2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:10 AM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I just got my car back today and it only helped slightly. I could still hear the noise. Oh wells. It's a lost cost.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:41 AM
06 TL! / 05 R6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW they fixed the suspension clunking noise! BUT NOW IT MAKES SQUEAKs when I turn hard... (after my 4th visit)

Is anyone fimilar with the Comtech Rear Strut Bar? Does it make squeaking noises with out the energy brushings?

Not too sure if thats the nosise I hear now...
Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 AM
06 TL! / 05 R6

Also they replaced my strut and the same part(s) they would for the TSB on the TL-S 07.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Yanks in '08!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<---- 08 Type S. Subtle clunking noises from rear right. I noticed it when I took delivery of the car last week. 130 miles on the car so far. But I don't think I want to bring it in and go through what you guys did. At least not until they come up with a permanent solution. As long as it's not a safety hazard. And I don't feel anything weird with the handling. So I can live with it for now.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:20 PM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The noise will become so annoying you will want it changed.
I got both replaced and it's fine. Just make sure the dealer doesn't scratch up your trim when removing the rear seats, like they did to mine....
Old 01-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Yanks in '08!

Which dealer did you get the car from?
Old 01-07-2008, 11:03 AM
J35A8

DCH, but you can bring to any dealer.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Yanks in '08!

Ok, thanks!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Instructor

Ok here is the latest update. My 07 Type S suspension noise has been getting worse and worse. I know have 6K miles and it is very annoying. Took it into the dealership and was told Acura is aware of the problem and may or may not do anything, this is a normal characteristic of the "sport" suspension (BS, tell that to BMW and every other car maker that has a sport suspension in their car). As a result of this cop-out answer I opened a case with Acura. I have been dealing with Tim who is fantastic. He called me back today with an update

1) Acura engineering will not permit the TL struts on the car as the type S is not desinged for the "lesser" struts

2) Acura will not invest any money in trying the ASpec struts out as they have not done this before and dont know if they will work.

3) Acura engineering is aware of the issue but will NOT commit if they will or will not fix the issue.

As a result I now have a $38K rattle box that sounds like a Ford.

WTF!!!!

Time to get rid of the car.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ltkaufman
Ok here is the latest update. My 07 Type S suspension noise has been getting worse and worse. I know have 6K miles and it is very annoying. Took it into the dealership and was told Acura is aware of the problem and may or may not do anything, this is a normal characteristic of the "sport" suspension (BS, tell that to BMW and every other car maker that has a sport suspension in their car). As a result of this cop-out answer I opened a case with Acura. I have been dealing with Tim who is fantastic. He called me back today with an update

1) Acura engineering will not permit the TL struts on the car as the type S is not desinged for the "lesser" struts

2) Acura will not invest any money in trying the ASpec struts out as they have not done this before and dont know if they will work.

3) Acura engineering is aware of the issue but will NOT commit if they will or will not fix the issue.

As a result I now have a $38K rattle box that sounds like a Ford.

WTF!!!!

Time to get rid of the car.

Mine sounds about the same after getting it back last week. The dealer did the TSB for me. I don't think it helped too much. You are right -- I think I might just trade it in or sell it in the near future. Too bad cause I love everything about this car but it's driving me nuts.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:49 AM
06 TL! / 05 R6

I dont blame you guys... But did you guys try calling Acura Corp.? At least open a case.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:11 AM
5th Gear

This sucks, I was really looking into buying a new 08TL-S if I don't like the new 09 model coming out..but w/ all these problems and the stupid way acura handels their cusumers it is dumb, esp for a $40k car! I reallllly hope then find a fix for this =(
Old 01-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Advanced

So my car went in for service. I complained about the suspension problem. Again they say there is nothing wrong. The service manager offered me to drive HIS TL-S he says it does the exact same thing. So I said... yeah then yours is bad too. And anyone I drive will probably have the same issue. They did not fix it. So now I have it back.. clunking and all. I hate this F'ing car. I really hate it.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:12 PM
10th Gear

I have a 08 TL-S... what kind of noise are we talking about? I hear a bit of rattling noise, but I was assuming that it was the plastics?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Yanks in '08!

Originally Posted by Scott P.
So my car went in for service. I complained about the suspension problem. Again they say there is nothing wrong. The service manager offered me to drive HIS TL-S he says it does the exact same thing. So I said... yeah then yours is bad too. And anyone I drive will probably have the same issue. They did not fix it. So now I have it back.. clunking and all. I hate this F'ing car. I really hate it.
Did you print out the TSB and show it to the service manager? I doubt he would say there is nothing wrong with the car.

I sent an e-mail to the service manager at my dealer. I didn't ask her if there was a problem. I told her there IS a problem and attached the TSB pdf. Told her I don't intend to bring my car in until Acura releases another TSB with a permanent fix.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Intermediate

I'm not seeing a lot of posts for problems with '08 TL-S. Can it be assumed this problem is being fixed in factory for the new cars rolling off?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:15 AM
9th Gear

I have an 08 TL-S with the same problem. I'm planning to replace my suspension with the base TL's suspension. I don't know how much it's going to cost yet, but I think that's the only fix available out there that will work.
The '09 model is coming out and I think Acura is not going to bother fixing '08 and below.
I'm not a lawyer, but can we all get together and sue Acura for this defect?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Instructor

If it were fixed in the 08 (which is the same suspension as the 07) acura would have released the shocks from the 08 TLS as a fix for the 07 TLS.

I got the same BS story from my dealership as everyone else. It is the line they are being asked to tow by Acura while the CONSIDER if they are going to do anything.

Acura corporate owes me a call back on my open case. When I spoke with them last they gave me the same story as well. "we are aware of the complaints but can not confirm if there will be a fix or not". When I asked my rep to 100% confirm this as if this were the case I was going to get rid of the car (tired of the little problems and loud noises), he replied, "let me check again with some higher ups".

If acura cant get their shit together and fix some minor strut issue when they turn around a TSB for a rattling vent, they have their heads up their asses and deserve to loose customers.

I am very shocked at acura as they are a stand up company and usually take care of their customers very well. Not sure what the story is behind the struts but try telling a BMW owner that his suspension makes noise because it is a "sport tuned" suspension. Yeah right.

ACURA WE ALL KNOW YOU READ POSTS ON THIS SITE SO GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND FIX THE PROBLEM.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:51 PM
06 TL! / 05 R6

Originally Posted by ltkaufman
ACURA WE ALL KNOW YOU READ POSTS ON THIS SITE SO GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND FIX THE PROBLEM.

I second that!!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:37 AM
Instructor

When I purchased my Type-S in April, i immediately heard the rattle. When i brought the car in two weeks later, the service advisor told me that i should wait until the "break in period" was done...that it could take as many as 5,000 miles for all of the parts on the car to break in and wear normally.

I've learned to just tune out the clunking sound over every bump, but tonight i thought about it on the way to get my oil changed. I immediately heard it again. So, i told the service guy the issue and without even a second question he told me that he would order me two new rear struts. He said this has been a known problem on the 2007 Type-S models...and there was a service bulletin issued by Acura.

Long story short, i have an appointment to drop the car off on Thursday and take a loaner for the day. Hopefully when i get it back, this anoying sound will be GONE!

If anyone else in the Chicago area is having difficulties with their dealer, i would definately reccomend checking out McGrath Acura in Morton Grove (On Waukegan Rte. 43 just north of Dempster). Like i said, the guy didn't give me a hard time at all. He knew the problem and immediately jumped to fixing it!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Yanks in '08!

Good luck! Make sure you inspect the back seats after you pick up your car. Some people have reported that the techs did a poor job of putting them back in place which increased rattling noises.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:46 AM
Instructor

If your car does not already have the updated struts, which many do, the noise will go away for a small while then the noise will re-appear with the TSB struts. Acura is aware of this issue as well.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by alextclam
Did you print out the TSB and show it to the service manager? I doubt he would say there is nothing wrong with the car.

I sent an e-mail to the service manager at my dealer. I didn't ask her if there was a problem. I told her there IS a problem and attached the TSB pdf. Told her I don't intend to bring my car in until Acura releases another TSB with a permanent fix.
I did this originally, and they replaced the rears. Now... the rears are worse than they ever were and the fronts are clunking as well. This is my second Acura. This will also be my last.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Instructor

ok everyone, here is the latest update from Acura corporate

1) Although they are aware of the rattling sound, they claim that the TSB they issued fixes the problem for MOST folks. They realize not all.

2) They claim that since there are different roads in different parts of the country, they can not address the issue fully for all rough road surfaces.

3) The 09 TLS will be AWD

Bottom line, they do NOT plan on putting out any other fix besides the already issued TSB. This information was double checked by my representative at Acura.

It appears that since there are only 2 years of a limited production cars, they just dont care about the small number of complaints and will NOT fix this any further.

I think it is time to help change their mind. I would suggest that everyone that has this problem bombard Acura with complaints. If they dont change their minds it will be time to get rid of the car. Although I love it, the rattling drives me crazy.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Intermediate

Hi everyone. Just bought a brand new 2008 Type S today in Spokane, WA. After an extensive test drive I bought it and drove it home, about a 3 hour highway drive. When I got to my home town with crappy roads I immediately noticed a clunk clunk clunk sound with pretty much every substantial bump I hit. After getting the car home I decided to check this forum for aftermarket stereo mods and low and behold, what did I find but a thread on the Type S noisy rear suspension!!!

I apologize for not reading through all 25 pages, but has anyone gotten the A-spec suspension package for their Type S? Has that solved the problem? Because I was thinking about getting it anyway.

Wow. $38K and the car sounds like I have a some loose tool boxes rattling around in the trunk... This sucks.

Guess who I'm calling tomorrow morning?

Tony
Old 01-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Yanks in '08!

Not sure about the A-spec but a few have aftermarket suspension installed on their TL-S and they haven't complained since.

I'm already used to it. Doesn't bother me that much now. Actually, I think the noise has decreased after I had passengers in the rear. Maybe it needs to settle in? Or maybe I'm just used to it, hah.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Instructor

Why should anyone have to spend $ to upgrade a $40K cars suspension to an aspec or other to get rid of noises from the manufacturer.

I would like to take a poll of how many people are willing to complain to acura about this problem and their unwillingness to help?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they got a service bulletin on this
Old 01-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Instructor

read the treads on this subject. TSB does not work or works for a short time (several K miles) then clunking comes back.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh yea? its not the tower mounts? thats usually what makes the noise.....ooorrrr some kinda bushing
Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Instructor

dont know what it is, either strut or mounts or bushings on mounts. Apparently neither does acura.

$40K rattle box. Nice....
Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Tony407
Hi everyone. Just bought a brand new 2008 Type S today in Spokane, WA. After an extensive test drive I bought it and drove it home, about a 3 hour highway drive. When I got to my home town with crappy roads I immediately noticed a clunk clunk clunk sound with pretty much every substantial bump I hit. After getting the car home I decided to check this forum for aftermarket stereo mods and low and behold, what did I find but a thread on the Type S noisy rear suspension!!!

I apologize for not reading through all 25 pages, but has anyone gotten the A-spec suspension package for their Type S? Has that solved the problem? Because I was thinking about getting it anyway.

Wow. $38K and the car sounds like I have a some loose tool boxes rattling around in the trunk... This sucks.

Guess who I'm calling tomorrow morning?

Tony
I have a '08 TL-S with the same issue. The dealership where I bought my car from said they are unaware of any issues with TL-S or any TSB out there.
I think they're giving me a run around.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLUE07TLS
When I purchased my Type-S in April, i immediately heard the rattle. When i brought the car in two weeks later, the service advisor told me that i should wait until the "break in period" was done...that it could take as many as 5,000 miles for all of the parts on the car to break in and wear normally.

I've learned to just tune out the clunking sound over every bump, but tonight i thought about it on the way to get my oil changed. I immediately heard it again. So, i told the service guy the issue and without even a second question he told me that he would order me two new rear struts. He said this has been a known problem on the 2007 Type-S models...and there was a service bulletin issued by Acura.

Long story short, i have an appointment to drop the car off on Thursday and take a loaner for the day. Hopefully when i get it back, this anoying sound will be GONE!

If anyone else in the Chicago area is having difficulties with their dealer, i would definately reccomend checking out McGrath Acura in Morton Grove (On Waukegan Rte. 43 just north of Dempster). Like i said, the guy didn't give me a hard time at all. He knew the problem and immediately jumped to fixing it!
Yes .you are right.I was dealing with same person,his name is John.Great guy.
Same problem,they did TSB three times on my car,bit with no big change.I mean it`s better but the noise is still there.I wait until the real fix.By the way you might want to open the case with Acura.Ask for reg.case manager named Brian Harrison.he is the case manager in our area-great guy-very helpful.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Apparently you guys are not reading the posts. According to Acura Corporate, there WILL BE NO OTHER FIX (BESIDES THE ALREADY ISSUED TSB) to address this issue.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:40 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,030 Likes on 3,874 Posts
When you guys were test driving the cars, did you hear any noises then?

Acura deserves to loose sales over this. But, if people keep buying the car, why should Acura fix the problem?

I hope no one buys an 09 model.....being a new redesign, you KNOW that car will have problems out the butt.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Test drove car before I bought it no noise. Noise starts happening after 2-3K miles. I would definately stay away from the 09 AWD.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Clunk!

Hi All:
Back in July, the Acura dealer supposedly fixed my car - they put in a TL suspension on all 4 wheels. Well, the noise is gone, but I have the wrong suspension!

My contact at Acura Client Services was supposed to call me when a real fix came available, as they did not want to mess with the car one more time. As of today, no one has called me, so i finally wrote him a letter yesterday, to see where they are on a fix.

It is my understanding, that there is no fix? So, now I have a softer suspension with no clunk, that does not belong on my car.

I will wait a week, to see how they respond.

Viraf
Old 01-19-2008, 04:35 PM
J35A8

Did you know they were putting a tl-p suspension in your car? I would have stopped them and told them to put the correct parts in.
SB#070-39 they should have changed both rear damper assemblies.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Instructor

VIRAFP,

Sorry to say but you have been given the best excuse ever. Lets put these on till the correct part is fixed / designed. As I stated in my post before. ACURA has 100% confirmed that they will not fix this issue (beyond the struts issued under the TSB that don’t solve the problem). They were hoping that you would forget.

They will probably want to put the TSB struts in which will develop the clunk in a few thousand miles.

As I stated earlier, WE ALL NEED TO CALL ACURA AND EXPRESS OUR DISPLEASURE WITH THEIR DESISION AS "WE WILL NOT FIX THIS FURTHER" IS NOT AN ANSWER TO CUSTOMERS WHO SPENT $40k. THE ONLY WAY THEY ARE GOING TO CHANGE THEIR MIND IS IF EVERYONE WHO HAS THIS PROBLEM CALLS THEM AND FILES A COMPLAINT AND THREATENS TO RETURN THE CAR.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:42 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by virafp
Hi All:
Back in July, the Acura dealer supposedly fixed my car - they put in a TL suspension on all 4 wheels. Well, the noise is gone, but I have the wrong suspension!

My contact at Acura Client Services was supposed to call me when a real fix came available, as they did not want to mess with the car one more time. As of today, no one has called me, so i finally wrote him a letter yesterday, to see where they are on a fix.

It is my understanding, that there is no fix? So, now I have a softer suspension with no clunk, that does not belong on my car.

I will wait a week, to see how they respond.

Viraf
Can you give me the name of the dealer ship and the person you dealt with there? At this point, I'm willing to settle with the base TL suspension as long as I don't have to put any money out.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension