Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

2006 World Cup; Germany

Old 07-10-2006, 03:48 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
The players will get loaned out to other teams and then come back when the teams move back up to Serie A

I doubt that would be possible. Juventus/Fiorentina/Lazio/AC Milan would still need to field at least 11 players each, good enough to get relegated up twice in two years. I'm not sure how easily they could come up with a squad to do that this close to the start of the season. It would be too big of a mess. I'm sure the players wouldn't want that either.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:51 PM
I

Originally Posted by F-C
That's one possibility. Or as part of the punishment, the teams will be forced to allow the players to leave their contracts at will. We will know soon enough, the judgement is only hours away. Italian football is at the top of the world right now, they'd better not screw it by giving out reduced sentences to all those who are guilty.
Exactly. But I'm sure that the players have clauses in their contracts that makes them free agents if something like this happened.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:52 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FastAcura
I doubt that would be possible. Juventus/Fiorentina/Lazio/AC Milan would still need to field at least 11 players each, good enough to get relegated up twice in two years. I'm not sure how easily they could come up with a squad to do that this close to the start of the season. It would be too big of a mess. I'm sure the players wouldn't want that either.

Well, they would keep some of their younger up and comers. That should be more than enough.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:55 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,160 Likes on 837 Posts
That would be pretty boring then. Noone would be able to touch inter. Would Italy still get 4 Champions League spots? I heard that Toni is also linked to Bayern and Cannavaro to R. Madrid.
The way I understand it is that Italy will still get the 4 CL spots. But, the FIGC must submit the 4 teams to UEFA by the end of this month, so UEFA can setup the schedule. That is why the FIGC will announce their verdict tomorrow, with the final judgement by the end of this month.

Yeah, I also read that Toni is targeted by Inter, Madrid, and Bayern.

I'm so happy that Inter bought Grosso from Palermo BEFORE the world cup. He is definitely worth a lot more after his awsome showing in the tournament this last month.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:57 PM
I

Originally Posted by fdl
Well, they would keep some of their younger up and comers. That should be more than enough.
If I was young and I knew that other teams wanted me, I wouldn't wanna be playing in lower divisions for two years especially if i could be making much more somewhere else.

Btw, a Frenchie will be Juventus' coach next year.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:59 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fdl
With the financial backing of their owners, Juventus and Milan will have no trouble winning promotion by fielding a "B" team. The only question will be how long, based on how many levels they drop, and point penalties.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:59 PM
I

Originally Posted by F-C
The way I understand it is that Italy will still get the 4 CL spots. But, the FIGC must submit the 4 teams to UEFA by the end of this month, so UEFA can setup the schedule. That is why the FIGC will announce their verdict tomorrow, with the final judgement by the end of this month.

Yeah, I also read that Toni is targeted by Inter, Madrid, and Bayern.

I'm so happy that Inter bought Grosso from Palermo BEFORE the world cup. He is definitely worth a lot more after his awsome showing in the tournament this last month.

Mertesacker is also going to Bremen. If not this year, then next year for 1.8M Euros. 1.8 million Euros for Germany's best defender is one hell of a deal.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:03 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Mertesacker is also going to Bremen. If not this year, then next year for 1.8M Euros. 1.8 million Euros for Germany's best defender is one hell of a deal.
How do you know that it will be 1.8M Euros if no transfer has been agreed? Yeah, he's a fantastic defender.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:11 PM
I

Originally Posted by F-C
How do you know that it will be 1.8M Euros if no transfer has been agreed? Yeah, he's a fantastic defender.
It's in his contract. Mertesacker said that the only team he would want to play for is Bremen if he transfers. If they don't accept the offer from Bremen this year, he will be gone next year for sure. As long as a team offers 1.8 Million next year, he is free to go. The team actually has no say in this one. I believe Bremen is offering close to 5 Million Euros this year, which is still not much for such a defender, and he's only 21.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:18 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

It's in his contract. Mertesacker said that the only team he would want to play for is Bremen if he transfers. If they don't accept the offer from Bremen this year, he will be gone next year for sure. As long as a team offers 1.8 Million next year, he is free to go. The team actually has no say in this one. I believe Bremen is offering close to 5 Million Euros this year, which is still not much for such a defender, and he's only 21.
Pretty sweet. He must have been a Bremen fan growing up.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:26 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Well, it lookst like Materazzi is no angel himself.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance...i/video/326909

regardless, zidane should have gotten back at him on ball, a hard tackle, Vinnie Jones style. would have left with a much stronger red
Old 07-10-2006, 09:03 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by subinf
regardless, zidane should have gotten back at him on ball, a hard tackle, Vinnie Jones style. would have left with a much stronger red

Obviously Matress was TRYING to get under his skin, trying to throw him off his game. And he succeeded in spades. Zidane got beat mentally

Here's the ordeal as captured on the BBC coverage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npf4i6n8GLo

And here is a new angle. You can clearly see Matress seems to give him a pinch of the tit. I thought the french liked that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2slJ9CBnk0

And here it is with the audio captured
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ga4Je54VCg
Old 07-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
And here it is with the audio captured
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ga4Je54VCg
haha
Old 07-10-2006, 09:30 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
I wish I had the BBC feed instead of espn. i know ive only said that about 50 times this thread
Old 07-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I

Originally Posted by subinf
I wish I had the BBC feed instead of espn. i know ive only said that about 50 times this thread

Haha sounds like the Fifa series from EA Sports.

That old guy on ESPN said that Dampsey's goal against Ghana was the goal of the tournament

Last edited by FastAcura; 07-10-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:57 PM
I

Here's what I think is the fucked up part. If instant replay was allowed for referees, this red card should stand.

But none of the referees saw what happened. Once the 4th official saw the replay on the scoreboard like all the fans in the stadium, he notified the referee. This red card was actually illegal.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Banned

Old 07-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Banned

Old 07-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Banned

Old 07-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Suzuka Master

^^

Edit: And to OBE's
Old 07-11-2006, 01:31 AM
Rag & Bone

Old 07-11-2006, 02:17 AM
101 years of heartache...

hahaha.

anyway, a little bit more of the footy talk...

The Mancs are very interested in picking up Gattuso, Fernando Torres, and Franc Ribery. Thing is, Gattuso is also being chased down by Real Madrid, as is Torres. Cristiano Ronaldo is asking to leave, and setting himself up to play for hs dream club, yet again Madrid.

As for Ribery, my Gunners are interested and he said that he wants to play for a French coach, and would not mind a move to North London at all. I believe he would be a wonderful pickup, but Arsenal really needs a CB at the moment, after Sol Campbell left us for either Fenerbache (Turkey) or Portsmouth. Yaya Toure and Appiah are also interested in Arsenal, which would make Arsenal the hotspot for Ivory Coast players.

I cannot wait for the EPL and UEFA Champions League to start up this season. Arsenal is looking DAMN good, and the Mancs are in shambles .
Old 07-11-2006, 07:59 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Here's what I think is the fucked up part. If instant replay was allowed for referees, this red card should stand.

But none of the referees saw what happened. Once the 4th official saw the replay on the scoreboard like all the fans in the stadium, he notified the referee. This red card was actually illegal.
Are you sure it's illegal? I read some article yesterday saying there is nothing illegal about the ref making a decision based on watching the video replay.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:12 AM
I

Originally Posted by F-C
Are you sure it's illegal? I read some article yesterday saying there is nothing illegal about the ref making a decision based on watching the video replay.
I don't see how this can't be illegal. There are a lot of close calls on the pitch. Looking at replays on some of them like this foul, and not at others, like being taken down in the penalty box, would favor teams.

If they use the replay, they have to be consistant.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:38 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I don't see how this can't be illegal. There are a lot of close calls on the pitch. Looking at replays on some of them like this foul, and not at others, like being taken down in the penalty box, would favor teams.

If they use the replay, they have to be consistant.
I don't think there is anything in FIFA's rules about refs not allowed to use video replays. (which is what the British article said) Obviously, you can not stop play to review a video, but this incident occured when play was already stopped. Anyway, justice was done.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
Obviously Matress was TRYING to get under his skin, trying to throw him off his game. And he succeeded in spades. Zidane got beat mentally

Agreed. Oh and BTW, the video has been taken down...
Old 07-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
I don't think there is anything in FIFA's rules about refs not allowed to use video replays. (which is what the British article said) Obviously, you can not stop play to review a video, but this incident occured when play was already stopped. Anyway, justice was done.
As it was happening the announcers said that the refs are NOT allowed to look up at a video screen to use it as a tool. Either they ref or sideline officials saw it happen on the pitch, or they didn't. Those same announcers also said that the stadium did in fact show the reply while the refs were discussing the incident with each other... however, there is no proof or evidence that any of the officials watched it. Now, these were the ESPN announcers, so not sure how accurate that is, but my guess is that they're pretty spot on about it (they may be crappy at the play-by-play, but they usually have good factual information).
Old 07-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator

BTW, I was watching some replays from earlier in the year on FOX Soccer Channel of Liverpool and Arsenal, then Liverpool and someo other team (can't remember). Is it just me or are the Barclay League games better then the World Cup?

I mean the action was faster, hardly anyone took a dive, when players were down they got right up... it was great and it blew away the WC away. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Old 07-11-2006, 08:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
The British announcers made a point of saying it was not shown within the stadium. Which is why the fans kept booing. I read yesterday that neither the ref or his two assistants saw what happened but another official did.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:53 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

The last thing I would ever trust is ESPN announcers, that is why I watched the final on Univision, and I can't understand spanish.

Anyway, from the Daily Telegraph today:
The mystery over the role played by television in Zidane's dismissal also grew yesterday with Fifa strongly denying suggestions that the fourth official, Luis Medina Cantalejo, had seen a TV replay before alerting the referee, Horacio Elizondo.

Elizondo and his linesmen had clearly missed Zidane's attack on Materazzi, but after a lengthy delay the Argentine consulted Cantalejo before showing the Frenchman the red card.

Fifa said Cantalejo, a Spanish referee, would not have had access to TV replays, although there is a monitor on the officials' bench where the fifth official, in this case another Spaniard, Victoriano Giraldez Carrasco, was sitting.

The purpose of the monitor is to allow the fifth official to double check substitutions, bookings and red cards with Fifa media officers before the details are released.

Fifa insist the monitor is not used to check refereeing decisions but the delay between Zidane's attack and the red card has led to suspicions that this was the first time TV evidence was used to help a referee.

But Fifa spokesman Andreas Herren said: "The fourth referee saw the incident with his own eyes and told the referee and the assistant referee directly though their headsets.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:54 AM
I

Originally Posted by dom
The British announcers made a point of saying it was not shown within the stadium. Which is why the fans kept booing. I read yesterday that neither the ref or his two assistants saw what happened but another official did.

I could have sworn that Buffon was pointing at the replay when he went over to the referee, but you never know.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
The last thing I would ever trust is ESPN announcers, that is why I watched the final on Univision, and I can't understand spanish.
That's odd b/c the ESPN announcers were ripping FIFA and the stadium for showing a reply while the discussions were going on. They were saying that if the refs are not allowed to look at the screen the stadium should not be showing any replays of incidents that are under discussion. If they want to show it after the incident has been resolved, then that would be fine.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:01 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

So the ref is now claiming that he never saw the video. But why did it take him so long to inform the chief ref, if he saw it with his own eyes?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:01 AM
I

Originally Posted by juniorbean
BTW, I was watching some replays from earlier in the year on FOX Soccer Channel of Liverpool and Arsenal, then Liverpool and someo other team (can't remember). Is it just me or are the Barclay League games better then the World Cup?

I mean the action was faster, hardly anyone took a dive, when players were down they got right up... it was great and it blew away the WC away. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I think it's the pitch (close to the fans), atmosphere and camera angles that make the EPL so exciting. When I watch an MLS game on ESPN, it looks like a high school game because of where they place the camera.

I think the English game is more fast paced, which makes it more exciting to watch, but rarely successful.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:04 AM
I

Originally Posted by F-C
So the ref is now claiming that he never saw the video. But why did it take him so long to inform the chief ref, if he saw it with his own eyes?
That's what I'm trying to say. If the 4th assistant saw it right away, shouldn't the main ref be informed right away instead of a minute later? It looked like the main referee didn't know what was going on.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Suzuka Master

I think it's the pitch (close to the fans), atmosphere and camera angles that make the EPL so exciting. When I watch an MLS game on ESPN, it looks like a high school game because of where they place the camera.

I think the English game is more fast paced, which makes it more exciting to watch, but rarely successful.

The EPL is the best league to watch. Much better than watching the gameplay of the World Cup. Don't get me wrong. I get wrapped up in the Cup, I just think that the play among club-level teams is more exciting because there is a better chemistry among the players and better development through coaching and on-field leadership.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:18 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Old 07-11-2006, 09:25 AM
I

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley

The EPL is the best league to watch. Much better than watching the gameplay of the World Cup. Don't get me wrong. I get wrapped up in the Cup, I just think that the play among club-level teams is more exciting because there is a better chemistry among the players and better development through coaching and on-field leadership.

Also, there are 34 or more games in each of the top European leagues. Teams are more likely to attack more because points can be made up easier. Which is why I love Werder Bremen. A 5-2 > 2-0.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, that could be it. I found myself enjoying the game much more.

But, as I mentioned, I think the biggest thing was that players were not diving, and when the were knocked down.. they got right up. No pansy rolling around and whining. That was a nice change of pace...
Old 07-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Not only that, but when a guy takes a dive in the EPL, he gets a yellow rather quickly. They don't screw around when it comes to bringing shame to the game in England.

Quick Reply: 2006 World Cup; Germany