TLX in the wild... and new pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I think it's because of the Tsunami *lmao* (sorry, couldn't resist)
Old 08-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by randomRon82
and sorry (but not sorry) to you RLX owners, but as much as many hate on the 4G TL the RLX looks basically like a stretched out version of this with some tweaks.
No apologies needed. I love that the new TLX looks like a smaller version of the RLX. This is the type of consistent design "language" they need to have and have been lacking for some time.

Here's a few recent shots I took of my RLX that definitely shows similarities in the TLX body language.

The following 3 users liked this post by holografique:
dysonlu (08-04-2014), Healingduck (08-03-2014), Stew4HD (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 05:27 PM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
No apologies needed. I love that the new TLX looks like a smaller version of the RLX. This is the type of consistent design "language" they need to have and have been lacking for some time.

Here's a few recent shots I took of my RLX that definitely shows similarities in the TLX body language.

Seriously drool worthy man. You're right though. After seeing those pics of your car and the TLX, there's actually quite a bit of resemblance that I hadn't noticed before. Like you said, it's good for them to have some uniformity across the brand though.

I'm kind of curious if you guys think the TLX would be getting less flak if Acura didn't call it a sporty sedan? It seems like most of the complaints I see are that it doesn't look sporty enough. I would think if they didn't consider it a sport sedan, some would consider it a competitor for the RLX which is would be it's own problem... Not to mention people who consider it bland would probably still consider it bland.

I guess I can see where people are coming from when they say it's not sporty enough though. This is based solely on looks obviously, but it definitely wouldn't hurt for them to add a little something to spice it up a bit. Unless of course they are planning something similar to an a-spec of Type-S version which I'm still hoping for.
The following users liked this post:
holografique (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Healingduck
I guess I can see where people are coming from when they say it's not sporty enough though. This is based solely on looks obviously, but it definitely wouldn't hurt for them to add a little something to spice it up a bit. Unless of course they are planning something similar to an a-spec of Type-S version which I'm still hoping for.
I believe that for a car manufacture to be successful in the long run, they have to cater to both those who want a "nice" car and those that want a "sports" car. With the majority of sales obviously coming from those who want a "nice" car.

In some cases (not all), a company may need the revenue generated from all the sales of the "nice" car, to support the funds and investments needed to develop the "sports" car. Not the other way around...

I think Acura is a clear example of this. They haven't had the successful sales they've needed over the past few years to go off farting around building a hot sports car that isn't going to get them out of future financial trouble.

1)You build the TLX for the masses, 2)you increase your sales and show significant profit gains, 3) then you go make a sportier variant. Seems like a pretty simple and conservative business plan to me.

They've already confirmed the Type-S is "under research". So we just need to relax, sit back and watch the movie unfold. If you're not happy and can't wait, then go find another option from the multitude of other great sportier vehicles that exist. 2/4 series, CLA/C/E Series Coupes, IS/GS F-Sport, S4/S5/S6. So many great options, yet people just want to sit around and grumble.

Life is short, focus on what makes you happy.
The following 4 users liked this post by holografique:
CoquiTSX (08-12-2014), dysonlu (08-04-2014), madrussian190 (08-08-2014), mr2core (08-05-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
I was referring to the side profile of the RLX and the 4G TL (don't shoot me)... particularly with the rear overhang.

I don't see a ton of the TLX in the RLX side profile but in other areas I do. I just hate that people bash the 4G TL so much when in reality, the current Acura design language isn't a major major departure from it imo. Still swoopy/curvy etc. Also, no... the 4G TL didn't sell as well as the 3G TL, it most certainly sold better than the ILX and RLX... so I don't believe the 4G TL was a failure like most think.

The following 2 users liked this post by randomRon82:
compewterbleu (08-08-2014), Terragotti (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ Interesting, while you don't see much of a difference, I do.

For starters, the thing that always killed me about the 4G TL was it was "rounded" off on the edges. Absolutely no aggression anywhere brought in through harder angles and edges. The rear-end is too rounded and looks like a bubble-but. Add the very round dome top, and then the overly aggressive outward beak protrusion of the front and it just never worked for me. It just looks sloppy and not well put together.

The RLX on the other hand has a more refined rear-end with interesting cuts and angles to give it tighter and subtle aggression. The top doesn't "bubble" up as much, is lower and the angle in which it raises from front to back is also much more subtle, overall blending better with the length of the vehicle. The RLX also has more aggressive and noticeable lines on the bottom half of the car, and they angle upwards further towards the back than the 4G TL does, giving the car more of a forward "pouncing" stance. The 4G TL just looks flat and horizontal.

Notice also how the rear bumper line on the 4G TL just takes a straight 45deg cut upwards to the very end, wheareas the RLX makes a more subtle less direct cut up making it again flow much better with the rest of the car itself.

I also don't like how the rear door and the very tip of the rear door window are not all one piece on the 4G TL. This further breaks up it's flow and lines in the design, whereas the RLX it is all one single piece, giving more uniformity and not disrupting the flow of the design. Or how bout the fin? The fin on the RLX flows much better as it it's slender, longer and flows backwards more than the 4G TL which has a shorter and more upright incline.

Last edited by holografique; 08-03-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I got to sit in the TLX today at Mid-Ohio while there to attend the Honda Indy 200. Acura placed two TLXs and a PAWS RLX in their Honda display today. The TLXs were open and folks were allowed to sit in them.

Edit: My humble addition to this thread:

A dark bluish color, same car as above. There was also a burnt red-ish car there.

My son sitting in the rear seat.

I got to see one of these on the track today.

Last edited by neuronbob; 08-03-2014 at 06:58 PM.
The following 23 users liked this post by neuronbob:
2011TL (08-03-2014), a35tl (08-03-2014), ACCURATEin (08-03-2014), Acura_Dude (08-08-2014), Gen4MDX (08-03-2014), Healingduck (08-03-2014), holografique (08-03-2014), JM2010 SH-AWD (08-04-2014), MikeAmmo (08-03-2014), mr2core (08-05-2014), ostrich (08-04-2014), Oswald Vater (08-04-2014), randomRon82 (08-08-2014), Rocketsfan (08-03-2014), Rocket_man (08-04-2014), rockyfeller (08-04-2014), skd2k1 (08-03-2014), SL1200MK4 (08-04-2014), terdonal (08-04-2014), Timmy18 (08-04-2014), Treblig (08-03-2014), ttribe (08-03-2014), weather (08-03-2014) and 18 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I got to sit in the TLX today at Mid-Ohio while there to attend the Honda Indy 200. Acura placed two TLXs and a PAWS RLX in their Honda display today. The TLXs were open and folks were allowed to sit in them.

I took lots of pics. Processing them now, this is a placeholder post so I have someplace to post the pics when I'm done shrinking them for forum consumption.
neuronbob, I very much look forward to seeing your photos!

Since you sat inside, how did you find the interior space and also the choice of materials?

I must say that when I test drove the MDX recently, I was really underwhelmed by the grade of the materials used in the centre console. So I worry that the TLX will have the same issue...
Old 08-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

The first thing I'll be curious is how the "homelink" will work because I know both the ILX and the RDX have had some serious issues with the range of the homelink for teh garage opener. My TL opens it from quite far away as I am driving down the street, the RDX would barely open it by the end of the driveway and even at times, I had to get inside the house and manually press the garage opener button which annoyed the shit out of me....and the ILX can be similar too.

How about you RLX owners....just curious.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ it's worked pretty well for me. but to be fair I don't push it till I come into the driveway and closer to the garage door.

Our house is on the side of a hill facing a lake, and our driveway starts at the top of the hill on the road and winds down slightly into a larger flat driveway before getting to the garage. I don't push the button till I'm already down the driveway. So I don't know that I'm a good example of whether it works "well" or not.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Something I just noticed, what is with the "mesh" area on the bottom section of the steering wheel? On the RLX it's completely solid and doesn't have that mesh area. Being that it doesn't do much for me "visually" or "aesthetically", I'm not convinced they just did that for looks.

I'm more wondering if it has some actual functional design behind it? Maybe a speaker?

Is that where "bitching betty" speaks now when giving you voice prompts?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ostrich
neuronbob, I very much look forward to seeing your photos!

Since you sat inside, how did you find the interior space and also the choice of materials?

I must say that when I test drove the MDX recently, I was really underwhelmed by the grade of the materials used in the centre console. So I worry that the TLX will have the same issue...
I did not spend a lot of time touching the dash and such. What I did touch felt of reasonable quality (i.e. not cheap). Not at the level of the Germans, but not cheap.

Seats were nice and supportive. Leather was typical of what I've seen from Acura the last few years in that I'd be happy with it.

Front is nice and roomy. I'm 5'10" and 165 pounds, for reference.

I also sat in the back. I could not adjust the front seat backward (no electricity on in the car) but thought it was not overly cramped. Again, for reference, much of my height is in my long legs. With the seat all the way back, the front seat back would probably touch my knees. The RLX next door had extreme rear seat space in comparison.

Personally, I could live with it as a daily commuter.

Something I just noticed, what is with the "mesh" area on the bottom section of the steering wheel? On the RLX it's completely solid and doesn't have that mesh area. Being that it doesn't do much for me "visually" or "aesthetically", I'm not convinced they just did that for looks.

I'm more wondering if it has some actual functional design behind it? Maybe a speaker?

Is that where "bitching betty" speaks now when giving you voice prompts?
I looked at that and it just looks decorative to me. Not sure what else it would be.

Last edited by neuronbob; 08-03-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

holografique...Maybe it's "Bitchy Betty's" lacy undies?? (lol)
Old 08-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Drifting

I did not spend a lot of time touching the dash and such. What I did touch felt of reasonable quality (i.e. not cheap). Not at the level of the Germans, but not cheap.

Seats were nice and supportive. Leather was typical of what I've seen from Acura the last few years in that I'd be happy with it.

I also sat in the back. I could not adjust the front seat backward (no electricity on in the car) but thought it was not overly cramped. Again, for reference, much of my height is in my long legs. With the seat all the way back, the front seat back would probably touch my knees. The RLX next door had extreme rear seat space in comparison.

I looked at that and it just looks decorative to me. Not sure what else it would be.
Thanks, neuronbob! I very much enjoy my 4G TL and if it's at least the same grade of materials (or better!) then I am happy. I somehow feel that the materials in the 4G TL were better than that of the 2014 MDX, esp. in the centre console....
Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Interior size is similar to what I recall of my 3G TL. I think those who have a 3G TL will be pleased. To me, it seems Acura was trying to channel as much 3G TL as possible for this car. I am, so far, pleased with the car. I wish I could take a test drive.
Rocketsfan (08-03-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Interior size is similar to what I recall of my 3G TL. I think those who have a 3G TL will be pleased. To me, it seems Acura was trying to channel as much 3G TL as possible for this car. I am, so far, pleased with the car. I wish I could take a test drive.
Sounds like a winner! Itching to test drive one too. I just wish there were more Acura dealers in CLE. Nearest one to me is Bedford. And it's not close.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

I would agree. And if you want a bigger car, then that's what the RLX is for. No different strategy than any of the other brands.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by randomRon82
I was referring to the side profile of the RLX and the 4G TL (don't shoot me)... particularly with the rear overhang.

I don't see a ton of the TLX in the RLX side profile but in other areas I do. I just hate that people bash the 4G TL so much when in reality, the current Acura design language isn't a major major departure from it imo. Still swoopy/curvy etc. Also, no... the 4G TL didn't sell as well as the 3G TL, it most certainly sold better than the ILX and RLX... so I don't believe the 4G TL was a failure like most think.

