TLX in the wild... and new pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Got to agree on this one!! I saw this happen over 3 generations of Corvettes over at the Corvette forum. I had a C4 and as the C5 was being introduced there was the same type of criticisms and debates, even after the model was introduced. Same for the C6 and now the C7.

The subject matter gets pretty laughable over here what with debating the precise size and shape of the grill, style of wheels, placement of puddle lights, wheel gap too small/too large, etc. The depths of discussion over these trivial matters almost gets to the point of studying the left hind leg of a flea.
And yet they live on because people keep reading those threads and posting in them. Those threads on forums remind me of the Yogi Berra saying "nobody ever eats there any more because it's always so crowded".

BTW, I have not bought a C7 yet but I read the C7 forum every day. I've been on that forum for 13 years and during that time have owned two C5s and four C6s. I'm out of them because I spend so much time riding my motorcycles.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:04 AM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
And yet they live on because people keep reading those threads and posting in them. Those threads on forums remind me of the Yogi Berra saying "nobody ever eats there any more because it's always so crowded".
And it's not just limited to automobiles. I've seen it on other forums that I've been reading that deal with cameras, stereos, refrigerators, TVs, you name it. Because many people think they're an expert on everything, when they see a new product they immediately find something, anything, that is a "deal-breaker". The TLX could be priced at $20k, make nachos in the glove compartment, and spit gold nuggets out its "hidden" exhaust tips and you'd still have the know-it-alls say "What? They put a gap on the dashboard underneath the nav screen? That is a deal-breaker for me!!!".
The following 4 users liked this post by 4thaccord:
a35tl (07-23-2014), Gen4MDX (07-23-2014), skd2k1 (07-23-2014), Stew4HD (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 06:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by 4thaccord
And it's not just limited to automobiles. I've seen it on other forums that I've been reading that deal with cameras, stereos, refrigerators, TVs, you name it. Because many people think they're an expert on everything, when they see a new product they immediately find something, anything, that is a "deal-breaker". The TLX could be priced at $20k, make nachos in the glove compartment, and spit gold nuggets out its "hidden" exhaust tips and you'd still have the know-it-alls say "What? They put a gap on the dashboard underneath the nav screen? That is a deal-breaker for me!!!".
So very true! Keyboard experts.. gotta love them
The following 2 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
a35tl (07-23-2014), Gen4MDX (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 06:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
What do you expect, Its the internet. Everyone has the right to their opinion and have the right to express it. The koolaid drinkers for the brand are no better with their need to defend the product than those that find reasons not to like it.
The following users liked this post:
rockyfeller (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
What do you expect, Its the internet. Everyone has the right to their opinion and have the right to express it. The koolaid drinkers for the brand are no better with their need to defend the product than those that find reasons not to like it.
Why is it such a negative to like something, a lot, and then want to defend it? We get tagged as "kool aid drinkers" for our passion.

I am just curious about that is all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
a35tl (07-23-2014), Gen4MDX (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Why is it such a negative to like something, a lot, and then want to defend it? We get tagged as "kool aid drinkers" for our passion.

I am just curious about that is all.
Its not any more so than to those that dislike something. Those that dont like something get tagged as haters by those that do. Everyone has their own opinion. Complaining to or about someone that sees something differently as you is just as bad as complaining about them not liking something.

Is it so bad that some (the ones you see as not having your passion) want MORE from the company (in this case Acura) that all know they are capable of it?? Why do some feel the need to complain about those that are disappointed in something they were hoping more from?

Im not trying to be argumentative, just trying to point out perspective from the other side. Ill admit i am NOT fond of the recent batch of designs from Acuras, but that doesnt mean i hate the brand, i have great passion for them (those that know me here know that). I (like many others) just want more from them.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 07-23-2014 at 12:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
rockyfeller (07-23-2014), Stew4HD (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Plus you have to consider that those of us that spend time on product-specific forums (cars especially but likely also audiophile forums, camera forums, etc.) are far from the normal consumer audience. Cars especially tend to sell based on overall appearance and feel of the package rather than things like wheel gap, are the turn signals amber or clear, precise layout of interior buttons and doodads, etc. When I am car shopping, the first thing that hits me is the overall appearance followed by the overall driving experience. If those things grab me favorably that pretty much cinches the deal. This is what happened when my wife and I were shopping to replace our 2000 TL. We were looking for something different so a new TL was placed down on our list. We looked first at the Genesis but while it was pleasant nothing really grabbed us. Same thing for the Lexus ES--looks pleasant but not much fun to drive. When we finally looked at the TL the looks were at least distinctive but what really grabbed us was the performance and handling--much more fun than the others. At that point details like styling of the wheels, placement of controls at the interior, etc. (you know, all the things that are dissected here) really had little or no impact.

Which I believe is the way most people buy cars--overall package impression.
The following 5 users liked this post by SeismicGuy:
a35tl (07-23-2014), CheeseyPoofs McNut (07-23-2014), Gen4MDX (07-23-2014), JT4 (07-24-2014), Tonyware (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by skd2k1
I've owned a 3-series in the past. when the e36 debuted, the e30 guys hated it. when the e46 debuted, the e36 guys hated it. that's just how it goes.
Haha, ya that's true on that part, I have to agree with you there. I remember those days. That really was a time they were doing big revamps.

But in the last 10yrs. not so much. They have done much more conservative redesigns across the whole company. The latest facelifts are so minor you hardly notice them even though the whole front/rear ends are changed on the car.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:26 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Plus you have to consider that those of us that spend time on product-specific forums (cars especially but likely also audiophile forums, camera forums, etc.) are far from the normal consumer audience. Cars especially tend to sell based on overall appearance and feel of the package rather than things like wheel gap, are the turn signals amber or clear, precise layout of interior buttons and doodads, etc. When I am car shopping, the first thing that hits me is the overall appearance followed by the overall driving experience. If those things grab me favorably that pretty much cinches the deal. This is what happened when my wife and I were shopping to replace our 2000 TL. We were looking for something different so a new TL was placed down on our list. We looked first at the Genesis but while it was pleasant nothing really grabbed us. Same thing for the Lexus ES--looks pleasant but not much fun to drive. When we finally looked at the TL the looks were at least distinctive but what really grabbed us was the performance and handling--much more fun than the others. At that point details like styling of the wheels, placement of controls at the interior, etc. (you know, all the things that are dissected here) really had little or no impact.

Very well said.

But guys who hang out at forums are also opinion leaders, some with extensive automotive and engineering experience. Their opinion matters. Sorry to say, but some here wouldn't know the difference between a spark plug and an injector (as an example). They just wash their cars and buy wheels. People, consumers are not as naive as they use to be. They do know know how to use "google" and when in a year or so some potential TLX buyer googles "Acura TLX problems" I guarantee you acurazine is going to be #1 in the results.

Let's give the TLX a year on the road and see what happens.

Ps. The reason I am not driving a q50s right now is because I googled "infinity q50s problems"... and I am in the market Acura is after.

Last edited by Tonyware; 07-23-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Its not any more so than to those that dislike something. Those that dont like something get tagged as haters by those that do. Everyone has their own opinion. Complaining to or about someone that sees something differently as you is just as bad as complaining about them not liking something.

Is it so bad that some (the ones you see as not having your passion) want MORE from the company (in this case Acura) that all know they are capable of it?? Why do some feel the need to complain about those that are disappointed in something they were hoping more from?

Im not trying to be argumentative, just trying to point out perspective from the other side. Ill admit i am NOT fond of the recent batch of designs from Acuras, but that doesnt mean i hate the brand, i have great passion for them (those that know me here know that). I (like many others) just want more from them.
Well, the difference here is that forums are normally for fans of a given subject or product, not for people who don't like said subject or product. So what I don't get is people who hate something, for example the TLX, but stick around to hammer in their hate about it. I get that some would want to voice their frustration and disappointment because they hope that the company could do better but lots of them express hate, nothing positive to say about something. I would understand if it was a drive-by dude viewing a news article about an Acura car and decides to troll in the comments section of the article. But lurking in a forum dedicated to a product you happen to hate, that's quite strange to me.

By the way, here, it is not so bad. I visit vtec.net too (as many of you do too I'm sure) and there are some guys there (thinking about that guy over there with a three-letter username) that have nothing but nothing positive to say ever but they are always there commenting.

Last edited by dysonlu; 07-23-2014 at 01:33 PM.
skd2k1 (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by dysonlu
Well, the difference here is that forums are normally for fans of a given subject or product, not for people who don't like said subject or product. So what I don't get is people who hate something, for example the TLX, but stick around to hammer in their hate about it. I would understand if it was a drive-by dude viewing a news article about an Acura car and decides to voice his opinion in the comments section of the article. But lurking in a forum dedicated to a product you happen to hate, that's quite strange to me.

By the way, here, it is not so bad. I visit vtec.net too (as many of you do too I'm sure) and there are some guys (thinking about that guy over there with a three-letter username) there that have nothing but nothing positive to say ever but they are always there commenting.
You always get those occasional nut-cases who are not really interested in the subject of the forum but enjoy creating controversy for no particular reason. They tend to hang around for a while feeding off the sparring that is generated but then eventually leave once they are ignored.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tonyware
Very well said.

But guys who hang out at forums are also opinion leaders, some with extensive automotive and engineering experience. Their opinion matters. Sorry to say, but some here wouldn't know the difference between a spark plug and an injector (as an example). They just wash their cars and buy wheels. People, consumers are not as naive as they use to be. They do know know how to use "google" and when in a year or so some potential TLX buyer googles "Acura TLX problems" I guarantee you acurazine is going to be #1 in the results.

Let's give the TLX a year on the road and see what happens.

Ps. The reason I am not driving a q50s right now is because I googled "infinity q50s problems"... and I am in the market Acura is after.

Right and that useful information found in Acurazine would be from fans and owners of the car, not from those "haters".

Also, I've noticed that the said "experts" or "opinion leaders" actually have balanced opinions, supported by reason. Frequently, those who voice unmitigated negative opinions are totally blinded by their hate, not listening to reason.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Why do some feel the need to complain about those that are disappointed in something they were hoping more from?
Because in general, we'd all be better off being happy and positive, instead of ranting and raving about exhaust tips and wheel gaps and things that you will hopefully realize one day are not in any way important. I could see being disappointed if the engine were too small or the interior seemed cheap ala ILX, but let's keep some perspective. There is disappointed, and then there's just ridiculous. On the other hand, if someone loves the TLX, great!
dysonlu (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 02:05 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
I came here for new pics...

The following 3 users liked this post by Teh Jatt:
AsianRage (07-23-2014), ggesq (07-24-2014), rockyfeller (07-24-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Because in general, we'd all be better off being happy and positive, instead of ranting and raving about exhaust tips and wheel gaps and things that you will hopefully realize one day are not in any way important. I could see being disappointed if the engine were too small or the interior seemed cheap ala ILX, but let's keep some perspective. There is disappointed, and then there's just ridiculous. On the other hand, if someone loves the TLX, great!
Them fightin words.

Last edited by usdmJON; 07-23-2014 at 02:19 PM.
iutodd (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 02:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Teh Jatt
I came here for new pics...

LOL
Old 07-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

Sadly, you are probably significantly more open-minded than the average car buyer. Most people start with the brand and many never get beyond that. Those of us who buy cars based on rational considerations are increasingly fewer and farther between.

That said, if Acura wants to get serious about competing against certain brands and remaining at a certain level of consideration among potential buyers, those little details that may not matter much to you, will start to add up across enough buyers. Those little details are what create the perceptions of luxury vs premium vs pedestrian. Many of us are pressing for the Acura brand to truly "advance" its status because we want to see the brand, as a whole, improve and grow.
JT4 (07-24-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 04:51 PM
__M|M__

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts
Old 07-23-2014, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This makes me love my 2012 TSX SE even more!!
Old 07-23-2014, 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dysonlu
Well, the difference here is that forums are normally for fans of a given subject or product, not for people who don't like said subject or product. So what I don't get is people who hate something, for example the TLX, but stick around to hammer in their hate about it. I get that some would want to voice their frustration and disappointment because they hope that the company could do better but lots of them express hate, nothing positive to say about something. I would understand if it was a drive-by dude viewing a news article about an Acura car and decides to troll in the comments section of the article. But lurking in a forum dedicated to a product you happen to hate, that's quite strange to me.

By the way, here, it is not so bad. I visit vtec.net too (as many of you do too I'm sure) and there are some guys there (thinking about that guy over there with a three-letter username) that have nothing but nothing positive to say ever but they are always there commenting.
Double edge sword. You are partially correct. Yes, Forums are here for fans, lovers, koolaid drinkers, but they are also here for information (ie.. reliability, how to's etc..) and they are also here for those that have the product or those that are possibly looking at the product to voice their fondness OR dislike of the product. Just because its a forum for a specific product does NOT mean everyone has to like it. Someone "lurking" around as you put it and posting their dislike doesnt always mean they hate it. "I" will admit i dislike it, BUT that doesnt mean i hate it or that its not on my radar as a upcoming vehicle purchase. My biggest problem is that i have to spend thousands of dollars to make it look better or the way i would like it when they could have given us the opportunity to just be able to purchase it that way. Did you ever think that Maybe they are "lurking" around in hopes that some new information has come to light that they might like and make them more interested in the product rather than the dislike they had???

Last edited by fsttyms1; 07-23-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX

I've spent time on lots of car forums - BMW, Nissan, Cadillac, Lexus, Honda, Infiniti, etc., etc., and EVERY TIME there is a new-model redesign, there are people who bitch, jump out of windows, or vow to throw in the towel and change brands. Then, after a few months, everything starts to settle down and they slowly begin to accept - and even like - like the new model.

EVERY TIME. It never fails. And it's gotten to be almost funny.

Some people just seem to hate change, and they resist it to the bitter end. Some of it is because they've become attached to their current car and don't want to see it become obsolete. Some of it is because they don't want to have to buy another car to stay current. Some of it is envy.

Not all change is good, but in general it is. New styling, new tech, new advances in engines and transmission, better gas mileage, etc. Sheetmetal that seemed odd at first often becomes cutting edge and stylish.

Don't fight it, folks. Give it a chance.

Try not to do this. I did it and it was a big mistake. If you do it -- put your flack jacket on.

I was one of the 1st people to buy a 2014 IS 350 Fsport. I had to endure months of abuse -- from 2IS owners. All they did was whine and complain. They slammed me (and a few others) about what a horrible car the 3IS is because -- well, it wasn't an optimized 2IS or a BMW. They shut up when the 1st sales numbers came out and showed that the 3IS is a big hit.

I spent a lot of time explaining economies of scale and brand equity to this crowd. I explained that Lexus knew exactly what it was doing because it had storehouses of demo/psycho data-- to no avail.

I was going through a divorce so in the end they helped me process my feelings.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:43 AM
Suzuka Master

^ Hi Glashub! Good to hear from you
Old 07-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Burning Brakes

You too Stew4HD. Not to derail the thread but I see you got out of your GS (curious as to why) and it's not clear what you're driving. You waiting on the TLX? Truth be told, I miss a lot of things about the 2010 TL I had and every time I see a 3G I regret every selling mine. I see quite a few of them here in LA -- they are aging really well. The TLX should be a popular car -- it's just (as indicated above) get ready for everyone telling you what it isn't before they come into acceptance and appreciation of what it is
Old 07-24-2014, 08:18 AM
Suzuka Master

There were several reasons why I got out of that car. I decided to try a lease and quickly realized that I was not a good candidate foer one when 4 months in, I was not far from my yearly miles. I really didn't think I drove that much but then again, I changed jobs and was driving farther.

Another thing was that I noticed that I wasn't impressed with sevaral angles of the car like I was with the '12 TL. I loved the way the TL looked it's profile.. yeah, I was silly for getting rid of the TL.

I am in a '14 Accord Coupe EX-L awaiting the TLX.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm not surprised -- the GS needs updating. Now that I've owned Acura, Genesis, and Lexus -- I have to say Acura is the smartest in making choices as to what features, etc. to include or not within a price point and represents the best value driving experience included. Example: this 50K IS doesn't have tilt down side mirrors.
H_CAR (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
This one goes out to everyone who comes here looking for "new pics"

TLX in the wild... and new pics-tlx-acura.jpg

Fresh from the Acura Instagram account - looks kind of mean from that angle.
The following 9 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
a35tl (07-24-2014), Acura_Dude (07-25-2014), BlueAc (07-24-2014), dysonlu (07-24-2014), HeartTLs (07-24-2014), ostrich (07-25-2014), skd2k1 (07-24-2014), Stew4HD (07-24-2014), Timmy18 (07-24-2014) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-24-2014, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
^that might be favorite pic yet! the future looks bright for the tlx.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:12 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Better pic via fb.

Wheels will look really good when seen in person.
The following 10 users liked this post by MuGen7Modulo:
a35tl (07-24-2014), A4toTL (07-24-2014), Acura_Dude (07-25-2014), AirForceFX (07-24-2014), BlueAc (07-24-2014), dysonlu (07-24-2014), ostrich (07-25-2014), skd2k1 (07-24-2014), Stew4HD (07-24-2014), VQPower37 (07-24-2014) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 465 Likes on 198 Posts
19" MDX wheels.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo
Better pic via fb.

I could see myself in that... but in white
Old 07-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I hate white cars! *LMAO* (j/k)
Old 07-24-2014, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
TLX Model arrives on the Showroom Floor!!!

Been feelin' bad that I couldn't contribute to the thread...
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin:
J.A.S. (07-24-2014), Timmy18 (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
^^ OMG, Acura's using some terrible paint! The fit and finish suck! They suck!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I thought this was kinda funny. From New Yorker cartoonist Christopher Weyant :

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 07-24-2014 at 08:05 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Rocketsfan:
Acura_Dude (07-25-2014), cokorote (07-25-2014), Glashub (07-24-2014), gtinmia (07-25-2014), Legend2TL (07-25-2014), ostrich (07-25-2014), ReLaX (07-25-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Better pic via fb.

I wonder what those wheels would look like if those curved parts were blacked out? Like Plastidipped black.

These aren't the 'bad' base I4 wheels we've seen. I don't think these look particularly bad, they just seem a little busy.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin

Been feelin' bad that I couldn't contribute to the thread...
That model looks so bland and boring! They totally ruined that model. I'm not buying it now!
skd2k1 (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmy18
19" MDX wheels.

Interesting looking color....
Old 07-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 465 Likes on 198 Posts
I didn't choose the color, whoever made the 3D model attempted to recreate BCP I'm guessing. Usually all the 3D models are silver/ grey..

Where did the model TLX come from? What scale is it? Where is it from?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
There were several reasons why I got out of that car. I decided to try a lease and quickly realized that I was not a good candidate foer one when 4 months in, I was not far from my yearly miles. I really didn't think I drove that much but then again, I changed jobs and was driving farther.

Another thing was that I noticed that I wasn't impressed with sevaral angles of the car like I was with the '12 TL. I loved the way the TL looked it's profile.. yeah, I was silly for getting rid of the TL.

I am in a '14 Accord Coupe EX-L awaiting the TLX.
We have not talked in a while. I too wondered why you got out of the GS. We had our TL for almost three years and traded it for a GS350 with the luxury package for my wife. I agree it does not have as much character, but it's a really nice car.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:35 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Better pic via fb.

This pic makes me think I could see myself in one once my lease is up in two years. GREAT pic. Very flattering. Can't wait to see one in person now.

Quick Reply: TLX in the wild... and new pics