Sharksbreath's Type-S Progress Thread (Updated 6/3/13)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Hey Sharksbreath can you provide a list of the products you used for the dvd install? Or even a... DIY? I'm looking at having this done and would greatly appreciate your help
Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
DVD player install

-myron & davis AD212 dvd player
-PIE x3 interface and harness (audio)
-doms nav2go interface (video module)
-various RCA cables/speaker wire
-apple composite cables (for iphone/ipod audio/video)
-add a fuse tapped into fuse#32 (acc)
-PAC VA26 video selector
-iSimple (audio for iphone w/ steering wheel controls/nav display)
-(2) rocker switches (1 for dvd player/1 for iphone)
-dremel with cutting blades
-standard tools

first things first, take apart your car. take out cup holders, armrest, gear selector case, and center console cubby holes. you're going to need to get your dremel and cut out quite a bit of the top cubby hole insert in order to fit the dvd player in there. you'll see what i mean when you're looking at it up close...lots of plastic to cut. take your time with this, as you don't want to cut too much and compromise your close down doors.

you'll need to mount the doms nav2go in the tunk into your nav unit. you'll need to run the iSimple cables/various RCAs/apple composite cables from the trunk to the front of the car where you're mounting the DVD player. you'll need to take out your back seats and feed the wires under the carpet and then snake them through into your center arm rest area.

the video selector/PIEx3 all come with directions on how to hook them up. one is a video interface and one is an audio interface. this is how you get your audio/video on the nav screen.

i used gorilla tape to hold down the dvd player onto the cubby hole tray. make sure you can still open/close your cubby door with the dvd player installed.

you are going to run all the POWER for everything (dvd player/video/audio modules) to an add-a-fuse and tap into slot#32 in the fuse box. ground everything else on an existing screw. i think i used the trunk release screw but anyone will suffice.

here is a wiring schematic that should help. it shows you where to route/mount everything.

if you have any other questions or if i've missed anything (it's early...) feel free to PM me
Old 10-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
that is an impressive hand drawn schematic sir.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,015 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Yeah dude...nicely done.
Know what?!? I remember you and you stepfather passing away (rip...) and the corvette story. Totally forgot that was you!

Love that vette show! Awesome!

Also, the black chrome, went down that path back in the day with some VHT...this looks much much better but you'd have to sit it next to the regular chrome to show the difference! The toyota ones that made me want to get this were much darker...makes me think they just sprayed theirs gloss black.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts

Very high quality.
And the full set:
Old 10-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts
That's bad ass dude :thumbup:
Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Damn you're the man. You provided that list and instructions stupidly quick. I'll have to PM you since I have a few other questions but thanks for the quick initial response
Old 10-24-2011, 10:40 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Love that decklip spoiler....
Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by veggiemonster
that is an impressive hand drawn schematic sir.
thanks man. i can't take the credit for that tho, jptl04 provided that for me prior to my install.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Yeah dude...nicely done.
Know what?!? I remember you and you stepfather passing away (rip...) and the corvette story. Totally forgot that was you!

Love that vette show! Awesome!

Also, the black chrome, went down that path back in the day with some VHT...this looks much much better but you'd have to sit it next to the regular chrome to show the difference! The toyota ones that made me want to get this were much darker...makes me think they just sprayed theirs gloss black.
thanks dude. yeah that show was a blast. memories kept flooding back which made it all the better.

Originally Posted by dwb993

Very high quality.
And the full set:
yezzir! dave is the guy who made me realize i wanted the dark chromes and i haven't looked back!

Originally Posted by I are LEGEND
That's bad ass dude :thumbup:

Originally Posted by v|nsan|ty
Damn you're the man. You provided that list and instructions stupidly quick. I'll have to PM you since I have a few other questions but thanks for the quick initial response
no problem, happy to help.

Originally Posted by swoosh
Love that decklip spoiler....
daves spoiler? yeah that piece is hawt!

*update...UR pulley to be installed one day this week...can't wait to feel the difference!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:53 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
I literally just printed this for future reference, thanks! Questions:

- You don't have it illustrated, but I assume to have your iPhone's screen mirrored to the nav screen, you have the Apple composite cable to run to the Dom unit (yellow) to port V2, and the P.I.E. unit (red & white) to port #2, correct?

- with the iSimple in place, do you still have full artist/track info for your XM radio channels? I've heard that you have to sacrifice the XM info if you want the iPod artist/track to display.

Last edited by ebelp; 10-25-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
Black chrome emblems makes me rethink about re-badging my rear lol
Old 10-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ebelp
I literally just printed this for future reference, thanks! Questions:

- You don't have it illustrated, but I assume to have your iPhone's screen mirrored to the nav screen, you have the Apple composite cable to run to the Dom unit (yellow) to port V2, and the P.I.E. unit (red & white) to port #2, correct?

- with the iSimple in place, do you still have full artist/track info for your XM radio channels? I've heard that you have to sacrifice the XM info if you want the iPod artist/track to display.
i drew up this schematic. you could wire it up as you say but....port #2 on the doms unit is designed for the back-up camera. it needs a 12V source (reverse light signal) to trigger the signal from that port to come on the screen. i believe its the blue wire, thats what you would splice into the reverse signal wire. but in your case it would just be a on off switch to a constant 12V source.

i used a video selector switch, from the video "out" on the selector i ran a video cable to port #1 on the doms (nav2go) from the video "in" on the video selector i have the video cable from the apple A/V composite cable and a video cable from the dvd player. then i just select between the two with a switch.

on the audio part, you are correct. port #2 on the p.i.e.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:33 PM
BANNED

Originally Posted by jptl04
i drew up this schematic.
thanks man. i can't take the credit for that tho, jptl04 provided that for me prior to my install.
hey d00d! i gave you credit!

but yeah, ebelp...listen to jptl04.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:40 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Sorry...thank YOU for the schematic, jptl04!

i used a video selector switch, from the video "out" on the selector i ran a video cable to port #1 on the doms (nav2go) from the video "in" on the video selector i have the video cable from the apple A/V composite cable and a video cable from the dvd player. then i just select between the two with a switch.
Okay that makes sense, thanks. I don't ever plan to install a mobile dvd player, my only video source would be my iPhone, so that makes it a lot more simple.

You guys have any idea about my iSimple question?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:43 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Shark, JP thanks for the schematic!! Hey shark it looks like I'll get everything during the winter and we can have an install day in the spring for this. Hopefully I'll have a house by then and I can BBQ it up too!
Old 10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Bone stock tl-s

hey d00d! i gave you credit!

but yeah, ebelp...listen to jptl04.
i know you gave me credit Aaron, thanks i was just reiterating it to ebelp so when i gave him advise he wouldnt be like "who the heck are you?"

and about the XM with isimple Q. if you get the designated harness, you dont lose anything. you get text display for both XM and ipod.

i also sent Aaron a schematic of my set up with the video switcher and stuff. it looks like a damn maze! lol!

Last edited by jptl04; 10-25-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
^ dude Jamie you need to come help me do this mod.... i am a total idiot when it comes to wiring or anything electronic i am good with tools and tweaking on my car but electronics i suck!
Old 10-25-2011, 04:08 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

ii also sent Aaron a schematic of my set up with the video switcher and stuff. it looks like a damn maze! lol!
I love being able to visualize where all the wiring/connections will go before I start a project like this. Having a Slingbox and an iPhone make this project worth every penny.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice gl
Old 10-27-2011, 08:56 PM

Received 9,526 Likes on 6,181 Posts
lulz
Old 10-28-2011, 06:53 AM
BANNED

Sorry...thank YOU for the schematic, jptl04!

Okay that makes sense, thanks. I don't ever plan to install a mobile dvd player, my only video source would be my iPhone, so that makes it a lot more simple.

You guys have any idea about my iSimple question?
mobile DVD player is pretty nice to have...the gf and i took a road trip a few weeks ago and time just flew by. plus it kept her quiet in the passenger seat.

Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
Shark, JP thanks for the schematic!! Hey shark it looks like I'll get everything during the winter and we can have an install day in the spring for this. Hopefully I'll have a house by then and I can BBQ it up too!
very cool! just let me know when that happens, i'll be more than happy to help drink your beer...i mean, install your dvd player.

i know you gave me credit Aaron, thanks i was just reiterating it to ebelp so when i gave him advise he wouldnt be like "who the heck are you?"

and about the XM with isimple Q. if you get the designated harness, you dont lose anything. you get text display for both XM and ipod.

i also sent Aaron a schematic of my set up with the video switcher and stuff. it looks like a damn maze! lol!
haha yeah i can't find that schematic. i know i have it saved somewhere...along with 50 other PM's.

again, thanks for all the help. i'm still in the process of figuring out how to incorporate headphones with the dvd player...i'll let you know how that pans out.

Originally Posted by murph145
^ dude Jamie you need to come help me do this mod.... i am a total idiot when it comes to wiring or anything electronic i am good with tools and tweaking on my car but electronics i suck!
lol i'm the exact same way. i'll turn wrenches all day long but i'm a complete electronic tard.

I love being able to visualize where all the wiring/connections will go before I start a project like this. Having a Slingbox and an iPhone make this project worth every penny.
hell yeah. pictures speak volumes. they always help me get projects done.

Originally Posted by jdmsquad12
nice gl
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
lulz

alright, got the UR lightweight stock pulley installed last night thanks to vlad's DIY in the garage.

idk why i was stressing about this install so much, it literally took me and a buddy 1/2 hour tops. we didn't even have to take off the motor mount. everything went smooth and i can def feel a difference in power. car feels lighter on its feet, seems to rev quicker and pull harder/longer. money well spent.

out with the old...

in with the new...

also did some interior design work...

still a bit rough around the edges, i need to make a few more solid cuts to get it perfect.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 AM

Received 9,526 Likes on 6,181 Posts
Da dopeness

Every time I open your thread, of course I'm taken to the first page, but I look at your plans when you first got the car. CF hood and little shit like that and look at your car now. Acurazine is a bitch isn't it?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Da dopeness

Every time I open your thread, of course I'm taken to the first page, but I look at your plans when you first got the car. CF hood and little shit like that and look at your car now. Acurazine is a bitch isn't it?
haha yeah acurazine will be the death of me...but i'm having fun on the way there.

here's a copy and paste from my first post in august of last year.

-tint CHECK
-led lighting throughout CHECK
-custom cf headlights/cf tails CHECK
-cf hood CHECK
-dvd player CHECK
-navi hack
-koni yellows w/ h&r springs CHECK (megans)

-new wheels/tires CHECK
-aem v2 cai CHECK
-ur pulley CHECK
-mm delete w/ dynomax res
-rv6 v3 jpipe CHECK
-atlp quad exhaust CHECK (xlr8 quads)

running redline d4/racing ATF fluid CHECK
running redline 5w-30 synthetic oil w/ royal purple filter CHECK

...and omgz so much more. when does it end? i'm thinking about totaling up an itemized list like you did...and then slitting my wrists.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:42 AM

thinking about the UR pulley as well.. might have to take a trip to BMORE and have it installed with ur buddy
Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by Twisdit
thinking about the UR pulley as well.. might have to take a trip to BMORE and have it installed with ur buddy
that's cool with me, just let me know when you get your hands on one.

oh and my buddy's place is in PA, near felton.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:23 AM

damn.. nvm. too far haha
Old 10-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Originally Posted by murph145
Justin just let me know when you're down. i'll help you out anyway i can.

shark.....damn dude you remind me of myself with all these mods youre doing. one after another. take time to enjoy each one. dont do like me and go mod crazy in 2 years. i did so many that i had to start inventing mods to do. i was sick. i had this disease called "icantstopmodding-itis"
The following users liked this post:
mrlal8 (10-29-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 09:37 AM
BANNED

Justin just let me know when you're down. i'll help you out anyway i can.

shark.....damn dude you remind me of myself with all these mods youre doing. one after another. take time to enjoy each one. dont do like me and go mod crazy in 2 years. i did so many that i had to start inventing mods to do. i was sick. i had this disease called "icantstopmodding-itis"
i too, carry the same disease. i was diagnosed with "icantstopmodding-itis" last year...ironically about a day after i purchased the TL-S. i feel like there should be a support group for people like us. i'll look into it and see what i come up with. thanks for sharing your story, i'm glad to know i'm not the only one out there dealing with this debilitating condition.

couldn't sleep last night, the sickness was getting to me and i had to take action.

grab your tools. vinyl, razor blade, hair dryer.

cut vinyl to size

heat up vinyl, work it onto the piece, heat some more, apply pressure and wrap/cut excess.

comparison shot. new VS old. i'll be finishing it up this afternoon and working on some other interior parts. namely, steering wheel pieces.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Di-Noc might be my favorite of all the mods I've done (which is about 5). Mor pics plz..
Old 10-29-2011, 10:15 AM
MATT

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
^^i really dont care for that c/f wrap although im sure its very cost effective...looks like you did a nice job with it though...are those trim pieces very expensive to just replace? as im typing this though im thinking wait they would just wear again just as quick as the first time
Old 10-29-2011, 10:28 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by cjTL
Di-Noc might be my favorite of all the mods I've done (which is about 5). Mor pics plz..
will do buddy. it's snowing here pretty good so idk how much i can get done today...my garage is packed with crap so i can't get the TL under a roof.

Originally Posted by 06cmv6
^^i really dont care for that c/f wrap although im sure its very cost effective...looks like you did a nice job with it though...are those trim pieces very expensive to just replace? as im typing this though im thinking wait they would just wear again just as quick as the first time
hey, to each their own. i'm using a combination of the standard BLACK carbon fiber & a GUNMETAL/GRAPHITE carbon fiber for alternating/contrasting pieces. sort'of like what member DeathMetal did with his interior.

i'll have to get some full shots and try and change your mind!

oh and my garnish pieces are in perfect condition, i'm just wrapping a bunch of interior parts atm.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,015 Likes on 14,518 Posts
ummm....those side sill garnishes for the center console are $176 per side. WTF...

PS...got some brushed aluminum vinyl, myself, in the mail today. Stay tuned...

perfectly orchestrated, as usual SB.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Bone stock tl-s

ummm....those side sill garnishes for the center console are $176 per side. WTF...

Nice I've been waiting for someone to get the brushed aluminum vinyl. Take some good close ups of the parts you do. Yeah, some trim peices are dirt cheap while others are really expensive.

SB, I did those steering wheel trims in do-noc a while ago. Before I totally "de-di-noc'ed" my interior. But I had completely removed them from the wheel. I did them during the time I had sent my stock wheel to be custom rewrapped. They were easy to do off the car. Can't wait to see your results.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:01 PM
BANNED

thanks man. good luck with your mod as well!

Nice I've been waiting for someone to get the brushed aluminum vinyl. Take some good close ups of the parts you do. Yeah, some trim peices are dirt cheap while others are really expensive.

SB, I did those steering wheel trims in do-noc a while ago. Before I totally "de-di-noc'ed" my interior. But I had completely removed them from the wheel. I did them during the time I had sent my stock wheel to be custom rewrapped. They were easy to do off the car. Can't wait to see your results.
good to hear. the pieces on the steering wheel just come off with a T-30 bit, right? is it an involved process or is it just that one screw on the left hand side behind the wheel?
Old 10-29-2011, 12:12 PM
under renovations....

Hey shark hope this helps... Notice how I split the pattern on the piece where the type s emblem is.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:19 PM
under renovations....

Also watch how you pull the wheel off I broke the band on mine when I though I unplugged everything it just yanked out and snapped. So be careful
Old 10-29-2011, 02:01 PM
UA6 SSM TL

Received 106 Likes on 103 Posts
^that's dope
Old 10-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
good to hear. the pieces on the steering wheel just come off with a T-30 bit, right? is it an involved process or is it just that one screw on the left hand side behind the wheel?
Somewhat incorrect---the Torx screws hold the airbag in place. Once they are removed, you can get to the screws for the buttons/trim pieces.
Check the DIY for replacing the wheel lights with LEDs in the 3G Garage by DM and myself. Think about replacing those OEM bulbs while you have it all apart---you will need T3 LED bulbs and a 12V voltage regulator.
Biggest items to note are #1) Be sure to disconnect the battery and fully discharge the airbag system. #2) Make sure your Torx bit fits the screw completely---you do not want to strip the heads. #3) Handle the airbag very carefully. Disconnect and unmount it and set it down gently OUTSIDE of the vehicle.
Snow in October FTMFL.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Bone stock tl-s

im pretty sure to remove those trims the wheel has to come off the car. they are screwed in from behind
Old 10-29-2011, 03:51 PM
under renovations....

Here ya go

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/f-168-steering-wheel-removal-763962/

Quick Reply: Sharksbreath's Type-S Progress Thread (Updated 6/3/13)