Official RAYS ENGINEERING/VOLK RACING wheel thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Well I will make everyone happy with FINALLY having wheels on order. After almost getting the Volk GT-S 19". Then waiting 2 days for RevSpec to get another diff definate answer on the Work Varianza 19" from Japan. I went to a few more places around me talking all about wheels, tires, weight, sizes, TPMS,straps, ect. I finally ordered a complete set-up from TireRack. 18" Volk RE 30 in Titanium bright silver with Potenza RE 050A Pole position 245/40/18" All mounted, balanced, lugs, lock lugs, ring adapters. They will be at my house on Monday 5-21-07 OH YAH!!!!! 16.5# per wheel. Offset +44 OH YAH!!!! Perfect fit!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ahhhh, i was hoping you would get the Work Varianza's lol
Old 05-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JJaber06
Ahhhh, i was hoping you would get the Work Varianza's lol
For fancy looks, they are great! But at 11.5# more per wheel, they are way too heavy. When I was at the Acura dealer today getting my passenger side of my car re-buffed, there was a Red Ferrari in the body shop. Nothing wrong, it was the owners car. It had 18" special Ed I believe RE 28's black with red strip on them. It was a sign to me. Ever since I picked up in person, the 19" bronze RE 28 in Wisc. I loved the quality of the Volk 1 piece Forged wheels. Weight was a big reason, also TPMS and everything is 100% done from tirerack and will be on my doorstep monday when I am off work. They are sweet. TOP QUALITY and LIGHT!
Old 05-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I never thought Work would make wheels that heavy....but they look so niceeeee
Old 05-17-2007, 06:51 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I hope your happy with them...
They're a great looking wheel. My if you care anymore...

1) They'll fit your TPMS sensors, but you didn't buy extra, there is no aftermarket TPMS, and tirerack won't install the OEMS. This means, when you grow tired of the nag light you gotta pay to break em down and have the sensors installed, then rebalanced. I never buy "assembled" for that reason.

2) $709/per for 18s... ouch. Supposedly lighter and stronger than anything else Ray's makes. The price reflects...

3) No shiny lip... No big deal if that's not your thing, but all the other wheels you wanted had dish.

4) Part of the exclusivity of Rays/Volks is the difficulty in getting them. If tirerack is pushing these out the door, they won't be as unique as something you had to lust over for 90 days.

Good news is... if you outgrow em, someone in the Black Market will like them for a deep a discount. That's where I've bought all my Volks (except for the GT-Ss).
Old 05-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Safety Car

Yes all OPINIONS matter. The TPMS sensors are being installed at Tirerack. The price is a little steep, but the best shops around me want $40 per wheel for quality mount/balance. I don't have to order all kinds of stuff and drive 100 miles with tires, wheels, ect in my car. That alone to me is worth $200. I love a shiney lip, but they are like a satin bright silver is my main concern. Hell I loved my 06 TL wheels better then the Chrome 05 TL wheels I had. The silver contrast to the black gelled tires and my silver car will look great. And unsprung weight will be no problem with the heavy wheels I was considering. As far as being unique, I have never seen a ste of Volks until today on the Ferrari at the Acura dealer. They WILL be VERY unique where I LIVE! Everywhere I go all I see is UGLY HUGE CHROME WHEELS. Proper fit, great looking, LIGHT, and no harsh ride from 19" wheels. Which I do love the look of. BUT I have to consider the shitty roads around the Chicago area. I like to drive my car also. NOT just take pictures of it. I just wanted to get rid of those grey dirty looking flat stock wheels. You should of been a Lawyer.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kennedy, I believe Tirerack requires OEM TPMS sensors and valves for $228 total in the purchase.

This is what I got on the website:
Your system includes:

TPMS SENSOR
$192.00 for a quantity of 4

TPMS VALVE
$36.00 for a quantity of 4

Total Price: $228.00

I also agree that $709 plus shipping for 18" is indeed steep. I also agree that the difficulty of getting the rims and the waiting time are part of the unique experiences of buying (new) Volk Racing wheels.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:15 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Sounds to me like you made the right decision...

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
You should of been a Lawyer.
I'm not dead yet, thinking about that actually. Going to Law school is not an option with 2 kinds under 3. Perhaps in a few years.

Too bad we destroyed the Volk thread with our banter. Perhaps I'll go through an recreate another, pulling over all the old pics.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Safety Car

YAH, I just thought you should of said, FINALLY, Very Nice. Instead of all the pessimistic comments you made. Negative. OH WELL I won't spoil this thread any further except answering opinions and anything I can HELP with in a POSITIVE WAY. Maybe you should move ALL the good stuff and pics since you know how to do everything. Take it easy, and Thankyou for your PAST HELP. Jeff D.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Finally
Old 05-19-2007, 04:29 AM
8AT > 6MT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I will make everyone happy with FINALLY having wheels on order. After almost getting the Volk GT-S 19". Then waiting 2 days for RevSpec to get another diff definate answer on the Work Varianza 19" from Japan. I went to a few more places around me talking all about wheels, tires, weight, sizes, TPMS,straps, ect. I finally ordered a complete set-up from TireRack. 18" Volk RE 30 in Titanium bright silver with Potenza RE 050A Pole position 245/40/18" All mounted, balanced, lugs, lock lugs, ring adapters. They will be at my house on Monday 5-21-07 OH YAH!!!!! 16.5# per wheel. Offset +44 OH YAH!!!! Perfect fit!!!!!!!
RE30s? on a TL? this i have to see........ you posted later that 19s give a harsh ride...i have 19s on 245/35/19 and i drive around LA...no problems here...i'm lowered on Tein SS as well.

my volks have been confirmed that they were on this container with mackin...i get the monday...should have them on the car by wed...i can't wait
Old 05-19-2007, 04:52 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Revolution SignWorks
RE30s? on a TL? this i have to see........ you posted later that 19s give a harsh ride...i have 19s on 245/35/19 and i drive around LA...no problems here...i'm lowered on Tein SS as well.

my volks have been confirmed that they were on this container with mackin...i get the monday...should have them on the car by wed...i can't wait
I don't want to argue, but SO many negative comments on a great wheel SHIT, I talked to MANY people around here that sell 17,18,19,20, up to 24" wheels, they ALL said the same thing about people having SO MANY problems AROUND Gurnee/Waukegan (where I live) with anything over 18" on a low profile tire on a car. I listened closely and talked to most of them for 30+ minutes about all aspects. I think 18's was a very wise choice for ride, and avoiding many problems I could have. LA streets don't even come close to Chicagoland HOLES in some streets. NO comparison.

What Volks are you getting? May I make some pessimistic comments? Or just say"OH GREAT, GOOD FOR YOU" Have a nice day
Old 05-19-2007, 10:22 AM
8AT > 6MT

I don't want to argue, but SO many negative comments on a great wheel SHIT, I talked to MANY people around here that sell 17,18,19,20, up to 24" wheels, they ALL said the same thing about people having SO MANY problems AROUND Gurnee/Waukegan (where I live) with anything over 18" on a low profile tire on a car. I listened closely and talked to most of them for 30+ minutes about all aspects. I think 18's was a very wise choice for ride, and avoiding many problems I could have. LA streets don't even come close to Chicagoland HOLES in some streets. NO comparison.

What Volks are you getting? May I make some pessimistic comments? Or just say"OH GREAT, GOOD FOR YOU" Have a nice day
don't get so butt hurt....i'm just saying what my experiences are. after all, this is a discussion board. 18s will definitely give you a smoother ride...and even smoother if you're still on a factory suspension whether it be stock or a-spec....all your research you've done is true and i applaud you for researching unlike some people who run around this forum asking...what pressure should i inflate my tires to?

you can make whatever comments you want because i buy for my car what i like and could give a hoot what you think....and you should feel the same way about 99% of what is said on this forum...
Old 05-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Recently turned 18

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
don't get so butt hurt.... give a hoot
don't pollute!!

More pics, less bickering! I need my Volk wheel fix dammit! And you clown-pieces are jacking that up with your anti-picture garble.

Wheels. Must...see...wheels.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:15 PM
8AT > 6MT

okay...no more from me...i'm done.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:10 AM
Safety Car

I have a question please. After doing a big search b4 asking, I can't figure out the color of the wheels I purchased at TireRack. Volk RE 30 standard colors are said to be: Bronze and Mercury silver. At TireRack the 2 colors they have are: Titanium Gunmetal and Bright silver paint? If you go to TireRack and put wheels for 07 TL-S they are on page 2. The bright silver paint looks like it is pretty glossy. I found another Great website with many full color pictures of the wheel in several colors, like 6-8 colors. Is the color at TireRack (bright silver paint) Mercury silver or Titanium silver which is a flatter lighter silver paint, kind of satin I have read. What I don't understand also is most of other Volk wheels have an extra charge for Mercury silver. I just want to know what you people think the bright silver paint at TireRack is? Thats not an actual Volk color description. Another Volk website I found also said bronze and mercury silver were also standard colors. But in their list of optional colors for $30 extra per wheel, ALL colors were on the list? Please tell me your opinion as to WHAT color the Bright silver paint is? THANKYOU. I know this isn't a picture, but I didn't want to start another thread about this simple question. Just asking a question I am VERY curious about. Thanks again, Jeff.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Safety Car

OH WELL, I guess knowbody knows, Thanks anyway
Old 05-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, if you gave people here a little more time to answer you.... It was Sunday and people were probably having a BBQ or playing with their kids or other activities not involving computers.

I think you should ask Tirerack instead of us. They should know best about the products they are selling. They probably have the actual untouched photos of the rims.

According to Rays's official website (rayswheels.co.jp), RE30's standard colors are bronze and Chrome Silver, not Mercury Silver. The Mercury Silver is the optional, for additional 3000 yen.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Safety Car

WOW. TireRack is closed on the weekend. Thought all you veterans would know. SORRY I asked. They are on and are Mercury Silver. There was a 14 hour and 2 minute gap between my posts. NOT like 30 minutes. Good Day.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Recently turned 18

This is the part where you post multi-angle pictures and give testimony on how much you like them.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:29 PM
8AT > 6MT

i saw my volks today when i came by to pay for them...all i have to say is omg....besides how nice i think the wheel looks...the quality and craftsmanship is amazing...hopefully the tires will go on them tomorrow and i'll have closeup shots of the backside (to see how nicely the 2piece design was made) and then pics of them on my car....but until then...time to go wash the car!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:54 PM
Recently turned 18

Yeah, get to it! Wash that thang! Post 'em when ya got 'em!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Congrats! Did you get them from JLB Motorsports, too?

i saw my volks today when i came by to pay for them...all i have to say is omg....besides how nice i think the wheel looks...the quality and craftsmanship is amazing...hopefully the tires will go on them tomorrow and i'll have closeup shots of the backside (to see how nicely the 2piece design was made) and then pics of them on my car....but until then...time to go wash the car!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:22 PM
8AT > 6MT

Originally Posted by 260 HP
Congrats! Did you get them from JLB Motorsports, too?
nah i didn't, i got a killer deal on them somewhere else i can't wait, i saw it today, and it was like seeing the gates of heaven....the light was shining down on the rims and everything...
Old 05-21-2007, 10:40 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
...i know the feeling of opening a RAYS Engineering box. It's something special when you take the black fabric rim protector off the wheel are you're staring at the work of art. I used to work at GMP Performance as a shipper/receiver so from time to time i would get to check out a set of Volk Racing rims. They truly are amazing crafted.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 164 Posts
hey guys. i got 1 question. i've searched but couldn't find any info.

i have plan to clean my volk 2 piece wheels. i have to take a part. (face and rim)
when i reassemble them i have to tight those bolt and nuts. this is the problem.
i have no idea how much torque i have to put. does anybody know torque spec?
thanks.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:31 PM
8AT > 6MT

Originally Posted by anthracitecl
hey guys. i got 1 question. i've searched but couldn't find any info.

i have plan to clean my volk 2 piece wheels. i have to take a part. (face and rim)
when i reassemble them i have to tight those bolt and nuts. this is the problem.
i have no idea how much torque i have to put. does anybody know torque spec?
thanks.
lol.......if you have to take your wheels apart to clean it, they must be damn dirty! i wouldn't take them apart if i were you....i doubt anyone but japan knows what the torque specs are on those nuts.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:42 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I bought a set of GT-7s that had the lip trashed by harsh chemicals... It looked awful.

I called Mackin and asked about disassembly as intended to have the outer barrel refinished. They didn't have to torque specs for me, but they did say this was a pretty common thing, and they know quite a few wheel shops that did it all the time.

Mackins 2 cents of advice were:

1) Those bolts are small, don't overtorque them. Upon reassebly of one of the finished wheels, the -Kennedy- torque spec was "as tight as I can get it with a 1/4in socket".

2) Use a proper star pattern as your tightening sequence

3) Use loctite to be safe.

1 note of advice. If your lip is discolored/trashed... this is a chore. Polish won't fix it as the lip is annodized. You have to start with 800 grit and work your way up to 1500 grit wet sand and then polish... all by hand.

When it's done, it'll be raw aluminum, so you'll have to stay after it with a polish too, but it will never discolor from chemicals again.
I found a guy to do it for me, but it's taking forever. I'll do it myself next time.

Here's one ready to roll... BETTER than new as th elip is now able to be polished again and again:

Old 05-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Recently turned 18

Question...what are your options on changing the rim color if you don't like/get tired of it? An example, going from Gold to Gunmetal or Gunmetal to Silver? Is this even an option? And if so, are there any negatives?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:41 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Blitz
Question...what are your options on changing the rim color if you don't like/get tired of it? An example, going from Gold to Gunmetal or Gunmetal to Silver? Is this even an option? And if so, are there any negatives?
On the 2 piece wheels it's as simple as disassemble the wheel and have the cast center section treated as you see fit (chromed/powdercoated/painted/etc.)
Old 05-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Recently turned 18

Hotness! You could "freshen up" the look if you ever felt inclined. Wasn't sure if for wheels like these they'd be negatively affected by the affects of painting or p-coating. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 164 Posts
thanks kennedy.

my lip is kinda dull too. is it hard to refinish'em by DIY?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:49 PM
8AT > 6MT

Originally Posted by Kennedy
On the 2 piece wheels it's as simple as disassemble the wheel and have the cast center section treated as you see fit (chromed/powdercoated/painted/etc.)
but it wont be OG volk anymore
Old 05-23-2007, 09:46 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

but it wont be OG volk anymore
Bah...
Nothing OG volk about these, but it's hot as hell:

It's not like Volk don't do "custom colors" anyway... You can order TE37 in any color you want for $30 more per wheel.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:54 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Wednesday is almost over!! I shall awake in the morning to see your GT-S's mounted. (if i'm lucky) hhaha just buggin you.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Recently turned 18

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Wednesday is almost over!! I shall awake in the morning to see your GT-S's mounted. (if i'm lucky) hhaha just buggin you.
Yeah, I was quietly and patiently waiting for some GT-S Pic action myself. Guess I'll have to go to sleep without my wheel porn tonight. Dammit.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:23 PM
8AT > 6MT

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Toyo T1R is back ordered until sometime in june and possibly july...there are two shipments coming in. So i had to go with Nitto NT555 instead...i went with 235/35/19 this time instead of the 245s so i can go lower. The tire issue has set me back a couple days.

I'm out of town for work on thurs and fri so i can't get the wheels. saturday they're usually open but this weekend the owners are going out to track their EVOs so no one will be there. Hopefully my friend can pick up the wheels for me if they're ready...but as of right now, it looks like it's gonna be a tuesday thing since they're closed on memorial day =( fricken sucks...gotta wait another week.... but i guess the worst part is if they were still in a container somewhere. at least i know they're here, all nice and cozy behind the black fabric rim protector in their happy boxes. =)

If i was a Rays box, i'd be happy.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:24 AM
I'M DONE HERE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Toyo T1R is back ordered until sometime in june and possibly july...there are two shipments coming in. So i had to go with Nitto NT555 instead...i went with 235/35/19 this time instead of the 245s so i can go lower. The tire issue has set me back a couple days.

I'm out of town for work on thurs and fri so i can't get the wheels. saturday they're usually open but this weekend the owners are going out to track their EVOs so no one will be there. Hopefully my friend can pick up the wheels for me if they're ready...but as of right now, it looks like it's gonna be a tuesday thing since they're closed on memorial day =( fricken sucks...gotta wait another week.... but i guess the worst part is if they were still in a container somewhere. at least i know they're here, all nice and cozy behind the black fabric rim protector in their happy boxes. =)

If i was a Rays box, i'd be happy.

I have the nitto nt555 and they are ok but you can't beat the price on the nitto's. I used to have pirelli p7000 on my racing harts and imo I thought they handle better but they don't make them anymore. I can't wait to see what your wheels look like. are you going to tuck them?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Over Yonder

OK guys, it's time to get back to pics...

I originally posted my '05 RRP back on page 4 (I can't believe this thread is still going). Last Friday I jacked the tires up and put a new TL-S on top of them.

Volk CE28n bronze 19" x 8" 42mm offset. Toyo Proxes T1R - 245/35-19

Needed 3 mil spacers to clear the Brembos. The TPMS valves mounted right in the original valve stem hole, no straps needed.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:47 PM
I'M DONE HERE

[QUOTE=Sailor]OK guys, it's time to get back to pics...

I originally posted my '05 RRP back on page 4 (I can't believe this thread is still going). Last Friday I jacked the tires up and put a new TL-S on top of them.

Volk CE28n bronze 19" x 8" 42mm offset. Toyo Proxes T1R - 245/35-19

Needed 3 mil spacers to clear the Brembos. The TPMS valves mounted right in the original valve stem hole, no straps needed.

looks good...are you goin to drop it?

Quick Reply: Official RAYS ENGINEERING/VOLK RACING wheel thread.