Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio & Wisconsin

Twin Cities Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Takata 18
Josh, get your facts right before you make a statement. This whole "deficit" was caused by the blunders of Bill Clinton and Billy Carter. This occured due to the pressure they put on Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae to allow loans with zero documentation as well as giving them to people who were financially incapable of paying them back. Either way, we haven't been in a deficit for eight years; its only been within the last three years. Pm me your email and I'll send you something you should take a look at. Sabrina says hi.
Say hi to the kids. Slepy, no. I was referring to the people you were talking about.

As far as the deficit only being in the last three years, you are out of your mind. In 2005 while I was doing my MBA in St Louis we talked about how many trillions of dollars the war was costing but how your hero Bush cut taxes. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that taxes are the government's form of income, and if you reduce income, while increasing expenses, you are going to have a problem. By the summer of 2005, every man, woman and child owed to the Japanese and Chinese governments around $8000 since they had been buying our debt for the past few years. China alone owns over 5 TRILLION dollars of our debt.

The whole mortgage meltdown that we are experiencing now did happen during Clinton's term, but like I said earlier, the president does nothing without the consent of congress and when those policies were changed, who had the majority in congress? Come on kids, say it with me...republicans!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm just dropping the whole political thing. I'd rather talk about cars, they are so much more interesting than the damn politicians that run this country. We can all spend much more useful time dealing with our vehicles. hey slepy- stick to your beliefs; I have to say for a young kid like you, I agree 100% with your opinions.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:08 PM
fu

thanks
now to the pressing issue if i have a misfiring piston, and if it might be something i want to fix
Old 11-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Ok, first, your pistons don't fire. You may have a misfire in one of your cylinders.

Next, to fix it you need to figure out which one it is, and whether it is the spark plug, or if it is a coil. There is a DIY on here about testing the coils, but it should be pretty obvious when you pull a plug as to whether or not it is firing. All of them would be white to tan in color except for the misfiring cylinder.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:29 PM
fu

Originally Posted by asujosh1
Ok, first, your pistons don't fire. You may have a misfire in one of your cylinders.
sorry, i dont have much car knowledge, and i'll be honest, i debated going with cylinder for like 5minutes.. FAIL
Old 11-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Advanced

Say hi to the kids. Slepy, no. I was referring to the people you were talking about.

As far as the deficit only being in the last three years, you are out of your mind. In 2005 while I was doing my MBA in St Louis we talked about how many trillions of dollars the war was costing but how your hero Bush cut taxes. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that taxes are the government's form of income, and if you reduce income, while increasing expenses, you are going to have a problem. By the summer of 2005, every man, woman and child owed to the Japanese and Chinese governments around $8000 since they had been buying our debt for the past few years. China alone owns over 5 TRILLION dollars of our debt.

The whole mortgage meltdown that we are experiencing now did happen during Clinton's term, but like I said earlier, the president does nothing without the consent of congress and when those policies were changed, who had the majority in congress? Come on kids, say it with me...republicans!
Josh~ in 2005, when you were in college, most of your democratic professors led you to beleive that there was a deficit of 5 trillion dollars due to the war. In 2005, I was in the workforce and i can tell you, economically, the country was running fine. the company i work for was thriving and the building industry was doing just as well. In 1977, President Carter signed the CRA, which was designed to prevent discrimination and provide affordable housing, which encouraged mortgage lending through two government sponsored enterprises (Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac).
In 1993, Bill Clinton changed those rules to allow credit to inner city and rural communities. He encouraged these communities to complain if the banks were not loaning them enough. As of 2000, 9.5 billion dollars were paid to these groups. From 1993-1998, CRA mortgage loans increased by 39%, while other loans only increased by 17%. This was during the rule of the democratic party. In 1997, Clinton ordered more rules for Fannie and Fraddie to loosen their credit for low-income borrowers.
By 2007, Fannie and Freddie owned/guarenteed 12 trillion dollars in the morgage market. And in 1998, banks began to make bad loans(1998-2008). So, come on, say it with me kids, who was in power? The DEMOCRATS!
To make matters worse, Bill Clinton appointed FRanklin James and Jamie Garelick from his own administration to run Fannie Mae, and gave them bonuses for reaching loan targets were met.
Pres. Bush proposed a new oversight committee to clean up Fannie Mae, but the democrats derailed that. So, in reality, this whole mess we're in, is due to poor overseeing of this country's financial institutions by the democratic party.

I didn't want to get too deep into this, but seeing as though I have done some research, I feel it's right to educate my friends.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 PM
fu

well, one simple question and i've turned the tc acuras against eachother. oops. haha..
but everyone is still friends right?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Advanced

LOL Absolutely we are still friends. I do not let politics detroy a friendship.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Honda Noob

Originally Posted by Takata 18
LOL Absolutely we are still friends. I do not let politics detroy a friendship.
+1!....Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:37 PM
fu

i've decided my only hope of getting some forced induction for my TL is a charity fund..
hopefully that picks up, lol..
but i am getting a job and saving what isn't going to college for a supercharger, or turbo i ek2ao2 gets that going
Old 11-06-2008, 05:38 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Jorge, you're killing me. I started working in 96 and in 2005 was working on an executive MBA, meaning I was still in the workforce, so before you go acting all high and mighty, think about what you're saying.

I love how when a democratic president does something, it is all him, congress has nothing to do with it. When a republican president does/doesn't do something & it turns out bad, it's because the democratic congress. Until 94 the democrats had the majority in congress and it was not until 2006 that they wrested it back from the republicans. Based on this information, who would you say was in power in congress from 93-98?

By the way, Freddie Mac was founded in 1970, Fannie Mae was founded in 1938, both were started as a way to work in the secondary mortgage market. Freddie Mac was formed as a competitor to Fannie Mae in order to provide a better secondary mortgage market.

Also, the construction industry was booming because of record low, I'm talking 0.5%, rate loans between banks because the Fed lowered the prime rate so far. That is what caused the housing boom, which in turn caused the bubble to burst. So I could see how you would think that the economy was great while you work in the construction equipment industry.

Call any economist and ask him what is the thing that happens to an economy just before it goes belly up. The answer you'll get is that the housing prices will go up as the Fed lowers rates and construction will increase as well to take advantage of the high real-estate prices.

Our economy is fucked not because the government made it easier for monorities to purchase a home, it is fucked because of a bunch of rich greedy bastards that work on Wall St in NYC thought that they would have cashed out by the time the shit hit the fan. Our economy is fucked because people were giving $300,000 loans to people that made $50K per year and then they would package those shitty loans up with some good ones and sell them on to the highest bidder in the secondary mortgage market, while giving them the highest rating you could get. Our economy is fucked because a bunch of people with more money than they know what to do with decided to work the system.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK.. last comment. I do agree 100% that Bill Clinton, the treasury, and whoever else was in on the decision to change the way banks are regulated screwed up. The real issue here though is that because the rules were changed, all these banks started handing out money like there was no tomorrow. That is the real problem, not the law being changed. Granted, it should not have been chaged, but you can't blame the president completely.

Lets say they lower the drinking age to 18. Some kid gets drunk and kills someone behind the wheel. Is it the kids fault (homeowners), the bars fault (the banks), or the city for changing the policy (the prez)

I think everyone would be better off getting rid of the "It's his fault" attitude, and working towards a solution. If BOB sucks, then in 4 years we will all strive to make a better decision. Although I do think Bush is a bad president, I'm not going to make a blanket statement and say all Republicans suck because of it.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Slepy - see if you can get a credit card, or a friend that has one.

Goto Autozone, and you can borrow a ODB code reader for free. All you do is put a deposit on one (it's like $250), and they let you take it. When your done, bring it back and you get all of your money back. I did this for my neighbor a month or so ago. I bought wiper blades, and brought his the code reader.

This will allow you to see what the check engine light is saying - could be a cylinder misfiring, or it could be an O2 sensor or something. It's probably best just to use the correct tool for the job though. That's why the check engine light turn on in the first place - to tell you something is wrong and to check the code.

If by some chance you can't get someone with a card, come on over to my place and we can work on your car in the garage, and I'll front the deposit. Plus if anything needs to be fixed, we can probably take care of it then too as long as the funds are available (from you... not me... lol)
Old 11-06-2008, 09:15 AM
2nd Gear

OBDII readers are usually about 20 bucks on ebay also. I was going to buy one to be safe, but never got around to it. No check engine lights so far for me *knock on wood*

And autozone rentals are the best. I did it with spring compressors where they held $40.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Do they offer other rentals as well then? I guess I never thought to ask what kind of stuff they have for use there.

That may come in handy someday. I'm assuming the tool rental would work the same way - free w/ deposit. I guess It's a way to get people in the door.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Advanced

Jorge, you're killing me. I started working in 96 and in 2005 was working on an executive MBA, meaning I was still in the workforce, so before you go acting all high and mighty, think about what you're saying.

I love how when a democratic president does something, it is all him, congress has nothing to do with it. When a republican president does/doesn't do something & it turns out bad, it's because the democratic congress. Until 94 the democrats had the majority in congress and it was not until 2006 that they wrested it back from the republicans. Based on this information, who would you say was in power in congress from 93-98?

By the way, Freddie Mac was founded in 1970, Fannie Mae was founded in 1938, both were started as a way to work in the secondary mortgage market. Freddie Mac was formed as a competitor to Fannie Mae in order to provide a better secondary mortgage market.

Also, the construction industry was booming because of record low, I'm talking 0.5%, rate loans between banks because the Fed lowered the prime rate so far. That is what caused the housing boom, which in turn caused the bubble to burst. So I could see how you would think that the economy was great while you work in the construction equipment industry.

Call any economist and ask him what is the thing that happens to an economy just before it goes belly up. The answer you'll get is that the housing prices will go up as the Fed lowers rates and construction will increase as well to take advantage of the high real-estate prices.

Our economy is fucked not because the government made it easier for monorities to purchase a home, it is fucked because of a bunch of rich greedy bastards that work on Wall St in NYC thought that they would have cashed out by the time the shit hit the fan. Our economy is fucked because people were giving $300,000 loans to people that made $50K per year and then they would package those shitty loans up with some good ones and sell them on to the highest bidder in the secondary mortgage market, while giving them the highest rating you could get. Our economy is fucked because a bunch of people with more money than they know what to do with decided to work the system.
Yes Josh your right.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
OK.. last comment. I do agree 100% that Bill Clinton, the treasury, and whoever else was in on the decision to change the way banks are regulated screwed up. The real issue here though is that because the rules were changed, all these banks started handing out money like there was no tomorrow. That is the real problem, not the law being changed. Granted, it should not have been chaged, but you can't blame the president completely.

Lets say they lower the drinking age to 18. Some kid gets drunk and kills someone behind the wheel. Is it the kids fault (homeowners), the bars fault (the banks), or the city for changing the policy (the prez)

I think everyone would be better off getting rid of the "It's his fault" attitude, and working towards a solution. If BOB sucks, then in 4 years we will all strive to make a better decision. Although I do think Bush is a bad president, I'm not going to make a blanket statement and say all Republicans suck because of it.

Yes Glow I agree, like I said before" being that the democants do control 3/4 the government now, it will be intereting to see if he does accomplish any of the things he has brain wash everyone to beleif he can do".
Old 11-06-2008, 09:47 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
Do they offer other rentals as well then? I guess I never thought to ask what kind of stuff they have for use there.

That may come in handy someday. I'm assuming the tool rental would work the same way - free w/ deposit. I guess It's a way to get people in the door.
Well I'm sure they dont have everything... but I know the have several tools for rent. Its always worth a call to see if its not a tool you see yourself using a lot.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Advanced

By the way I did not state when Freddie or Fannie were founded. This was my direct quote" In 1977, President Carter signed the CRA, which was designed to prevent discrimination and provide affordable housing, which encouraged mortgage lending through two government sponsored enterprises (Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac).
Old 11-06-2008, 01:44 PM
T-Swzy

I read more on the last two pages than my entire freshman year of college Christ.

On a completely irrelevant note. Today i'm 21 so the next time ry4an comes around we can hit that pub LOL
Old 11-06-2008, 01:48 PM
400+ WHP Coming Soon!

Politics are a joke. Lets move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carputer is installed and working great! Just need a blitzsafe now! w00t w00t
Old 11-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Happy birthday Razzi. Come on over and we'll send you down to the liquor store to get our drinks so you can break in your new 21-ness.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:31 PM
fu

happy birthday razzi!!

pics of carputer??
Old 11-06-2008, 02:43 PM
2nd Gear

happy 21st! get ready to spend more money drinking!

we should all go to a bar sometime
Old 11-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Good point Matt, now we can have meets in bars!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:58 PM
2nd Gear

Good point Matt, now we can have meets in bars!
*awaiting slepy's response*
Old 11-06-2008, 04:11 PM
fu

haha, i'll just sit outside and wait, its cool
Old 11-06-2008, 04:21 PM

Whats up bitches!
Old 11-06-2008, 05:44 PM
T-Swzy

haha so comical. he just comes out no nowhere after 50 pages and shouts what up bitches

thanks guys. i think there are like 6 groups of people who wants to see me on the ground in my own puke
Old 11-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Broke college grad

Do you live at the U razzi?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:49 PM
T-Swzy

naw. i live at home. i go to school with my lil bro so i hang around to drive him home too, which leads to some pretty long days
Old 11-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Advanced

Happy Birthday Razzi
Old 11-07-2008, 09:16 AM
T-Swzy

thanks jorge.

good news is, i pretty muched aced my last midterms so i can throw down for a few days without consequences. woot.

hey adam, you got any of them headers in stock?
Old 11-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Punctuation Nazi

So, you're still kicking it today Razzi? I guess no one was too hard on you last night for turning 21? Any big plans for the weekend?
Old 11-07-2008, 03:58 PM
T-Swzy

I dunno man lotta people wanna hitthe clubs. Wanna come with a buncha younguns?
Old 11-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Punctuation Nazi

No, I think it would be better for all involved if I left the youngun partying to you. I would most likely act like an old codger and bore you to death.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:24 PM
T-Swzy

no way man.mi'm sure you and E can get freaky lol
Old 11-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Yes, but we prefer to do that when no one's around
Old 11-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Pro

Alright! Who's up for some UNI tonight!
Old 11-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Went to a really cool play tonight at the U. One of my friends teaches acting at the U and was directing this free show that was really cool. If you guys are interested, it is showing tomorrow at 2 and Sunday at 7. The play is called 'Book of Days' and is in the Kilburn Arena Theater, 2nd Floor Rarig Center on the west bank campus.

Seriously, if you guys can make it to this event, it's free and it was really good. The show is 2.5 hours with an intermission and I have to say that I was really amazed at the quality of acting coming from a bunch of 19 year old students.

Quick Reply: Twin Cities Acuras