2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:32 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by virafp
If someone knows how to do this, can we start a list of 2007 TL-S owners who have the rear suspension problem, along with a case number if you have contacted Acura Client Services.

Name Location Case Number
Viraf Pudumjee Los Angeles B012007-05-0200362

Thanks for your help.

Viraf

I am scheduled for strut replacement # 2 with 450 miles on my TLS. I agree with this strategy. We have a louder voice and more strength in numbers. Anyone who wants this problem fixed sooner rather than later, or wants some additional leverage with Acura needs to call them at 800-382- 2238 and get a case number. You don't have to let them rip your car apart to call and "get on the record" I will gladly compile a list if all of you will email me your case numbers and contact info. Anyone who sends me info will get a copy of the list as it grows. I will only share this information with Acura and the aforementioned senders. Send your info to tlsfix@comcast.net

Here is my info:
Dave Garner tlsfix@comcast.net (Parkville, MD case# B012007-05-0300181 Problem: "Abnormal thumping sound over certain types of bumps coming from the rear suspension, possibly the front suspension also but less pronounced)
Old 05-11-2007, 06:59 AM
from PR to the world

Talking This really works?

As I told you I have a friend that works at an Acura Service Center. Here's the official bulletin from Acura to Fix the problem. This is a PDF file, I just copy and paste.

Tech Line Summary Article
A faulty rear damper can cause a muffled, knocking noise when driving. To silence this noise; replace the
affected rear damper.
BTS070204
Knock Noise From Rear Suspension
Applies To: 2007 TL Type S

I also have the actual images to fix but I can't post them since my ftp isn't working.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Banned

Took me a few mins but I found...

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/TS/BTS070204.pdf
Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 AM
2007 TL Type-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StreetLegal 2.2
As I told you I have a friend that works at an Acura Service Center. Here's the official bulletin from Acura to Fix the problem. This is a PDF file, I just copy and paste.

Tech Line Summary Article
A faulty rear damper can cause a muffled, knocking noise when driving. To silence this noise; replace the
affected rear damper.
BTS070204
Knock Noise From Rear Suspension
Applies To: 2007 TL Type S

I also have the actual images to fix but I can't post them since my ftp isn't working.
Been there done that. Still knocks.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:58 AM
2007 TL Type-S

Just got off the phone with client services. Told them to update my case file to show that after this latest strut replacement i still have the noise. I told them i'm happy with the dealer support so far but now we need Acura to step up. They said someone would call me back next week. I told them i would like an ETA on a fix or give me some different suspension options. I'm fairly patient but don't want to wait 6 months for this problem to be resolved.
Will keep everyone posted.

Has anyone noticed a similar sound up front? I seem to hear it occasionally. Nothing like the rear though.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Instructor

I also have an 07 TL S and I hear the noisy suspension. I'm going to call and get a case number now.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Instructor

My case number is B012007-05-1100675. I was told that the engineering department was aware of and working on this issue. I was also told that there is a TLSB that may or may not fix the proble. I have not contacted my "local" dealer yet.
Location WA.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:19 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by donc
My case number is B012007-05-1100675. I was told that the engineering department was aware of and working on this issue. I was also told that there is a TLSB that may or may not fix the proble. I have not contacted my "local" dealer yet.
Location WA.
Who is your local dealer? I almost bought my car from Acura of Bellevue but i got my local dealer Valley Acura Spokane to get close enough to the lease deal that Bellevue had. So far my dealer has been very responsive.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:25 PM
2007 TL-S & CBR600RR

It appears that, for the most part, the dealers are extremely responsive....Acura is the problem. As george noted, replacing the dampers DOES NOT fix the problem. I was told this via my dealer indirectly from an Acura Regional Manager.

The problem falls directly in Acura Corporates hands...not the dealers. Until Acura assumes responsibility and comes up with a cure (not a fix), the damper replacement can be done 15 times to no avail.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Instructor

I bought my TL S from Hinshaw Acura in Fife. Good so far; although at the first A1 maintenance they rotated the tires and left 34 psi in the back tires - at least I knew that they had be rotated. They then evened all 4 tires at 32 psi and said "that's what we always set TL's tire pressure to...
Old 05-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
Now that I read this yesterday, when I went on my 170 mile rode trip today I do hear something, not a rattle, but a hard thumping noise, but not a rattle. Not real noisy, but I hear something. I thought it was due to a stiffer coilover. So its the shock?
Old 05-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
Now that I read this yesterday, when I went on my 170 mile rode trip today I do hear something, not a rattle, but a hard thumping noise, but not a rattle. Not real noisy, but I hear something. I thought it was due to a stiffer coilover. So its the shock?
who is your dealer?
are you gonna take the car for inspection?
I.`m asking couse i live in chicago area...
Old 05-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by undertaker
who is your dealer?
are you gonna take the car for inspection?
I.`m asking couse i live in chicago area...
I bought it in Hoffman Estates/Woodfield Mullers. But you can take to any Acura dealer as long as its under factory warranty. I live Much closer to Libertyville, so I go there for whatever I need. I don't know if I will take it in. Its not as bad as others are saying. Plus they don't have a fix yet. I am going to install Eibach Pro springs first. If I want it firmer then I will get New Koni shocks. That will eliminate the problem.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Ok,so my car is still at the dealer.They remowed some springs from trunk door and we took a ride...noise is still there.....so this is not a couse of the problem like they said....too bad..
they gonna call me on monday....
so far i drive 2007 mdx loaner .
Old 05-12-2007, 10:34 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by george3761
Just got off the phone with client services. Told them to update my case file to show that after this latest strut replacement i still have the noise. I told them i'm happy with the dealer support so far but now we need Acura to step up. They said someone would call me back next week. I told them i would like an ETA on a fix or give me some different suspension options. I'm fairly patient but don't want to wait 6 months for this problem to be resolved.

