Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I've lost some respect for Mario.

What I whiner!!!

Seriously, he must have lost all his memory. Did he forget the 80's and 90's?!?!!?
Lots of guys on the same roster with north of 100 PIM...and some pushing 300 PIM?!?!?

Were you not there Mario? Was the league a "travesty" then?

How 'bout the guys your rolled with Mario, Ulf, Barnaby, Kasparitis....
Caufield....you forget about him Mario?

Stop whining....suck it up Mario....you are embarrassing yourself.

You see kids, this is what happens when you tweak the league and add a devil of a rule.
The cheapshots will reach a breaking point.....and this is what happens.

Don't cry Mario....this is the NHL.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:35 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Oh the Horror!!!!!
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8g8XkbbYx8c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 02-14-2011, 10:41 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Update for Statler:

Kings: playoff odds up 6.9 to 79.7%

Hawks: playoff odds down 0.6 to 50.5%

...at this rate, the Kings should stay on the road for the rest of the season.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 AM
2008 Acura TL

Received 197 Likes on 183 Posts
I was at the pens isles game!!! Right above the Geico sign behind Johnson during that fight, first row. So awesome. I don't even care we lost the game.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Rounder
I was at the pens isles game!!! Right above the Geico sign behind Johnson during that fight, first row. So awesome. I don't even care we lost the game.
Super Mario frowns at you....and cries a lone single tear.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
I've lost some respect for Mario.

What I whiner!!!

Seriously, he must have lost all his memory. Did he forget the 80's and 90's?!?!!?
Lots of guys on the same roster with north of 100 PIM...and some pushing 300 PIM?!?!?

Were you not there Mario? Was the league a "travesty" then?

How 'bout the guys your rolled with Mario, Ulf, Barnaby, Kasparitis....
Caufield....you forget about him Mario?

Stop whining....suck it up Mario....you are embarrassing yourself.

You see kids, this is what happens when you tweak the league and add a devil of a rule.
The cheapshots will reach a breaking point.....and this is what happens.

Don't cry Mario....this is the NHL.

Ummmmmmmm back then he did comment and he didn't call it a "travesty" he called it a "garage league" if I remember correctly.

You sound like every article/blog out there trying to say b/c he played with guys or is the owner of the Pens who have Cooke on the roster that he can't speak up.

So my question to you is...... who can speak up? Gretzky can't, he played with Mcsorley etc.. Yzerman can't he played with Probert... Guess no one can speak up.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Ummmmmmmm back then he did comment and he didn't call it a "travesty" he called it a "garage league" if I remember correctly.

You sound like every article/blog out there trying to say b/c he played with guys or is the owner of the Pens who have Cooke on the roster that he can't speak up.

So my question to you is...... who can speak up? Gretzky can't, he played with Mcsorley etc.. Yzerman can't he played with Probert... Guess no one can speak up.
So Mario is too good for this "garbage" "travesty" of a league.

Well then, there's the door, Mario....don't let it hit you in the @ss on the way out!

.....hey Mario......I bet the cheapshots were less back in the day....no?

Sure you had guys fighting in the old "garbage league".....but at least "if" you attempted a cheapshot ala Cooke you would get a fist to the jaw for it.....IMMEDIATELY

...but today we have to wait for the cheapshots to reach breaking point and have a game(s) full of brawls for payback....because the straw finally broke the camel's back.

Irony: Mario whining about the league.

