Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Major League Baseball Thread 2006 Season

Old 07-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sox have 2 12-game winners after Schilling did well last night.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:15 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
Sox have 2 12-game winners after Schilling did well last night.
Did you see this about your boy?

"Was it wise to re-sign Josh Beckett to that three-year, $30-million contract extension? He’s got name value, but consider the numbers since he left the pitcher-friendly environs of Dolphin Stadium: 122.1 innings, 4.78 ERA, on pace for 44 homers. Ignore the 12 wins (which have mostly been a function of run support), and it’s clear that Beckett has been a below-average starter this season (average AL starter has an ERA of 4.70 in 2006). Throw in Beckett’s injury history, and you don’t have a pitcher who’s worth $10 million per. Bad move by the Sox."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/powerRankings
Old 07-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Team Owner

Meh - Beckett is a decent starter, and we all know that decent starting pitching is a fairly rare commodity these days. Besides - $10m doesn't even seem like very much in the scheme of things.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by Always Dirty
Meh - Beckett is a decent starter, and we all know that decent starting pitching is a fairly rare commodity these days. Besides - $10m doesn't even seem like very much in the scheme of things.
Exactly he is not bad considering what is out there. Hell they could of resigned Pavano . We'll give you Pavano for a case of beer. Good news though Matsui is starting to take batting practice..
Old 07-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,315 Likes on 968 Posts
I think Florida will have the edge in the Beckett trade. Hanley is already a badass and Anibal's last outings have been disgusting and they make a lot less. 1 hitter last go around for Anibal. I heard rumors Lowell's getting traded to San Diego with Peavy's name in there.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Did you see this about your boy?

"Was it wise to re-sign Josh Beckett to that three-year, $30-million contract extension? He’s got name value, but consider the numbers since he left the pitcher-friendly environs of Dolphin Stadium: 122.1 innings, 4.78 ERA, on pace for 44 homers. Ignore the 12 wins (which have mostly been a function of run support), and it’s clear that Beckett has been a below-average starter this season (average AL starter has an ERA of 4.70 in 2006). Throw in Beckett’s injury history, and you don’t have a pitcher who’s worth $10 million per. Bad move by the Sox."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/powerRankings
Moving from the NL to the AL automatically bumps your ERA by 1. Injury history only counts if you pitch for the Cubs. Santana just signed for $10 million a year. He wants to be like Johan.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Doom878
I heard rumors Lowell's getting traded to San Diego with Peavy's name in there.
They've been flying around here too, but Lowell is playing damn good baseball right now and everyone seems to agree that there's no way SD is going to give up JP.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

They've been flying around here too, but Lowell is playing damn good baseball right now and everyone seems to agree that there's no way SD is going to give up JP.
Lowell>Peavy
Old 07-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

05 Peavy >>>>>>> 05 Lowell

Which is the real one?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:01 AM
My Garage

05 Peavy >>>>>>> 05 Lowell

Which is the real one?
Peavy is downright nasty, he is hurt and gets poor run support. Put a healthy Peavy on Boston and he wins 20 games and strikes out 270 batters
Old 07-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Team Owner

And a solid pitcher > a solid 3B
Old 07-21-2006, 11:19 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
More news on Shea being a little bitch: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2525630

The manager admits to challenging him to a fight. Real professional. I think the sinking ship designation might be accurate.

Come on, what Gibbons did what almsot justified.

You can't write that stuff up on the board and not expect anyone to get pissed. He was a cancer, his teamates have already said as much.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Team Owner

Oh, I don't dispute that he was a cancer at all. He souldn't like a real piece of shit, and all accounts back that up. But challenging one of your players to a fight over the sinking ship comment?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:28 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Oh, I don't dispute that he was a cancer at all. He souldn't like a real piece of shit, and all accounts back that up. But challenging one of your players to a fight over the sinking ship comment?

I said almost justified. At least he didn't head butt him.

He wrote "This is a sinkng ship" and " Play for yourself and your contract" on the teams board. What would Steinbrenner have done if one of his players did that. I'm guessing
Old 07-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Team Owner

I personally would have liked for them to have fought, but only if they had video.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:52 AM
All your base belong to

I personally would have liked for them to have fought, but only if they had video.
Maybe that can be the precursor for when Pay Per View picks up the arraignment of Barry Bonds.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:56 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
My boy Frank Thomas is back at it
Old 07-21-2006, 11:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

There's still almost half a season to go and plenty of players that hate the Manager and GM left.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,949 Likes on 14,062 Posts
Mussina rips A-Wad for sloppy defence

Canadian Press

7/21/2006 12:04:32 AM

TORONTO (CP) - Mike Mussina didn't mince words when asked whether Alex Rodriguez was hurting the New York Yankees with his sloppy defence.

"I don't know what's going on," said a pained Mussina. "I know he's played better. I know he's disappointed in the way he's playing. It's not him right now. We need him back the way he's supposed to be."

A throwing error by Rodriguez led to a four-run sixth inning for the Toronto Blue Jays, but it took an 11th-inning homer from Vernon Wells to beat the Yankees 5-4 on Thursday.

Baseball's highest-paid player helped the Jays get on the board when he threw high and wide of catcher Jorge Posada while trying to throw out Aaron Hill.

"It's a play I should have made," Rodriguez said. "It got away. I just tried to throw it around the runner and kind of pulled it.

"I was a little hesitant. It was hit a little soft but I felt I had a play at home and I think I was right."

But Mussina wasn't in a forgiving mood.

"All he had to do was throw it on target," Mussina said. "He would have been out by 20 feet."

After giving up just two singles through the first five innings, New York's staff ace coughed up three straight hits after Rodriguez's gaffe as the Jays took a 4-3 lead.

"It bothers me when it all mounts up like that, especially after pitching so well for five innings," Mussina said. "When you get momentum going like that it's tough to stop."

Rodriguez has made 17 errors this season, the most by any Yankee. He made a career-high three miscues in Monday's 4-2 win over Seattle before leaving the game with a sore toe.

"It's something that's not fun to go through," he said, denying he wants out of New York. "You just keep working on it. You definitely don't want to hurt your teammates doing it but at the same time you've just got to work through it."

Yankees manager Joe Torre came to the defence of his all-star third baseman, saying Rodriguez's high profile makes him an easy target for criticism.

"He made the right play, I thought," Torre said. "It looked like he never hesitated. I didn't get any indecision on his part. It looked like the ball kind of sailed on him."

Still, Torre said the poor fielding was something Rodriguez is "going to have to answer for."

Both Torre and Rodriguez agreed the problem was mechanical and could be fixed by throwing from a different arm angle.

"When he's on top the ball is going to be truer," Torre said. "It's the same thing as a pitcher throwing sidearm. You're going to see more movement on the ball."

Rodriguez sounded confident in his ability to recover quickly.

"It's definitely mechanics," he said. "It really becomes staying on top of the baseball. Pitchers, catchers, everybody does it at some point. You've just got to get your target, get your footwork and stay on top of the baseball."
Old 07-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phipark
Seattle already has Soriano.
Link? I'm not seeing this on the M's site or on ESPN.com.

Edit: Shit. You're talking about Rafael. Ya gots me.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Something we can both enjoy.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:12 PM
All your base belong to

Originally Posted by waTSX
Link? I'm not seeing this on the M's site or on ESPN.com.
I am assuming he meant this Soriano as a joke, http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=6662.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
Something we can both enjoy.
Well, for sure...we have a common enemy...!

But when the Twins play the ChiSox, all gloves are off.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Thriller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never liked watching a-rod make throws from 3rd. It doesn't look fluid at all... he just has a strong arm. A local radio sportcaster in NY has been throwing it out there that a-rod needs his vision checked...he might be right.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Suzuka Master

The Sox needed another solid starter and they got one. So what if his numbers haven't been stellar just yet? The simple fact is that when Josh takes the mound, the Sox are winning a high percentage of games. As a former pitcher, I will say that the important piece to a team is not that your stats are phenominal (which mine weren't bad in HS and in tournament team competition), it's if your team wins games that you contribute in.

If my team was able to put up good numbers and keep me comfortably on the mound for 6-7 innings with a decent lead, I knew that I could keep getting outs without having to play like I'm in a 1-run game. I was able to relax and save my arm for future starts and not have to force my game. That usually translates to letting a couple pitches go here and there and ending up with a couple extra earned runs.

In closer games, big-time pitchers usually put up better stats knowing that they need to step it up. Josh is a guy that can bring that to the table for the Sox. He's going to prove himself in a big market for a number of years, and be a better end of the deal than anyone that the Fish got.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

And Youk goes back to 3rd... Hee-Seop Choi up from Pawtucket on first platooning w/ Ortiz, so Wily Mo can DH some games... Hmmm... can't see Wily Mo on first tho'

Lowell's having a great year, but I think they have always thought that they would only eat the first year of his contract... Third baseman aren't as hard to find as a decent starter... and if we don't have to give up any top propects, it sounds like it could work...
Old 07-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Peavy is downright nasty, he is hurt and gets poor run support. Put a healthy Peavy on Boston and he wins 20 games and strikes out 270 batters
Thing is it always takes a pitcher time to adjust to a new league and to bring him in now will just hurt the Sox. Lowell is another bat that they need and he is killing the Yankees this year. I don't fear any Sox pitcher only Ortiz & Lowell have done it to the Yanks this year. So as a Yankee fan I say..trade Lowell
Old 07-21-2006, 12:40 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley

The Sox needed another solid starter and they got one. So what if his numbers haven't been stellar just yet? The simple fact is that when Josh takes the mound, the Sox are winning a high percentage of games. As a former pitcher, I will say that the important piece to a team is not that your stats are phenominal (which mine weren't bad in HS and in tournament team competition), it's if your team wins games that you contribute in.

If my team was able to put up good numbers and keep me comfortably on the mound for 6-7 innings with a decent lead, I knew that I could keep getting outs without having to play like I'm in a 1-run game. I was able to relax and save my arm for future starts and not have to force my game. That usually translates to letting a couple pitches go here and there and ending up with a couple extra earned runs.

In closer games, big-time pitchers usually put up better stats knowing that they need to step it up. Josh is a guy that can bring that to the table for the Sox. He's going to prove himself in a big market for a number of years, and be a better end of the deal than anyone that the Fish got.
Think he was refering to Peavy
Old 07-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Team Owner

I don't know the details of this proposed trade. Why would the Padres eat so much fat contract and lose a top starter. Starters are at a premium today. Look at the Yanks picking up Ponson. Anyone want Brian Moehler when he comes off our DL? We got nice starter depth.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Senior Moderator

I don't know the details of this proposed trade. Why would the Padres eat so much fat contract and lose a top starter. Starters are at a premium today. Look at the Yanks picking up Ponson. Anyone want Brian Moehler when he comes off our DL? We got nice starter depth.
It's just a rumor...

Padres need a thirdbaseman, they called the Sox to see if Lowell was available. Sox asked about Peavy...

Rumors like this are typical before the trading deadline... Hillenbrand might be in a Padres uniform rather than Lowell...

Oh, here's an article...

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wi...tch/index.html

Welcome to the Major League Baseball trading deadline season, where you too can pick names out of a hat, throw them against the wall, and see if they stick.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Nothing like a slump to get the ChiSox's aggressive GM looking for a kick...

===========

So … Soriano?
Sox may be sold on star, or just trying to thwart Tigers

By Dave van Dyck
Tribune staff reporter

July 23, 2006, 11:15 PM CDT

While the public focus has been on acquiring a relief pitcher, White Sox general manager Ken Williams never has been afraid to make a surprising splash. Thus he didn't deny rumors Sunday that his team is among four "finalists" in the running for Washington left fielder Alfonso Soriano.

Believed also to be in the bidding are the Tigers, the Yankees and the Angels. The Nationals want young players in return, especially pitchers, and the Sox are as well stocked as any team in baseball.

Baseball sources believe Soriano, who has 31 homers and 25 stolen bases, could be dealt before the July 31 trade deadline.

But reports out of Washington on Sunday indicated that he may wish to remain a National.

"Does Alfonso need another distraction? There seems to be a race to the artificial clock," Soriano's agent Diego Bentz said. "He loves Washington. He loves his teammates and playing for Frank Robinson."

Asked about rumors that the Sox are interested in Soriano, Williams replied: "It doesn't surprise me. I knew it would come out. Whoever gets him, it will be a high price to pay."

Would the Sox be willing to trade a bright future for a shot at a second straight World Series?

"What year is this?" Williams asked. "Can't you win the 2008 championship in 2006?"

Williams was somewhat cryptic about the entire scenario, which leads to these questions:

Is he interested in Soriano, or does he just want to make sure Detroit doesn't get him?

Does he maybe just want to show interest in Soriano to drive the price so high that Detroit will have to back off?

Williams did say this: "I know what Detroit and Minnesota are trying to do. We will just have to work hard to make sure we have a chance to compete."

Another question: What happens to left fielder Scott Podsednik if the Sox acquire Soriano? Does he supplant Brian Anderson in center? Is Anderson part of the package being offered?

While saying he would see what the potential was for adding an "impact-type bat to help increase our chances to score runs at greater rate," Williams also said: "What I don't want to do is make people in the clubhouse feel uneasy. They should feel uneasy enough with the way the last week has gone."

The Sox have seen Cliff Politte released and Chris Widger designated for assignment.

Sox scouts are looking at reliable relievers who can throw the seventh or eighth innings, mostly Politte's role last year.

"What we'd like to have happen is Sean Tracey show us a little bit more and insert him into the equation," Williams said. "I would always prefer to bring in someone from the organization to fill a need than have to make a trade and give up talent.

"That said, time is getting short, and we will explore whether there is the possibility of getting an impact-type guy for that seventh-eighth-inning bridge. Or maybe there's a chance to get two guys."

Or a chance the Sox will do very little.

"Sometimes you're able to make Jose Contreras or Freddy Garcia impact-type [deals], and sometimes it's Geoff Blum," Williams said. "Who's to say that the smaller things don't turn out to be the biggest?

"We don't need a whole heck of a lot. I would prefer it if we didn't need a darned thing. [But] if we need go get outside help we will exhaust every avenue."
Old 07-23-2006, 11:57 PM
My Garage

The Sox and Tigers are turning into the Yanks and Redsox
Old 07-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Benchwarmer

Nothing like a slump to get the ChiSox's aggressive GM looking for a kick...

===========
I read that this morning. What, Williams isn't satisfied with Sandy Alomar? I'll be waving at you from the first base seats tonight in my #14 Kent Hrbek jersey.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:31 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Man after this weekend I think Manny & A-Rod need to go back to senior league ball and learn how to catch. WTF was up with Manny sliding and then kicking the ball and A-Rod wouldn't be able to hit the side of a barn.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

I read that this morning. What, Williams isn't satisfied with Sandy Alomar? I'll be waving at you from the first base seats tonight in my #14 Kent Hrbek jersey.

Well, all gloves are off now!

I call ChiSox taking 2 of 3.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Post ChiSox obtain MacDougal...Soriano to follow???

Teeheeheehee...so, it begins...

=============

Sox get a pitcher; Soriano next?

Chicago Tribune

July 24, 2006, 4:14 PM CDT

The White Sox traded a pair of minor league pitchers to the Kansas City Royals Monday for right-handed relief pitcher Mike MacDougal.

The 29-year-old McDougal (6-4, 185) has one save and hasn't given up a run in four innings of relief for Kansas City this season. He had been sidelined for much of the season with strained muscle in his right shoulder area; he was just activated July 13. Last season the 2003 American league All-Star had a 3.33 ERA in 70.1 innings and was 21-for-25 in save situations.

Kansas City Royals picked up minor-league pitchers Tyler Lumsden and Daniel Cortes. To make room for MacDougal, the White Sox will make a corresponding roster move prior to tonight's game vs. Minnesota.

Lumsden, a 23-year-old left-hander, was 9-4 with a 2.69 ERA with Double-A Birmingham. Cortes, a 19-year-old righty, went 3-9 with a 4.01 ERA and 96 strikeouts in 20 games Single-A Kannapolis.

The Sox are also "extremely close" to trading for Nationals outfielder Alfonso Soriano, a source close to the situation told ESPN The Magazine's Tim Kurkjian. The Nationals have great interest in pitcher Brandon McCarthy .

Soriano joined Washington last offseason in a trade from Texas, and the Nationals shifted him from second base to left field. Soriano is batting .288 with 31 homers, 62 RBI and 25 steals.

The slugger is scheduled to become a free agent at the end of the season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Benchwarmer

Well, all gloves are off now!

I call ChiSox taking 2 of 3.
Min 7, CHW 4

Well I guess your prediction isn't mathematically impossible. Some blond chick took a screaming foul ball off the melon one row from me last night. It wouldn't have been a bad deal except that it was hit by Ross Gload.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Min 7, CHW 4

Well I guess your prediction isn't mathematically impossible. Some blond chick took a screaming foul ball off the melon one row from me last night. It wouldn't have been a bad deal except that it was hit by Ross Gload.
Next two for ChiSox.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Francona deserves Manager of Year votes !!

While the Tigers' Jim Leyland has all but been handed the Manager of the Year award, Kevin Hench says Boston's Terry Francona deserves some love and votes.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5807798
Old 07-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Team Owner

Is he the guy that's buddies with TSG/Simmons?

Quick Reply: Major League Baseball Thread 2006 Season