2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:27 AM
2007 TL Type-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sudolg
For the dealership. Not for Acura. If Acura needs our help, then we are in trouble.
That's what i was wondering. Is Acura using the dealership to help in their tests?
Old 07-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have had an open case with Acura Client Services since January. From the day I picked up my car it has had the famous clink in the rear end. I had the struts replaced a few months ago but that did not fix the problem.

My case manager called me last week, he informed me there were new parts that would fix this problem. This will be my 4th trip to the dealer for this problem. Well I just picked up my Type S from the dealer. They replaced the bolts, dampener and bushing. The car is still pretty noisy when I hit a bump. I am not sold that this fixed the problem. I guess at this point I am just going to have to live with the noisy rear end.

I have the 18 inch A-Spec wheels on this car. While my car was at the dealer I asked them to check the balance of the tires. At 75 to 80 mph I get a shaking in the drivers seat. They told me the wheels and tires were perfectly balanced and that slight shaking was normal.

This is my 7th Acura. I have never had problems like this with any of my Acura cars. I am seriously thinking of getting rid of this car because of these problems. I know this, It will be my last Acura purchase!!
Old 07-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by undertaker
Then go for it!
I would but I have not had any parts replaced yet. I don't have much of an argument like others on the board do. However, I will be contacting Acura to let them know of the issue. We all need to do this.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Got a call back

Got a call back from Client Services today. He said that in their haste to get my car fixed, they inadvertently ordered the wrong parts and sent them to the dealer - TL parts instead of TL-S parts. The supposed fix is "coming soon", per Acura.

For anybody who is getting their car torn apart, I would first verify that the parts being installed are the correct ones.

They are to get back to me next week, and give me options, so I can decide what to do.

Viraf
Old 07-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by virafp
Got a call back from Client Services today. He said that in their haste to get my car fixed, they inadvertently ordered the wrong parts and sent them to the dealer - TL parts instead of TL-S parts. The supposed fix is "coming soon", per Acura.

For anybody who is getting their car torn apart, I would first verify that the parts being installed are the correct ones.

They are to get back to me next week, and give me options, so I can decide what to do.

Viraf
Try to get an A-spec kit from them ,find out if that would match the car spec.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Instructor

A-Spec

Undertaker,
What is the difference between a regular TLS suspension and A Spec? I do not see a listing for A Spec available for the TLS...maybe the TLS and A spec for the TL are one and the same?

Input please...Viraf
Old 07-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Part Numbers

Here are the part number for the items they put on my car.

90182-SDA-A00, Bolt and Flange
90300-S84-A00, Nut 10mm
90002-S10-000, Nut, Flange 10
52610-SEP-A18, Damper Assy RR

Let me know if these are the correct parts. Like I said in my previous post. I don't feel these parts fixed the problem. The rear end is still very noisy!
Old 07-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Instructor

WOW..still not a fix

Originally Posted by Levelpar1
Here are the part number for the items they put on my car.

90182-SDA-A00, Bolt and Flange
90300-S84-A00, Nut 10mm
90002-S10-000, Nut, Flange 10
52610-SEP-A18, Damper Assy RR

Let me know if these are the correct parts. Like I said in my previous post. I don't feel these parts fixed the problem. The rear end is still very noisy!
Bummer that this is not a fix - I believe someons said that the A18 was the new part.

This is why I am not going to let them rip the car apart again, till there is a proven fix. Till then, I am content to ride on the marginally softer struts (springs are still TL-S springs) and deal with a repair once and for all. Atleast I have no clunk, and the car is a pleasure to drive.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Advanced

I've been thinking. I'm wondering if the problem here is not related to the actual suspension and that the noise is coming as a result of the tightned suspension. In other words, the noise is coming from the actual car not being as tight as it should be. The additional shock caused by the tight suspension brings out the noise. Acura is trying to resolve this by putting the base TL suspension in place of the TL-S. Any thoughts? I can't see how anything in the suspension would cause this noise.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:47 AM
2007 TL-S & CBR600RR

Bummer that this is not a fix - I believe someons said that the A18 was the new part.
That was me...because that's what THEY said. I'm not totally sold on it. Over the right sort of sharp bump, I STILL GET THE NOISE!!

But, its truly not as bad as before.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:54 AM
2007 TL Type-S

This is why I am not going to let them rip the car apart again, till there is a proven fix. Till then, I am content to ride on the marginally softer struts (springs are still TL-S springs) and deal with a repair once and for all. Atleast I have no clunk, and the car is a pleasure to drive.
Did they replace the struts on all four corners or just the rear?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:59 PM
3rd Gear

I'm heading to the dealer today to pick up my Type S with 200 miles that had the knocking noise in the left rear. They have informed me that they changed both rear struts and the problem is fixed.

I will share my part numbers and results tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:18 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can say that the TL-S suspension is very stiff. But my clunk in the trunk is subtle, only when Im going over road that has look like tanks been blasting it. I did the foam insulation between the spare tire and body and that had help some. The clunk noise seems to be comming from the subwoofer area.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:44 PM
2007 TL-S &amp; CBR600RR

Originally Posted by george3761
I know this wasn't directed at me but they only replaced the rear on mine.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Instructor

replaced all 4

They replaced all 4 struts, but I believe they kept the TLS springs on the car.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:32 PM
2007 TL Type-S

They replaced all 4 struts, but I believe they kept the TLS springs on the car.
I'm curious. I know you spoke to this a liitle before. How's the handling? I know you said the ride is better but it cornered soft. Could you elaborate?
I looking at this as a possible option if Acura can not get a good fix. I'm willing to give up a little handling for the better and quieter ride.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:42 AM
3rd Gear

I picked up my TL-S last night and the service rep explained that they replaced my rear struts with an enhanced TL Type S strut. They claimed that this is definitely not a TL strut and not the original strut that the car came with. They said that there specifically was a problem with the mount that they have corrected.

They also went out of their way to explain that any other sound was 'normal.' They even printed this on my receipt.

I drove the car ~ 20 miles on Chicago streets and find that the knocking is nothing like it was before. It was almost a rattle/knock before. Now, if i hit a bump just right, I can get a single knock or rattle to emit. I, personally, am thrilled with how the car handles. So, if I need to hear an occasional sound going over rough pavement, I can deal with that. If I wanted a perfectly smooth ride, I would have kept my 2006 TL.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:12 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

^ Didn't someone posted that the A17 is NOT a type-s strut?
Old 07-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Intermediate

reffjak, thanks for your post and updates

S power is correct, A17 is for a 07 TL, NOT TL-S

go back to page 15 of this thread and you can see they did this to virafp
Old 07-17-2007, 04:06 PM
3rd Gear

Hi there,
ok I just looked up my copy of paper work from last time they changed the strut and it says 52610-SEP-A17 so it looks like the other part really is different....will see,
I`m calling my dealer rigth now...
p.s. RR might mean REAR RIGHT so 17 or 15 might just be left or right...lets hope its an all different part...

Originally Posted by RedHOT
That part is the ENTIRE assembly. SHOCK ABSORBER ASSY., RR. $152.26 Dealer Price

52611-SEP-A15 is just the shock.
I think that the TL strut that virafp had installed was a different part number. Based on undertaker and RedHOT 52610-SEP-A17 is the entire assembly that includes the A15 shock.

They clearly are trying to end this with me as they added the text on my service invoice "Any other sound is normal." If Acura is still developing a better shock or assembly, they had better make it available to me when it's complete. I certainly hope that they don't think that just because they wrote that on the service invoice that I will never come back.

At this point, the noise is not too bad. I'm thinking that I will just wait until they get a final solution, and then go back to Acura and demand it.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:39 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by reffjak
I think that the TL strut that virafp had installed was a different part number. Based on undertaker and RedHOT 52610-SEP-A17 is the entire assembly that includes the A15 shock.

They clearly are trying to end this with me as they added the text on my service invoice "Any other sound is normal." If Acura is still developing a better shock or assembly, they had better make it available to me when it's complete. I certainly hope that they don't think that just because they wrote that on the service invoice that I will never come back.

At this point, the noise is not too bad. I'm thinking that I will just wait until they get a final solution, and then go back to Acura and demand it.

Any thoughts?
Looks like they installed A18 on se7en's car.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Instructor

If they I mean Acura start putting an non-tls struts in tls and they work,then I`m going to let them do the same on my car....Virafp has them ....
Btw,Virafp how is the car doing so far?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:16 AM
Intermediate

i work for acura i have never heard of putting the reg. non s struts on the s to fix the noise when i have this noise complaint i do rear struts only and make sure the springs are properly seated in the spring seats on the new struts. this has worked on at least 4 that i have done and i have yet to see any of them come back with the same noise, if u cant deal with a little bit of noise dont buy the performance version of the car!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SteeleTM
i work for acura i have never heard of putting the reg. non s struts on the s to fix the noise when i have this noise complaint i do rear struts only and make sure the springs are properly seated in the spring seats on the new struts. this has worked on at least 4 that i have done and i have yet to see any of them come back with the same noise, if u cant deal with a little bit of noise dont buy the performance version of the car!!!
I'm not sure this is a good argument because in my experience I am not hearing these types of noises out of performance versions of the TL-S competitors. These are not normal noises.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:20 AM
2010 TL SH-AWD

if u cant deal with a little bit of noise dont buy the performance version of the car!!!
"customers, Please expect abnormal noises when purchasing the Type-S"
^why not make a banner at your dealership?

Completely ignorant if you ask me . No wonder you work for a dealership. They always have a stupid statement to back them up if there's a consistant problem. I dont blame ya, I guess thats how they train you.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Advanced

if u cant deal with a little bit of noise dont buy the performance version of the car!!!
I completely disagree with what you said. I shouldn't have to live with a noisy suspension.. Not on a $38,000 car! I have owned 11 Acura's & 5 Honda's and I have never had one with a suspension problem like my 07 Type S has. This problem will be corrected or it will be the last Acura I will ever buy!!
Old 07-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Advanced

I don't know if this has been posted on here. If it is, sorry for the repost. But look at what I found, I guess we aren't the only ones...
Old 07-18-2007, 09:00 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

MDX uses a different suspesion set up. TL uses coil over struts, so the mount bolts are facing up and not sideways.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Instructor

Noise

I am not in agreement with your last comment. I have owned a few cars with "sport suspensions" and I agree that they are not as quiet as regular suspensions, because they tend to transfer more noise into the car. However, this clunking is totally abnormal, and I do not consider it a little bit of noise.

Test drive a BMW 328i with the sport package and tell me what you think? If BMW can build a suspension that works, I have to assume Acura can as well?

Viraf
Old 07-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Instructor

TL struts

If they I mean Acura start putting an non-tls struts in tls and they work,then I`m going to let them do the same on my car....Virafp has them ....
Btw,Virafp how is the car doing so far?
There is a marginal drop off in cornering, but the noise has gone. I plan on keeping this on the car, as Acura has assured me that it is not a safety issue, till a proven fix is found.

I can live with a bit softer ride, without the knocking. However, its not what i paid for so it will get resolved.

Viraf
Old 07-20-2007, 12:32 AM
9th Gear

I picked up my TLS for the 3rd time on June 26. They had just performed the latest TSB with the new part numbers. I have been told this is the fix that the engineers have been working on qnd is now released in a new TSB dated June 15th. My TLS has about 3300 miles on it now and I can tell you without hesitation that both the front and rear suspensions are as noisy as they have ever been. I have two noises happening in the rear one is the muffled rattle most of describe and the other sound is a metalic rattle that they can't seem to correct either.

Here is the TSB

Service Bulletin
© 2007 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. – All Rights Reserved BTB 36317 (0706) 1 of 1
CLIENT INFORMATION:

The information in this bulletin is intended for use only by skilled technicians who have the proper tools, equipment, and
training to correctly and safely maintain your vehicle. These procedures should not be attempted by “do-it-yourselfers,” and you should not assume this bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle has the condition described. To determine whether this information applies, contact an authorized Acura automobile dealer.

June 15, 2007
07-0xx
Applies To: 2007 TL Base – From VIN 19UUA6...7A000001 thru 19UUA6...7A018996
2007 TL Type-S – From VIN 19UUA7...7A000001 thru 19UUA7...7A031980

Knock or Clunk From the Rear Suspension

SYMPTOM
There is a knock or clunk coming from the rear
suspension. (The noise may sound like loose articles in
the trunk or rear tray.)
PROBABLE CAUSE
Faulty rear damper assembly.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace both rear damper assemblies.
PARTS INFORMATION
Rear Damper Assembly (2 required):
Base TL: P/N 52610-SEP-A07
Type-S: P/N 52610-SEP-A17
Flange Bolt (2 required):
P/N 90182-SDA-A00
Nut (4 required):
P/N 90300-S84-A00
Flange Nut (2 required):
P/N 90002-S10-000
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty: The normal warranty applies.
Operation Number: xxxxxx?
Flat Rate Time: 1.6 hours
Failed Part: P/N xxxxx-xxx-xxx?
Defect Code: xxxxx?
Symptom Code: xxxxx?
Template ID: 07-0xx?
Skill Level: Repair Technician
Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty
expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by
the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone
Office. You must request consideration, and get a
decision, before starting work.
DIAGNOSIS
1. Test-drive the vehicle over rough roads while
varying the speed from 10 mph to 25 mph and
listen for the noise. The noise may sound like loose
articles in the trunk or rear tray.
2. Remove the rear seat
• Refer to page 20-122 of the 2007 TL Service
Manual, or
• Online, enter keyword SEATS, and select Rear
Seat Removal/Installation from the list.
3. Insert shop towels into the pockets where the upper
shock mounts are located.
4. Test-drive the vehicle again over rough roads. If the
noise is gone or has changed, go to REPAIR
PROCEDURE.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
Replace both rear damper assemblies:
• Refer to page 18-41 of the service manual, or
• Online, enter keyword REAR SUSPENSION, and
select Damper/Spring Removal and Installation
from the list.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:27 AM
2012 TL SH-AWD Advance

TSB from July 20th ... http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b07-039.PDF

And according to this TSB my car shouldn't have the problem... But the supension is def very loud and I'm basing that off of my 93 Legend with Koni's and Eibachs. Hmmm... Time to call client services.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Advanced

Interesting. Could someone please post the procedure of how to remove the rear seat back as I'd like to try the diagnosis myself.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:20 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Thanks for the TSB heads up guys. Just called my dealer to get the parts coming. Hopefully get them installed later part of next week.
I'll give you updates as they come.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:22 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by sudolg
Interesting. Could someone please post the procedure of how to remove the rear seat back as I'd like to try the diagnosis myself.
You don't have to diagnose anything really. If you have that clunk you know it without taking the car apart.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RedHOT
TSB from July 20th ... http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b07-039.PDF

And according to this TSB my car shouldn't have the problem... But the supension is def very loud and I'm basing that off of my 93 Legend with Koni's and Eibachs. Hmmm... Time to call client services.

So within the span of 1 month, they came out with 2 TSB's? The TSB submitted by dg in MD is dated 6/15 with # BTB 36317 (0706) and now the TSB dated 7/20 with # BTB 36317 (0707) It looks to me like the Damper Assy# was changed to A18 - <<se7en>> had that put on...I wonder how his ride has been?

Either way, it still looks like their experimenting with different fixes and I'm not so sure I want my S torn apart once more
Old 07-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Advanced

You don't have to diagnose anything really. If you have that clunk you know it without taking the car apart.
I hear you. But if they are going to do it, I'd rather be the one to pull it apart. Bad enough I have to let them play with my suspension. Do dealership techs even have torque wrenches? Time is money so I doubt it... I'd like to remove the seat and ensure that is where it is coming from. I'm not completely sold on it.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:50 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by clttr2002
So within the span of 1 month, they came out with 2 TSB's? The TSB submitted by dg in MD is dated 6/15 with # BTB 36317 (0706) and now the TSB dated 7/20 with # BTB 36317 (0707) It looks to me like the Damper Assy# was changed to A18 - <<se7en>> had that put on...I wonder how his ride has been?

Either way, it still looks like their experimenting with different fixes and I'm not so sure I want my S torn apart once more
As far as i know today was the first TSB. Previous releases were service advisories or something like that.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
so is the -A17 the fix??? i remember someone getting -A18...isnt one for the regular TL??? I got a call last week from client services to tell me that the dealership ordered my parts and should be in soon....but im curious as to which parts are actually for the type S, i spoke to service manager yesterday and he said they order -A17s.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ahmad310
so is the -A17 the fix??? i remember someone getting -A18...isnt one for the regular TL??? I got a call last week from client services to tell me that the dealership ordered my parts and should be in soon....but im curious as to which parts are actually for the type S, i spoke to service manager yesterday and he said they order -A17s.

That's my point - Post # 427 references a different TSB then Post # 428. The first TSB is for the TL and the TL-S and calls out the A17 as the fix and was dated 6/15. The second TSB is just for the TL-S and calls out the A18 as the fix and was dated 7/20 - the second one being the newest....

Quick Reply: 2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension