2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:55 PM
07 NBP TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a free oil change out of the deal and learned that I don't want an RDX - it was a positive experience I guess.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:45 AM
10th Gear

Ref Waltercbx.. Thank you for the usefull resonse ref to dealer. Ref Harddivin1le, my vin fits in that sequence 7A019928, thank you for your usefull "positive" response. I'm gonna print up this threadand bring it withh me when I go to the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks again!!
Old 09-01-2007, 11:44 AM
3rd Gear

My Vin is above A043000. I guess their fix didn't take. I did drive the other two type s' on the lot, one with 3600 and the other with 300 miles. The one with 3600 was a bit tighter than mine, while the one with 300 was much better, but still rattled objectionably. It seems to affect them all to some extent, but also gets worse with mileage. Admittedly, the rear end on mine seems better than before, but I am concerned it may be an illusion caused by the degradation of the front.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:50 AM
6th Gear

Noisy rear suspension

Hi Mike,
I am having this problem with my 2007 TL, I've taken it to the dealer and they don't seem to hear it. I am going to take it to another dealer this week.

Tamtam
Old 09-03-2007, 10:06 AM
07 NBP TL-S

Originally Posted by tamtamwalker
Hi Mike,
I am having this problem with my 2007 TL, I've taken it to the dealer and they don't seem to hear it. I am going to take it to another dealer this week.

Tamtam
When I took mine to the dealership they didn't even take it on a test drive. I told them why I was there and gave them a printed out copy of the TSB. No questions asked.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Drifting

Type S cars use stiffer bushings, mounts, dampers and springs.

This will equate to more noise coming into the main structure - whether or not "the fix" is performed.

Some people have valid problems, as the TSB clearly proves.

I think others mat be unacquainted with the downsides of a performance oriented suspension. My TL-S has some suspension "noise," too, but it's quiet as a church compared to my '99 LS1 1LE (competition suspension package) Z28 Camaro. It's also quiet compared to my '06 Accord EX/V6/6 speed that I fitted with Tein SSs all around.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 PM
6th Gear

My car is not a S type it's a standard TL. What is a TSB?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by harddrivin1le

This will equate to more noise coming into the main structure - whether or not "the fix" is performed.

I think others mat be unacquainted with the downsides of a performance oriented suspension. My TL-S has some suspension "noise," too, but it's quiet as a church compared to my '99 LS1 1LE (competition suspension package) Z28 Camaro. It's also quiet compared to my '06 Accord EX/V6/6 speed that I fitted with Tein SSs all around.
I agree with you to a point. I think that most of us are hearing noise that is just the inherent design of the car. However, the cars you mention are not good comparisons in my opinion. A "so called" luxury car should be much quieter than the vehicles you list. (don't even mention a Camaro as I've had many over the years that sounded like they were going to fall apart every time you hit a bump) We should compare to Lexus or BMW which honestly I have not test driven so I can't comment on it. If this problem was related to a suspension component, it would have been an easy fix. I believe Acura is trying to "soften" the suspension a bit so it will be less noticable in both noise and performance. They will never be able to quiet this to respectable levels.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Please define "quality."

Like I said, the car was tight as drum after 6 years and 80K miles worth of driving in New England.

It got BETTER mileage than this TL while producing ~ 300 HP - at the wheels - right off the showroom floor. And it would run all day long on 91 octane gas without a single hint of "pinging" (see other posts regarding that problem).

That engine was quality in terms of DESIGN. It didn't have to rev like hell or run an 11:1 CR to do what it did. It simply made power - EVERYWHERE - while getting mileage that was fully on par with my '04 and '06 V6 Accords.

J.D. Power doesn't measure that type of quality.

Honda's closest competitor to that Camaro in '99 was the Prelude (base model). For the same money I would have gotten a little car with a tiny trunk and a 200 HP 4 banger that got WORSE fuel economy than the LS1 Camaro.

The suspension in my '06 Accord V6 coupe was nothing short of laughable - despite the fact that it used "racing inspired double wishbones. What good is "quality" or "racing inspired double wishbones" when you have to throw ~ $2,500 worth of aftermarket parts at a new car to make it handle ~ 75% as well as the solid rear axle car you just sold (Camaro)?

People love to throw around terms without considering the entire picture...

Let's back up a moment...
Old 09-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Instructor

How so these posts compare?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My TL-S suspension is obnoxiously loud ... every little bump radiates through the cabin ... I've had 'stiffer' suspensions in my CL-S that I drove for 4 years and it was no where near as loud as this thing is. Yes, my vehicle VIN falls within the TSB and the work has not been done yet. I'm trying to schedule the appt to get it done now. However, based on this post, I'm not holding out hope that there will be any improvement .. I think Acura has a more fundamental issue that was the TSB doesn't resolve .. and I certainly don't think the noise cancellation system in the audio system is up for the task presented.

I'll do the TSB and drive it for a 1000 miles around town and go from there. I suspect any calls to Acuras 800# (which by definition will be wasted calls) will be met with a simple marketing script.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 AM
07 NBP TL-S

Originally Posted by DivinDude
Yes, my vehicle VIN falls within the TSB and the work has not been done yet. I'm trying to schedule the appt to get it done now. However, based on this post, I'm not holding out hope that there will be any improvement .
DivinDude - I was apprehensive at first but after driving my "TSB'ed" car for a couple of weeks I'd say that it's greatly improved. It's not totally silent; but it's a type-S and like another member mentioned I expect a little noise. I'm happier with it now and I believe that you will be too.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Question for all you guys trying to solve this problem.

Has anyone just dumped the Acura Shocks and/or Springs and went with After Market Shocks/Springs or Coil-Overs? If so, is suspension noise now "normal"?

While you should not need to buy AM parts to fix an OEM design/part problem, from a trouble-shooting standpoint, I am curious if a total change makes things better.

If this were to work, what're the chances you could get partial reimbursement from Acura?
Old 09-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Instructor

So guys,any update on the problem?
Old 09-23-2007, 11:47 AM
07 NBP TL-S

Mine is a lot better than original. There is still a little suspension noise (as compared to a non- type s). My biggest problem now is the back seat rattle that developed after David McDavid Acura in Austin did the TSB work. I guess they took the seat out and didn't put it back in right.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just did the tsb and it's much better now.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:03 PM
2007 TL-S & CBR600RR

Originally Posted by jonathan.chance
My biggest problem now is the back seat rattle that developed after David McDavid Acura in Austin did the TSB work. I guess they took the seat out and didn't put it back in right.
+1

Same exact problem. The rear deck REALLY rattles now. Soft bumps, hard bumps...it doesn't matter, it rattles! Damn.

And yes. They do remove the rear seat. Fixed one problem to start another...
Old 10-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Instructor

So ,is it over?
No more ideas what do we do about the noise?
Anyone get a real fix yet?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:08 AM
from PR to the world

I went yesterday to the dealer for the 6000 maintenance and talked to the TSA about the noie again. She told me that I had to test the car with a technician so we did it and this time he told me that hë "heard"the noise ( last time he didn''t). He said that he checked and that there was a bulletin for this problem but that honestly he thought that the fix didn't solve anything. Anyways they didn't have the parts for the bulletin available , they were going to order them and then call me back. We'll see.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:09 AM
from PR to the world

I went yesterday to the dealer for the 6000 maintenance and talked to the TSA about the noise again. She told me that I had to test the car with a technician so we did it and this time he told me that hë "heard"the noise ( last time he didn't). He said that he checked and that there was a bulletin for this problem but that honestly he thought that the fix didn't solve anything. Anyways they didn't have the parts for the bulletin available , they were going to order them and then call me back. We'll see.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So my story continues. Last Thursday i got a call from the rep saying that, my car has the TSB parts if they make noise, I’m just going to have to live with the sound. I was heated and said this was not going to work and I asked her to have her supervisor call me, which he did. Kevin called me back and said he would see what he could do. about 2 hrs later my dealership called and said they spoke with the rep and they want to try another set of post TSB struts on my car, so I set up to drop the car off tomorrow 10/18. Today I get a call from the rep (Kevin) saying that he talked with engineering and they suggested that we try the base model TL struts as fix as they know they will not make noise and that by leaving the TLS springs in with the TL struts won’t cause a performance issues.

What do you guys think of this, they said i could go back the TL-S if I wasn’t happy but they won’t do the ASpec. Do you think i should do this or what? This will be my 3rd set. And what do you guys think the ride will be like with TL-S's stiffer springs and base TL struts?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:32 PM
2007 TL-S &amp; CBR600RR

Originally Posted by Ahmad310
What do you guys think of this, they said i could go back the TL-S if I wasn’t happy but they won’t do the ASpec. Do you think i should do this or what? This will be my 3rd set. And what do you guys think the ride will be like with TL-S's stiffer springs and base TL struts?

Nope. Not good enough. Luckily for me, the noise faded heavily after the TSB was performed and I rarely hear it now...or maybe I just got used to it. At any rate, keep on pushing for a solution until the Lemon Law takes effect, then unload the damn thing.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by <<se7en>>

Nope. Not good enough. Luckily for me, the noise faded heavily after the TSB was performed and I rarely hear it now...or maybe I just got used to it. At any rate, keep on pushing for a solution until the Lemon Law takes effect, then unload the damn thing.

in ohio i need 3 tries at fixing it before i can lemon law it, so this will be the 3rd so im gonna do it just to hit the magic number, but they are saying that the noise is not gone with the fix only reduced and that the noise is a charicteristic of the suspention. So with acura claiming that the noise isnt gonna go away how would that stand up in court for lemon law if they are saying its gonna have noise no matter what?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:20 PM
2007 TL-S &amp; CBR600RR

in ohio i need 3 tries at fixing it before i can lemon law it, so this will be the 3rd so im gonna do it just to hit the magic number, but they are saying that the noise is not gone with the fix only reduced and that the noise is a charicteristic of the suspention. So with acura claiming that the noise isnt gonna go away how would that stand up in court for lemon law if they are saying its gonna have noise no matter what?
If they have a TSB for it...then to me...that's an admission of guilt. Whether the TSB fixed the problem or not is not my concern...it's theirs!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:36 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Check the fine print of your lemon law. In a lot of states it major mechanical stuff or safety issues not noises.
Good luck.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

Just got the car back from having the "A-Spec" suspension installed front and rear. Haven't driven the car but several miles, but it seems like the infamous "Clunk in the trunk" is gone. I think it drives nicer too. Still very flat, but without the harshness. All under warranty too.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by deepvee
Just got the car back from having the "A-Spec" suspension installed front and rear. Haven't driven the car but several miles, but it seems like the infamous "Clunk in the trunk" is gone. I think it drives nicer too. Still very flat, but without the harshness. All under warranty too.
How did you get them to install a-spec kit under warranty?
I`m want one in my car too ...please share the details...
thanks
Old 10-18-2007, 09:42 AM
2007 TL-S &amp; CBR600RR

+1

Was thinking the same thing.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys, I read thru several pages but without going thru all 22, could someone tell me if the '08 TL-S cars have this fix from the factory? I've been researching this car a lot, and took one for a test drive last night...it felt pretty stiff to me (I am getting older, lol - 45) but it did not seem to make obnoxious noises (demo with only 180 miles on it)....they are going to let me take one for the day Friday, 10/19 so I will pay close attention....I really like the bang for the buck of this car but really don't want to deal with a bunch of rattles and thunks, etc.....thanks in advance!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:13 AM
2007 TL-S &amp; CBR600RR

It's based off luck. Some get all or none of them. We couldn't determine a manufacturing date or anything other. Others simply don't mind or notice the noise.

The intermittent rattles are my biggest complaint.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:24 PM
10th Gear

Rear Rattling noise on '07 TL

Hi everyone, I just purchased a '07 TL , I have 900 km, I'm in Montreal Canada, that would be about 560 miles and I have that rattling/banging noise in the back passenger side. Did Acura have a new TSB for the problem? or its still the rear suspension?

Thx
Old 10-18-2007, 06:25 PM
2007 TL-S &amp; CBR600RR

There's a TSB officially for it. It's back a few pages. I'm in a little hurry or I'd check it out for you. Just take a gander...you'll find it there somewhere.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:45 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by deepvee
Who and where is your dealer? Did they step-up or the regional rep?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by george3761
Who and where is your dealer? Did they step-up or the regional rep?
yeah give some more info we would love to know how you got the a-spec from them at who you delt with.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:54 PM
2007 TL Type-S

I've contacted Acura again and told them i would like the A-Spec suspension as a fix for this problem. They then contacted my dealer who has contacted the regional rep to see if we can get this done. Hopefully i will hear something soon.
I told them that if they do this for me i will call it good on whatever the results are.
I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:30 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TLMTL07
Hi everyone, I just purchased a '07 TL , I have 900 km, I'm in Montreal Canada, that would be about 560 miles and I have that rattling/banging noise in the back passenger side. Did Acura have a new TSB for the problem? or its still the rear suspension?

Thx
Went to Acura Plus In Blainville the ouskirts of Montreal,Canada. They changed the back passenger side damper and looks like the problem is solved will roll a few days on it. I had also my fog lights to check because they did not turn on, they repaired only 1 of them. also my trunk lid wasn't aligned properly, they said they aligned it but they did not and to put more aggravation they added as cratch the size of 6 inches next to the TL emblem on the trunk. A bad day, and finally when I picke dup the car it wasn't washed.
A really bad day
Old 10-31-2007, 05:18 PM
from PR to the world

What has happened

We haven't heard anything else about the thread.

Anyone?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by george3761
I've contacted Acura again and told them i would like the A-Spec suspension as a fix for this problem. They then contacted my dealer who has contacted the regional rep to see if we can get this done. Hopefully i will hear something soon.
I told them that if they do this for me i will call it good on whatever the results are.
let me know how that goes! And let me know who your reps are that you have been dealing with.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:33 AM
2007 TL Type-S

let me know how that goes! And let me know who your reps are that you have been dealing with.
Just got off the phone with my dealer. The regional rep is still "thinking" about the A-Spec option. They had thought i did not have the latest "fix" done. I reminded them i had the TSB done at the end of July. Gave them my invoice #. Maybe now he will think harder on the A-Spec option. I hope.
So to sum this up my dealer is calling back the rep to see where we go now that the TSB was done. This is very frustrating. So i sit and wait some more.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:36 AM
2007 TL Type-S

Also does anyone know where to go with this if the rep, the dealer, and Acura client services gets me no where?

Quick Reply: 2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension