Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

MLB: 2008 Season Discussion Thread...

Old 07-27-2008, 11:49 AM
101 years of heartache...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
the Cubbies will be back winning in no time.
in 1 week's time; they play the Brewers in a 4 game set. And I have to go to the one game CC pitches in tomorrow
Old 07-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Race Director

Lotsa thanks to roll out tonight.

First and foremost: Thank-you, Jermaine Dye.

Thank-you also, Todd Jones for serving up that gift...

And last but not least...thank-you to the overrated Indians for finally giving all the early preseason experts who picked them to be a possible division winner something to crow about.
the sox need to trade javier vasquez and jose contreras, they both suck!
Old 07-27-2008, 04:01 PM

:heatyourheartoutGoCubsGo55:

how about Samardzjia?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mokos23
the sox need to trade javier vasquez and jose contreras, they both suck!
Contreras for Marquis straight up
Old 07-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
Contreras for Marquis straight up
that wouldn't help either team
Old 07-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,949 Likes on 14,062 Posts
in 1 week's time; they play the Brewers in a 4 game set. And I have to go to the one game CC pitches in tomorrow
Well, see...they won today.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Series against the Twips coming up...

Yo, IlliNorge...you ready to RUMBLE?!??
Old 07-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
Nice split by the Fish. Shoulda won yesterday but Vanden Hurk is inconsistent. Hopefully when Sanchez comes back the rotation will be complete.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Doom878
Shoulda won yesterday but Vanden Hurk is inconsistent..
Well if we go that route, the Cubs should have won the first 3 games and lost yesterday. Coulda shoulda doesn't count.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Team Owner

Sore much? You guys should've won the WS in 03 but you know how that goes.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
zing!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:09 PM

funny. So tell me do the senior citizens get an early bird special on season tickets down there, because even the winningest of teams doesn't draw much of a crowd. Oh, and let's see if the Dolphins can win just 1 game in the first half of the season. After all, it has been quite some time since your last significant playoff appearance. The Heat, 'canes, and Dolphins all sucked last year, but HEY, you've got the Marlins trying to beat out NY and PHI. That should keep the 80 year olds active in the retirement homes
Old 07-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Team Owner

Actually the young folks are still hung over from the Heat championship. Apparently so are the Heat players. The old people are doing the Super Bowl Shuffle with their Ditka glasses on. Apparently they're reliving their teenage years, it was so long ago. And don't forget what college your best player went to aka greatest kick returner off all time.

In all seriousness, Heat games were sold out for a long time and the Fish still don't draw. They drew the season after the last WS. But the year after when they dealt Delgado, it was back to emptiness. The retirees don't make it to the stadium since they have to drive.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Interesting Article on Manny Ramirez...

Okay...I did NOT know that Manny AVOIDS pitchers so that he can inflate his numbers.

What a disgrace...

Article is from ESPN...

Everyone in the clubhouse knows the names. Joba Chamberlain (twice), Felix Hernandez (twice), Edinson Volquez, Justin Verlander -- pitchers that Manny Ramirez didn't feel quite right to face, be it a knee, a hamstring, his contract or the pitcher's velocity, and those he left for someone else in the Red Sox "family" to face.

Everyone knows what this latest soap opera is about. It's about Manny being only about Manny -- not the team that will have paid him $168 million when this season's over, not "teammates" he leaves to answer for him, not winning or any competitive motivation.

No. Manny being Manny means Manny wanting money. He doesn't want to wait for the Red Sox to exercise the right he gave them for the first $168M, the right to decide at the end of the season whether to pick up his option for 2009 at $20M. The Red Sox fulfilled their end of the contract; now he doesn't want to fulfill his obligation, the same way he watched his teammates fade in 2006.

He knows that this winter -- when he's 36, turning 37 next May -- he has a better chance of scoring the four-year, $100M deal he has told teammates he can get than he will after the 2010 season, when he'll be 38 turning 39. He doesn't want to have to sweat for two years at a measly $20M, and everyone knows that he couldn't care less how he gets that $100M, even if it means sitting out and leaving "family" fighting it out without him.

Manny is right. The Red Sox are tired of him. They are not going to pick up the option for 2009 and spend one more year as his prisoner. What he wants is to go to another team, on which he can put up big numbers for two months and either get that new contract, or go out on the market. Rationally, one would think he could do that in Boston -- first help the Red Sox into the postseason, then hit the market.

But that assumes rationality is in play.

Scott Boras intervened and helped the fine/anger-management solution after Ramirez shoved traveling secretary Jack McCormick. And Boras right now is trying to help Manny understand that it is in his best interest to, in Boras' words, "fulfill his current obligation," and put up the free-agent numbers here in Boston, where he has David Ortiz to take the heat Manny ignores, with five All-Stars in the lineup around him.

Oh, we all hear the analysis of how much the Red Sox need him. That is, if he doesn't bag it, which he was willing to do until John Henry and Tom Werner joined with Theo Epstein and Terry Francona on Friday, enraged at him for skipping Chamberlain, and forced him to take an MRI for the knee affliction known as Felix-Joba-itis.

But over the weekend, when they had one of those rare important series, with the Yankees charging on the outside, Red Sox management and players got a taste of what the series, the pennant and winning mean to him. Manny is right: Enough is enough. But management has to worry that if he gets booed he'll quit. Or that if Manny is criticized, he'll sit.

They are trying to get other teams interested. In the clubhouse, they talk about maybe getting Pat Burrell from the Phillies and reuniting Manny with Charlie Manuel. The Sox have let teams know they'll take care of Ramirez's remaining money if they'll provide young talent, which, considering what Manny can do for the Mets or Phillies or Dodgers, is a nice free-home demonstration; he won't have had time to "tire" of owners who pay him as much as the entire Florida Marlins team.

Ortiz, Mike Lowell, Alex Cora and other players are trying to help Manny focus and play in Boston; he works out with Lowell and Cora regularly, and some days he listens as they try to get him to connect the dots between the concepts of performance and pay. Maybe it'll work, and even if they do not win the World Series, they can rationalize that what they got for eight years and $168M was a pair of world championships and years of sellouts. They can rationalize that Manny essentially was The Fens' version of "Damn Yankees," and they'd probably say it was worth it to sell their souls to end that 86-year thing. But the interest rate on those payments of $20M and their souls is getting a tad steep.

Then the Red Sox move on and try to find another left-field bat. In the meantime, they may have to spend the rest of the year wondering if Manny Ramirez cares to play, whether the opposing pitcher is on his wish list.

Manny clearly has decided that he has already fulfilled his obligation to the first eight-year contract, and wants the next $100M right now. In the real world, this is a form of blackmail. In the clubhouse, where Francona and his teammates have allowed him to live by his own rules knowing that his production is Cooperstown material, many are exhausted by his disdain for the game, for winning and for any form of authority.

What Henry, Werner and Larry Lucchino should do is call a press conference and announce extensions for Francona and Epstein for all they have had to swallow because Manny Ramirez can hit. Then they can watch and see if a 36-year-old DH whose production in 2007 and 2008 has fallen below his 1998-2006 levels will go out and prove he's worth four years and $100M and ride off into the sunset snubbing his nose at the people who paid him $168M.

If he doesn't understand that these two months are vital to his next $100M, fine. If there isn't a reasonable trade to be made, fine.

After years of his public defenders rationalizing that the Red Sox can't win without him, if they can't win with him, so be it. At least the Red Sox can feel clean and sober.

A group of Red Sox watched the Yankees take early batting practice Friday, and they complimented the way Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Bobby Abreu and Johnny Damon show up every day. "Say what you want about A-Rod," said one, "but he plays every day and he plays his behind off."

Rodriguez opted out of his contract after an MVP season. What Ramirez is doing is trying to opt out in the middle of his contract during the season.

What the Red Sox hope is that he listens to Boras and his teammates and fulfills the obligation he signed. And then there's a train, either way, leaving every day. And buyer beware of a man who chooses to be judged by numbers and salary, with no regard for character or integrity.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
One of the only dudes I can say I seriously HATE in the MLB. He ruins the game
Old 07-29-2008, 02:43 AM

unexpected result last night, we left Miller Park with my W flag waving. Oh, and Brewers fans are seriously stuck in the 90s. "Hey, Cubs fan, does the W stand for WUSSY, or WHIMP?"
Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
In all seriousness, Heat games were sold out for a long time and the Fish still don't draw. They drew the season after the last WS. But the year after when they dealt Delgado, it was back to emptiness. The retirees don't make it to the stadium since they have to drive.
hey doom, i'll be down there in a couple weeks for the Cubs series
...i believe your comment about the stadium's emptiness, tickets were ridiculously easy to get

i'm sitting behind home plate all three games, and i'll be decked out in Cubs gear ...i'll be sure to post my findings in your "what happens if I wear my jersey in your arena/city?" thread
Old 07-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Series against the Twips coming up...

Yo, IlliNorge...you ready to RUMBLE?!??
Well, one of us is ready. :wink:

I was worried that our offense only put up one TD, luckily the defense didn't allow anyone to cross the 50-yard line.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
Well, one of us is ready. :wink:

I was worried that our offense only put up one TD, luckily the defense didn't allow anyone to cross the 50-yard line.

How many games back are they again?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by paz840
hey doom, i'll be down there in a couple weeks for the Cubs series
...i believe your comment about the stadium's emptiness, tickets were ridiculously easy to get

i'm sitting behind home plate all three games, and i'll be decked out in Cubs gear ...i'll be sure to post my findings in your "what happens if I wear my jersey in your arena/city?" thread
Oh wow have fun when you come down. You can load up on supplies at the Wal-Mart next to the stadium if you want to eat/drink before. Bring plenty of sun tan lotion (if it's a day game which are usually Sunday games) and a poncho since it will probably sprinkle. No umbrellas allowed. Parking is $10 cash I believe. What day is your game on? I'll see if I can catch you in hi-def.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
thanks for the tips

I'll be down there for a week, but the Cubs games I'm going to are on 8/15, 8/16 and 8/17.

...are brooms allowed?
Old 07-29-2008, 11:25 AM

...are brooms allowed?
please , like the Cubs will do some significant damage against a team they've barely beat this year, and lost 6 times to last year?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

thanks for the tips

I'll be down there for a week, but the Cubs games I'm going to are on 8/15, 8/16 and 8/17.

...are brooms allowed?
You'll be easier to spot
Old 07-29-2008, 04:24 PM
on to the next one...

How many games back are they again?

I've said it before, I'll say it again...you guys just cannot win in the dome this year. I don't know why, but the sox have been pretty pathetic here all year.

So, the sox better enjoy their paltry lead while they can... it'll be gone before they leave God's country.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

^ THE LEAD'LL HOLD!
Old 07-29-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
^ THE LEAD'LL HOLD!

Old 07-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Scottman111
Zipit, Lubeman111...
Old 07-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Race Director

unexpected result last night, we left Miller Park with my W flag waving. Oh, and Brewers fans are seriously stuck in the 90s. "Hey, Cubs fan, does the W stand for WUSSY, or WHIMP?"
did they try to pick a fight with you?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Let's Go Pens

As a life long Braves fan I must say that trading Mark Teixeira was a bullshit move and would have never happened in previous years regardless of the current standings. I understand that the season is pretty much a moot point by now... Regardless of the excuses about injuries we just don't compete for 9 innings and don't even deserve to be as close as 7 games...atleast the Nationals play nine full innings and just don't have the talent to really compete in the division. This trade is a sign of waiving the white flag but giving up like this is complete bullshit. Baseball is just one of those sports that anything can happen and giving up is just not acceptable.. Giving up is exactly what the Braves have just done. I have never questioned the Braves moves in the past but this one has struck a serious nerve. Wren says this is a move to build for the future... What future? Teixeira could have been our first baseman for many years to come... Sure he might have been worth 20mil a year in a different uniform but Tex wanted to finish his career as a Brave and although it's a business I really think he would have given the Braves the break the needed for payroll...

Let's not forget the Braves didn't even offer Andrew a contract last year and let him leave for LA (Obviously he has been on of the worst players in the league this season... but things could have been different with him in a Braves Uniform and I again thing he would have given the Braves a massive discount...but the Braves slapped him in the face for his years of service and didn't even offer him a contract....yet they Bring back Tom Glavine...what a joke...

I think i'm done ranting... Thanks for listening and for those fans of the Mets and Phils, enjoy the race.. it's going to be a great one!

Is it hockey season yet? Let's Go Pens!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:30 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's still only in the 6th inning, but Lackey is flirting with a no-hitter against Boston

Hopefully no one caught this before the edit He just walked Pedroia

and yes, I know that smilies don't disappear in white text

Last edited by moeronn; 07-29-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Race Director

Boston got a hit

I think I would have if they didnt
Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 PM
on to the next one...

^ THE LEAD'LL HOLD!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
:ib"Who is still in first place ....."doublemiddlefingers:

Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
:ib"Who is still in first place ....."doublemiddlefingers:

Oh shutup.

TWO OUTTA FOUR!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:07 AM
Senior Moderator

On the other hand...whatta game pitched by the Big Z.

Brewers = Zambranowned
Old 07-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Post Braves deal Teixeira to Angels for Kotchman, minor leaguer

To go with Evader's post above...here's the trade details between the Angels and Braves...

Story here: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3510042
Old 07-30-2008, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mokos23
did they try to pick a fight with you?
several of them. Man are they funny, some of the DUMBEST insults, NO comebacks to any of our abuse other than walking away or shutting up. Here were just some of our better insults:

-"Man, it must suck waking up everyday and realizing you're in MILWAUKEE, WI!"
-"Seriously, name me ONE thing your town has achieved...exactly"
-"Enjoy the 4 hour trip to a city 3 times less the size of yours to cheer for that 'football team' of yours. Moochers!"
-"Come talk to me when Hockey season rolls around...oh what's that?"
-"The only good thing in your town (Miller Brewing) is now leaving town, and coming to MINE"
-"Sausage Race, huh? In Chicago, we call that C*** on the cookie"

AND some of their idiotic statements:
-my friend and I were carrying my W flag on the way back to the car, cheering as we walked. Some lady comes up and says: "what does the W stand for, WUSSY?"
-"Honestly, do you really feel good here wasting your time? Why do you come here?
because I'm a diehard Cubs fan who enjoys watching his team play, and assuming gas prices don't go higher than $7.50, these tickets are cheaper and easier to get since you guys barely sell out.
"Well we've sold out the past 18 games in a row, so back off, buddy"
"We may have lost the division last year, but we're going to win it this year (silence) B!tch!"

Too funny to type it all out. It was quite fun.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Yankees acquire Pudge

Yankees get Pudge from Tigers
07/30/2008 4:29 PM ET By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- The Yankees acquired catcher Ivan Rodriguez from the Tigers on Wednesday in exchange for right-handed reliever Kyle Farnsworth.

The Yankees were in need of a catcher since Jorge Posada decided to undergo season-ending surgery on his throwing shoulder. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
I always liked Pudge.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I always liked Pudge.
Wow. Steroid for Steroid.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I always liked Pudge.
Gives them help behind the plate and at the plate. And Farnsworth, although he's been doing well lately, always scares me. He's the AL version of Isringhausen.

Quick Reply: MLB: 2008 Season Discussion Thread...