Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:36 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesi
and comes the worst news for Leafs fans..... Want to bend over now and just give them Schenn for a bag of pucks?
What difference will it make? They'll suck with or without him.

So Jerry Diamico, who played so great for the the US juniors last year and looked like a blue chip prospect has 5 goals in some 40 games for the Marlies and was recently loaned to Kitchener of the OHL. Playing in Toronto is comparable to Superman playing with kryptonite stuffed in his shorts. It just makes you suck.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
poor Bruins...
Old 02-07-2011, 03:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Playing in Toronto is comparable to Superman playing with kryptonite stuffed in his shorts. It just makes you suck.

I just pissed myself!!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,948 Likes on 14,061 Posts
Hey Waldorf...not sure what the odds of our teams making the playoffs are today...BUT, yours can have the spot.

The Hawks apparently want a summer vacation.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:33 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Hey Waldorf...not sure what the odds of our teams making the playoffs are today...BUT, yours can have the spot.

But...but....but I thought Captain serious was >>>>>>>>>>>>>> * and could win games on his own...because... he's the greatest EVAR!!! Or was that Derrick Rose? I get confused as to who's ball sack you're licking this week.

You guys just lost too much. Welcome to the no playoff club.

Anyone see that giveaway by Bufilyn last night?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
But...but....but I thought Captain serious was >>>>>>>>>>>>>> * and could win games on his own...because... he's the greatest EVAR!!! Or was that Derrick Rose? I get confused as to who's ball sack you're licking this week.

You guys just lost too much. Welcome to the no playoff club.

Anyone see that giveaway by Bufilyn last night?
He's doing it all on his own...The goal last night against the Flames was all Toews. As well, he had a nice game too against the Canucks...the rest of the team? Who the eff knows.

And if anyone can pass some grit to the Hawks' 4th line...I'd love some, please.

Anyhow, let's see which Hawks team shows up tomorrow...THEY BETTER BE GOOD BECAUSE I PAID A RANSOM FOR THESE TICKETS!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Some memorable goalie fights: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html
Old 02-08-2011, 12:00 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Meh....who knows for sure.

The Kings are on the crazy long road trip from hell (Thank you stupid NBA all star game )

....talk to me after February 23.....after their last game of this insane road trip...
Old 02-08-2011, 12:03 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
FWIW odds for making the playoffs as of today:

Kings: playoff odds up 0.3 to 66.9%

Hawks: playoff odds down 0.0 to 74%

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Western.html
The Western Conference is nothing short of insanity!!!!

Update:

Kings: playoff odds up 0.1 to 70.9%

Blackhawks: playoff odds up 0.2 to 66%

Nuts!!!
Update:

Kings: playoff odds up 1.0 to 71.9%

Blackhawks: playoff odds down 10.7 to 55.3%
Old 02-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Because dom took a potshot at Captain Serious, what are the odds of the Leafs making the playoffs...?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:13 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Current odds of the Leafs making the playoffs:

playoff odds up 0.3 to 0.7%

Better than I expected
Old 02-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

0.7%...? What...?!? It's better than winning a lottery ticket...?!?

Who the eff is calculating these odds...? Clearly, not a cuz they suck at the math.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:03 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Current odds of the Leafs making the playoffs:

playoff odds up 0.3 to 0.7%

Better than I expected
Almost there.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:59 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Gem from the All Star Game:

Bailey connecting on a punch to the head of the Ducky mascot.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:08 PM
chips and smokes, lets go

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone see the KHL All Star game skills competition? Hardest shot was clocked in at over 110mph. And the longest shot competition...
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKfD8yuXY2k
Old 02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Sorry about that. Maybe you can still get a refund for the Leaf game?
Heck, I'm just thankful The Count let it happen this year. Funny thing is the Leaf's game is the priciest ticket of the year.

I feel bad for you, why don't you get a hall pass from Mrs. and we'll show ya what a real hockey club looks like!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator

edit: Disclaimer: I am NOT debating Cooke is a dirty player nor care. I'm discussing the hit and whether players need to protect themselves better. We already discussed the Cooke horseshit a month ago, no need to rehash we ALL know he's a dirty player. kthanx

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hCez3M5IobA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fast forward to 1:40. I know it's Cooke but he has a hearing today with the NHL in regards to this hit. Tyutin sees him coming, keeps his eye on him, holds onto the puck to the last minute and then turns his back. Is this just b/c it's Cooke? or is there some unwritten law or rule I'm missing?

edit: add more pics

Last edited by Jonesi; 02-09-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Interesting article on the US NHL TV contract.

http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2011/02/...u-s-tv-rights/
If Monday night’s Versus telecast of the Rangers-Red Wings game looked and sounded a lot like an NHL on NBC telecast — with Pierre McGuire “inside the glass” at rinkside along with Mike Emrick and Ed Olczyk in the booth — that’s no coincidence.

When the $30 billion joint venture transaction between Comcast and General Electric was finalized on Jan. 28, Versus programming came under control of the newly reorganized NBC Sports Group. Its head, Dick Ebersol, has made massive changes at Versus. Not only is this likely to improve the quality of its NHL telecasts, it demonstrates to the NHL how good its national cable package will be if the league renews its NBC and Versus deals.

There has been much speculation about where the NHL’s U.S. TV rights are headed, but one source who is familiar with the negotiations says talks are continuing on a long-term deal that would keep the league’s games on NBC and Versus for anywhere between four and seven years.

While there have been reports that a bidding war is developing over the NHL’s rights on both broadcast and cable, there are indications that NBC and Versus will hold onto the packages, although the rights fees will be steeper. Within the TV industry, the thinking is that NBC’s retaining the rights to the NHL is crucial, not just to its effort to upgrade Versus, but also for the prestige of NBCUniversal’s new corporate structure and the new NBC Sports Group, as the NHL contract is their first deal to be negotiated. The source added that ESPN is unlikely to win any part of the national cable package.

In addition, the source said, Flyers owner Ed Snider “won’t let the NHL leave” Versus and NBC. “And I’d be very surprised if he would devalue the brand by letting ESPN have even a secondary national cable package.” In addition to his position as a powerful NHL team owner and member of the league’s Board of Governors Executive Committee, Snider is American Chairman of Comcast Spectacor.

Another factor to be considered in favor of NBC-Versus is that Jon Litner, who was until 2005 the NHL’s chief operating officer and most recently in charge of Comcast’s regional sports networks, has just been named the president of Versus. An NHL-friendly environment for the national cable package is certainly a plus.

After spurning the NHL, ESPN has made noises about winning back the NHL’s cable package, and a segment of NHL types, fans and sports industry analysts have championed a return by the NHL as a solution to the league’s problems in parts of the U.S., despite the fact that ESPN regularly marginalized both the league and the sport, especially after it added the NBA to its programming inventory. Relegated almost entirely to ESPN 2, NHL programming was also trimmed when that channel cut back and then canceled its “NHL 2night” wrap-around show.

Hockey coverage on ESPN’s SportsCenter has always been spotty at best and did not improve when The Worldwide Leader held the NHL rights. The league departed from Disney after the 2003-04 season when ESPN said it only wanted to retain the NHL if the rights fees were reduced to no more than $30 million per year. The current NBC and Versus contracts were separately negotiated with different entities: NHL-Versus was a straight rights fee agreement worth around $75 million annually; the NHL-NBC deal was a revenue sharing agreement in which no upfront fee was paid, but the league and network split revenues after production and related costs were subtracted.
more in article
Old 02-09-2011, 09:06 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts

There's that, I'm a Penguins fan, why are they picking on my players. Cooke is a dirty player, in back to back games he hit players that could really have hurt the other. This boarding call and going after Ovie's knees on Sunday.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Fast forward to 1:40. I know it's Cooke but he has a hearing today with the NHL in regards to this hit. Tyutin sees him coming, keeps his eye on him, holds onto the puck to the last minute and then turns his back. Is this just b/c it's Cooke? or is there some unwritten law or rule I'm missing?
I'd say because it was a hit from behind coupled with Cooke jumping in the air and cannon balling into him. Add that to the issue that Cooke is a repeat offender who's style of reckless play should be removed from the game.

Accidents happen when you play a sport as fast as hockey but if Cooke is involved with this many "accidents" then they aren't really accidents they are consequences of his lack of respect for his fellow players.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

although the rights fees will be steeper
So it will be more than 'free' this time around?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Jonsei, Cooke is a dirty SOB, /story.

But I haven't seen this latest hit yet and there isn't enough of that clip you posted to offer an opinion. Although it still looks like he had time to pull up.

Why NHL'ers (outside of Tomas Kaberle) all feel the need to finish every hit no matter what position the opponent is in it what I wonder about. I guess it starts with coaching.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jupitersolo

There's that, I'm a Penguins fan, why are they picking on my players. Cooke is a dirty player, in back to back games he hit players that could really have hurt the other. This boarding call and going after Ovie's knees on Sunday.

You're a idiot. I could care less if they're going after Cooke I've said it before and I'll say it again that he's a dirty player, history all that horse shit. We just went through all this a month ago, or if it's a Pens player. I could care less if he gets suspended.

I'm talking hockey. And curious on peoples thoughts on the hit. Tyutin obviously sees him and holds the puck. If he didn't want to get hit he should pass the puck, no? or brace himself for the hit? Not stay a distance from the boards and turn your back.

If I have blinders please tell me, but STFU about the they're picking on Pens players.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Why NHL'ers (outside of Tomas Kaberle) all feel the need to finish every hit no matter what position the opponent is in it what I wonder about. I guess it starts with coaching.

You don't believe in finishing hits?

The Pens defense actually had a hard time when Fluery was even worse at moving the puck. The other team would dump it in and the D would have to play the puck since Fluery wouldn't and they just took so many hits and were beat down. The Senators were golden at finishing hits and wearing them down. Especially in playoff series.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:56 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

You don't believe in finishing hits?

The Pens defense actually had a hard time when Fluery was even worse at moving the puck. The other team would dump it in and the D would have to play the puck since Fluery wouldn't and they just took so many hits and were beat down. The Senators were golden at finishing hits and wearing them down. Especially in playoff series.
No, not every single opportunity. Especially against the end boards. How many times have we seen this story? But don't worry, they have too much 'respect' for each other to be doing it maliciously.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
No, not every single opportunity. Especially against the end boards. How many times have we seen this story? But don't worry, they have too much 'respect' for each other to be doing it maliciously.

I agree not every opportunity. And I think most players are selective. except Kaberle.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:13 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

The big topic on Toronto radio last night was Ference coming out against his own teammate. Just sounds that this issue is finally starting to boil over with at least some players.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:16 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

You're a idiot.
I'm praying for a Pens - Caps playoff round this year just so I can see you two go at it. Its heated with 30 games left. Imagine a playoff series? The anger will overflow!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
The big topic on Toronto radio last night was Ference coming out against his own teammate. Just sounds that this issue is finally starting to boil over with at least some players.

Not streaming today. More detail?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Off topic, is it my computer is are posts showing up with the text centered after post #26738?

Hockey thread looks weird
All of the text is centered
hey look a haiku
Old 02-09-2011, 10:19 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Well, Glenn Healy was on with Mcowan and basically said Ference should be thrown off the Bruins for what he said. Healy was pretty steamed about it. Said if Messier was the captain Ference would have been straightened out. I still haven't heard what Ference even said.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Found it.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...up_defenseman/

Ference spoke the truth and now he’s in trouble. He came right out and said that teammate Daniel Paille put a “bad hit’’ to the head of Dallas’s Raymond Sawada last Thursday night. Rather than blindly defend his teammate, when the whole world could see Paille was wrong, Ference said, “You can’t be hypocritical about it when it happens to you, then say it’s fine when your teammate does it. It’s a hit they’re trying to get rid of.’’

Wham. Ference violated one of those sacred tenets of sports: never go against your teammate. Always back your own guy, no matter how wrong or stupid he might be. If Pedro Martinez cowardly throws at the head of Karim Garcia because Pedro is getting his butt kicked by the Yankees, you are not allowed to say that Pedro was wrong for head-hunting. You are supposed to dummy up and play the obtuse game. You are supposed to say that probably the pitch just got away.

The Bruins have a couple of players who’ve been seriously impacted by concussions. Patrice Bergeron was hammered by Randy Jones in October 2007 and did not play again that season. Marc Savard was cheap-shotted to the head by Matt Cooke last March, suffered another concussion last month, and yesterday told us he is done for the season. Savard looked and sounded very much like a man who might retire.

So one would think there would be applause when Ference speaks out against a blind-side hit to the head (by Paille) that could have had the same impact.

No. You can’t say it about a teammate. Many athletes will tell you that if you played the game, you would know this.

“Keep it to yourself, Andrew Ference,’’ former Bruin (player and coach) Mike Milbury said on CBC’s “Hockey Night in Canada.’’ “You can’t do it. You just can’t do it. It’s unacceptable.’’

Former Bruins coach Don Cherry was more emphatic on CBC: “I don’t care if your teammate is an ax murderer. What you’ve got to say to the guy, you tell him in the dressing room. You never go to the press like Ference did and say that was a bad hit. The kid’s going to lose $23,000 over that [Paille was fined and suspended for four games]. They don’t need a guy like Ference.’’

Maybe I missed it, but I don’t remember Bill Guerin taking this kind of heat when he ripped teammate Cooke for cracking Savard.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
I'm praying for a Pens - Caps playoff round this year just so I can see you two go at it. Its heated with 30 games left. Imagine a playoff series? The anger will overflow!

That's assuming the Pens make the playoffs..
Old 02-09-2011, 10:32 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Looks a bit dirty....dude left his feet + hit from behind = league is gonna be pissed.

Sure you could argue he saw him prior to the hit, but the league hates hitting from behind.

Leaving your feet is cheap.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Considering what happened to Savard...I think it was fair of Ference to say that.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chic...is-pissed.html

The league's top-ranked unit went 0-for-9 in the past two games, contributing to two tough losses. But after the Blackhawks' 3-1 loss Monday to the Calgary Flames at the Saddledome, an upset Keith offered another reason for the team's troubles.

"[Expletive] the power play," Keith said after the game. "Nobody goes to the net to score goals. That's why we don't win."
Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Bleh...double-edged comment from Duncan Teeth. The team's stars need to be their stars. Kane and Hossa have been underwhelming so far...sure, they've been injured but still, they need to be better.

In all the games I watch, the only player going at it at full speed and effort is Toews. That's about it...and frankly, not enough. The 4th line is mediocre at best with Skille and Stalberg misplaced in those roles. Like I said, the Kings can have Chicago's playoff spot.

And yeah, there is definitely a lack of grit overall...Ladd, Eager, Burish/Fraser, Byfuglien...

That's alot of hustle and muscle that is gone...
Old 02-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom
Considering what happened to Savard...I think it was fair of Ference to say that.

To be honest it's interesting to see that side of things and some peoples opinion.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Speaking of doing a pre-flight check before taking off to hit someone...wasn't Scotty Stevens the most notorious for this...?

Just saying...I dunno if it is just more rampant now but I recall back in the 90s that "high-flying" hits were common too...? It's just that concussions seem to be more a prevalent and legitimate medical problem now...

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread