Official RAYS ENGINEERING/VOLK RACING wheel thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered my set of GTS's on November 7th and still haven't got them. I was suppose to get my refund months ago and never got it. Got the Better Business Bureau involved and still got the run-a-round and now I finally talk to them and they say my set is on its way should be here by the end of the week from California, but I had already ordered a different set of wheels so now I don't know which set I'll keep.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
The GT-S's look awesome!
Old 05-28-2007, 04:08 PM
8AT > 6MT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
Front plate is required by LAW in ILLINOIS Cops are Nazi's where I live
laws? who needs stinkin laws? we have it in the states too but i don't put it on =) Mainly because i don't think "luxury" cars are as picked on
Old 05-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
You are lucky then. Plus you don't live where I do. When you put nice wheels on and lower a car, it gets the cops attention around here. Then tint and no front plate will complete the package for cops to stop. Nazi's.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:58 PM
8AT > 6MT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are lucky then. Plus you don't live where I do. When you put nice wheels on and lower a car, it gets the cops attention around here. Then tint and no front plate will complete the package for cops to stop. Nazi's.
ROFL! i live in southern california where we are the capital of import industry. there's more fixed up cars around here than you can imagine =) and the cops are on all our asses...hence why, no emissions modifications to the car can be done. But i can see that where you live, you'll stick out even more since no one around there probably fixes up their car. Here there's a lot of fixed up cars, but the kids with civics and integras get busted more.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NOT THAT UGLY

Aprox 1" Drop Eibach pros
RE 050A 245/40/18 Pole Pos.
Tint comimg soon.
Debadged, Type-S put back on.
Nokya 7000k bulbs coming for fogs.
Hate the Front plate

Looks good- but the rear tires look lost ( kind of small).
Old 05-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

Another Pic Volk RE 30

Yes, this is standard Mercury Silver

Name:  IM000417.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  194.0 KB

18" is the Biggest size in this Wheel. 16.5# BABY

They don't look lost HERE
Old 05-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Safety Car

The picture on 5-27-07 11:04 a.m. does make the rear tires look small. But the picture above shows it was the lighting. Much better fill.
The tires are 245/40/18. They are 0.1" taller then stock 235/45/17" But wider and look great from behind. A true summer tire.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:03 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I have to admit, I wasn't too impressed with the original pics JD, but that new one changes everything. The car looks really good! How wide are the wheels? Do you have any suspension work?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chill_dog
I have to admit, I wasn't too impressed with the original pics JD, but that new one changes everything. The car looks really good! How wide are the wheels? Do you have any suspension work?
The pictures do look diff then in person. The wheels are 18"x 8". The tires are wider then stock and a little taller. The car is about 1.25" lower F & R using Eibach Pro springs and stock shocks. Rides great, but on big bumps or wavy roads the stock shocks start to have a hard time keeping up. But 95% of the time the shocks are fine. I will probably get Koni's next summer.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Drifting

I think next summer it's going to be Eibach ProDampers. I'm lovin the drop so far!
Old 05-31-2007, 09:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dragonlord
I think next summer it's going to be Eibach ProDampers. I'm lovin the drop so far!
YAH thats another option. Since they are designed for the Pro springs. The only thing is the Koni yellow have damping adjustment. I made sure I didn't say dampening, like a wet towel

Glad your happy. What about RonJons??? What size did you get??? Color???
Old 05-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Drifting

RonJon's hopefully will be in for the show, if not- it's the Enkei's. I got the Liquid Graphite.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:36 AM
Safety Car

SWEET, I think 18's are a great choice/decision. Are streets aren't like Cali.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:40 AM
Drifting

I
Old 06-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Advanced

Finally got my set of GTS's and they look awesome in person and so far they look like they will fit perfect. They clear the brembos and cant wait to get tires on em. I'll post pics later
Old 06-04-2007, 08:28 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by NCSU TL
Finally got my set of GTS's and they look awesome in person and so far they look like they will fit perfect. They clear the brembos and cant wait to get tires on em. I'll post pics later
BAX Global says mine will be delivered thise week! looks like the GT-Ss are abound!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Safety Car

Congrats. Are you happy? How many sets of wheels do you have now? Are you sure these are what you really want? Glade for you, Enjoy!

Can you put up some pics with each differnet wheel on your car? It would be so nice
Old 06-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Advanced

curious what your opinions are on the gl57 pros are? I like the polished lip and appears they have them. also, what cleaners are you guys using? I bought a used set of gt-cs off ebay and the lips were stained and pitted! guy called them excellent, they went back.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:01 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
One hell of a wait!

I'm glad they finally arrived and look forward to seeing them in person maybe one day. I'll let you know if i'm ever around in Raleigh or Durham.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:51 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by billinohio
curious what your opinions are on the gl57 pros are? I like the polished lip and appears they have them. also, what cleaners are you guys using? I bought a used set of gt-cs off ebay and the lips were stained and pitted! guy called them excellent, they went back.
I don't know what to tell you about cleaning them. I perfer the 57F Pro over the 57 Pro. But I was TOLD that you can't get the 57F Pro in the states. If you want them, you have to buy ro_ja brand which is the same wheel. They look great with the silver center with polished lip. Ask Kennedy about the cleaning/maintenance, he has several sets of Volks $$$
Old 06-05-2007, 07:02 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Congrats. Are you happy? How many sets of wheels do you have now? Are you sure these are what you really want? Glade for you, Enjoy!

Can you put up some pics with each differnet wheel on your car? It would be so nice
Very happy... but who wouldn't be with 3 sets of Volk Racing rims at thier disposal. I wish I had 2 other cars to justify keeping them all.
As stated in my FS thread, I ordered the GT-Ss first... Those are the ones I always wanted. I picked up the GT-7s on the cheap becasue the lip was discolored, and I've since had them refinished. The intent was to run the GT-7s (after having them refinished) until the GT-Ss came in. I never expected it to take 9 weeks to get those lips polished out. While waiting on both sets of GT's, oneildx sold me his TE37s with Falkens for a great deal as well. They're what's currently rolling on the TL.
To be honest JD, I'm blessed to have the resources to drop on these things when they come available, but since 2 of these 3 sets of wheels are slightly used (with a few imperfections), I have less tied up in both sets used Volk 19's (TE37s and GT-7s) both with tires and 1 with TPMS, than you dropped on that 1 set of RE's you're rolling. I don't mind a little imperfection/rash, it's inevitable when you drive where and like I do. Knowing you paid 1/2 the retail cost will keep you from throwing up the day you curb one.
I'm also a shrewd shopper, but I also know I'll get back what I put into them (and maybe a buck or two extra) provided I don't curb em up. They're a bit of an investment if you will, especially if you can pick em up cheap.

Here's is a pic today:

Perhaps I'll take the time to put the GT-7s on this weekend. Here's a representative picture of the GT-7s though, considering I have WDP as well (I'm just dropped more).

The following users liked this post:
JD TL-S (04-07-2012)
Old 06-05-2007, 07:06 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by billinohio
Got your PM Bill. That's the danger of ebay.
Clean with soap and water only... for stubborn tar and such, "goo gone". AVOID THE SPRAY WHEEL CLEANERS. DO NOT LET THE DEALER DETAIL YOUR CAR.

Bill, you should just go with my GT-7s... They would look great on your Carbon/Anthracite with the gunmetal centers.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
One hell of a wait!

I'm glad they finally arrived and look forward to seeing them in person maybe one day. I'll let you know if i'm ever around in Raleigh or Durham.
Sounds good, I probably wont have them on for another week though cause i have to figure out someone who can mount the tires and I have to figure something out with the TPMS and those bands. I have just been really busy lately with my job and its hard to find time to do stuff when everything is only open when you have to work.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn kennedy, someones a high roller! haha

Trade me a set of those volks lol I think im changing my mind on which direction I want to go with the car...
Old 06-05-2007, 05:18 PM
tehLEGOman

Sounds good, I probably wont have them on for another week though cause i have to figure out someone who can mount the tires and I have to figure something out with the TPMS and those bands. I have just been really busy lately with my job and its hard to find time to do stuff when everything is only open when you have to work.
Good deal keep working hard,...doing so keeps you from spending money. Look into Discount Tire Company, not sure if you're familiar with them but i actually just got done having my rear tires dismounted, mounted, and balanced at one in Charlotte. There should be a few in Raleigh maybe on Six Forks I think. I always take my car there when it's time for new tires. They're also open on Saturdays if your job is Mon-Fri.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Good deal keep working hard,...doing so keeps you from spending money. Look into Discount Tire Company, not sure if you're familiar with them but i actually just got done having my rear tires dismounted, mounted, and balanced at one in Charlotte. There should be a few in Raleigh maybe on Six Forks I think. I always take my car there when it's time for new tires. They're also open on Saturdays if your job is Mon-Fri.
thanks cause I have been calling everywhere today and noone seems to know about installing the tpms sensors and guaranteeing that they will work so I will prob call them here in a min and I was also wondering haven't you done business with phantasm do you think they might can do it?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kennedy
BAX Global says mine will be delivered thise week! looks like the GT-Ss are abound!

YAH you got some really great deals. If my car was white I might of picked up those TE's. He PM'd me when he was selling them. But I didn't think they would look good on ASM. You will have 3 sets of very good looking wheels. I really like the tough look of the TE's. The GT-7's are cool. But I think I will like the GT-S the best. Maybe in the future I will check out the GT-S or whatever comes out. I am still getting alot of great comments on my RE 30's. When I put all the parts together with getting the GT-S wheels, etc. they would of been about $500 cheaper then what I have. But my wheels are unique, very strong and light with no bailing wire holding the TPMS sensors on. They don't snap necks but I already have been asked from a couple people to let them know when I am ready to sell the car as is.

Get those GT-S wheels on with pics
Old 06-05-2007, 11:01 PM
tehLEGOman

thanks cause I have been calling everywhere today and noone seems to know about installing the tpms sensors and guaranteeing that they will work so I will prob call them here in a min and I was also wondering haven't you done business with phantasm do you think they might can do it?
Nam at Phantasm should know a good bit of info about TPMS sensors. Check with him and tell him Eric with the TL said to take care of you.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Advanced

Just curious, but has anyone ever thought about trying to fool the sensors. I was just thinking about my wheel situation lately and there has to be some sort of way around the sensors. Like fooling them into thinking they are in the tire and at 32 psi. I was thinking about what might happen if you put them all into the spare tire or something along those lines. Now these are just thoughts and I don't know exactly how the sensors work if they have to be close to each wheel well or what. But there has to be some way to fool them or disengage them without taking everything apart and messing up something.

If anyone has any input or thoughts or wants to correct me and say its not possible please do. I'm just trying to think of some ways around putting bands on the wheels and getting the annoying warning up everytime.

I also heard from the guy I ordered the wheels from that the wheels could be drilled and the tpms could be installed that way...... any thoughts on that would also be helpfull.

thanks
Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 PM
tehLEGOman

Just curious, but has anyone ever thought about trying to fool the sensors. I was just thinking about my wheel situation lately and there has to be some sort of way around the sensors. Like fooling them into thinking they are in the tire and at 32 psi. I was thinking about what might happen if you put them all into the spare tire or something along those lines. Now these are just thoughts and I don't know exactly how the sensors work if they have to be close to each wheel well or what. But there has to be some way to fool them or disengage them without taking everything apart and messing up something.

If anyone has any input or thoughts or wants to correct me and say its not possible please do. I'm just trying to think of some ways around putting bands on the wheels and getting the annoying warning up everytime.

I also heard from the guy I ordered the wheels from that the wheels could be drilled and the tpms could be installed that way...... any thoughts on that would also be helpfull.

thanks
I talked to Nam on instant messenger earlier today and he said they only mount tires on baller rims so try and give him a call.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:05 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Well,
a though on that note might be to disconnect the TPMS control module "brain". There are 4 sensor in the fenderwells that the wheel mounted sensors talk to... which is centrally controlled by the communication interface. I have no idea what disconnecting the system will do though, you may end up with the idiot light in the end doing that too.

Putting them all in the spare is a no go. The centrifical force of rotation "activates" them, otherwise they go into sleep mode to conserve power. They'll just go to sleep without them rolling.

I wish I understood you guys being so resistant to the bands... You guys are willing to completely sacrifice a valuable safety system, or even worse, drilling a hole in your $3K rims, to avoid putting a metal band around your rims.
- It's completely reversible, "no drilling"
- It's proven safe
- IT WORKS...

Other than the 3 oz's of weight they add, I fail to see why it's a bad idea.

thanks
Old 06-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Safety Car

thanks
May I ask where you ordered them. I was told the same thing about drilling a hole on the back side of the rim 180 degrees from the main/front air valve. The place I was going to get GT-C's said they do it all the time. And HE DIDN'T like the straps. He is an authorized Volk dealer and high end dealer that sells to many big shots, so I think since he owns a very good business he knows what he's talking about. Just curious where you are talking about. I PERSONALLY DON'T like straps inside the wheel with a screw and a little mount not designed properly for a TPMS sensor. A very crappy design IMO.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:38 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

JD, not to belabor this point with you, because our opinions clearly differ...

But the strap system I'm using is sold by discount tire direct, one of the largest online wheel and tire dealers out there, as well as one of largest brick and mortar wheel and tire shops in in the mid-west... They too are a Ray's dealer (as well as other high end rims), and I'm pretty sure they would not sell AND install a solution that was unsafe and crappy. I just wanted to counterpoint an entire FRANCHISE's confidence in this solution against your "guy at this shop I went to says they suck..."

You define the solution as crappy, i define it as creative.
No way are you drilling my rims. What limited warranty you have is surely gone then. Just another thing to go wrong... Good luck selling them later too (if the buyer doesn't want/need TPMS.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't own volks, but growing up an a farm and knowing how strong similar types of banding is and what it can stand up to, I think that the banding would work fine. Think about it, you are taking a 3 oz object and applying rotational force. If I was an engineer that would be an easy calculation to determine the amount of strain applied. That result can then be compared to the strength of the banding.

Worst case what happens? The band brakes, the inside gets scratched up, and the TPMS may get broken. All of this will make some noise which you will hear and know what happened and can easily be fixed (more so than a drilled hole).

Drill a hole in it and what happens when the technology for TPMS changes and a hole is no longer required or as Kennedy said the prospective buyer has no need for TMPS?

Just my
Old 06-06-2007, 11:00 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

As another aside,
This how most aftermarket TPMS system mount, and tirerack sells these system:
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/.../smartire2.jsp

secondly, this is how Fords OEM unit's mount:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=152
See "Ford balanced sensors"
Old 06-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Safety Car

Now those look like they are a decent design. The ones I saw at Discount in person looked like shit. And you say "Balanced sensors" Why do so many big tire/wheel shops I go to tell me stories about how they don't like them. I just don't take 1 opinion. I went all over the place. And called many places. I don't trust many people. I have been around long enough and know ALL kinds of people. I don't take a few opinions and go from there. Massive research is required for me to buy something so different. These look much better then anything I have seen yet. TOO bad people that sell high end wheels don't know all the options. SO DUMB people like me can make an easy choice without having your arms pulled from all directions. I am 1 out of many that don't like them. Why don't these expensive high end wheels offer a welded mount inside the wheel? I think a MUCH better system can be made. This is so crude in todays modern technology.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:15 AM
Advanced

May I ask where you ordered them. I was told the same thing about drilling a hole on the back side of the rim 180 degrees from the main/front air valve. The place I was going to get GT-C's said they do it all the time. And HE DIDN'T like the straps. He is an authorized Volk dealer and high end dealer that sells to many big shots, so I think since he owns a very good business he knows what he's talking about. Just curious where you are talking about. I PERSONALLY DON'T like straps inside the wheel with a screw and a little mount not designed properly for a TPMS sensor. A very crappy design IMO.

I ordered them from wheels direct online but I have had quite a bit of trouble with them so I don't know if I trully trust them or not and the other thing is that I don't know if I could find anyone around here that I would really trust to do that on such and expensive wheel. And I personally don't like the idea of straps either
Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Look what showed up today:

TE37s and GT-7s for sale in the black market, I won;t need anything else... holy shit these are hott.

Gotta order tires.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kennedy, it looks AWESOME! Damn, everyone's sporting GT-S now. Good for me, I still have yet to see a 3G TL with GT-V....

Quick Reply: Official RAYS ENGINEERING/VOLK RACING wheel thread.