2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

i keep waiting and waiting... i'm tired. i'm seriously considering selling the car.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:36 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clttr2002
That's my point - Post # 427 references a different TSB then Post # 428. The first TSB is for the TL and the TL-S and calls out the A17 as the fix and was dated 6/15. The second TSB is just for the TL-S and calls out the A18 as the fix and was dated 7/20 - the second one being the newest....
As far as i can tell there was only one offically released TSB and that was on 7-20-07. The other one shows a # of 07-0xxx. That's not a complete #. That one looks suspicious. I don't think that made it out. At least not to my dealer. So i'll be getting the latest TSB done as soon as the parts arrive.
Crossing fingers!!
Old 07-22-2007, 12:03 AM
9th Gear

I’m going off on a bit of a rant here so I am warning everyone in advance.

miclado don't sell your car unless you are freaking loaded and don't care about losing money. If you are that loaded I have one word for you; LAWYER. Or, you can familiarize yourself with the lemon law in your state and follow the process. The clock is ticking and so is your odometer. Most states put time and mileage limits in their Lemon Laws and once you exceed these limits the rights afforded to you as a consumer go bye bye. Acura is banking on this so don’t let them stall you or frustrate you. Keep taking your car back for repair as many times as it takes and don’t let them eat up your time and mileage. Also, document everything including details of your conversations with the dealership and Acura. Who, What, Where, When and Why, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. At one point I had the service manager at my dealership flat out tell me he wasn’t even going to try to fix my problem because they didn’t have a permanent fix yet (He knew that I knew from reading this website and he couldn’t BS me) He asked me to “be patient” I was aware of my rights according to the lemon law and I let him know that they have to at least attempt to fix the problem according to the law, if not they don’t have a leg to stand on in court or any lemon law process. I’ve been dealing directly with the Acura Regional Customer Service Rep; John Geiger, at ever since. (This service manager completely changed his story when I picked up my car from that visit by saying “they couldn’t reproduce the sound” therefore they couldn’t attempt to fix it (Watch out for this tactic. One minute they are talking to you about the problem, the next minute they will deny it exists using phrases like “ normal characteristic” of the vehicle) I insisted that the service advisor accompany me on a test drive before I left the dealership that day and I could not get the car to make the sound so I ended up feeling like I was losing my mind until I read the notes on my invoice) The invoice stated that they “retorqued” my suspension bolts. Anyway, my problem mysteriously improved for about 2 days, then it got worse again. Not sure what they really did but whatever it was worked temporarily) Second, call your lawyer. If you don’t have a lawyer call any Lawyer. Most Lawyers will give you a ton of free advice over the phone just by explaining your situation to them. I've already consulted mine. I've had it with this vehicle and I'm tired of F**king around with these people. I’ve concluded that they will string me along as long as I let them. In my opinion you have to make it clear to them that you mean business and unfortunately, all to often it takes getting a lawyer involved to send that message. The last thing Acura wants is a bunch of people initiating lemon laws for a common problem. It gets real attention from the industry then and this is not good business.

The bottem line is FIX THE GD PROBLEM OR TAKE THE CAR BACK AND RETURN MY MONEY!

Wheww! Now I feel better.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Advanced

My car went into the dealer last week because of the clunking noise heard. They test drove it, and had the service manager drive it and no one heard any noise. I know its there, but they claim they didn't hear it. They went on to say the spare tire jack and lug wrench stuff in the trunk was loose, and that is what they think I was hearing. Well that didn't help. The night before I brought it in, I drove a friends 05 TL, around my neighborhood and the normal bumps I drive over. It was sooo much smoother and quieter. I understand the TL S has a stiffer suspension to begin with but that light clunking is driving me nuts!
Old 07-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Advanced

Update! I printed the TSB which came out the day AFTER my car was looked at and nothing found. I brought it to the deleal and told them, I believe this is what is clunking back there. They had me take a ride with a technician. It took a short ride for it to happen, but he did notice it. We reported back to the SA, who said he is ordering parts based one th TSB, and will notify when they come in. Done. And I thought I was going to get to argue with someone. Damn it.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My parts just came in today -A18s....now i have to get my springs so i can take them in and have them installed at same time!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Advanced

What Springs are you using? Are you having the Acura dealer install them?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Instructor

Replacing the TL parts with TLS parts

I just spoke with Client Services and they want me to replace the wrong parts with the correct parts for the TLS.

I drove the car about 400 miles on Saturday, and decided that the TL suspension is a bit too soft, and while cornering, I felt the rear to be a bit spongy.

They are saying that the A18 parts are the fix for the rear- however, they have to replace the front struts and springs as well, since they put TL parts on the car.

I would love to hear from those of you who are getting the TSB done, as to what your feeling is, and is it a fix. I will not be getting mine done till mid August, as I am away on vacation.

At that point, depending on what the reaction is here, is when i decide what to do next.

Thanks

Viraf
Old 07-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by virafp
I just spoke with Client Services and they want me to replace the wrong parts with the correct parts for the TLS.

I drove the car about 400 miles on Saturday, and decided that the TL suspension is a bit too soft, and while cornering, I felt the rear to be a bit spongy.

They are saying that the A18 parts are the fix for the rear- however, they have to replace the front struts and springs as well, since they put TL parts on the car.

I would love to hear from those of you who are getting the TSB done, as to what your feeling is, and is it a fix. I will not be getting mine done till mid August, as I am away on vacation.

At that point, depending on what the reaction is here, is when i decide what to do next.

Thanks

Viraf
As I reported earler I had all of the new parts installed on my 07 Type S. The suspension is still very noisy! I am not happy with the fix. Infact I think it's a waste of time.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scott P.
What Springs are you using? Are you having the Acura dealer install them?
Proabaly Teins, not sure if im gonna order H tech or S techs......Yes dealer is gonna do it since they will have the suspention already out..i only have to pay the labor on the front 2.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:34 PM
2007 TL-S & CBR600RR

Well....

It's been a little time since I checked on this issue last. Wow, a lot has happened. I reviewed the TSB 07-039, dated July 20, 2007 linked above and by RedHot (thanks man). It seems that my dealer DID ME RIGHT! I had those exact parts installed before the release actually was made official (check my scan on pg 15, I think)...kind of an advanced notification.

Now...

The car is loads better, but the noise is still there, albeit slightly. And it really needs to be a stout bump to force it into making a noise.

Good luck guys. I hope you get satisfaction. Currently, I have intentions on going back in for further evaluation on this issue. Now, about those damn nagging rattles...
Old 07-25-2007, 03:12 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Mine goes in Monday. We'll see what happens.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:07 PM
2007 TL-S &amp; CBR600RR

Originally Posted by <<se7en>>
...Currently, I have intentions on going back in for further evaluation on this issue. Now, about those damn nagging rattles...
Oops. I meant NO intentions...
Old 07-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Instructor

So ,is there any hope we get our cars fixed properly or what?
I`m not happy with my fix,and so far it seems there is no other option to fix that damn noise.....
Old 07-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Intermediate

First trip to the dealership (Leith Acura, Cary NC) yesterday to address the rear suspension. A senior service tech rode with me to 'listen' to the car... Sure enough he hears the 'clunking' and i'm not the first person to bring a Type S in for the problem. They have ordered the following parts.....

52610-SEP-A18 Damper Assy
90182-SDA-A00 Bolt, Flange (12x8
90300-S84-A00 Nut (10MM)
90002-S10-000 Nut, Flange (10MM)

For those of you who have had parts replaced.... are we on the right track?

THANKS!!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:13 AM
2007 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by undertaker
So ,is there any hope we get our cars fixed properly or what?
I`m not happy with my fix,and so far it seems there is no other option to fix that damn noise.....
Undertaker,
Did you get the same fix as se7en? The post has gotten so long that I've lost track of who's done what.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by george3761
Undertaker,
Did you get the same fix as se7en? The post has gotten so long that I've lost track of who's done what.
My says A17 but my case rep swears its the same part as A18 ,they just rename it after tsb....or something....
Old 07-30-2007, 10:29 AM
2007 TL Type-S

Well everyone today is the day of my "fix"(4th time in). We'll see what happens. I'll post this afternoon or this evening.
I have a nice little TSX as a loaner. Nice quite suspension.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:33 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Well it's done and i have to agree with se7en. It's much better but i "think" i still hear something on just the right kind of bump. I'll give it a week or so and see if it gets worse or stays the same. Not sure if I'll go back to Acura on this any more. I've got a 3 year lease and if nothing else it goes back and i pick up a AWD 2010 TL-S?
I had a TSX loaner with the exact same tires as my TL-S and the noise was very similar. So i figure Honda's just have noisy suspensions.
My TL-S handles like a Porsche and is a LOT less $$$$. If this noise turns out to be normal well I'll just live with it for a few more years.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:34 PM
2007 TL-S &amp; CBR600RR

My TL-S handles like a Porsche and is a LOT less $$$$. If this noise turns out to be normal well I'll just live with it for a few more years.
Well, maybe not like a Porsche...but damn close.

At any rate, I can live with it now that the fix has been applied.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:31 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by <<se7en>>
Well, maybe not like a Porsche...but damn close.

At any rate, I can live with it now that the fix has been applied.
Agree and agree.

Next car i by i'll run it around downtown Spokane, WA. A true test of any noisy suspension(cross streets with big ruts). The roads around the dealership are like glass.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

Noise in the rear

Hey guys i think you can add me to the list of TL's with a weird sound coming from the rear. From what I've read it is the Rear struts. I didnt pay too much attention to the noise i honestly thought it was supposed to sound like that because of tight suspension, guess i was wrong. I'm going to take it to ACURA first this tomorrow morning hopefully I get it fixed ASAP.

Sucks to know that so many people have the same problem, but its reassuring though. I had many technical problems with my G35 coupe, When i read this thread my first thought was ''o0o no not again''
Old 08-01-2007, 06:54 AM
from PR to the world

This is the official bulletin for July 20, 2007. I don't know if this works but still is official communication from Acura. I have the original PDF communication but I couldn't post it. If you want the PDF please send me an email.

Service Bulletin

CLIENT INFORMATION: The information in this bulletin is intended for use only by skilled technicians who have the proper tools, equipment, and
training to correctly and safely maintain your vehicle. These procedures should not be attempted by “do-it-yourselfers,” and you should not assume this
bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle has the condition described. To determine whether this information applies, contact an authorized
Acura automobile dealer.

July 20, 2007

Applies To: 2007 TL Type-S – From VIN 19UUA7...7A000001 thru 19UUA7...7A031980

2007 TL Type-S: Knock or Clunk From the Rear Suspension

SYMPTOM
There is a knock or clunk coming from the rear
suspension. The noise can sound like loose items in
the trunk or on the rear shelf.

PROBABLE CAUSE
One or both of the rear damper assemblies are faulty.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace one or both rear damper assemblies.

PARTS INFORMATION
Rear Damper Assembly: P/N 52610-SEP-A18
Flange Bolt: P/N 90182-SDA-A00
Nut (2 required per side): P/N 90300-S84-A00
Flange Nut: P/N 90002-S10-000

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
OP# Description FRT
417105 Replace left damper. 0.8 hours
417110 Replace right damper. 0.8 hours
417101 Replace both dampers. 1.2 hours

In warranty: The normal warranty applies.
Failed Part: P/N 52610-SEP-A17
Defect Code: 06201
Symptom Code: 04201

Skill Level: Repair Technician
Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty
expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by
the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone
Office. You must request consideration, and get a
decision, before starting work.

DIAGNOSIS
1. Test-drive the vehicle over rough roads while
varying the speed from 10 to 25 mph.
• If you hear the noise, go to step 2.
• If you don’t hear the noise, continue with normal
troubleshooting procedures.
2. Remove the rear seat-back:
• Refer to page 20-122 of the 2007 TL Service
Manual, or
• Online, enter keywords REAR SEAT, and select
Rear Seat Removal/Installation from the list.
3. Insert a shop towel into both pockets of the upper
shock mounts.
4. Test-drive the vehicle again over rough roads.
Remove a towel alternately from the left then the
right to isolate the noisy damper. Once the noisy
damper(s) is determined, go to REPAIR
PROCEDURE.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
Replace one or both rear damper assemblies as
needed:
• Refer to page 18-41 of the service manual, or
• Online, enter keyword DAMPER, and select Rear
Damper/Spring Removal and Installation from the
list.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Angry

I talked to the service manager at my Acura dealer today.
He is going to check if the fix a got last time (4th time and actually before official TSB}is the right one.I think its not since paperwork says they replaced ...SAP-A 17
not ...SAP-A18 .Not to mention bolts and nuts..are also not listed there...
they might make the difference since the Acura replace them too......
I will keep you posted,since somebody lies to me....Like I said earlier my case manager swears they are the right parts......
Old 08-03-2007, 04:27 AM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm thinking about purchasing this today, I will definantely check this out
Old 08-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Advanced

Hey folks. Well, I was on the phone with Acura Client Services today to discuss a battery issue....long story.... but I spoke to a senior manager after I didn't get my way. He was a big help with my issue and my issue is resolved. So....I asked him about the rear suspension issue since I had him on the line anyway. He told me he is aware of the issue. That the fix that is currently out there does not seem to work for everyone. Acura engineering is going to have a fix by October. The issue seems to be with cars in warmer climates. With the weather change there is some rubber in the damper that makes noise over bumps. Who knows... But I told him I would give him a call around the October timeframe to see if it is resolved. Just passing along the info....
Old 08-04-2007, 01:18 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
FWIW.

Here is the link to the PDF of the TSB for the Type S:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b07-039.pdf
Old 08-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Angry

Originally Posted by sudolg
Hey folks. Well, I was on the phone with Acura Client Services today to discuss a battery issue....long story.... but I spoke to a senior manager after I didn't get my way. He was a big help with my issue and my issue is resolved. So....I asked him about the rear suspension issue since I had him on the line anyway. He told me he is aware of the issue. That the fix that is currently out there does not seem to work for everyone. Acura engineering is going to have a fix by October. The issue seems to be with cars in warmer climates. With the weather change there is some rubber in the damper that makes noise over bumps. Who knows... But I told him I would give him a call around the October timeframe to see if it is resolved. Just passing along the info....
Hi there,
I got my car since march 2007 and I live in Chicago area.
I must tell you guys that I don`t see any difference if it`s cold or warm...
same noise,all the time,even after 4th fix......
Old 08-04-2007, 10:26 AM
2007 TL Type-S

Hi there,
I got my car since march 2007 and I live in Chicago area.
I must tell you guys that I don`t see any difference if it`s cold or warm...
same noise,all the time,even after 4th fix......
I agree. Cold or warm doesn't matter. I got my car in February 25 degrees and have it now 95 degrees and the sound doesn't change. The TSB helped but it is still not perfect.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

I agree. Cold or warm doesn't matter. I got my car in February 25 degrees and have it now 95 degrees and the sound doesn't change. The TSB helped but it is still not perfect.
George,

I've had my car in twice and have an appointment next week to install the A18 fix per the TSB. In your honest opinion, is it worth having them tear out the backseat again or should I just wait until the fix in October/November comes out?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Advanced

I agree guys about the weather factor. I didn't think about it until I got off the phone with him. He didn't seem like a BS'er and when I mentioned the issue, he came right out with knowing about it. Who knows. I'm going to keep in touch with him and we'll see what happens. By the way, my dealer knew absolutely nothing about it. Seems like an easy fix. Why is this taking Acura soooo long to figure out?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:51 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by clttr2002
George,

I've had my car in twice and have an appointment next week to install the A18 fix per the TSB. In your honest opinion, is it worth having them tear out the backseat again or should I just wait until the fix in October/November comes out?

Thanks
Well it's better but i think it'systill to noisy. I might expect this noise if the car was lowered and was running 19's but this is a factory setup. I would go ahead with the fix so at least you've done everthing you could. I'll call my Acura client guy on Monday to see what he says about another fix coming. I'm ready to demand TL struts all the way around. I'd rather have a little less handling for the quieter ride.
This morning i'm driving slow over a rough road and heard something rattling from the front suspension. I heard it outside. I had the window open. Can't hear it inside the car with the window up. Anybody else?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Well it's better but i think it'systill to noisy. I might expect this noise if the car was lowered and was running 19's but this is a factory setup. I would go ahead with the fix so at least you've done everthing you could. I'll call my Acura client guy on Monday to see what he says about another fix coming. I'm ready to demand TL struts all the way around. I'd rather have a little less handling for the quieter ride.
This morning i'm driving slow over a rough road and heard something rattling from the front suspension. I heard it outside. I had the window open. Can't hear it inside the car with the window up. Anybody else?
Can you actually demand reg. TL struts from Acura?
You think that they would agree on that?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:34 AM
2007 TL Type-S

Can you actually demand reg. TL struts from Acura?
You think that they would agree on that?
I'm going to ask. They may say no on a safety issue. But they need to do something.
With the windows down going slow over a rough road i hear rattling from the front.
I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:02 PM
2007 TL Type-S

I'm going to ask. They may say no on a safety issue. But they need to do something.
With the windows down going slow over a rough road i hear rattling from the front.
I'll keep you posted.
Just got off the phone with Acura Client Services. He is going to reach the regional rep for my area and set up a appointment so i can take him for a drive. Also i told them to make a note that i would consider TL struts. He'll look into it.
Also he was not aware of any further fixes but was going to look into it.
Oh. The saga continues.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Instructor

I mentioned it several pages ago - you can not hear it when the windows are up but when the windows are down you can. Mine is on the passenger front side.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:10 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by donc

I mentioned it several pages ago - you can not hear it when the windows are up but when the windows are down you can. Mine is on the passenger front side.
I heard mine from the drivers side. I go in for the first oil change soon so i'll have them look at it then.
Who's your dealer in the Seattle area? I'm in Spokane.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Instructor

I bought mine at Hinshaws in Fife but I'm not pleased with the quality and care of the work the service department provides. I'm going to use Acura of Seattle in Southcenter.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Intermediate

george -

i also hear the noise on the driver's side (not sure about passenger's side) ... its like a thud/slapping sound when going over bumps, doesn't really sound normal
Old 08-08-2007, 01:57 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by dansienk
george -

i also hear the noise on the driver's side (not sure about passenger's side) ... its like a thud/slapping sound when going over bumps, doesn't really sound normal
It will be curious to see where this noise is coming from. Maybe the rebound on the struts is just to hard. I also hear a rattle but only with the windows down. We'll see i guess.

Quick Reply: 2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension