Northwest Alaska, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota & Washington State

All Oregon Chat #2 Chat about Rain, Cars, and Rained on Cars!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Thread killer//

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So i had some time during the weekend to change my oil and i had 2 1/2 quarts spare oil sittin around that i've been collecting from my previous oil changes. i figured i would run to baxters real quick to get 2 quarts and an oil filter and it would be a cheap oil change. Ended up spending 31+ dollars on a K&N oil filter and 2 quarts of mobile1 5w20. This was the first time buying a non-honda oil filter for me ever in my life, didn't expect to pay 14.99 for it! I figured it would be expensive (and probably a couple bucks more since it was baxters) so that didn't bother me; what did bother me was that the oil i usually get a 5 quart jug for $21.00-$24.00 at walmart (yes walmart, lol i'm one of those ppl) i paid 7.99 per quart here. Guess that's for convenience... oh well.

anyway, what kind of oil filters do you guys use? i always have used honda til now. will probably go back to honda (6+ bucks for me there) after this. Just thought i'd give it a shot plus it was inconvenient for me to run to honda by my work to get the discounted price.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rapture
Oh, you can't pop the shift lock off when the engine is running?
Of course you can, but most people would rather do it before they put the key in ignition, unless they have a pocket screwdriver or spare key sitting close.

So i had some time during the weekend to change my oil and i had 2 1/2 quarts spare oil sittin around that i've been collecting from my previous oil changes. i figured i would run to baxters real quick to get 2 quarts and an oil filter and it would be a cheap oil change. Ended up spending 31+ dollars on a K&N oil filter and 2 quarts of mobile1 5w20. This was the first time buying a non-honda oil filter for me ever in my life, didn't expect to pay 14.99 for it! I figured it would be expensive (and probably a couple bucks more since it was baxters) so that didn't bother me; what did bother me was that the oil i usually get a 5 quart jug for $21.00-$24.00 at walmart (yes walmart, lol i'm one of those ppl) i paid 7.99 per quart here. Guess that's for convenience... oh well.

anyway, what kind of oil filters do you guys use? i always have used honda til now. will probably go back to honda (6+ bucks for me there) after this. Just thought i'd give it a shot plus it was inconvenient for me to run to honda by my work to get the discounted price.
The new Honda A02 filters are made by Fram...the old A01s which were made by Filtech were awesome. I won't touch an A02 these days. I use Full filters in customer cars(blue, same dimension as Honda ones, but a little beefier)...they're like 4 bucks a piece. The anti-drain back valve is better than the A02 ones also.

BTW, Mobil 1 sucks....doesn't pass independent tests and all that jazz. Go Eneos, Valvoline, or Amsoil synthetic for a good oil.

BTW- anyone wants a 3G TL trunk mat? I have 2...trade me for a sixer of Oktoberfest or some sauerkraut.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:51 AM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
i either get fram toughgaurd or ( i think its mobile1) filter that is blue.. usually the toughgaurd though... oil is mobile1 syth 5w30 everyone has there own studies and opinions on oil.. i like mobile1
Old 10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 FS and a Mobil 1 EP filter since I bought the TL over 4 years ago. Lots of the 2G guys use it. I've read other studies that say M1 is pretty good.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Intermediate

Mobil 1 used to be good. Mobil is also the oil maker for Honda- which is a great conventional oil.

Lately, Mobil 1 has not been living up to its standards or passing independent tests, etc. I've always had consumption issues with Mobil 1 in any car I've used it in. I have several Type R owners who switched to Eneos or Amsoil and have mentioned less engine noise, less consumption, and better mileage.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, FWIW I haven't had any oil consumption problems with this car in the last 40k (it's got 106k now). The previous owner also used M1 FS. I did try RP for one change and didn't notice any difference so went back to M1.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
So if I go to Mobil 1 in the TL, I can never go back to organic, right?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:14 PM
WTF?

^ from what ive read you can do synthetic blend to synthetic... and if you want to go back you have to go to blend again then back to regular.. but you have to run the blend for 2 oil changes before you go to either one
Old 10-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
So if I go to Mobil 1 in the TL, I can never go back to organic, right?
From what I understand(definitely not an oil chemist or even hobbyist :P ), is that synthetic attaches to moving parts better than convention. When mixing, the synthetic creates a barrier the conventional cannot penetrate until the synthetic breaks down and the oils mix. Not really a big deal from conventional to synthetic, but something to think of when/if switching back.

No point in switching back either...you can go longer between oil changes with synthetic and this saves money on oil changes and can be better for the environment :P

<-- goes 5-10k between oil changes with Amsoil.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:05 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
I have a hard time buying into all of the oil hype. I've ran organic, synthetic, and blends in all of my cars at all different times without any type of priming, never had a problem. I believe in one thing, change your oil according to the intervals in the manual and you'll be fine. Whether you take it to a shop or do it yourself.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:41 PM
WTF?

^ your kid ever gonna pop out so you can take advantage of this nice weather? =)
Old 10-06-2010, 07:43 PM
I Quit

^^Took Britt off of her medication today. So really any day now, could be tonight, tomorrow, next week who knows! Suspense is killing me! We did take advantage of the nice weather though and put an offer in on a house!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 PM
WTF?

awesome!! what area are you thinking of moving to? are you selling your current? or going to rent it out?
Old 10-07-2010, 03:28 PM
I Quit

About 5 minutes away from where we are now but more footage, bigger garage. We rent right now so we'll just walk away from here and move if it all works out.

The seller has until tomorrow at 5pm to counter or accept our offer so we'll see what happens.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:35 PM
WTF?

its always a plus to have more space =) another reason why we are thinking ahead for our next place.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:54 PM
WTF?

looks like the sam bowie curse strucked the blazers again!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 06:09 PM
I Quit

At the hospital might be go time
Old 10-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Thread killer//

Originally Posted by clee109
nice! good luck! is this your first? sorry if you already answered that question... if it is get as much sleep as you can now and remember, when the baby sleeps, you sleep lol
Old 10-08-2010, 08:22 PM
WTF?

Originally Posted by clee109
GOOD LUCK!! let hope the wait is over

Originally Posted by saersxlr8
nice! good luck! is this your first? sorry if you already answered that question... if it is get as much sleep as you can now and remember, when the baby sleeps, you sleep lol
its his second
Old 10-09-2010, 02:02 AM
I Quit

Originally Posted by saersxlr8
This is the second and the last lol.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bluecarbonfiber
^ from what ive read you can do synthetic blend to synthetic... and if you want to go back you have to go to blend again then back to regular.. but you have to run the blend for 2 oil changes before you go to either one
Originally Posted by Evs-One
From what I understand(definitely not an oil chemist or even hobbyist :P ), is that synthetic attaches to moving parts better than convention. When mixing, the synthetic creates a barrier the conventional cannot penetrate until the synthetic breaks down and the oils mix. Not really a big deal from conventional to synthetic, but something to think of when/if switching back.

No point in switching back either...you can go longer between oil changes with synthetic and this saves money on oil changes and can be better for the environment :P

<-- goes 5-10k between oil changes with Amsoil.
EEEEEXXCellllant.
I had heard some rumors in the past about this, and it seems it is true.
Meanwhile, I’ve been picking fights on 4GTL forums with these IDIOTS who want to put spacers or oversized rear sway-bars on their AWD rides. Holy cow, I never realized how many people will spend their money on something that is easy to install vs. buying something that works.
Remember that cut-up beer can with wings that people were putting in their intakes?

Last edited by Mr Marco; 10-09-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:18 PM
WTF?

i dont get the oversized rear sway bar.. that kinda doesnt make sense.. i thicker on with adjustable links would be better
Old 10-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Granny Hit & Run
My lady and I decided to get breakfast at Shari's on NW 185th. While waiting for our food I noticed a little old lady was having a hard time getting her Gold Buick Park Avenue in the spot next to our TL. She backed out and ending up parking in the other empty spot (1 spot away from our car). We ate our food, paid and left. When we went out to the car I asked Carrie to check the drivers side for damage, but she didn't notice the damage. I noticed it later at Freddies (No chance it happened at FM as there was not a spot next to drivers side). Of course when we went back to Shari's granny was gone. Looks like we just had the most expensive breakfast of our lives. We should have gone to I-HOP.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 10-10-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:22 AM
AMFTW

Granny Hit & Run
My lady and I decided to get breakfast at Shari's on NW 185th. While waiting for our food I noticed a little old lady was having a hard time getting her Gold Buick Park Avenue in the spot next to our TL. She backed out and ending up parking in the other empty spot (1 spot away from our car). We ate our food, paid and left. When we went out to the car I asked Carrie to check the drivers side for damage, but she didn't notice the damage. I noticed it later at Freddies (No chance it happened at FM as there was not a spot next to drivers side). Of course when we went back to Shari's granny was gone. Looks like we just had the most expensive breakfast of our lives. We should have gone to I-HOP.
SCREW THAT!!!! I never leave it to anyone but myself to check for stuff like that. So sorry. I usually try to park where i can see my car. I've gotten up from things like that to check someones parking right after they pull in just because I'm a freak like that. ( but its usually warranted by kids flinging their doors open with no caution whatsoever!)

My wife drove my 2000 civic back in the day to her work, leaving it in the Freddies parking lot for 8 hours. SOOOO many door dings and scrapes from the horrible drivers out there. I hate these kind of people with a passion. Sorry to hear, hope it gets fixed right.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by riplee
SCREW THAT!!!! I never leave it to anyone but myself to check for stuff like that. So sorry. I usually try to park where i can see my car. I've gotten up from things like that to check someones parking right after they pull in just because I'm a freak like that. ( but its usually warranted by kids flinging their doors open with no caution whatsoever!)

My wife drove my 2000 civic back in the day to her work, leaving it in the Freddies parking lot for 8 hours. SOOOO many door dings and scrapes from the horrible drivers out there. I hate these kind of people with a passion. Sorry to hear, hope it gets fixed right.
It was such an easy spot to park in that neither one of us thought she hit our car. I try hard to avoid the door dings and the majority of issues with both cars is self inflicted damage. (like the time I scratched the RDX with the lawn mower or when Carrie forgot to open the garage door!) It hurts bad to think we could have busted her on the spot.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:41 PM
WTF?

Granny Hit & Run
man that fricken sucks!! i really hate these people out there that do that.. i dont trust anyone that parks near my car when we go out.. i wish they could make security cameras that record on vehicles so it would be easier to catch these fawkers

Originally Posted by riplee

i totally feel you my acura was side swiped by some old hag in a freddys lot.. and they took off.. i was SOOOOOOOOOO pissed!!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Suzuka Master

man that fricken sucks!! i really hate these people out there that do that.. i dont trust anyone that parks near my car when we go out.. i wish they could make security cameras that record on vehicles so it would be easier to catch these fawkers

i totally feel you my acura was side swiped by some old hag in a freddys lot.. and they took off.. i was SOOOOOOOOOO pissed!!
I actually looked for a camera in the lot or at the Key Bank next door, but no luck. Turns out our deductible is $300 on comprehensive damages like this. So I went to see my buddy at H-M Motorsports and he introduced me to John Ferris at APEX. John's shop is going to do the work for $395, and in the process, get rid of the two small scrapes from the garage door. We'll just consider it a lost cause on collecting from granny. I would like to go back over there next Sunday after church and see if she shows up again as she came alone last Sunday, presumably to meet a group for breakfast. But I'll bet she will deny, deny, deny. John also spotted a small scrape on the wheel that could only have come from that type of impact as it ran the wrong direction for it to be a curb rash, and said he found it hard to believe that she didn't know that she hit us.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:01 AM
WTF?

ya.. i find it hard as well.. i know when i hit something.. did you ever see my video of my old neighbors that hit my car in front of my house then denied it was them untill i showed them the video..

update on that video too they told our new neighbors that it was just alittle scratch and that we freaked out over nothing HAHAHA ya.. 600 bucks in damage is nothing.. riiiiiiiiiiight
Old 10-12-2010, 11:04 AM
WTF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuOA0a5vl4k

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82jAs...eature=related
Old 10-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Ha, how funny. I think I actually have seen that before. If not, it was the exact same scenario. Sitting at a computer all day, I see a lot of videos. Matter-of-fact, KillSomeTime.com should pay me. I love the cameo from the "Can Man" and his wife.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:13 PM
WTF?

yup the canman and wife are always out on garbage day.. we just start puting out our trash in the mornings instead cause they will go through everything and it annoys the hell out of me.. (side thought) it is illegal for them to take any type of can from your recycling since the companies get paid for the metal.. i learned that becoming a homeowner in our area..

it seems like i learn something new all the time in our area about laws and what you can and cant get away with.. another reason not to move to multnomah county.. they got some crazy stupid laws
Old 10-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

yup the canman and wife are always out on garbage day.. we just start puting out our trash in the mornings instead cause they will go through everything and it annoys the hell out of me.. (side thought) it is illegal for them to take any type of can from your recycling since the companies get paid for the metal.. i learned that becoming a homeowner in our area..

it seems like i learn something new all the time in our area about laws and what you can and cant get away with.. another reason not to move to multnomah county.. they got some crazy stupid laws
Yep. Buddy of mine tried to set up a bio-fuel system at his house and got into a shit-storm with the inspectors/regulators. He also got a bunch of crap for having his boat in the driveway (because there is some sort of imaginary line that runs parallel with your front door that your stuff needs to be behind (including a car you might have up on jacks). He got fed up, sold his house, and moved to Columbia co. where he can take a piss out the back door and no one cares.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:43 PM
WTF?

well i can understand if the boat is on the side of your house or something.. but like the one in the video across my street it becomes an eye sore after a while.. i guess it depreciates the value of the house too
Old 10-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

That is one very tight little street. You have to shoe horn those whips into those spots? Thinking of adding multiple cameras around the outside of my house. We had a couple of thefts (nothing major) and I would like to know who's dog is fertilizing my yard. Unfortunately, every time I get the money together I spend it on an unexpected expense like car repairs or the dentist.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Work is such a pain in the ass right now because we switched to windows 7 and creating like a hundred little issues, like "hey I can't find my printer on the network".
Old 10-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
hello guys

bought these parts last week and got them installed except the subframe bushing collars (red ring).
i never expected any change after replacing old rear suspension arms, but oh man...
my 240 started to oversteer on every hard corner just with these rear arms.
gonna have to drive carefully until i get used to this oversteer unless i'll drift into other cars

Peak Performance rear subframe bushings collars

Megan Racing rear upper control arms, rear toe arms, rear traction rods

also i dyed the carpet and front seats with SEM Flexible Coating (satin black). now the interior is full black except the roof panel.

Last edited by minkl81; 10-12-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:39 PM
WTF?

That is one very tight little street. You have to shoe horn those whips into those spots? Thinking of adding multiple cameras around the outside of my house. We had a couple of thefts (nothing major) and I would like to know who's dog is fertilizing my yard. Unfortunately, every time I get the money together I spend it on an unexpected expense like car repairs or the dentist.
my setup was about 350 total.. i would like to replce 1 camera and get 2 other cameras then i would be set

Originally Posted by minkl81
hello guys

bought these parts last week and got them installed except the subframe bushing collars (red ring).
i never expected any change after replacing old rear suspension arms, but oh man...
my 240 started to oversteer on every hard corner just with these rear arms.
gonna have to drive carefully until i get used to this oversteer unless i'll drift into other cars

Peak Performance rear subframe bushings collars

Megan Racing rear upper control arms, rear toe arms, rear traction rods

also i dyed the carpet and front seats with SEM Flexible Coating (satin black). now the interior is full black except the roof panel.
isnt the point of your car is to drift?? =)
Old 10-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Suzuka Master

^I've completely lost it in a couple cars (1 was a 911, I should have known better). The most spectacular of road excursion was the result of making the rear too tight with no room to move. The biggest factor in that crash was the rear anti-sway-bar. I cost me some paint and a wheel. That was 15 years ago..., since then I have mellowed with age, learned to appreciate over-steer, and stopped pulling my foot off the throttle like I stepped in dog shit.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:35 PM
WTF?

the only time i get huge oversteer is when i take the big loop from 26 west to 217 south
Old 10-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

You are not alone. I think it should be banked a little more. I pushed the TL hard on that corner last summer only to find a Mazda 3 right on my ass. He must have taken those P205/50R17 all-season radials right to the limit to catch up with me as I was 5 mph short of, "Hold my beer and watch this".

Quick Reply: All Oregon Chat #2 Chat about Rain, Cars, and Rained on Cars!