Sharksbreath's Type-S Progress Thread (Updated 6/3/13)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 766 Likes on 551 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPZ
Aaron, I have never known someone to LOVE carbon fibre as much as you do....
you're in for a surprise. check this thread out https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/custom-carbon-fiber-mods-my-type-s-805249/
Old 10-03-2011, 07:16 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
Your balls are massive for cutting into the dash. Turned out to be an awesome install though. Damn.
thanks, craig. at one point i had the "wtf am i doing" thoughts running through my head...but in the end, it all worked out as planned.

Aaron, I have never known someone to LOVE carbon fibre as much as you do....
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
^^^^ Jaime (jptl)
all hail jptl04! he's def my inspiration on a bunch of projects. setting the tone for the rest of us...

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
oh that's interesting. i never realized that concealed display prevents the actual v1 detector from lighting up. have you ever seen the color-coded concealed displays on eBay? it makes reading the radar bands a hell of alot easier since each band is color coded a different color.

it's pretty pricey at $80. it seems pretty handy though. I know driving at night it's hard to distinguish the bands from each other because all you see is a red dot. BUT if you got good ears, you can definitely tell if it's the KA band that's been detected.

also, since the actual v1 detector isn't lit up, where does the beeping sound come from? the concealed display or the v1 unit itself?
no i haven't seen that...now i have to get it. thanks for spending more of my money! wanna buy the one i have?

but yeah, i don't really pay attention to the K or X band...i only focus on the intense beeping that's emitted after it picks up laser/ka. the sound comes from the concealed display...which also has a mute button.

you're in for a surprise. check this thread out https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805249

*ok so yesterday i met up with dave (dwb993), mike (upnout), and aaron (ohsixMTee). today was all about audio. we had a bunch of stuff to get done, and thanks to their help we accomplished quite a bit.

here are some pics from the install.

remove back seats. remove rear deck. remove stock speakers and "sub". start applying second skin damplifier w/ rubber roller.

trace out area where sub/speakers sit.

splice OEM sub harness into LOC to retain factory settings from HU.

distribution block w/ misc. wiring for sub/amp.

the toys...

JL 500/1 amp
JL 300/2 amp
JL 12w6v2 sub
1.5 cu ft. box w/ polyfill
matrix line driver amp
second skin damplifier w/ overkill
massive CK6 stage V front components
misc wiring/blocks/cap/fuses

and a few pics of our TL's invading dave's garage.

mike putting on his rear aspec lip

aaron's clean 06 MT

under the knife...

so, all in all...we got the sub/amp combo running and laid down a bunch of second skin. maybe this weekend we can finish the front components/amp.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
looking forward to hearing your car's sound system in the future aaron

one day when i have money to spend like that, ill get me a v1 and maybe you can help me install stealth mode like you
Old 10-03-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 9,526 Likes on 6,181 Posts
Holy crap Aaron! Seeing everything come together is awesome! I really can't wait to see, and hear, your car next time we meet up
Old 10-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
you know you are a DIY'r when other DIY'r come into your thread and get confused with pictures wondering 'wait....am i still in a TL thread?'

you have da cajones, sir
Old 10-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
yea man I'm gonna have to keep the train moving on those wheels fyi can't wait to see the rest of the install on the audio since I one of my components blew and now my Jersey fist pump music sounds like poo lol
Old 10-03-2011, 11:59 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by Twisdit
looking forward to hearing your car's sound system in the future aaron

one day when i have money to spend like that, ill get me a v1 and maybe you can help me install stealth mode like you
yeah i'll help you install the concealed display. let me know when you get your hands on one!

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Holy crap Aaron! Seeing everything come together is awesome! I really can't wait to see, and hear, your car next time we meet up
yeah buddy! maybe they'll be a meet in VA or something and we can both drive halfway.

Originally Posted by veggiemonster
you know you are a DIY'r when other DIY'r come into your thread and get confused with pictures wondering 'wait....am i still in a TL thread?'

you have da cajones, sir
yea i like to DIY whenever i can. more fun that way.

Originally Posted by sourial84
yea man I'm gonna have to keep the train moving on those wheels fyi can't wait to see the rest of the install on the audio since I one of my components blew and now my Jersey fist pump music sounds like poo lol
yeah i'm looking forward to finishing everything. still have quite a bit to do...
Old 10-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
Speechless as usual...
Old 10-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,015 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Nicely done, dude...very nice products you chose.
PS...is that sub intended to be forward facing? I did forward facing for a while but FELT the bass much better with rear firing.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Very nice...Hope to see the car around sometime since I am down here at Ft.Meade now...
Old 10-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SharksBreath

no i haven't seen that...now i have to get it. thanks for spending more of my money! wanna buy the one i have?

but yeah, i don't really pay attention to the K or X band...i only focus on the intense beeping that's emitted after it picks up laser/ka. the sound comes from the concealed display...which also has a mute button.
lol thanks for the offer, but radar detectors aren't illegal in TX (they probably aren't in your state either) so i don't really see myself needing a concealed display.

I too, have mines hardwired. however, my v1 is on my drivers side closest to the left side of the rear view mirror. pretty much like yours, but on the drivers side instead of passenger. it's up in the as1 line so no one standing outside the car can see it. i also have a "mute" button switch wired to my v1 and i put it near the gear shift lever.

i'm always driving with my left hand so i can easily and quickly press the mute button by the gear shift lever naturally without looking using my right hand.

if i wanted, i could flip my drivers side visor down and it would completely hide my v1 detector and will still pick up radar and laser coming from the rear of the car. you gotta concealed display, so you don't really have a need to hide it.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:29 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

*alright well since i was bunkered down the whole weekend (thanks irene ) i decided to wrap more interior parts with CF di-noc.

hmm wonder who gave you that idea lol Good job bro!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice mods I am starting to put together a list my self can't wait to get started I have alot of catching up to do LOL...
Old 10-04-2011, 09:31 AM
BANNED

Speechless as usual...
thanks joe. what's next on your list?

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Nicely done, dude...very nice products you chose.
PS...is that sub intended to be forward facing? I did forward facing for a while but FELT the bass much better with rear firing.
thanks, J. i still have A LOT to do in order to get everything functional and proper. as far as the sub direction, i've heard diff. opinions on which way to face it so right now i'm just messing around with all diff options til i land on something that sounds right.

Originally Posted by ChrisJ
Very nice...Hope to see the car around sometime since I am down here at Ft.Meade now...
sounds good. maybe they'll have 1 or 2 more meets before winter hits.

lol thanks for the offer, but radar detectors aren't illegal in TX (they probably aren't in your state either) so i don't really see myself needing a concealed display.

I too, have mines hardwired. however, my v1 is on my drivers side closest to the left side of the rear view mirror. pretty much like yours, but on the drivers side instead of passenger. it's up in the as1 line so no one standing outside the car can see it. i also have a "mute" button switch wired to my v1 and i put it near the gear shift lever.

i'm always driving with my left hand so i can easily and quickly press the mute button by the gear shift lever naturally without looking using my right hand.

if i wanted, i could flip my drivers side visor down and it would completely hide my v1 detector and will still pick up radar and laser coming from the rear of the car. you gotta concealed display, so you don't really have a need to hide it.
yeah i also debated on which side to mount the V1 itself. regarding the colored concelaed display, i started thinking to myself last night that there is probably a way to manipulate the lights on my current one if i want diff colors for diff radar bands. i'll just need to crack it open and see how it's put together.

Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
hmm wonder who gave you that idea lol Good job bro!
thanks, scott! i'm about to go di-noc crazy on a bunch of other interior parts when i have the time.

Originally Posted by Face9596
Nice mods I am starting to put together a list my self can't wait to get started I have alot of catching up to do LOL...
thanks man. just do one thing at a time...you don't want to have too much on the modding table at one time...you'll end up starting something and getting sidetracked lol...i know i do.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:10 PM
4th Gear

Nice job!!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Registered 3.5L Member

thanks joe. what's next on your list?
I still want to get a roof spoiler (likely the ebay one...cant bring myself to spend $400 all in for the Sarona). I also have to re-vinyl my grille. Once the weather got hotter, the vinyl started coming up, especially in the coves on the middle bar. After a while, I took some small stone chips in that area, and the vinyl started to tear as it was no longer sitting flush with the plastic it was covering. I have since made a few small patches to hold it temporarily, but I would like to redo the whole grille while it is still warm out. I bought a shit load of glossy black vinyl locally, so it's just a matter of finding the time. How is yours holding up?

I also have to spend $$$ on a set of snow tires which will be mounted on my stock waffles; my car drove like absolute shit on the OEM Michelin All Seasons last year...What are your plans for winter?
Old 10-05-2011, 12:42 PM
BANNED

^that sucks about your vinyl. mine is holding up just fine. when you re-do yours, make sure you clean all the areas with rubbing alcohol first. when you apply the vinyl make sure you wrap it around ALL the pieces so that when you put everything back together...the vinyl is protected by each individual piece holding it in place you know? also make sure you press down real hard and make sure it conforms to all the curves on the front grill. heat is your best friend.

i also need to locate a set of winter tires. i bought some 06 stockies a while back from a member that i plan on running during the winter.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:44 PM
UA7 NBP TL-S

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
I still want to get a roof spoiler (likely the ebay one...cant bring myself to spend $400 all in for the Sarona). I also have to re-vinyl my grille. Once the weather got hotter, the vinyl started coming up, especially in the coves on the middle bar. After a while, I took some small stone chips in that area, and the vinyl started to tear as it was no longer sitting flush with the plastic it was covering. I have since made a few small patches to hold it temporarily, but I would like to redo the whole grille while it is still warm out. I bought a shit load of glossy black vinyl locally, so it's just a matter of finding the time. How is yours holding up?

I also have to spend $$$ on a set of snow tires which will be mounted on my stock waffles; my car drove like absolute shit on the OEM Michelin All Seasons last year...What are your plans for winter?
plasti-dip it wont have issues at all
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Safety Car

hey sharks breath, i also plan on carbon fiber vinyling my interior trim pieces also. I've got small scratches on my current trim pieces so I thought this would be the best thing to do.

my question is, did you vinyl your interior with the pieces in place? or did you remove it from the car? might have to ask some more questions when i actually get around to doing it, hope you dont mind
Old 10-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Wow Aaron, can't wait to see the finished shots!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:42 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by vladkarnafel
plasti-dip it wont have issues at all
meh...i think the glossy black vinyl matches NBP better. but to each their own!

hey sharks breath, i also plan on carbon fiber vinyling my interior trim pieces also. I've got small scratches on my current trim pieces so I thought this would be the best thing to do.

my question is, did you vinyl your interior with the pieces in place? or did you remove it from the car? might have to ask some more questions when i actually get around to doing it, hope you dont mind
i removed EVERYTHING and wrapped individually. i did this during the DVD player install, since everything was already ripped out of my car. IMO, this is the only way to do it proper. any questions, feel free to PM me.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Wow Aaron, can't wait to see the finished shots!
thanks, mr. bell!

i can't wait to get everything finished, still have lots to do...

also got more toys in over the past few days...pics to follow in the next few days.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
So hows the stereo sound? I am very interested in upgrading my stereo setup in my TL-S as well...

Any chance you could give me a round about number of the end cost for the stereo upgrade? If not no biggie
Old 10-06-2011, 07:51 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by ChrisJ
So hows the stereo sound? I am very interested in upgrading my stereo setup in my TL-S as well...

Any chance you could give me a round about number of the end cost for the stereo upgrade? If not no biggie
it sounds great right now, but i really can't give you a definitive answer until i install the 2nd amp and front components. that will totally change the game...in a good way.

here is a thread i started in the audio section, it covers a lot and has some good info IMO.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/system-complete-anything-else-832823/
Old 10-06-2011, 11:30 AM
BANNED

alright so i bought the sharkfin antenna after i saw it on this thread a while back...his TL is canadian with the teeny tiny antenna so he had no problem fitting his on. mine on the other hand...read below.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826321

got it in today, looks good. only problem is...it won't fit over the stock XM antenna.

the underside of the sharkfin is hollow, but still not large enough of a space to sit on top of the XM antenna...even though the eBay page says it's for the 04-08 TL's.

thoughts? how would i remove the stock antenna and still retain XM? re-route a wire? i'm stuck here...

The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (10-08-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Cruisin'

dam, i just got done reading 6/18 pages! OOO man the aspec kit is nice. How much?
Old 10-07-2011, 01:08 PM
UA7 NBP TL-S

keep the antenna original..
just to me bmw parts or style shouldn't be applied to our tl's..
Old 10-07-2011, 01:17 PM
BANNED

Originally Posted by Dook303
dam, i just got done reading 6/18 pages! OOO man the aspec kit is nice. How much?
i got it from vendor AckTL05 during a group buy last year for $725 shipped/painted.

keep the antenna original..
just to me bmw parts or style shouldn't be applied to our tl's..
why not?

i found the thread explaining how to remove the stock one, so i'm doing that sunday morning.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Sharksbreath,

Sharksfin......you gonna wrap it in CF?
Old 10-07-2011, 01:32 PM
BANNED

^well obvously you know that thought occured to me!

...but i feel like it would break up the look of the car too much. if i wrapped the sharkfin in CF then i'd have to wrap the roof spoiler and trunk spoiler too...

hmm...
Old 10-07-2011, 01:46 PM
UA7 NBP TL-S

why not?

i found the thread explaining how to remove the stock one, so i'm doing that sunday morning.
ah just an opinion.. but props for making it unique
Old 10-07-2011, 11:39 PM
UA6 SSM TL

Received 106 Likes on 103 Posts
Man your car is
Amazing progress my friend!

Btw i sort of want to do the samething, however, i would rather follow the DIY of kadakia. Don't know if i will keep my valentine v1 forever
Before i pull the trigger, do you happen to know if the 07-08 fuse box located at the driver side footwell is the same as the 04-06? the DIY is for 07-08 tl, don't want to screw things up. thanks
Old 10-08-2011, 09:29 AM
BANNED

ah just an opinion.. but props for making it unique
different strokes for different folks!

Originally Posted by 24no7
Man your car is
Amazing progress my friend!

Btw i sort of want to do the samething, however, i would rather follow the DIY of kadakia. Don't know if i will keep my valentine v1 forever
Before i pull the trigger, do you happen to know if the 07-08 fuse box located at the driver side footwell is the same as the 04-06? the DIY is for 07-08 tl, don't want to screw things up. thanks
yeah i imagine it's the same fuse box. you should be able to tap into the same fuse if you want to disable your V1 with the window power button.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
alright so i bought the sharkfin antenna after i saw it on this thread a while back...his TL is canadian with the teeny tiny antenna so he had no problem fitting his on. mine on the other hand...read below.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826321
lmao his TL doesn't even have an XM antenna
His roof is flat and has no antenna since canada didnn't get XM until later

So basically he bought the shark fin antenna and just stuck it on just for looks heheh

It looks good though.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:33 AM

Hey bud...I'm sure this occurred to you already but why not grab your dremel and make the opening under the fin bigger rather than touching your stock xm antenna?

Any impact to reception? I wonder?
Old 10-08-2011, 10:34 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
lmao his TL doesn't even have an XM antenna
His roof is flat and has no antenna since canada didnn't get XM until later

So basically he bought the shark fin antenna and just stuck it on just for looks heheh

It looks good though.
o'rly? i thought he had that little antenna on there...guess not lol...

i think they look good tho, i'm looking forward to tomorrow...

gonna install the sharkfin and..........

(thanks dave! )
Old 10-08-2011, 10:38 AM
BANNED

Hey bud...I'm sure this occurred to you already but why not grab your dremel and make the opening under the fin bigger rather than touching your stock xm antenna?

Any impact to reception? I wonder?
yeah i thought about that but there is no room for error. that was my first thought lol...

i'm just going to remove the stock antenna, and 3M it between the headliner and roof. i tested the theory yesterday...and i still get reception.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:42 AM

I'd have to see it but you can be pretty precise with a dremel and cutting wheel. Just use blue tape to mark where NOT to cut.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Race Director

Looking forward to seeing the shark fin antenna.

I'm debating if I should do it too since my (canadian) TL roof looks too empty =(
Old 10-08-2011, 10:58 PM

I'm considering it too...
Old 10-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Race Director

I'm considering it too...
At least you actually have an XM antenna on the roof lol

If I threw one of these shark fin antennas on I wonder if the dealership guys think I'm a ricer lol

Quick Reply: Sharksbreath's Type-S Progress Thread (Updated 6/3/13)