I still like the 4G better than the 3G and there is some similarities between this and the RLX. Small ones but similar.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeAmmo
Sounds like a winner! Itching to test drive one too. I just wish there were more Acura dealers in CLE. Nearest one to me is Bedford. And it's not close.
Aye - Motorcars Acura and Airport Acura are the two options. Surprised they don't have one in the Mentor area.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Aye - Motorcars Acura and Airport Acura are the two options. Surprised they don't have one in the Mentor area.
Yeah I'm in Lake County. Motorcars is the closest.

I saw one on the opposite side of the highway driving through Columbus yesterday. Not a "breathtaking" design by any means but from a distance the LEDs did their job of catching my eye.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah I'm in Lake County. Motorcars is the closest.
I live 3 miles from Motorcars and it is my preferred dealer. It is too bad there is not another in Northeast Cuyahoga County or in western Lake County.
MikeAmmo (08-04-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 10:01 PM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Glad we're seeing more "real world" pics people are taking. Good for noticing small things in the car we haven't seen before.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Thx for the pics, neuronbob. A couple of those are really sweet and look better than many of the "official" pics I've seen. I really like the look of that first pic of the blue car.

Can't wait to check the car out in person. Anybody know if any DFW dealers have them in stock to check out or test drive or when they'll come in?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 AM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
^ Interesting, while you don't see much of a difference, I do.

For starters, the thing that always killed me about the 4G TL was it was "rounded" off on the edges. Absolutely no aggression anywhere brought in through harder angles and edges. The rear-end is too rounded and looks like a bubble-but. Add the very round dome top, and then the overly aggressive outward beak protrusion of the front and it just never worked for me. It just looks sloppy and not well put together.

The RLX on the other hand has a more refined rear-end with interesting cuts and angles to give it tighter and subtle aggression. The top doesn't "bubble" up as much, is lower and the angle in which it raises from front to back is also much more subtle, overall blending better with the length of the vehicle. The RLX also has more aggressive and noticeable lines on the bottom half of the car, and they angle upwards further towards the back than the 4G TL does, giving the car more of a forward "pouncing" stance. The 4G TL just looks flat and horizontal.

Notice also how the rear bumper line on the 4G TL just takes a straight 45deg cut upwards to the very end, wheareas the RLX makes a more subtle less direct cut up making it again flow much better with the rest of the car itself.

I also don't like how the rear door and the very tip of the rear door window are not all one piece on the 4G TL. This further breaks up it's flow and lines in the design, whereas the RLX it is all one single piece, giving more uniformity and not disrupting the flow of the design. Or how bout the fin? The fin on the RLX flows much better as it it's slender, longer and flows backwards more than the 4G TL which has a shorter and more upright incline.
I never got that part of the 4GTL. It's total blasphemy of good clean design. When the rear door is open, you have this oddly shaped little part of the rear door mirror that stays with the D pillar.

This part of the RLX is clean but on the TLX, it's even cleaner with the sharp nearly straight line.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:31 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
I got to see one of these on the track today.
Strange that they went with the CDM/RU taillights this time around...perhaps they decided that and the chrome beak looked nicer than their production US counterparts

Better yet maybe these are changes we'll be seeing for the Type-S

Old 08-04-2014, 02:47 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by dysonlu
I never got that part of the 4GTL. It's total blasphemy of good clean design. When the rear door is open, you have this oddly shaped little part of the rear door mirror that stays with the D pillar.
It was a nod to the 2G TL which also had cut lines in the rear side window trim, leaving a portion of the trim on the D pillar. That and the chrome window trim itself, and the elongated, pulled-back rear side windows ending in a hoffmeister kink were intended to bring back memories of the 2G. Perhaps features only OCD fanbois would notice

Last edited by silverTL6; 08-04-2014 at 02:51 AM.
compewterbleu (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 02:57 AM
Racer

But but but the numbers say interior size is smaller than the Civic's!

The drama some people create before actually seeing and sitting in the car.

Last edited by dysonlu; 08-04-2014 at 03:00 AM.
Healingduck (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 03:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by silverTL6
It was a nod to the 2G TL which also had cut lines in the rear side window trim, leaving a portion of the trim on the D pillar. That and the chrome window trim itself, and the elongated, pulled-back rear side windows ending in a hoffmeister kink were intended to bring back memories of the 2G. Perhaps features only OCD fanbois would notice

Lol. That's terrible!

Good eye!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Intermediate

I live 3 miles from Motorcars and it is my preferred dealer. It is too bad there is not another in Northeast Cuyahoga County or in western Lake County.
They're likely going to be the dealer I go through because it's close to my work (of course, I would rather take a test drive on a day off).

How's their overall experience/how willing are they to deal?
Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Holy cow there is a great deal of dirt/fingerprints on that interior. I guess there were a lot of grubby little fingers at that event, huh? Hopefully they don't all get that dirty so easy.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by blacktsxwagon
Holy cow there is a great deal of dirt/fingerprints on that interior. I guess there were a lot of grubby little fingers at that event, huh? Hopefully they don't all get that dirty so easy.
Or it would be better for Acura to stay away from that glossy "wood" trim. The matt wood trim on the new MDX looks 100X better.... OK, it's only available in the "Elite" trim in Canada, but at least it is available. I hope it will be an option here for the TLX but I am not holding my breath.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator

They're likely going to be the dealer I go through because it's close to my work (of course, I would rather take a test drive on a day off).

How's their overall experience/how willing are they to deal?
I purchased three Acuras from them, and I got them at reasonable prices (exception my 3G TL, which I was the first in line for when I bought it, and paid MSRP).

Service department was excellent in that when I brought in for a problem (rare), they'd fix more than I asked for--a good thing.

PM'd sales folks used, they are still there after all these years.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:19 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
[QUOTE=silverTL6;15106074]It was a nod to the 2G TL which also had cut lines in the rear side window trim, leaving a portion of the trim on the D pillar. That and the chrome window trim itself, and the elongated, pulled-back rear side windows ending in a hoffmeister kink were intended to bring back memories of the 2G. Perhaps features only OCD fanbois would notice

I liked it. The 4G stood out in a crowd, hell the Q50 looks likes a Mazda, the Lexus has gone Predator with that crazy grille, and the TL has caved in to lesser aggressive MMC then 5G all because of a larger grille. Audi didn't cave in. Acura has been given a stigma and it's going to take something amazing to erase it. True, they've made some questionable moves, but I wonder if the 4G had 335 hp, folding side mirrors, cooled seats, touch screen NAV, and such from jump street it the publication rags gave the 4G rave reviews like the German brands folks would be all over it. But instead we got a really reliable, top safety pick, and fans who love to hate the newer model vehicle. I don't think this brand will ever have a AMG or M series type vehicle. The suits just aren't interested in that type of car manufacturing.

Last edited by compewterbleu; 08-04-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: More to say.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Burning Brakes

I haven't seen any new pics being posted here lately... so for those that haven't been able to see the TLX in person yet here are a few new pics from various social media outlets. Dealerships are super ecstatic at the moment.

The following 6 users liked this post by randomRon82:
2011TL (08-08-2014), dysonlu (08-08-2014), internalaudit (08-08-2014), iutodd (08-08-2014), JM2010 SH-AWD (08-08-2014), Stew4HD (08-08-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Thanks Ron!! It may be a couple more weeks or so before we get them here.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:02 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
The white TLX looks so clean and classy.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
It looks as though there are very few 4cyl models produced. My dealer has two V6s, but one of them is already pre-sold. No 4cyls anytime soon they said.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
Blues and Red seem to be rare. I ordered blue on black
Old 08-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

You can't see it that well... but this one has the accessory side chrome strips. I actually like them... they're subtle.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Burning Brakes

red again

Quick Reply: TLX in the wild... and new pics