2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:50 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by undertaker
today Acura reg.case manager called me to set up appointment with my dealer for the fourth time...he said the Acura now has the new struts, they gonna put in my car,I asked if this is 100% new part and he comfirmed that so will see...I will keep you guys posted....
Find out if the rear struts have part # 52611-SEPA-15. If they do it's a waste of your time. That was the "new" # i had put on. It is different than stock but does not solve the problem.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will find out the part number and post it here tommorow,
thanks for the advice George!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by george3761
Find out if the rear struts have part # 52611-SEPA-15. If they do it's a waste of your time. That was the "new" # i had put on. It is different than stock but does not solve the problem.
Anyone else had the same part no. installed ?
If so when did you have it installed ? the reason I ask is I want to check if they tell me the same part no.that means they BSing me....
Old 05-23-2007, 05:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
Is this problem definately the coilover or something around it? I am worried about putting in Eibach Pro springs and having this same problem in the future and not being covered by warranty. If I need to get Koni Yellow shocks to fix the problem, I won't mind. I will be forced to spend the cash I didn't want to spend. BUT no problem if it fixes the problem.

Is this problem the coilovers structure? Thankyou, Jeff D.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:34 AM
2007 TL-S & CBR600RR

Anyone else had the same part no. installed ?
If so when did you have it installed ? the reason I ask is I want to check if they tell me the same part no.that means they BSing me....

52611-SEPA-15

Useless part...would have done nothing to fix the car. George is correct!!
Old 05-23-2007, 05:36 AM
2007 TL-S &amp; CBR600RR

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
Is this problem definately the coilover or something around it? I am worried about putting in Eibach Pro springs and having this same problem in the future and not being covered by warranty. If I need to get Koni Yellow shocks to fix the problem, I won't mind. I will be forced to spend the cash I didn't want to spend. BUT no problem if it fixes the problem.

I'm not sure which one is the problem...and I'm not sure any of us here OR the Dealer's know either.

If you can wait, you'll be better off waiting until the REAL corrective action (TSB) is issued. You can then get it fixed under warranty, then buy the new ones.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:19 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by JD TL-S

As se7en pointed out we don't know what the cause is. Acura is not sure either. I'm told they are aware of the problem and will issue a TSB when they have a fix. 30 to 45 days.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Well, this thread is a swift kick in the @ss.

Just signed for my 2007 TL-S yesterday; picking it up Saturday. I'll have to ask the service dept about problems they've had.

Guess I'll have to drive around the block a couple of time before the 1 1/2 hour drive home too.

Lemon Law here is:
- 4 visits and/or 20 days out of service;
- Applies to items warrantied and report during the 1st 24 months/24,000 miles;
- For items that "substantially impair the value of the motor vehicle to the consumer".

If its a lemon:
- It is my option to have the manufacturer replace the vehicle with a new on or accept it's return;
- Mfg must refund ALL payments, fees, taxes, etc paid, adjusted for actual milage driven upto the 3rd repair attempt or 20 days out of service;
- I must notify the Mfg in writiing of the defect to be eligible for refund or replacement;
- The Mfg has 15 days to correct the defect.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

Hi Guys --

I dont own an acura TL but was thinking about buying an 07 TL-S. I currently own a 2006 Acura RSX Type S. Not sure if you guys know.. but the suspension clunking noise is well known and documented in the RSX (both older and 06' year). I developed the infamous clanking/poping around 4k miles and had it fixed 2x. The first time didnt work.. then they placed dampeners on my struts or suspension and that seem to do the trick. A TSB was eventually announced for the RSX and I brought it in to have it done... still no noise. So this suspension problem is not specific to the TL. It seems to be an acura problem in general. Your sevice techs should be aware of the acura RSX suspension TSB.

Dave
Old 05-26-2007, 07:37 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
So far so good.

Just picked ours up today (TL-S, WDP) and no thump in the trunk.

Asked the service manager about it (after I "got to know him" with a dozen Pro-V1's) and he said they'd had no problems reported with Dampers or Rear Strut Assemblies.

We'll see.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Strut Replacement

Well, the rear struts were replaced with Part #52611-SEP-A15 and a front right strut was replaced with part number 51605-SEP-A15.

I know there have been a few posts that this is a temporary fix till an official TSB is released. I have driven the car 100 miles since replacement, and the clunking-loose bowling ball in the trunk - noise seems to be gone for now. Lets hope this holds up till they release a permanent fix.

The right front strut was replaced as the car would clunk over speed bumps. I have yet to go over a speed bump to see if this fixed the problem.

I will keep an eye on it, as well as keep looking for the official TSB. I will say, the car is driving a whole lot better and a whole lot quieter!

Time at dealer in first 30 days of ownership = 10 days, but i will say the dealer did his very best.

Regards

Viraf
Old 05-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Instructor

I`m goning to leave my car for a service for a 4th time now-acura`s last chance before lemon low.....so it better works...or not...thinking about different color for a change...
I will let you guys know what will happen...so far I know that the part they gonna put in is not a fix ....
Old 06-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Instructor

my dealer called me and said they need few more days before they take the car in....
that means they are not ready ..hm......
I also have a rattleing noise in the dashboard.....great......
Old 06-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Instructor

noise is back

Originally Posted by virafp
Well, the rear struts were replaced with Part #52611-SEP-A15 and a front right strut was replaced with part number 51605-SEP-A15.

I know there have been a few posts that this is a temporary fix till an official TSB is released. I have driven the car 100 miles since replacement, and the clunking-loose bowling ball in the trunk - noise seems to be gone for now. Lets hope this holds up till they release a permanent fix.

The right front strut was replaced as the car would clunk over speed bumps. I have yet to go over a speed bump to see if this fixed the problem.

I will keep an eye on it, as well as keep looking for the official TSB. I will say, the car is driving a whole lot better and a whole lot quieter!

Time at dealer in first 30 days of ownership = 10 days, but i will say the dealer did his very best.

Regards

Viraf
After driving 200 miles, the noise is back. Interestingly, my air pressure in the rear tires was 26 lbs, when i got the car back from the dealer. The rec pressure is 32...Hmmm. Pumped the tires back to 32 lbs, and the noise is more apparent.
I guess I will let Acura know and await the TSB. If a fix is not out in 60 days, i may ask for a new car, without the noise.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Does this make sense?

After driving 200 miles, the noise is back. Interestingly, my air pressure in the rear tires was 26 lbs, when i got the car back from the dealer. The rec pressure is 32...Hmmm. Pumped the tires back to 32 lbs, and the noise is more apparent.
I guess I will let Acura know and await the TSB. If a fix is not out in 60 days, i may ask for a new car, without the noise.
OK, so I get the air pressure back to recommended 32 psi in the rear. The noise is much more apparent. On a whim, I check the spare wheel, and it feels tight. I removed it anyway, and drove the car for a day. The noise is still there, but less!

Looking at the spare, it is a funky design. The rim, sits really far out, and it appears that no matter how well you tighten it down, it still makes a noise in the trunk, because the metal part of the rim, is contacting the base of the trunk. I am going to get some high density foam or rubber, and line the spare tire well, and then give it a try again.

Needless to say, the rear suspension is still noisy, but the spare adds to the clunking sound. Anyone else notice this? Will post again after retrofit with the foam.

Regards

Viraf
Old 06-05-2007, 11:11 AM
2007 TL-S &amp; CBR600RR

Yup! Already been down that road. IMO, it made no noticeable difference.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Intermediate

OK, so I get the air pressure back to recommended 32 psi in the rear. The noise is much more apparent. On a whim, I check the spare wheel, and it feels tight. I removed it anyway, and drove the car for a day. The noise is still there, but less!

Looking at the spare, it is a funky design. The rim, sits really far out, and it appears that no matter how well you tighten it down, it still makes a noise in the trunk, because the metal part of the rim, is contacting the base of the trunk. I am going to get some high density foam or rubber, and line the spare tire well, and then give it a try again.

Needless to say, the rear suspension is still noisy, but the spare adds to the clunking sound. Anyone else notice this? Will post again after retrofit with the foam.

Regards

Viraf
i also tried this, took the spare tire out and stuffed a blanket around the opening in the trunk.... i didn't notice any difference in the noise level
Old 06-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Acura Client Services

I just spoke with client services at Acura - basically the non-emotional position I conveyed to them was either tell me when the fix was coming, or give me a new car. After some consultation with a supervisor, i was informed that a TSB will be out around June 15th, and the dealers will be able to fix the problem starting July 1.

All we can do now is wait and see.......

Viraf
Old 06-06-2007, 12:30 PM
2007 TL-S &amp; CBR600RR

Thanks Virafp. You're persistence and updates are appreciated.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
my car had this problem when i drove it off the lot at 5 miles, they fixed it, worked for about 500 miles then started making noise again. My dealer thinks im crazy! I told them about all the people having this problem and they told me that they have sold alot of Type S models and not one has came back for this problem!! Im gonna call client services tomorrow. I hope they come up with a fix, i wanna lower my car but not untill this problem is fixed!!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Instructor

not true

Originally Posted by Ahmad310
my car had this problem when i drove it off the lot at 5 miles, they fixed it, worked for about 500 miles then started making noise again. My dealer thinks im crazy! I told them about all the people having this problem and they told me that they have sold alot of Type S models and not one has came back for this problem!! Im gonna call client services tomorrow. I hope they come up with a fix, i wanna lower my car but not untill this problem is fixed!!
If the problem was not widespread, they would not be getting ready to release a TSB. Client Services clearly stated that Acura was aware of the problem, and a fix was coming.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:27 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Also just talked to Fred at Client services. Still said end of June to the 1st part of July.
The TSB will come out when they have it solved AND have the parts available.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:13 AM
6th Gear

I, too, have the clunky rear suspension on my brand new Type-S. I picked it up May 1, and a week later I had it back at the dealer to complain about the "clunk in the trunk." I had the same experience as many of you, where the dealer played dumb, acting as if they'd never heard of such a problem. Regardless, they replaced the rear struts. It appeared to be slightly better initially, but after living with it a few days, I realized that it wasn't any better at all. Last week, I called the service consultant I had been dealing with, and she asked me to come back in and go for a test drive with one of the foreman. When I went in this past Tuesday, they called the foreman, who turned out to be the same one I took a test drive with for my initial complaint. As soon as he saw me, he knew why I was back. This time he acknowledged that this is a common problem and there's nothing they can do about it until Acura issues a real fix for it. He said he's replaced a bunch of them, but it hasn't helped, and that he talked to another dealer who's had the same experience. He also talked to Acura and was told to stop replacing struts because it wasn't fixing the problem. Too bad the service consultant couldn't tell me that on the phone, instead of making me waste my time on a visit to the dealer!

To add insult to injury, I have paint peeling on the edge of my front bumper. It's starting in the seam between the bumper wraparound and the front fender, just ahead of the wheel well. A friend who's father owns a body shop said it looks like the surface wasn't prepped correctly before painting. That's pretty scary when you're talking about a factory paint job! The dealer's body shop guy said he's going to have to pull the bumper off and repaint it, which will take a few days. He suggested waiting until the TSB for the struts comes out and having it all done at once. Needless to say, I am not at all a happy camper right now! My car's a month old, and they've already had to tear the rear apart once to replace the struts, now they're going to have to tear the front apart.

This is my 3rd Acura. I had an '01 CL Type-S, an '04 TL 6MT, and now the '07 TL Type-S. The CL had to have the transmission replaced twice in less that 50K miles. Only minor issues with the '04, but now I'm getting off to a horrible start with the '07. As much as I love Acuras, I am really disappointed in the way Acura deals with problems when they arise. It's like pulling teeth to get them to even acknowledge there's a problem, and then they take way too long to find a fix.

I really hope this TSB comes out within the next month as some of you have heard and I can get this issue resolved. But to be honest, I don't know if I can buy another Acura again after all this.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:12 PM
3rd Gear

Angry Another one bites the dust !?

2007 TL-S manufactured in May-07... Same clunking noise noticed within first fews days of ownership. Before even finding out about this wonderful forum, I went back to the salesman and asked to drive a different TL-S. It had pretty much the same sound. I can tell you that I'm just not happy about this purchase right now but you already know that. I'm glad (not really) that others share a similar tale and will wait to see what the fix is going to be. Hopefully in another month or two my car will be the car it should be... About the sound, mine appears to be a "double-clunk" when I drive over a good bump at say 10mph. It is totally unacceptable!!! (The sound is obviously there at other speeds also)

Once again, Thanks for this forum!!
Rhode Island
Old 06-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Instructor

By saying your tire preasure was 26 do you reffer to what cars monitoring tire preasure
said or did you check it yourself withe the tool???
The reason I`m asking this is in my car the system shows (on park before driveing) about 35 psi on all four tires and after few miles drive it even shows 38 or 39 psi!!!
Is this normal or accurate?
Do you guys have the same expirience???
what is the highest preasure meter reading from your cars?
I need to know before I call a dealer ,couse maybe this worsen the noise from struts..
Thank you for any response...
Old 06-08-2007, 06:29 PM
2007 TL-S &amp; CBR600RR

Yup! Tires gain pressure as they heat up! That's why they recommend checking your pressure when the tires are cold. No worries!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Instructor

pressure gain

By saying your tire preasure was 26 do you reffer to what cars monitoring tire preasure
said or did you check it yourself withe the tool???
The reason I`m asking this is in my car the system shows (on park before driveing) about 35 psi on all four tires and after few miles drive it even shows 38 or 39 psi!!!
Is this normal or accurate?
what is the highest preasure meter reading from your cars?
I need to know before I call a dealer ,couse maybe this worsen the noise from struts..
Thank you for any response...
Depending on where you live and the temperature, pressure can go up from 3-6 lbs per tire when hot. I check my pressure with a gauge, but I will say the car's system is pretty accurate.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

I'm one more you can add to the list of the REAR CLUNKING SUSPENSION!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:34 AM
2007 TL-S &amp; CBR600RR

Originally Posted by miclado
I'm one more you can add to the list of the REAR CLUNKING SUSPENSION!!!
...and the list continues to grow!
Old 06-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Intermediate

Just had the left strut replaced - AGAIN...

They also dropped the air pressure in the rear to 29 psi (I'm sure to help hide the noise)

Hopefully someday they will actually get a fix.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Lets hope it's coming

Originally Posted by MD_2007_TLS
Just had the left strut replaced - AGAIN...

They also dropped the air pressure in the rear to 29 psi (I'm sure to help hide the noise)

Hopefully someday they will actually get a fix.
Acura is saying early July...
Old 06-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
add one more to the list
Old 06-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Intermediate

Same here!! I'm lucky enough to have both the "Cluck" problem and "Pinging" problem....
Old 06-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by clttr2002
Same here!! I'm lucky enough to have both the "Cluck" problem and "Pinging" problem....
Can You explain what`s "PINGING? couse I got "CLUCK" so far....
Old 06-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Cluck problem...

I have it too...anybody know the cause?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Instructor

I have it too...anybody know the cause?
https://acurazine.com/forums/money-investing-17/taking-over-someones-payments-161005/

look at what my other problem is in addition to the rear suspension clunking!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Intermediate

The email I sent to my dealership (2 hours away):

There is a clunking sound coming from the rear suspension, and possibly the front as well. I would figure that by this point you or a service manager, may be aware of 07 TL Type S suspension problems/complaints. To make it short, over certain road conditions the rear suspension makes a 'clunking sound'.

There is a great website for Acura TL owners to discuss all the things we love about these cars, and in this case, hate. https://acurazine.com
Over the past few months I have watched the forum rack up discussion over battery problems (such as mine) and suspension problems (such as mine). I'm not too concerned with the battery issue, probably needs a new battery or something, certainly a visit to your dealership can remedy this problem. However, I am very concerned with my suspension, as are others apparently.

Please take the time to view these two links:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/TS/BTS070204.pdf --- This shows that Acura corporate has recognized an issue with the suspension. However, owners who have had the dampers replaced, say that the noise is still there.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/04-supercharged-tl-150981/ --- This is the thread from the Acura Community website which talks about the suspension. If you will forward all the way to the thirteeth (13) page, you can read that the fix recommended by Acura Corporate does not solve the problem.

The response I have received from the dealership: "It will be necessary for you to bring your vehicle in so that our service department can properly diagnose the problem."

So I was hoping for a little more assurance in the response from the dealership, like, recognizing that their is a known issue. Maybe I need to call Acura Corporate and file a complaint before I start driving back and forth to the dealer. Any one know how to reach them?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Instructor

1 800 382 2238 and ask for regional case manager,couse talking to anyone on lower
level will not do you any good.tell them that you got rear susp.problem etc.
it took me two complains to acura rep before they let me speak with reg.case manag.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Intermediate

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158770
Old 06-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
any news yet guys?

Quick Reply: 2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension