2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add another to the list!
Thanks to this website I knew what this awful noise was before I took the car in this morning.
My wife and I bought this TL S-Type and noticed this noise while driving it home from the dealer just last week. We are now driving a nice loaner while awaiting the new struts to be delivered. Having this with a brand new car is very discouraging, but hopefully the replacement struts will make everything okay, and we can finally enjoy the car.
This is our third Acura and second TL. Our first was an Integra that lasted over 340,000 miles, so we'll keep the faith.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NTP66
I dropped my TL-S last night, and just received a call that they replaced the rear struts, so I should be good to go now. When I told them about the problem 2 weeks ago, they [apparently] ordered the struts so that they'd be here when I brought my car in, or so I was told. Either way, that's good customer service, IMO.
just called my service guy and guess what...hes gone, gone as of 4 days ago. they had no idea who i was and why i had been there 3 times. i talked to another guy who seemed very helpful and he said hopefully we can overnight something for you...well we will see how this goes.

it was Davis? right?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NTP66
I dropped my TL-S last night, and just received a call that they replaced the rear struts, so I should be good to go now. When I told them about the problem 2 weeks ago, they [apparently] ordered the struts so that they'd be here when I brought my car in, or so I was told. Either way, that's good customer service, IMO.
just called my service guy and guess what...hes gone, gone as of 4 days ago. they had no idea who i was and why i had been there 3 times. i talked to another guy who seemed very helpful and he said hopefully we can overnight something for you...well we will see how this goes.

it was Davis? right?
Old 01-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Cruisin'

Add another to the list!
Thanks to this website I knew what this awful noise was before I took the car in this morning.
My wife and I bought this TL S-Type and noticed this noise while driving it home from the dealer just last week. We are now driving a nice loaner while awaiting the new struts to be delivered. Having this with a brand new car is very discouraging, but hopefully the replacement struts will make everything okay, and we can finally enjoy the car.
This is our third Acura and second TL. Our first was an Integra that lasted over 340,000 miles, so we'll keep the faith.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:54 AM
2007 TL Type-S

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by drdug27

it was Davis? right?
Wow, that's some awful luck for you. Yes, I brought my car to Davis (where I bought it). After driving it home last night, it was pretty easy to tell that the problem was gone. Everything feels/sounds normal now.

On a side note, I was in and out of there in literally under 5 minutes both times (dropping the car off and getting a loaner, and then picking it up). I'm not used to a service department that's so... good, lol.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Racer

got a call last night my struts were in i am bringing it in feb 15
Old 02-08-2007, 07:02 AM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a really dumb question. Are they actually struts in the rear, or spring/shocks/coilover? Or is strut just another way of saying shock? The only reason I ask is that I normally differentiate between them when discussion front suspensions and to hear of a strut in the rear seems odd to me. I guess generally when I think of a strut, I think of the component that is capable of turning with the wheel.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Cruisin'

Could be that another description is more accurate, however in my paper work from the dealer, they claim to have replaced the "rear struts".
Old 02-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EddieFonz
Unfortunetaly I have the same noise too. I took it in and they're telling me it's normal. "The Type-S is a different suspension and the noise is normal" is what they're telling me. I refuse to believe that.

I'm waiting for a regional case manager to call me back.

Is there anybody in the NYC/LI area that has had this problem fixed?

Any help is appreciated.

-Eddie
Thats a bunch of BS my Type-S doesnt make any noises whatsoever. Its really frustrating when you take your car to the dealership and they tell you every problem that you have is normal or a design problem. Is it just Acura?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i picked up my TL-S last saturday and i noticed the same problem driving home that day from the dealer, but i didnt have the time to go back yet, Im glad to see that its not just me having this problem and I plan to take it in this week. The dealer here has been always been good w/service with my CL-S so i hope they take care of this, as i agree to have this problem on a brand new car is crazy!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:20 PM
5th Gear

Angry

1. Took delivery on 5th
2. Noticed flapping sound in the rear of the car on 8th
3. Took to dealer on 10th. Service is closed.
4. Went back to dealer on 12th. Service says it is a design flaw. Struts are making noise. They call and tell me that they requested HQ to send replacement struts which can temporarily solve the problem. Service informed me that once Acura re-designs the struts, they will call back and replace them again.
5. Still waiting for the car as of today.... 13th...
Old 02-13-2007, 02:34 PM
5th Gear

Angry

Heard some thing like the struts are on back order and they are going to take struts from another vehicle and put it in my car.

Can they do that?
Old 02-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

it's not just with the 07 s type. my 05 has the rear wheel passenger clunk from trunk area. even over small depressions in manholes i hear it. quite annoying with as much as the car costs. it's only on pass side rear for me, drivers doesn't do it. dealer couldnt replicate it so for now i'm s.o.l. there has been numerous posts about it though, with some fix ideas such as loose bolt under rear pass seat. i dont have the time to screw with it now, nor after having a jeep for ten years do i want to start working on another vehicle myself. pisses me off every time i get into the car.

bender
Old 02-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Racer

dropped it off today...they gave me an RDX for a loaner...not bad
Old 02-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Racer

picked it up this morning and the sound has decreased. the service tech. actualy came out and thanked me, he said another TL-s came in with the same problem and they knew exactly what to do. now i will wait for my call from acura and push some free goodies.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by drdug27
picked it up this morning and the sound has decreased. the service tech. actualy came out and thanked me, he said another TL-s came in with the same problem and they knew exactly what to do. now i will wait for my call from acura and push some free goodies.

Did they replace the rear struts? Anything else? You state that the noise has decreased. Our car still makes noises from the rear over the slightest bump, however not nearly as bad before replacing struts. There is still something making a rattle that is very annoying. What is more annoying is having to go back to the dealer again.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by deepvee
Did they replace the rear struts? Anything else? You state that the noise has decreased. Our car still makes noises from the rear over the slightest bump, however not nearly as bad before replacing struts. There is still something making a rattle that is very annoying. What is more annoying is having to go back to the dealer again.
yes they did replace both rear struts, the noise is less but it does seem to still be there. what i need to do is to go for a ride in another s and see if that is truly how loud the suspension is.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:14 AM
8th Gear

I would love to hear the sounds of another type s too. I went to my dealer and they told me my noise was normal. As much as I didn't like that answer, I test drove another brand new Type S, and the noise from the back was even WORSE.

So what is it really supposed to sound like? The slightest bumps make it sound real loud. The rear noise is literally the only thing that's bothering me. I'd call it perfect (maybe I'd complain about the torque steer, but I don't really ever have to go from 0 to 60 in a hurry).

Anyone in the NYC area have a type S I can listen to? Or a type s that has had their rear struts replaced?

Any help is appreciated.
-Eddie
Old 02-18-2007, 12:23 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would love to hear the sounds of another type s too. I went to my dealer and they told me my noise was normal. As much as I didn't like that answer, I test drove another brand new Type S, and the noise from the back was even WORSE.

So what is it really supposed to sound like? The slightest bumps make it sound real loud. The rear noise is literally the only thing that's bothering me. I'd call it perfect (maybe I'd complain about the torque steer, but I don't really ever have to go from 0 to 60 in a hurry).

Anyone in the NYC area have a type S I can listen to? Or a type s that has had their rear struts replaced?

Any help is appreciated.
-Eddie
what acura dealer did you go to in nyc?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:50 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey EddieFonz what dealer did you go to in nyc?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:39 AM
8th Gear

I took mine to Acura of Valley Stream.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Instructor

I took mine to Acura of Valley Stream.

i bought my car also at acura of valley stream.....feels stiff the suspension but nothing that would suggest a problem or wierd noise.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:18 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ABLUETYPES78
i bought my car also at acura of valley stream.....feels stiff the suspension but nothing that would suggest a problem or wierd noise.
Any chance you could let me ride with you for a few minutes? At this point, I have no idea what it's supposed to sound like. Here in Queens (not the best roads in the world), the noise is too obvious.

Thanks.

-Eddie
Old 02-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Any chance you could let me ride with you for a few minutes? At this point, I have no idea what it's supposed to sound like. Here in Queens (not the best roads in the world), the noise is too obvious.

Thanks.

-Eddie
Where in queens are you? Maybe we can meet somewhere. PM me
Old 04-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Instructor

Exclamation rear strouts

Hi guys,I just bought new 2007 tl type s ,monday and tuesday car was at service-clunking noise -bad rear strouts-need to be replaced!!!
car has 63 miles !!!
I called Acura @ 800 number to get some incentive like You guys mentioned obout getting 25000 miles free maint.,but no luck....
Did anyone from Illinois have the same problem and called Acura?
What`s was the result?
If you ware able to get free service please tell who did You deal with?
Thank You very much for any help!!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:25 AM
07typeS

noise

I've checked a couple of dealerships and called the 800 # and they still don't know what I'm talking about concerning the struts. I've noticed that mine is not as bad on small bumps (due to driving a killer 900 miles), but on rough roads, it still makes a clunking/bumping sound, kind of like a strut with a loose connection where it bolts to the car. If we complain enough, we will get a fix.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Advanced

I have an '05 TL that started that noise at 3,000 miles. (I now have 32,000 miles)I took it to the dealer with about 12,000 miles on it after 1 year and was told it was normal. Then Acura Corporate called to ask me how the service was on a 1 to 10 scale. I told them it was a 3. The next morning I got a call from the service manager who wanted to know why I slammed him. I told him not fixing the problem was one thing and giving me BS about it being normal was another. I thought I was through with that dealer (West Chester Acura in PA).

Today I did a search on 'noise' on this site to see if I was the only one with this problem.

I just got off the phone with Acura Client Services and they opened up a case # for this, and told to make another appointment. I was told that the dealer 'has to diagnose the problem'. So I will be back at the dealer until this is issue is resolved. Now, the dealer will be dealing with me from a very different position.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Instructor

My Acura dealer (Illinois) knows about the problem with the strouts-they told me next day they are not good and need to be replaced.According to what others say
this is wide spread problem,I wonder why when I called Acura Client Serv. they said that they are not aware of the problem???
I`m gonna call again and again until they give me incentive...
Old 04-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Advanced

Here is the problem, I bought my new Tl-s and it was in the shop for over 3 weeks. They told me they heard the noise, they changed the struts, shocks and ripped out my whole rear seat. Finally they found out what the problem was. Well the rear bushings were made different for 2007. They had to call California and speak to the engineers that designed the car. They had replaced the struts, upper bushings located on top of the struts. that will take car of the banging noise as you go over bumps. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
Thanks
Old 04-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
Picked up my 2007 Type S on Friday. I very nearly went with the new Infiniti G35x, but the deal didn't end up working out (they couldn't get the exact car I wanted until March). So, I stuck with Acura. My 04 TL was great, and so far I am really happy with the 07 TL-S. Lots of nice upgrades. Except for one thing...

There is something funny going on in the rear suspension. It is very noisy--sounds almost like the spacers were left in from shipping. It makes almost a banging noise, even over the smallest bumps. I bought the car from a dealer 2.5 hours away, and bringing it home this Friday it was two quick turns on to the highway before home, so I didn't notice it at first until I was on regular streets closer to home. Swung by my local dealer who said something definitely was wrong. They put it on the lift and did a quick inspection. Not seeing anything obvious, I have to drop it off Tuesday when they have more time.

Has anyone else experienced this? It is very annoying. Just wonder if anyone else has any hints so I can point the dealer in the right direction.

It is very loud, the car I test drove didn't do this, and it is (fortunately or unfortunately) audible every time you drive over any kind of disturbance in the road.

Thanks.
Here is the problem, I bought my new Tl-s and it was in the shop for over 3 weeks. They told me they heard the noise, they changed the struts, shocks and ripped out my whole rear seat. Finally they found out what the problem was. Well the rear bushings were made different for 2007. They had to call California and speak to the engineers that designed the car. They had replaced the struts, upper bushings located on top of the struts. that will take car of the banging noise as you go over bumps. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
Thanks
Old 04-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Instructor

okey,so I just left my car at the dealer -they got my struts.
Thay said it will be ready tommorow.I will keep you posted if the noise is gone...
Old 04-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by brown598
Thanks
did you call Acura 800 number??
I heard that some guys get free service at Acura up to 25 000 miles...becouse of the struts problem....If you did get some freebies please tell how did you get them,who did you talk to..
thanks...
Old 04-12-2007, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

Chalk up another unhappy customer here. I have had to bring my '07 Type-S in 3 times now for this damn rattling. Everytime I bring it in, they replace a strut, and it will be okay for a few days and then back to rattling again. I am really irritated with this, especially since I moved to Acura because it is a more reliable brand. I wrote a letter describing my disappointment with Acura and gave it to the service manager. They also were getting black fingerprints on my taupe interior and the taupe cloth that lines the ceiling of the car with every service visit. On this last trip, they didn't put the subwoofer back in correctly, so it too would rattle everytime I listened to music.

This whole experience has been horrible so far. My car only has 2,500 miles on it and I don't think I've been able to enjoy a single one. I just want this ordeal to be over and I intend on sending my letter to the "big" Acura as well as calling their Client Services number.

Anyways, no new news to report on the issue -- just wanted to let you all know that this problem seems to be widespread and we should all raise as big a stink over it as possible. This is completely inexcuseable for a new car, period.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Ok,I just picked up my car from the dealer,looks like the noise is gone...
I just drove it for 2 miles so hard to say if its gone for good-hope so!!
Old 04-13-2007, 04:33 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Well my TL-S 2007 has been in twice for the rear clunk. The car has less than 1500 miles on it. First they replaced the struts. Still got the clunk. Second time they replaced the bushings. Still got the clunk.
The dealer has been great. They did this work without batting an eye but what do i do next? I love this car but that noise is driving crazy!
Old 04-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Instructor

ok so after driving a little bit more I still hear the noise but its much less then before...
dealer said they have replaced both struts and bushings...so I dont know what to do now....I guess I will drive it a little more and see what happens...
my car has 550 miles on it!!!
If you find a solution please keep me informed
Old 04-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmcconnell
I have an '05 TL that started that noise at 3,000 miles. (I now have 32,000 miles)I took it to the dealer with about 12,000 miles on it after 1 year and was told it was normal. Then Acura Corporate called to ask me how the service was on a 1 to 10 scale. I told them it was a 3. The next morning I got a call from the service manager who wanted to know why I slammed him. I told him not fixing the problem was one thing and giving me BS about it being normal was another. I thought I was through with that dealer (West Chester Acura in PA).

Today I did a search on 'noise' on this site to see if I was the only one with this problem.

I just got off the phone with Acura Client Services and they opened up a case # for this, and told to make another appointment. I was told that the dealer 'has to diagnose the problem'. So I will be back at the dealer until this is issue is resolved. Now, the dealer will be dealing with me from a very different position.
Well, when the dealer saw Comptech RSB (I think they saw a way out of this), they want me to bring in the original RSB and swap it out, to see if the noise is still there. I think they are going to try and blame this on the Comptech RSB by saying it put additional stress on the shocks.

I remember something to the effect that Acura approves Comptech aftermarket parts and Acura will still honor the warranty with Comptech aftermarket parts.

Does this sound correct or am I off-base here?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by george3761
Well my TL-S 2007 has been in twice for the rear clunk. The car has less than 1500 miles on it. First they replaced the struts. Still got the clunk. Second time they replaced the bushings. Still got the clunk.
The dealer has been great. They did this work without batting an eye but what do i do next? I love this car but that noise is driving crazy!
I just got my Type S back today for the clunking noise in the rear. The technician, service manager and shop forman all heard the noise, but they say it is "a natural characteristic of the Type S with its sports suspension" and therefore they did not replace the struts....i told them about this forum but they said for the struts to be defective they would have to be leaking fluid (which they were not)....what a bunch of BS ... however, it seems fixing them hasn't helped much anyways based on some of the posts i've read
Old 04-14-2007, 02:15 PM
2007 TL Type-S

I'm going out for a test drive on Monday with the service manager. We're going to test my car and another TL-S or two.
I'll let you guys know Monday afternoon what was discovered.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by george3761
dealer said that the bushings come with struts.....they replaced it but the noise is still
there although much less then before repair...
but its not like it should be ....

Quick Reply: 2007 Type S - Noisy Rear Suspension