2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 12:53 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
The new Integra is available with a 6MT!!! Why the he11 didn't Acura give us the choice on the Type-S???
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 01:27 PM
Family Hauler

Received 164 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by mike03a3
The new Integra is available with a 6MT!!! Why the he11 didn't Acura give us the choice on the Type-S???
I’m sure they’re offering the 6MT because the new Integra will be offered with a 1.5L turbo engine, more than likely similar to some of the other Hondas. I don’t see any manufacturers offering manual transmissions with anything bigger than a 4 cylinder. Granted there are some exceptions, for the most part, automatics are becoming the only option - hence the slogan, “save the manuals!”
The following 2 users liked this post by caLiTLX:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-12-2021), WTF.Acura (11-15-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 01:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by caLiTLX
I’m sure they’re offering the 6MT because the new Integra will be offered with a 1.5L turbo engine, more than likely similar to some of the other Hondas. I don’t see any manufacturers offering manual transmissions with anything bigger than a 4 cylinder. Granted there are some exceptions, for the most part, automatics are becoming the only option - hence the slogan, “save the manuals!”
I can't help but wonder if they were basically forced to offer a 6MT because they intend on offering the CVT for the automatic version. They would lose absolutely all credibility if the only transmission offered for this car was a CVT, but at least now if they do offer the CVT they can say "look, there's a 6MT for enthusiasts, who cares if the automatic is a CVT".
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-12-2021), leomio2.0 (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Just for fun will hit a few items & to save typing, sore arm.

BMW key fob tells all (almost) centralized data base. Have had tuned BMW's since 2011 still have one at lest for the next few weeks. All have been blind eyed by the dealers because I never did anything that tripped the SS Key Fob. Tunes all were Piggy Back no flashes. The piggy back has a revert to stock tune at the push of a button. The box fits the the ECU coffin which is buried under atone of plastic trim. FMIC hardware does not trip the key fob if ignored by the service tech. Various intake items same as FMIC. Never used down pipes will fail state visual inspection. Service tech will rat you out, not worth their job. You might find a friendly 3rd party inspection service for this but I was never trying to squeeze maximum power out of the car.

What ELIN says about speed when asked no matter what I am driving outside of the pickup truck I just say "its quick" & leave it at that.

As for Mrs. CheeseyPoofs McNut, What is fast enough on the ramp when you mash it is a variable based on the person driving.

bilirubin's picture of the new Integra. Nice looking car with the ugliest Yellow paint I have ever seen. Don't like yellow on cars from the get go but on my most ugly yellow list would rate this

On the whole what people say when they look at your car. Get looks at some of mine & just say "thank you". I don't see it as a big deal. That said we did do a "How do you make a Ferrari Disappear" thing on one of the sites after the "FORD VS FERRARI" move that our get together group went to see at the invite of the theater manager

Ferrari belongs to the guy in the white baseball hat & is one of the cars that does an occasional Thunder Run (exhausts on sport on nonexistent) up 540 along with a few other exotics, a FORD Raptor & the FFR.

Old 11-12-2021, 02:07 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I'm confused - does the new Integra mean the end of the ILX?

And shouldn't it be the IntergaX???
Old 11-12-2021, 02:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Wanted to add one thing. When a BMW warranty claim goes past a specific (unknown) dollar amount the dealer is bypassed & it goes into what is known as a PUMA case. Data from ECU is sent to Germany. It is alleged (Not Proven afaik) that they can detect if a Piggy Back has be on the car. Generally talking about major engine, transmission or differential damage.

Never had one so can't speak from experience.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:47 PM
Car Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut

I feel like Acura is pulling the Dogde Neon to Dart. 😁
Old 11-12-2021, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts

My dealer indicated that while the Integra isn’t a direct replacement for the ILX, the Integra’s arrival will signal the end of the ILX.
CheeseyPoofs McNut (11-13-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 06:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
My dealer indicated that while the Integra isn’t a direct replacement for the ILX, the Integra’s arrival will signal the end of the ILX.
The ILX is largely based off the Civic Si...the Integra is largely based off the Civic Si. The ILX is Acura's entry-level compact sedan...the Integra is Acura's entry-level compact sedan. I'm struggling to understand how Acura can call it anything but a direct replacement. Just because it has "hatch" instead of a traditional trunk?
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
leomio2.0 (11-12-2021), MarcoTLX (11-13-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 06:32 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Looks and compliments

Over the years I've had a few reactions to vehicles I've owned, some reactions more interesting than others.

In 1974, when my Series 3 E-Type was new, a guy at the next pump at the gas station walked over, stared at the V12 emblem on the boot lid, and finally asked "what kind of gas mileage do you get?" I just laughed and told him if I really cared about fuel economy I wouldn't have a 12 cylinder engine, (This was during the OPEC gas crisis)
The E-Type is a beautiful car, and is pretty much guaranteed to draw a small audience when it's out for a drive. Some compliment me, some ask what it is, and some just look.

My favorite was my 1988 Jaguar XJS Hess & Eisenhardt Convertible, another V12. In the '80s the XJS was a great Grand Touring car, fast and smooth riding, but the styling of the roof was very off-putting to many, including me. The flying buttress style just looked awkward. At the time most companies had abandoned convertibles, expecting NHTSA to effectively ban them with new safety standards. When that didn't happen Jaguar of North America commissioned Hess & Eisenhardt, a coachbuilder of armored cars and presidential limos, to convert some XJS coupes into convertibles. This was the result:

Mine was the same Grenadier Red, but with gray leather. The first year I had it, it always drew admirers. And some unusual responses.
At the time I worked in a medium sized highrise office building in Tyson Corner Virginia. I managed to score a reserved indoor parking spot between two pillars, so I didn't need to worry about anyone parking next to me. My space was near the elevator lobby so people coming from the main parking garage would be passing by on their way into the building. The ground floor was a fairly high class restaurant with a large bar that was a popular gathering spot for young professionals after work. Those of us who worked in the building referred to it as the meat market, since it was a target rich environment full of young women. A surprising number would leave a business card or a slip of paper with their number on the windshield. I was never inclined to follow up on the implied invitations, partly because I wasn't too interested in any woman who would leave her number on a strange car, and partly because my wife would have taken a dim view of the idea. She did find the notes amusing though.

After that first year Jag started building factory XJS convertibles, which were pretty popular and became a common sight in Northern Virginia, so mine lost the appeal of its uniqueness.

Last edited by mike03a3; 11-12-2021 at 06:35 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by mike03a3:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-12-2021), BOWA41 (11-13-2021), Honda430 (11-12-2021), MarcoTLX (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 06:32 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
​​​​​

Up to your old tricks again I see. Going from "millionaires and billionaires drive mclarens" to "all tech workers drive mclarens".
Can you not read and do math or just plain ignorant?

Origina lly Posted by Kense View Post
Have you ever been here? The majority have nice cars and houses. You may be talking about Old rich people I don't know. The Millionaires and Billionaires out here are mostly younger people who like buying nice things. There's over 200,000 Millionaires and Billionaires out here and probably another million or so people making over $300,000. Their beater commute car may be a Porche Cayenne GTS and their weekend cars are McLaren's or something I see it all the time .
200,000 and probably another million = ~1.2M driving McLarens or something

But then again your interior car measurements are better than the manufacturers
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post16752424

Up to your old tricks again I see?

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-13-2021 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:45 AM
AZ Community Team

Over the years I've had a few reactions to vehicles I've owned, some reactions more interesting than others.

In 1974, when my Series 3 E-Type was new, a guy at the next pump at the gas station walked over, stared at the V12 emblem on the boot lid, and finally asked "what kind of gas mileage do you get?" I just laughed and told him if I really cared about fuel economy I wouldn't have a 12 cylinder engine, (This was during the OPEC gas crisis)
The E-Type is a beautiful car, and is pretty much guaranteed to draw a small audience when it's out for a drive. Some compliment me, some ask what it is, and some just look.

My favorite was my 1988 Jaguar XJS Hess & Eisenhardt Convertible, another V12. In the '80s the XJS was a great Grand Touring car, fast and smooth riding, but the styling of the roof was very off-putting to many, including me. The flying buttress style just looked awkward. At the time most companies had abandoned convertibles, expecting NHTSA to effectively ban them with new safety standards. When that didn't happen Jaguar of North America commissioned Hess & Eisenhardt, a coachbuilder of armored cars and presidential limos, to convert some XJS coupes into convertibles. This was the result:

Mine was the same Grenadier Red, but with gray leather. The first year I had it, it always drew admirers. And some unusual responses.
At the time I worked in a medium sized highrise office building in Tyson Corner Virginia. I managed to score a reserved indoor parking spot between two pillars, so I didn't need to worry about anyone parking next to me. My space was near the elevator lobby so people coming from the main parking garage would be passing by on their way into the building. The ground floor was a fairly high class restaurant with a large bar that was a popular gathering spot for young professionals after work. Those of us who worked in the building referred to it as the meat market, since it was a target rich environment full of young women. A surprising number would leave a business card or a slip of paper with their number on the windshield. I was never inclined to follow up on the implied invitations, partly because I wasn't too interested in any woman who would leave her number on a strange car, and partly because my wife would have taken a dim view of the idea. She did find the notes amusing though.

After that first year Jag started building factory XJS convertibles, which were pretty popular and became a common sight in Northern Virginia, so mine lost the appeal of its uniqueness.
Still in the Northern Virginia area? If so have you been to Katie's Cars and Coffees in Great Falls or Rockville car show in the fall? Both pretty good events. Also there's a friend of friend in Howard County, Maryland who hosts a annual car show on their estate every summer with ~80 exotics showing up as well as alot of car folks. One NASA aerospace engineer who shows up to that there has three XJ-S's, which he's restored and knows alot about them from the rear inboard brake/diff subframes to hotchpodge of Lucas and Bosch electrics.
MarcoTLX (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 07:02 AM
AZ Community Team

I'm confused too, IIRC wasn't' it like in the mid-90's Acura did some marketing research and discovered their car names were more popular than the Acura name so they wanted to promote the Acura name and also project more like the Europeans with the letter nomenclature so SLX, TL, RL,... started. Although the NSX was special guess in it's nomenclature was related to it's concept acronym. Now to make it more confusing is how Porsche went away from numbers to names for their non-sportscar models.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:05 AM
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Sorry to disagree with you, but the TLX does not compete with the Jaguar E-Type nor the XJS. I'd even say 99% of TLX buyers didn't even consider a 2021 Jaguar XF, let alone a vintage E-Type or XJS. The Jaguar XE would be a direct competitor, but that was discontinued in the TLX's market.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:24 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 364 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
Sorry to disagree with you, but the TLX does not compete with the Jaguar E-Type nor the XJS. I'd even say 99% of TLX buyers didn't even consider a 2021 Jaguar XF, let alone a vintage E-Type or XJS. The Jaguar XE would be a direct competitor, but that was discontinued in the TLX's market.
?????? Mike was comparing and more so sharing his experience of how often his older jags got attention in the public(which was piggy backing off of others who said their TLX garners nice compliments from people out in public). Nothing at all mentioning how it competes with Jaguar
The following 2 users liked this post by MarcoTLX:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-13-2021), WTF.Acura (11-15-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 07:45 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
The TYPE S and G70 comparison was pretty good. Although these guys are clearly biased toward the Genesis for a long time but they were honest in their review. Of course everything is subjective but I think they were right or I should say agree with them 80-85% of the time.

I believe the G70 interior is better and looks richer but exterior is type all the way.
G70 is faster but the type S drives and handles better.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
bilirubin (11-13-2021), MarcoTLX (11-13-2021), norsairius (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 09:46 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
?????? Mike was comparing and more so sharing his experience of how often his older jags got attention in the public(which was piggy backing off of others who said their TLX garners nice compliments from people out in public). Nothing at all mentioning how it competes with Jaguar
And this is the "2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition" thread, we ought to stay on topic, don't you agree?

Originally Posted by vhtran
Interesting how Jacob felt the Type S would be quicker than the G70 around the track.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:46 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
And this is the "2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition" thread, we ought to stay on topic, don't you agree?

Interesting how Jacob felt the Type S would be quicker than the G70 around the track.
Based on the comments on YouTube none of the haters seemed to have heard any of the positives points about the Type S that were made by the reviewers. The odd thing was that many of the comments reflected the belief that the reviewers had trashed the Type S when in reality they both stated they’d purchase a Type S over a G70. Even weirder was that many of the haters bad talked the folks in the comments that agreed with the reviewers. I find it hard to understand why many who would never even consider buying an Acura have so much hate for this vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
Tony Pac (11-13-2021), WTF.Acura (11-15-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 11:10 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Honda430
Based on the comments on YouTube none of the haters seemed to have heard any of the positives points about the Type S that were made by the reviewers. The odd thing was that many of the comments reflected the belief that the reviewers had trashed the Type S when in reality they both stated they’d purchase a Type S over a G70. Even weirder was that many of the haters bad talked the folks in the comments that agreed with the reviewers. I find it hard to understand why many who would never even consider buying an Acura have so much hate for this vehicle.
I saw the comments aswell and seen sooo much hate for the the type-s! BMW this and Genesis that in the comments… meanwhile they probably couldn’t afford any of the cars in the specific segment without taking a 66-72 month loan on it truth be told.. but I digress.
Tony Pac (11-13-2021), WTF.Acura (11-15-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 12:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Well said! The reality is both of them were impressed by Type S and they picked type S over the G70. And I am telling you these two dudes are very pro Genesis.

I think the type S is a solid vehicle at this price point and handles very well. I do understand some people complain about the power and that’s a valid point. If you want a faster and 0-60 in under 4 min, then this isn’t for you. Simple is that.

I had the ASPEC for an entire day and let me tell you, the car is heavy and you feel that weight.

Last edited by Tony Pac; 11-13-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

The truth is very few people can tell the difference between a car that does 0 to 60 in 5.9 vs a car that does it in 5.5 by the seat of their pants.I'll wager only a select group of people who spend a lot of time driving or testing cars can really tell.

Excluding hard core car enthusiasts - what happens on the Internet ("The Kaboom XVQ does 0 to 60 in 5.1 seconds and is 10k cheaper than the Zinger TYB which only does it in 5.3. Only an idiot would buy the Zinger!!! ") isn't what happens in real life ("Oh - that looks nice. I think I want to test drive it!!")

When my wife test drives a car she simply gets on the on ramp and mashes the gas - if it goes fast enough it passes the test.
Yeah I would agree with that & is why "feels like" is BS. For normal enthusiast drivers it has to be measured. I can tell if I have had a good or bad launch but to convert that into a time spread, Nah. Same goes for the guy who buys the latest 10bhp improver part who says how quick his car is now. Basic super placebo factor in play. Last thing the faster a car is the harder (more expensive) it is to make it go faster.

A professional can tell times it but they are very special people. Take a ride with one on a track & you will understand how special the are. On YouTube performance tests listen to someone who makes an estimate before he/she looks at the clock & nails it.
norsairius (11-14-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 02:13 PM
Air Vice Marshal

OK, I'll bite. What are you disagreeing with? I certainly didn't say the TLX competes with any Jag. Once very popular in my area and a common sight on the highways they lost their way years ago and are practically extinct. I wouldn't have considered a current one instead of the Type-S I intended to purchase. Jag doesn't even offer a V-6, much less a V-8. I'm pretty sure the XF is already announced as discontinued. My Jag dealer is basically a Range Rover dealer these days. Sad.

My post was strictly a response to the various posts of people admiring the TLXs. With the right color, I agree they are a good looking car. Personally I find the current styling trends with huge air intakes and vents at the corners and angular lines a bit too boy racer for my taste. (My wife hates them.) But to each his own. If we all liked the same things there's a danger we would have all wound up driving lime green Ford Marvericks. Some people love the gaping maw they call a grille on many new cars. I can't forgive Audi for starting that trend. If you want to see hate mail and styling squabbles go to the BMW fora and read the messages about their new beavertooth grilles.

As for the people looking and commenting, I just gave two examples I found amusing about my own cars in the past. Weather you like it or not, the E-Type was and is an iconic example of a beautifully styled car. That's not my opinion, that's why it was chosen as an art exhibit by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, and called “the greatest crumpetcollector known to man” by Road & Track magazine.
The XJS was a beauty in its day, but the point of that anecdote was that it was attracting women to the point they would leave their number on a car that may have belonged to serial killer for all they knew. They made assumptions about me indirectly because that car was parked near an upscale restaurant. I found that both amusing and a bit alarming.

Finally, as others have said, 98 or 99% of the population and most of the onlookers have no idea about the merits of a vehicle they are looking. Some are attracted to shiny things, some to ones at are unusual, and some few to the actual merits of it.

Park a 2CV on the street and I guarantee it will draw a crowd, and comments for the owner. I still would never want one.
MarcoTLX (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 02:25 PM
Pro

OK, I'll bite. What are you disagreeing with? I certainly didn't say the TLX competes with any Jag. Once very popular in my area and a common sight on the highways they lost their way years ago and are practically extinct. I wouldn't have considered a current one instead of the Type-S I intended to purchase. Jag doesn't even offer a V-6, much less a V-8. I'm pretty sure the XF is already announced as discontinued. My Jag dealer is basically a Range Rover dealer these days. Sad.

My post was strictly a response to the various posts of people admiring the TLXs. With the right color, I agree they are a good looking car. Personally I find the current styling trends with huge air intakes and vents at the corners and angular lines a bit too boy racer for my taste. (My wife hates them.) But to each his own. If we all liked the same things there's a danger we would have all wound up driving lime green Ford Marvericks. Some people love the gaping maw they call a grille on many new cars. I can't forgive Audi for starting that trend. If you want to see hate mail and styling squabbles go to the BMW fora and read the messages about their new beavertooth grilles.

As for the people looking and commenting, I just gave two examples I found amusing about my own cars in the past. Weather you like it or not, the E-Type was and is an iconic example of a beautifully styled car. That's not my opinion, that's why it was chosen as an art exhibit by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, and called “the greatest crumpetcollector known to man” by Road & Track magazine.
The XJS was a beauty in its day, but the point of that anecdote was that it was attracting women to the point they would leave their number on a car that may have belonged to serial killer for all they knew. They made assumptions about me indirectly because that car was parked near an upscale restaurant. I found that both amusing and a bit alarming.

Finally, as others have said, 98 or 99% of the population and most of the onlookers have no idea about the merits of a vehicle they are looking. Some are attracted to shiny things, some to ones at are unusual, and some few to the actual merits of it.

Park a 2CV on the street and I guarantee it will draw a crowd, and comments for the owner. I still would never want one.

Sir, This Is an Arby's

(jk, this is the "2021 TLX vs The Competition" thread, please remain on topic, thanks)
WTF.Acura (11-15-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Sir, This Is an Arby's

(jk, this is the "2021 TLX vs The Competition" thread, please remain on topic, thanks)
Think some of us are still trying to figure out what the competition is. . Seems to be a moving target.
MarcoTLX (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
1. If we all liked the same things there's a danger we would have all wound up driving lime green Ford Mavericks.

2. Some people love the gaping maw they call a grille on many new cars. I can't forgive Audi for starting that trend. If you want to see hate mail and styling squabbles go to the BMW fora and read the messages about their new beavertooth grilles.
1. Agreed

2. Looks ok I think. Better grill than Lexus at least. On most Audis (sans eTron ) we need the grill for air-flow. Yes, it's in their design-language now and they are keeping it. See this:

We bought 2014-MDX with it's beak and all. We were more interested in the newly designed 7-seater and buying our first Acura vehicle.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:43 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Think some of us are still trying to figure out what the competition is. . Seems to be a moving target.
I love the TLX for everything it is and isn’t but LMAO this was quite funny
BEAR-AvHistory (11-13-2021), norsairius (11-14-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 12:48 AM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by norsairius
Based on my time owning VWs and BMWs, frequenting forums for them, etc., the majority of evidence points to dealers syncing to a central records database where cars can be flagged accordingly, so I'd be interested to know more about how the Audi dealer your wife works at evaluates cars that come in for service or more specifically, what kind of records they check/update, if at all. I agree that the dealer can't necessarily see what was done, but they should be able to see a flash counter at least and tracking that across a certified dealer network shouldn't be difficult and there's plenty of evidence of that actually happening.

BMW at least has some form of centralized record-keeping within its service network as any dealer can pull service records for any BMW no matter where the service was performed as long as it was at a BMW dealership. I assume other manufacturers have something very similar as your warranty should be valid at any certified dealership/service center, so they'd need to be able to look up your VIN and see the in-service/warranty start date, etc. I imagine such a system also helps track if recall/TSB work has been performed on a car if you were to take it to a new dealership later on (for example, if you move or if the car is sold and purchased by someone else who takes it in for service elsewhere) so that the dealership doesn't perform the work again and so the manufacturer isn't paying to have it done again.

We're also talking about manufacturers that know exactly which cars to recall if a batch of bad bolts are used on the production line because they can track which batch of bolts were used on which cars (BMW VANOS recall on some E9x 3-series for example). I think it's more than plausible that authorized/certified service centers would have a procedure to check vehicles and can mark them as having been tuned OR at least they can see that the flash counter is different from what "home base" says it should be. To that end, I assume a manufacturer would only allow an authorized dealer/service center who would follow such procedures to do ECU flashes. Otherwise, they wouldn't provide the ECU firmware/software directly to them.

Quick search online shows plenty of evidence of TD1 being an issue for tuned vehicles (even if flashed back to stock):Anyway, that said, I personally wouldn't gamble with a tune. More power to ya if you're willing to take the risk and "pay to play" but that's just not for me. I don't think I've seen as much discussion about how much Honda/Acura dealers look for tunes vs. the German marques, so maybe it's easier to get away with. I haven't researched it much though. Regardless, I hope we see more tuning options for the 2G TLX though. I think it would be good for the enthusiast community.
This is strictly Audi and doesn't apply to any other brand. It could but I have no direct info from a tech at another brand. They said they can see a tune if it is still loaded of course and they do have to flag it. I believe they advise people that appear they may have a tune about it. Leads to people not leaving their car sometimes....

I'd find it hard to believe they have any interconnected system tracking service because every dealer is a franchise. They all can use whatever software for their service records they want. The information is technically private for the vehicle owner. If BMW has such a system, they are forcing their dealers to use it and it is the exception vs the rule. As I said in her 4 brands she has experience at, none had any centralized service records. Before she worked those jobs I assumed dealers could see all work done at the dealer as well. Not the case at all or if it is possible they don't know how or aren't interested in the effort to look it up. There is a separate system for recalls where they can look them up and see if completed and they do report them as being complete if they do the work, same as all brands. I believe warranty info is in the same system as recall info. It doesn't record warranty work done though. Those are submitted to the manufacturer on a case by case basis AFAIK.

Imagine the data required for example one of the Big 3 to keep and store all those service records. Make them accessible to all dealers across the nation etc. Keeping in mind no dealers are owned by the brand and none will do things the same as the next location. It would be an IT nightmare.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:30 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Well said! The reality is both of them were impressed by Type S and they picked type S over the G70. And I am telling you these two dudes are very pro Genesis.

I think the type S is a solid vehicle at this price point and handles very well. I do understand some people complain about the power and that’s a valid point. If you want a faster and 0-60 in under 4 min, then this isn’t for you. Simple is that.

I had the ASPEC for an entire day and let me tell you, the car is heavy and you feel that weight.
There's more to the story. They were not that into Aspec when TLX launched and Yuri apsolutely trashed the car on his personal Instagram. Pretty sure Acura black listed them. That Type S was probably not a press car and you could see them almost biting their lip when complementing the Type S.

Even Jacob said I probably would just pick Genesis if I didn't drive the Type S. Uhm, isn't that the whole point of reviewing cars????
The following 5 users liked this post by dmski:
BOWA41 (11-15-2021), Honda430 (11-14-2021), MarcoTLX (11-14-2021), Tony Pac (11-14-2021), WTF.Acura (11-15-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 01:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by dmski
There's more to the story. They were not that into Aspec when TLX launched and Yuri apsolutely trashed the car on his personal Instagram. Pretty sure Acura black listed them. That Type S was probably not a press car and you could see them almost biting their lip when complementing the Type S.

Even Jacob said I probably would just pick Genesis if I didn't drive the Type S. Uhm, isn't that the whole point of reviewing cars????
yes I remember very well. They trashed the TLX like it’s garbage. That was a clear message that they were super biased. And even now, I noticed they were hesitant to say that the type S is a good car. Throughout the review, they just wanted to find more positive things about the G70, like front look. Clearly the Type S looks better and it’s more sportier. There is no secret to it. Anyway, if you want to buy the Type S and want a true review. Savagegeese is your guy!
The following 3 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
BOWA41 (11-15-2021), MarcoTLX (11-14-2021), WTF.Acura (11-15-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by jwtarbaj
This is strictly Audi and doesn't apply to any other brand. It could but I have no direct info from a tech at another brand. They said they can see a tune if it is still loaded of course and they do have to flag it. I believe they advise people that appear they may have a tune about it. Leads to people not leaving their car sometimes....

I'd find it hard to believe they have any interconnected system tracking service because every dealer is a franchise. They all can use whatever software for their service records they want. The information is technically private for the vehicle owner. If BMW has such a system, they are forcing their dealers to use it and it is the exception vs the rule. As I said in her 4 brands she has experience at, none had any centralized service records. Before she worked those jobs I assumed dealers could see all work done at the dealer as well. Not the case at all or if it is possible they don't know how or aren't interested in the effort to look it up. There is a separate system for recalls where they can look them up and see if completed and they do report them as being complete if they do the work, same as all brands. I believe warranty info is in the same system as recall info. It doesn't record warranty work done though. Those are submitted to the manufacturer on a case by case basis AFAIK.

Imagine the data required for example one of the Big 3 to keep and store all those service records. Make them accessible to all dealers across the nation etc. Keeping in mind no dealers are owned by the brand and none will do things the same as the next location. It would be an IT nightmare.
Originally Posted by jwtarbaj

Gotcha - yeah, it depends on what the OEM wants to mandate within its dealer network. It seems BMW is an anomaly here after all and my days of owning them set my expectations high in this regard. I also learned that BMW's centralized records stop keeping track after warranties/service plans expire (though recall, etc. work will continue to be tracked), which makes sense I guess because that's stuff that costs BMW money. It's the individual dealerships that keep track of services after that.

As for managing the data, based on my experience in working with IT teams over the past decade+, I don't believe it would be a nightmare. The technology is there to do it and it gets better with each passing year, but it obviously comes at a cost. Fortune 500 companies (and many smaller ones) store/process tons data and it's very common to do so. The data, databases, and infrastructure can be designed so that this wouldn't be a nightmare to manage as long as the teams doing so are competent. Every OEM can track materials/parts and which cars they're installed/used on during manufacturing which enables them to recall a specific subset of vehicles in the event there's a parts failure. Considering all the parts that go into making a car and the fact that OEMs can track that level of detail for ALL the cars they produce, service records still seem more than reasonable to keep records of and track. It seems to me it's more a matter of whether an OEM wants to bother investing in the infrastructure to do it because it obviously isn't free to do so, and to your point, many haven't bothered.

While individual dealerships are given some freedom in how they do things, a big part of brand image is providing a consistent experience regardless of location. Luxury brands seem to be more particular about this than "mainstream" brands, but things like interior design of the dealership, branding displays, etc. have been consistent across various dealership locations under the same OEM in my experience. Mandating them to use the same or similar technology wouldn't be a huge ask. McDonald's restaurants use use the same point of sale system, for example. It depends on what the "mothership" wants to mandate that its franchises do or use though.

All that aside, the "flag" mentioned before is still a concern (to me at least) assuming the ECU has a flash counter (or if there's some other some other detection mechanism/tool) and some OEMs seem to track what that counter should be or do more in-depth checks for tunes than others. So while VW/Audi may not track full service records in a centralized database, it seems they will at least flag a car and track that accordingly, based on the evidence I found. I don't know if Honda/Acura does and I'd be interested to know, but even if they don't, I personally wouldn't want to rely on flashing back to stock to avoid issues.

yes I remember very well. They trashed the TLX like it’s garbage. That was a clear message that they were super biased. And even now, I noticed they were hesitant to say that the type S is a good car. Throughout the review, they just wanted to find more positive things about the G70, like front look. Clearly the Type S looks better and it’s more sportier. There is no secret to it. Anyway, if you want to buy the Type S and want a true review. Savagegeese is your guy!
The Straight Pipes used to be better, but it feels like they've gotten kinda stale and I found myself disagreeing with a lot of their complaints about various cars. It's not wrong for them to believe differently than me of course, but I found myself disagreeing with them more consistently and I didn't feel like their explanations for their complaints were holding up, at least to me.

I agree Savagegeese does great car reviews, but he's generally a big Honda/Acura fan, if I'm not mistaken. Though he didn't hold back when criticizing older TLs in his (and Jack's) review of the 2021 TLX.

In addition to Savagegeese, I've found myself watching Throttle House, Redline Reviews, TheTopher (POV car reviews) and Alex on Autos more. Throttle House is probably the most entertaining of the bunch to me. These reviewers all happened to generally like the TLX, but it's not like they didn't have complaints either. I just think these reviewers do a better job explaining their criticisms more while providing more context around them.
The following 2 users liked this post by norsairius:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-14-2021), WTF.Acura (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski

Yes, Honda/Acura has been known (even being called out by SG) as being retaliatory towards reviewers who are overly negative to their vehicles. TSP has been very pro-Honda, and they put out one video where they're not happy with the product and suddenly they're "anti-Acura".

Look up their other videos. Most of their Honda videos sound more like commercials for the car/brand than actual reviews.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
How are they Biased if they feel the car sucks? That's their opinion. Not everybody is going to like everything.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:18 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
How are they Biased if they feel the car sucks? That's their opinion. Not everybody is going to like everything.
Watch the review and see how they come off.... 'I like G70 but after testing the Type S, I like that more I guess.... Not exact quote. Lol. Don't really care if they don't like it. Just give us an honest review. I know it's hard these days and manufacturers will not give you their cars to review if you trash them.

Speaking of Sam, he recently reviewed a new Mazda EV and he was brutally honest. Don't see him getting another Mazda to review any time soon.
WTF.Acura (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by norsairius
Gotcha - yeah, it depends on what the OEM wants to mandate within its dealer network. It seems BMW is an anomaly here after all and my days of owning them set my expectations high in this regard. I also learned that BMW's centralized records stop keeping track after warranties/service plans expire (though recall, etc. work will continue to be tracked), which makes sense I guess because that's stuff that costs BMW money. It's the individual dealerships that keep track of services after that.

All that aside, the "flag" mentioned before is still a concern (to me at least) assuming the ECU has a flash counter (or if there's some other some other detection mechanism/tool) and some OEMs seem to track what that counter should be or do more in-depth checks for tunes than others. So while VW/Audi may not track full service records in a centralized database, it seems they will at least flag a car and track that accordingly, based on the evidence I found. I don't know if Honda/Acura does and I'd be interested to know, but even if they don't, I personally wouldn't want to rely on flashing back to stock to avoid issues.
\
The other poster is correct. If Audi detects a tune if will be flagged in the audi dealer network as TD1. As a result warranty work could be declined as well as goodwill repairs or partial manufacturer coverage for failures after warrranty. Once flagged in the system any audi dealer will have access to the info. TD1 can be for any of the following: modified ECU/suspension/shifter/exhaust. I would assume other brands have similiar abilities to track. My understanding is they can tell if and when the ECU has been flashed, even when it was set back to normal and without receipt or dealer record for it being done it would assume to have been tuned and one time and flagged. The common thing on the audi forums if the dealer can in any way link a failure to a tune warranty or any other good faith repairs will likely be denied. Even so there are a lot of people that go ahead and roll the dice, tune the car even under warranty.
norsairius (11-15-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 06:18 AM
Pro

Watch their review of the A-spec. Name any other review they did where they tested the infotainment's ability to voice-recognize "Yakub W". Also critiques like "the taillights look good, but they're not like the concept, so the taillights look bad", or "the parking pawl is long when you don't use the parking brake, fail" isn't really groundbreaking automotive journalism.
The following 3 users liked this post by bilirubin:
Legend2TL (11-16-2021), Tony Pac (11-16-2021), WTF.Acura (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 08:26 AM
AZ Community Team

I am not saying everyone should like the TLX but if you follow them, then you will see how biased and negative they are towards Acura. Anyway, still they did their review and shared their point of view. We don't have to always agree lol
Old 11-16-2021, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
I am not saying everyone should like the TLX but if you follow them, then you will see how biased and negative they are towards Acura. Anyway, still they did their review and shared their point of view. We don't have to always agree lol

Yes, they were negative to the TLX, but tell me again how they have a history of being 'biased and negative towards Acura'.
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
04WDPSeDaN (11-16-2021), vhtran (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 11:51 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMhIVJp15Ng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jxn9zE_vws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTw8T4cr_6c&t=464s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itJjCpIsrsI&t=383s

Yes, they were negative to the TLX, but tell me again how they have a history of being 'biased and negative towards Acura'.
Listen,

All these Youtubers are bias in their own ways and more so depending on what's being offered under the table. I took some time to read the comments of the TLX-S vs G70 video and honestly, what's the issue? A vast majority stated the same beaten to death issues that the TLX-S is known for.

Here are some comments:

1. G70 for me. Lmao the gap it put on the Type S is crazy. Type S looks dope tho a bit better then the G70 IMO (This is true. The G70 is quicker than TLX-S)

2. The Genesis's simple controls and features are compelling, so I'd choose it over the TLX; but just by a nose length. (Acura's infotainment system has been an issue, so this is true) (Class action lawsuit as well https://www.settlement-claims.com/in...curaindex.aspx)

3. I actually went and drove one and it was a little disappointing. It’s a lot slower than my M340i. Also the markup on the type S was crazy. I only paid $54k for my 2021 m340i since I got a $7k discount from the dealership and the Type S with markup was $67k. Definitely not worth the money. (This is also true and has been verified by many buying the TLX-S and discussed to death here)

4.That TLX is like refusing to drift when you try to make it drift. TSP responded with : Straight up opposite marketing video (This is true, as discussed here as false advertisement by Acura with the power slide and Acura's marketing team pushing out false advertisement ads on their FB/IG account)

5. Real disappointed with the "performance" of the Type S. The car looks great, but unless the next year model brings a launch control, an update to the transmission response, and a less strict traction and boost mitigation, I'd call this car a Type S in name only. I understand trying to protect the motor from excessive boost, but if they upgraded the motor and tranny like they said they did, what's the problem with wringing it out a bit? (This is true as well, as it's been heavily discussed to death here)

6. The G70 is faster because the Acura is a fat pig. The Acura just simply weighs too much. It is incredibly slow for this category. (This is true as well)

A majority of the other comments are just personal opinions on styling and sound. At the core of it, a lot of what was said there was already discussed multiple times here. This is an Acura website, I know there are a hand full in here who are very loyal Acura fans, so I'd expect some to be upset. You can't change facts nor change how people feel about things. The new Integra turned the internet upside down. IMO, most don't like it for many reasons and don't believe it should carry the Integra name . You know it's bad when enthusiast start a change.org petition or when some DM Jon and call him out (I don't agree with). The comments made by some of those loyal Acura fans isn't much if not at all any better than some of the youtubers comments. One here stated that ones dislike is due to not being able to afford the Intergra . I don't quite understand how an opinion reflects on someone's financial well being? . I think it's safe to say many have car payments, not many have the ability to purchase vehicles out right. Food for thought.

As for the person concern about keeping this thread on track, I think you may have missed a completely irrelevant discussion just prior to your post.

As for Sam's videos, at this point we all know his drag races are just for pure entertainment with zero credibility. These are just your average drivers (like most anyway). For what it's worth, it's the closest thing to an actual "Red Light" race you may encounter.

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 11-16-2021 at 11:55 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
BOWA41 (11-17-2021), leomio2.0 (11-16-2021), vhtran (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
They don’t have a history of being biased and negative towards Acura though. Just because you don’t like what they said doesn’t make them biased. Why are you so guarded about Acura? I don’t understand the loyalty to these major companies that don’t give a shit about you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kense:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-16-2021), vhtran (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 02:02 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
3. I actually went and drove one and it was a little disappointing. It’s a lot slower than my M340i. Also the markup on the type S was crazy. I only paid $54k for my 2021 m340i since I got a $7k discount from the dealership and the Type S with markup was $67k. Definitely not worth the money. (This is also true and has been verified by many buying the TLX-S and discussed to death here)
I think the mark up comment here is not really a valid criticism for the Type-S considering many dealers are doing mark ups on their cars not just Acura dealers.
(example there is a Honda dealer who marked up a Civic Type R $40k over the $44k MSRP see picture below

Anyone wanna buy a $85k Civic?)

There are a handful of Acura dealers who have been listed on this sub-forum who aren’t doing markups on any of their cars let alone the Type-S. So anyone paying markup obviously wasn’t willing to travel to or find and deal with a Acura dealership that isn’t charging markup.

Last edited by MarcoTLX; 11-16-2021 at 02:08 PM.
WTF.Acura (11-17-2021)

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition