Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-168 Steering wheel removal???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:17 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
F-168 Steering wheel removal???????

Mods if this is Garage worthy please post it up.

I did this because I got the oem Carbon Fiber steering wheel. I didn't feel the need to shell out $100+ to the dealer for something I could've done myself.

This is a diy for the removal of the steering wheel. Of course the re-install is gonna be reverse of everything here.

****NOTE: YOU TAKE FOR RESPONSIBILTY FOR THIS DIY SINCE IT DOES REQUIRE REMOVING THE AIRBAG. IF YOU DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE DOING IT THEN TAKE IT TO THE DEALER OR TO SOMEONE WHOSE TRUSTWORTHY WITH IT.****

Let's begin....

Tools needed: T30 Torx bit (for the airbag screws)
Phillips head screwdriver
Ratchet with a 10mm and 14mm socket
Black marker (sharpie)
Codes for your radio and navi(if equipped)

First make sure your on a flat surface and the car is straight. You don't want the wheels turned because when you put the steering wheel back on you might put it on out of alignment. So just move the car back and forth to straighten it out. Next remove the negative(-) terminal on the battery. Use the 10mm socket for this.

Now on to the steering wheel.... remove the 2 Torx screws, one on each side of the wheel.
Name:  Steeringwheelswap029.jpg
Views: 4605
Size:  85.9 KB
Name:  Steeringwheelswap001.jpg
Views: 5577
Size:  62.6 KB

Next on the bottom backside of the wheel there's a plastic cover. remove this to access the SRS plug. There's 1 yellow plug which is the SRS plug and a clear white plug as well, this plug has a huge male spade connector unplug it and the airbag will come right out.
Name:  Steeringwheelswap003.jpg
Views: 5572
Size:  72.4 KB
Name:  Steeringwheelswap004.jpg
Views: 4072
Size:  56.2 KB
Name:  Steeringwheelswap002.jpg
Views: 4069
Size:  54.2 KB

Now you can see the main bolt that holds the wheel in place. Also the white harness plug located right under the bolt, unplug it. Here's where you are going to use the 14mm socket. You can "lock" the wheel so you'll have leverage to undo the bolt and to pull the wheel as well. But before you pull the wheel use your black marker to make a marker where the 12 o'clock mark is on the wheel to right where the bolt goes so you don't lose where the wheel is in line on the splines of the column. To pull the wheel you might need to bang on it with your hand on the back of the wheel to loosen it out.
Name:  Steeringwheelswap007.jpg
Views: 4517
Size:  98.5 KB
Name:  ALIGMENTTABS.jpg
Views: 4256
Size:  126.3 KB
Name:  Steeringwheelswap008.jpg
Views: 6752
Size:  97.4 KB

Now that the steering wheel is off take it over to a table to swap all of the pieces from the old wheel to the Carbon Fiber wheel. Take your time doing this because you are dealing with small screws and don't wanna loose any. You'll have 17 screws to take out and a plastic plate on the center of the wheel.

Here there is 4 silver screws that hold the back cover on. Remove these and you'll have access to the paddle shifter screws. Also the green plugs you see in the pics are for the paddle shifters those are the only 2 plugs you need to unplug inside the wheel itself.
Name:  BACKCOVERSCREWS.jpg
Views: 4146
Size:  124.9 KB
Name:  Steeringwheelswap016.jpg
Views: 4113
Size:  75.5 KB
Name:  PSPLUG.jpg
Views: 3962
Size:  123.9 KB
Name:  CWSCREWS.jpg
Views: 4035
Size:  124.8 KB
Name:  Steeringwheelswap017.jpg
Views: 3973
Size:  59.6 KB

We're almost done taking the wheel apart.....

