Sharksbreath's Type-S Progress Thread (Updated 6/3/13)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
you didnt have to drop the subframe to install the pulley? I have been wanting to get the type s front sway bar and the lightweight pulley but someone said for the install i have to drop the subframe
Old 10-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Nice pics in that thread, Cuban. For the trim pieces, the whole wheel does not have to come off. I can speak from experience on 04-06 models. For 07-08, while I have not actually seen them, I would imagine it is the same. Pull the airbag to get to the screws. There may be screws coming in from the back of the wheel which require a small Phillips screwdriver to remove--there are on my 06.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:58 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by dwb993
Nice pics in that thread, Cuban. For the trim pieces, the whole wheel does not have to come off. I can speak from experience on 04-06 models. For 07-08, while I have not actually seen them, I would imagine it is the same. Pull the airbag to get to the screws. There may be screws coming in from the back of the wheel which require a small Phillips screwdriver to remove--there are on my 06.
Thanks That was when I was swapping wheels to the carbon wheel. I just put that up as reference for Shark. It's easier to take it all apart to di-noc it.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,015 Likes on 14,518 Posts
SB, is that 3M dinoc?!??!

the brushed aluminum was a waste of my time...1st off...it was shiny so it clashed with the interior. It was super thin...so showed every crease I put in it...didn't stick well so wouldn't grip the back of the garnishes when I wrapped it around.

What a waste of an hour and a half.

ON ONE SIDE.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Sharkie-I like the new mods. Tell me more about the UR Pulley-I've been contemplating this mod for years. But I've read the countless threads about how it wreaks havoc on the internal balancing of the engine. I thought I would wait for a while, but I drove Buda's TL-he has the UR Pulley...WOW !!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:07 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Yeah I've been contemplating doing the pulley to especially with a sound system in the works I don't want anything messed up.

On another note what'll help bond the di-noc better is to clean the surface with alcohol and if you plan on doing it on rough surfaces you might want to use a 3m spray adhesive to help bond it better
Old 10-29-2011, 09:00 PM
HI HATER i love you to.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
looking good bro......
Old 10-29-2011, 10:25 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
damn you on a rolll.....
Old 10-30-2011, 11:58 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
Also watch how you pull the wheel off I broke the band on mine when I though I unplugged everything it just yanked out and snapped. So be careful
thanks for the heads up and thanks for the pic. gave me some motivation.

Originally Posted by 24no7
^that's dope
veddy nice veddy nice...

Somewhat incorrect---the Torx screws hold the airbag in place. Once they are removed, you can get to the screws for the buttons/trim pieces.
Check the DIY for replacing the wheel lights with LEDs in the 3G Garage by DM and myself. Think about replacing those OEM bulbs while you have it all apart---you will need T3 LED bulbs and a 12V voltage regulator.
Biggest items to note are #1) Be sure to disconnect the battery and fully discharge the airbag system. #2) Make sure your Torx bit fits the screw completely---you do not want to strip the heads. #3) Handle the airbag very carefully. Disconnect and unmount it and set it down gently OUTSIDE of the vehicle.
Snow in October FTMFL.
thanks for the tips, dave. maybe we can do this mod together at some point. the dinoc and LED bulb swap.

Originally Posted by jptl04
im pretty sure to remove those trims the wheel has to come off the car. they are screwed in from behind
thanks!

Originally Posted by mrlal8
you didnt have to drop the subframe to install the pulley? I have been wanting to get the type s front sway bar and the lightweight pulley but someone said for the install i have to drop the subframe
idk who told you that but you def don't have to drop the subframe. go read vlad's DIY in the garage. i pretty much followed that, except i didn't remove the motor mount and i just used a breaker bar with a heavy duty extension to pop loose the pulley bolt. used air tools to re-install the UR pulley. it's a very easy install with the right tools.

Thanks That was when I was swapping wheels to the carbon wheel. I just put that up as reference for Shark. It's easier to take it all apart to di-noc it.
yeah i think it'll be easier to have everything apart too...i'm gonna read up on that DIY thread you made and make sure it gets done right. thanks guys.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
SB, is that 3M dinoc?!??!

the brushed aluminum was a waste of my time...1st off...it was shiny so it clashed with the interior. It was super thin...so showed every crease I put in it...didn't stick well so wouldn't grip the back of the garnishes when I wrapped it around.

What a waste of an hour and a half.

ON ONE SIDE.
bummer, J!

yeah i'm using the 3M stuff. it's thick, easy to work with, and stretches well to get rid of unsightly creases and bubbles. i love the stuff...i'm pretty sure you can get it in whatever color you want, if you don't like the CF look.

and yeah this stuff takes forever to work with, it'll get easier. it took me about 45 mins to wrap the first side garnish...and about 30 mins to wrap the other. you'll get faster the more you do.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Sharkie-I like the new mods. Tell me more about the UR Pulley-I've been contemplating this mod for years. But I've read the countless threads about how it wreaks havoc on the internal balancing of the engine. I thought I would wait for a while, but I drove Buda's TL-he has the UR Pulley...WOW !!!!!
thanks, mr. bell!

so far i'm loving the pulley, i honestly do notice a difference in power...and the weight difference is astounding. i've never read anything about internal balancing issues, i hope i don't run into any problems.

Yeah I've been contemplating doing the pulley to especially with a sound system in the works I don't want anything messed up.

On another note what'll help bond the di-noc better is to clean the surface with alcohol and if you plan on doing it on rough surfaces you might want to use a 3m spray adhesive to help bond it better
well this is the stock size UR pulley, not the smaller diameter one so you won't underdrive any of your accessories.

and yeah good advice on the di-noc...alcohol is a must...and heat!

Originally Posted by Carlitos30
looking good bro......
Originally Posted by swoosh
damn you on a rolll.....
thanks guys!

finished some more interior pieces...

still have to wrap the door handle part and the window button area.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
oh ok cool thanks
I have a 10 inch alpine type R and 500 watt amp to power it...how would the pulley affect that?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
i like the gunmetal cF
Old 10-30-2011, 06:09 PM

oh ok cool thanks
I have a 10 inch alpine type R and 500 watt amp to power it...how would the pulley affect that?
a stock sized aftermarket pulley wont affect that at all.....

an underdrive pulley will affect it as it "underdrives" the components....
Old 10-31-2011, 07:14 AM
BANNED

oh ok cool thanks
it wont affect it whatsoever.

i like the gunmetal cF
thanks, dave. i like it a lot too...came out real well.

a stock sized aftermarket pulley wont affect that at all.....

an underdrive pulley will affect it as it "underdrives" the components....
correct!

...this is why i couldn't get much else done this weekend. snow before halloween? are you kidding me?

Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 AM

^^^must be "El Nino".
lol....nicely done, sir. I guess if i ever do decide to wrap...I'll go with the quality stuff. the CF looks great on yours actually.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Dude I felt the rath of the storm to in NJ such a joke we had a lot of trees fall over here how did MD come out
Old 11-01-2011, 08:12 AM
BANNED

^^^must be "El Nino".
lol....nicely done, sir. I guess if i ever do decide to wrap...I'll go with the quality stuff. the CF looks great on yours actually.
ugh...i hate snow. i want to move back to NC.

yeah the CF is super easy to work with, and like i said...many diff colors to choose from.

Originally Posted by sourial84
Dude I felt the rath of the storm to in NJ such a joke we had a lot of trees fall over here how did MD come out
yeah it wasn't real bad in MD...and i'm totally fine with that.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 AM

Ha...want to move to NC!?!!? Try coming to South Florida...sun is out...it's 80 degrees...still in shorts and t shirts. Crazy...it's like we live on different planets.

Only thing I wrapped in CF was my Type S diffusers and it was black CF and that went on EASY!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
it wont affect it whatsoever.

thanks, dave. i like it a lot too...came out real well.

correct!

...this is why i couldn't get much else done this weekend. snow before halloween? are you kidding me?

Wow...We barely got a dusting here
Old 11-01-2011, 11:09 AM
BANNED

Ha...want to move to NC!?!!? Try coming to South Florida...sun is out...it's 80 degrees...still in shorts and t shirts. Crazy...it's like we live on different planets.

Only thing I wrapped in CF was my Type S diffusers and it was black CF and that went on EASY!
south florida you say...? can i crash on your couch until i get back on my feet?

Originally Posted by ChrisJ
Wow...We barely got a dusting here
yeah we got a good 6-8" where i live...didn't last long though. sun melted most of it by the following day.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
yeah we got a good 6-8" where i live...didn't last long though. sun melted most of it by the following day.
Thats crazy...I would have got a day off work for that...
Old 11-01-2011, 11:27 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by ChrisJ
Thats crazy...I would have got a day off work for that...

yeah it's too bad it had to happen over the weekend (i was already off work)

FED-EX just delivered a new toy...

Old 11-01-2011, 02:05 PM

a lower back temporary tatto of justin bieber?

I give up!

Sure, if you cand handle dog hair...the couch is all yours.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 PM
MATT

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
^^^hahaa nice jeremy....sad you have to take those nice wheels off you just got already
Old 11-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
yeah it's too bad it had to happen over the weekend (i was already off work)

FED-EX just delivered a new toy...

Aaron, you sicken me....If only I had this kinda disposable income...my wife is talking about kids lately....they're a lot harder to mod and a lot more expensive...your turn will come too my friend...
Old 11-02-2011, 07:44 AM
BANNED

a lower back temporary tatto of justin bieber?

I give up!

Sure, if you cand handle dog hair...the couch is all yours.
how did you know i had bieber fever?

yeah man i can handle dog hair, 2 goldens at home convinced me it was ok to live with/deal with/clean up daily.

Originally Posted by 06cmv6
^^^hahaa nice jeremy....sad you have to take those nice wheels off you just got already
who me? yeah the winter wheels get mounted today...sigh.

Originally Posted by BigPZ
Aaron, you sicken me....If only I had this kinda disposable income...my wife is talking about kids lately....they're a lot harder to mod and a lot more expensive...your turn will come too my friend...
no shit! why the hell do you think i'm doing all of this now...? i know that when i tie the knot, it becomes "our money". at that point, i'll cut of my balls and keep them in a mason jar under the fridge.

right now it's my time!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:15 AM

^^^ "our money" you are very optimistic my friend....

its all gonna be "her money" LOL
Old 11-07-2011, 07:30 AM
BANNED

^^^ "our money" you are very optimistic my friend....

its all gonna be "her money" LOL
yeah i know...

alright so i was bored over the weekend and decided to do a project i'd been putting off for a while.

CF wrap the silver trim piece and BLACK vinyl wrap the rear garnish to match the NBP paint.

remove it. get your gear. get started.

...now this big bastard has to get wrapped.

i needed to figure out a way to expose the reverse light lenses...so i improvised.

grab your black vinyl, heat'r up!

...finished product coming soon to a progress thread near you.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:07 AM

Hmmm...
well, maybe the carbon fiber one is different, but what I found when I attempted is that it's got a very short work time...like...I hit it with the heat gun and it would get soft for a second and would be hard again right away.
I switched to hairdryer but that took way too long to get it workable. I think the carbon fiber stuff is probably a lot easier.

Can't wait to see...
Old 11-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
todays pictures have my full attention
Old 11-07-2011, 08:15 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i think i know what your new toy might be (though i keep looking at the box...i'm probably wrong) ...but very nicely done...i'll actually be able to see all the CF whoring you've done this sunday! seriously, it looks great!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 AM
BANNED

Hmmm...
well, maybe the carbon fiber one is different, but what I found when I attempted is that it's got a very short work time...like...I hit it with the heat gun and it would get soft for a second and would be hard again right away.
I switched to hairdryer but that took way too long to get it workable. I think the carbon fiber stuff is probably a lot easier.

Can't wait to see...
yeah i think a heat gun is too powerful for the vinyl...hair dryer works much better.

which part were you having trouble wrapping?

Originally Posted by veggiemonster
todays pictures have my full attention
finalized pics won't be for a few days. i'm heading to a custom vinyl shop on my lunch break today and i'm having them laser cut some stuff for me. hopefully i'll have finished pics by the end of the week.

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
i think i know what your new toy might be (though i keep looking at the box...i'm probably wrong) ...but very nicely done...i'll actually be able to see all the CF whoring you've done this sunday! seriously, it looks great!
care to wager a guess?

yeah sunday should be a good time! i'm lookin' forward to it...hopefully we have decent weather.

oh yeah i picked up that floor jack from HB...thanks again for the linky! they had jack stands too, but they weren't on sale so i'm still looking for a set...let me know if you come across anything cheaper than $35 a pair.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:32 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
what do i get if i guess right? weather is clear and sunny for sunday! woo hoo! clear and sunny for my saturday "fun" run too. keep a look out for the HF coupons...sometimes they have 20% off coupons too. check their website or ads. i'll pass along anything that hops in my mailbox.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:42 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
what do i get if i guess right? weather is clear and sunny for sunday! woo hoo! clear and sunny for my saturday "fun" run too. keep a look out for the HF coupons...sometimes they have 20% off coupons too. check their website or ads. i'll pass along anything that hops in my mailbox.
if you guess right you get to help with the install.

i just checked the weather too...lookin' awesome!

good luck on your "fun" run...that takes some serious dedication.

and yeah drop me a line if you find any sweet deals, thanks!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:51 AM

Harbor Freight?!?! They have KILLER deals! In the meantime, just use bricks as jackstands...or your stock wheels! Did you get the low profile aluminum racing jack?! i think I paid $120 at pepboys...but they have it on sale for $70 a lot I think.

About the vinyl it was the convex shape of the side sills on the center console. Made it REALLY hard for me to wrap around. Ended up sanding it down and made my own brushed aluminum. Check out my thread!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 9,528 Likes on 6,183 Posts
Aaron that's going to look great dude! In for finished/installed pics
Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 AM

in for the finished product....

the CF wrap looks DOPE btw !!!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts

finalized pics won't be for a few days. i'm heading to a custom vinyl shop on my lunch break today and i'm having them laser cut some stuff for me. hopefully i'll have finished pics by the end of the week.

interesting you mention this. i'm trying to find a pre cut vinyl set for myself. because i am lazy.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Are you gonna wrap the black chrome trim on the license plate area? If so I'll trade you my trim piece with you + cash . I want the black chrome piece to match my type-s grill.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:04 PM
BANNED

Harbor Freight?!?! They have KILLER deals! In the meantime, just use bricks as jackstands...or your stock wheels! Did you get the low profile aluminum racing jack?! i think I paid $120 at pepboys...but they have it on sale for $70 a lot I think.

About the vinyl it was the convex shape of the side sills on the center console. Made it REALLY hard for me to wrap around. Ended up sanding it down and made my own brushed aluminum. Check out my thread!
hell yeah d00d, i love harbor freight.

yeah the side sills are tricky, patience is absolutely key!

i saw your thread, forgot to comment...they turned out good man!

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Aaron that's going to look great dude! In for finished/installed pics
thanks, tyler. jealous of your SEMA trip...

looked like a lot of fun man.

in for the finished product....

the CF wrap looks DOPE btw !!!
thanks! hope to have it finished by this weekend.

Originally Posted by veggiemonster
interesting you mention this. i'm trying to find a pre cut vinyl set for myself. because i am lazy.
hopefully i can help some. the area i'm having cut is very small/minimal...but absolutely necessary for this mod IMO.

Originally Posted by turtlecivic
Are you gonna wrap the black chrome trim on the license plate area? If so I'll trade you my trim piece with you + cash . I want the black chrome piece to match my type-s grill.
already wrapped it man, see the pics above?

we can still trade i suppose...i'll just need to re-wrap it. we'll discuss at the meet.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 PM

True, just remembered you had commented. Yeah, patience is one thing...but that brushed aluminum vinyl I got was SUPER unforgiving...once you put a wrinkle in it, it would stay...

Quick Reply: Sharksbreath's Type-S Progress Thread (Updated 6/3/13)