Has anyone noticed a similar sound up front? I seem to hear it occasionally. Nothing like the rear though.

************Yes, I have noticed a similar sound coming from the front also and both front and back are getting louder. My TLS has 600 miles now.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Safety Car

I just said FCK IT and ordered Tein Basic coilovers, why wait for Acura to fix the problem. Plus every time you take it in for service, there is a chance they will scratch it or JOY ride it. I have heard many BAD stories about dealers. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Angry

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I just said FCK IT and ordered Tein Basic coilovers, why wait for Acura to fix the problem. Plus every time you take it in for service, there is a chance they will scratch it or JOY ride it. I have heard many BAD stories about dealers. Good luck!
Ok but why should we pay for this???????????????
We paid close to 40k for a car damn it!!!
I won`t pay a penny out of my pocket!!!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:22 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by dg in MD
************Yes, I have noticed a similar sound coming from the front also and both front and back are getting louder. My TLS has 600 miles now.

dg,

Let us know if this cures the problem. Would be interesting if it didn't. Has anyone done a Tein upgrade after having the noises from the factory setup?
Old 05-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Front

Yes, I am noticing a clunking sound from the right front when going over a sharp irregular surface, or a speed bump. I will report this as wel when the car goes in tomorrow.

Lets see what they do tomorrow, will keep you all posted.

Viraf
Old 05-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by undertaker
Ok but why should we pay for this???????????????
We paid close to 40k for a car damn it!!!
I won`t pay a penny out of my pocket!!!
I totally agree with you If I wasn't wanting to lower my car 1.3" I would want 100% satisfaction also. It better cure the problem
Old 05-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Car is in for rear end

Dropped the car off this morning for the rear end clunk. It seems that there is a service bulletin out now, and they will be replacing the entire rear strut assembly, including springs on both sides. The SA said that this is the fix.

I will say, inspite of my dissappointment with this issue, my dealer service advisor has been on top of it, going to different peoplke withing the organization, to get answers. The good news is that I know they are trying, and that helps.

Should have the car back by Wednesday, so will post at that time.

Viraf
Old 05-14-2007, 12:59 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Dropped the car off this morning for the rear end clunk. It seems that there is a service bulletin out now, and they will be replacing the entire rear strut assembly, including springs on both sides. The SA said that this is the fix.

I will say, inspite of my dissappointment with this issue, my dealer service advisor has been on top of it, going to different peoplke withing the organization, to get answers. The good news is that I know they are trying, and that helps.

Viraf
This is the same thing they did for me a week or so ago. Noise was back within a few days. This is not a fix.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:37 PM
2007 TL Type-S

This thread has been quite for a few days. I'll report my latest. Got a call back from Client Services. Fred tells me he will let the District Manager know about my case and also make a call to Acura's engineering department to see what he could find out.
I told him i also was concerned there might be a little of the same noise up front. So no fixes at this point and my service manager has retired from my dealership. I hope that doesn't through this process off course.

Breaking news...... Just got a call back from Fred at Client Services(that was fast). He talked to the engineering department and they are working on a TSB. He says they should have a corrective action within 45 days. They have to engineer the new parts, manufacture them and then test. After that the TSB is released.
It's a little longer than i hoped for but it looks like it's getting done. He says he will keep me in the loop on this as any updates come along and he also has notified my dealer of all this info.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

wow really positive news. hopefully its true.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hmm...well have to see if they can get it fixed before people keep bringing them back and end up lemon lawing the car!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Instructor

once there is a definite solution, i will bring it in to get checked. Im not crazy about them having to rip the seats out and put a new suspension, only to have it happen again. Seems everytime the dealer fixes one thing, another thing gets broken.

Lets hope this is accurate and they finally resolve this....could be worse and have to deal with tranny problems for the 02-03 models...that was fun
Old 05-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Masshole

I'm also going to wait until I hear about the service bulletin. I think I'm hearing/feeling some clunkiness in the front and rear suspension now, but I'm not sure if it's me being over-sensitive or not. I've always just thought that's how it is in the TL. It's certainly different then my TSX was.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Instructor

Update

The car is still with the dealer. They have replaced the rear springs, perches and struts with an "updated part" and after driving it, they said the noise was gone from the rear end.

They also noticed the clunk in the front, and have new struts on order for the front - also an updated part, per the SA.

I will say, they are trying. If the true fix is 45 days away, atleast this may solve the problem till the actual fix is out.

Should have the car back on Monday - 1 week at the dealer, but they gave me a 07 TL loaner.

Viraf

Viraf
Old 05-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Just got my car from dealer.
they put USED struts from the service manager demo tls.....to my car....
looks like the noise is gone in about 80 %....
much better but not perfect...still there is some of it...
I`m gonna call ACURA tommorow and see what they gonna do about it....
Old 05-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Instructor

The car is still with the dealer. They have replaced the rear springs, perches and struts with an "updated part" and after driving it, they said the noise was gone from the rear end.

They also noticed the clunk in the front, and have new struts on order for the front - also an updated part, per the SA.

I will say, they are trying. If the true fix is 45 days away, atleast this may solve the problem till the actual fix is out.

Should have the car back on Monday - 1 week at the dealer, but they gave me a 07 TL loaner.

Viraf
What do you mean by "updated part"?since there is no new part....nad what is SA?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Instructor

updated part

That is what the SA (service advisor) told me - I do not know if they are just new regular parts, but supposedly they have a different part number, and is being called an updated part. There is also a clunk up front, so they are replacing the fronts as well.

The car will be ready on Monday, but I am out of town and not back till 5/28, so will not have a chance to drive it.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:38 PM
2007 TL Type-S

That is what the SA (service advisor) told me - I do not know if they are just new regular parts, but supposedly they have a different part number, and is being called an updated part. There is also a clunk up front, so they are replacing the fronts as well.

The car will be ready on Monday, but I am out of town and not back till 5/28, so will not have a chance to drive it.
That "updated" part is what they put on my car a few weeks back. It is not a fix. Read post # 46. Acura is working on a permanent solution that will be available thru a TSB.
Hope it works for you. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:36 AM
'07 TL Type-S 5A/T

I'm having the clunking problem as well...I noticed that the front left (and possibly right) gives out easily when going over a speed bump as if the weight of the car's too much. It's the same clunking noise I get from my 02' Nissan Xterra...but that's after 5 years of use!! I just got my darn TL-S 20 days ago...barely hitting 580 miles... Anyway, I'm taking it in this coming Tuesday for rear deck rattles...so I guess I'll throw in the clunking noise as well. I'll definitely post an update after I get my car back...i'm just hoping for a nice loaner to redline around town! =P
Old 05-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Instructor

you are correct

That "updated" part is what they put on my car a few weeks back. It is not a fix. Read post # 46. Acura is working on a permanent solution that will be available thru a TSB.
Hope it works for you. Good luck.
I think you are right - the TSB is not out yet, and this appears to be a temporary fix, if at all. Either way, this is the second time in for the problem...third times a charm! I will wait for the TSB if this is not a fix.

So far, in 30 days of ownership, the caqr has been at the dealer 10 days for repairs...Acura, are you listening?

Viraf
Old 05-18-2007, 12:28 PM
'07 TL Type-S 5A/T

Do you have mileage restrictions on loaners? It'll be my first time dropping my car off the TL-S at an Acura dealership...I swear I better not have any damages when I get it back. I'm going to do a full inspection with the SA before I depart AND when picking up. I'm going to log my mileage reading too.

Does the lemond law apply to leased vehicles?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:13 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by dtech
Do you have mileage restrictions on loaners? It'll be my first time dropping my car off the TL-S at an Acura dealership...I swear I better not have any damages when I get it back. I'm going to do a full inspection with the SA before I depart AND when picking up. I'm going to log my mileage reading too.

Does the lemond law apply to leased vehicles?
It should but might vary between states. The tricky thing with the lemon law is that it helps if it's a major problem or safety issue.. Me and everyone else with this problem agree it's major but an arbitrator may not. Hopefully we'll never have to go there.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
I think I may be experiencing a similar suspension issue with my 07 AV6. Looks like I may need to bring the Accord in to the dealer for a look.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:48 PM
07 NBP TL Type-S

God im so paranoid by all this i dont know what to listen for. can someone describe the tone of the sound? What does it sound like when going over speed bumps? Is it a metallic sound or more like a hollow acoustic sound.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:02 AM
2007 TL-S &amp; CBR600RR

Originally Posted by Bullpup
God im so paranoid by all this i dont know what to listen for. can someone describe the tone of the sound? What does it sound like when going over speed bumps? Is it a metallic sound or more like a hollow acoustic sound.
Look at my post #211 on page 9.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Instructor

Exclamation

today Acura reg.case manager called me to set up appointment with my dealer for the fourth time...he said the Acura now has the new struts, they gonna put in my car,I asked if this is 100% new part and he comfirmed that so will see...I will keep you guys posted....

Quick Reply: 2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension