Sharksbreath's Type-S Progress Thread (Updated 6/3/13)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 03:39 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
love the heel toe's dark chrome emblem!

I think it's more noticeable on white cars though..
Old 10-12-2011, 09:25 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by veggiemonster
jesus your car is gorgeous. i had a question for you but now i forgot looking at the pictures....
let me know if you think of it...

Originally Posted by EBC 9
Nice nbp enjoy it!
everyday.

Originally Posted by dwb993
Jeez!
you know you're down for it!

Originally Posted by Schweinsteiger11
The puddle lights look really cool I think. I installed on my TL and am really happy with how they turned out. Much classier look than just the average under glow. I do have to fix mine though because a few of the wires disconnected.
thanks for the encouragment!

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
In for pics of puddle light install tonight heheh
It's gonna be epic.
EPIC!!!

Originally Posted by jptl04
Thanks man....I'm glad I have inspired a few members on here to take modding just a little further.

Dude!!! I just seen the concealed display install... Definitely clean! I like it. You have balls to cut up the dash like that! Props! Came out really nice. Something way different than mine. People always hit me up and ask "whats that gauge pod for?" when tell them they trip out and say "wow! It looks stock!" I need to keep an eye on you man!! Awesome job. Anytime you have a question or need advise on any mods hit me up. I stil have some crazy ideas left in this head of mine.

Btw. I was reading your system build thread. they sell synthetic C/F cloth vinyl. I have some in my trunk on the trim panels of my amps and 3sixty. Looks and feels real.
waddup jamie!? thanks for stopping by!

yeah it was real nerveracking dremeln' into the dash...but it all turned out well in the end. i just took my time, like with anything else...patience is your best friend when doing stuff like this (as you know). i'll def be PM'ing you about a few things here and there. thanks for letting me know about the CF cloth...i just may go that route.

Originally Posted by 24no7
From further away. I would like to see how well the antenna flows with the tl. where did you get the shark antenna from btw?
i'll get some more shots for you. i got it off eBay.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Puddle lights with buttons...hmmm.

OK, let's see them!
keep on scrolling...

Originally Posted by ILLustriousUA6
love the heel toe's dark chrome emblem!

I think it's more noticeable on white cars though..
thanks man. i really like it too...but i agree, lighter colored cars will pull it off better. i got it bc they match my wheels pretty well.

alright so here are some pics from my install last night and into today...that's right...into today.

started at 6pm and finished at MIDNIGHT!

lots of wires to run, measuring, drilling, measuring again, making sure everything is lined up evenly, finding an entry point into the car, finding a 12v source to tap into, snaking wires, running wires, removing panels...sigh.

here we go.

get your puddle lights

remove side skirts

measure, line up spots to drill, drill holes.

connect all the lights with one another in unison, tighten down, elec. tape, duct tape wires to skirts.

reinstall side skirts and find an entry point on each side of the car. i chose to go behind the front fender well on each side of the car and snake the + and - wires into the car.

remove upper map light console completely (that was fun to figure out...)...snake wires up the side pillars and press into headliner w/ the ends of the wires sticking through the map light console.

you'll need this...

splice both map lights (+ and -) and solder the (+ and -) wires from the puddle lights into your map lights.

re-install everything and go outside to take pictures...

everything worked out as expected, it just took a long time. they look great in person and i'm very happy with the outcome. puddle lights turn on when i lock/unlock the car AND whenever i have the map lights on. it's pretty cool bc they will fade out just like the map lights do inside the car. i will eventually wire in a rocker switch to control the puddle's on thier own circuit...i just ran out of time yesterday.

i'll get some better pics soon, all i had was my iphone.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
AMAZING JOB WITH THE PUDDLE LIGHTS!!!! Looks Great!!

Originally Posted by SharksBreath

oh noes! don't show the significant other! never bodes well for future mods!

guy : "look babe, look what this guy did to his..."
girl : "meh...i don't get it."
guy : "well, see blahbida blahbida herp derp wheels and they only cost $2,000"
girl : "i want a divorce."
guy :
It's not that I showed her purposely...she walked in while I was on the computer and asked "Why are you looking at pics of your car"? I told her that it was obviously not mine because differences X Y and Z...The funniest thing is that she replied, "is that the guy from Baltimore who sent you those shirts"???

Last edited by BigPZ; 10-12-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
well idk about before, but i have one now

the puddle lights, is there a way to 'diffuse' them to get the 'orbs' of light to sort of blend together? i once again got lost after picture 3-5 LOL
Old 10-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
^^You may be able to frost the lenses with sandpaper, but it kind of defeats the purpose. Puddle lights should shine in that 0-0-0-0-0 pattern you see. If you want the diffused light, go with underbody lighting (though not necessarily neon).

BTW, those turned out really nice, Aaron. You just added something to my list, too.

Not sure what you meant by "splice both map lights". Do you have the left side spliced to the left light and vice versa? If so, then you will have to use the master light switch to turn them both on, or you could turn one side on by pressing the individual light, right? (Not sure why you would do that, but ok)

We'll also have to see how durable they are.

Last edited by dwb993; 10-12-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Good work! I like it.
Makes me want to pursue puddle lights or something similar.

Is there a way to have the puddle lights only come on when doors are open or the doors get locked/unlock? Essentially bypassing the dome lights? ['cause what if you wanted the dome lights on but not the puddle lights?]
Old 10-12-2011, 12:37 PM
BANNED

Originally Posted by BigPZ
AMAZING JOB WITH THE PUDDLE LIGHTS!!!! Looks Great!!

It's not that I showed her purposely...she walked in while I was on the computer and asked "Why are you looking at pics of your car"? I told her that it was obviously not mine because differences X Y and Z...The funniest thing is that she replied, "is that the guy from Baltimore who sent you those shirts"???
thanks, joe.

thats funny as shit!

well idk about before, but i have one now

the puddle lights, is there a way to 'diffuse' them to get the 'orbs' of light to sort of blend together? i once again got lost after picture 3-5 LOL
what do you mean? like one long strand of light?

^^You may be able to frost the lenses with sandpaper, but it kind of defeats the purpose. Puddle lights should shine in that 0-0-0-0-0 pattern you see. If you want the diffused light, go with underbody lighting (though not necessarily neon).

BTW, those turned out really nice, Aaron. You just added something to my list, too.

Not sure what you meant by "splice both map lights". Do you have the left side spliced to the left light and vice versa? If so, then you will have to use the master light switch to turn them both on, or you could turn one side on by pressing the individual light, right? (Not sure why you would do that, but ok)

We'll also have to see how durable they are.
thanks dave. yeah i spliced the left side into the left map light and the right side into the right map light to keep both sides separate from one another. if i have an issue with these, i'll know where it comes from. these seem to be of great quality, you can check them out in a few weeks.

and yes, i can use the master map light switch to turn them on from inside the car. there is no other choice available to me UNLESS i wanted to wire them to a rocker switch (which i will do eventually)...but still not sure how i'll even pull that off. i'd need to take the + and - from both sides of the car (4 wires) and turn them into 2 wires to hook up to a switch. even then, certain issues arise. will i be able to use my map lights w/out the puddles? or will i need to press the rocker switch to enable/disable? or will i need more than one switch? testing continues...

the idea is to press unlock/lock from your keyfob and have them turn on in unision with your interior lights...so that everthing lights up at the same time and fades out at the same time. there is literally nothing else to splice them into. i was thinking about doing the front side marker...

...but then realized that the puddle's would be on whenever my headlights were on lol...no can do. "hey cop, pull me over please!"

Originally Posted by o4Komodo
Good work! I like it.
Makes me want to pursue puddle lights or something similar.

Is there a way to have the puddle lights only come on when doors are open or the doors get locked/unlock? Essentially bypassing the dome lights? ['cause what if you wanted the dome lights on but not the puddle lights?]
not that i know of bc you have to tap into something in your car that DOES turn on when you hit unlock/lock...the map lights are the only thing that do that besides your sidemarkers/parking lights and you can't use them because you can't drive around at night with these puddles on unless you feel like getting a ticket.

^runonsentenceFTMFW.

i was thinking about making something to COVER up the front dome lights, so that if i want to drive around with them on i wont be blinded by the light.

Last edited by SharksBreath; 10-12-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:12 PM
UA7 NBP TL-S

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Good work on the puddles.. Took me about same time
I do know what you mean by running wires, measure, measure again and making sure everything aligns, I had mine installed year ago, got sick of them after a while, decided to unplug em..
btw you didnt have to run a wire all the way to the map lights, there is a dome light supervision wire for that at rear of fuse box the drivers kick panel, (-) green/red wire in a green 5 pin plug. somewhat hard to get to at first but when you tap into it you dont have to take apart center map light console, etc. the puddles came on when the car was unlocked with a remote... and whenever I opened any door, and used my map lights whenever i wanted without having the puddles come on

Last edited by vladkarnafel; 10-12-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:22 PM
BANNED

^jackpot. thank you!

can you send me a picture of the area you are referring to?

if it's not too much trouble...
Old 10-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Drifting

sorta. like the underglow is the full bar, and these appear to be like a flashlight. i'm wondering if you could do some sort of lamp shade type dealio that would sorta blend the lights with eachother?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:31 PM
UA7 NBP TL-S

^^i can try to take a pic of it when i get home or on my lunch break.. if you remove the drivers kick panel, behind the fuse box on top right corner there is a 5 pin green plug... disconnect it and tap into the green/red wire... I also had a rocker switch installed so i could turn them on whenever, it also requires a diode to block off the (-) going back to the supervision dome green/red wire.

and sorry to jack your thread, but did instal of puddles on 3 cars, mine, friends, and dads truck... dodge was my fav cause the puddles were installed on the running boards, and they slide out when the doors open up

Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 PM
UA7 NBP TL-S

sorta. like the underglow is the full bar, and these appear to be like a flashlight. i'm wondering if you could do some sort of lamp shade type dealio that would sorta blend the lights with eachother?
blending lights together would give you a bar effect, that was back in 2000 with neon lights.. in person they do look legit and something different.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:34 PM
BANNED

^PM'd for future help, vlad.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by vladkarnafel
blending lights together would give you a bar effect, that was back in 2000 with neon lights.. in person they do look legit and something different.

versus

i don't like the bar, but i like how the second picture looks like concentric(right?) circles of light instead of individuals.

appearances in the pictures?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:47 PM
UA7 NBP TL-S

depends which puddle light fixture you will get..
the ones that SharksBreath got were from eBay, they create more of a fixed circle/dot output... the ones from autolumination.com create more of blend effect..
here is the item... I bought the single led before and it was installed on that white TL, which created the blended effect.

http://autolumination.com/indicator.htm
The following users liked this post:
veggiemonster (10-12-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Looks sweet!

Is this the one you bought?

brand is monarch

http://www.eliteautostyle.com/products/lighting.htm
Old 10-12-2011, 03:43 PM
BANNED

here is a PM from vladkarnafel showing WHERE to tap into for future use if you don't want to tap into your front map lights...but still want to have the puddles come on when you unlock your car and open your door.

Here is the picture of kick panel taken off and exposed fuse box.. the pin is located behind this fuse box, upper right corner..

pin located here, behind this grey relay, reach with your hand and the first pin you feel closer to top is the one, push on the release pin and pull it out

this is the 5 pin connector, looks like the Dome supervision green/red wire is the first wire looking straight at the connector.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:57 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Holy God Aaron, what an install! Looks great dude.

Your car > mine
Old 10-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
Lookin good Aaron, those puddle lights give me that " get inside and drive me " kind of feeling hahaha no homo. adds a nice touch!
Old 10-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
great job on the in stall. the mounting method of these lights makes for a really clean look. they are not bad looking at all. just somehow i like them more on other peoples car.

to be honest i had puddle lights on my car at least three years ago. i had them wired up just like yours. they were cool, but it only took me one day or should i say night to realize they weren't for me. i ripped them and all the wiring out the next day. the only mod i un-modded.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Looks excellent, cleanly executed too.

If I had the balls, I'd install a puddle light under each of my mirrors. But I don't, so I'll just look at these pics in the meantime.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Puddle lights....FTW!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I was considering this mod a long time ago... but I thought the car had to many lights lighting up. I guess I have to see this in person to change my judgement.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 PM
UA6 SSM TL

Received 106 Likes on 103 Posts
^can't wait for the pictures!
btw if it is not too much to ask, could you please post the link of the shark antenna? Just want to make sure to get the right one
Old 10-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
Dude that's crazy, good work. It looks really sharp.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:44 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Holy God Aaron, what an install! Looks great dude.

Your car > mine
thanks, tyler. yeah the install was a joy...

Originally Posted by Twisdit
Lookin good Aaron, those puddle lights give me that " get inside and drive me " kind of feeling hahaha no homo. adds a nice touch!
thanks, andy. i really like how they turned out.

Originally Posted by jptl04
great job on the in stall. the mounting method of these lights makes for a really clean look. they are not bad looking at all. just somehow i like them more on other peoples car.

to be honest i had puddle lights on my car at least three years ago. i had them wired up just like yours. they were cool, but it only took me one day or should i say night to realize they weren't for me. i ripped them and all the wiring out the next day. the only mod i un-modded.
interesting...

why didn't you like them? i think they would look great against your WDP. but hey, we all like diff things and thats what makes all our TL's so unique. it's that personal touch that keeps me itching for MOAR.

Originally Posted by cjTL
Looks excellent, cleanly executed too.

If I had the balls, I'd install a puddle light under each of my mirrors. But I don't, so I'll just look at these pics in the meantime.
thanks craig. i say go for the side mirror puddles...i've seen them on a few cars and they look clean.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Puddle lights....FTW!

Originally Posted by turtlecivic
I was considering this mod a long time ago... but I thought the car had to many lights lighting up. I guess I have to see this in person to change my judgement.
right on. your local right? maybe somebody will set up a meet and i'll tag along so you can see them.

Originally Posted by 24no7
^can't wait for the pictures!
btw if it is not too much to ask, could you please post the link of the shark antenna? Just want to make sure to get the right one
no problem, here you go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...item3368acda37

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
Dude that's crazy, good work. It looks really sharp.
thanks, aaron. how's the hunt for some custom tails going?

*ok enough with the audio and lighting...i'm hungry for MOAR POWER!*

...now i just need to find someone to help install this thing. nobody seems to wanna touch it.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:42 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
ahahah aaron....great progresss......

gotta love the puddle lights....and about the pulley, I hope its stock diameter
Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 PM
BANNED

^yes sir! stock diameter!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
dam man w/ exams I have been out of the loop still was reading from page 18 haha anyway P-lights look awsome as well as the emblem (which I will buy as well) the fin it takes getting used to but prob looks great in person good job keep up the spending and modding lol
Old 10-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
^yes sir! stock diameter!
Why doesn't anyone want to touch it? It's just a matter of removing the serpentine belt and air blasting that nut loose and off right? I understand that nut can be very seized but certainly not impossible. Personally I bet it'd be pretty easy with an air compressor and gear puller.

Oh and in response to your question above I haven't yet. I think I will def. go with base 07/08 at some point. There's a few other small things I'd like to renew on the car first though.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:47 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by sourial84
dam man w/ exams I have been out of the loop still was reading from page 18 haha anyway P-lights look awsome as well as the emblem (which I will buy as well) the fin it takes getting used to but prob looks great in person good job keep up the spending and modding lol
thanks man. yeah the heeltoe dark chrome emblem is great, i just bought the front emblem today so it'll match the rear. i'd def recommend one of these, it's a subtle change and they're high quality. no gimmicks with these.

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
Why doesn't anyone want to touch it? It's just a matter of removing the serpentine belt and air blasting that nut loose and off right? I understand that nut can be very seized but certainly not impossible. Personally I bet it'd be pretty easy with an air compressor and gear puller.

Oh and in response to your question above I haven't yet. I think I will def. go with base 07/08 at some point. There's a few other small things I'd like to renew on the car first though.
yeah i need to find someone with air tools powerful enough to remove the nut. i have the pulley removal tool, so that should help quite a bit...i just don't know anyone with air tools like that.

07/08 base with a little modifying woud look great on your WDP. JnC and AckTL05 both do great work, you can't go wrong with either of them if you want some work done.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,628 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Your car is bad ass.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts
^that

Love the puddle lighting. Wanted to do it to mine but wasn't convinced until now

This thread delivers!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:06 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by Mr. Maker
Your car is bad ass.
Originally Posted by I are LEGEND
^that

Love the puddle lighting. Wanted to do it to mine but wasn't convinced until now

This thread delivers!!!
thanks guys!

this past weekend i drove down to ocean city, md. and there was a corvette show going on. at least 500 vette's from all walks of life.

the event brought back memories of my step father Ron, who passed away last november. i know he would have been there with his vette as well.

here is Ron's vette...it was sold a few months back.

and here are some pics of the vette show. sorry for the iphone quality...

after we left the show, the girlfriend and i stopped off on the boardwalk for some drinks. about 20 mins later, all of the vette's cruised down the boardwalk one by one...took easily 2 hours and probably 500 cars. pretty incredible to see and we had the best seats. i got a short vid...just imagine this going on for another 2 hours, pretty cool to be a part of. (don't mind the drunk loud obnoxious woman in the background...)

Last edited by SharksBreath; 10-17-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Drifting

LOVE OCMD. i've been for h2oi in 2009. never got to go back

we have the Corvette show in town here, biggest in the country, so trust me i can imagine the vettes.

great pictures, looked over them again....so fresh and so clean
Old 10-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
That is cool they were able to ride the boards like that! Sounds like a good weekend.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
"THAT'S THE ONE I LIKE! WOOOOOOO!!!"

Old 10-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
loll you keep me going on the NBP game....A little while back i got bored because no one was really doing anything to their cars now im back in the game trying to give you some competition on that NBP status hahah
Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 AM
BANNED

LOVE OCMD. i've been for h2oi in 2009. never got to go back

we have the Corvette show in town here, biggest in the country, so trust me i can imagine the vettes.

great pictures, looked over them again....so fresh and so clean
hell yeah man. it was a blast.

That is cool they were able to ride the boards like that! Sounds like a good weekend.
def was! had a great time. sucks it was only for a weekend tho...i didn't want to go back to work on monday.

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
"THAT'S THE ONE I LIKE! WOOOOOOO!!!"

gawd...she was just awful.

Originally Posted by mrlal8
loll you keep me going on the NBP game....A little while back i got bored because no one was really doing anything to their cars now im back in the game trying to give you some competition on that NBP status hahah
haha bring it on man!

your car is looking sharp btw...love the new stance.

USPS just delivered a new toy!

anyone who is on the fence or hesitant to buy heeltoe's dark chrome emblems...go buy one already! they look SO GOOD in person. very well made and add's so much to the TL's appearance...especially if you have other dark/gunmetal accents on your TL. heeltoe gets my vote! great customer service too...marcus is always able to help with anything i need. stand up guy!
Old 10-20-2011, 12:39 PM
UA7 NBP TL-S

Im thinking of getting one for the front also, since my oem chrome emblem just stands out of everything that is currently black on my car...
I wanna see how it looks form about 5' away on the car

Last edited by vladkarnafel; 10-20-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Sharksbreath's Type-S Progress Thread (Updated 6/3/13)