The league should have stayed "garbage", Mr. Lemieux. It was better back then.....but you wouldn't know, you forgot and seem to think it's the same today as yester-year.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

The King of diving retires

Colorado Avalanche forward Peter Forsberg will announce his retirement at a news conference in Denver on Monday.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=353836

Perhaps he should get the Oscar for lifetime acting achievement at this years awards in honor of his retirement.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Many feel that Cooke should have gotten more games, I read I think on SFGate this morning. But didn't hear him upset about that. I mean Cooke left his feet for that hit.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...uxrightoni.DTL

Seems that Mario is upset that his star player isn't even sitting on the bench. That didn't happen on purpose, by a player known for being nasty on the ice. But Crosby also took another hit in the Buffalo game that cemented what has happened.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 PM
nnInn

Perhaps he should get the Oscar for lifetime acting achievement at this years awards in honor of his retirement.
It's good that he knows the game has passed him by.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
...but today we have to wait for the cheapshots to reach breaking point and have a game(s) full of brawls for payback....because the straw finally broke the camel's back.
I think you just the nail on the head here. Disputes aren't settled immediately anymore, they have to wait until a game down the road and then that game gets out of hand. The last 2 brawl games the B's had were against Montreal and Dallas. The Dallas game was retribution for a 2 year old dirty hit, and the Montreal one could be very much tied to an ungentlemanly cheap shot after the game was over from Montreal.

Then you have the Pens Isles rumble in which the Isles felt it was necessary to get some retribution for the pummeling they got from the Pens a week prior. Maybe it's all hearsay but I'm hearing the pens weren't very good sports in the prior weeks win and the Isles players felt like they were being laughed at. In this case I'm not sure any rule changes would have yeilded a different result. I think that one would have just boiled over anyway because of the lack of time that passed after the previous game. I don't think it was payback for a specific cheap shot, it was more of an overall "we won't be pushed around" statement game from the Isles.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

So Mario is too good for this "garbage" "travesty" of a league.

Well then, there's the door, Mario....don't let it hit you in the @ss on the way out!

.....hey Mario......I bet the cheapshots were less back in the day....no?

Sure you had guys fighting in the old "garbage league".....but at least "if" you attempted a cheapshot ala Cooke you would get a fist to the jaw for it.....IMMEDIATELY

Irony: Mario whining about the league.

The league should have stayed "garbage", Mr. Lemieux. It was better back then.....but you wouldn't know, you forgot and seem to think it's the same today as yester-year.

Little disappointed you haven't at least mentioned Malkin being the dirtiest player in the league.. You're slipping..

Not sure about your little rants. It's like you keep pointing to the instigator rule but somehow are blaming Mario for it.. lol

Not sure what the second rant is about. I asked a question about who could or should speak up trying to have a civil discussion. But you keep on
Old 02-14-2011, 01:00 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by black label
I think you just the nail on the head here. Disputes aren't settled immediately anymore, they have to wait until a game down the road and then that game gets out of hand. The last 2 brawl games the B's had were against Montreal and Dallas. The Dallas game was retribution for a 2 year old dirty hit, and the Montreal one could be very much tied to an ungentlemanly cheap shot after the game was over from Montreal.

Then you have the Pens Isles rumble in which the Isles felt it was necessary to get some retribution for the pummeling they got from the Pens a week prior. Maybe it's all hearsay but I'm hearing the pens weren't very good sports in the prior weeks win and the Isles players felt like they were being laughed at. In this case I'm not sure any rule changes would have yeilded a different result. I think that one would have just boiled over anyway because of the lack of time that passed after the previous game. I don't think it was payback for a specific cheap shot, it was more of an overall "we won't be pushed around" statement game from the Isles.
Yup. Exactly.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Little disappointed you haven't at least mentioned Malkin being the dirtiest player in the league.. You're slipping..

Not sure about your little rants. It's like you keep pointing to the instigator rule but somehow are blaming Mario for it.. lol

Not sure what the second rant is about. I asked a question about who could or should speak up trying to have a civil discussion. But you keep on
Malkin is not the dirtiest player in the league, but he is a cheapshot artist to say the least.....and what he has to do with this topic...I dunno

...and if you can't understand how the instigator rule has brought the league to this point.....what can I say?.....You can lead a horse to water.....but...you know the rest.

Bottom line: Mario should have kept his whining mouth shut.
The Irony is amazing!
Old 02-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Malkin is not the dirtiest player in the league, but he is a cheapshot artist to say the least.....and what he has to do with this topic...I dunno

...and if you can't understand how the instigator rule has brought the league to this point.....what can I say?.....You can lead a horse to water.....but...you know the rest.

Bottom line: Mario should have kept his whining mouth shut.
The Irony is amazing!

I totally agree on the instigator rule. And hope that Mario speaking up helps change the rule. Don't think the timing was right but no one wants to speak up or say a word. NO ONE...

Again... You say Mario should keep his mouth shut.. And again I ask.. Who should speak up that doesn't have the irony you so speak of that can help change this rule you are so against? I feel like you're talking in circles.

Last edited by Jonesi; 02-14-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Many feel that Cooke should have gotten more games, I read I think on SFGate this morning. But didn't hear him upset about that. I mean Cooke left his feet for that hit.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...uxrightoni.DTL

Seems that Mario is upset that his star player isn't even sitting on the bench. That didn't happen on purpose, by a player known for being nasty on the ice. But Crosby also took another hit in the Buffalo game that cemented what has happened.
Funny, ovy leaves his feet all the time on hits... 4 games is a deccent suspension for a hit. Frankly, I thought Hailey should have been suspended for head hunting, given that he was called up specifically for this game to go after our players and goalie. I thought Gillies should have been suspended for longer given the intent to hurt, and the fact that he continued to talk shit to a player after he gave him a concussion, continually punched him in the back of the head when he was down, then continuing talking shit to a an injured player once he was sent down the ramp. I think that type of behavior is absolutely unacceptable in this league and that's what Lemieux was referring to. Lemieux called out the league in 92 when he was unhappy, and he again called out that something needs to be done. The officials lost control of the game on Friday, and that just can't happen, frankly I think he has a valid point. All you guys think that the Islanders were in the right to call up goons for one game specifically to go after specific targets?
Old 02-14-2011, 01:39 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I totally agree on the instigator rule. And hope that Mario speaking up helps change the rule. Don't think the timing was right but no one wants to speak up or say a word. NO ONE...

Again... You say Mario should keep his mouth shut.. And again I ask.. Who should speak up that doesn't have the irony you so speak of that can help change this rule you are so against? I feel like you're talking in circles.
The point is the smart "former" players are smart not to speak up, for they know they can't.

Mario is a hypocrite. He said nothing about Cooke's past cheap hits (see Savard).......or the current one(s)
The Pens lead the league in major PIM's
...that's the short list.

BTW.....Hey Mario: Nobody cares if you want to stamp your feet and threaten to leave the game.....go right ahead......and if you care so much about the state of the "travesty" "garbage league", put your $$$ where your whiny mouth is and step away.......but the truth is you proved you are a blow-hard grandstander throwing a tantrum!

Such a shame Mario....you should have thought twice before opening your trap.

Good job, Mario....way to go....publicly kick the league in the ballz....the very league that help get you that new arena....and helps keep a team in Pittsburgh.

Let's see if the league hits Mario with more than the $50k fine Deano got
Old 02-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,860 Likes on 2,580 Posts

Oh come on you know he was good at his prime which should have been long if it wasn't for injuries. I was excited again that he was going to give it one last shot and when I heard this news today was rather saddened he was already calling it quits. I think he still could play when I watched these past two games. Not at the level of his prime but still a very good line two player. His puck control and holding off opponents is second to none in my opinion.

You will be missed FOPA
Old 02-14-2011, 01:50 PM
2008 Acura TL

wasted a fucking #1 waiver claim on his ass in my yahoo league.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator

The point is the smart "former" players are smart not to speak up, for they know they can't.

Ok. Just keep repeating yourself and sounding more like a crybaby than Mario
Old 02-14-2011, 01:57 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Funny, ovy leaves his feet all the time on hits... 4 games is a deccent suspension for a hit. Frankly, I thought Hailey should have been suspended for head hunting, given that he was called up specifically for this game to go after our players and goalie. I thought Gillies should have been suspended for longer given the intent to hurt, and the fact that he continued to talk shit to a player after he gave him a concussion, continually punched him in the back of the head when he was down, then continuing talking shit to a an injured player once he was sent down the ramp. I think that type of behavior is absolutely unacceptable in this league and that's what Lemieux was referring to. Lemieux called out the league in 92 when he was unhappy, and he again called out that something needs to be done. The officials lost control of the game on Friday, and that just can't happen, frankly I think he has a valid point. All you guys think that the Islanders were in the right to call up goons for one game specifically to go after specific targets?
Ovi, has been suspended once for a bad hit, Cooke has more than a few. Your point mean nothing in this case. Mario is saying things are getting out of hand, he needs to look at his club to start with. They lead the league in fights and PIM's, IIRC or their in the top 3 or 5. Don't know the boxscore, but didn't the Pens have a goon there just for the same reason?
Old 02-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Ovi, has been suspended once for a bad hit, Cooke has more than a few. Your point mean nothing in this case. Mario is saying things are getting out of hand, he needs to look at his club to start with. They lead the league in fights and PIM's, IIRC or their in the top 3 or 5. Don't know the boxscore, but didn't the Pens have a goon there just for the same reason?

but no, no goons called up. And the Pens lead the league but they are mostly self policing fights. No line brawls.

Personally I'd rather someone say something than to continue another 5 years like we have with concussions and head shots. I just think the timing was really bad. But if it changes things, especially the instigator rule then i'll be happy.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:16 PM
2008 Acura TL

no goons lol. godard dressed because we had injuries.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:17 PM
nnInn

The brawls have been are out of control. What I also hate to see is a player trying to get back at someone after they have had a good clean, legal hit played against them. Mario going to speak up because it was his team, but it seems a bit whining, when you look at the around. He has a place to speak out as a former player. But the threat that he'll leave if things aren't more to his liking, it a little big headed.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Rounder
no goons lol. godard dressed because we had injuries.
Goddard is their goon, so much that there was plenty of talk before the season that he was really wasn't needed. So be it Pens are falling or are suspended. He's still their goon.

Last edited by jupitersolo; 02-14-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:29 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Jonsei has a point...Who can speak up? All I know is somebody should and has to.

I enjoy a good fight as much as the next guy but fighting should be banned. No other pro sports league allows it and they get along just fine. Hockey has gone this long with it but times change. Time to get rid of the Neanderthal thinking and BS 'code'. The game will be just fine without it. Want proof of how good hockey can be without fighting?

Exibit A: An NHL playoff game
Exibit B: An international game.

No fighting, not many cheap shots because players know the consequences and yet shockingly we're treated to the best games possible.

/pro fighting argument.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:32 PM
nnInn

Someone mention the other day that, can't remember (Kings or SJ) lead the league in fights a few years back, when it came time for playoffs, not one fight.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Senior Moderator

^ interesting point. And the "goons" and less skilled players sit during playoffs coincidentally. Although I'm still for the fighting just get rid of the instigator rule
Old 02-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

So you're ok with the way the islanders acted because it was against the pens? Got it...

What's funny is everyone keeps bringing up Matt Cooke, yet he wasn't even on the ice for this game. Frankly, I'm glad he wasn't...

but no, no goons called up. And the Pens lead the league but they are mostly self policing fights. No line brawls.

Personally I'd rather someone say something than to continue another 5 years like we have with concussions and head shots. I just think the timing was really bad. But if it changes things, especially the instigator rule then i'll be happy.
I would rather someone say something than let this bs go on for another 5 years. They lead in fights because they have 2 of the biggest stars in the league, which definitely calls for guys to step up and defend those players. Also, if you look at the fights that the pens are involved in, they're all straight up fights. Drop the gloves, fight one-on-one. This incident was the entire Islanders organization top to bottom seeking revenge with violence, which is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:38 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

But the threat that he'll leave if things aren't more to his liking, it a little big headed.
That part I agree with. It would have also been great if he spoke out against Cooke. Can't have it all I guess.

But its about damn time someone within the inner circle came out and spoke their mind. We need more of that.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Goddard is their goon, so much that there was plenty of talk before the season that he was really wasn't needed. So be it Pens are falling or are suspended. He's still their goon.
Yes, Godard can be considered our "goon" yet aside from a fight in the 1st period, he dind't get involved until Hailey (goon called up for just this game) Was pulled out of 1 fight and then went after our goalie. Frankly, I don't think that the goalie needed to be protected, but Godard left the bench to come to the aid of a teammate.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:44 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
So you're ok with the way the islanders acted because it was against the pens? Got it...

What's funny is everyone keeps bringing up Matt Cooke, yet he wasn't even on the ice for this game. Frankly, I'm glad he wasn't...
It's against the Pens, always love a good ass kicking when they are on the receiving end /redtext.

I bring up Cooke, because he on Mario's team. Mario has some control in how he acts on the ice. If he wants the league to change, a small part of it could come from him and what he demands of his team, his players. As I said Pens lead or top five in fights this year. Seems not a problem until the other night.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:47 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Who should speak up? Pretty simple question to answer IMHO.

The NHLPA. They have a right to speak for the current players.
If they think it's such a big issue, then I'm sure they will.

Truth is, they are fine with things the way they are...players love the instigator rule.

So...who's left to speak on behalf of the league? The league itself.

The very league and it's commissioner that got the league into this mess.

Good times eh?

Still waiting for blow-hard Mario to put his money where his mouth is......because we all know nothing is going to change. Bettman isn't going to do a thing about the rule.

Tick-tock on the Mario walking away clock!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:49 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Drink the Pens Kool-aid..... at bad timing.

If Mario said this last summer it would still be self-serving .

Truth is it's not the timing of the statement, but the statements themselves and the guy who said them.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:58 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

The very league and it's commissioner that got the league into this mess.

Good times eh?
So the only solution is to fire Colin Campbell and more importantly Gary Bettman?

Well guess who has the power to do that? Mario and all his owner buddies. So he did you a favor by getting the ball rolling.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by dom
So the only solution is to fire Colin Campbell and more importantly Gary Bettman?

Well guess who has the power to do that? Mario and all his owner buddies. So he did you a favor by getting the ball rolling.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:04 PM
nnInn

Well if this was Mario start to get rid of Bettman But it was Bettman that made sure Pens stayed in Pittsburgh and that they got to draft Sidney... Guess Bettman isn't needed by him any longer.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:09 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Well if this was Mario start to get rid of Bettman But it was Bettman that made sure Pens stayed in Pittsburgh and that they got to draft Sidney... Guess Bettman isn't needed by him any longer.
Good point.

They'd be the Hamilton Penguins if it wasn't for Bettman. But then again, any commish worth a lick would have made sure they stayed in Pittsburgh.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Drink the Pens Kool-aid..... at bad timing.

If Mario said this last summer it would still be self-serving .

Truth is it's not the timing of the statement, but the statements themselves and the guy who said them.

That's like me judging you for who you work with..

If you don't like the Pens and Mario then just say it.

But I see no point bitching about the instigator rule in one hand and bitching that no one should speak up about it in the other. But you complaining and rumbling on a forum might help the matter
Old 02-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm actually surprised the league hasn't done something about repeat offenders. They seemed to take a strong stance on Avery then gave up again. They have had several opportunities with Cooke and others. I say introduce a multiplier. Repeat offender? 2x normal length of suspension, 3x, 4x, 5x, make them less valuable when GM's are looking at them and slowly push them out of the league. That would make Cookes suspension at like 40+ games instead of the 4 or 6 games or whatever he got.

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread