K for the STI S209...does that mean the next gen STI will be north of $65K? Of course not. But I stand by my argument; if Acura doesn’t price the Type-S below its German competitors, it’ll sell like the PMC.

As for the RDX interior, just because it’s much improved over the 2G model doesn’t mean anything. And yes, I’ve had a lot of time inside one, even as a loaner. I was unimpressed when you compare it to the Germans. The big stack in the middle with the huge drive mode dial feels tacky and unrefined. The gauges are a generation behind. There’s still a lot of plastics in the center control stack. I’m sure some people like the futuristic look of it, but I’m not a fan of it. IMO the new Mercedes with the MBUX system looks and feels much nicer, and that’s the the TLX will have to compete against.
The PMC isn’t priced back concerting what you get. Its the only TLX you can get with the A-Spec and Advance package, A comparably equipped C300, 330i or A4 Quattro is at least $5-12K more.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:42 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Some really odd and ignorant comments here. People are talking about the current TLX and how its offered. Let me tell you a few things.

1.) The current TLX, fell under the old management and president Ito. It was made by bean counters just like the current MDX, RLX, ILX, and last gen RDX. Previous management, board of directors and shareholders WOULD NOT give Acura the resources it needed to be competitive. So Acura did the best they could do with recycled components, drivetrains and platforms from Honda.

2.) Since then, there’s a new president (Hachigo) and a huge shuffle in management. Hachigo vowed to give Acura more resources and that’s exactly what happened. That’s why the Precision Concept was born. That’s why the 2019 RDX got an exclusive Acura platform as its no longer based on the CR-V. That’s why Acura will get the 2.0t and the all new 3.0t. That’s why Acura developed the 4th generation of SH-AWD that as of now, only the RDX has. That’s why A-Spec, Type-S, etc etc made a comeback.

3.) In regards to power, it will at least have 365hp although even at that rating, it’ll be underrated. This engine will debut a number of new technologies that even the Germans haven’t really offered on a large scale. However, the car won’t be as quick as the new M340i but its all around performance envelop should easily eclipse the Audi S4 Quattro and be closer to the Mercedes C43 although the Benz may be a bit quicker on the straights. someone mentioned the Infiniti. Drive that car and see why it cant touch the M340i or the C43. I’ve recently sampled the C43 and the M340i and while the BMW was quicker, the C43 was the better car overall. Why? The C43 felt more closer to the C63 in character and it felt special. It chassis/suspension was more aggressive by a good margin, the exhaust was louder, the intake was louder and the car overall just seemed more aggressive. The BMW by contrast, was softer and simply felt like a faster 330i. The BMW’s drivetrain was superior to the C43’s but that’s really its only advantage in my findings.

What is your guess about transmisstion of TLX-S? 10AT or something else? If they had to neuter the power of 2.0T RDX in lower gears to protect even latest version of SH-AWD, i am curious how they will put power down of 3.0T.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:00 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
What is your guess about transmisstion of TLX-S? 10AT or something else? If they had to neuter the power of 2.0T RDX in lower gears to protect even latest version of SH-AWD, i am curious how they will put power down of 3.0T.
Rumour has it that they’re using an all new DSG gearbox. Take with salt of course.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
The Type S likely will be all-wheel-drive adapted to rear-wheel-drive, muscle-car proportions. Acura engineers have not yet selected an engine. Decisions on what technology to load into the vehicle will come in the future, Davidson says.
https://www.wardsauto.com/technology...ew-life-sedans

An awful lot of very important details to sort out yet...
Old 01-03-2020, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by alpha0

Beefed up 10AT.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ESHBG
The Type S likely will be all-wheel-drive adapted to rear-wheel-drive, muscle-car proportions. Acura engineers have not yet selected an engine. Decisions on what technology to load into the vehicle will come in the future, Davidson says.
https://www.wardsauto.com/technology...ew-life-sedans

An awful lot of very important details to sort out yet...

that doesn’t even make sense. it still uses a transverse layout and will have standard SH-AWD...albeit a special version. The system is variable so......
Old 01-04-2020, 01:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
As I a very satisfied owner of a 2.4 Elite TLX, I would not be interested in a Type S, and would be pleased if the base engine version came fully equipped as an option and offered something similar to an Audi 4 or BMW 330 with about 255 HP and excellent fuel economy. Although the 3.0 T will be the halo model and important for brand prestige, the large majority of drivers will prefer a nicely equipped car that looks good, performs well, and gets good fuel economy, with the option of SH-AWD.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:28 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
As I a very satisfied owner of a 2.4 Elite TLX, I would not be interested in a Type S, and would be pleased if the base engine version came fully equipped as an option and offered something similar to an Audi 4 or BMW 330 with about 255 HP and excellent fuel economy. Although the 3.0 T will be the halo model and important for brand prestige, the large majority of drivers will prefer a nicely equipped car that looks good, performs well, and gets good fuel economy, with the option of SH-AWD.
TBH, the current 3.5V6 is very efficient and burns only a tad more gas as compared to the 4cyl. I think it's a waste of time to keep the 4 banger, I know the Germans do it, so what, the all new motor will be even more efficient and have the base car push 330hp. You need to give consumers a reason to buy your car over the competition at the same or lowe price.

I was also not impressed with the RDX interior. Sure it's better than what currently Acura offers but that's not a high bar to beat. Have a look at what the next gen Kia is offering interior wise. It's a damn shocker. It blows away TLX current interior and that's coming from an econo car
Old 01-04-2020, 07:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Didn't see this here:

some spy video from yesterday posted on instagram:

https://www. instagram.com/p/B63jRnYgkZg/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Remove the "space" between www. and instagram for it to work; otherwise the link disappears.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Didn't see this here:

some spy video from yesterday posted on instagram:

https://www. instagram.com/p/B63jRnYgkZg/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Remove the "space" between www. and instagram for it to work; otherwise the link disappears.
Funny everyone in the comments are guessing Audi. It seems that's the most loved German brand on here

I'm curious who is that lady driving? Acura giving random people test drives for feed back? Do they do that type stuff?
Old 01-05-2020, 12:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
The next gen base TLX will get a 2.0 turbo (around 275hp) with the 10AT and optional SH-AWD. Trim levels are the base, Tech, A-Spec and Advance. The Type-S will get the 3.0t, 10AT and a special version of SH-AWD.
internalaudit (01-06-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 12:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmski
TBH, the current 3.5V6 is very efficient and burns only a tad more gas as compared to the 4cyl. I think it's a waste of time to keep the 4 banger, I know the Germans do it, so what, the all new motor will be even more efficient and have the base car push 330hp. You need to give consumers a reason to buy your car over the competition at the same or lowe price.

I was also not impressed with the RDX interior. Sure it's better than what currently Acura offers but that's not a high bar to beat. Have a look at what the next gen Kia is offering interior wise. It's a damn shocker. It blows away TLX current interior and that's coming from an econo car
The 2.0t will replace the 3.5. It’ll offer more torque, similar FE and a better transmission. It should have around 270hp which only trails the Alfa Giulia Ti 2.0t as of now. The C300, Audi A4 and 330 all are around the 250hp mark. 330hp in the base car is overkill.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:30 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Looks like it has some weird v shape in the front middle air dam.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR
I actually do know.. I think you're the one that doesn't know as much if you think getting close to 5 seconds for the Type S model is impressive. Do a little more research and you'll see the 2.0T Accord was testing by C&D at 5.3 seconds so why would a Type S be 5 seconds? That's more base model 2.0T numbers. Do you honestly think you're the only one getting any information about the Type S since you got a release date? Not so much. Check my information when the Type S comes out and you'll see.
Considering where the TLX has been 0-60 a 5 second time is a big improvement. The type R civic has C&D 0-60 of 4.9 seconds. Much lighter car and is rated just over 300 HP. I don't claim any inside knowledge of what HP or times the new Type S will have but will be surprised if it exceeds the type R performance. The GM I knew well left the dealer a while back so I don't have any line on what to expect. I hope you are right but I guess it will be a few months till they officially release any info. I do think that if they don't get the trans right the extra power will be muted to a good extent.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
how much torque and HP can 10sp transmission handle? Would not surprise me that HP is limited to protect the tranny.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
how much torque and HP can 10sp transmission handle? Would not surprise me that HP is limited to protect the tranny.
The current torque limit is 275. I’m not sure about the HP limit, but the RLX makes 310 HP and it has the 10 speed. I guess it has increased since this article because the RDX makes 280 lb-ft.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...-clutch-pedal/

Last edited by WTF.Acura; 01-05-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Considering where the TLX has been 0-60 a 5 second time is a big improvement. The type R civic has C&D 0-60 of 4.9 seconds. Much lighter car and is rated just over 300 HP. I don't claim any inside knowledge of what HP or times the new Type S will have but will be surprised if it exceeds the type R performance. The GM I knew well left the dealer a while back so I don't have any line on what to expect. I hope you are right but I guess it will be a few months till they officially release any info. I do think that if they don't get the trans right the extra power will be muted to a good extent.

0-60 for a 370ish HP car with AWD is slow. The Type-S should be in the low to mid 4 sec range with a mid to high 12 sec ET in the 1/4.

Quick Reply: Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)