2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by norsairius
The core case for the TLX vs. its competition is what it offers for the money, at least that's how I look at it. Yes, the TLX loses out in a number of objective performance tests. However, it also costs less.

Since BMW is being discussed so much, I did a quick look at some stock in my area. I'll be comparing MSRP because it's really the best apples-to-apples comparison that can be done on pricing as I'm sure there's some out there that can negotiate a hell of a deal or some incentives may come into play, etc., etc. Anyway, for the sake of simplicity: We're not factoring in a negotiated price or incentives. Just looking at MSRP.

TLX SH-AWD w/Tech Package - this is what I picked up on lease about 2 months ago. MSRP (including destination): ~$45k
Local inventory for a BMW 330i xDrive with about as close to the same features I could find: $51k.

That's a $6k difference, ~13% more than the TLX. The TLX is slower, it's heavier, and it's admittedly not as dynamic. It also gets worse gas mileage. It will not perform as well on a track. However, for everyday driving and the occasional blast on a curvy road or brisk acceleration on an on-ramp, I think it gets the job done really well. It's also very comfortable. Really, with better tires, I think the TLX would be about perfect for me right now.

Anyway, the question many who are cross shopping these cars will end up asking themselves is whether the BMW worth it at $6k more. For some it might be, and that's great. For others, it might not. That price difference though is what I think many are getting at when they say the Acura offers better overall value. The performance may be *close enough* for driving on public roads for many. Traffic and traffic lights are the great equalizer on such roads anyway.

The pricing gap between a TLX-S and a BMW M340i xDrive is even greater at ~$8k when loaded with close to equivalent features (again, doing my best to compare local inventory). Same question will probably be asked: Is the price difference worth it? Personally, anything that can hit 0-60 in ~5s is plenty for me on public roads. Anything much faster, while very fun, just isn't going to be used nearly as often in a safe manner for the roads and traffic I usually drive. Despite my TLX being slower than that, it still feels fast enough for occasional fun. Would I turn down a faster car if it were given to me? No. Do I want to pay for that performance now? Also no.

So again, yes, the competitors objectively perform better. However, they are also more expensive. Anyone pursuing pure performance without as much concern for cost should *not* go for Acura. However, someone trying find more balance between cost vs. performance vs. features? I think Acura makes makes a stronger case there.

I've had a 2009 BMW 328i xDrive Coupe and a 2011 BMW 335i xDrive Sedan. I look back at my time with those cars fondly (mostly). My younger brother also has an M235i xDrive which I've enjoyed driving immensely. BMW, quite simply, makes cars that drive better than anything else I've owned. Including my current TLX. So while I am a fan of BMWs and really appreciate the cars they build, I've become quite a fan of Acura lately and appreciate the cars they build too.

I also personally give Acura the edge on styling, especially when compared to those bucktoothed BMWs (the rest of the BMW lineup looks really good to me though, except maybe the massive-grilled 7-series and X7). I think the 5-series might be the best-looking sedan in their lineup right now.

Anyway, just my $0.02. Sorry, brevity isn't a strong suit of mine.
Reads well. Good logic no issues with it. The TLX-S has its niche & BMW M340 had its. The BMW will always cost more because it can be sold in large numbers at the higher price because its considered a Luxury brand by the public. Supply & demand + desirability. They are one of the most profitable car companies in the world by car sold. They sell more cars than Acura, 2.3 million BMW cars in 2020, why would they give any thought to going "value"? They are a luxury producer not a value producer & their cars sell well.

The market determines what its price should be. The Z4M40i prior to the virus cost MSPR - 16%. Guys are paying MSRP for the same car today. The Bucky Beaver with the folding top is landing on the dock in George tonight cost MSRP - 3% of the balance after a $15,500 deduction for the 135IS as a trade-in. So at the present time MSRP vs MSRP is valid to compare because discounts are rare. I think the price compare is of importance to the TLX-S buyer but does not show up on the M340 buyers radar. The 330, a car I would not buy, is someplace in the middle but the brand label VS the Acura brand carries it to higher pricing. That said the TH guys would buy a 330 M-Sport before the TLX-S. They would also buy the TLX-S before the Lexus IS-500 because they liked the TLX-S radio better - so you can't accuse them of being haters.

Can see some cross shopping at 330 levels but not so much at the M340 level. The M340 offers things that I am reading the TLX guys don't value & does not bring to the table. If they valued them & were truly cross shopping they would be willing to pay for them. By the same token the TLX-S does not offer the things the M340 guys value even though its $5000/6000 cheaper or they would save the money & buy an Acura.

Would also agree the M5 is a good looking car. If I ever wanted a 4 door car I would buy an M5C. Would personally prefer the M4C to have the Z4M40i or M5 grill but a dark color & outstanding performance trumps the toothy grill. Beside you can't see it from the drivers seat & the other guy can only see your rear license plate getting smaller.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-05-2021 at 06:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
MarcoTLX (11-05-2021), norsairius (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 06:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
Have you ever been here? The majority have nice cars and houses. You may be talking about Old rich people I don't know. The Millionaires and Billionaires out here are mostly younger people who like buying nice things. There's over 200,000 Millionaires and Billionaires out here and probably another million or so people making over $300,000. Their beater commute car may be a Porche Cayenne GTS and their weekend cars are McLaren's or something I see it all the time .
Don't bother; he doesn't believe that FAANG (MAANG?) engineers out here are making half a million a year in compensation. Dual income in their 30s at FANG should net close to $1M.
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Don't bother; he doesn't believe that FAANG (MAANG?) engineers out here are making half a million a year in compensation. Dual income in their 30s at FANG should net close to $1M.
I know what my daughter pays her people in the Big Pharma industry & have no problem accepting your numbers. When we talk I keep saying "you pay these people WHAT!!!". Am astounded at what people can earn today.

Based on a lot of the comments I don't think to many have any real idea how much money is floating around in specific jobs areas. My Grandson is just turned 25 with a BS in international business & finance. He did 3 full summer internships while in college. They were in the Raleigh, NC, London, UK & Shanghai, China. With 3 years job experience he is running a small development team with a base pay in the lower 6 figures.

A kid coming out of school with the right degree. smarts, ambition & willing to work, by picking the right industry to specialize in, can do very well in todays economy which seems to shock a lot of people.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-05-2021 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
I know what my daughter pays her people in the Big Pharma industry & have no problem accepting your numbers. When we talk I keep saying "you pay these people WHAT!!!". Am astounded at what people can earn today.

Based on a lot of the comments I don't think to many have any real idea how much money is floating around in specific jobs areas. My Grandson is just turned 25 with a BS in international business & finance. He did 3 full summer internships while in college. They were in the Raleigh, NC, London, UK & Shanghai, China. With 3 years job experience he is running a small development team with a base pay in the lower 6 figures.

A kid coming out of school with the right degree. smarts, ambition & willing to work, by picking the right industry to specialize in, can do very well in todays economy which seems to shock a lot of people.
The flip side to this is that the cost of living found in many places worth living in for the specific industry is pretty damn expensive anymore (and even the cheaper places are shooting up quickly and are no longer the bargains that they once were).
Old 11-06-2021, 10:38 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
Coming from the person who was proved wrong on his own FANNG data source. Then claimed he worked for Honda and the material costs for a Honda Accord was $5k, yeah sure
Old 11-06-2021, 10:48 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Coming from the person who was proved wrong on his own FANNG data source. Then claimed he worked for Honda and the material costs for a Honda Accord was $5k, yeah sure
Uh huh keep telling yourself that so you can sleep better at night. Sorry that you missed the gravy train on the wrong side of the country
Old 11-06-2021, 11:16 AM
AZ Community Team

Have you ever been here? The majority have nice cars and houses. You may be talking about Old rich people I don't know. The Millionaires and Billionaires out here are mostly younger people who like buying nice things. There's over 200,000 Millionaires and Billionaires out here and probably another million or so people making over $300,000. Their beater commute car may be a Porche Cayenne GTS and their weekend cars are McLaren's or something I see it all the time .
Many times (worked at several startups including one that was the largest NASDAQ IPO at the time), the two mid-level manager I know at FaceBook (Meta whatever) one drives a Tesla 3 and the other a fairly new 4Runner.
And be careful with throwing around the billionaire word (it's three orders of magnitude higher than millionaire), there are only 614 in the US, and some of the richest billionaires drive some rather ordinary cars.
From Jeff Bezos's Accord to Zuckerberg's Fit.

https://www.hotcars.com/heres-why-bi...these-10-cars/

And beater car being a Cayeene GTS? Last time I was at Google's Sunnyvale campus couple years ago for cyber orchestration meetings, pretty much standard assortment of cars and SUV's with one definite noticeable manufacturer being Tesla's of all kinds. As to anyone visiting there, great cafeteria and sushi

And not talking about old rich people but young and old, not everyone is into cars like you believe they are even in rich northern California.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-06-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:18 AM
AZ Community Team

Uh huh keep telling yourself that so you can sleep better at night. Sorry that you missed the gravy train on the wrong side of the country
You do the same, Mr. " I worked for Honda" and a Accord's material cost $5k and Honda let me see all the BOM's

Still get a chuckle out of that claim

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-06-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:28 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by norsairius
The core case for the TLX vs. its competition is what it offers for the money, at least that's how I look at it. Yes, the TLX loses out in a number of objective performance tests. However, it also costs less.

Anyway, just my $0.02. Sorry, brevity isn't a strong suit of mine.
Very well written, my only addition is beside the lower purchase cost the addition of lower overall cost of ownership over the lifespan of the car is another general trait I've seen.
norsairius (11-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ESHBG
The flip side to this is that the cost of living found in many places worth living in for the specific industry is pretty damn expensive anymore (and even the cheaper places are shooting up quickly and are no longer the bargains that they once were).
Agree, expenses always rise but NC is still in the south & not a high cost to live in area yet. Triangle has high wages in the tech fields without a Silicon Valley cost of living. Our beach house cost significantly more then our main residence in Raleigh would currently sell for. My oldest daughters company is a global operation but her division is headquarter here with world wide employees. Her youngest sister is a program director for a major competitor which is also a global operation, her company is also headquarter here.

Research Triangle is ranked second-best place in country to live in new U.S. News & World Report. One of the three major towns in the Research Triangle (RT is #10 nationally is tech), is a good example. Cary known as Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. You can sell an average house in New Jersey buy a significantly upgraded house in Cary & bank the change. About 50% of the population here is what the locals call new comers. We are still new comers who have lived here for about 28 years.

Earlier this year Apple picked the Triangle for a $1 billion campus and Google selected 3rd town in the Triangle, Durham for an engineering hub. Raleigh the largest city in the Triangle was ranked the second-best place to live in the country by Livability.com.

ESHBG (11-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 11:51 AM
Safety Car

You do the same, Mr. " I worked for Honda" and a Accord's material cost $5k and Honda let me see all the BOM's

Still get a chuckle out of that claim
I don’t ever recall claiming a worked for Honda. Can you show me where I said that? I did some consulting work on a project for them but never “worked for Honda”.

As far as cost of materials, do you have a number you would like to present to disprove me since you seem to be so smart and knowledgeable? O wait I guess I’m wrong, according to BAC the average raw mat cost last year was $2200/car.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/raw-m...172812315.html
Old 11-06-2021, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

FWIW or Not

Salaries at FAANG companies increase with increasing seniority or level. Read 10 Highest Paying Tech Jobs in FAANG Companies to learn more about the highest-paying job roles and companies for software engineers.

Also, read Highest-Paying Tech Jobs and Skills in 2022 to learn about the hottest domains in tech to earn lucrative salaries.

Google’s Software Engineering Salaries Across Levels:
  • L3 - $188,000
  • L4 - $264,000
  • L5 - $353,000
  • L6 - $480,000
  • L7 - $693,000
  • L8 - $1,190,000
Facebook’s Software Engineering Salaries Across Levels:
  • E3 - $180,000
  • E4 - $261,000
  • E5 - $380,000
  • E6 - $597,000
  • E7 - $868,000
  • E8 - $1,350,000
Amazon’s Software Engineering Salaries Across Levels:
  • SDE I - $163,000
  • SDE II - $224,000
  • SDE III - $327,000
  • Principal SDE - $656,000
Apple’s Software Engineering Salaries Across Levels:
  • ICT2 - $172,000
  • ICT3 - $216,000
  • ICT4 - $316,000
  • ICT5 - $441,000
Microsoft’s Software Engineering Salaries Across Levels:
  • SDE Level 59 - $160,000
  • SDE II Level 61 - $175,000
  • Senior SDE Level 63 - $216,000
  • Principal SDE Level 65 - $288,000
Old 11-06-2021, 12:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
Agree, expenses always rise but NC is still in the south & not a high cost to live in area yet. Triangle has high wages in the tech fields without a Silicon Valley cost of living. Our beach house cost significantly more then our main residence in Raleigh would currently sell for. My oldest daughters company is a global operation but her division is headquarter here with world wide employees. Her youngest sister is a program director for a major competitor which is also a global operation, her company is also headquarter here.

Research Triangle is ranked second-best place in country to live in new U.S. News & World Report. One of the three major towns in the Research Triangle (RT is #10 nationally is tech), is a good example. Cary known as Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. You can sell an average house in New Jersey buy a significantly upgraded house in Cary & bank the change. About 50% of the population here is what the locals call new comers. We are still new comers who have lived here for about 28 years.

Earlier this year Apple picked the Triangle for a $1 billion campus and Google selected 3rd town in the Triangle, Durham for an engineering hub. Raleigh the largest city in the Triangle was ranked the second-best place to live in the country by Livability.com.
The key word is "yet", as prices do seem to be rising quickly because of Apple and Google and rapid movement of CA transplants will drive up prices. And Raleigh is still not a super attractive place for young professionals who want an urban environment and what you can find in some of the older, denser cities is not there. But yes, if you make six figures and choose Raleigh over Northern CA you will be in a better situation.

And you're CARY made me laugh. I used to have to travel to Charlotte and parts of NC for work and some of the comments about us "Yankees" would always crack me up.
BEAR-AvHistory (11-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ESHBG
The key word is "yet", as prices do seem to be rising quickly because of Apple and Google and rapid movement of CA transplants will drive up prices. And Raleigh is still not a super attractive place for young professionals who want an urban environment and what you can find in some of the older, denser cities is not there. But yes, if you make six figures and choose Raleigh over Northern CA you will be in a better situation.

And you're CARY made me laugh. I used to have to travel to Charlotte and parts of NC for work and some of the comments about us "Yankees" would always crack me up.
Agree on the yet but their is still quite a bit of room before yet becomes a reality.

This is true Raleigh is certainly not a metropolis. That said the where do we go tonight area is spreading very quickly & the places are always packed.

Yes on Cary - We talk differently but in the towns a good percentage sound like us. Go 10 miles out of town & they speak a different t language. Thing I really like about here is the people a very social & open. Pass a stranger in a Lowes Food parking lot & they will say Hello or Good Day. Not like the city where eye contact was a challenge. Wudda youse look'n at?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-06-2021 at 12:19 PM.
ESHBG (11-07-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

FWIW or Not

Salaries at FAANG companies increase with increasing seniority or level. Read 10 Highest Paying Tech Jobs in FAANG Companies to learn more about the highest-paying job roles and companies for software engineers.

Also, read Highest-Paying Tech Jobs and Skills in 2022 to learn about the hottest domains in tech to earn lucrative salaries.

Google’s Software Engineering Salaries Across Levels:
  • L3 - $188,000
  • L4 - $264,000
  • L5 - $353,000
  • L6 - $480,000
  • L7 - $693,000
  • L8 - $1,190,000
Facebook’s Software Engineering Salaries Across Levels:
  • E3 - $180,000
  • E4 - $261,000
  • E5 - $380,000
  • E6 - $597,000
  • E7 - $868,000
  • E8 - $1,350,000
Amazon’s Software Engineering Salaries Across Levels:
  • SDE I - $163,000
  • SDE II - $224,000
  • SDE III - $327,000
  • Principal SDE - $656,000
Apple’s Software Engineering Salaries Across Levels:
  • ICT2 - $172,000
  • ICT3 - $216,000
  • ICT4 - $316,000
  • ICT5 - $441,000
Microsoft’s Software Engineering Salaries Across Levels:
  • SDE Level 59 - $160,000
  • SDE II Level 61 - $175,000
  • Senior SDE Level 63 - $216,000
  • Principal SDE Level 65 - $288,000
Bear in mind these numbers are just for the salary component. The equity grants make up a substantial part of the compensation package, often 1.5x-3x more than salary depending on level.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Bear in mind these numbers are just for the salary component. The equity grants make up a substantial part of the compensation package, often 1.5x-3x more than salary depending on level.
Yeah two of my daughters work on a base + performance bonus (cash), outright stock grants, stock options or all of the above. That's why I said I could see the numbers

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-06-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2021, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
Some newer BMW models won't have touchscreens for a $500 credit:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/you...uchscreen.html

I don't think $500 would do it for me. Is this a blessing that Acura's TT interface isn't a touchscreen?
MarcoTLX (11-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 07:49 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 364 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN

I don't think $500 would do it for me. Is this a blessing that Acura's TT interface isn't a touchscreen?
yup! Heard BMW was shipping out 2022 X7s without touchscreen infotainment and some people still buying it
Old 11-06-2021, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
yup! Heard BMW was shipping out 2022 X7s without touchscreen infotainment and some people still buying it
Only thing I was worried about was some lines were shipping without a HUD. I have touch screen in the Z4 but don't use it very much. Also never set up the voice command system. I like the round wheel thing on the console. You can run the dash without reaching or looking for a place to touch. Want to save a some song from CarPlay, pull the console wheel left left it return the rotate clockwise two clicks & push down. Everything on the dash can be accessed that way.

For common functions the cars have push buttons, switches, auto control, voice control, rotary dial control all available to them. Top of the wheel is a touch pad but don't use that either.

Guys with orders in can refuse delivery or cancel it with their deposit returned. Pretty good topic on the M3/4 site. Generally most are going to grin & bare it. A cancels or refusal now with a reorder could take six months before the see their car. There is also an excellent flip market for the cars if you keep it & decide you don't like it. You can sell it & turn a profit.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-06-2021 at 08:27 PM.
MarcoTLX (11-07-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Many times (worked at several startups including one that was the largest NASDAQ IPO at the time), the two mid-level manager I know at FaceBook (Meta whatever) one drives a Tesla 3 and the other a fairly new 4Runner.
And be careful with throwing around the billionaire word (it's three orders of magnitude higher than millionaire), there are only 614 in the US, and some of the richest billionaires drive some rather ordinary cars.
From
Jeff Bezos's Accord to Zuckerberg's Fit.
Jeff also has in addition to the Honda Accords also has a $65,000,000 Gulfstream G650ER private jet & his car collection is valued at $21,000,000

Right next to his FIT Zuckerberg parks his $1,400,000 Pagani Huayra Supercar

Of the bucks up guys Larry Ellison is my hero as he did what I would do if I had his money instead of renting time is old warbirds

MIG 29 formerly of the VVS

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-07-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:41 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN

Holding my breath and drücke die Daumen for my order. It's an M550i, so at least for now one of the models that gets the parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by mike03a3:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-07-2021), ELIN (11-07-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 09:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mike03a3
Holding my breath and drücke die Daumen for my order. It's an M550i, so at least for now one of the models that gets the parts.
BMW has been pulling dead items from the configurator. If the parts are still on the configurator buy the time the car comes out of the factory they will generally be on the car, You need to follow the production report & watch the steps against the configurator.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:34 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
BMW has been pulling dead items from the configurator. If the parts are still on the configurator buy the time the car comes out of the factory they will generally be on the car, You need to follow the production report & watch the steps against the configurator.
Hopefully your M550i isn't affected. Every so often i'll browse through G01 xbimmers.com section and i've seen a few threads of things ordered that was removed during the production. Strange enough that some lost the "shadowline" package.. I'm just glad I purchased my BMW's when I did. Let's say I had to replace my M40i, I know I will lose 3 or 4 options. Mike, I can't wait to see the beast!
Old 11-08-2021, 07:08 AM
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts
Sorry but just to confirm, is this thread "2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition"?

If so, here's a good blurb from cars . com...
TLX Type S Vs. the Competition
Just prior to the arrival of the TLX, I reviewed the updated 2022 Genesis G70 Sport Prestige with rear-wheel drive. It’s the most performance-oriented G70, and it’s a very good car that’s priced similarly to the TLX Type S. Pitting the two performance versions against each other, I’d lean toward the Acura. The Type S comes across as more of a dedicated performance car than the G70 3.3T even though it doesn’t feel as outright quick. The way the TLX Type S handles, steers and manages power through its transmission and AWD is completely seamless.
https://www.cars.com/articles/2021-a...ry-joy-441468/
The following 4 users liked this post by bilirubin:
BOWA41 (11-08-2021), F23A4 (11-08-2021), Legend2TL (11-08-2021), WTF.Acura (11-09-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 11:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bilirubin
Sorry but just to confirm, is this thread "2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition"?

If so, here's a good blurb from cars . com...
https://www.cars.com/articles/2021-a...ry-joy-441468/
Yeah the rest of the blurb has some interesting points,

"What is a little disappointing is that all that power is tasked with motivating a portly 4,200 pounds of car (even with Acura’s optional lightweight wheels). That’s hundreds of pounds heavier than comparable luxury AWD sports sedans, including the Audi S4 (3,847 pounds), Genesis G70 3.3T (3,887), BMW M340i (3,849) and Mercedes-AMG C43 (3,836). All of these cars have more favorable power-to-weight ratios. In previous testing, we clocked an AWD BMW M340i hitting 60 mph in just 3.89 seconds, while Acura reports a 0-60 time of “around 5 seconds” for the Type S. Driving the Type S right after the G70 3.3T we recently evaluated, the Acura feels more modest than that car, which offers harder kick-you-in-the-seat-of-your-pants acceleration."

BTW is this the most active thread of the week? Also thought Acura always uses the German cars in its own comparisons as the "competition".

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-08-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
From Jeff Bezos's Accord to Zuckerberg's Fit.

https://www.hotcars.com/heres-why-bi...these-10-cars/

And beater car being a Cayeene GTS? Last time I was at Google's Sunnyvale campus couple years ago for cyber orchestration meetings, pretty much standard assortment of cars and SUV's with one definite noticeable manufacturer being Tesla's of all kinds. As to anyone visiting there, great cafeteria and sushi

And not talking about old rich people but young and old, not everyone is into cars like you believe they are even in rich northern California.
I'm not sure what this new fascination is with thinking the Rich are all like Warren Buffet and don't care about things. You visited here you don't live here, looking around a parking lot doesn't confirm anything. By the way there's 77 Billionaires in the Bay Area. This whole thing is like when LeBron was doing Kia Commercials and Steph Doing Infiniti commercials, you think that's what they drive?. There's a very materialistic competition vibe about Silicon valley it's just a fact, even if people don't care about cars, they know cars and want to have something with status. Most people have more than one car, yes a lot of tesla's but that's just ONE of their cars.

This scene is more realistic than you may want to believe.

Last edited by Kense; 11-08-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Hopefully your M550i isn't affected. Every so often i'll browse through G01 xbimmers.com section and i've seen a few threads of things ordered that was removed during the production. Strange enough that some lost the "shadowline" package.. I'm just glad I purchased my BMW's when I did. Let's say I had to replace my M40i, I know I will lose 3 or 4 options. Mike, I can't wait to see the beast!
I just specked one out & it looked pretty good @ $88,390. Did not see anything I would order "missing" . Car had the HUD & shadowline option available with the HK radio standard. BMW is weird that way. The M4C has shadowline as standard with a no charge delete. Thing I really like about this car is a twin (2) turbos V8 @ 526BHP. Nothing sounds like a V8

Believe Mike will love this car!!
Old 11-08-2021, 02:37 PM
Pro

I just specked one out & it looked pretty good @ $88,390. Did not see anything I would order "missing" . Car had the HUD & shadowline option available with the HK radio standard. BMW is weird that way. The M4C has shadowline as standard with a no charge delete. Thing I really like about this car is a twin (2) turbos V8 @ 526BHP. Nothing sounds like a V8

Although the TLX is roughly the same size as a 5-series, I wouldn't consider the M550i to be a TLX competitor. A 540i would be closer in terms of power-to-weight ratio to a Type S, but definitely not in terms of price. Spec a 330i xDrive with the same features as the TLX Type S and the Bimmer is actually a little more expensive, if doing a cash purchase.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:48 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I'm not sure what this new fascination is with thinking the Rich are all like Warren Buffet and don't care about things. You visited here you don't live here, looking around a parking lot doesn't confirm anything. By the way there's 77 Billionaires in the Bay Area. This whole thing is like when LeBron was doing Kia Commercials and Steph Doing Infiniti commercials, you think that's what they drive?. There's a very materialistic competition vibe about Silicon valley it's just a fact, even if people don't care about cars, they know cars and want to have something with status. Most people have more than one car, yes a lot of tesla's but that's just ONE of their cars.

This scene is more realistic than you may want to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJIAOosI6js
To be fair - the millionaire next door driving an Accord is likely speaking about the guy who owns a local restaurant or auto shop or whatever - not a high flying VC billionaire living in silicon valley.
BEAR-AvHistory (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 03:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
To be fair - the millionaire next door driving an Accord is likely speaking about the guy who owns a local restaurant or auto shop or whatever - not a high flying VC billionaire living in silicon valley.
How much money we make matters less than the friends we've made in our discussion on the subject: "TLX vs The Competition"
ELIN (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 05:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
There's more mid to high 6 figure earners in SV than anything else and you'll see luxury cars all day mixed in with Tesla's everywhere. Go to downtown Palo Alto on a weekend or Santa Row in San Jose. The millionaires that live around me like to show off big time. How many well off Asians do you all know? Materialism is huge.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Although the TLX is roughly the same size as a 5-series, I wouldn't consider the M550i to be a TLX competitor. A 540i would be closer in terms of power-to-weight ratio to a Type S, but definitely not in terms of price. Spec a 330i xDrive with the same features as the TLX Type S and the Bimmer is actually a little more expensive, if doing a cash purchase.
Yeah I agree 100% its just funny to see Acura brings the 5 series into their marketing program. Bringing the 5 into the marketing just reminds people what the 330's pedigree is, they both have the same logo on the hood & trunk.

I personally don't believe mentioning the opposition in adds, never did. We were #1 globally in our specific markets. To us there was no one else so our marketing was all about us & what we could do for the clients. If Acura absolutely has solid reasons to do it the 330-330XI is a much better target. The TLX is feature rich for the price the 330Xi more expensive with a better image.

Have no idea why they continue the adds, but IMHO it does make it fair game cause guys here use it as a plus.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-08-2021 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:59 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Well, I certainly expect to. Mine will be an Individual Manufaktur car, so it will be making a side trip from the Dingolfing plant to the M Studio for special order paint, leather and dash before returning to Dingolfing.
The process adds a few months (and a bit more than a few dollars) to the order process, but I figure if I'm going to order a higher end car I might as well get one I will really like.

BEAR-AvHistory (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Hadn't looked at this thread in a while. It sure went off the rails.
Legend2TL (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 11:54 AM
Air Vice Marshal

While I fundamentally agree, Acura dragged the higher end German sport sedans into the conversation with their constant drumbeat of ads touting Type-S performance and comparing it to the Germans.
I was planning to replace my existing '07 Type-S with the new one. Despite some support issues with Acura (disintegrating dash top being the biggest one), and the sad lack of manual transmissions, I was looking forward to the new one.
Sadly, when it finally appeared and I had the opportunity to see and drive one I was disappointed. As I have written previously, it lacks some key tech features I expected, it was bigger externally, and much heavier which compromised the performance and lacked color combinations that attracted me. That was especially disappointing since the individual tech features and colors are all found in the TLX line.
Prior to visiting the Acura dealer I had never driven a BMW or Audi. My Euro car of choice previously had been a couple of V-12 Jags, both of which I really loved. But i have choices, plenty of them. I live next to the border of the two wealthiest counties in the US, both with six figure median incomes. Mercedes, BMW, Porche and Jaguar have long been very common, with Jaguar declining in the last decade as it lost its way and was replaced by Audi. Acura was pretty popular as well, until the 4G TL got smacked in the face by a chrome shovel. I'm surrounded by dealers for those brands as well as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Aston-Martin, Bentley and any other high end brand you can think of.
But I have Acura to thank for giving me the idea to look at BMW. Well, Jaguar too, since it has walked completely away from the sport sedan market.
So, I took my disappointment to my local BMW dealer and drove a 540, since it was roughly the same size and power as the new Type-S. I was quite impressed with the 5 series. But after considering all the options, I simply couldn't resist the M550. Quite likely my last chance to own a fire breathing V-8 sport sedan. If I keep it as long as my last couple, I'll still be driving it if i survive to 94. So I figured I'd just get big V-8.
BEAR-AvHistory (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 12:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, I certainly expect to. Mine will be an Individual Manufaktur car, so it will be making a side trip from the Dingolfing plant to the M Studio for special order paint, leather and dash before returning to Dingolfing.
The process adds a few months (and a bit more than a few dollars) to the order process, but I figure if I'm going to order a higher end car I might as well get one I will really like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXIWN9ylqqA
Ship came in last night around 11PM was able to track it all the way. Turned up a few hours early. Hopefully thats a good sign, have about 4 months invested so far.

Reason I always order to spec it myself with exactly what I want, rather wait than settle.

Thought it was interesting the guy complaining he could only go 158mph. Guys posting on YouTube with the drivers package, BMW drivers school + speed limiter raised driving on the Autobahn are running M4 183mph, Z4 180mph, M550 190mph.
mike03a3 (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 12:41 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Ship came in last night around 11PM was able to track it all the way. Turned up a few hours early. Hopefully thats a good sign, have about 4 months invested so far.

Reason I always order to spec it myself with exactly what I want, rather wait than settle.

Thought it was interesting the guy complaining he could only go 158mph. Guys posting on YouTube with the drivers package, BMW drivers school + speed limiter raised driving on the Autobahn are running M4 183mph, Z4 180mph, M550 190mph.
The top speed as delivered is limited by default to the speed rating of the tires. I ordered all season tires, so mine will have a lower limit. I imagine the rules in other countries vary,
Old 11-09-2021, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jhb31
Hadn't looked at this thread in a while. It sure went off the rails.
Yeah I know it can look that way. As long as Acura specifically calls out certain cars to show it better than its seem only fair to push back on why those cars are not the sitters Acura marketing portrays then as. TLX might be as big as a 5 but the variants of the 5 bring a lot to the "sports sedan" table. The 5 can be a car company all by itself. Broad collection of cars from $54,000 to $122,000

They like rubbing shoulders with BMW, MB, Audi because they believe some of the aura of these brands will rub off in the minds of potential buyers. Pretty common marketing tactic. That said its on that the top dog hardly use. Coming up now will be the classic MB reindeer & Santa's sled Christmas add. Eight white sedans in two by two formation with a red sports car centered behind them. Not one mention that Audi & BMW suck in the whole add.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:23 PM
Air Vice Marshal

The only things I'm aware of that are gone from the M550 are:
  • Soft close doors (deleted with the LCI in 2021) - possibly because of class action law suits by owners too effing stupid to not close the door on their finger.
  • Phone charger pad - no big loss, it did more to heat the phone than to charge it
  • Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System - A $3,400 premium option, much praised by audiophiles
Old 11-09-2021, 03:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Believe I am also out the charge pad which I don't use in the Z4. Fries the phone, actually had the i-phone shut down due to overheat.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition