2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viraf,

I am very surprised they put the TL struts on the TLS. Acura corporate Tim McCarthy told me that the car was not desinged, from a safety stand point, to have these struts on them and that Acura Engineering would not permit it from a safety stand point.

Seems like everyone gets a different story. Why settle for a car with a substandard suspension.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was not aware

After I picked up the car, I noticed it rode softer - posted the part numbers here, and a member said they were TL parts. I called the dealer and the parts department verified that they were TL parts.

Acura Corp said it was a "mistake" on their part as they supplied the dealer with the wrong part numbers.

Originally Posted by korrupted
Did you know they were putting a tl-p suspension in your car? I would have stopped them and told them to put the correct parts in.
SB#070-39 they should have changed both rear damper assemblies.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Valid Concern

That is why I am concerned - here I have a high performance car with a base model suspension. So far, Acura has not made me happy with a solution.

Viraf

Originally Posted by ltkaufman
Viraf,

I am very surprised they put the TL struts on the TLS. Acura corporate Tim McCarthy told me that the car was not desinged, from a safety stand point, to have these struts on them and that Acura Engineering would not permit it from a safety stand point.

Seems like everyone gets a different story. Why settle for a car with a substandard suspension.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:45 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by virafp
After I picked up the car, I noticed it rode softer - posted the part numbers here, and a member said they were TL parts. I called the dealer and the parts department verified that they were TL parts.

Acura Corp said it was a "mistake" on their part as they supplied the dealer with the wrong part numbers.

Acura is total BS! they wanted to see if you would bite or not. Bastards.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Wocoomrd

My car is 2008 with 850 miles on it and when going over a speed bump yesterday, I noticed the sound. I don't think I'm going to take it to the dealer. I will just install H&R on it. Probably spend more time arguing with the dealer.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Instructor

Acura Rep moved!

I just found out today that the Client Services Rep who had all the history on the car has been moved, so I now need to get with the "new guy" and bring him up to speed. As much fun as this car is, it is a real pain in my ass, with as much time as this has taken.

Viraf
Old 01-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Instructor

I agree with you all. Acura is full of shit and playing games.

They need to get their act together and start treating customers like those who spend $40K on a car. Not like an owner who they could care less about.

If, and it is a big if, i decide to keep this car, it will be my last car from ACURA and I will make sure the only time I take it to them for work will be warranty work. No more of my money to acura. More than happy to have my local mechanic do periodic maintenance on the car.

IF AND ONLY IF WE ALL START COMPLAINING WILL THEY EVEN CONCIDER DOING SOMETHING
Old 01-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Wocoomrd

I feel that all of these manufactures are like that. Act that they care by having a number you can call for customer service on their website. I've owned Nissan, Mercedes, BMW and Lexus cars. Each car has it's own design flaw that the manufacture to address with BMW being the worse. I've called BMW, and Nissan up before and they all seem to "care" when you call. "Oh please give me the details of the problem, dealer you wen to and the result of the service. I will personally follow up on it and here's my name, number and extension. I will be in touch with you until the problem gets solved".

Yeah right... I've sold the Nissan 5 years ago and I'm still waiting to hear back from Nissan USA. I sold my BMW two months ago and still waiting for the consumer affairs dept to call me back.

It's not worth my time to call hem up anymore. I much rather just write a letter to the CEO explaining the situation and kindly notifying them why I will not recommend their brand to anyone else and why I personally will never buy their brand.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Instructor

My OEM struts didn`t make the clunking sound before but after changing it to Tokico struts with skunk2 springs, it started making clunking sound(in rear suspension only). what should i do? Do you think i still have spacers in them? please and thank you
Old 01-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Instructor

TSB.....again

Well, the car goes in tonight for the suspension - all 4 shocks/struts, springs and hardware to trade out the TL suspension and put back in the TL-S suspension.

Lets hope it works, otherwise, its going to arbitration for a refund...I don't think I will accept anything less.

We'll give it a shot and see what happens. I am willing to give them one more chance, but that will be it.

Viraf
Old 01-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Instructor

Viraf,

Sounds like Acura is putting back the original TLS suspension. What you will find is that at first, very little noise, then after a few thousand miles, the clunk will be back. Pls. keep us posted as I am in the same boat. As Acura has made it very clear that they will not fix the issue any further, besides the already issued TSB, we are up a creek. They claim that a clunking sound on an $40K is normal.

A little background on some checking I have been doing. If you check the part numbers on the 07 TL vs 07TLS strut parts (not the whole assembly but individual parts) you will see that the only 2 parts that are different are the strut and spring. The strut plate, washers, bushings, etc are the exact same between the 2. What does this tell you. Either Acura mismatched the strut and spring combo or that the extra stiffness of the strut/spring is causing a stress on the metal. I took out the back seat and had a friend of mine drive the car over rough road while I had my ear to the inside of the strut. There did not appear to be any noise comming from the strut plate or metal part of the car, just from the strut itself. This leads me to believe that the strut is not matched correctly for the spring and one or the other is over/under dampening.

Koni makes a replacement strut (not assembly) that is adjustable from TL level stiffness to more than the existing TLS level. I am almost inclided to install them and to try to dial in the correct match between the strut and spring. If this works it definately indicates that there is a mismatch between the 2.

Pls. keep us posted as to the fix as I really dont want to spend $300 + install to test out my theory for something that Acura should be fixing. I would be more than happy to go into arbitration with you or get a lawyer.

Thanks and pls. keep us posted.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:31 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,830 Likes on 4,281 Posts
Originally Posted by virafp
Well, the car goes in tonight for the suspension - all 4 shocks/struts, springs and hardware to trade out the TL suspension and put back in the TL-S suspension.

Lets hope it works, otherwise, its going to arbitration for a refund...I don't think I will accept anything less.

We'll give it a shot and see what happens. I am willing to give them one more chance, but that will be it.

Viraf

How did you arrange this? Did you hire an attorney?

If all of the mistreated and dissatisfied TLS owners would do this, Acura would certainly be motivated to act positively on behalf of the paying customer - or perhaps former customer.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Instructor

Nothing yet

Originally Posted by pttl
How did you arrange this? Did you hire an attorney?

If all of the mistreated and dissatisfied TLS owners would do this, Acura would certainly be motivated to act positively on behalf of the paying customer - or perhaps former customer.
The car is being fixed yet again. I have done nothing yet - I am giving them a chance to get it right first. If they fail, then I will seek other options, because I cannot own a car with a suspension clunk for the next 5 years.

Hopefully, it is a fix, and nothing more needs to be done or said.

Viraf
Old 01-30-2008, 11:42 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
They fixed my dampers 3K miles ago, it's still great.
Maybe you need to bring it to a different dealer.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Replaced today

Originally Posted by korrupted
They fixed my dampers 3K miles ago, it's still great.
Maybe you need to bring it to a different dealer.
Picked the car up today - so far so good, but we will have to see what happens after a few thousand miles.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Viraf,

Could you do me a favor and look behind the tire at the strut, there will be a white label with a part number. Could you pls. post to see what part they installed?
Old 02-08-2008, 10:35 AM
B A N N E D

Just picked up my car from the dealer with the same issue. They told me they saw a TSB on this and they replaced my rear suspension. Here are the part #'s they used:

52610-SEP-A18 - Damper Assy (2)
90182-SDA-A00 - Bolt, Flange (2)
90002-S10-000 - Nut, Flange (2)
90300-S84-A00 - Nut (2)
Old 02-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Yup, these parts too will start to make the rattle noise in a few thousand miles.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Advanced

I describe the sound best as every bump is like driving over as loose manhole cover. Agree?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:55 AM
10th Gear

After having dealt with this issue from day one and going through a couple of useless strut changes, I have found a permanent solution.

G35X
Old 02-14-2008, 06:55 PM
2007 TL Type-S

I've given up myself. I've got 2 years on the lease and i'll be done with it. It's to bad too because other than that the car is great. I'll consider the new tl in a few years.
But i'm driving over a lot of bumps before i sign. All wheel drive would be nice too.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:36 PM
4th Gear

Angry

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
havent seen to many posts with the 08 Tl-S, guess they fixed it? my suspension makes slight thumps.. but its very mild sound... only noticeable to me, because i listen for any noise or creak possible

anybody have this issue with the 08 TL-S ?
I bought my 08TL-S back in Sept. 07, have same problem.
So sad there's no solution for this issue.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:59 PM
B A N N E D

it's back @ the dealer for the SAME issue again. MB I should call a Lemon atty?
Old 02-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Instructor

Igor911,

Dont bother, acura sucks, I have already been thru this with Acura corporate, they claim that the noise is normal for "a sports car", my ass. They very clearly told me they do not plan on doing anything and that they can not design a car for all roads. I told them that I would get rid of the car and they said ok. Trust me they do not plan on doing anything as I spoke with the top dog at acura.

Lets be clear, acura sucks and this will be my last car with them. Their customer service is horrible, especially with this number of complaints. They deserve to loose market share and customers.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:37 PM
10th Gear

With this problem going on for so long, has anyone filed a lemon law yet? Or received anything beyond comp XM worth little.

I am on ly second visit on the problem and dealer has had the car for a week so far waiting for parts. This is the first time they replaced the struts. First time they said it was the spring on the trunk - same noise in passenger rear corner. In my state, it only takes three visits.

In a problem with BMW a few years ago, corporate was anxious to settle without a lemon law and they worked to get me away from the lease on that car and into another BMW.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:01 PM
10th Gear

Struts replaced and car finally returned today after a week. All is quiet and ride quality restored. Stable in high cross wind again. I have my fingered crossed. Extra sound deadening was added according to service.
According to the dealer (owned by Penske), my car is first to have had this problem there but they know of the bulletin. I said others have not had good history. They said there has never been a lemon claim filed in the state on an Acura and mine would not be the first.
I hope so.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:46 PM
2010 CBP SH-AWD

Any out there with a 08 having this problem? If so, about how many miles when you first noticed it?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:10 PM
i souport publik edekason

Cool

I too am having some noise issues... but up until now hard to diagnose... especially over the third and fourth gear issues...

I just called my service manager (Keyes Acura - Van Nuys CA) to find out status of my gear issues... When he calls tomorrow I will bring up these other issues...

Noisy suspension, back speaker, and lots of other little shit... WTF... I loved my 04 TL6MT... This is quite disappointing...

Ciao
Old 03-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
well after 3 sets of struts including having all 4 replaced with base TL struts, im back to type S and done with it. Acura has pretty much said unless another TSB comes out that is the last thing they are doing. But so far these ones seem the best so far. One good thing that came out of it, was i took my tein S-tech springs with me and they put them on for free since they would have the springs out anyway!! I'll just keep fingers crossed that the noise dont come back.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:36 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Ahmad310
well after 3 sets of struts including having all 4 replaced with base TL struts, im back to type S and done with it. Acura has pretty much said unless another TSB comes out that is the last thing they are doing. But so far these ones seem the best so far. One good thing that came out of it, was i took my tein S-tech springs with me and they put them on for free since they would have the springs out anyway!! I'll just keep fingers crossed that the noise dont come back.
Set down with GM at your dealer and state that neither you or the dealer will come out ahead in a lemon law filing. What will they and Acura do to move you into another vehicle.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ahmad how do u like the s tech spring on the type s i was thinking of putting them back on my car i have the type s struts with aspec springs....it feels insane but the drop isnt really how low I want it.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 AM
B A N N E D

Well my noise came back so i took the car in. They said this time that "the tech re-torqued all of the bolts to spec so that the noise will go away."

I sometimes wish I could get this car lemoned so I can get something else. It's getting rather annoying with the rattles, 3rd gear and now suspension. I just can't believe paying nearly 40k for a car with all of these problems. Damn the day I sold my G35 coupe.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
ahmad how do u like the s tech spring on the type s i was thinking of putting them back on my car i have the type s struts with aspec springs....it feels insane but the drop isnt really how low I want it.

Well i havent got to drive it too much since the weather hasnt been the best, but i took it out for a little today to see, and to be honest, it rides pretty good, i think its barely different than it was stock, i never was fond of the way the type S rode, and this isnt much different, im very happy and it looks great, the drop is perfect.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Any word on a real fix from acura on this?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:06 AM
from PR to the world

A-spec Suspension

I'm about to purchase the A-spec Suspension for my TL-S 2007 AT. Does anybody know if the clunking will go away and what's the drop on the car. Please reply ASAP if you can. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Update on suspension noise. after having my car "looked" at by Acura of Auburn and being told that the clunking is normal and that I already had the updated struts per the TSB, I took the car to Herb Connly of Framingham. After their tech took the car out for a ride and confirmed the clunking, he indicated that they had a lot of sucess with replacing the rear swaybar bushings and end links but could not guarantee a fix.

Today I picked up the car and what do you know the clunking is 90%+ gone.

Looks like Acura has no clue and the dealership found the problem. I will drive the car more this weekend but sounds like it is much much better.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:18 AM
10th Gear

Hi Guys, any updated on the Noisy Rear Suspension??? I just finiahed reading all 17 pages and for sure I have the same probem as everyone. I have a 2008 Type-S with about 500 miles on it. The production of my car was on Jan 2008. Any suggesion on what should I do next?? Thanks first guys! =)
Old 04-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by StreetLegal 2.2
I'm about to purchase the A-spec Suspension for my TL-S 2007 AT. Does anybody know if the clunking will go away and what's the drop on the car. Please reply ASAP if you can. Thanks.

No, I have the A-spec package and it clunks too. The drop is minimal, a little less than an inch.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Update on my previous post. After the dealer replaced the sway bar bushings and strut links, the noise went away for a while and now it is back again as bad as before. Seems like problem is in 08's as well.

Acura, get your head out of your ass and fix the problem.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Advanced

I'm an Acura/Honda enthusiast but all these quality issues are starting to get annoying. It seems like the cars built here in the states just aren't of the same quality as those built in Japan. I never had any problems with my Legend....Damn I miss that car

Quick Reply: 2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension