Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 05:11 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^ boy, we all have digressed from the original point.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Hilarious.

Does a fighter need to drop the gloves in the playoffs to spark his team?

Does any other sport require this...? Do you see NFL players taking off their helmets and duking it out to fire up their squad? How about a nice flagrant foul in basketball to fire up the bench...?

I don't quite get it. Again, just putting it out there...I know there's a need for it based on "tradition". But, otherwise, I could go without seeing fighting in the NHL so long as the League straightens out its rule book.
The gloves didn't get dropped but it is widely regarded by the media that Shawn Thornton's line went out in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals and set the tone for how the game was going to be played. From what I recall, it was a pretty dominant victory. The skilled guys didn't set the tone, the fast guys didn't set the tone, it was the 4th line where the "goons" reside.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,945 Likes on 14,060 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
The gloves didn't get dropped but it is widely regarded by the media that Shawn Thornton's line went out in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals and set the tone for how the game was going to be played. From what I recall, it was a pretty dominant victory. The skilled guys didn't set the tone, the fast guys didn't set the tone, it was the 4th line where the "goons" reside.
The "goons" didn't throw a punch, did they...? No squaring off on ice, right? It was just some physical hockey played, right?

So, again...back to what I said, I can imagine pro hockey without fighting and still have a great game.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ just mix in a few more players that will have their careers cut short due to cheap shots.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^ just mix in a few more players that will have their careers cut short due to cheap shots.
Which is why I said earlier that if the NHL can be similar to the NFL and other leagues and have CLEAR-CUT rules and strong penalties (and fines), it is possible to also reduce and hopefully nearly eliminate the cheapshots that you're worried about...
Old 09-22-2011, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
So nice to go to a hockey game, had fun watching the scrubs play yummy's scrubs. So glad that hockey is back
Old 09-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
So nice to go to a hockey game, had fun watching the scrubs play yummy's scrubs. So glad that hockey is back
Indeed...just another few more days and the regular season starts!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

The "goons" didn't throw a punch, did they...? No squaring off on ice, right? It was just some physical hockey played, right?

So, again...back to what I said, I can imagine pro hockey without fighting and still have a great game.
Nope no punches thrown. The mere thought that this guy can throw lefts and rights and is very adept at keeping his helmet on while he craftily takes your's off before truly unleashing his fury kept everything in check.

It's a system of checks and balances. Without your Thorntons being there to write checks, things don't stay in balance.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:14 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
There was no chance whatsoever of a fight breaking out in game 7 of the Stanley cup final. So if if you think a Canuck was afraid of being punched you're dead wrong IMO. Were they intimidated? Maybe, but you're proving our point.

Solution, playoff hockey in the regular season which will never happen.

On to a more interesting topic, Shanahan got to work today, with fancy videos explaining his reasoning. I think we're going to see some long suspensions this year.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by dom
There was no chance whatsoever of a fight breaking out in game 7 of the Stanley cup final. So if if you think a Canuck was afraid of being punched you're dead wrong IMO. Were they intimidated? Maybe, but you're proving our point.

Solution, playoff hockey in the regular season which will never happen.

On to a more interesting topic, Shanahan got to work today, with fancy videos explaining his reasoning. I think we're going to see some long suspensions this year.
No I don't think I am. Here's my point......

2010-2011 Stanley cup playoffs

Round 1 vs the Habs...
Saturday, April 16, 2011, 12:23 of the 2nd period Wisniewski vs Sheriff Shane Hnidy.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/GS030132.HTM

Monday, April 18, 2011, 19:56 of the 1st period Pouliot and Ferrence (now teammates).
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/GS030133.HTM

Round 2 vs the Flyers...
Wednesday, May 4, 2011, 3:31 of the 2nd period O'Donnell and Horton.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/GS030223.HTM

Round 3 vs Tampa Bay...
Saturday, May 21, 2011, 20:00 of the 1st period M.Bergeron and Peverly.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/GS030314.HTM

Stanley Cup Finals vs Canucks...
Monday June 6th 2011, 11:16 of the 3rd period Kessler and Seidenberg.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/GS030413.HTM

Fights in every round by the eventual Stanley Cup Champions. That's my point, by the time it gets to game 7 of the final 5 different Bruins have dropped the gloves and their opponent knows it can and will happen if they cross the line.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by black label
No I don't think I am. Here's my point......

2010-2011 Stanley cup playoffs

Round 1 vs the Habs...
Saturday, April 16, 2011, 12:23 of the 2nd period Wisniewski vs Sheriff Shane Hnidy.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/GS030132.HTM

Monday, April 18, 2011, 19:56 of the 1st period Pouliot and Ferrence (now teammates).
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/GS030133.HTM

Round 2 vs the Flyers...
Wednesday, May 4, 2011, 3:31 of the 2nd period O'Donnell and Horton.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/GS030223.HTM

Round 3 vs Tampa Bay...
Saturday, May 21, 2011, 20:00 of the 1st period M.Bergeron and Peverly.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/GS030314.HTM

Stanley Cup Finals vs Canucks...
Monday June 6th 2011, 11:16 of the 3rd period Kessler and Seidenberg.
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/GS030413.HTM

Fights in every round by the eventual Stanley Cup Champions. That's my point, by the time it gets to game 7 of the final 5 different Bruins have dropped the gloves and their opponent knows it can and will happen if they cross the line.
Sure...but, for your examples, I can give you other samples of Cup teams who didn't drop their gloves at all on the way to winning it all.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:46 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Not a huge sample size, And what, 1 goon out of 4 fights? See my point?

The point we're making is the goons aren't necessary. Fighting and rough play can be handled by regular, more skilled players. There's no place in the game for them IMO.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by dom

The point we're making is the goons aren't necessary. Fighting and rough play can be handled by regular, more skilled players. There's no place in the game for them IMO.
At this point, the B's don't really employ goons. Maybe that's why I view it differently. Thornton who is our enforcer but he's no goon, he has a good hockey IQ and very good hands for a 4th line guy and is essential to the bench as a leader in many ways. IMO he's more like a Tie Domi who may not be as good as I remember him him but when he would come to the Boston Garden, he turned into a Wayne Gretzky/Mike Tyson hybrid.

I'd agree that guys like Scott who can't really play hockey at all but are just there to hurt people in fights should go but that's really up to the teams who make the decision to employ them. If they want to essentially be wasting a roster spot with a guy who can only do 1 thing that's their choice.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by dom

We seem to have 2 different discussions going here. You (primarily) are talking about goons but also refer to fighting in general.

Originally Posted by dom
Funny how none of that pressure needs to be released in the playoffs or in international tournaments. Meh, then again how much pressure could there be when paying for the Stanley Cup or Olympic Gold.

Fawkin goons desperate to remain relevant.
Originally Posted by dom
I hear you dude but that still doesn't answer the playoff/international argument. Good hockey can be played without fighting, its been proven over and over again for as long as the game has been played. That is Fact.

I don't mind fighting, I enjoy it at times, the season is too long, I get it. But its not an integral part of the game like some of these good dinosaurs want us to think it is.
I'm not looking for a fight a game, that's not what hockey is all about but like you said the season is long. Not every game plays out the same way, I've watched great games with barely any whistles and I've watched 6 on 6 brawls, they are both great hockey games in their own way. I don't want to just see it one way or the other, it's that hockey can turn into both is what makes it so unique.

^ I dunno...I'm still on the fence about fighting. I still am not sure if we need it in the game anymore.

For instance, if the NHL was explicitly clear on its rules, would the things Severyn pointed out be an issue...? Just a thought.
Again, if about this policing for the pro-fighting pundits...If the rules are very clear on a hit, do we need policing?

A clean check to say, a Crosby/Ovechkin/etc. in a game...does that require punishment? But, let's go versus a nice high-stick which the League slams a fine, suspension, and 10 min. penalty...Would that still require a fighter?

Again, just asking. And I'm with dom here...In playoffs and international play, fights are very rare...
Yummy is talking about fighting in general, not just getting rid of complete goons but taking fighting out of the game. I can half agree with Dom that complete goons are useless, but I would never want to get rid of the enforcer position that gave us guys like Domi and Thornton aren't world class players but when they play their game they can be game changers.

In regards to staged fights, sometimes its retribution for a past infraction. Sometimes they have to "take a number" because they can't risk uneven penalties at the current time.

This was all about retribution from the past, this wasn't just a "hey, you wanna go" situation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xpbTcygP1Y

Game Stats to a really boring game with 9 goals scored that you can tell by the fan reaction in the video no one enjoyed.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/GS020770.HTM
Old 09-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Keep in mind guys, I'm just putting it out there. Essentially, given how the game is these days, if the League can straighten out the rules (if it ever), I can enjoy a hockey game without the fights and not really miss a beat.

And no, I'm not talking about eliminating hitting and contact.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:28 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Agreed on all points. And yes, its up to the individual teams to get rid of the goons. Slowly happening I think but not fast enough.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:13 PM
2008 Acura TL

Received 197 Likes on 183 Posts
no place for goons (read: trevor gillies) but there is a place for fighting.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:00 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

SIMMONDS READY TO MOVE ON FROM UGLY INCIDENT IN LONDON

Philadelphia Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds is ready to move on from the ugly incident that occurred Thursday night during a contest in London, Ontario against the Detroit Red Wings.

While Simmonds was making a shootout attempt on Red Wings goaltender Jordan Pearce, a spectator threw a banana on the ice - an action that the Flyers forward would like to put in the past.

"It was unfortunate that this incident happened but I am above this sort of stuff," said Simmonds on Friday in a statement. "This is something that is out of my control. Moving forward, this incident is something I will no longer comment on so I can just focus on playing hockey for the Philadelphia Flyers."

Speaking after practice on Friday, Montreal Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban did not want to dwell on the situation or give anymore attention to the perpetrator.

"It's an unfortunate incident but it shouldn't be a story, it's not a reflection on hockey or on the people in hockey," Subban told the assembled media. "It's just an ignorant person that got into the building. This is the start of the season and we have a lot better things to talk about than some ignorant fan. I think by us even talking about it we're giving him what he wants, our focus should be on hockey."

Kevin Weekes, a former NHL goaltender and current CBC commentator, expressed his disgust over the incident on his Twitter account.

"For those that asked: I'm extremely disappointed with what happened to Wayne Simmonds tonight in London Ont," he posted. "We've taken HUGE steps to grow the game of hockey, as I speak Willie O'Ree and I are in D.C attending the Black Congressional Caucus on behalf of the NHL & ironically this takes place."

Weekes is also unfortunately speaking from experience as he was targeted by the same type of behaviour during a playoff game against the Montreal Canadiens while playing for the Carolina Hurricanes.

He was not the only member of the NHL community to take to his Twitter account to condemn the actions that took place in the stands of the John Labatt Centre in London.

St. Louis Blues forward Chris Stewart also expressed his outrage and showed support for Simmonds.

"The incident that happened in london tonight involving my best friend wayne simmonds was simply disgusting, its 2011 ppl need to grow up."

San Jose Sharks forward and London native Logan Couture also spoke out against the incident.

"Wayne Simmonds is a good friend of mine. To hear what happened to him in my hometown is awful. No need for this in sports or life."

Former Canadiens enforcer Georges Laraque suggested a solution.

"What do you think of the fan that threw a banana on the ice to mock Philadelphia Flyers player W. Simmonds? He should be ban from rinks!"

Teammate Ian Laperriere was shocked to see this type of actions taking place in today's game.

"I can't believe what happen last night during the shoot-out ... I know racism is out there but to see that at a hockey game I'm shock"

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman released a statement regarding the matter on Friday.

"We have millions of great fans who show tremendous respect for our players and for the game," said Bettman in the statement. "The obviously stupid and ignorant action by one individual is in no way representative of our fans or the people of London, Ontario."
Wow, whoever the idiot was should be tarred and feathered.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

:shakehead @ banana...
Old 09-26-2011, 11:54 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Classy move, London, Ontario.

Disgusting.

Simmonds is a great guy and a great player.
He grew up in Ontario....of all places to have this happen there?!?!?
Old 09-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Disgusting.

Meh...don't broadbrush the actions of one uneducated idiot on an entire city.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:08 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Kids been playing in the league for years, and this never happened until he rolled into London
Old 09-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

^^ Kids been playing in the league for years, and this never happened until he rolled into London
One banana does not equate to an entire arena tossing the fruit on the ice.

Just saying.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:16 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Someone, must have seen who did it. The fact that no one has come forward with some piece of info is disappointing.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:17 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

So whats the story on Drew? any progress?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Drew Bledsoe no longer plays football.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:26 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
Someone, must have seen who did it. The fact that no one has come forward with some piece of info is disappointing.

..and that's the kicker. If nobody gives this guy a beat-down in the stands for that disgusting behavior....or turns him in to security....then they are all equally guilty of the racist act IMHO.

It's a very bad mark on the community.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:27 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
So whats the story on Drew? any progress?
He's been practicing with the Knights......I thought he was staying in your basement while he's there

Go down the stairs and ask him...give us all an update
Old 09-26-2011, 03:20 PM
2008 Acura TL

Stanley Cup ChampiAns tho.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:22 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

He's been practicing with the Knights......I thought he was staying in your basement while he's there

Go down the stairs and ask him...give us all an update
Actually, Crosby is rehabbing in the basement. Those 3AM crank calls from Ovie are getting annoying

I put Drew in the Ody.
dom
Senior Moderator

Who's tat is that?
The sizzle in the Steak

-
Old 09-26-2011, 03:23 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by dom
Actually, Crosby is rehabbing in the basement. Those 3AM crank calls from Ovie are getting annoying

I put Drew in the Ody.
I'm surprised the doors to the Ody can still open.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:27 PM
2008 Acura TL

Originally Posted by dom
Who's tat is that?
mine Brad Marchand
Old 09-26-2011, 03:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I'm surprised the doors to the Ody can still open.
Who says they still open.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:39 PM
chips and smokes, lets go

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Disgusting.

There is nothing classy about London, Ont.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:41 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rounder
mine Brad Marchand
That's going to be mighty awkward once he gets traded.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by dom
Who's tat is that?
black label's
Old 09-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by dom
That's going to be mighty awkward once the hair grows back
fixed
Old 09-26-2011, 03:55 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

However, there was always something curious about Marchand's tattoo. Like the way "Stanley" nearly looked like "Starley"; and the way "champions" sure did resemble "champians."
Did the artist forget to run spell-check on Brad Marchand's ink? The answer, spelled correctly: Y-E-S.
Marchand confirmed there was a gaffe made on his Stanley Cup tattoo, in his recent "diary" for ESPN Boston:
Let me clear something up. After we won, a bunch of us got tattoos here in the dressing room of the Garden. Mine originally was misspelled. Instead of saying Stanley Cup Champions it said Stanley Cup Champians. I don't even know how that happened. After I got it, I came in the room and someone was like it says champians ... with an a.
So I went back and the tattoo guy fixed it after that. It's fixed now. It never said Starley either, not sure how that rumor got started. It's Stanley. They obviously knew how to spell Stanley Cup. The only thing that was wrong with it was an a and he turned it into an o for champions.
That's what you get for going to a tattoo "parler."

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread