Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,865 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
That Nexus X rumour is false.

is300eater, depends on what you want out of a phone. Have you messed around with a Note 2 yet?
A little bit, on one hand, it does soooo much more , but on the other hand, I almost want to say too much. Not sure if I'll use all those features. BUT the N4 would get all the updates first including Key Lime eventually I would think
Old 02-07-2013, 02:01 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Go with what's useful instead of what's popular. I went with the N4 because I didn't like Samsung's UI and I can't fit the Note 2 in my jean pocket.

I honestly thought about getting a Note because I love screen space. But when I got to hold it and try to put it in my pocket, it felt really uncomfortable for me. And no I don't wear skinny jeans.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Go with what's useful instead of what's popular. I went with the N4 because I didn't like Samsung's UI and I can't fit the Note 2 in my jean pocket.

I honestly thought about getting a Note because I love screen space. But when I got to hold it and try to put it in my pocket, it felt really uncomfortable for me. And no I don't wear skinny jeans.

that's true... the one thing that I LOVE being able to do is holding the phone one handed and typing with Swiftkey Flow (or that "Swype" style keyboard). It wouldn't be possible with the Note/Note 2.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
I say dont go note 2

especially with key lime pie coming out this summer most likely, you will be left behind.

You seem to love photosphere, you will lose that too.

I know I'm really going to regret not getting a nexus 4 come KLP and will have wished my dad didnt get the note 2 and give me his phone cause I would have had the N4 right now.

I will say in the moment I believe its on par with the N4 but that will soon change....
Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,304 Likes on 958 Posts
I was able to type one handed on a note 2 and I'm 5'9 so it's not like I have freakish hands or anything. However doesn't Samsung (especially in Canada) take a long time to get OS updates if that's what you want?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
A little bit, on one hand, it does soooo much more , but on the other hand, I almost want to say too much. Not sure if I'll use all those features. BUT the N4 would get all the updates first including Key Lime eventually I would think
Can you list the features that you love on the Note 2 that the Nexus 4 does not have? That'll help us help you decide easier.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 PM
I shoot people

I decided to keep it and I'm glad with my decision

Originally Posted by speedemon90
I say dont go note 2

especially with key lime pie coming out this summer most likely, you will be left behind.

You seem to love photosphere, you will lose that too.

I know I'm really going to regret not getting a nexus 4 come KLP and will have wished my dad didnt get the note 2 and give me his phone cause I would have had the N4 right now.

I will say in the moment I believe its on par with the N4 but that will soon change....
yeah, the upcoming KLP was a big reason

Originally Posted by Doom878
I was able to type one handed on a note 2 and I'm 5'9 so it's not like I have freakish hands or anything. However doesn't Samsung (especially in Canada) take a long time to get OS updates if that's what you want?
well, I do that "Swype"/Swiftkey Flow style typing using my thumb (one handed), and there's no way MY thumb would reach across to the left side of the screen. It's a semi effort now since the N4 is slightly bigger

Can you list the features that you love on the Note 2 that the Nexus 4 does not have? That'll help us help you decide easier.
well, the S pen... I like all the stuff you can do with it, like hover over a picture and it pops up.... I have a Chrome extension on the desktop that does something like that and I really like it. I like how when you're checking email and say.... someone has sent you a link or some kind of attachment, you can open it and the screen overlays on top of the email... things like that... or all those YouTube videos where guys are showing off their NOTE 2 "Hey, look what my phone can do (and your's can't)" LOL

but still, truthfully, I probably wouldn't use those features 90% of the time... so... I decided to take quicker updates from Google over features that I will NOT be using 90% instead.

and also NOT having to shell out another $250 or so for the NOTE 2... and having to deal with selling the N4 in Craigslist... The competition in CL is very high right now, since the Play Store got the N4 in stock again, a lot of those asshats that were trying to profit off their N4s are struggling to sell them at cost... unless it's literally sealed, unopened... then you can get away with selling it at cost and not take a lost.

Last edited by is300eater; 02-08-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Goodbye.

Cool! Glad you're glad.

One thing I do not like about the N4 without rooting is that you cannot turn off the camera/videocam shutter sound
Old 02-08-2013, 02:15 PM
I shoot people

damn, the face unlock screen feature is FAST on the N4!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 PM
I shoot people

I should give a quick input on the N4 so far... just from having it for under 24 hours... The ONE annoyance about the GNex was the reception... I live in a high rise and in the elevator, NO ONE has reception... but with the GNex... I'd get to my condo and would have to wait and wait before I get cell service, I would often times just do reboots... I never admitted to this, but I was rebooting my GNex 5-6 times a day because of the weak reception. I'd take the Skytrain (subway) somewhere and no, there aren't any service down there with my carrier.... so, when I come out of the Skytrain, I'd have to reboot... parking garages too. I mean... if I didn't reboot... I would eventually get reception sometimes the wait isn't too bad, but sometimes it's a long wait... so which is why I would just reboot.

With the N4... the reception is back by the time I reach my condo, not quite as fast as the HTC Sensation that I had briefly tho.... that thing would get reception literally as I stepped out of the elevator, and into the hallway of my floor.

As for GPS, I haven't tried the navigation yet... but when I launch Ingress... it picks up my position almost immediately... with the GNex... it would take up to a minute, sometimes it wouldn't pick up my position at all and I'd have to close the app and re-start it.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:41 PM

Yea I love the speed of the GPS lock on the N4. Never before have Yelp been such a joy to use.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
well, the S pen... I like all the stuff you can do with it, like hover over a picture and it pops up....
I don't know about the other Note 2 users in this thread, but IMHO the S Pen is pretty damn useless -its fun to play with for the first week or so.. and its a neat idea, but its much better suited for a tablet.

N4 is a great device, the only real advantage the Note 2 has is screen size and SD slot (if you care for that).

Samsung is getting better with updates, but still terribly slow compared to Google/Nexus product line. With phones though, its usually the carriers that are the biggest bottle necks. I think Roger/Bell is faster than the US carriers. AT&T is slow, and Verizon is ass slow pushing updates.

Of course if you flash roms, the above is a moot point, but those roms usually are still based off Google/Nexus release versions.

That's the great thing about Nexus devices - fastest updates period. Looking forward to KLP on my Nex10.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:53 PM
I shoot people

...and btw... the N4 is made in Korea vs China like everything else these days... that may or may not mean anything, I'm just sayin'
Old 02-08-2013, 03:01 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
N4 is a great device, the only real advantage the Note 2 has is screen size and SD slot (if you care for that).
having a SD card slot would have been nice, but I can live without it... it's not being able to change batteries that might be an issue. I'm constantly on my phone, browsing and now playing Ingress which is a battery drainer. But when I come home to LA next month, I'm going to order some kind of power bank battery pack thingy... (cheaper and faster to ship California vs Canada).

Last edited by is300eater; 02-08-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Suzuka Master

congrats on keeping the n4

hey civic did you end up keeping it as well??

I'm super jealous of all of you
Old 02-08-2013, 04:20 PM

For me, the days of needing bigger phone storage is long gone due to cloud storage. I subscribe to spotify so no need to load music onto my phone. All the pictures I take gets backed up to picasa.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Samsung is getting better with updates, but still terribly slow compared to Google/Nexus product line. With phones though, its usually the carriers that are the biggest bottle necks. I think Roger/Bell is faster than the US carriers. AT&T is slow, and Verizon is ass slow pushing updates.

Of course if you flash roms, the above is a moot point, but those roms usually are still based off Google/Nexus release versions.

That's the great thing about Nexus devices - fastest updates period. Looking forward to KLP on my Nex10.
Actually, Canadian carriers get screwed the most when it comes to updates because at times, their update cycle stops ridiculously early and their contracts are on a 3 year basis. For example, some of their phones are still stuck on Froyo, while the US variants have GB. That's the one plus of the Nexus line - doesn't get limited by location.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
For me, the days of needing bigger phone storage is long gone due to cloud storage. I subscribe to spotify so no need to load music onto my phone. All the pictures I take gets backed up to picasa.
This is actually a solid point.

Between Dropbox, MS Skydrive, Asus Webstorage, I have about 15-20 gigs of cloud storage space.

congrats on keeping the n4

hey civic did you end up keeping it as well??

I'm super jealous of all of you
You know Speed.. you can probably try to trade your S3 for an N4 if you really want to over at XDA. Some of those guys get bored of phones quick and will look for swaps.

Actually, Canadian carriers get screwed the most when it comes to updates because at times, their update cycle stops ridiculously early and their contracts are on a 3 year basis. For example, some of their phones are still stuck on Froyo, while the US variants have GB. That's the one plus of the Nexus line - doesn't get limited by location.
Ah good to know. I only know that the the 4.2 update on Canadian S3's were out a few weeks earlier than AT&T.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Suzuka Master

i dunno if i'd trust a trade like that haha

maybe on craigslist hmmm I'll keep an eye out.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Goodbye.

PSA for all the new/current Nexus 4 owners, you can get free 50gb of storage from Box . net by simply logging into the Box . net app on your phone.

Only downside to it is that you can only upload files that max out at 100mb.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

I get 50gb of dropbox sucker :P
Old 02-08-2013, 05:46 PM

speedemon90, you don't have to beat yourself up for owning a SGSIII. It's a great device. The only difference is the UI. They're still both Android. We all get the same app and core features. Both have great processor and camera. So I don't think you're missing out on anything.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

ohh i'm not necessarily beating myself up yet... wait for KLP.

I argued before that my phone is almost on par with the N4 and I do believe i have the second best phone on the market right now available to me.

I dont wanna make another thread for this but eric schmidt is selling half his stock he owns in google and is taking in 2.51 billion dollars

Last edited by speedemon90; 02-08-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 PM
I shoot people

^^^just think, he still has 58% in the company. He could literally wipe his ass with $100 everyday until he dies and it wouldn't even put a dent in his wealth
Old 02-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

according to the verge he only owns like 3% could be wrong
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 PM
I shoot people

according to the verge he only owns like 3% could be wrong
"only"? Having had owned 3% of Google is A LOT! so, now he's down to about 1.5% and the company is only going to keep growing
Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
that's true... the one thing that I LOVE being able to do is holding the phone one handed and typing with Swiftkey Flow (or that "Swype" style keyboard). It wouldn't be possible with the Note/Note 2.
The Note II stock keyboard (which has a modified version of SwiftKey built in btw) has an option that allows you to move the keyboard to the left or right depending on whether you're right handed or left handed:

Now this is only true if you use the stock keyboard but typing one handed on the Note II is feasible. Other actions will probably require two hands.

I should give a quick input on the N4 so far... just from having it for under 24 hours... The ONE annoyance about the GNex was the reception... I live in a high rise and in the elevator, NO ONE has reception... but with the GNex... I'd get to my condo and would have to wait and wait before I get cell service, I would often times just do reboots... I never admitted to this, but I was rebooting my GNex 5-6 times a day because of the weak reception. I'd take the Skytrain (subway) somewhere and no, there aren't any service down there with my carrier.... so, when I come out of the Skytrain, I'd have to reboot... parking garages too. I mean... if I didn't reboot... I would eventually get reception sometimes the wait isn't too bad, but sometimes it's a long wait... so which is why I would just reboot.

With the N4... the reception is back by the time I reach my condo, not quite as fast as the HTC Sensation that I had briefly tho.... that thing would get reception literally as I stepped out of the elevator, and into the hallway of my floor.

As for GPS, I haven't tried the navigation yet... but when I launch Ingress... it picks up my position almost immediately... with the GNex... it would take up to a minute, sometimes it wouldn't pick up my position at all and I'd have to close the app and re-start it.
Sounds like you Galaxy Nexus was buggy cause I don't have any of those issues...Then again, I'm running a custom kernel and CM 10. Have you tried flashing a different modem to see if that fixed your reception issue? Should also fix any GPS issues as they kinda go hand in hand. The only difference that the N4 has vs. the Nexus in terms of GPS is the GLONASS GPS support. Otherwise they should be the same as both have a barometer to help lock position. My GPS locks pretty instantaneously and notice that with Ingress, turning on WiFi even if there's no APs available helps lock it in even faster.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1405345

^XXLH1 is the latest as far as I'm aware. Flash it like a normal zip in CWM. For North America, anything that starts with a "UG" is made specifically for that region. "XX" is for Europe but it works fine on my end. I've had good results with UGLA4 before too.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:19 AM
Suzuka Master

"only"? Having had owned 3% of Google is A LOT! so, now he's down to about 1.5% and the company is only going to keep growing
i said only based off you saying he owned 58%
Old 02-09-2013, 02:25 AM
I shoot people

i said only based off you saying he owned 58%
my bad... sorry, I didn't even notice... but you know I meant
Old 02-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,220 Likes on 4,853 Posts
El oh el

Old 02-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

not sure what el oh el means but that is a lot of screen on time.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:22 PM

El oh el. Say it out loud....

But yea, I was bored today. Woke up around noon, hopped on the phone, was way too lazy to get out of bed until ~2. Went downstairs, and was browsing forums for another 2 hrs. Considering the amount of use in that time, its not horrible.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

yea its pretty good i think
you still have the phone so i guess its works out for you on the workdays??
Old 02-09-2013, 06:46 PM

Yea, I typically get home with around 10% left. We'll really see how it is on the 27th. Im working overnight, its a 14hr service call
Old 02-09-2013, 06:47 PM
I shoot people

Buying a power bank this coming week
Old 02-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Goodbye.

Buying a power bank this coming week
Do you know which one yet?
Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
yeah my battery on my galaxy note is usually done by 3-ish...I take it off charging at 8-ish....

it has a 2500mah battery....was thinking of upgrading that to a 2700mah battery....yes, i am a very heavy user LOL
Old 02-09-2013, 08:46 PM
I shoot people

Do you know which one yet?
Not yet, it might be something random for now or I may just get something from Monoprice when I come home to cali next month
Old 02-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Suzuka Master

FFFUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKK MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

my screen cracked
it fell off my desk and hit a horizontal leg going across on the bottom... and just hit it too judging by where the crack is.

And its not like my NS where you couldnt feel the cracks. I can feel it it and some small fragments splinter off even if i rub over it fml wowowowowoowow

FUUUUU
GREAT
WOW
BS
FUCK
AHHHH
SHIT
DAMN
IT

Last edited by speedemon90; 02-09-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread