Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,944 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Damn it, there are 2 N4s for sale in Craigslist locally at cost and I don't really have the funds for it. But still not sure if it's what I want or wait for the announcements at the Mobile Congress thingy
Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Nice! Supposedly my class is going to play with the school's 3D printer. This just gave me an idea on what I want to make!
Nice!! My department in undergrad had one! My team printed things for our senior design project

Originally Posted by is300eater
I still don't understand the concept of 3D printers
haha it prints in 3D!!

The one we had in undergrad it would basically layer ABS plastic on top of each other. In thins lines it would just layer and layer. Takes a very long time. It also uses support material so the ABS plastic doesnt fall on its self when there's wholes and things like that. After its done, the piece is ABS plastic with support material around it in places where it would fall and then you put it into this bath where the support material will dissolve and ABS plastic would have been able to hold itself by then.

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Sony's Bravia Engine relates to the screen colors. It supposedly boosts the colors/contrasts notably in videos. I was under the impression that it was a placebo effect outside of the Sony phones because the display would require the necessary hardware to use it. (Not usually found outside of Sony phones) Not sure if thats changed now. Just think of it being similar to Voodoo colors but done automatically.

ohh i see, thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Damn it, there are 2 N4s for sale in Craigslist locally at cost and I don't really have the funds for it. But still not sure if it's what I want or wait for the announcements at the Mobile Congress thingy
what price is it going for on there???
Yes i'm too lazy to check haha
Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by speedemon90
what price is it going for on there???
Yes i'm too lazy to check haha
one is $400 -16G, condition is 9.5/10 and the other is $420 for a 16G also but in new condition with the plastic still on it. (the tax here is 12% so about $43, you have to factor in... and the price tag for the 16G in Canada is $359, and $17 for shipping)

the rest are asking $475 and up to $550
Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by speedemon90

haha it prints in 3D!!

The one we had in undergrad it would basically layer ABS plastic on top of each other. In thins lines it would just layer and layer. Takes a very long time. It also uses support material so the ABS plastic doesnt fall on its self when there's wholes and things like that. After its done, the piece is ABS plastic with support material around it in places where it would fall and then you put it into this bath where the support material will dissolve and ABS plastic would have been able to hold itself by then.
so, isn't that technically "4D"?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

lol no dude, 4D includes a time dimension

its 3D

3D refers to it having a physical shape basically.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
I just found out the Xperia Z won't have the proper LTE bands for AT&T and is only Quadband HSPA+. Sony will be releasing another version of the Z without any LTE modem and will be Pentaband that should work with T-Mobile. The ZL will support AT&T's LTE bands but I'm not a fan of the ZL design. It doesn't make sense. How does Sony's flagship phone not have the proper LTE bands but the lower version of its flagship gets it? I guess the search for the next phone continues. There's no way I'm gonna pay the full unlocked price and not get LTE support at this point. If it was the same price as the Nexus 4 I wouldn't mind so much but this will be close to double the price of it.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/2013...a-smartphones/
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
I just found out the Xperia Z won't have the proper LTE bands for AT&T and is only Quadband HSPA+. Sony will be releasing another version of the Z without any LTE modem and will be Pentaband that should work with T-Mobile. The ZL will support AT&T's LTE bands but I'm not a fan of the ZL design. It doesn't make sense. How does Sony's flagship phone not have the proper LTE bands but the lower version of its flagship gets it? I guess the search for the next phone continues. There's no way I'm gonna pay the full unlocked price and not get LTE support at this point. If it was the same price as the Nexus 4 I wouldn't mind so much but this will be close to double the price of it.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/2013...a-smartphones/
LOL. Did I call or, or did I call it?

I knew the ZL was the one coming to the states. BTW, the ZL isn't the lower version per se. It's just that outside of Japan, no market has a huge desire for waterproof phones. And when you don't have the power name backing like Apple or now Samsung, you have to play by silly US carrier demands and if no carrier wants the Z, but will take the ZL, then you gotta do what you gotta do to sell some phones in the US to maintain some form of relevancy before the future plan of a full on assault unto the US market.

US carriers. Killing hopes and dreams since cdma.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (02-01-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Safety Car

^Seriously. Stupid US carriers.

Its not that the ZL is crappier per se. It has the same specs and then some (camera button, IR Blaster, smaller profile lengthwise). What bothers me is it just doesn't have the same design appeal. I could care less about the waterproofing as I don't see a situation where I'd be using my phone in such case. I'm concerned about the plastic design, thicker body and the heavier weight. I guess it could be solved with a case but it just doesn't look as good as the Z design wise. I'll see how the pricing difference between the two goes I guess but at this point I think I'm gonna wait it out unless someone can fix the USB OTG issue with the Nexus 4 cause that's really the main thing holding me back from getting a 4.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Same case with my wife when she got an Xperia Arc. She bought it but didn't realize it didn't have the band for T-Mobile's 3G network and had to use EDGE for about a year

Guess how happy she was when she upgraded to a 4G SGSIII
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Safety Car

Yeah I don't understand why manufacturers decide to remove features like that. I'm sure an extra LTE radio wouldn't make the phone that much thicker. It doesn't make sense resource wise to create multiple devices versus supporting just one that had all the features needed. But what do I know I guess. The ZL does look a little bit better in white. I guess the matte black that most people are holding just makes it look bland. Maybe its time to get a non-black phone this time around and if it means a cheaper phone than the Z then I guess it wouldn't be too bad. I'll probably have to see them both in person.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Safety Car

YouTube comment from the PocketNow hands on with the ZL:

no reason to get the Z unless you wanna masturbate in the shower with your phone
Old 01-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Goodbye.

I still think that the ZL was created by carrier demand. If you look at the Tablet Z, it looks just like the Xperia Z. Whereas the ZL looks more like the upcoming mid-tier Xperia %.

Should the ZL come out to AT&T very soon, then it was definitely created by carrier dabbling. Just look at the Ion and Arc S. They both launched at the same time, but the Ion only went to the US and that was confirmed to be a modification by AT&T's testing/meddling.

The only international Sony phone that was also sold by AT&T untouched was the Xperia T aka 007 phone. Even then, Germany got their own Xperia TL, which didn't have much changes other than power & volume buttons placement.

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 01-29-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Safety Car

^Yeah sucks. Oh well, I'll have to see the phone in person. I've seen the Arc S and was impressed with the design and feel on that one. Also most of the sites that compared the Z and ZL say the ZL feels better in the hand because its not as long so I guess that counts too. If the price is a $100 difference then I'll consider it. If its only $50 less expensive then its not that much more savings than Sony is making it out to be. The only good I can see if I get the Z is that I can keep my $10 MediaNet unlimited data plan with AT&T since they won't be selling it...

In other news, the Nexus 4 seems to be coming back in stock. I hope Google announces a slightly bigger internal with USB OTG at I/O for the same price. Maybe even an LTE version.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Goodbye.

PSA:

NEXUS 4 ARE LIVE ON THE GOOGLE PLAY STORE!!!!!!!!!

Along with OEM bumpers!!!! GET THEM BEFORE THEY SELL OUT AGAIN!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
PSA:

Damn June is such a long time away. Must remind myself that I'm broke so I don't make a random purchase. Lol. I'll probably end up getting a Nexus again since the Z dashed my hopes with the missing LTE bands but I will wait it out. Must resist putting myself into more debt for now...
Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
^ I can't understand why they didn't add a microSDHC slot up to 32GB in those.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Scottman111
^ I can't understand why they didn't add a microSDHC slot up to 32GB in those.
Nexus devices will never get SD card slots. Its been discussed many times with many reasons but the main one was it was a OS design reason. Many of the SD cards are hacked onto the Android code so they're never really taken into consideration by the OS or apps which is why almost all apps still install their data files on the internal even if you have an external sd card. It gets pretty messy fast. Google doesn't want people having to deal with a File Explorer of some sort to manage their files on the internal and external card which becomes confusing for consumers.

What irks me more is the fact that they forgot USB OTG even though they advertised it as having it then later retracting the statement on their support site. For such a small internal size, a USB OTG setup would've solved that issue but they probably forgot to test it.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
YLOD PS3 so Note 2 might get pushed back. FUUUUUUUUU
Old 01-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Doom878
YLOD PS3 so Note 2 might get pushed back. FUUUUUUUUU
That sucks. How much does that usually cost to repair?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:55 PM
I shoot people

PSA:

Thanks, my girlfriend just ordered it for me, for my birthday

That 12% British Columbia tax sucks ass tho
Old 01-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Goodbye.

Thanks, my girlfriend just ordered it for me, for my birthday

That 12% British Columbia tax sucks ass tho
At least you got great healthcare

And did somebody say white Nexus?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM
I shoot people

At least you got great healthcare
actually I don't... or at least not yet because I don't have a living status here... I'm American, on a "long visit" here... But I'm going to apply for something later this year so that I can get some benefits. But for the meantime, everything I buy, paying that tax doesn't (really) apply to me
Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Goodbye.

Think of it as great sights and viewpoints tax haha. I need to go back to BC sometime soon, it's amazing there.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 PM
I shoot people

but talk about small world... back in SoCal... my mom and sister live in city of Walnut, which is every small town (sorta), that's where CGFebTSX04 is from
Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Safety Car

but talk about small world... back in SoCal... my mom and sister live in city of Walnut, which is every small town (sorta), that's where CGFebTSX04 is from
Wow. That's crazy. Probably neighbors too. Haha. Yeah Walnut is a pretty small city. Lots of Asians around here.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:38 PM

Nexus devices will never get SD card slots. Its been discussed many times with many reasons but the main one was it was a OS design reason. Many of the SD cards are hacked onto the Android code so they're never really taken into consideration by the OS or apps which is why almost all apps still install their data files on the internal even if you have an external sd card. It gets pretty messy fast. Google doesn't want people having to deal with a File Explorer of some sort to manage their files on the internal and external card which becomes confusing for consumers.

What irks me more is the fact that they forgot USB OTG even though they advertised it as having it then later retracting the statement on their support site. For such a small internal size, a USB OTG setup would've solved that issue but they probably forgot to test it.
I would have probably waited for the Nexus 4 if they supported 32GB sdhc card. When I found out it didn't have it at all, I never thought twice about not getting one. Incredibly dumb IMO, and the reasoning makes no sense to me at least.

My current phone has about 20 GB of music on it alone, so what good does 16GB internal storage do for me? I understand they want you to store stuff (movies, pics, etc) in the Cloud and access it from there, but that doesn't apply to a lot of people.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
So after attempting the force update method to get my phone to update to 4.2 by clearing the google services framework data then checking for updates, my phone has an "error downloading [app]" popup whenever I try to update any app from the play store.

I've tried signing out of my google account, logging into another one, signing back into my original, hard reset, clearing framework data and rebooting the phone, etc. I'm this close to doing a factory reset.

I am never going back to Verizon again. I gave them a chance this time after 5 years with AT&T but Verizon seems awful at pushing out updates.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Scottman111
I would have probably waited for the Nexus 4 if they supported 32GB sdhc card. When I found out it didn't have it at all, I never thought twice about not getting one. Incredibly dumb IMO, and the reasoning makes no sense to me at least.

My current phone has about 20 GB of music on it alone, so what good does 16GB internal storage do for me? I understand they want you to store stuff (movies, pics, etc) in the Cloud and access it from there, but that doesn't apply to a lot of people.
Yeah it sucks but its business. They're pushing the cloud so you can buy services from them. Its great if you have unlimited data but those are slowly going away. USB OTG solves the limited storage issue as you could hook up a SD Card reader or external USB drive to the phone but the 4 doesn't have it. The only Nexus so far that doesn't. There are similar phones spec wise to the Nexus with a MicroSD slot that are coming out like the Xperia Z/ZL, Droid DNA and I'm sure there will be plenty more once MWC begins in the next few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if Google released a 32 GB version of the 4 at I/O in May. Probably take the $350 price range and drop the 16 GB to $300 like they did with the Nexus 7.

Originally Posted by Costco
So after attempting the force update method to get my phone to update to 4.2 by clearing the google services framework data then checking for updates, my phone has an "error downloading [app]" popup whenever I try to update any app from the play store.

I've tried signing out of my google account, logging into another one, signing back into my original, hard reset, clearing framework data and rebooting the phone, etc. I'm this close to doing a factory reset.

I am never going back to Verizon again. I gave them a chance this time after 5 years with AT&T but Verizon seems awful at pushing out updates.
You've pretty much done all I could think of. I would suggest clearing out the Play Store data and reboot a few times. Sometimes logging back into your account doesn't get registered immediately. Otherwise factory reset it is.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 01-29-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM

Yeah it sucks but its business. They're pushing the cloud so you can buy services from them. Its great if you have unlimited data but those are slowly going away. USB OTG solves the limited storage issue as you could hook up a SD Card reader or external USB drive to the phone but the 4 doesn't have it. The only Nexus so far that doesn't. There are similar phones spec wise to the Nexus with a MicroSD slot that are coming out like the Xperia Z/ZL, Droid DNA and I'm sure there will be plenty more once MWC begins in the next few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if Google released a 32 GB version of the 4 at I/O in May. Probably take the $350 price range and drop the 16 GB to $300 like they did with the Nexus 7.

I guess they're forgetting about people living in rural areas like myself. Sure I can stream music off the cloud when I'm on home wifi or in a city, but I can drive for 10 minutes in any direction away from my house and not get a data signal, so what happens then? Not to mention when I'm out on my boat and want to listen to music.

As for USB OTG, just another thing to carry around that I don't have to with my current phone. It sucks that it was a deal breaker, but they lost my business on this one

You're right about the 32 GB internal storage...that would have made more sense. If you're going to make it all internal, at least keep close to what the external slots are capable of supporting.

Sorry for bitching, it's not at you, just Google who normally seems to have more common sense
Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 PM

I didn't realize the socal talk in here! Off topic for a bit but ate you the same tsx luster from SD on tsx club?

Back on topic. I was about to get the OEM bumper but out came out to $30

I'm just gonna keep using the poetic bumper I got for $10 shipped
Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Safety Car

^Sounds like a viet cafe Azine meet is due.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
I didn't realize the socal talk in here! Off topic for a bit but ate you the same tsx luster from SD on tsx club?

Back on topic. I was about to get the OEM bumper but out came out to $30

I'm just gonna keep using the poetic bumper I got for $10 shipped
Yes...

There's some ebay seller that is selling replica OEM bumpers for cheap.... and by replica, I mean actual product but somehow not being sold via official channels.

^Sounds like a viet cafe Azine meet is due.
LOL. Why does it always have to be Viet, though?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:20 PM

Yes...
Asking to see if you checked Regions lately on tsx club? We're having a 4th annual crown point meet like last year where you had to jump into a moving convoy, haha.

Btw sorry about those typos, was typing on my phone in class.

Last edited by mdkxtreme; 01-29-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Safety Car

Nice scenery. Lol.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Any new Androids coming to Verizon soon? Still have the gnex and just curious.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Safety Car

^Nothing mind blowing announced so far. Verizon's top Android phones so far would be the Note II and the Droid DNA. Besides the battery life on the DNA, it should have a pretty long shelf life considering it has similar parts to the Nexus 4 except for the camera and the 1080p screen.

HTC might have something new coming up as they're having an announcement mid-February. The Motorola X Phone is supposedly coming to all carriers and should be announced around Google I/O in May. They got some interesting rumors on that phone so I wonder what'll be true and what will remain rumors.
The following users liked this post:
FiftyFive (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 PM
I shoot people

Wow. That's crazy. Probably neighbors too. Haha. Yeah Walnut is a pretty small city. Lots of Asians around here.
wait, are you Asian?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
my friend got a DNA after being a longtime iPhone user. He loves it. I really like the soft touch texture and that screen is arguably the very best on any phone I've seen yet. Didn't know about the battery life, shame.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Safety Car

wait, are you Asian?
Lol.

Originally Posted by Costco
my friend got a DNA after being a longtime iPhone user. He loves it. I really like the soft touch texture and that screen is arguably the very best on any phone I've seen yet. Didn't know about the battery life, shame.
Yeah the battery is not the best but it gets the job done. I forgot that the DNA works on AT&T's HSPA+ network as it is unlocked out straight from Verizon. Won't work on T-Mobile's HSPA+ (except in refarmed 1900 areas) or on LTE on either network though.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread