QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:35 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xen-cuts
I just want you guys to know that Peripheral does not repair or backup their products. If you don't buy from a seller who will readily do exchanges, you cannot count on peripheral to help you out.

Cool device; shitty customer service.
That is not true,

Yes, we ask you to first go through the original place of purchase to return or exchange the module. If its an exchange then that is something that we can do if you have exhausted all means through the original place of purchase and have a copy of your reciept.

Everyone should be aware of the return policy of any product they buy from a retailer.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:36 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by Sal's Type S

what seems to be the problem? are the new harnesses wired differently than the one you installed or have it been compared pin by pin to make sure there is no difference between them. Maybe it can be the way people are installing them,could there be some sequence that after the install that the system has to be powered up or settings on the Head Unit.....either way can"t wait till somebody figures this thing out. It works on just about every other vehicle except our TL's..

yes they are diferient connectors and wired differiently.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:05 PM
3GTLS

Originally Posted by xen-cuts
I just want you guys to know that Peripheral does not repair or backup their products. If you don't buy from a seller who will readily do exchanges, you cannot count on peripheral to help you out.

Cool device; shitty customer service.

I think this is a bit harsh!! Especially, considering that Peripheral (the user and the company) are doing to address the new TLs. Most other company's reply to our problems would have been "Sorry, we don't support it". Peripheral, however, has been helping us for a while now.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:24 AM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by voidtrance
I think this is a bit harsh!! Especially, considering that Peripheral (the user and the company) are doing to address the new TLs. Most other company's reply to our problems would have been "Sorry, we don't support it". Peripheral, however, has been helping us for a while now.

I appreciate the kind words!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:44 AM
ROFLCOPTER!

Originally Posted by Peripheral
That is not true,

Yes, we ask you to first go through the original place of purchase to return or exchange the module. If its an exchange then that is something that we can do if you have exhausted all means through the original place of purchase and have a copy of your reciept.

Everyone should be aware of the return policy of any product they buy from a retailer.
Interesting since YOU JUST DID THIS TO ME. I definitely expected better service from you. Not just better service, but some service that goes beyond babbling on a message board.

Everyone should be aware of return policy. Everyone should also expect manufacturer support.

Last edited by xen-cuts; 11-11-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Instructor

So, I let my XM expire. I may renew it, may not, but I won't bother adding the nav traffic. Will the existing peripheral unit work if i dont use nav traffic, what if i do not renew XM (without issues), or is it because we have an 07 / 08 that i need the new harness?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by cmt1
So, I let my XM expire. I may renew it, may not, but I won't bother adding the nav traffic. Will the existing peripheral unit work if i dont use nav traffic, what if i do not renew XM (without issues), or is it because we have an 07 / 08 that i need the new harness?

Thanks
The new harness is to connect it through the SAT Tuner. I think the old harness will connect behind the stereo (the normal route).

I have the new harness to test and so far the SAT method is not working. Not sure if it will be fixed either. (BTW, I might have a good deal on the module if interested.)
Old 11-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cmt1

Thanks
Dont forget, if you do disconnect the XM Tuner in an 07 or 08, all the HFL stuff that is on the navi screen will not work (call button, phonebook import, etc...)
And you wont get the Acuralink messages (if you care about those).
Old 11-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Cruisin'

GREAT NEWS for Type S, the new harness works!

I got it installed tonight. It's a little tricky to learn, but it definitely works. (don't know if you can tell how damn excited I am?). Peripheral helped me out, so as far as customer service is concerned he has me sold!

Next on the list is a manual. It has the ability to flip through artist, genre, playlist, etc. but I am not sure how it works exactly. I only played with it for a half hour. And yes the XM1, XM2 and regular AUX still work. IT also gives you an AUX2.

PM me if you have any questions.

BTW - It sounds great too.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by osceola

I got it installed tonight. It's a little tricky to learn, but it definitely works. (don't know if you can tell how damn excited I am?). Peripheral helped me out, so as far as customer service is concerned he has me sold!

Next on the list is a manual. It has the ability to flip through artist, genre, playlist, etc. but I am not sure how it works exactly. I only played with it for a half hour. And yes the XM1, XM2 and regular AUX still work. IT also gives you an AUX2.

Now lets start a list i want one of these one of the main reasons is because you mount everything in the trunk instead of the interior.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^yup works perfectly, i tried mine out this morning with the new fix that peripheral gave us.

i give peripheral a big for helping us out!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Instructor

Does hfl still work as it should?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:19 AM
PXAMG GuRu

The good thing about using the trunk mount harness is we dont interfere with the HFL. It should work as it did from the factory as well as the nav traffic.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by thrlride
Does hfl still work as it should?
Yes, hfl works. Everything else seems to work also. I don't have the XM traffic service any longer but the xm still works.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:01 AM
6th Gear

Peripheral,

Thanks for the good news and all the efforts developing a solution. When do you think the new cable will be available ? Care to give a timeframe? Please sign me in for the group buy.

Are you guys also thinking about a solution for the iPhone 3G and new iPods charging issues?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 10:55 AM
5th Gear

i am pleased with the good news of the new 08 tl-s harness. how can we get on the list for a group buy?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Instructor

+1
Been waiting for this for a while. Sick of my DICE not working on CDC mode.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

In as much as I'm excited that we've got it working...i'd still want to hold back on purchasing to ensure it's an all round success.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how did you guys get it to work;and if anyone that got it to work can you post a video of how it work's and looks in the type s.thanks p.s.what do you guys think a bout it so far.let the group buy start
Old 11-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Pro

^initially the harnesses were bad- miswired. And then peripheral figured out we were turning on the wrong dipswitch on the module. Instead of turning on dipswitch 1, dipswitch 2 should be ON and the rest should be off.

it looks good, not much to see its just as if you were playing an mp3 cd - all info is displayed and can be controlled via steering wheel and head unit. now ive only used it for a whole 20 minutes or so, so i cannot give you a full review, but let us play with it some more and we'll keep you guys up to date. so far so good though, im really happy with it
Old 11-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Well things are not looking good. The harnesses are back to the guys and there having complications. of course im there so i can only help so much. but ill try what i can. So far this harness has only helped one person and its one i installed in the vehicle. he still has nothing but good things to say about it.

hhmmmm....

No we are not testing it in a TSX. in the TSX it works behind the radio no need for a trunk harness. pull the pocket out from under the radio and your done. the plug is right there.
What changed between last week and this week as it seems we have working models.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by thrlride
What changed between last week and this week as it seems we have working models.
read the post above yours..we were turning the wrong dipswitch on
Old 11-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by playa4real
read the post above yours..we were turning the wrong dipswitch on

Thanks, it was bad timing on my part to post right after the answer.

Hopefully we can get these made in bulk soon!
Old 11-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Advanced

Sounds like this is the solution that i came online to find today... i want to use my steering wheel to control it...

So just to be clear the ipod itself is now in the trunk? or are you running a wire into the cabin and the ipod is there but the connection is in the trunk..?

If you need to have cables made up (production or prototype) I am a manufactureres rep and cable assemblies is something that i do alot of. If i can get a drawing i can get it quoted for (whoever) the owner is... i didnt read this whole post because i dont have that kind of time but i think it would be periferal?

Just throwing it out there...

Last ?- so if i went online and purchased today which cable harness would i get?
Old 11-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by WNY08TLS
Sounds like this is the solution that i came online to find today... i want to use my steering wheel to control it...

So just to be clear the ipod itself is now in the trunk? or are you running a wire into the cabin and the ipod is there but the connection is in the trunk..?

If you need to have cables made up (production or prototype) I am a manufactureres rep and cable assemblies is something that i do alot of. If i can get a drawing i can get it quoted for (whoever) the owner is... i didnt read this whole post because i dont have that kind of time but i think it would be periferal?

Just throwing it out there...

Last ?- so if i went online and purchased today which cable harness would i get?
The iPod is not in the trunk. The module is in the trunk and a wire runs into the vehicle to connect the iPod wherever you want.

Peripheral makes the module and the harness. I think they (the harness) are in production now (peripheral would have to answer for sure). Three of us received the new harness to test out, and that's what we have done.

As far as the steering wheel controls it only controls the volume, at least that's all I have tested. But the new setup allows everything else, hfl, XM, etc. to work as usual.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:08 PM
3GTLS

As far as the steering wheel controls it only controls the volume, at least that's all I have tested. But the new setup allows everything else, hfl, XM, etc. to work as usual.
The steering wheel controls work not only for the volume. You can change songs using the Channel up/down buttons but you have to hold them down, instead of just hitting it.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Instructor

The iPod is not in the trunk. The module is in the trunk and a wire runs into the vehicle to connect the iPod wherever you want.

Peripheral makes the module and the harness. I think they (the harness) are in production now (peripheral would have to answer for sure). Three of us received the new harness to test out, and that's what we have done.

can you check the ch button on your steering wheel? If I'm not mistaken that should change the song.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Pro

using the channel up/down does change the song. as voidtrance said, you have to hold down the button for a second before it changes the track - i find it much easier to just turn the tuning knob to change the track.

voidtrance - when you turn off your car does your ipod turn off? mine just pauses and i have to turn it off manually.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Any updates on the changes for the iPhone 3G? I really really want one of these, but only if it charges my phone as well! I have an '06 TL w/navi and I HATE not being able to listen to my music!!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:06 PM
3GTLS

Originally Posted by playa4real
voidtrance - when you turn off your car does your ipod turn off? mine just pauses and i have to turn it off manually.
Mine just pause too. But that is the default behaviour even if you are using the ipod with headphones. It should turn itself off after some time. (of course, I have an older IPOD and the new ones might have newer power features)
Old 11-15-2008, 03:40 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by lindsaydyan
Any updates on the changes for the iPhone 3G? I really really want one of these, but only if it charges my phone as well! I have an '06 TL w/navi and I HATE not being able to listen to my music!!
We should recieve the updated cables by the end of the month. This is something that we are sending out free of charge if you already have our module!

We already have a vendor and samples. Thanks for the offer. The cable should be available 1Q2009 or by April 2009. It is not just the cable that needs to be made it is the extended ipod cable (20ft) as well. I did get with my boss and he says that the cables are going to be made as it was tested in other Acura vehicles with NAV Traffic.

The part number for the harness is PGHHD2 but will not be available for some time.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:41 PM
PXAMG GuRu

Originally Posted by voidtrance
Mine just pause too. But that is the default behaviour even if you are using the ipod with headphones. It should turn itself off after some time. (of course, I have an older IPOD and the new ones might have newer power features)
Ipod will shut off after it has been paused for 5 mins or so.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ipod will shut off after it has been paused for 5 mins or so.
Peripheral pm sent
Old 11-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Instructor

so we have to wait 3 or so months before we can get the cable that will support the tls?
Old 11-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Advanced

PM sent to Peripheral!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:35 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can I use three audio inputs with this unit? One for iPod, one RCA, and one HD Radio.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:45 AM
PXAMG GuRu

This module only has two ports. No there is talk about maybe in the future comming out with a secondary circuit board to allow for another source. So unfortunately at this time only two sources at a time.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:18 PM
7th Gear

I have a 2008 TL Type S w/NAV. I also have a 3G iPhone AND an iPod Classic (80GB).

Will this new interface work with both devices and charge them both? I'm not sure if the classic uses 12V or not.

Is there an ETA for the newest revision of this interface, other than 1Q2009? I'm dyin', man!! I HATE using that stupid AUX interface wire, the sound sucks going through that thing.

I am a little unclear - is there an interface I could buy today that works 100% with the iPhone 3G, just won't charge? I thought I read that there is, but I want to re-ask the question specifically. Also, current customers will receive the updated interface once its finished? Or will receive an adapter?
Old 11-18-2008, 02:20 PM
7th Gear

Oh, and forgot to mention - a VERY willing test case, as well. Not sure if there's a difference between '07's and '08's, but if you need mine, I'm game! I already have the trunk molding half-way out due to being a complete freak and having to replace the factory amp with JL's.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:25 PM
2nd Gear

I'm aware that this is a TL forum, but after an exhaustive search around the internet, I can't find anyone anywhere who has posted the results of a Peripheral adapter working in a Acura RL (mine is a '05 to be exact). A couple of local resellers where I live insist that Peripheral's iSimple PXAMG/PGHHD1 "should work", but some of what I've read about the TL and RL says the mere existence of the Nav traffic feature (which this vehicle has but I don't subscribe to) creates functionality issues.

Peripheral (or anyone), can you tell me if any of your products are compatible with the '05-'08 RLs?

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Is this reliable? 2004-2008 ACURA TL DIRECT IPOD INPUT+ AUX - LEVEL #4