2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 03:57 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
If comparing fully loaded TLX to base A6, sure it can be similar. But once you add the proper options to the A6, comparison stops fairly quickly. Different class of cars, even if Aura will disagree.
What does proper options mean? I was comparing a TLX Advance ($48300 MSRP) vs an Audi A6 2.0 Premium Plus ($58600 MSRP) and the dynamic cruise control, HUD, remote start, and ventilated seats are still optional on the Audi!

I'm also not getting a lot more interior room by switching back to an Audi.

I've always been a fan of the A5 silhouette so the TLX gets me close to that on the cheap whereas the A6 looks more pedestrian like the Passat it's based on.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
What does proper options mean? I was comparing a TLX Advance ($48300 MSRP) vs an Audi A6 2.0 Premium Plus ($58600 MSRP) and the dynamic cruise control, HUD, remote start, and ventilated seats are still optional on the Audi!.
That's what I mean (plus add 3.0T, dynamic steering, and B&O 5K sound system). The interior is in a completely different class with all the tech. And once going with an A6, the 3.0T should be an automatic addition. Acura's tech barely competes with the A4 (engine, tranny, and interior), and yet the TLX should be put against an A6.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 11-15-2020 at 10:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tesla1856 (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts

I used to have a 2015 A6 Supercharged V6 Premium Plus that retailed for only a little more than a current 2.0 A6 Premium Plus. It was the toughest car I had to give up at end of lease to get the MDX. It was most definitely a driver's car!
I would imagine so, as it sounds nice. Too bad industry shifted-away from Super-Changers.
The natural upgrade to that sedan in the S6 .
It's now got a special 2.9L-Turbo-V6 (Porsche co-engineered) engine ... also with 48v-MHEV and this electric-device that spins-up the turbo-charger (end-result is sorta like a Super-Charger).
Old 11-16-2020, 08:22 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Just make sure you also buy extended warranty if you plan to keep your new Audi for more than four years - the length of the standard factory warranty.

Audi vehicles tend to start having reliability issues right after the factory warranty expires at the 4 year mark.
I know that was one of the knocks on Audi in the past but is it still true?

In one of my MBA courses, we learned that Volkswagen has an extensive supply chain all over the world and can put together cars in strategic locations. Could the quality be location specific?
Old 11-20-2020, 11:44 AM
Drifting

I’m a couple hundred miles from my first fill up. I’ll report back on what my mostly city miles get me.
Fuel economy update. So after 278 miles, I finally got my first refuel on the TLX. Receipt read 12.373 gallons replenished which comes out to 22.5 mpg based on a mix of city/highway (~65% city).

There wasn't a whole lot of spirited driving but if I did floor it once or twice, I guess the fuel economy will more likely approach the 24 mpg of the AWD model.

I still stand by my earlier assessment that this car is a great commuter car!
CheeseyPoofs McNut (11-21-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 12:48 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Fuel economy update. So after 278 miles, I finally got my first refuel on the TLX. Receipt read 12.373 gallons replenished which comes out to 22.5 mpg based on a mix of city/highway (~65% city).

There wasn't a whole lot of spirited driving but if I did floor it once or twice, I guess the fuel economy will more likely approach the 24 mpg of the AWD model.

I still stand by my earlier assessment that this car is a great commuter car!
While we can all agree it won’t hold it’s own at the track, as you stated it’s a great commuter car. I literally look forward to driving it every day. Additionally it’s a great date car. My girl is 5’10”. She loves stretching out it the front seat. Adding to that the interior lighting at night and that fabulous sound system makes for a truly enjoyable experience.

The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
a35tl (11-20-2020), ELIN (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 12:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Honda430
While we can all agree it won’t hold it’s own at the track, as you stated it’s a great commuter car. I literally look forward to driving it every day. Additionally it’s a great date car. My girl is 5’10”. She loves stretching out it the front seat. Adding to that the interior lighting at night and that fabulous sound system makes for a truly enjoyable experience.
Even at 5'10", I would avoid the backseat unless it's for other activities. ;p
Old 11-20-2020, 01:15 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hide and seek?
ELIN (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 02:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Hide and seek?
You got it!

Winner, winner, turkey dinner!
04WDPSeDaN (11-21-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 02:30 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
I didn’t note that she likes her heel high. She moves the seat to the end of the track then inclines seat back to about 70 degrees. Nobody with the exception of a small child could sit behind her.
ELIN (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 05:40 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
I know that was one of the knocks on Audi in the past but is it still true?

In one of my MBA courses, we learned that Volkswagen has an extensive supply chain all over the world and can put together cars in strategic locations. Could the quality be location specific?
This question is better answered by Audi owners who are keeping their Audi vehicles for longer than 4 years. I have since moved on, and no longer own any Audi vehicle.

But one thing for sure is that VW reliability remains to be utterly poor, when compared with the premium Audi brand. I guess this has to do with the higher pricing with the Audi products, that goes into better quality parts and better controlled manufacturing process, which end up with better reliability in Audi products.

However, better reliability is always a moving target. When Audi improves, the Japanese makes improves too.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:52 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Hide and seek?
More like show and tell?
The following 2 users liked this post by Carnage719:
04WDPSeDaN (11-21-2020), ELIN (11-20-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 06:08 AM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
If you had a black light in your car, would the backseat look like a Jackson Pollock painting?
Old 11-21-2020, 08:24 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bilirubin
If you had a black light in your car, would the backseat look like a Jackson Pollock painting?
Eww! Ok, I started it but I think it ends here.

Getting us back on track, here's a new review (warning: it's a bit choppy)

https://www.dallasweekly.com/article...021-acura-tlx/
Old 11-21-2020, 10:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Eww! Ok, I started it but I think it ends here.

Getting us back on track, here's a new review (warning: it's a bit choppy)

https://www.dallasweekly.com/article...021-acura-tlx/
Geeze, you weren't kidding. This is probably the worst writing in terms of style and composition that I've ever seen from a "professional"....
pyrodan007 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 11:20 AM
Drifting

I'm curious why Edmunds still doesn't have a full review and rating yet. All the other majors seem to have reviewed it.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:51 AM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
What does proper options mean? I was comparing a TLX Advance ($48300 MSRP) vs an Audi A6 2.0 Premium Plus ($58600 MSRP) and the dynamic cruise control, HUD, remote start, and ventilated seats are still optional on the Audi!

I'm also not getting a lot more interior room by switching back to an Audi.

I've always been a fan of the A5 silhouette so the TLX gets me close to that on the cheap whereas the A6 looks more pedestrian like the Passat it's based on.
The only TL that could hold its own against an A6 was the 4G.....while the Audi could be optioned with more tech gizmos and advanced tech, the 4G SH-AWD could hold its own in performance, road manners and handling, fit and finish and road presence...TLX against an A6?? Not a chance, the TLX is vastly outmatched across the board.

On the youtube channel Driving Sports TV there was a video of a comparo between a TL SH-AWD and the A7 3.0T of that time, including a some sort of small autocross test.
In the opinion of the tester, the TL came on top because of the enormous over 20K in price difference where it could still hold its own against the much more expensive Audi. A similar comparison between the 1G TLX and an A6 or A7 today would be inconceivable.

Old 11-21-2020, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 11-21-2020, 09:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by abovetheclouds
This dude sippin the Acura KoolAid!

He did mention Type S hits dealerships in Feb and I heard the same.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:05 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts

I watch most of Joe Raiti's videos. His right most of the time, but, I'm not convinced that the Type S will be out in Feb. I think he got that one
wrong. He does not have an inside track to Acura. The dealer's have no idea right now when the Type S hits the pavement. Acura has
repeatedly said "Spring." Personally I'd like to get my hands on one sooner.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:21 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

No he doesn't. IF you have followed him and all his travels and the 1 hr videos with his subscribers, and watched many of his videos you'd know he's in general
a car/truck lover. He used to race cars at one time. He was a HS teacher for approx 18 yrs. He test drives and reviews....ANYTHING!! From exotics, to family
vans and everything in between. He calls them like he sees it. He will "zonk" the things he feels are "not right" on a vehicle...and praise the things he feels are
pretty noteworthy. But, again, it's his opinion. albeit, he does have some creds.

Certain manufacturers have recognized him by giving him first "early" shots at reviewing a car before they are officially out. And he was chosen to go to last years
Indy 500 and got to ride in the 2 seat Indy car with Mario Andretti at speed around the track. He gets invited to special showings around the country, etc. So, he's
real serious with his job as he is now doing it. He is dedicated and his wife Lori is also a big part of their "business."

He has made great friendships with many dealers, but, as I wrote in your other post....I don't think he has made too many inroads to the "inner sanctum" of car manufacturers.
Maybe getting close to some. But, Feb. for Type S.....we'll see.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
No he doesn't. IF you have followed him and all his travels and the 1 hr videos with his subscribers, and watched many of his videos you'd know he's in general
a car/truck lover. He used to race cars at one time. He was a HS teacher for approx 18 yrs. He test drives and reviews....ANYTHING!! From exotics, to family
vans and everything in between. He calls them like he sees it. He will "zonk" the things he feels are "not right" on a vehicle...and praise the things he feels are
pretty noteworthy. But, again, it's his opinion. albeit, he does have some creds.

Certain manufacturers have recognized him by giving him first "early" shots at reviewing a car before they are officially out. And he was chosen to go to last years
Indy 500 and got to ride in the 2 seat Indy car with Mario Andretti at speed around the track. He gets invited to special showings around the country, etc. So, he's
real serious with his job as he is now doing it. He is dedicated and his wife Lori is also a big part of their "business."

He has made great friendships with many dealers, but, as I wrote in your other post....I don't think he has made too many inroads to the "inner sanctum" of car manufacturers.
Maybe getting close to some. But, Feb. for Type S.....we'll see.
We’re going to have to disagree on how balanced his reviews are. He seems to be overly effusive about cars even when they’re undeserving of praise and compliment sandwiches the hell out of any criticism. It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to realize that he has to do that in order to continue having access to these cars from the dealership. Same reason the StraightPipe guys rarely says anything bad about a car, and why SavageGeese is in Honda/Acura’s doghouse for not sticking to their script.
04WDPSeDaN (11-22-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 11:20 PM
Safety Car

If you want to see just how much of a sunshine pumper he is, look no further than his review of the Corolla Apex Edition. This is a car that has the same wheezy engine you can get in the regular Corollas, and most other automotive outlets crapped all over it for being underwhelming, yet he was heaping plaudit after plaudit onto it. He spent so much time praising how well it handles, yet every other reputable outlet points out how similarly priced cars like the Civic Si, Forte GT, GTI, etc. all out-handles and out-corners the hell out of the Corolla, on top of being way faster (the Corolla Apex manages to be slower than the regular Corolla SE). He's a manufacturer branded t-shirt and pair of slacks away from being a paid spokesperson.

BEAR-AvHistory (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 06:55 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I watch most of Joe Raiti's videos. His right most of the time, but, I'm not convinced that the Type S will be out in Feb. I think he got that one
wrong. He does not have an inside track to Acura. The dealer's have no idea right now when the Type S hits the pavement. Acura has
repeatedly said "Spring." Personally I'd like to get my hands on one sooner.
He said trunk space was 14 ft3. I guess in his world it’s ok to round up from 13.5 ft3 when every cubic ft counts! He was overjoyed by how much space was in the backseat while every TLX owner is shaking their head. He claimed the car exhausts were true functional pipes but I’ve seen a pic where there’s clearly a smaller pipe hidden within the recesses of the large exhaust.

Oddly the only criticism he had was the lack of USB ports for the rear passengers, which every expert picked up on.
04WDPSeDaN (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 07:29 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
We’re going to have to disagree on how balanced his reviews are. He seems to be overly effusive about cars even when they’re undeserving of praise and compliment sandwiches the hell out of any criticism. It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to realize that he has to do that in order to continue having access to these cars from the dealership. Same reason the StraightPipe guys rarely says anything bad about a car, and why SavageGeese is in Honda/Acura’s doghouse for not sticking to their script.
He said trunk space was 14 ft3. I guess in his world it’s ok to round up from 13.5 ft3 when every cubic ft counts! He was overjoyed by how much space was in the backseat while every TLX owner is shaking their head. He claimed the car exhausts were true functional pipes but I’ve seen a pic where there’s clearly a smaller pipe hidden within the recesses of the large exhaust.

Oddly the only criticism he had was the lack of USB ports for the rear passengers, which every expert picked up on.

You mean to tell me that these Youtube reviewers lie or are told "positive vibes only" ?!?!
ELIN (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 10:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
The naysayers will find things to be critical about, some legitimate, about the many positive reviews. If only the same folks would question the numerous over the top positive reviews about German cars, despite the same tired comments that you hear in most review. Certainly those reviewers would not have any pre-determined biases. Its human nature to cherry pick that which supports our opinions - we all do it. However, it seems that many of you have made it your mission to convince anyone who wanders on to this forum to agree with you that the TLX is somehow a bad car. Everyone has different wants and decision criteria for a car and perhaps don't need a particular badge to "compensate". If most cars get generally positive reviews, it's that most cars manufactured these days are pretty good.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:29 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
The naysayers will find things to be critical about, some legitimate, about the many positive reviews. If only the same folks would question the numerous over the top positive reviews about German cars, despite the same tired comments that you hear in most review. Certainly those reviewers would not have any pre-determined biases. Its human nature to cherry pick that which supports our opinions - we all do it. However, it seems that many of you have made it your mission to convince anyone who wanders on to this forum to agree with you that the TLX is somehow a bad car. Everyone has different wants and decision criteria for a car and perhaps don't need a particular badge to "compensate". If most cars get generally positive reviews, it's that most cars manufactured these days are pretty good.
Armchair psychology is a pretty terrible defense for an average car.

You expect car reviewers to say "well, most manufactured cars are pretty good"? I mean, what's the point then? A car being "well manufactured" is table stakes if every car is well manufactured. The fact is, if you have the money for most TLX models, your money is better spent elsewhere. That's all we're getting from the reviews.
The following 2 users liked this post by kurtatx:
ESHBG (11-22-2020), someguy11 (11-23-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 12:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Reality in reviews is the ultimate reviewers opinion, the end user, who is not buying the all new car in any large numbers you might expect of one. Would agree in this day & age of computerized manufacturing nobody is building a BAD car. They are all screwed together pretty well. What causes the rise or fall of a model is the design choices the manufactures make.

So far since 2006-2009 Acura has made a number of bad choices in having a marketing program & production program that don't match. Marketing says one thing, balls to the walls sports sedan, the product delivers something else, commuter/grocery/family car.

BTW on the badge thing if German car buyers are compensating for buying a more expensive car are TLX buyers compensating by not buying a HONDA which is many cases is 99 to 110% of what the TLX is?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-22-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Armchair psychology is a pretty terrible defense for an average car.

You expect car reviewers to say "well, most manufactured cars are pretty good"? I mean, what's the point then? A car being "well manufactured" is table stakes if every car is well manufactured. The fact is, if you have the money for most TLX models, your money is better spent elsewhere. That's all we're getting from the reviews.
I would ask myself this question, what do you get in the TLX that you can't get elsewhere? If this version was released in 2015, it would be super competitive. Now, it's already old news.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:45 PM
Safety Car

I would ask myself this question, what do you get in the TLX that you can't get elsewhere? If this version was released in 2015, it would be super competitive. Now, it's already old news.
I think the only objective thing that's better is the AWD system (Quattro is only close if it's the torque vectoring variant), and the slightly lower sticker price. I guess the exterior dimensions you also can't really get from its close competitors, but whether that's a pro or a con depends on the individual. Subjectively, some will say the exterior and interior styling, and I think most will agree the ELS system in the Advance model takes the cake.

Yeah, I think that's about it. It's by no means a bad car, but if you get the FWD version there really isn't anything you can say about it that's better than the competition other than sticker price and the audio system (if you get the Advance model). It's another one of those "best car for the money" kind of offerings that we've come to expect from Acura.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think you can make that same claim about any car in this price range. BTW, safer front airbags, SH-AWD , and a true touch pad are three things, which you or others may not like. I'm not suggesting it's the best, however, I would say after driving it three times and reading 15-20 reviews, it's a very good car at it's price point.
Speaking of car reviews, here's another one

Old 11-22-2020, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think the only objective thing that's better is the AWD system (Quattro is only close if it's the torque vectoring variant), and the slightly lower sticker price. I guess the exterior dimensions you also can't really get from its close competitors, but whether that's a pro or a con depends on the individual. Subjectively, some will say the exterior and interior styling, and I think most will agree the ELS system in the Advance model takes the cake.

Yeah, I think that's about it. It's by no means a bad car, but if you get the FWD version there really isn't anything you can say about it that's better than the competition other than sticker price and the audio system (if you get the Advance model). It's another one of those "best car for the money" kind of offerings that we've come to expect from Acura.
Thanks for reminding me about the ELS 3D sound system. BTW, you also get it in the ASpec version as well. The 16 way seats in the Advance/Elite are good for this price point.
ELIN (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for reminding me about the ELS 3D sound system. BTW, you also get it in the ASpec version as well. The 16 way seats in the Advance/Elite are good for this price point.
Ah good point, I forgot the A-Spec now gets the top of the line system too.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Reality in reviews is the ultimate reviewers opinion, the end user, who is not buying the all new car in any large numbers you might expect of one. Would agree in this day & age of computerized manufacturing nobody is building a BAD car. They are all screwed together pretty well. What causes the rise or fall of a model is the design choices the manufactures make.

So far since 2006-2009 Acura has made a number of bad choices in having a marketing program & production program that don't match. Marketing says one thing, balls to the walls sports sedan, the product delivers something else, commuter/grocery/family car.

BTW on the badge thing if German car buyers are compensating for buying a more expensive car are TLX buyers compensating by not buying a HONDA which is many cases is 99 to 110% of what the TLX is?

The TLX on balance is as balls to the walls as the BMW3 series or the Audi 4, notwithstanding the slightly slower time off the line, depending upon which review you read. Most cars these days are marketed in the same way. As for your percentages, I simply can't agree, although that gap has narrowed for all the Japanese and Korean manufacturers.

Although my compensation reference was tongue in cheek, I would suggest to you that more people buy German cars for the badge than they do Japanese luxury cars. I see that every day based upon how people actually drive them.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
David Berk (01-17-2021), ELIN (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 01:09 PM
Drifting

What I get is $415/month (after taxes and everything) for an AWD A-Spec. I've been scanning offers from the German luxury companies and although cash to dealer is similar to what I paid, the monthly payment is quite a bit higher!

Here are the current national offers for comparison:

1) 2021 BMW 330i xDrive - $459/month before taxes

2) 2020 Mercedes C300 4MATIC - $459/month before taxes

3) 2021 Audi A4 Premium (lowest trim) - $419/month before taxes

I basically got equal or more features than the cars listed above for a substantially lower monthly payment.

You can make an argument that the car after 3 years may not be worth the residual value but that's a completely different discussion!
Shadow2056 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

What I get is $415/month (after taxes and everything) for an AWD A-Spec. I've been scanning offers from the German luxury companies and although cash to dealer is similar to what I paid, the monthly payment is quite a bit higher!

Here are the current national offers for comparison:

1) 2021 BMW 330i xDrive - $459/month before taxes

2) 2020 Mercedes C300 4MATIC - $459/month before taxes

3) 2021 Audi A4 Premium (lowest trim) - $419/month before taxes

I basically got equal or more features than the cars listed above for a substantially lower monthly payment.

You can make an argument that the car after 3 years may not be worth the residual value but that's a completely different discussion!
FYI the "national offers" are usually considerably higher than the actual deals you get with your dealership. To see what kind of deals people are actually getting on leases, check out leasehackr.com
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-22-2020), ELIN (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 01:34 PM
Drifting

FYI the "national offers" are usually considerably higher than the actual deals you get with your dealership. To see what kind of deals people are actually getting on leases, check out leasehackr.com
Thanks for the website! Wish I had known about leasehackr before getting the TLX but I generally do pretty well on my own.

You're right in that I might have been able to get those other cars down to $415/month with a "motivated" dealer. I also have prior relationships with Audi and Mercedes.
What it boils down to is I prefer the looks of the TLX over the 330i, C300, or A4. My car still gets lots of appreciative looks and is still the only one I've seen driving around in my area.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 11-22-2020, 06:05 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

And that's fine. I've watched MANY of his vehicle reviews...and I can say this with certainty...he'll say if he doesn't like something, or they could have done this differently, or they used
too much gloss black finish, or, or, or. He "zonks" many things. He's not a rubber stamp for the dealers. If asked to choose between 2 vehicles he will answer and say what he thinks is
wrong with the one he doesn't choose. He's not trying to please everyone. IMHO.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by abovetheclouds
A very level-headed review. I was surprised to see another mention of the trunk being 14.3 ft3.

Even Acura's website shows that the EPA cargo volume is only 13.5 ft3.

https://www.acura.com/tlx/pricing-and-specs

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**