Now on to the side trim and buttons. This part is real simple. I'll post a pic of the service exploded view of the internals of the wheel so you can get the idea of what screws to remove and where everything is.
Name:  Steeringwheelswap028-1.jpg
Views: 4056
Size:  85.1 KB
Name:  Steeringwheelswap018.jpg
Views: 4075
Size:  49.8 KB
Name:  TRIM3.jpg
Views: 4063
Size:  69.4 KB

There is also a screw that holds the TYPE S logo trim in place but I didn't snap a pic of it but again the manual pic should help alot. When everything is removed you should be left with this....These parts just get swapped ove to the new wheel. Also if you wanna change any bulbs to leds use this diy to access them. And you can use DeathMetal's leds swap threads to do so.
Name:  Steeringwheelswap019.jpg
Views: 4057
Size:  57.9 KB

Here is a side by side of both wheels just to give you any idea of what the skeleton of the wheel looks like....
Name:  Steeringwheelswap010.jpg
Views: 3984
Size:  72.3 KB

Ok now the install is just the reverse of everything here so if you need to snap so pics so you can remember where everything goes if you're unsure of it.

And here's a finished pic.....
Name:  Steeringwheelswap022.jpg
Views: 4768
Size:  107.4 KB

Also I had a set of these made myself so Mods don't be mad I just thought this should be the logo sticker....
Name:  Steeringwheelswap021.jpg
Views: 3994
Size:  52.7 KB
Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Yesssssssss

awesome post!!! Garage this bish!!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:28 PM
under renovations....

I even gave you a shout out in the DIY DeathMetal. the whole thing took me about 30-40 minutes and thats going downstairs to the car and back up to my house to work in my living room and watching tv at the same time so I could probably do it faster then that if I wanted.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
I see a damper that inaccurate may have to remove!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
OP -

As an Acura tech, I must say I'm impressed with your pics and write up. Good work!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:36 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by acuratech239
OP -

As an Acura tech, I must say I'm impressed with your pics and write up. Good work!
Thanks I appreciate the comment. I'm sure I probably missed a pic or two but the service diagram pic should be a big help too.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
I even gave you a shout out in the DIY DeathMetal. the whole thing took me about 30-40 minutes and thats going downstairs to the car and back up to my house to work in my living room and watching tv at the same time so I could probably do it faster then that if I wanted.
That's community, my man! Thanks!

Can you clarify just a touch on the whole 'marking to ensure proper spline alignment' point? Obviously, this is hella important, and you got this spot on.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
That's community, my man! Thanks!

Can you clarify just a touch on the whole 'marking to ensure proper spline alignment' point? Obviously, this is hella important, and you got this spot on.
when you remove the main bolt that holds the wheel in place there's a little room on the metal to make a mark in line with the alignment tab on the wheel itself. I did that just to make sure the wheel went back on in the same place since I turned the wheel to lock it before I pulled it off. Some people will turn the wheel to lock it then pull the wheel off and when they go to put it back on they put it on with the wheel is pointing to the left once they unlock the column and turn the wheels straight.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Brother, well done! Congrats-great DIY.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I just put my CF steering wheel on 2 wks ago. I followed the old DIY and did it exactly like you did. Wow you have the EXACT black Husky tool set I have, lol!! Eerie! The removal/install is far easier than I ever expected, I used to think this is a "dealer only" level job. At this point I have the procedure down to 20 mintures, it's that easy. I'm not even so scared about working near the airbag anymore. BTW guys prebuy some Torx bolts for the airbag. They are soft and are easy to deform because they are tighted to 7lbs/torque with threadlock. I have to change mine, they are tightened but the star pattern is screwed.

Here is the main problem though: I torqued the center bolt to specs but it was WAAAY too tight!! I shouldn't have done that. My column is now majorly rubbing on the steering wheel. On top of that I was one gear tooth off on setting the steering wheel on straight so my steering is slightly crooked. I went to take the steering wheel off to correct all this......I kept threading THROUGH the aluminum on the steering wheel with the steering wheel puller. No matter how many times I tried the wheel is not budging and the threads lose grip and rip through. It is so tight. I went out and bought another type of puller. I put SOOO much force on it trying to take it off. I tried for about 3hrs believe it or not. I even tried heating up the bolt, trying to bang/tap the steering wheel off etc. I was scared to pull that spool out by accident.

I gave up for now because it was way too cold in my garage and I was pissed. The steering wheel rubs less than before but I have to correct this. I have to tackle this in a couple of months when it warms up. Anyone have any good ideas of how I can get the steering wheel off???
Old 02-16-2010, 06:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well done...looks good!

BTW, I think that you need a few more air fresheners!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:00 AM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
I just put my CF steering wheel on 2 wks ago. I followed the old DIY and did it exactly like you did. Wow you have the EXACT black Husky tool set I have, lol!! Eerie! The removal/install is far easier than I ever expected, I used to think this is a "dealer only" level job. At this point I have the procedure down to 20 mintures, it's that easy. I'm not even so scared about working near the airbag anymore. BTW guys prebuy some Torx bolts for the airbag. They are soft and are easy to deform because they are tighted to 7lbs/torque with threadlock. I have to change mine, they are tightened but the star pattern is screwed.

Here is the main problem though: I torqued the center bolt to specs but it was WAAAY too tight!! I shouldn't have done that. My column is now majorly rubbing on the steering wheel. On top of that I was one gear tooth off on setting the steering wheel on straight so my steering is slightly crooked. I went to take the steering wheel off to correct all this......I kept threading THROUGH the aluminum on the steering wheel with the steering wheel puller. No matter how many times I tried the wheel is not budging and the threads lose grip and rip through. It is so tight. I went out and bought another type of puller. I put SOOO much force on it trying to take it off. I tried for about 3hrs believe it or not. I even tried heating up the bolt, trying to bang/tap the steering wheel off etc. I was scared to pull that spool out by accident.

I gave up for now because it was way too cold in my garage and I was pissed. The steering wheel rubs less than before but I have to correct this. I have to tackle this in a couple of months when it warms up. Anyone have any good ideas of how I can get the steering wheel off???
Rock when you get the Carbon Wheel they give you new Torx bolts with the green locktite film on it. As for your wheel hit me up when it gets warm out I'll try and give you a hand removing the wheel.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:02 AM
under renovations....

also guys I forgot to mention....

When you go to tighten the main bolt back don't overtighten it. The metal in that area is soft alloy and will strip fast or even crack. Once you get the bolt snug just go a 1/4 more on tightening it.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 AM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
Well done...looks good!

BTW, I think that you need a few more air fresheners!
I have the spray for that scent "black ice" so i just spray them and they stay smelling pretty good and for a long time too
Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 AM
im baaaack!!

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Good right up, Gaylord focker!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 AM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by T-jay
Good right up, Gaylord focker!
I see you stood home again bitch baby boy!!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice DIY!

WIll this wheel fit on an 04? I know I would need to buy ALL the buttons and the air bag. Just always wondered because I love the 3 spoke steering wheels.. Except when long driving.. I like the 4 spoke for long trips just because I can wedge my hand in one of the holes at the 3 oclock position.. lol
Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by bzyrice
Nice DIY!

WIll this wheel fit on an 04? I know I would need to buy ALL the buttons and the air bag. Just always wondered because I love the 3 spoke steering wheels.. Except when long driving.. I like the 4 spoke for long trips just because I can wedge my hand in one of the holes at the 3 oclock position.. lol
It should fit I don't think the splines are different so, you shou be able to put it on. I think the only problem you might have is using the paddle shiters obviously but maybe you can use them for something else
Old 02-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
It should fit I don't think the splines are different so, you shou be able to put it on. I think the only problem you might have is using the paddle shiters obviously but maybe you can use them for something else
So the wiring for the buttons and air bags are the same?

I have a manual and dont have the paddle shifters.. BUT I would figure out something cool to do with them if the steering wheel comes with them.. lol I can think of one thing I would do with it already.. lol
Old 02-16-2010, 02:19 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by bzyrice
So the wiring for the buttons and air bags are the same?

I have a manual and dont have the paddle shifters.. BUT I would figure out something cool to do with them if the steering wheel comes with them.. lol I can think of one thing I would do with it already.. lol
Nah the wheel doesn't come with them you basically just transfer your stuff from your existing wheel so you might just have a cover for the back.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:54 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Rock when you get the Carbon Wheel they give you new Torx bolts with the green locktite film on it. As for your wheel hit me up when it gets warm out I'll try and give you a hand removing the wheel.
Yeah I bought my steering wheel used, that's why I don't have extra bolts. Thanks for the offer to help. I just wish I had the perfect tool to get it out. At this point I have threaded those areas the puller goes into. You are right the steering wheel is made of some type of soft alloy. It seems to be the reason my puller threaded through and even why the steering wheel splines are even stuck in the first place. I used a claw style puller too. I have to think of something else.

Your advice to not tighten the bolt too much is what everyone needs to hear. This is one situation you don't want to go to specs as in the manual. I wish someone had told me that.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Hey rocky if you can carefully drill through the stripped threaded holes. Get some smaller longer bolts and some nuts, here see these pics, this style puller, the two bolts and nuts two bigger sized nuts to told bolts through puller slots, (they don't need to thread, just go through and stop at the head of each bolt)

Name:  2cddf562.jpg
Views: 3721
Size:  110.2 KB

use some kind of wire to hold the nuts behind the wheel where the new drilled out holes are. Once screwed in remove like normal.

Name:  b9d76b5a.jpg
Views: 3712
Size:  72.7 KB

just an idea, worked for me. You're right the threads are weak on that soft metal.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Good job Cuban! The wheel looks hot! And awesome DIY! Props!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by jptl04
Good job Cuban! The wheel looks hot! And awesome DIY! Props!
Thanks Jamie, I'm trying to get mine pimp like yours!! You gotta tell me where you got your cf column cover or what you used to do it.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Thanks Jamie, I'm trying to get mine pimp like yours!! You gotta tell me where you got your cf column cover or what you used to do it.
Thanks dude, google CFType. They are in San Diego. They did it for me and my engine cover too, it wasn't cheap. You're gonna hate me when you see my new steering wheel.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice job, can that wheel be put into a 05 tech?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by jptl04
Thanks dude, google CFType. They are in San Diego. They did it for me and my engine cover too, it wasn't cheap. You're gonna hate me when you see my new steering wheel.
I'll look into it, thanks for the info. And when well the new wheel be ready for the azine world
Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by dave_ramkumar
nice job, can that wheel be put into a 05 tech?
It should fit an 05 tl. Mine is an 08 type s so I would imagine it fitting.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Bone stock tl-s

I'll look into it, thanks for the info. And when well the new wheel be ready for the azine world
in About a week, I'll post up pics in my thread in the photo section.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Acura TL 04, G37s 19"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
do you have to disconnect the battery by doing this
Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by eduardmc
do you have to disconnect the battery by doing this
Yes, for 5 minutes to fully discharge the system. It's INSANELY easy, esp with this great write-up. Like he said, MAKE SURE YOU MARK THE POSITION ON THE SPLINE SHAFT! Peice o cake!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:21 PM
under renovations....

Figured I'd pull this from the dead for another bit of info. during the summer I pulled my wheel off a second time to di-noc the trim pieces on the wheel. I forgot to mention be careful when pulling the wheel off and make sure the cable reel harness is unplugged (reference picture 7 and 8 to see what I mean) other wise you'll pull the whole thing apart and it CANNOT be put back together at all. this happened to me but I know I unplugged it but somehting else must've caught it and snagged onto it.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
I see a damper that inaccurate may have to remove!
Hi pohljm,

I removed that a few years back when I was in there removing the airbag.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Excellent write-up; it helped a lot tonight. I did a swap in 20 minutes but didn't have to swap electronics. FYI, the spline has an indentation for top dead center, at least for a 2005.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:48 AM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
Great write-up. I know I will be referencing this is the near future
Old 10-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help need!!!!

Ok, this seemed like a fairly simple job (was only going far enough to replace cruise switch on an '04) so I figured i'd give it a shot today. Big mistake, as I ended up stripping one of the torx bolts that holds the airbag in and breaking the head off the other

Saw a youtube video just now where another guy was saying he had to use an extractor (the type that grabs the outside of screw head) to remove his. Any suggestions on which type of extractor I could use in this case and also anything I can do about broken screw?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Having a lot of trouble removing my steering wheel. I got the center bolt out but it's just not budging
Old 07-29-2014, 09:43 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Wack it with a rubber mallet a few times. It's a little stiff the first time off.

MAKE SURE YOU NOTE THE SPLINE ALIGNMENT!
Old 07-29-2014, 09:58 PM

I'm trying. Hit it with my rubber mallet A LOT it's still not coming off. I even went to autozone to rent the puller but the threads don't match. The autozone one comes with standard thread bolts
Old 07-29-2014, 10:00 PM

YESSSS it just came off!!!

Quick Reply: F-168 Steering wheel removal???????