Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio & Wisconsin

Twin Cities Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Honda Noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeG
I'd like to race your car. Last time i dynoed i made 227whp and i just added a mod that is suppose to add 10whp at a minimum and 15whp at a max.. so it would be an interesting race. and i only say this because i pulled a newer gen TL on the freeway...

Is your car auto?
All 2G TL's are autos....unless they have done the CL-S transmission swap.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:36 PM
fu

ek20a2-- I dont know if your even checking this anymore, but how much do you think that turbo set up is going to cost? and how much would the ethanol switch cost?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Both cars weigh similar amounts, and depending on what motor you have they could have started with similar HP ratings. It would be a good race, but I don't do drag racing, it's not very interesting for me. If you want to come out to an Autocross next year, (and I have the TL) I would love to compare times and such. I bet you would do close to the other G35 times since your car is lighter than the AWD version. What would be interesting is to do 3 runs in your car and then 3 runs in my car each and try to take the driver out of the equation and just compare the cars.

When we dynoed our cars in the spring, mine had more HP than all but Glow's car, and I had the only 2nd gen TL there, all the rest were 3rd gen.

What it all comes down to though is that HP is not all there is to being fast at the track. The cars handling, suspension, differential, and especially tires mean a great deal when it comes to being fast around the bends. A demonstration of this is that a Lotus Elise and a Dodge Viper are in the same class in autocross and often times the Lotus beats the Viper even though it is over 400HP down on power.

And yes, my car is an auto.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by asujosh1
Both cars weigh similar amounts, and depending on what motor you have they could have started with similar HP ratings. It would be a good race, but I don't do drag racing, it's not very interesting for me. If you want to come out to an Autocross next year, (and I have the TL) I would love to compare times and such. I bet you would do close to the other G35 times since your car is lighter than the AWD version. What would be interesting is to do 3 runs in your car and then 3 runs in my car each and try to take the driver out of the equation and just compare the cars.

When we dynoed our cars in the spring, mine had more HP than all but Glow's car, and I had the only 2nd gen TL there, all the rest were 3rd gen.

What it all comes down to though is that HP is not all there is to being fast at the track. The cars handling, suspension, differential, and especially tires mean a great deal when it comes to being fast around the bends. A demonstration of this is that a Lotus Elise and a Dodge Viper are in the same class in autocross and often times the Lotus beats the Viper even though it is over 400HP down on power.

And yes, my car is an auto.
1 main difference about my car versus the AWD G is that with the AWD, there is a lot of understeer.. mine likes to oversteer with the right amount of throttle.

I think what would kill me on an auto X though, is the fact that mine isnt a sport model with VSLD. So id pull 1 wheel wonders around every turn GRAH.

But yea, i'd give an autox a shot. Heard it eats up tires though..
Old 10-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Punctuation Nazi

It'll eat those all-season tires that you have on there now, mostly because of how much the car weighs and how narrow the tires are.

The first set of tires I had on the TL got chewed up in about 4 events, but the set I put on for the 2nd half of the season lasted nicely. The biggest difference is that the first set had a treadwear rating of 500 and the second had 320. The harder tire was coming apart in chunks where a softer tire will just wear smoothly. If you go back a bunch of pages in this thread there is a photo of my fronts and rears next to each other. The fronts are completely destroyed, one more event and they would have been slicks.

Either way, If you are going to do an autocross next year, keep an eye on Craigslist for a cheap set of tires to replace those that are on your car now. I got a full set of brand new Michelins for $50 to put on my stock 17" wheels, and that helped a LOT.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:34 PM
8th Gear

I have 19" G coupe rims with Bridgstone Potenzas.

Think my stock 17s with cheap tires would be better?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes - for many reasons (I'm sure Josh will chime in on this too if I'm wrong)
  • 17's will be lighter than the 19s theoretically
  • 17's will be a lot cheaper than the 19's to buy rubber if you plan to use them up autoxing
  • you will get better torque with the 17's - not too many straightaways in autox
  • i would also think the 17's will add a little give, where the 19's may tend to bounce more around the corners and let loose

Some of these items may not turn you into an overnight driver, but every little bit helps. Also, because I know someone will say something - when I say you will have more torque with smaller tires, I mean acceleration. I'm not trying to say that getting smaller tires increases your ft tq by 30 or anything.

Also, just to set the record straight - I have never autocrossed before. Josh is the main guy to goto, and Takata has gone out before too. I just know everything, so I wanted to chime in before work
Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Well, there are different levels of Potenza, so it really matters what model you have on there. Also, if you have been running them for some time, then they are likely to have gotten harder in the seasons that you have driven them, meaning that they are more likely to shred.

I would recommend getting some supercheap tires that fit the 17s from Craigslist, who cares if they are good for autocrossing at this point, just find some that fit on your 17s. When you go to your first event, run those tires and then it is no big deal if you just destroy them since you have a replacement set at home. Also, if you are not into it, you aren't out that much coin. Jorge can tell you, 19s are hard to come by on CL for a decent price, so if you are just going to stick your toe in, go for the 17s. Besides, the first event is early in the spring, so you might have the 17s on there anyway.

As for what Glow said, yeah, they are most likely lighter than the 19s. Unless you are really paying attention when you buy wheels, it is real easy to add 10-15lbs per corner to your car, making it take longer to respond to bumps in the road. It will also make small bumps seem larger and large bumps seem HUGE! That said, stock wheels are usually not known for their low weight. I think the TL stock setup is something like 50lbs per corner, (I weighed the wheel/tire combo when putting them on the car) and when I went to 18s I dropped 14 lbs per corner.

We can talk more on Sunday if you want. Matt will be here too, and he knows much more about this stuff than I do. Now, if you want to take your bike to the track, I'm your man. Did that professionally for 7 years.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Punctuation Nazi

This may be a good candidate:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/890412745.html
Old 10-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Punctuation Nazi

These would be better:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/890412745.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/888210556.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/888206208.html
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/888204887.html
Old 10-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Punctuation Nazi

These would be hilarious!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/886997556.html

rollin on vogues biatch!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Punctuation Nazi

If these would fit, this would be a smoking deal. Either you or Jorge should jump on them.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/874844647.html
Old 10-30-2008, 11:04 AM
2nd Gear

We can talk more on Sunday if you want. Matt will be here too, and he knows much more about this stuff than I do. Now, if you want to take your bike to the track, I'm your man. Did that professionally for 7 years.
Yes feel free to pick my brain. I've been doing it for a while, including 2 years during college where I worked very hard to do it in the most affordable (aka cheapest) way possible.

I like to think I'm moderately successful at racing, but nationals next year will be a good way to set me in my place

Definitely go for the 17s. They are ultimately better, but dont worry about any of that. For your first few times, just focus on getting cheap sacrificial rubber. You will be hemorrhaging time during your runs due to driver error until you give it a few tries and get some instruction... so rims/tires are something that become important as you improve, but not right away. For now I'd recommend cheap ass 17s, paired with moderate tread summer performance pull-off tires. As Josh said, Craigslist is absolutely fullllll of them.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Originally Posted by marks_lude
I like to think I'm moderately successful at racing, but nationals next year will be a good way to set me in my place
Or further the obsession...
Old 10-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Ok, for this Sunday I have heard from:

Razzi
Jermaine
Blackura
Jorge
Wannabe
Matt
Glow (maybe)

Am I missing anyone?

I'll go get some burgers and cheese to cook on the grill, someone sign up for some chips, buns, and anything else you want to eat.

You are responsible for bringing any beer or what-not you want to drink.

We can get a GT5P tourney going, or play pool for a while or whatever. I will have to let you all in to the building to put your car in guest parking so you will have to call when you get here or else you'll be stuck in the garage all day.

When you pull into guest parking, find the door with the intercom on it and use code 173 to get me. I will come down and then we can put your car in the garage. Also, while I know this is a car meet, space is limited in guest parking so if you can carpool, please do.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:13 PM
8th Gear

My potenzas are REO50s (pretty sure)

And supposedly the 19s are lighter than the 17s (iforged) but idk.

I have Cooper CS4s that are on my 17s now. I should just shred them up haha
Old 10-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Sorry to tell you this, but there are 8 different kinds of RE050 tires out there.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bridgestone/bridston.jsp
Old 10-30-2008, 08:26 PM
2nd Gear

My potenzas are REO50s (pretty sure)

And supposedly the 19s are lighter than the 17s (iforged) but idk.

I have Cooper CS4s that are on my 17s now. I should just shred them up haha
Regardless of raw weight with a mounted tire, 19s will have more mass far from the center of the wheel which is what matters.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:17 PM
fu

i might be able to go to your place josh, but i don't know if mommy will let me..
Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 PM
8th Gear

Sorry to tell you this, but there are 8 different kinds of RE050 tires out there.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bridgestone/bridston.jsp
lol well idk then.

Does anyone want to part with their foglights for me? or know where i can get a set?

Old 10-30-2008, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear

Nice license plate reflection.. lol oops
Old 10-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Punctuation Nazi

Originally Posted by Slepybear
i might be able to go to your place josh, but i don't know if mommy will let me..
Uh, what?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:59 PM
8th Gear

Lol everyone gave him shit for the licence plate..

I'll see if we get my friends struts done on his 99 G20. He wants to drive out to Wisconsin on Saturday morning then maybe do his struts that afternoon, otherwise we are doin them sunday
Old 10-30-2008, 11:03 PM
fu

Uh, what?
that meet this weekend, i am going to try to go if i can, but my mom might not let me..
hah, sorry if that came out weird, but im stressed.
my grades are going up but i started this week out with 5 f's and a d-, and they are so bad my mom isn't taking away my driving (which doesn't make sense)
and she found out about me using her money to buy leds, which look sweet.
and i have 20 pages of history notes to take so there is a good chance i will be up til like 2 or 3
Old 10-31-2008, 01:29 AM
Honda Noob

Originally Posted by Slepybear
that meet this weekend, i am going to try to go if i can, but my mom might not let me..
hah, sorry if that came out weird, but im stressed.
my grades are going up but i started this week out with 5 f's and a d-, and they are so bad my mom isn't taking away my driving (which doesn't make sense)
and she found out about me using her money to buy leds, which look sweet.
and i have 20 pages of history notes to take so there is a good chance i will be up til like 2 or 3
damn, i feel old after reading that!
Old 10-31-2008, 07:52 AM
Punctuation Nazi

+1 on feeling old.

Get those damn grades up! Speaking from experience, it really does matter in getting into a college you want, and that matters in getting the job you want. Anyone that tells you that the college you go to doesn't matter has no idea what they are talking about.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:55 AM
T-Swzy

anyone that says what college you go to doesnt matter graduated from cardinal stretch university's one night a week program and is now making a whopping 12.50 an hour

i'm only a few years ahead of you matt but i've been there lol. kick ass grades in 9th, and went downhill from there. pick it up and keep it up, it'll pay off in scholarships and a cool looking rope/band/thing when you graduate.

if i went back to high school, i'd skip a few parties to get down with the founding fathers. but then again, friend of mine had a 1.2 GPA in high school and rocked a 35 on his ACT, going to college and med school for free bwaha.

so unless you're a genius, it's good to put in the effort or else you'll be stuck in some dead end job for the next 60 years cause you couldnt tighten up the last 6
Old 10-31-2008, 10:43 AM
400+ WHP Coming Soon!

I'm still around, just don't post much because some people on here are retarded and delete over 20% of my post.

Someone looking for some wheels? I got rid of the evo and have the wheels off it, they fit TL'S (Pictures below)

buy them, I don't need them!

Came off my evo, comes with hubcentric rings.

They are on my TL right now I'll pull them off tonight.

500.00 OBO.. come and get them! 50-60% tire left!

17x8 and some tires. lol

I'll even drop these off to anyone on here. Also looking to trade for anything that interest me.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:44 AM
400+ WHP Coming Soon!

Yea those are iphone pictures.. And my friggin finger.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:02 AM
2nd Gear

They look good from the side but man, that offset doesnt seem to be near high enough. I actually looked to get those rims for my s2000 but couldnt fight a high enough offset to work well.

Is there rubbing on hard cornering and/or big bumps? If they are off your evo, theres tons of evos in the area to sell to.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Yoo! you guys make me feel like a Granpa. Yes Matt she is absolutely correct. Get the grades up and doors will just open up for you when you are in the real world. As for the whole tire thing, yes they do shred in Auto X, but with no suspecion work my 19" worked great in the one even I did this year. For the record you can probably find light weight wheels in 19" if you look around. Will like to do more Auto X next year if I can afford it.

Last edited by Takata 18; 10-31-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Punctuation Nazi

If you want to do more next year, buy those 19" tires from CL that I posted a link for. Then you can shred them and save the KDWs.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:38 AM
400+ WHP Coming Soon!

They don't rub at all. They are +40 offset. Not to mention, my car is stock height.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
I wouldlike to buy them but I am going out east for the Holidays got to save some dinero you know. I might still contact and see what i can get worke out.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Punctuation Nazi

Originally Posted by ek20a2
Not to mention, my car is stock height.
So what you're saying is that you have a 4x4?

BTW, you coming on Sun?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:31 PM
400+ WHP Coming Soon!

Yea, i have a 4x4. The Suspension will be here soon. I was having a hard time debating if this car was going to be a VIP styled car or not..

I think i'm going to pick up a black one to do VIP on.

Sunday, whats sunday?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:05 PM
8th Gear

People have VIP styled TLs like yours. The guy with the G i posted up above, his buddy (who the foglights came from) has the currents and stuff in his TL lol
Old 10-31-2008, 05:45 PM
400+ WHP Coming Soon!

So whats sunday? lol
Old 10-31-2008, 05:59 PM
T-Swzy

we're gonna meet for a grilling party and some football at josh's place in downtown saint paul.

those wheels are nice man, if those wheels are open to the public i'll let my friend with a prelude know. he's been looking for a set of bronze 17s
Old 10-31-2008, 05:59 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ek20a2
So whats sunday? lol
if you scroll back several posts, or maybe even a page, there is a get together down town at joshes. Theres a little list he put up of who will make it so far.

And there will be atleast 2 wheels for GTP5 to have some drive-offs!

Quick Reply: Twin Cities Acuras